PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Rongen to be named as next TFC Academy director

Yohan
01-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Did not see this coming, but potential to be really good move. (And IMO, Rongen is overqualified for this position)

http://rednationonline.ca/ThomasRongenExpectedToBeNamedTFCsNextAcademy.aspx

Dkolish3
01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Looks good on paper, and on paper is an upgrade on Stuart Neely. However the players who came out of the academy under Neely I was very impressed with, and also Neely I felt would be the guy here for a long time. Whereas I feel that Rongen will be here only for the Dutch Connection phase of TFC. I guess I'm what I'm saying is that in order for Rongen to be worth it to me, he must for the two years (probably) that he's here, surpass by far my expectations of what Neely could have accomplished.

rocker
01-05-2012, 11:23 PM
wow... Rongen.. wasn't he just coaching that little island soccer team in WCQ?

The guy won a cup in MLS. He was also the US U-20 coach for many many years. Definitely overqualified!

I remember a picture from training camp last year of Winter and Rongen on the sidelines of a field, having a chat or something. He certainly would understand what Winter wants to do, given his Dutch and Ajax background. He also knows MLS extremely well. He's been a commentator for DC United too over the past few years.

dantdot
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Great inspiring story on this guy and American Samoa

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2011/12/13/2801146/zac-lee-rigg-how-thomas-rongen-the-soccer-witch-doctor

TFC/Everton
01-05-2012, 11:32 PM
This will be the best signing of the off-season, hands down.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow... that is impressive I must say.

I wonder how much he's getting for that gig.

TFC/Everton
01-05-2012, 11:42 PM
MLS coach of the year, came up in the Ajax system, coached the USA U-20 team for 5 years. This guy is perfect for the academy.

:drum:

Soccerpro
01-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Good hiring for the academy

ag futbol
01-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Fundamentally the academy needs two things:

1) A craftsman who can trial the players in the system as well as possible (check)
2) Someone who can navigate all the bullshit they'll get from local clubs, the OSA, etc...

Seems like a very good hire. I'd like to see them bring in someone local as well to sift through all the BS.

London
01-06-2012, 12:36 AM
looks promising

Yohan
01-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Wonder if Rongen will get introduced at the breakfast in the morning

mowe
01-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Based on his resume, he looks like the perfect candidate to me. Ajax background, extensive North American playing/coaching experience. Probably wasn't cheap either, credit to MLSE for the continued investment in the front office.

Hirings like these reinforce my faith in this management. Hopefully the results on the pitch catch up soon.

Oldtimer
01-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Based on his resume, he looks like the perfect candidate to me. Ajax background, extensive North American playing/coaching experience. Probably wasn't cheap either, credit to MLSE for the continued investment in the front office.

Hirings like these reinforce my faith in this management. Hopefully the results on the pitch catch up soon.

Wow, I wonder "how did they manage to snag someone like him?" then I realized they must have done it the old fashioned way:

http://michaelsinsight.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5520719b0883401348881c9bb970c-800wi

Certainly he is way overqualified for the position. Kudos to ML$E for shelling out big, big, bucks and getting someone with such an impressive resume. Also kudos to AW who probably pulled some personal connections to even get him to sit down at the table.

Fort York Redcoat
01-06-2012, 07:29 AM
This is great to hear. I hope he gets as much time as he wants.

denime
01-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Great pick up.

Rongen might be overqualified for this job,but down the road he can be called up to head coach the 1st team,he will know the players and system too.This way club will still have the same philosophy and system of play once Winter is gone.

ensco
01-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Looks like Rongen was in the South Pacific gig for maybe a month.

He will bring invaluable inexperience in managing transgender players

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/sports/soccer/jonny-saelua-transgender-player-helps-american-samoa-to-first-international-soccer-win.html

Detroit_TFC
01-06-2012, 09:12 AM
This is a massive signing for TFC's FO. Aside from long history of training youth players at every level, one of the things he did for US MNT was youth team pool recruitment. This guy knows a lot of players. Think of him as an uber-scout even if that is not his actual job responsiblility. Him and Mariner together, yeah buddy.

scooter
01-06-2012, 09:19 AM
this makes total sense with winters build from the youth system program
come on you reds

mastermixer
01-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Great pick up.

Rongen might be overqualified for this job,but down the road he can be called up to head coach the 1st team,he will know the players and system too.This way club will still have the same philosophy and system of play once Winter is gone.

This is exactly what I was thinking... finally this organization is planning for the future instead of patchwork signings. Maybe AW already let MLSE know he won't be staying on past 2013 so this is just preparation.

Oldtimer
01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Winter confirmed Rongen's signing at the breakfast this morning. A great scoop by one of our bloggers.

ManUtd4ever
01-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Very impressive acquisition. It's encouraging to see MLSE continue to invest wisely in the infrastucture and future of the organization. Hopefully, the trend will continue once the new ownership group is in place.

ag futbol
01-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Wow, I wonder "how did they manage to snag someone like him?" then I realized they must have done it the old fashioned way:

http://michaelsinsight.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5520719b0883401348881c9bb970c-800wi

Certainly he is way overqualified for the position. Kudos to ML$E for shelling out big, big, bucks and getting someone with such an impressive resume. Also kudos to AW who probably pulled some personal connections to even get him to sit down at the table.
Maybe, but I think at the same time he failed to get the U-20's through to the WC in the last cycle. He took a lot of shit for that, maybe some of it undeservedly. Probably helped us a touch in securing his services.

Here's a bit of a blurb about it:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/04/07/U20.real.salt.lake.mailbag/index.html

Interesting to note he spent a lot of time trying to un-earth talent. Maybe they want him to perform the same function here? maybe they feel they're missing some players?

golasogolaso
01-06-2012, 10:05 AM
it was known it would be a dutchman coming in, Rongen's involvement in the game in US is definitely a plus, over others interested in position with a much better profile/experience in youth development. key will be how AW and TR work together (the dutch ego never leads to infighting, right? ;) ) as the latter's aspirations will surely be to be a head coach again. As for paying big bucks, yes relative to current/past academy guys, not so much relative to other qualified candidates.Good luck to him.

Hugh Jazz
01-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Looks like we're collecting a small group of potential coaches within the organization which will make it easier to give longevity to the 'system'. Great news.

Canary10
01-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Well, Winter and MLSE have been saying they want the best academy system in North America. This is certainly another step in that direction. Maybe it took the debacle of the past 5 years to really get it. But I have to say, I think TFC gets it now. This will send some ripples through NA soccer. We're finally becoming a team people will take VERY seriosuly.

TorCanSoc
01-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Great inspiring story on this guy and American Samoa

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2011/12/13/2801146/zac-lee-rigg-how-thomas-rongen-the-soccer-witch-doctor

Awesome. Skip to the end, the goal-scorer says he's so happy he's going to call his wife. A tiny island nation, no kidding 76 sq. miles in total.... she could probably walk.....and she couldn't come to the game!!! Ha ha.

Anyway. Great signing for TFC. Ridiculously great snag for Roengen. He's fallen of the depth charts in American soccer, but its a bonus for us.

SoccMan
01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Good signing should be a good fit for the academy,however, Rongen does not have the greatest coaching record on paper after you take away that MLS Cup victory with D.C. United.

Canary10
01-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Good signing should be a good fit for the academy,however, Rongen does not have the greatest coaching record on paper after you take away that MLS Cup victory with D.C. United.

Well, he would be the only TFC coach with an MLS cup victory.....

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2012, 12:30 PM
no worried about his skills as a coach so much as his skills in developing players

TFCRegina
01-06-2012, 12:51 PM
no worried about his skills as a coach so much as his skills in developing players

And some would argue that Neely was born on third and thought he hit a triple.

The GTA has tonnes of soccer players, as does the rest of Canada, when you are only competing with 3 other teams for talent, it's much easier to find it.

People give a lot of credit to Neely, but I have to wonder if any coach could have trained these kids. What I think is that all they really needed was a professional environment to be in to further develop.

I guess we will see.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-06-2012, 02:37 PM
totally.
hopefully hes in place for a bit so we can see the effects

ag futbol
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
yeah, that's a very good point when we're looking at SN's track record and to a certain degree maybe the credit goes to Darren Bent as opposed to him?

Yohan
01-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Dobbers interviews Rongen. Pretty good stuff
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/12/rongen_tfc/?utm_source=Soccer%20Lineup%20RSS-Images&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=Rongen%20discusses%20TFC%20academy%2C% 20MLS%20Draft

denime
01-19-2012, 06:41 AM
He is great signing for TFC,already making moves to change the structure of TFCA and more than that.

Reds to compete with NCAA for players (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/18/reds-to-compete-with-ncaa-for-players)

Oldtimer
01-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Good interview with him in the last 10 minutes or so of the FAN590 Soccer show. Podcast here:

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/soccer_show/ss_20120119_222302--January-19-Edition-of-The-Soccer-Show.mp3

He impresses when he interviews, and his enthusiasm for working under AW is contagious.

J .
01-23-2012, 06:15 AM
^ Great interview, he seems to understand the business and future. He is not against selling players to bring in some money, part of the game. Also wants to immerse kids as young as 4 in the game.

For me the Academy development is one of the greatest parts of the club going forward, really excited about it. Our kids had a massive impact in the u-17 tournament, getting looks from EPL sides and are attracting people to it.

Good work TFC, good work.