PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,July 10.

denime
07-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Morning,

Toronto FC play Vancouver to draw

Reds get scores from Edu, Ricketts

BURNABY, British Columbia -- Toronto FC played the Vancouver Whitecaps to a 2-2 draw in the Nutrilite Canadian Championship on Wednesday night. Mo Edu and Rohan Ricketts scored second half goals as TFC fought back from a 1-0 halftime deficit to take the lead. Edu scored from close range just after the hour mark to tie the game, and Ricketts fired Toronto in front in the 76th minute after good work from Amado Guevara. Eduardo Sebrango denied Toronto the win by scoring his second goal of the night with just four minutes left to play.
The Reds were determined to get revenge following the Whitecaps' 1-0 win at BMO Field on Canada Day. Toronto was without the injured Danny Dichio and suspended Jim Brennan.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080710&content_id=171618&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Draw swamps Whitecaps' hopes

MATTHEW SEKERES

BURNABY, B.C. — The reality is that Toronto's professional soccer club plays in a better league, in a better stadium, and before more fans.
The other reality is that Vancouver's professional soccer club — worse league, worse stadium, fewer fans — is now unbeaten against Toronto's club in two matches in the last fortnight.
Such was the case before a standing-room gathering of roughly 5,600 at Swangard Stadium last night as the Vancouver Whitecaps earned a 2-2 draw against Toronto FC in CONCACAF Canadian championship play.
The Whitecaps notched a 1-0 victory against their Ontario rivals on Canada Day at Toronto's rowdy BMO Field — TFC's first home defeat since last December.
"Over the two games between ourselves and Vancouver, it shows us how much this competition means to people," TFC head coach John Carver said.
Carver added that the tournament showed him that both Vancouver and Montreal belong in the more prestigious Major League Soccer loop, where TFC competes.
"That's the biggest thing that came out of this competition," he said. "It would be a great rivalry."

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080710.wsptfc9/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

Whitecaps draw Toronto FC
THE CANADIAN PRESS

BURNABY, B.C. -- The Vancouver Whitecaps hurt Toronto FC's chances to advance to the CONCACAF Champions League for the second week in a row.
A back-and-forth battle between Toronto of Major League Soccer and the Vancouver Whitecaps of the United Soccer Leagues ended in a 2-2 draw in front of a standing-room only crowd Wednesday in Nutrilite Canadian Championship play.
Toronto was looking for revenge after the Whitecaps claimed a 1-0 victory July 1 at BMO Field, but Whitecaps leading scorer Eduardo Sebrango notched his second goal in the 87th minute to tie the game and deny Toronto a win.
"Given that there was something at stake and we beat them in their own house, I think tensions were boiling over a little," Whitecaps captain Jeff Clarke said after the game. "We're going to be happy with the performance but not the result. But when you're playing against a higher tier, they're going to make you pay."

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/10/Cdn-Championship-0/)

Toronto could face Real Esteli

Nicaraguan opponents now confirmed

If Toronto FC win the Nurtilite Canadian Championship, they will face Real Esteli of Nicaragua in the Preliminary Round of the CONCACAF Champions League. Real Esteli were confirmed as the Nicaraguan representative on Wednesday after winning the Clausura Championship 1-0 over two legs against Walter Ferreti. Elmer Mejia was the hero for Real Estelí scoring the winning goal with just five minutes left in extra time of the second leg.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080709&content_id=171599&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Mikey
07-10-2008, 06:14 AM
opinion-blog "news"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/36315-laurent-robert-of-toronto-fc-genius-or-disruptive-influence
As one of this year's new signings for Toronto FC, French midfielder Laurent Robert most definitely adds flair and sexy football to the TFC line-up. Yet as explosive as his goals can be, and as penetrating as his passes and runs into the opposing box are, Robert can also be one of the most frustrating players around.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/36247-toronto-fc-revitalizing-the-mls-epl-players-flock-to-canadian-soccer
Okay, so it's probably been said about a thousand times, with both detractors and supporters, but there's no denying that Toronto FC has revitalized the MLS. Sure, LA Galaxy may have Goldenballs, but let's face it his prime was at least 2 years ago.

Eastend
07-10-2008, 06:44 AM
um....Sunshine Girl.....there has been better but not the worst.

http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html

Parkdale
07-10-2008, 08:10 AM
haha.. I like how the article from Burnaby BC plays up that they are 'unbeaten' against Toronto, as opposed to out of the tourney

Technorgasm
07-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I said to myself as I woke up this morning, that Iwas going to avoid the news thread. .

but like my cofe maker, I am set in my ways.. . running on an auto-timer.

Im sorry, this "games of 2 halves" crap is getting REALLY old. . we took it to VWC last night, we had them by the fucking balls for EVERY minute of the match. Call it poor finish, call it Cunny's Curse, call it whatever, but it wasnt ONLY shitty finishing that sunk us .. . we deserved that win.

1. Rickets supurb volley off the bar, and then the fumbling that did not put the rebound away.

2. Marshall (omg how did he miss, that the stuff of nightmares) AND Cunny alone in front of goal with nothing to show for it (and the non-penalty call to make things square from the first game, which regardless should have been put away)

3. Robert's pin-perfect corner, to a TFC head x2, FROM BOTH FUCKING CORNERS without a goal. . . . . I mean, finally we have a game where 2 corners are menacing.Who here gets a boner when we are awarded a corner? no, me neither.

yet VWC get a couple of chances and walk out of their ground, heads high and a point in their pocket? PLEEEEeeaasseeee!!!! Dont give me this shit that the USL can hang with any MLS team, that is bullshit!! We OWNED them! We took their sisters to the prom, and left them behind the dumpster with their panties around their kneees.

Result be damned. There were lapses in a few performances, but there is nothing constructive from diesecting a player for a few minutes of lack-luster play. For the most part, weveryone did their jobs. Kudos especially to Sutton, coming in cold, and making a HUGE stop, only to have the defenders allow a lil softy pass for the second effort.

I have to side with Carver here. . Complacency and attitude, is all to blame for last nights tie. the way our guys dealt with the clearence from the VWC keeper, the missed header in the middle, the sloppy D allowing the soft pass, over the top to the top of the box, and Edu's missed header leaving FUCK WIT WHITE CAPS BOY with a perfect opp to strike (and finsih. . . , take note Cunny) is just poor fucking attitude. . I even said. . oh, oh, and here comes the equalizer. . FOOKIN 'ELL!!!

Im still seathing obviously, It will be a L - O - N - G weekend in Chicago, if we go to Toyota park, and not play every fucking second of the 90 minutes. . with the lead, without it. . whatever.

End rant.

Carts
07-10-2008, 08:23 AM
haha.. I like how the article from Burnaby BC plays up that they are 'unbeaten' against Toronto, as opposed to out of the tourney

F*ckin Journos! :D

Carts...

Pigfynn
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
One week ago, TFC's infamous Red Patch Boys fan club

WTF?

:noidea: :smilielol5:

kitchener-TFC
07-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I hate how the Vancouver area media makes Vancouver sound so good, but saying stuff like:
"Vancouver is unbeaten by Toronto FC, a much better team, in a better league"
or
"After a stunning victory in Toronto, the Whitecaps tied the better Toronto FC, who happen to have a better stadium"
fucking media.

rocker
07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I hate how the Vancouver area media makes Vancouver sound so good, but saying stuff like:
"Vancouver is unbeaten by Toronto FC, a much better team, in a better league"
or
"After a stunning victory in Toronto, the Whitecaps tied the better Toronto FC, who happen to have a better stadium"
fucking media.

ya, it's not like Vancouver played that well in either game. They survived, that's all.
I felt last night Vanny looked even worse than the first match and were completely dominated most of the time by TFC.

S_D
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Even though I continue to be dissapointed by the tie, you have to admit it was a very entertaining game... great for the sport

Parkdale
07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
^ agreed. It was a great game, and the 30 or so folks at Shoeless were on the edge of their seats.

Here we go, here we go.....

DigzTFC!
07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/255377.html

The Quebecers Ali Gerba is to move to Montreal and trains temporarily with the Impact, like Sandro Grande, another alumnus of the team.

Gerba just spend four seasons in Europe. The striker played in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Germany.

He is currently without a contract for next season.

On the side of the Impact, on no secret we would like to see him with the team.

"It would be the end of the season," said Nick DeSantis. This is not an issue to play a few games and leave. He has an obligation to play for the national team. We already know how many games he will play with the national team and how it will play for the Impact. You look to see if this is a good thing for us and for him. "

rocker
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Even though I continue to be dissapointed by the tie, you have to admit it was a very entertaining game... great for the sport

yes Vanny both games were quite entertaining. I think I just have really high standards so I get critical... but nobody can say they didn't enjoy watching.
And it felt instantly important, which probably surprised some people.
The Montreal game is gonna be crrrrraaazzy.....!

rocker
07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/255377.html

The Quebecers Ali Gerba is to move to Montreal and trains temporarily with the Impact, like Sandro Grande, another alumnus of the team.

Gerba just spend four seasons in Europe. The striker played in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Germany.

He is currently without a contract for next season.

On the side of the Impact, on no secret we would like to see him with the team.

"It would be the end of the season," said Nick DeSantis. This is not an issue to play a few games and leave. He has an obligation to play for the national team. We already know how many games he will play with the national team and how it will play for the Impact. You look to see if this is a good thing for us and for him. "

So if Montreal is gonna bring in a ringer for the July 22, can TFC bring in one too? ;)

scooter
07-10-2008, 06:52 PM
don't want to beat it to death again but the last couple of games the lads played well but we just dont have that finishing drive and strike
we need a striker
please please please jc bring us a striker

Rhapido
07-10-2008, 10:24 PM
ya, it's not like Vancouver played that well in either game. They survived, that's all.
I felt last night Vanny looked even worse than the first match and were completely dominated most of the time by TFC.

Totally agree. In fact, there were stretches during the game where we were stringing passes together like some South American team. With any kind of finishing skill, we might have scored 4 or 5 last night. Up 2-1 with less than 5 to go, I was prepared to accept their missed chances but then to piss it away on such a horrible, rec-league-grade defensive blunder...I felt like puking.:puke:

Rhapido
07-10-2008, 10:28 PM
um....Sunshine Girl.....there has been better but not the worst.

http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html Yeah, she can come over for a slumber party at my place anytime. Except when the wife's around, of course.:thumbsup: