PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Jan.05

denime
01-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Mornin`

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Williams Keen To Be Back (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/williams-keen-be-back)

Looking back on 2011 (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/04/rowaan_blog/)

MLS teams need to smarten up (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/04/mls-teams-need-to-smarten-up)

TFC related blogs ! (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29582)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Two of Major League Soccer’s biggest clubs are acting like a pair of North American minnows internationally.

This is the attitude every one of us would love to afford to take. The reality is that for MLS to succeed it needs DP's to act like they are bigger than the league. If that wasn't the case we wouldn't have the title of DP, exceptions to the regular healthy salary range of the league.

The alternative is to forget how much financial potential NA has and grow this league from the ground up slower, including the salaries. I don't think most, even around here, would have patience for it.

Darlofletch
01-05-2012, 08:22 AM
also, yeah, there's potential for injuries, but pre season training and friendlies have the same potential.

what I see is donovan, keane, gonzalez, henry and whoever being in prime mid season form at the start of our season. it may kick them in the arse towards the end, but unless injured, they'll be better for it in march.

celt-nick
01-05-2012, 08:22 AM
It has to be a balancing act for the teams/league in regards to keeping DPs happy. While fans don't want to see a club's star player get injured (I totally agree), I think in order to keep the "DP" status attractive to potential candidates, it has to come with some freedoms such as the ability to train with high profile clubs. Attracting more high profile players to the MLS is very necessary to grow the league at a decent rate and unfortunately it comes with some trade offs, like mid season friendly matches (I HATE EM!).

scooter
01-05-2012, 08:27 AM
mornin d

Canary10
01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
So who RSVPed for the breakfast tomorrow morning? And what do we expect to hear? Wonder if there may be a player announcement? ie. Plata.

ag futbol
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I think he's on the right track with that one. The money they are paying for these guys is significant and then you're basically degrading your asset by having them play an extra couple months a year. It's bad precedent to continue to allow these short term loan deals.

But hell, I might be crazy enough to think that MLS would be better off with teams that have higher median salaries but lower maximums. Never really saw the point of having million dollar designated players pass the football to 40k borderline professionals.

brad
01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I think he's on the right track with that one. The money they are paying for these guys is significant and then you're basically degrading your asset by having them play an extra couple months a year. It's bad precedent to continue to allow these short term loan deals.

But hell, I might be crazy enough to think that MLS would be better off with teams that have higher median salaries but lower maximums. Never really saw the point of having million dollar designated players pass the football to 40k borderline professionals.

To sell seats to people.

I agree with your point though. I've long thought that bringing up the quality at the bottom end of the league is the best way to improve the overall quality.

Yohan
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
To sell seats to people.

I agree with your point though. I've long thought that bringing up the quality at the bottom end of the league is the best way to improve the overall quality.
Other than Beckham, and Blanco has DPs really put extra bums on seats though? Esp with new trend of signing no names as DPs

ag futbol
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
To sell seats to people.

Yes, I know it builds awareness. Half the people who know about MLS right now probably have David Beckham to thank.

But now that we have awareness of the league, does that model sell more tickets than building up your own players internally? does it financially make sense?

Let's be real, maybe one in ten designated players is actually a draw, the rest are simply here to raise the quality of play on the field. The general public couldn't pick them out of a lineup.

I see two major problems with the DP system as it stands. One is that you're buying someone else's brand(wherever that player came from). Instead MLS should be building up its own brand, but as it stands there aren't enough Donovans and there are too many Jarju's. The talent isn't coming through locally like it should be. The second problem is (and we've probably all had friends who talk about it): the quality of play on the field. Is it terrible? to me, no. To others, it isn't watchable, and to a certain extent i can see why they think that.

I can't help but think for the same amount of money the league is investing in guys looking for one last paycheck, they could do something better with soccer heavily being a team sport, and it being hard for anyone's individual brilliance to outdo the work of 11 guys.

brad
01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Other than Beckham, and Blanco has DPs really put extra bums on seats though? Esp with new trend of signing no names as DPs

Nope - but that was the whole point of the rule, at least initially. Not to improve the quality of the teams.

C.Ronaldo
01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Nope - but that was the whole point of the rule, at least initially. Not to improve the quality of the teams.

Frings and Koves hasnt certainly improved our play.

same with dero as a DP in DC.

brad
01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Yes, I know it builds awareness. Half the people who know about MLS right now probably have David Beckham to thank.

But now that we have awareness of the league, does that model sell more tickets than building up your own players internally? does it financially make sense?

Let's be real, maybe one in ten designated players is actually a draw, the rest are simply here to raise the quality of play on the field. The general public couldn't pick them out of a lineup.

I don't really think that it raises awareness anymore. I do think the right DP in the right market could still have a huge impact financially and/or awareness wise though (think someone like Del Piero in a city with a large Italian community). Henry didn't really do much for seat sales in NY from what I recall, and that is a pretty big name DP signing.

Financially, hard to say. Some of the bigger names might be if they drive enough jersey sales and marketing opportunities.

I do think that opportunities in the US for this stuff would be far greater if they can develop US players and turn them into stars (and hold onto them).

I see two major problems with the DP system as it stands. One is that you're buying someone else's brand(wherever that player came from). Instead MLS should be building up its own brand, but as it stands there aren't enough Donovans and there are too many Jarju's. The talent isn't coming through locally like it should be. The second problem is (and we've probably all had friends who talk about it): the quality of play on the field. Is it terrible? to me, no. To others, it isn't watchable, and to a certain extent i can see why they think that.I would add a third - wage disparity, especially for under-performing DP's.

I can't help but think for the same amount of money the league is investing in guys looking for one last paycheck, they could do something better with soccer heavily being a team sport, and it being hard for anyone's individual brilliance to outdo the work of 11 guys.Agree 100%, but it's the clubs picking up the extra wages over and above the 400k cap hit, not the league. I'm not sure how they would feel about investing the $$ into no-name players vs big named player (that can sell shirts, raise profile, ect). I suspect it might vary from club to club.

Regardless, from my perspective, if you could field a team where the starting 11 is making ~ 200k/year (with maybe a few 300-400k players sprinkled in) there would be a big bump in overall quality (by removing the plumbers from the league which). If you could afford to have some quality on the bench to cause some competition for place this would further increase the quality (this is another big problem IMHO). I think this could be achievable within 5 million/year cap.

Yohan
01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

DeRo is not a DP ;)

brad
01-05-2012, 11:20 AM

They did without a doubt.

However, I still think if quality was paramount, the would allow teams to invest DP style money across the teams to bring the overall quality up. I'd rather have a good team with some depth that lacks the high end quality of the DP's than be overly reliant on one or two players.

Another question I've had for a while. The DP rule was dreamed up to let the league sign Beckham for obvious reasons. Is it still relevant?

ag futbol
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't really think that it raises awareness anymore. I do think the right DP in the right market could still have a huge impact financially and/or awareness wise though (think someone like Del Piero in a city with a large Italian community). Henry didn't really do much for seat sales in NY from what I recall, and that is a pretty big name DP signing.

Financially, hard to say. Some of the bigger names might be if they drive enough jersey sales and marketing opportunities.

I do think that opportunities in the US for this stuff would be far greater if they can develop US players and turn them into stars (and hold onto them).

I would add a third - wage disparity, especially for under-performing DP's.

Agree 100%, but it's the clubs picking up the extra wages over and above the 400k cap hit, not the league. I'm not sure how they would feel about investing the $$ into no-name players vs big named player (that can sell shirts, raise profile, ect). I suspect it might vary from club to club.

Regardless, from my perspective, if you could field a team where the starting 11 is making ~ 200k/year (with maybe a few 300-400k players sprinkled in) there would be a big bump in overall quality (by removing the plumbers from the league which). If you could afford to have some quality on the bench to cause some competition for place this would further increase the quality (this is another big problem IMHO). I think this could be achievable within 5 million/year cap.
Exactly. and you're right, there are still some markets and players where a DP spot can work effectively and satisfy both goals (financial and on field performance).

I think the best solution is to have a MLS salary base like you have right now but with it being team optional to spend X dollars more up to a maximum. Then it's up to the clubs whether they'd rather have a big name star on big dollars or a bunch of quality no-namers.

brad
01-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Exactly. and you're right, there are still some markets and players where a DP spot can work effectively and satisfy both goals (financial and on field performance).

I think the best solution is to have a MLS salary base like you have right now but with it being team optional to spend X dollars more up to a maximum. Then it's up to the clubs whether they'd rather have a big name star on big dollars or a bunch of quality no-namers.

I wonder if a system where you could trade a DP slot for decent chunk of allocation money would be right way to go? So you could have three DP's, or two DP's + 1 or 2 million worth of allocation.

I don't think they will would do the maximum thing over the cap as that would limit potential big name signings.

ag futbol
01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
^ Yeah that's another way to look at it. DP signings could be for unlimited dollars (theoretically) but you're luxury cap space could be capped off at an additional 2 million dollars of optional spending by clubs (or something like that).

What does TFC spend currently? something like just under 5 million right? For the same money....

15 players @ 100k
10 players @ 200k
2 players @ 300k
1 player @ 600k

total = 4.7 M

Oldtimer
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
The ideal cap system could be debated forever. :Yawn: What the owners have now seems to meet their needs.

Yohan
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
^Except I'd argue that domestic quality of players isn't good enough yet, that even increase in base salary isn't going to improve the overall quality that much, unless you allow for more international players (in which case, USSF would be very pissed lol)

Canary10
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Still no guesses on what will happen at the breakfast tomorrow? Or is this just another TFC stakeholder relations exercise?

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 12:06 PM
^Except I'd argue that domestic quality of players isn't good enough yet, that even increase in base salary isn't going to improve the overall quality that much, unless you allow for more international players (in which case, USSF would be very pissed lol)

Yes. The amount of times league wide fans say "He's not worth that" for the worst players far outweighs the players that get away to tier 3 Euro sides for money that isn't even close to what we would pay them here. We need more bums in seats and more coverage on the tele to compete and be where we can keep the top half of players coming through.

Waggy
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
idea tax system? right here. well 2. in a fantasy world, all sports should have the fair play cap. You can spend what you bring in. If LAG have revenues of 50 million dollars who is anyone to tell them they can't spend it on the team. That's a fantasy though.

A more plausible one, how about a soft cap-nba style. except go over the amount and its a $ per $ tax, going directly to other teams with the stipulation it's basically allocation money (so they HAVE to spend it on the club, can't just line pockets like the Marlins/Pirates). If TFC want to have a $10 million payroll and don't mind paying $17 million for it, I doubt the 8 or 9 clubs who wouldn't take advantage of the ability to spend over the cap would turn down 7 or 800 000 dollars. Especially if more than 2 or 3 teams spent like that. It could really drive up the qualify of the league fast (even Bob Kraft would have to spend money if the whole world knew he was getting $2 million in revenue from TFC/LAG/NYRB/Sea/Van/MTL/any other team that'd pay the penalty), and allow poorer/cheaper teams to still compete without risking their own money

Roogsy
01-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I like it. Very similar to the NFL which has obviously worked well for them.

Yohan
01-05-2012, 01:01 PM
idea tax system? right here. well 2. in a fantasy world, all sports should have the fair play cap. You can spend what you bring in. If LAG have revenues of 50 million dollars who is anyone to tell them they can't spend it on the team. That's a fantasy though.

A more plausible one, how about a soft cap-nba style. except go over the amount and its a $ per $ tax, going directly to other teams with the stipulation it's basically allocation money (so they HAVE to spend it on the club, can't just line pockets like the Marlins/Pirates). If TFC want to have a $10 million payroll and don't mind paying $17 million for it, I doubt the 8 or 9 clubs who wouldn't take advantage of the ability to spend over the cap would turn down 7 or 800 000 dollars. Especially if more than 2 or 3 teams spent like that. It could really drive up the qualify of the league fast (even Bob Kraft would have to spend money if the whole world knew he was getting $2 million in revenue from TFC/LAG/NYRB/Sea/Van/MTL/any other team that'd pay the penalty), and allow poorer/cheaper teams to still compete without risking their own moneyagain, without increasing international spots, all you are doing is causing massive wage inflation

as well, it causes a dependency where the weaker teams have to rely bigger teams to keep spending over the cap to get that stream of luxury tax allocation money

Whoop
01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Though the NFL has that massive TV contract that allows most teams to be competitive.

Waggy
01-05-2012, 01:08 PM
again, without increasing international spots, all you are doing is causing massive wage inflation

as well, it causes a dependency where the weaker teams have to rely bigger teams to keep spending over the cap to get that stream of luxury tax allocation money

You mean until clubs with academys start producing 1 or 2 players a year. MLS is basically the only league in the world where wage inflation is NEEDED. The lower and middle classes in MLS should be better paid. It's not just stars the MLS should look after. Then a guy who'd be deciding between a $30k offer from Toronto with the max hope of one day cracking $100k and a similar offer in pounds from a middling English club, with the off chance of working all the way through the leagues to the top of the pay grades (a-la Simeon Jackson) might decide it's more worth while to play here. Maybe then you wouldn't see random good but not great mls players make jumps to lower profile european teams. It's the only way to bring the league along. Top tier talent is great, but it's the secondary players who really need to improve before this league takes another step

Whoop
01-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I think a gradual increase in the cap over time is the way to go. As the league grows, the cap grows. You don't want to kill the league by growing salaries too fast either.

Also keep in mind changes can't be made until the next CBA.

When does the current one expire?

Yohan
01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I think a gradual increase in the cap over time is the way to go. As the league grows, the cap grows. You don't want to kill the league by growing salaries too fast either.

Also keep in mind changes can't be made until the next CBA.

When does the current one expire?

Whoop
01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
That's when I expect changes. And if I'm the MLSPA I demand an increase in the cap.

Yohan
01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
You mean until clubs with academys start producing 1 or 2 players a year. MLS is basically the only league in the world where wage inflation is NEEDED. The lower and middle classes in MLS should be better paid. It's not just stars the MLS should look after. Then a guy who'd be deciding between a $30k offer from Toronto with the max hope of one day cracking $100k and a similar offer in pounds from a middling English club, with the off chance of working all the way through the leagues to the top of the pay grades (a-la Simeon Jackson) might decide it's more worth while to play here. Maybe then you wouldn't see random good but not great mls players make jumps to lower profile european teams. It's the only way to bring the league along. Top tier talent is great, but it's the secondary players who really need to improve before this league takes another step
I agree that minimum wage of MLS players needs to increase.

But I also think MLS needs a big money TV deal (or other steady revenue stream) before any drastic increase in cap happens

KGH
01-05-2012, 01:20 PM
That's when I expect changes. And if I'm the MLSPA I demand an increase in the cap.

During the last CBA the MLSPA got some relative good increases. The minimum jumped from 34,000 to 40,000 with additional increases of 5% each year to 2015. I'm sure the MLSPA will be pushing for minimums somewhere in the $60-75k range during the next round of CBA negotiations.

Plus we keep forgetting about the new DP rules for younger players. This can effectively increase the cap while investing in younger, potential stars.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
As per John Molinaro today.

JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/#%21/JohnMolinaro) John Molinaro

Paul Mariner tells sporstnet.ca that #TFC (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TFC) is “extremely hopeful” of re-signing Joao Plata and Richard Eckersley.

So there's still hope.

jasper
01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Word on Twitter is that the schedule will be announced at 2 today.

Canary10
01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
As per John Molinaro today.

So there's still hope.

Everyone is saying the Plata deal is done. With any luck, we'll hear about it tomorrow. Ecks seems more up in the air.

Phil
01-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Word on Twitter is that the schedule will be announced at 2 today.

I have heard similar things ;)

jasper
01-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I have heard similar things ;)

here it is
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/05/mls-reveals-2012-schedule-including-mls-cup-december

Phil
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Saturday, March 17, 2012
10:00PM EDT
Seattle Toronto FC CenturyLink Field

Saturday, March 24, 2012
1:00PM EDT
Toronto FC San Jose BMO Field

Saturday, March 31, 2012
2:00PM EDT
Toronto FC Columbus BMO Field

Saturday, April 7, 2012
Montreal Toronto FC Olympic Stadium

Saturday, April 14, 2012
4:30PM EDT
Toronto FC Chivas USA BMO Field

Saturday, April 21, 2012
3:30PM EDT
NBC Sports
Toronto FC Chicago BMO Field

Saturday, April 28, 2012
9:00PM EDT
Real Salt Lake Toronto FC Rio Tinto Stadium

Saturday, May 5, 2012
Toronto FC D.C. United BMO Field

Saturday, May 19, 2012
7:30PM EDT
D.C. United Toronto FC RFK Stadium

Saturday, May 26, 2012
Toronto FC Philadelphia BMO Field

Saturday, June 16, 2012
8:30PM EDT
Sporting KC Toronto FC Livestrong Sporting Park

Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Houston Toronto FC BBVA Compass Stadium

Saturday, June 23, 2012
Toronto FC New England BMO Field

Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Montreal Toronto FC Saputo Stadium

Saturday, June 30, 2012
7:00PM EDT
Galavision
Toronto FC New York BMO Field

Wednesday, July 4, 2012
FC Dallas Toronto FC FC Dallas Stadium

Sunday, July 8, 2012
5:00PM EDT
Philadelphia Toronto FC PPL Park

Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Toronto FC Vancouver BMO Field

Saturday, July 14, 2012
New England Toronto FC Gillette Stadium

Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Toronto FC Colorado BMO Field

Saturday, July 21, 2012
4:00PM EDT
Toronto FC Chicago BMO Field

Saturday, July 28, 2012
Toronto FC Houston BMO Field

Saturday, August 4, 2012
Chicago Toronto FC Toyota Park

Saturday, August 11, 2012
Columbus Toronto FC Crew Stadium

Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Toronto FC Portland BMO Field

Saturday, August 18, 2012
Toronto FC Sporting KC BMO Field

Saturday, August 25, 2012
Houston Toronto FC BBVA Compass Stadium

Saturday, September 1, 2012
Sporting KC Toronto FC Livestrong Sporting Park

Saturday, September 15, 2012
Toronto FC Philadelphia BMO Field

Saturday, September 22, 2012
10:30PM EDT
Los Angeles Toronto FC The Home Depot Center

Saturday, September 29, 2012
New York Toronto FC Red Bull Arena

Saturday, October 6, 2012
Toronto FC D.C. United BMO Field

Saturday, October 20, 2012
2:00PM EDT
Toronto FC Montreal BMO Field

Sunday, October 28, 2012
4:00PM EDT
Columbus Toronto FC Crew Stadium

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?month=all&year=2012&club=9&competition_type=46&broadcast_type=all&op=Search&form_build_id=form-33bdb25d2f66783b7346ca4d7f88d697&form_id=mls_schedule_form

Redcoe15
01-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Saturday, April 7, 2012
Montreal Toronto FC Olympic Stadium
Three words: OFFICIAL ROAD TRIP!!!

Will we make it so?

Roogsy
01-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Though the NFL has that massive TV contract that allows most teams to be competitive.

The TV contract allows them to also spend a lot. It's all about how revenue is shared, not how much revenue there is. While the MLS will likely never have MLS-level revenue (from all businesses) they can still use the business model to find advantages.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 02:57 PM
But isn't the NFL tv contract revenue shared amongst NFL teams? Once it's divided out each NFL team has x amount to spend. Isn't that where most of the shared revenue comes from?

I mean if the NFL TV contract didn't exist, I think some teams would able to outspend others by a fair margin, no? I figure the TV contract money is also proportionate to the cap no?

The TV contract is a great leveller.

And the NFL has a hard cap. With stiff penalties if you go over.

C.Ronaldo
01-05-2012, 02:59 PM
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!

EASTER WEEKEND?

F off MLS, go F yourself and your insistence on avoiding away brawls.

Will we make it so?

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Um, it's not just MLS. The NHL has scheduled a match at the Bell Centre as well. I'm letting the parents know I'll be celebrating the Egg Hunt early or later this year.

drexel10
01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
This is the best spaced out schedule we have ever had.

Greatest Ripoff
01-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Will we make it so?

Any guesses on what the away allocation will be for this game?

Waggy
01-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree that minimum wage of MLS players needs to increase.

But I also think MLS needs a big money TV deal (or other steady revenue stream) before any drastic increase in cap happens

True, but if you're using a dollar for dollar tax system you don't have to increase the salary cap, but can still raise the average salaries. If you distribute the tax dollars through allocation dollars then the money is outside/on top of the cap. So you can give a new england an extra 500k in salary cap space AND the 500k to sign an extra player or 2, or be able to offer contracts to retain players they'd otherwise be losing. And all thanks to TFC wanting to pay a Deguz. It's the fairest system I can come up with. Obviously revenue sharing in general can only be helped by a massive TV deal, this is more optional revenue sharing.

moralis
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Interesting article from John Molinaro about TFC's off season plans and MLS Super Draft:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/05/tfc_draft/

Not sure if any Generation Adidas players will be available at #12. Mariner thinks so.

brad
01-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Interesting article from John Molinaro about TFC's off season plans and MLS Super Draft:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/05/tfc_draft/

Not sure if any Generation Adidas players will be available at #12. Mariner thinks so.

Several of the top prospects expected to go early in the draft are not GA, and with 8 GA players, all it takes is 4 non-GA players to make it happen.

EDIT: it's now 9 GA players, not 8

Blizzard
01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
It has to be a balancing act for the teams/league in regards to keeping DPs happy. While fans don't want to see a club's star player get injured (I totally agree), I think in order to keep the "DP" status attractive to potential candidates, it has to come with some freedoms such as the ability to train with high profile clubs. Attracting more high profile players to the MLS is very necessary to grow the league at a decent rate and unfortunately it comes with some trade offs, like mid season friendly matches (I HATE EM!).

In his first training session after the announcement of his loan to Germany’s FC Nuremberg, Omar Gonzalez suffered a knee injury after a collision with Nuremberg's U.S. national team defender Timothy Chandler. German press reports said Gonzalez twisted his knee.

The Nuernberger Zeitung (http://www.nordbayern.de/nuernberger-zeitung/nz-sport/club-neuzugang-gonzalez-gleich-im-pech-1.1770663) reported that the club had not released a diagnosis of the injury, but that he had to leave practice.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/45183/omar-gonzalez-injured-upon-german-loan.html

rocker
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM
In his first training session after the announcement of his loan to Germany’s FC Nuremberg, Omar Gonzalez suffered a knee injury after a collision with Nuremberg's U.S. national team defender Timothy Chandler. German press reports said Gonzalez twisted his knee.

ha ha ha. Now how about Donovan? Maybe a broken leg this weekend? ;)