PDA

View Full Version : Waste of space players?

Keegan
07-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Edwards sits on the bench yet takes up a YI spot?

Cunningham takes up about 1/7th of our team salary yet is a SI, has a bad attitude and can't score?

Time to move these yanks south

werewolf
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
And what Canadians would we replace them with? Serge and Lombardo?

Pachuco
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM

Cunningham takes up about 1/7th of our team salary yet is a SI, has a bad attitude and can't score?

I have no idea why your picking on Edwards.

tfc_4_ever
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
HEre is the star to thethreads of anger :)

noochie
07-09-2008, 11:05 PM
There is no such thing as YI anymore. But yeah... he shoulda saved those two from the bench :rolleyes:

Dirk Diggler
07-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Where is that "Old Man Yells at Cloud" picture when you need it.

Edit: Here it is http://www.justn.com/Site/Blog/516A64C2-B998-4E95-8D14-E434A9BC6A16_files/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Keegan
07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
What has Edwards done? That is a good question

well... he isn't starting and is a very weak shot stopper as we have seen on many occasions so what is the point of taking up an international spot?
anyone? buehler? buehler?

Canadians to replace them with?!?! THANK GOD SOMEONE ASKED!!!

ALI GERBA and DAVID MONSALVE or Wagenaar!! Phew.... now someone tell me that Gerba isn't better than Cunningham or that Wagenaar or Monsalve couldn't sit as good on the bench as Edwards?!

Gerba is the complete opposite of Cunningham. He doesn't dive, he is tough, strong, hard working, FINISHES almost every chance he gets and is only 26.

werewolf
07-09-2008, 11:12 PM
If we can get Gerba thats fantastic, but SJ has the first rights to him.

Edwards has a lower GAA then Sutton. Monsalve is not ready to be a back-up and Wagenaar is garbage.

Keegan
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
If we can get Gerba thats fantastic, but SJ has the first rights to him.

Edwards has a lower GAA then Sutton. Monsalve is not ready to be a back-up and Wagenaar is garbage.

Sorry but GAA? :D:D

This isn't hockey GAA shows more on a defense than a keeper. Keeping isn't about stats at all and it would be dumb to think Edwards is the same level as Sutton after some of the performances Greg has given us. DC United, LA, KC, he ran the show in those games.

Edwards has been very weak we've seen that many times. New England being a recent example.

noochie
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I don't see why replacements have to be Canadian... if Cunny goes replace him a <insert country here> for all anyone cares.

werewolf
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
GAA is what is on the MLS website.

Roogsy
Edwards has done a great job. And considering where we were last year when Sutton went down??? I think you guys have a short memory. There is no reason to be shipping out a great prospect like Edwards. This idea is pretty crazy.

Keegan
GAA is what is on the MLS website.

well obviously they aren't just going to leave wins and losses.

noochie
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Sorry but GAA? :D:D

This isn't hockey GAA shows more on a defense than a keeper. Keeping isn't about stats at all and it would be dumb to think Edwards is the same level as Sutton after some of the performances Greg has given us. DC United, LA, KC, he ran the show in those games.

Edwards has been very weak we've seen that many times. New England being a recent example.

Edwards saves 80% of shots on target. Sutton saves 71%.

werewolf
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I still don't see how Wagenaar would be a better option then Edwards.

Keegan
07-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Edwards has done a great job. And considering where we were last year when Sutton went down??? I think you guys have a short memory. There is no reason to be shipping out a great prospect like Edwards. This idea is pretty crazy.

Great prospect like Edwards? He turns 24 this year. he isn't exactly some prodigy. David Monsalve is 19 years old and turns 20 in December, I'd like to give him a shot as he has had u-20 experience, won a PK contest in Olympic Qualies, played against Aston Villa at just 18.

Even Djekanovic who was good for us last year.

Daveisonfire
07-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Honestly though, I think we can all agree this stat means very little. The degree of difficulty on most of Edwards saves are pretty low. His best saves imo were the penalty stops against Pachuca.

Keegan
07-09-2008, 11:22 PM

They should have a column called weak goals.

How many does greg have?
how many does Brian have?

NUFF said

noochie
07-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Honestly though, I think we can all agree this stat means very little. The degree of difficulty on most of Edwards saves are pretty low. His best save imo were the penalty stops against Pachuca.

It also could mean that he has better positioning than Sutton, which I think he does have.

noochie
07-09-2008, 11:25 PM

How many does greg have?

NUFF said

I am not bashing Sutton... I am saying we have two good keepers.

TFC07
07-09-2008, 11:26 PM

Word. :canada:

Pachuco
07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
It also could mean that he has better positioning than Sutton, which I think he does have.

He also has FAR better distribution then Sutton. Both with his legs and his arms.

TFC07
07-09-2008, 11:27 PM
And what Canadians would we replace them with? Serge and Lombardo?

Ali G being one of the Canadians I would love to see play for TFC instead of San Jose.

Roogsy
07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Great prospect like Edwards? He turns 24 this year. he isn't exactly some prodigy. David Monsalve is 19 years old and turns 20 in December, I'd like to give him a shot as he has had u-20 experience, won a PK contest in Olympic Qualies, played against Aston Villa at just 18.

For an American player...24 is nice and young.

Edwards will never be a star, but we don't need him to be. We just need a solid keeper and a fairly young one at that.

He does both. I am fine with him on the roster. Giving him up already would be a waste of our draft pick especially for players that we don't need to give up draft picks for.

Monsalve is developing nicely but he is not an MLS backup yet and that is what we need right now. Hence, Edwards fills a need. What more do you want? To find us in the same position as last year with Sutton going down and then a game of musical chairs at the starting keeper position?

werewolf
07-09-2008, 11:29 PM

We are trying to win this year, not giving guys shots. Monsalve let in 7 goals in the two games he played last year, sure he is young, which is why he isn't starting.

Edwards has been getting better each game. He gives us a better chance to win then Serge, Monsalve and Wagenaar.

Daveisonfire
07-09-2008, 11:30 PM

I wouldn't agree, especially if you factor in Edwards positioning on balls delivered into the area.

I'm not bashing Edwards though, I think we have two good keepers:D
Certainly NOT a "waste of space yank"

Cunningham and Edu (Sophmore edition) on the other hand...;)

Pachuco
07-09-2008, 11:30 PM

Funny things is, please tell me how many times you've seen Monsalve play recently? really? do you work for the club? do you see him at practice? what the hell do you know about Edwards vs Monsalve?

FluSH
07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Gerba is the complete opposite of Cunningham. He doesn't dive, he is tough, strong, hard working, FINISHES almost every chance he gets and is only 26.

Now the question is... will Gerba play on Turf?!

noochie
07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't agree, especially if you factor in Edwards positioning on balls delivered into the area.

I'm not bashing Edwards though, I think we have two good keepers:D
Certainly NOT a "waste of space yank"

Cunningham and Edu (Sophmore edition) on the other hand...;)

Fair enough... agree to disagree then. The dreaded "stats" support my argument though ;).

That and I agree with Pachuco, he is more clever with his distribution. I get enraged when Sutton launches a ball dead straight up the middle into 3 defenders with no TFC player in sight for the 600th time in a game.

Roogsy
07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
And correct me if I am wrong...but did Edwards not save TWO penalty kicks against Pachuca?

I love Sutts...but he hasn't saved one and doesn't look like he will anytime soon. It's not his strong suit.

Edwards is a good backup. A great backup in fact. Most teams in MLS would love to have one of his quality and I for one am glad we have him. I think he can replace Sutts when Greg retires or moves on.

FluSH
07-09-2008, 11:35 PM

How many does greg have?

NUFF said

Well... let's not forget that a Tall keeper like Sutton is vulnerable down South... However we have seem some amazing stops by Sutton that would have been hard to stop without his wing span.

Daveisonfire
07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Fair enough... agree to disagree then. The dreaded "stats" support my argument though ;).

That and I agree with Pachuco, he is more clever with his distribution. I get enraged when Sutton launches a ball dead straight up the middle into 3 defenders with no TFC player in sight for the 600th time in a game.

Agreed;)

FluSH
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
P.S. I edited the title... if you have a problem with it let me know.

Roogsy
07-09-2008, 11:39 PM
P.S. I edited the title... if you have a problem with it let me know.

I have a problem...WITH YOU! LOL! :taz:

FluSH
07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
I have a problem...WITH YOU! LOL! :taz:

Listen... You better be going to Chicago cause we need a Drummer!!! P.S. I'll make sure I take my passport this time around before leaving it in your car!!!

Roogsy
07-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Really? Crap...didn't try to make this one...I was kind of worn from lots of stuff going on these past couple of months plus the away trips. I kind of front-loaded my spring and now I am paying for it.

Cashcleaner
07-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Edwards needs more credit where it's due. He's nowhere near as bad a keeper as some are probably thinking. Sutton is still stronger, but for a number #2 in net, we could do a lot worse.

GabrielHurl
07-10-2008, 06:26 AM
I really hate this board sometimes

Shaughno
07-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Edwards needs more credit where it's due. He's nowhere near as bad a keeper as some are probably thinking. Sutton is still stronger, but for a number #2 in net, we could do a lot worse.

Definitely agree. He needs some work, but at 24 he has another 5-6 years before he starts getting into his prime. I'm confident he will be a regular in the MLS in the future. His distribution makes Sutton look like a rec league keeper at times, but he's still shaky on crosses which may party be due to his size or lack there of.

Daveisonfire
07-10-2008, 08:08 AM

Agreeeeeed:)

nimamalek
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
cunningham is the only guy not pulling his weight this year, i think everyone else has a place on the team

kitchener-TFC
07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Cunningham is shit!
WHY THE F*CK IS HE STILL PLAYING FOR US?

invictusTFC
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
You can tell by his demeanor on the field and his body language that is heart isn't into it. He checked out a long time ago. He is selfish and we don't need players like that on this team. I don't know how Carver doesn't see that.

Azerban
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
one obvious and one wrong, great thread, voted 5

ExiledRed
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh It's that time of year again, when Keegan gets all frustrated because there are players in the squad that are 'cock blocking' his canadian heroes.

Lombardo was Tiny Toon's canadian hero last year, he should have had the start over Dichio you know.

I wonder Keegan, have you forgiven Mo for cutting Asante and Jamal Smith yet?

Btw Monsalve over Edwards? GTFOOH!

ExiledRed
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Cunningham is beyond argument now, he's a persistent joke.

I hope he gets his 100th MLS goal for San Jose Earthquakes.

Shaughno
07-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Oh It's that time of year again, when Keegan gets all frustrated because there are players in the squad that are 'cock blocking' his canadian heroes.

Lombardo was Tiny Toon's canadian hero last year, he should have had the start over Dichio you know.

QFT right there. Next will be let's bring back Marco Reda and Adam Braz and drop James, Tebily and Velez.

stretchthetruth
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM

even as someone who defended Cunny longer than most, i'm in total agreement. time to move on, jeff - its been a slice, but I would have finished more of the chances youve had...

trane
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I have to be honest, I think that while Sutton has made harder stops, edwards has been more consistent in Goal. I have not seen any of the recent non-MLS games, so I am speaking of over a month ago.

Cashcleaner
07-12-2008, 05:07 AM

I can only defend guys for so long. You're absolutely right with Cunningham. He no longer has a place with this team unless a complete about-face is made on his part. I've been told there is more than meets the eye with him and Carver, but can't go into details.

djking2
07-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Fuck Cunny but as for the Edwards-Monsalve issue Keegan you missed the point. Monsalve is a MLS pool player so when we need him we can use him. Just like we did when Sutton was gone to the CMNT and Edwards started. Mosalve was sitting on the bench. So unless you figure you're better at this than Carver............

Keegan
07-12-2008, 02:00 PM

Lombardo over Dichio? ummm I never said that. Both are shit players and had little spurts last season which made me think they were pretty good.

who the fuck is Jamal Smith? As far as I know he never even made it to Carolina.

One of the main points of TFC is to develop Canadian talent, it isn't just a club with red kits that you can whack off to scouser.

TFC07
07-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Keegan: You got to wait for couple of years (hopefully) to see Canadian players taking over this team. Right now, it is hard to attract Canadian players because the money isn't good in MLS. Also keep in mind that we got our academy step up now and looks like there are couple of players in academy that will make it to senior roster (or at least development roster) in couple of years.

Roogsy
07-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Yup...TFC is doing their part for Canadian soccer with the academy and having designated roster spots for Canadians. This isnt the CMNT, Toronto does not have to continually change themselves to fix the Canadian problem.