PDA

View Full Version : Would Somebody Please Tell Sutton . . .

James17930
07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
. . . to stop coming out and trying to go 1-on-1 with guys rushing in on him!

How many goals have been scored against him because he dives at the guy, who simply goes around him and puts it in.

I like Sutton, and I think one of his strengths is that he takes up so much space in the net and is a great shot stopper. So, when a guy is charging in like that, the best place for Sutton to be is back toward the net cutting the angle down.

I have to say it was that move of his that cost us the game tonight.

Benficachop20
07-10-2008, 02:25 AM
i would say it was the horrid defending in that play that cost us the game. I really didn't think sutton done much wrong in that play imo.

coisty1966
07-10-2008, 05:11 AM
too bad Cunningham couldnt go around the keeper.....useless.....

MG42
07-10-2008, 05:17 AM
too bad Cunningham couldnt go around the keeper.....useless.....

That was one of the worst displays I have ever seen....How he has even scoed ONE goal in MLS is a mystery to me...Please MoJo help us....

Heathen
07-10-2008, 05:52 AM

How many goals have been scored against him because he dives at the guy, who simply goes around him and puts it in.

I like Sutton, and I think one of his strengths is that he takes up so much space in the net and is a great shot stopper. So, when a guy is charging in like that, the best place for Sutton to be is back toward the net cutting the angle down.

:confused: how does a goalie backing into the net cut the angle down

Alarius
07-10-2008, 06:07 AM

It was Edu's mistake not Sutton's

Carts
07-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Blaming Sutton on that play, and on his style, couldn't be more wrong...

Last night Edu mis-read the bounce and botched his header...

Sutton has saved games with his aggressive play (our 3-2 win over LA, stopping the league's leading scoring twice [Donovan] and forcing him to shoot wide once is just one example)...

Even in a 4-1 defeat against DC United, he was our best player and held us in, then held it somewhat respectable with his aggressive play...

Just my two cents...
Carts...

olegunnar
07-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Wrong board.
This is the Sutton fan club board so your post will be treated like a flame

dannyd
07-10-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm not a big fan of Sutton, but you're not making any sense. If he doesn't come out to close down the attacker, Sebrango has an easy shot from 12 yards out.

The goalie has to come out in that situation.

Shaughno
07-10-2008, 07:27 AM
^^ Agreed, terrible defensive error to get to that point anyway.

ensco
07-10-2008, 07:34 AM
This thread has to be a spoof.

Any GK, from Buffon to the lowliest USL-2 backup, knows that, if he has any chance by coming out hard, he must do so.

Sitting back, no matter how big you are, is a dead man's game. Just look at PK scoring statistics, over 80% go in (unless you are Collin Samuel).

Steve
07-10-2008, 07:34 AM
So, when a guy is charging in like that, the best place for Sutton to be is back toward the net cutting the angle down.

Physics doesn't work that way.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-10-2008, 07:47 AM
i would say it was the horrid defending in that play that cost us the game. I really didn't think sutton done much wrong in that play imo.

Correct.
Nothing short of a miracle anyways

london_tfc_fan
07-10-2008, 08:08 AM

you dont cut the angle down by staying in ur net! u cut it down by coming out and making urself large as he does. hes prolly one of the best ive seen at doing this ask landycakes cuz sutts pretty much won our only road win for us by doing this!

nimamalek
07-10-2008, 08:49 AM
you're an idiot
1. you're suppose to come out and cut the angle
2. sutton wasnt coming out to cut down the angle he was coming out to collect the header from Edu that never came
3. i dont remember any goals that sutton came out and got burned this year, but i do remember coming out and cutting the angle of Donovan and saving us the LA game
4. you're an idiot

Azerban
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Wrong board.
This is the Sutton fan club board so your post will be treated like a flame

yes it is not because it is the dumbest thing ever

joel
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
wow, have you ever played soccer before in your life?

stretchthetruth
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I was always under the impression that in a situation like that, the keeper should put immediate pressure on the ball, and not wait for the player to come to him... its really a shit situation for a keeper to be in anyway, and if he's successful in stopping a goal, then its a pretty big accomplishment.

James17930
07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Okay, no one's thinking about what I'm saying here.

Cutting down the angle doesn't mean running out to the edge of the 18. Even if Edu botched the header, he was still right on Sebrango -- he had time to recover and try to get in front of him again.

Sutton running out like he did gives him only one chance -- and a very slim one at that -- of stopping the play. Unless you're Cunny, any striker of worth is going to go around the keeper in that situation and score.

Remember the Euro final? Lehman did the same thing with two defenders on Torres and Torres just flipped it over him.

I said Sutton should stay back -- but not BACK ONTO THE GOAL LINE. I just mean, don't run out. Hang back, but out far enough to cut down the angle and then wait for the shot. We've all seen how good he is stopping point-blank shots . . . well, Edu would've recovered and at least run Sebrango towards a worse angle, and Sutton might've had a chance on the ensuing shot. That's all I'm saying.

you're an idiot
1. you're suppose to come out and cut the angle
2. sutton wasnt coming out to cut down the angle he was coming out to collect the header from Edu that never came
3. i dont remember any goals that sutton came out and got burned this year, but i do remember coming out and cutting the angle of Donovan and saving us the LA game
4. you're an idiot

2. f Sutton was running out to collect a header from Edu then that was stupid because it looked like Edu was trying to head it to the side and away from goal when he flubbed it.

4. Fuck you.

Rawkus_420
07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
:confused: how does a goalie backing into the net cut the angle down

I was thinking the same thing....this is not suttons fault at all, cutting the angle down involves coming out fot he net, which he did. Therefore the initial post on this thread is ass backwards. What did the Vancouver goalie do when cunny was 1-1, did he back into the net to cut down the angle, NO, if he did that cunny maybe ( a bigmaybe) would have scored. But instead the Vancouver keeper came right at him. LIKE HES SUPPOSED TO. I used to play backup keeper for my travelling team, and trust me we were never coached to go back into the net to cut off the angle.:hump:

James17930
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Guys, FFS, I said, DON'T RUN OUT TO THE EDGE OF THE 18.

Come out maybe halfway -- that'll cut the angle down fine.

Kickit09
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
that goal isnt sutton's fault, but he didnt play it well at all. he run up to the ball, crouched and made him self as small as posible then just leaned over when the ball was within arms reach. you'd think a goalie tall as him would at least reach out with the arms but sutton just kinda flopped over.

Niall
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
How you are blaming Sutton for that goal is beyond me...

and I'm not a huge Sutton fan.

dannyd
07-10-2008, 10:49 AM

No, you're wong there... you either stay on your line, or commit 100%, thats basic goal keeping... if you stop half way you'll get caught in no-mans land and it's an easy lob or slot past the keeper (unless your Cunningham)...

James17930
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
No, you're wong there... you either stay on your line, or commit 100%, thats basic goal keeping... if you stop half way you'll get caught in no-mans land and it's an easy lob or slot past the keeper (unless your Cunningham)...

Not when you're 6' 6"

nimamalek
07-10-2008, 10:56 AM

he didnt run out to the edge of the 18 and he was waiting for the back pass from Edu this wasnt a goalie error this was a defensive error

nimamalek
07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Not when you're 6' 6"

doesnt matter how tall he is, any good keeper knows on a break you come and take the ball from the players feet, just like Nolly did against cunny, although cunny fucked that up bad

Heathen
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Not when you're 6' 6"

if he was 10' 6" that might stop him from getting lobbed, 6' 6" doesn't

James17930
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
doesnt matter how tall he is, any good keeper knows on a break you come and take the ball from the players feet, just like Nolly did against cunny, although cunny fucked that up bad

Yes, but only if the player is in alone. Not when he's got a defender on him.

Edu stumbled but he was still basically on Sebrango and could easily have gotten in his way. All that happened was Sutton got in Edu's way so Edu took off for the net which ended up not doing anything.

billybremner
07-10-2008, 12:01 PM

hahahaha very funny... played a lot of 'keeper have ya?? you can't be serious.