PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition Place plans

sully
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM
http://www.explace.on.ca/database/rte/files/Item%2030(1).pdf

I don't know if this popped up on the forum before? This is an interesting report to the Board of Governors of Exhibition Place from November 27 last which if implemented could have an impact on BMO Field and surrounding in the next few years including a new pedestrian walkway beside the east side of BMO Field and plans for possible expansion of the the East Stand in the future (pages 6 and 10), a land bridge to Ontario Place and a festival Plaza (not sure what that is) in the south parking.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Before I read it.

Did they mention the hotel?

billyfly
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
That's a BIG grandstand (and with a roof)

Eastend
01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Before I read it.

Did they mention the hotel?

Yes they do.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Other urban planners (my good friend included) have spoken before how the City must protect the open space (or gathering place potential) of the CNE against development.

I guess this plan is of like mind.

This location will come in handy in coming years as the density of the City continues to rise.

__wowza
01-04-2012, 04:42 PM

that sound you just heard was my ejacule hitting the sun.

Whoop
01-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I see they included BMO expansion.

Everyone always thought it would be the south end that would be expanded but looks like it would be the east stand.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Everyone always thought it would be the south end that would be expanded but looks like it would be the east stand.

I guess in some ways b/c people wanted the cool aspect of seeing the CN Tower in the background.

This plan is just a plan until money and officialdom of course....

Yohan
01-04-2012, 04:45 PM
except BMO Field doesn't need an expansion right now...

Whoop
01-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes, but they are accounting for it in their plans.

Possibly for Pan-Am Games? Or for the future of the site?

billyfly
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM

I am still shocked that MLSE did not jump on the PAN AM games money to get funds to expand BMO for things like the planned outdoor birthday party game.

Whoop
01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
People don't take kindly to corporations asking for taxpayer money. ;)

Besides BMO is a city building anyway.

Blizzard
01-04-2012, 05:07 PM

The south end seats are too cheap. Any new seats at the back would be the cheapest in the park. They'd have to make their money back and the east side is the way to do that.

Blizzard
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
except BMO Field doesn't need an expansion right now...

... which is why it isn't happening right now. It's just a contingency.

nascarguy
01-04-2012, 05:09 PM

I have a felling that the whole area is about to be own by bell and rogers.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Of course it wouldn't be sold that way!

Still don;t understand how Hamilton gets a stadium and Toronto, the City awarded the games get squat.

Don't give me this crap about regional games and regional benefits blah blah blah

boban
01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
I know its just a plan and a blueprint for futre use, but it doesn't seem any future expansion of the stadium would be for upgrades in standards, rather just the same lego block concept.

nfitz
01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Everyone always thought it would be the south end that would be expanded but looks like it would be the east stand.Doesn't mean much though ... these are old plans, and they didn't foresee the North Stand either. Also, if you look carefully they expand to the northwest above 127.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM

hopefully it would be a proper roof....and not a roof that just covers a few row...as the plan shows..

as per the plan on that site....it seems to show the SOuthend with roof? or am i seeing things..:)

Wagner
01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Great Find.
thank you for sharing.

james
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
CNE grounds are just huge open parking lots and pavement that sit empty 90% of the year. Id be happy to see them build something on the CNE grounds maybe a mix of apartments, hotels, restraunts, pubs and parks.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 07:15 PM
CNE grounds are just huge open parking lots and pavement that sit empty 90% of the year. Id be happy to see them build something on the CNE grounds maybe a mix of apartments, hotels, restraunts, pubs and parks.

See my post about open gathering space.

boban
01-04-2012, 07:23 PM
No offense, but that would be the worst idea.

james
01-04-2012, 07:25 PM
See my post about open gathering space.

where the post?

james
01-04-2012, 07:27 PM
No offense, but that would be the worst idea.

well id rather see some life there, place is so dead and empty 90% of the time. Its a Ghost town. Build something that will make people actually go there besides when the EX or Indy is going on!

billyfly
01-04-2012, 07:40 PM
well id rather see some life there, place is so dead and empty 90% of the time. Its a Ghost town. Build something that will make people actually go there besides when the EX or Indy is going on!

It's called up the street - liberty Village.

The City wants to keep as an event space. Not create another neighbourhood.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
where the post?

We are 1 page into a thread. Surely you can scroll up and find it.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
The planned hotel would include a huge bar if I remember the plans.

james
01-04-2012, 07:45 PM

well you don't have to make it a neighbourhood i just suggested that as 1 option, but i would not want this big land to just sit there as is. Its a concrete waste land to me. If you want the land to stay open well at least add green space in there or something make it look pretty, make people actually want to walk around there.

boban
01-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Exactly.

We have don't have many spaces in the city where people can just congregate en mass as Europe has. Keep the Ex open. The trick is to find events to keep the place buzzing. But TFC provides dates in the summer, there is an arena, and convention space that is always book, so don't know what this ghost town is.

billyfly
01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
well you don't have to make it a neighbourhood i just suggested that as 1 option, but i would not want this big land to just sit there as is. Its a concrete waste land to me. If you want the land to stay open well at least add green space in there or something make it look pretty, make people actually want to walk around there.

The plan states that exactly. Regrade the parking and a continuos green space all the way around.

Hell put a big Afghan Mission memorial there as well.

prizby
01-04-2012, 07:56 PM

probably something in the works in the future...the transit has gotta improve though that means digging up the lakeshore though

james
01-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Exactly.

We have don't have many spaces in the city where people can just congregate en mass as Europe has. Keep the Ex open. The trick is to find events to keep the place buzzing. But TFC provides dates in the summer, there is an arena, and convention space that is always book, so don't know what this ghost town is.

come on there is very few events going on when you consider its there 365 days a year. Yes TFC have say 15-20 games in a year. But people don't show up there till few hours before the game, and they leave quickly after, and when you think of it the CNE is a BIG area, BMO field just occupies a small area of it. The EX runs for 2 weeks and the Indy race 1 weekend. You get your Marlies playing but they get 1-2,00o fans a game, very few people, they need to fill that rink more often. You might have a few other events but come on walk through there tomorrow, tell me how many people you see around.

boban
01-04-2012, 09:10 PM
come on there is very few events going on when you consider its there 365 days a year. Yes TFC have say 15-20 games in a year. But people don't show up there till few hours before the game, and they leave quickly after, and when you think of it the CNE is a BIG area, BMO field just occupies a small area of it. The EX runs for 2 weeks and the Indy race 1 weekend. You get your Marlies playing but they get 1-2,00o fans a game, very few people, they need to fill that rink more often. You might have a few other events but come on walk through there tomorrow, tell me how many people you see around.
There are car shows, boats shows, all kinds of conventions. Trust me its busy, just not rammed busy. Yes after events are done the nights, or days, depending when it take place, its kinda dead, but so what. Every place have to be rammed and no where to stretch out a bit?!

billyfly
01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Tom Anslemi admitted today in an interview at the Leafs open air practice that they are looking at expanding BMO for the Leafs centennial game.

glaze
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
the problem with bmo expansion is that it is now a single use facility. With the grass pitch, aside from soccer (and this years exhibition rugby match), you can`t really have many dates in there or you`ll tear up the field. They tried a concert there (genesis, first year) and haven`t had one since (no point with the ampitheatre across the street).
Economically, you would need an event (like the hope of an nhl outdoor game) to justify a huge expansion. Thankfully that event is coming. The women`s world cup.
If we don`t see a stadium expansion for the women`s world cup, I just don`t see the return on investment for a completely renovated east stand. I think 20-25,000 seats is TFC`s ideal range. If they were to replicate the west stand on the east side, you would just see empty seats. Which means less atmosphere and demand.

jazzy
01-04-2012, 10:22 PM
There are car shows, boats shows, all kinds of conventions. Trust me its busy, just not rammed busy. Yes after events are done the nights, or days, depending when it take place, its kinda dead, but so what. Every place have to be rammed and no where to stretch out a bit?!

agreed!...... think Montreal island......from the remants of expo 67, it is still not 'developed' and a great event place..re: grand prix.....Toronto is flooded with too much cement crap and overcrowding with boring 'structures'...eveywhere....James do you ever get out and walk our lakeshore.......just tragic,...space and design has been long lost in this city....can you say OMB

rocker
01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
one thing people have said on the Urban Toronto forum is that they could still have open spaces but not massive ugly, boring parking lots by building underground parking (although that's expensive). I'd love to see all parking go underground, and then landscape the open spaces so that it becomes more park-like but still usable for the CNE and large gatherings.

kodiakTFC
01-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Here are the official pics of the new BMO Field Expansion. Notice the Eastern grandstand is absolutely massive compared to the West.

Above picture **notice EASTERN GRANDSTAND
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9573/captureoti.png

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8513/capture1hv.png

This is the walk from the Ex Gates to BMO, looking at BMO from the Direct Energy Centre
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/880/capture2n.png

Above angle of new grandstand
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/5786/capture3bz.png

Whoop
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Doesn't mean much though ... these are old plans, and they didn't foresee the North Stand either. Also, if you look carefully they expand to the northwest above 127.

The pictures have the north stand in there.

nfitz
01-05-2012, 12:02 AM
The pictures have the north stand in there.Do they? I thought that was the old patio that was there. It's difficult to see, but I thought if that was the North Stand it would have blocked out the Food building a bit.

PopePouri
01-05-2012, 12:16 AM
They obviously value what we contribute to Exhibition place so adding additional seats sounds reasonable. It seems they don't understand the pricing aspect of football stadiums. Adding more reds will make the east stand even more sparse.

But, if they have to expand the east stand though, they might was well just tear down what's there and rebuild it into something presentable. Make it concrete. Keep the first tier the same height at the sound and west stand and add a roof.

And fix the damn pipes.

Auzzy
01-05-2012, 01:48 AM
the problem with bmo expansion is that it is now a single use facility. With the grass pitch, aside from soccer (and this years exhibition rugby match), you can`t really have many dates in there or you`ll tear up the field. They tried a concert there (genesis, first year) and haven`t had one since (no point with the ampitheatre across the street).
Economically, you would need an event (like the hope of an nhl outdoor game) to justify a huge expansion. Thankfully that event is coming. The women`s world cup.
If we don`t see a stadium expansion for the women`s world cup, I just don`t see the return on investment for a completely renovated east stand. I think 20-25,000 seats is TFC`s ideal range. If they were to replicate the west stand on the east side, you would just see empty seats. Which means less atmosphere and demand.

No 2015 Women's World Cup games are planned for Toronto, due to "potential conflicts" with the Pan Am games. :facepalm:

Toronto decided it didn't want to be part of the bid. Although the CSA said last March, the door isn't officially shut for Toronto to still get games, I don't think there's been any movement since then. Also, considering the current Toronto city government, and rumours of PanAm cost overruns, I don't really see Toronto pushing to change that decision.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/03/03/sp-womens-world-cup.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_Women's_World_Cup
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/947970--no-surprise-canada-to-host-2015-women-s-world-cup

GabrielHurl
01-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Of course it wouldn't be sold that way!

Still don;t understand how Hamilton gets a stadium and Toronto, the City awarded the games get squat.

Don't give me this crap about regional games and regional benefits blah blah blah

The stadium in Hamilton is the new Ivor Wynne Stadium

And there's plenty of facilities being built (including the Athletics stadium) and upgraded in the city for the games

Waggy
01-05-2012, 10:02 AM

And there's plenty of facilities being built (including the Athletics stadium) and upgraded in the city for the games

Ya I'm pretty sure that's how we're getting the waterfront revitalization subsidized/written off. And some good infrastructure stuff. Check out the list for actual venues (with handy "NEW!" tags for everything new http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venues_of_the_2015_Pan_American_Games)

For the lazy, Toronto is getting new:

BMX track at centennial park
court at Ryerson for raquet ball
a 2000 seat futsal stadium
a 5000 seat field hockey, uh, field
a renovation of varsity stadium (expanding to 10k)
a 2000 seat fencing/modern pentathalon, uh, thing
a 6000 seat aquatics centre
a 12500 seat rugby stadium (! where the fuck are the argos on THAT one! unless this is varsity and wiki doesn't know that? either way WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE ARGOS?!)
a track stadium at york u

and thats just Toronto proper, theres a crap ton of new stuff in the GTA. Lots of great stuff there.

GabrielHurl
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
a 12500 seat rugby stadium (! where the fuck are the argos on THAT one! unless this is varsity and wiki doesn't know that? either way WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE ARGOS?!)

Wiki is messed up there - there's no 12,500 seat rugby stadium

The rugby 7's and athletics are both at York University.

York's existing rugby fields are being upgraded for the 7's and the athletics stadium is brand new

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 10:15 AM
a renovation of varsity stadium (expanding to 10k)

and thats just Toronto proper, theres a crap ton of new stuff in the GTA. Lots of great stuff there.

10k at varsity that still doesn't want to share with Argos. More space to watch..........Athletics???

The rugby stadium is a link to a Hamilton based stadium.

a track at York? Congrats to them I guess.

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Wiki is messed up there - there's no 12,500 seat rugby stadium

The rugby 7's and athletics are both at York University.

York's existing rugby fields are being upgraded for the 7's and the athletics stadium is brand new

That's better. I like seeing York getting new stuff. They've never said no to the Argos, yet..

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
And while the Pan Am Games were awarded to Toronto, it was a regional bid. There are a ton of events going on outside of Toronto in surrounding communities like Ajax, Barrie, Minden, Richmond Hill, Milton, Markham, Brampton, Mississauga, Oshawa, Pickering, Hamilton, St. Catharines, Welland. The games have been broken down to 3 zones (Central, West, East). Toronto is just the hub. It was the only way to get government money.

No different than 1976 Summer Olympics that went to Montreal but events were held in Kingston (and some soccer games in Ottawa and Toronto).

Or Vancouver getting the 2010 Olympics but events held in Whistler, 2 hours away.

These kind of events, due to the size, invariably becomes regional events.

Cashcleaner
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9573/captureoti.png

Not my first choice for the design of an expansion, but that IS a lot of new seats. By the way, the Toronto Sun had an article about a potential Winter Classic match in Toronto. While everyone has pretty much written off BMO Field as a venue in the near-future, I wouldn't be surprised if we see outdoor hockey there if such an expansion were to take place.

billyfly
01-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Funny I don;t see the word Hamilton in there.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlyUznZJNMLgm7RpDdLTY5O1jtzAJWC NmfhISWEQy4HrhwTC8Y

billyfly
01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
And while the Pan Am Games were awarded to Toronto, it was a regional bid. There are a ton of events going on outside of Toronto in surrounding communities like Ajax, Barrie, Minden, Richmond Hill, Milton, Markham, Brampton, Mississauga, Oshawa, Pickering, Hamilton, St. Catharines, Welland. It was the only way to get government money.

No different than 1976 Summer Olympics that went to Montreal but events were held in Kingston (and some soccer games in Ottawa and Toronto).

Or Vancouver getting the 2010 Olympics but events held in Whistler, 2 hours away.

And I know all this. I just don't understand how a team which is the lifeline of the entire league and needs a new outdoor stadium couldn't get one.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
It was a regional bid. It was the only way to get government money.

And not everything can fit in Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venues_of_the_2015_Pan_American_Games

And Hamilton isn't getting a new stadium per se but a renovated one at a cost of about $150mil. After the SkyDome fiasco I don't think the government was going to build Toronto a new stadium.

EDIT: My bad numbers were off.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
And I know all this. I just don't understand how a team which is the lifeline of the entire league and needs a new outdoor stadium couldn't get one.

The problem with the Argos, and what happened in Hamilton, is where do you put the team?

That was the big issue with Hamilton, sites. There were a couple of options that didn't work for the city or its major tenant.

And when Toronto threatened to pull the stadium out of Hamilton and move it to Mississauga or Brampton they realized they didn't have proper venues for it.

The city won't be building the Argos a new stadium as much as the Fords love the Argos. One option for the Argos is to go outside the city and find a suburb to build them a stadium but I don't see that happening.

The era of governments building stadiums specifically for sports teams is over.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Also mismanagement and bad plays by Argos ownership.

They've had the deals in the past but they've all fallen through.

The other difference too is that the Ticats have a way bigger pull in Hamilton than the Argos have in Toronto. The Ticats is all Hamilton has and even though Ivor Wynne is a dump really they don't want another white elephant like Copps.

The Argos fold/leave Toronto, no one in Toronto really bats an eye. Ticats fold/leave, while the city will eventually move on, it would hurt Hamilton.

deltox
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Rugby 7s will be held at fetchers fields. its on the Toronto pan am games web site.

www.toronto2015.org

billyfly
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Also mismanagement and bad plays by Argos ownership.

They've had the deals in the past but they've all fallen through.

The other difference too is that the Ticats have a way bigger pull in Hamilton than the Argos have in Toronto. The Ticats is all Hamilton has and even though Ivor Wynne is a dump really they don't want another white elephant like Copps.

The Argos fold/leave Toronto, no one in Toronto really bats an eye. Ticats fold/leave, while the city will eventually move on, it would hurt Hamilton.

Not according to the TSN TV deal. No Argos, No TV Deal, No CFL.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
TV wise, yeah.

But city wise, don't think anyone would care.

Ironically the only way the Argos get a stadium is if western teams persuade the government and even then I don't think the government would care.

billyfly
01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Bring back the Toronto Parkdale Canoe Club!

GabrielHurl
01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
And Hamilton isn't getting a new stadium per se but a renovated one at a cost of about $150mil.

It's pretty much a new stadium - Ivor Wynne is being completely demolished at the end of the 2012 CFL season and then rebuilt

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks. Didn't realize that.

Well, I did after I typed it. LOL

billyfly
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks. Didn't realize that.

Well, I did after I typed it. LOL

Poor Varsity Stadium. Lost opp.

Think how awesome to have 100th Grey Cup there.

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
The funny thing is with the track facilities there, it's getting more use now than before.

Wouldn't they have had to expand it a lot to fit the Argos there? Which was the issue with the university and the neighbourhood?

GabrielHurl
01-05-2012, 10:50 AM
You need a stadium of 40,000+ to be able to hold the Grey Cup - something Varsity won't be having for a long long time

Whoop
01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
They would always play the Grey Cup at SkyDome.

Varsity needed to be a minimum of 25,000 for the CFL. Don't know if the existing Varsity footprint was big enough for a 25,000 seat stadium without encroaching on the Royal Conservatory of Music and the surrounding neighbourhood.

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Bring back the Toronto Parkdale Canoe Club!

Only if their first game is vs the Balmy Beach!!

THAT was the heydays for sure!!

http://www.cfhof.ca/uploads/assets/cflhof/Hall_of_Famers/Ted_Reeve.jpg

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
The funny thing is with the track facilities there, it's getting more use now than before.

Wouldn't they have had to expand it a lot to fit the Argos there? Which was the issue with the university and the neighbourhood?

Nope. Main point against was the track. Argos didn't want one and it would've been big enough. Not now. That ship has sailed.

And the use they get out of it? It's about as much as my local Park. And that's not bragging.

jabbronies
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
That roof is too small. Needs to be bigger IMO. Won't catch enough sound

Waggy
01-05-2012, 11:55 AM
10k at varsity that still doesn't want to share with Argos. More space to watch..........Athletics???

The rugby stadium is a link to a Hamilton based stadium.

a track at York? Congrats to them I guess.

I figured there was no way they were expanding varsity AND building a 12500 seat stadium new. But a new stadium at york IS possible. the drawback of putting anything there was always the pain in the ass it is to get there. By 2015 when the subway stop is done in time for the Pan Am games there wouldn't really be any problems building a cfl stadium there. subway and go stations, tons of parking, a few restaurants/bars around (if you go towards dufferin anyways). I used to HATE commuting to York, that 196 is the worst/most crowded bus in the city. but with a subway stop it'd actually be pretty convenient. god knows the argos desperately need a 30k outdoor stadium.

Fort York Redcoat
01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
By 2015 when the subway stop is done in time for the Pan Am games there wouldn't really be any problems building a cfl stadium there.

My day has been made. Get them there already.

Waggy
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
They would always play the Grey Cup at SkyDome.

Varsity needed to be a minimum of 25,000 for the CFL. Don't know if the existing Varsity footprint was big enough for a 25,000 seat stadium without encroaching on the Royal Conservatory of Music and the surrounding neighbourhood.

That's a really good point. Just looked on google maps, the plot that BMO sits on (JUST the stadium) looks to be at least 25-30% bigger than the area Varsity has*. And obviously the argos would need a bigger pitch to play on.

*scientific I know

Whoop
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Isn't a roof to protect from the elements? LOL

GabrielHurl
01-05-2012, 12:57 PM
My day has been made. Get them there already.

Where do you put it?

http://i.imgur.com/MxO4R.jpg

Heart of Stone
01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Exhibition Place would be a great place for the feds to host a G20.

Shway
01-05-2012, 02:02 PM

SOUND!.....it wont catch enough rain!!!

Huyton
01-05-2012, 04:38 PM
And while the Pan Am Games were awarded to Toronto, it was a regional bid. There are a ton of events going on outside of Toronto in surrounding communities like Ajax, Barrie, Minden, Richmond Hill, Milton, Markham, Brampton, Mississauga, Oshawa, Pickering, Hamilton, St. Catharines, Welland. The games have been broken down to 3 zones (Central, West, East). Toronto is just the hub. It was the only way to get government money.

I was at Varsity Stadium for the Israel vs Brazil game. I also went to the Olympic Football Final at the Big Owe.

Lots of fun!

nfitz
01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I also went to the Olympic Football Final at the Big Owe.Cool! Reports are they had over 71,000 for that game (http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/tournament=512/edition=197121/matches/match=32185/report.html). Biggest crowd ever for soccer in Canada (or for any sport????). I didn't see the stadium until moving to Montreal in 1980 by which time a lot of seating had gone where the tower construction site was. It must have been really rocking.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
biggest record crowd at SKY DOME...was in 2002...WRESTLEMANIA 68,000

nfitz
01-05-2012, 05:18 PM
biggest record crowd at SKY DOME...was in 2002...WRESTLEMANIA 68,000I was thinking a sporting event though ...

Pink Floyd at Big O was in the high 70s ...

rocker
01-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Where do you put it?

http://i.imgur.com/MxO4R.jpg

They have lots of room all over that campus, particularly with all the parking lots. They could put a stadium up at the area where the Steeles subway stop construction is right now -- that used to be a parking lot. Or they could put it on the site of the current small football stadium. Next to Black Creek Pioneer village (southeast corner of Murray Ross and Steeles) would actually be a really good spot too.

I believe they are knocking down building # 6 to the left of Boyer Woodlot for the Pan Am Athletics stadium. The university is actually gonna lease office space off campus for those admin people.

Huyton
01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Cool! Reports are they had over 71,000 for that game (http://www.fifa.com/tournaments/archive/tournament=512/edition=197121/matches/match=32185/report.html). Biggest crowd ever for soccer in Canada (or for any sport????). I didn't see the stadium until moving to Montreal in 1980 by which time a lot of seating had gone where the tower construction site was. It must have been really rocking.

I have some pictures from that game somewhere...gotta dig them out and digitize them. What was great about that game was that they had BEER in the stadium.

This was a novelty...you couldn't get beer at sporting events in Ontario at the time.

It took the arrival of the Blue Jays to change that.

Furtado91
01-05-2012, 06:46 PM
I have some pictures from that game somewhere...gotta dig them out and digitize them. What was great about that game was that they had BEER in the stadium.

This was a novelty...you couldn't get beer at sporting events in Ontario at the time.

It took the arrival of the Blue Jays to change that.

I never knew that. That is quite an interesting fact. thanks

Huyton
01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
• Ontario's restrictive liquor laws also meant that Toronto Blue Jays fans couldn't drink beer when watching the team at Exhibition Stadium until 1982.

• In December 1981, Ontario passed its so-called 'happy hour' legislation. The law allowed bar and restaurant owners to offer reduced drink prices and free food to their customers.
• The government's decision to overturn the law three years later provoked concern from the hospitality industry. Toronto's Sheraton Centre responded by offering reduced-alcohol drinks for a scaled-down price.

• Until around 1970 most Canadian drinking establishments had separate entrances and spaces for "ladies and escorts" and "men only." According to Craig Heron's book Booze: A Distilled History, the separation became law in British Columbia in 1942 and was informally practised elsewhere in Canada. The intent in B.C. was not to protect women from the overtures of drunk men, but to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases by keeping prostitutes out of bars.

• Beer parlours across most of Canada were dreary places well into the 1970s. In Ontario, for example, there could be no food service, live entertainment or recorded music, and no singing or dancing. It was illegal to stand up with a drink in one's hand. If a patron wished to join friends at another table, a server had to carry the drink. The aim of these rules was to prevent people from lingering, but meant that the only thing to do was drink.

• Canadians experienced equally stern treatment at province-run liquor stores before the era of self-service. People had to buy a yearly license to purchase alcohol (a measure that was phased out everywhere by 1970). With each visit to the liquor store, a person filled out a card and handed it to a clerk. The clerk retrieved the bottles from the back of the store and delivered them to the patron in a plain brown paper bag.

• Canada's first self-service liquor store opened in British Columbia in 1962; Ontario and New Brunswick introduced them in 1969, and other provinces followed through the 1970s.

• Though still against the law in Ontario in 2004, happy hour is permitted in other provinces. In Quebec it's known as cinq à sept, or "five to seven."

billyfly
01-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Toronto the Good.

Oldtimer
01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Imagine going to a Toronto Blizzard game and watching football in a dry stadium. That's probably hard for most here to picture! _

glaze
01-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Imagine going to a Toronto Blizzard game and watching football in a dry stadium. That's probably hard for most here to picture! _

when the blue jays first started playing there was no beer sales at exhibition stadium.

Huyton
01-06-2012, 08:24 AM
No beer at any sporting event in Ontario until 1982.

I know...pre-history for many of you.

Chris Wren
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
No beer at any sporting event in Ontario until 1982.

I know...pre-history for many of you.

Really amazing to think you couldn't drink watching baseball. The separate rooms for men and women is the craziest.

Anyone who has been to Quebec knows how great Happy Hour is. If we could only get that back here!

Cashcleaner
01-06-2012, 12:47 PM
• Ontario's restrictive liquor laws also meant that Toronto Blue Jays fans couldn't drink beer when watching the team at Exhibition Stadium until 1982.

• In December 1981, Ontario passed its so-called 'happy hour' legislation. The law allowed bar and restaurant owners to offer reduced drink prices and free food to their customers.
• The government's decision to overturn the law three years later provoked concern from the hospitality industry. Toronto's Sheraton Centre responded by offering reduced-alcohol drinks for a scaled-down price.

• Until around 1970 most Canadian drinking establishments had separate entrances and spaces for "ladies and escorts" and "men only." According to Craig Heron's book Booze: A Distilled History, the separation became law in British Columbia in 1942 and was informally practised elsewhere in Canada. The intent in B.C. was not to protect women from the overtures of drunk men, but to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases by keeping prostitutes out of bars.

• Beer parlours across most of Canada were dreary places well into the 1970s. In Ontario, for example, there could be no food service, live entertainment or recorded music, and no singing or dancing. It was illegal to stand up with a drink in one's hand. If a patron wished to join friends at another table, a server had to carry the drink. The aim of these rules was to prevent people from lingering, but meant that the only thing to do was drink.

• Canadians experienced equally stern treatment at province-run liquor stores before the era of self-service. People had to buy a yearly license to purchase alcohol (a measure that was phased out everywhere by 1970). With each visit to the liquor store, a person filled out a card and handed it to a clerk. The clerk retrieved the bottles from the back of the store and delivered them to the patron in a plain brown paper bag.

• Canada's first self-service liquor store opened in British Columbia in 1962; Ontario and New Brunswick introduced them in 1969, and other provinces followed through the 1970s.

• Though still against the law in Ontario in 2004, happy hour is permitted in other provinces. In Quebec it's known as cinq à sept, or "five to seven."

The epitome of the "Nanny State". It's still unbelievable that we can't drink alcohol legally at the tailgates.