PDA

View Full Version : Beckham Rules Out PSG Move

MartinUtd
01-03-2012, 09:00 AM
David Beckham has decided not to join Paris Saint-Germain for family reasons, according to reports in France.

Full article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16394706.stm)

Looks like we'll be facing golden balls again come March.

ManUtd4ever
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Rogers, Bell, and Larry Tanenbaum will be thrilled, as this news will surely add a few more bums in the seats for the CCL match at Rogers Center.

TFC Cityboy
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I can hear MLSE bean counters licking their lips already

Oblio2
01-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Rogers, Bell, and Larry Tanenbaum will be thrilled, as this news will surely add a few more bums in the seats for the CCL match at Rogers Center.

But he's out of contract at LA

West220Side
01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
But he's out of contract at LA

Yes, however the only other club who has been reported as planning a move for Beckham is Tottenham Hotspur. Beckham just called off Paris Saint Germaine millions because of "family reasons" you think he's really going to pack-up and go to Qatar, or somewhere else? I can see him staying with the LA Galaxy.

Roogsy
01-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I said it when the rumours started coming out and this seems to vindicate it. Victoria was not going to want to move to Paris. It was not going to suit her business nor her family life.

When you have money, California is a great place to live. And to run a business. When the rumours seemed to indicate that the PSG signing was imminent I did not want to believe it until I saw him with a PSG shirt on. It just never made any sense to me unless PSG were going to throw gobs of money at him.

prizby
01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
he has said playing for any other team in england other than man united would not feel right...hey if it means a sold out skydome, nice...at 36 years...2 months away from 37, near the end of pre-season...i'll put my money on him not being match fit

Gazza
01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I said it when the rumours started coming out and this seems to vindicate it. Victoria was not going to want to move to Paris. It was not going to suit her business nor her family life.

When you have money, California is a great place to live. And to run a business. When the rumours seemed to indicate that the PSG signing was imminent I did not want to believe it until I saw him with a PSG shirt on. It just never made any sense to me unless PSG were going to throw gobs of money at him.

Not to get into the TMZ/Entertainment Tonight crap, but doesn't her business have to do with fashion? I always thought that Paris made a lot of sense for them because of her ties to the fashion industry.

And i thought PSG WAS throwing gobs of money at him?

brad
01-03-2012, 10:14 AM
What the word is from back in England has been for a while that Becks wants to play for team Great Britain in the Olympics this summer. In order to do so, he needs to be playing. PSG have much better players in the midfield than Beckham is right now, as such he would have a hard time getting any significant playing time.

bman27
01-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Not to get into the TMZ/Entertainment Tonight crap, but doesn't her business have to do with fashion? I always thought that Paris made a lot of sense for them because of her ties to the fashion industry.

one rumour I heard it was around 16 mil for 16 months :eek:

Oldtimer
01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
one rumour I heard it was around 16 mil for 16 months :eek:

Yes, PSG did throw gobs on money at him.

But as I said earlier, when you're a gazillionaire, extra millions means little compared to your family. I think he made the right decision, the age his kids are at make an international move difficult.

Roogsy
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM

Not to get all metrosexual on you, but Paris is about "haute couture" and that is not Victoria's segment of the industry. Not to mention, I doubt Victoria even speaks French would be a significant impediment. And her business structure (staff, operations) are in the UK and the US. To move it to Paris would be a logistical nightmare. In no way does moving to Paris make sense for her.

The problem here is that her business is such a minor piece of the Beckham wealth. So that alone would not be a significant factor. That is where you add the "family" lifestyle, which would also not suit Paris. Given her lifestyle preference, I would argue there are only two choices for Goldenballs. LA or UK.

Again...unless PSG throw buckets of money at him. I don't know the particulars of the PSG offer, I haven't really kept up to date. This may just be a negotiating ploy to get more out of them given that Brad makes a good point about the English national team.

Redcoe15
01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
And they'll try and jack ticket prices up for it. They're masters at screwing up a one car parade. :prrr:

Suds
01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, PSG did throw gobs on money at him.

But as I said earlier, when you're a gazillionaire, extra millions means little compared to your family. I think he made the right decision, the age his kids are at make an international move difficult.

Sure makes it easier to turn down a huge contract when you've already banked millions and live a lifestyle others can only dream of.

But I still have to give the guy credit though for thinking of his family first. Word is PSG was offering something in the range of $16 million. That would be hard to run down.

brad
01-03-2012, 11:06 AM
^^Based on what I know about him - I'd bet the choice is motivated by career and not money or family. He'll want to represent England one last time above all else.

sully
01-03-2012, 12:18 PM

god I hope we won't have 1000s of teenagers screaming everytime he touches the ball..cringe

kodiakTFC
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Can anyone else imagine how the marketing for this match will look? A big poster with Donovan, Keane and inbetween them Becks; all of them over top the SkyDome. Then in the far right corner a small picture of Frings to represent TFC.

Roogsy
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Looks like he signed in LA.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1003836/david-beckham-set-to-snub-psg-to-stay-at-la-galaxy?cc=5901

Yohan
01-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Can anyone else imagine how the marketing for this match will look? A big poster with Donovan, Keane and inbetween them Becks; all of them over top the SkyDome. Then in the far right corner a small picture of Frings to represent TFC.
It's all about Becks. Robbie Keane and Landycakes aren't going to sell that much extra tickets

Yohan
01-03-2012, 12:33 PM
god I hope we won't have 1000s of teenagers screaming everytime he touches the ball..cringe
I'll take that as long as it puts bums on the seats... even screaming teenage bums

Rudi
01-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I highly doubt it.

Reg_Sims
01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
If Beckham plays for the Galaxy in 2012,
Won't they have 4 DP's?

Beckham, Keane, Landy-Cakes, and they just signed Marcelo Sarvas this offseason

1+1+1+1 = 4...

Yohan
Sarvas is not a DP

Chevy

Come on lads, would a little positivity to start the new year off kill you?

Reg_Sims
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Plus for the game in March.
Because Noonan, and Sarvas played for Seattle and Ajuleuse they cannot play...

According to http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/TeamRelatedLink/0,,12856~2272~1,00.html
L.A. Galaxy roster is at 28 currently from players that have played.
They are allowed to submit max 30 players for the next stage.

So they have room to add 2 more for the game, but not Noonan or Sarvas.

Also, TFC's Roster is already at 29 according to:
http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/TeamRelatedLink/0,,12856~7977~1,00.html

Stupid Rule 5.7 in http://www.concacaf.com/staticFiles/7b/72/0,,12813~160379,00.pdf
States we cannot remove a player from list due to transfer...
(We have Sturgis 1 GP, D.Robinson 1 GP, Viator 1GP, Yourasswky 2 GP, Grifffit 1 GP, Borman 4 GP, Gold 1 GP, Zavarise 2 GP)
and players with 0GP listed (Santos, Gargan, Omphroy)

Reg_Sims
01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Sarvas is not a DP

Thanks, I thought he was getting more money than DP.
I stand corrected that they have only 3 right now.

jimiv
01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I can hear MLSE bean counters licking their lips already

I would suspect they were waiting to find out before they anounced ticket prices.

mastermixer
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I would suspect they were waiting to find out before they anounced ticket prices.

Exactly.... Conveniently Paul B tweeted today that ticket info will be available soon. Need to include the BST (Beckham Sales Tax).

MartinUtd
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Funny how some people view that guys as a friend to supporters. I would think his role is painfully obvious by now.

trane
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
FUCK BECKY. FUCK LADYCAKES. FUCK KEANE. We are going to fucking kill them in our city.

A CL GAME IN TORONTO. BRING IT ON.

Waggy
01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Funny how some people view that guys as a friend to supporters. I would think his role is painfully obvious by now.

.... as has been said numerous times over the past month, Concacaaf is in charge of when any team can release ticketing info and start selling. There's a reason Seattle hasn't either, or LAG, or any of the Mexican teasm etc. People here look for any excuse to find a conspiracy theory

Chevy
01-03-2012, 08:55 PM
FUCK BECKY. FUCK LADYCAKES. FUCK KEANE. We are going to fucking kill them in our city.

A CL GAME IN TORONTO. BRING IT ON.

We need a lot more of this ^^ and a lot less of the MLSE sucks/ticket pricing conspiracy/miscellaneous debbie downer shit.

Bring on those LA fuckers. Time to support the boys.

KGH
01-03-2012, 08:59 PM
I like ginger rb's and midget forwards. True story

SilverSamurai
01-04-2012, 12:12 AM
We need a lot more of this ^^ and a lot less of the MLSE sucks/ticket pricing conspiracy/miscellaneous debbie downer shit.

Bring on those LA fuckers. Time to support the boys.
+1.

A guy I work with were talking about this today. Started arguing about who's going to call in sick. lol

Auzzy
01-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Who is this over-the-hill golden-balls wanker anyway? Too average for his own thread for sure. Merge with the non-TFC off-season movement thread please.

:D

Definitely looking forward to March 7th!

MartinUtd
01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Who is this over-the-hill golden-balls wanker anyway? Too average for his own thread for sure. Merge with the non-TFC off-season movement thread please.

:D

Definitely looking forward to March 7th!

hahaha.. You're right.. sorry about that. This guy doesn't need any more glorification as it is (and yes, his own thread classifies as glorification in my books). So as the thread starter, I apologize :o

glaze
01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Does it matter how much tix cost - they could charge 50 dollars for behind the net and we`d still buy them all. And i agree with previous posts, if it means a full dome, great. We`ve all experienced CCL games in a less than half full bmo. I`ll take a sold out rogers centre, even if it means half the people are there mainly for becks.

Roogsy
01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Grant Wahl chimes in on the Beckham move-nonmove.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/01/05/beckham/index.html?eref=sircrc

It indeed came down to family.

tfcleeds
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
If half (or more than half) the stadium is there for Goldenballs, all the more sweeter it will be when TFC stuffs them!