PDA

View Full Version : MLS-RUMORS.NET is Dead

Razcle
12-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I am sure many of us have parused this site since 2007 to see what kind of ridiculous rumors are out there of players coming to the MLS. While it has not been the more credible site, there was always something of interest within the articles they posted and gave me some things to think about.

Looks like their servers got too much traffic lately and they have not been able to generate the revenue to pay for it. Its too bad to hear but hopefully someone else will fill the void and maintain the entertainment of transfer rumors in the MLS.

:violin: http://www.mls-rumors.net/ :violin:

ensco
12-24-2011, 12:39 PM
They did actually break the Dero to TFC trade.

prizby
12-24-2011, 01:41 PM
increase of traffic..wouldn't that have meant an increase in ad revenue too?

doesn't make sense to me

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Nooooo! Maybe I should reveal all the made up rumours I sent to them over the years?

Razcle
12-24-2011, 04:00 PM
we could all write what rumors we sent to MLSR however with their archive down we cannot substantiate. I always told them to shout out my mother with every story I sent, saying she was an avid reader. They actually did it each time.

UltraSuperMegaMo
12-24-2011, 04:59 PM
I normally sent them things I knew or thought to be true with the occasional wildcard thrown in.

I'll confess I made up the Iwan Redan to TFC rumour.

razor787
12-24-2011, 09:40 PM
I made up a rumor of Jarrod Smith heading to the Kaiser Chiefs, and another with Rohan Ricketts. Forget where I linked him though lol.

ginkster88
12-24-2011, 10:06 PM
increase of traffic..wouldn't that have meant an increase in ad revenue too?

doesn't make sense to me

100% depends on the nature of the ads they are running.

If they are only running ads where they are paid per click instead of impression, the uptick in traffic would not necessarily mean the ad revenue would go up.

Auzzy
12-24-2011, 11:34 PM
I often had the feeling that these MLSR guys were pretty clueless on the technical side (in addition to the soccer side), which might help explain the problems they had with making a go of this site. E.g., the pictures/graphics were usually screwed up: wrong sizing/aspect ratio, which means they would look distorted and fuzzy. The site often loaded slowly, and the ads were mostly garbage, slow-loading and generally too busy. Occasionally the ads would try to infect your computer, with different versions of fake security software scams, and other junk. (I never got infected, because my browsers & AV software were up-to-date, but I'm sure some other folks got hit. Generally not the sign of a well-run web site.) All these were additional reasons for me to avoid the web site most of the time.

razor787
12-25-2011, 04:02 AM
yeah, the site had a lot of sketchy links, and was impossible for me to use from my phone. Ended up using way too much data, and took too long to load. Had it been better programmed, with better ad's, it could have been a good site. But for me, I was to worried about doing damage to my computer by going there. I definately got spyware from there at least once.

London
12-25-2011, 08:20 AM
good riddance to garbage

Parkdale
12-25-2011, 08:25 AM
haha... these were the clowns that considered "Parkdale is going to 'expose' Seattle" as a story worth running.

in the end though, I value independent voices, even if I don't agree with them.

eustacchio
12-25-2011, 09:21 AM
^ I think that might be the only time I ever actually went to that site.

PopePouri
12-25-2011, 10:44 AM
All things said, they were probably getting some coin from there. i hope no one is affected by the loss of revenue.

ag futbol
12-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Meh, it started up pretty sloppy, but they eventually cleaned it up a lot. In the end it functioned as what it was supposed to be, just a central hub for a bunch of rumors from different sources.

League has nothing of the sort at this point, kind of unfortunate.

Yohan
12-25-2011, 05:21 PM
League has nothing of the sort at this point, kind of unfortunate.
there is a rumours section on the mls site

ginkster88
12-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Ives will post rumours as well.

ag futbol
12-25-2011, 09:43 PM
^ Yeah, neither is as comprehensive though and both have downfalls. With the MLS site there is always that potential conflict of interest where they'd mute anything teams might not want public due to the discovery process. For writers like Ives, they've got other things on their plate. It's unlikely he's going to extensively mine through google to reference someone else's sources for players. Low value add for him compared to producing his own articles.

Cashcleaner
12-25-2011, 10:15 PM
MLS to Des Moines. 'Nuff said.

Shakes McQueen
12-25-2011, 10:28 PM
That website was atrocious. It was accurate about as often as any of us would be, just making guesses based on what made sense to us.

And often, as Cash just pointed out, they didn't even manage to limp over that low bar.

I would say "good riddance", but the site was completely irrelevant to me. Remember the time the time we were speculating about potential TFC moves on this forum, and then a few hours later they showed up there?

If I wasn't at work, I'd insert the Price is Right fail horn here.

- Scott

Oldtimer
12-26-2011, 12:59 AM
I would say "good riddance", but the site was completely irrelevant to me. Remember the time the time we were speculating about potential TFC moves on this forum, and then a few hours later they showed up there?

I would say they were irrelevant, except for the fact that they broadly broadcast far and wide a false story how TFC supporters were "hooligans" for "peeing on a church fence during a wedding in Columbus."

Just that misinformation alone made me mistrust everything they said from that moment on.

Parkdale
12-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I would say they were irrelevant, except for the fact that they broadly broadcast far and wide a false story how TFC supporters were "hooligans" for "peeing on a church fence during a wedding in Columbus."

hahaha... I'm never going to hear the end of that one.

Razcle
12-27-2011, 08:52 AM
^ Not to head too far off topic, but there were two fences inbetween the Crew parking ground prior to setting foot on church soil.

Did anyone actually hop the first fence and cross the road to take a piss? Because I think we all dropped our pants at some point on the Crew parking fence because of their lack of port-o-poties. I seem to always hear different stories that go as far as people actually pissing on the church, which I don't remember seeing at all.

Parkdale
12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
no one pissed on the church. It would have involved climbing very high fences and crossing a road. I know that when the one guy got a 'talking to' by the police, and the rest of us were doing the pee-pee dance while waiting for the cops to leave - the church parking lot was empty - not a single car. Maybe later into the day someone arrived and saw other people pissing on the fence, and if they looked really closely, across the church parking lot, the road, and a big ditch, they would have seen some canadian peckers.

In the end, if Crew stadium had actually provided facilities for us, there wouldn't have been an issue.

FLASHBACK TIME
SlNEPHjh9xI

on closer inspection.... you can totally see the church in the background of some shots. And yes, it's across a road and behind a 10 foot fence. check 3:39 in the video

London
12-27-2011, 09:37 AM
^^^ and a guy pissing on the fence LOL

Parkdale
12-27-2011, 11:14 AM
oh that's not up for debate - we all pissed on the fence. The issue is that the fence was across the road from the parking lot, at the back side of a church.

the way the papers made it sound, I was dipping my balls in the holywater, during first communion.

London
12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
^^ i meant the irony of a guy pissing on the fence in the footage.

when i went to piss on the fence there was was police car right in front of the church, i thought better of it and pissed behind a car, there was no event taking place at the church

Maltese Falcon
12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Remember the Adriano dines with Mo Johnston to seal contract farce. Hilarious.