PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post article on MLS' advantage over Euro football

Oldtimer
12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
MLS has something the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A don’t: competitive balance

It’s easy to focus on MLS’s shortcomings. So let’s do that: the level of play sometimes stinks. Too many mediocre teams make the playoffs. There’s turf. There’s an empty stadium in Frisco. There’s Dracula’s blind cousin Baldomero Toledo manning the center circle. There’s a team with a Spanish name in a state that has all the Latin spice of toast dipped in water rolled in cabbage shavings.
Still: in at least one way, MLS is infinitely better than the Premier League. Better than La Liga. Better than Serie A. And that’s competitive balance (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/united/mls-cup-2011-landon-donovan-goal-gives-la-galaxy-championship-win-over-houston-dynamo/2011/11/20/gIQA3xchgN_story.html).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/box-seats/post/mls-has-something-the-premier-league-la-liga-and-serie-a-dont-competitive-balance/2010/12/20/gIQAH0u14O_blog.html

ginkster88
12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Which is the Spanish-named team?

Don't feel like thinking about it.

sully
12-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Which is the Spanish-named team?

Don't feel like thinking about it.

Royal Salt Lake in english.

Juanito
12-20-2011, 10:21 AM
^^

This one really, really, really bugs me!

What's ROYAL about Utah?! Must be that Kingdom of Mormons I hear!!

FFS .... come up with something that makes sense!!

Whoop
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd be more impressed with this column if it came from an outsider instead of one of the DC beat reporters.

ensco
12-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Do RSL still have some sort of deal with Real Madrid?

Juanito
12-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Sporting KC is another one ....

However, this one isn't nearly as bad.

I never call that team from Utah Real (as in Rey-al), I refer to them as Real (as in opposite of fake) or just simple Fake Salt Lake. I REFUSE to acknowledge that stupid name. JUANITO IS GETTING VERY UPSET!!

Fort York Redcoat
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Ugh. Another article trying to spotlight how worldly MLS is not. This is a double edged sword. What makes MLS unlike world football makes it like NA sports.

I like more people following the league.

If they follow it because it has better parity than world football that makes throw up in my mouth.

Parity breeds insular thought.

Juanito
12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I'd be more impressed with this column if it came from an outsider instead of one of the DC beat reporters.

It is what it is.

Whoop
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Ugh. Another article trying to spotlight how worldly MLS is not. This is a double edged sword. What makes MLS unlike world football makes it like NA sports.

If they follow it because it has better parity than world football that makes throw up in my mouth.

Thanks for putting it more eloquently than me Pete.

That's why I said if it was someone outside of the MLS sphere saying "MLS has some things going for it" I would give it more pause.

Detroit_TFC
12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Do RSL still have some sort of deal with Real Madrid?

I think RSL FO occasionally assert so, website still references the 10-year deal signed in 2007. I don't think RM has followed through on any joint efforts in years.

Yohan
12-20-2011, 10:37 AM

I don't think I can agree with this.

MLS 2.0 suggests MLS is progressively loosening up parity

Yohan
12-20-2011, 10:39 AM
I think RSL FO occasionally assert so, website still references the 10-year deal signed in 2007. I don't think RM has followed through on any joint efforts in years.
RSL would be mocked just as much as Chivas USA if it wasn't for the fact that they don't suck

prizby
12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
yes competitive balance...with an unbalanced schedule...brilliant

there are way tooo many draws

Fort York Redcoat
12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think I can agree with this.

MLS 2.0 suggests MLS is progressively loosening up parity

I'm not saying we're not improving in my eyes and slackening focus on parity at all. The actions the league is taking over recent years is helping things for me.....

....which kinda hurts the legs of this article.

RSL would be mocked just as much as Chivas USA if it wasn't for the fact that they don't suck

But the Chivas connection is more believable. It's one border away and the Mexican connection is valid.

P.S.- Parity is the Devil.

Beach_Red
12-20-2011, 11:09 AM

It doesn't have to. What they're looking for is a way to have all the teams in the league play by the same rules - and they want to include player salaries in the rules the same as having the same number of men on the field.

So within those rules some teams will be consistently better than others. Better management will win more often, not just richer management. What's wrong with that?

Juanito
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

But the Chivas connection is more believable. It's one border away and the Mexican connection is valid.

Chivas USA makes perfect sense. They are the American little brother of Chivas Guadalajara. FYR is correct.

RSL is just stupid and pathetic. Putting the MICKEY MOUSE in MLS!!!

Juanito
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
It doesn't have to. What they're looking for is a way to have all the teams in the league play by the same rules - and they want to include player salaries in the rules the same as having the same number of men on the field.

So within those rules some teams will be consistently better than others. Better management will win more often, not just richer management. What's wrong with that?

Parity, for whatever reason, is what is expected in America. Same as playoffs.

The NASL failed because the Cosmos and a few other teams were just too powerful compared to everyone else. I know I'm oversimplifying the situation, but this was a very big part of it.

MLS has survived all these years because it has such a small salary cap. I think we are ready to take the next step. Evolution is necessary.

Juanito
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
According to Wikipedia:

Salary cap in MLS

Here are some highlights of the new MLS rules and regulations for the 2011 season.

A team's roster can be made up to 30 players. They are eligible to be selected to the 18-player team for each game.

The salary cap will be $2,675,000 per team, not counting the extra salary of designated players. Players in the first 20 roster spots will count against the cap.

The maximum budget charge for any one player is $335,000.
A designated player counts $335,000 against a team's cap. However, if a player joins his team in the middle of the season, the charge against the budget will be $167,500.

Players who are in the roster spots from 21-30 will not count against a team's cap. They will be known as off-budget players. Generation adidas players are off-budget players and not counted against the cap.

For 2012, the cap number for international designated players will depend on the players' ages. Players under 20 will count $150,000 against the cap and those age 21 to 23 will count $200,000, with older players remaining at a cap number of $335,000.

It's slowly going up.

Yohan
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Chivas USA makes perfect sense. They are the American little brother of Chivas Guadalajara. FYR is correct.

RSL is just stupid and pathetic. Putting the MICKEY MOUSE in MLS!!!lol really?

when I see how Chivas USA is doing, or what it is made up of, I don't see Chivas. I see another MLS team that happens to lack identity

Kaz
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I gotta ask how are half of the people here called fans? you seem to hate the league, team decisions and play, the owners. many of you don't like the player choices, ticket prices, food prices, location, stadium design, league schedule, refing, uniforms, the ball, broadcast schedule, play by play, drafts, trades, and coaching staff, heck you don't even like the other TFC fans.

Nothing anyone says or does when it comes to MLS makes anyone happy. Except Danny Dichio who had a poor strike rate compared to others (while he was here). (statistically Barrett scored more goals a game)

Honestly if this wasn't a good place to get news I'd never come back, this board is so negative.

Keyman
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM
The competitive balance of MLS creates unparalleled unpredictability. I love it.

There are certainly flaws with the MLS model, but overall I like it quite a bit. Uncapped leagues become oligopolized by two or three teams, year in and year out, ultimately making for an uninspiring and rather dull product in general. I would like to think that a team's success is largely determined by things like meticulous management, effort on the pitch and good coaching, rather than the depth of an owners pockets. I understand the value of a business model akin to the premiership's, but that's not a path I want MLS to venture down.

sully
12-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I gotta ask how are half of the people here called fans? you seem to hate the league, team decisions and play, the owners. many of you don't like the player choices, ticket prices, food prices, location, stadium design, league schedule, refing, uniforms, the ball, broadcast schedule, play by play, drafts, trades, and coaching staff, heck you don't even like the other TFC fans.

You can be a fan and not like a lot of what the league is and does. You can be a fan of Toronto FC and not the league. Because you don't like stuff usually means you want it to be better - that's being a good fan I think.

Juanito
12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Honestly if this wasn't a good place to get news I'd never come back, this board is so negative.

I'll give you that there is quite a bit of negativity, but I think for the most part it's "good negativity". People care. Maybe too much for North American standards. There is a difference between "fan" and "supporter". I consider myself a supporter, not a fan. I don't drink the Kool-Aid (a la Maple Leafs), I don't like taking it up the arse, and I get frustrated when the team is balls.

It's better than just not caring at all or homerism. However, I will admit that some people don't like this.

MLS has the distinct problem that they are simply not the best league. NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL are the best leagues in their respective sports. This means that MLS is always compared to whatever people feel is "the best" league in the world.

Also, I must point out that I like to bitch .... ;)

Detroit_TFC
12-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Nothing anyone says or does when it comes to MLS makes anyone happy. Except Danny Dichio who had a poor strike rate compared to others (while he was here). (statistically Barrett scored more goals a game)

I totally understand why you would say that, it makes me crazy sometimes. But IMO if you go to any fan board in any league in any country you would find the same thing. It's the nature of the thing. I'm sure I could find you threads on Blue Moon where Man City fans are completely losing their shit about dropping out of CL and ten other things.

TFCRegina
12-20-2011, 12:28 PM
^^

This one really, really, really bugs me!

What's ROYAL about Utah?! Must be that Kingdom of Mormons I hear!!

FFS .... come up with something that makes sense!!

What's ROYAL about America in General?

The REPUBLIC of Deseret (modern day Utah plus parts of other states) joined the Republic of the United States of America.

Not a single monarch between the two for the past 200+ years.

Oldtimer
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
The competitive balance of MLS creates unparalleled unpredictability. I love it.

There are certainly flaws with the MLS model, but overall I like it quite a bit. Uncapped leagues become oligopolized by two or three teams, year in and year out, ultimately making for an uninspiring and rather dull product in general. I would like to think that a team's success is largely determined by things like meticulous management, effort on the pitch and good coaching, rather than the depth of an owners pockets. I understand the value of a business model akin to the premiership's, but that's not a path I want MLS to venture down.

I'm in agreement with you. I don't like perfect parity, but it's great that a team can turn itself around in a couple of seasons.

That's what gives us hope as TFC supporters.

Look at leagues like Spain (only 2 teams have a hope of winning), Scotland (ditto), or England (4 or 5 teams).

Some Euro football pundits have said they like the idea of the MLS salary cap but recognize that at this point it would be impossible to implement. Their realistic view is that the path ahead is in Platini's fair-play rules.

Roogsy
12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Agreed Juanito on the RSL Mickey Mouse angle.

There is no plausible reason why Salt Lake should have anything "royal" in it's title, let alone mentioned in another language!

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Let's be...ahem...real here - Real Salt Lake wasn't named "Real" because there is any royalty involved.

It was named Real simply because a lot of big teams in Europe are named Real.

It's why DC United was named United - there's many "United"s in Europe.

I'm sure they don't think themselves as royalty, just a theme they're going with :D

Whoop
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Lots of big teams in Europe named Real?

There's only 1 big club and a couple of smaller Spanish clubs that use real.

tfcleeds
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Let's be...ahem...real here - Real Salt Lake wasn't named "Real" because there is any royalty involved.

I'm sure they don't think themselves as royalty, just a theme they're going with :D

Then why not just call them FC Salt Lake or something like that? Real Salt Lake is just ridiculous. If you want a European-sounding moniker, there are plenty of others they could have gone with than Real, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, given the context of the city, the state it's in, or even the country itself.

Fort York Redcoat
12-20-2011, 12:54 PM

No BR. I'm not having our annual Parity/Anti-Parity party!;)

In summary I will say that people that like the rules around the game as much (or more) than the game on the pitch can enjoy and celebrate NA sports over world football. I am not one of them.

I think our difference on this over the years my friend has always hinged on my perception that MLS has and will for some years have to be yanked between The NA way of sport and the world football model.

Keyman I won't disagree with your take on the strongest (or biggest ) leagues in the world but I will say that in their defense the teams at the top do change and take a lot longer to do it. It may take a little patience but it's the eventual change that makes it so special to fans of world football.

To flip the coin, I've fell out of love with NA sport for the lack of dynasties. Leagues here have the mentality to prop up the weakest in the league and make APATHETIC CHAMPIONS.

Roogsy
12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

The United thing is a more understandable reference. Some teams in Europe that have "United" in their names have loose connections to some form of grouping, and considering the North American history of soccer you can make a (albeit very loose) connection to the uniting of communities together in a cosmopolitan metropolis to support a football team if not the actual unification of two or more football clubs. United is a general reference and a broadly used term.

"Real" however is a direct (not broad) reference to a group or team associated with a Monarchy. There are no ifs ands or buts about that at all. And unless I missed something, Utah is about as far away from any sort of monarchy as you can get on this planet. So that reference is a completely obvious effort to make a reference or assocation to a "big club" in Europe (one that barely acknowledges the existance of this association) and that on it's own merits makes it Mickey Mouse.

tfcleeds
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Re: FYR's post

I do agree with your sentiment Pete in the case of a club like Dallas or Columbus - even with a winning team, these franchises still wouldn't draw flies, so why should they be propped up? But overall, I think parity is a good thing for the league - this league would have never gotten off the ground if one or two clubs dominated it from its inception, a la the Spanish league.

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Real Madrid, Real Mallorca, Real Zaragoza, Real Sporting de Gijón, Reial CD Espanyol de Barcelona in Spain

Real Potosí from Bolivia
Real Cartagena, Real Santander from Colombia
Real España from Honduras

Not to mention Royal Club Anderlecht and Royal Antwerp in Belgium, which play with the monarchy theme.

There's enough in Spain, like Real Madrid, to warrant a copying.

rocker
12-20-2011, 01:03 PM
if it wasn't for parity, TFC would have even fewer fans than it has now. ha ha ha.
And even though the league has this thing called parity, TFC has had the worst 5 years of any team that's been in the league since 2007... so it's not like every team is at the .500 mark, to use a baseball term. Even in MLS's parity outcome, we still have teams that suck and teams that rock. It's just a tighter range.

People always complain about the parity of MLS, but when you look at it, there are teams that defy it. TFC in the wrong way... LA in the right way. Why is that?
It's about understanding or not understanding what leads to success. In the big leagues in Europe, success correlates primarily with spending. You go out and buy the best, you generally win. In MLS, there's a totally different equation. But as we've seen with some coaches, there's a way to "defy parity" .... if you can figure out that equation. The forced parity of MLS just makes sure you don't fall too hard if you don't understand that equation. Given the failed attempts at pro leagues in North America and the weak position of soccer in North America in the past, I'm glad we have that cushion.

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Hey! I didn't name them! :D

But I understand where it's coming from, and the reasoning behind it - it's an attempt to work from the success of Real Madrid and get a similar buzz.

As for FC Salt Lake - Sure...I guess. It sounds pretty normal. Again, I'm not in charge of naming them :D

Fort York Redcoat
12-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Parity, for whatever reason, is what is expected in America. Same as playoffs.

The NASL failed because the Cosmos and a few other teams were just too powerful compared to everyone else. I know I'm oversimplifying the situation, but this was a very big part of it.

MLS has survived all these years because it has such a small salary cap. I think we are ready to take the next step. Evolution is necessary.

Re: FYR's post

I do agree with your sentiment Pete in the case of a club like Dallas or Columbus - even with a winning team, these franchises still wouldn't draw flies, so why should they be propped up? But overall, I think parity is a good thing for the league - this league would have never gotten off the ground if one or two clubs dominated it from its inception, a la the Spanish league.

I agree with you both. This league needed and still needs parity and single entity for stability but as Juan and Yohan alludes it's evolving away from it as people see that the sport is different then other more insular NA sports. It's a long process that I intend to see improve over the years.

I love having a team and I hope for the league to become more world-friendly in my eyes.

brad
12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Some Euro football pundits have said they like the idea of the MLS salary cap but recognize that at this point it would be impossible to implement. Their realistic view is that the path ahead is in Platini's fair-play rules.

I like the idea of the cap, I just don't like how low the cap is.

If we could field 300-500k/year players in all positions, and afford to have some quality on the bench in a similar to slightly lower price point to give depth and create some actual competition for places in the team - this quality of play would me much higher.

Whoop
12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Real Madrid, Real Mallorca, Real Zaragoza, Real Sporting de Gijón, Reial CD Espanyol de Barcelona in Spain

Real Potosí from Bolivia

Not to mention Royal Club Anderlecht and Royal Antwerp in Belgium, which play with the monarchy theme.

So why not go Royal Salt Lake?

What is the Hispanic population in Utah? 0.5%?

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
So why not go Royal Salt Lake?

What is the Hispanic population in Utah? 0.5%?

They wanted to ride off the back of Real Madrid.

Nothing more, nothing less. They saw Madrid and added the first part to their own team.

tfcleeds
12-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I cringed when Anaheim actually named their new NHL franchise the "Mighty Ducks" (thankfully changed to Ducks since). I think Real Salt Lake tops that for the worst pro team name (not counting other ridiculous names that don't make sense given their context like the Utah Jazz, or the LA Lakers, haha)

gracos
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM
you know its a slow off-season when we are questioning the name of RSL, lol, but i understand where everyone is coming from, and i am confused of why they are named Real Salt Lake

Detroit_TFC
12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
you know its a slow off-season when we are questioning the name of RSL, lol, but i understand where everyone is coming from, and i am confused of why they are named Real Salt Lake

Word but that won't stop me from prolonging the discussion. :)

RSL would be marginally acceptable if they had the relationship with RM from the start. But they developed that later, so it was just a poseur move in 2004.

Juanito
12-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Real Potosí from Bolivia

Spain IS A KINGDOM. There is a king, his name is Juan Carlos I of Spain.

Real whatever makes prefect sense.

Belgium has a monarchy ..... again .... makes sense. Their king is Albert II of Belgium.

I find it interesting that North Americans can't fathom the idea that England (and the commonwealth) is not the only country that has a constitutional monarchy!

The other countries, well, at one point in time they were part of Spain and they may have been formed by Spaniards.

REAL SALT LAKE?! Didn't anyone use Babel fish to look up the meaning of REAL and realize what it meant?! Royal anything kind of goes against Americana, you know, the Americans threw the Tetley out of Boston Harbour because they disliked "the tyrant" King George III of England.

Juanito
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM

Like I said before, I like to bitch. I feel alive! ;)

Roogsy
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Real Potosí from Bolivia

Other than Madrid, the Latin American examples you are quoting are a) very few in number to indicate a wide use within the football world b) examples that have direct connections to Spain and the monarchy, neither of which Salt Lake have.

As for the Anderlecht and Antwerp, you do realize that Belgium has a monarchy as well right?

So how does this support Salt Lake Utah having any reference to a monarchy whatsoever, let alone in Spanish?

Greatest Ripoff
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM

There is a salary cap in League 1 and 2 in england. But it is not based on a ceiling but rather a percentage of the clubs turnover. So instead of trying to creating parity it is used to keep clubs out of debt.

Roogsy
12-20-2011, 01:43 PM
The other countries, well, at one point in time they were part of Spain and they may have been formed by Spaniards.

Correct sir.

For example, Potosi Bolivia was established by the Spaniards as a mining town and exported it's riches to the monarchy in Spain for many years. Much like Canada, despite being an independant country now for over 100 years, still has the Queen as the Head of State and has her on our money, Latin countries still refer to their Spanish ancestry in many aspects.

We see the "royal" references in Canada all the time. We are all aware of it. In clubs, assocations, and even in our own army. Similarly, they do that in Latin countries as well.

If you really want to make a case for it, it would make more sense for Toronto to have a football club called "Royal Toronto FC" than it does to have Salt Lake have a "Real" club unless I have missed somewhere in the history books Spain ever establishing, conquering or even sneezing in the direction of Salt Lake City.

Given all this background, any connection the team in Salt Lake tries to make to "Real Madrid" is akin to the Pee Wee teams in Toronto naming themselves after the NHL teams such as the Black Hawks or Rangers. Giving weight to the argument that it is indeed "Mickey Mouse".

Juanito
12-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe they are referencing the Mormons and "The Kingdom of God" .... ;)

Whoop
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
I cringed when Anaheim actually named their new NHL franchise the "Mighty Ducks" (thankfully changed to Ducks since). I think Real Salt Lake tops that for the worst pro team name (not counting other ridiculous names that don't make sense given their context like the Utah Jazz, or the LA Lakers, haha)

LOL... but both those teams moved which makes it less funny if you know the circumstance, but nonetheless it is funny.

Roogsy
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
LOL... but both those teams moved which makes it less funny if you know the circumstance, but nonetheless it is funny.

Sometimes time itself validates team names.

After all, if they didn't already exist, who would name their team the "Maple Leafs"?

The Toronto Pine Cones....doesn't quite inspire pride and awe does it?

ag futbol
12-20-2011, 02:00 PM
^ Germany also has strict financial rules that amount to a different form of spending limits.

MLS structure is ok, but it has some definite drawbacks and other things that do not make a lot of sense.

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Yes, I understand that they have monarchies.

What I'm saying is that RSL isn't thinking on the same path as you and I do.

They simply see a format for a team's name in the likes of Real Madrid, much like DC United saw a team name format in Manchester United, and Toronto FC saw with FC teams. The clubs here have an image to build, whereas Europe's clubs already have the historical relevance connected with their names.

RSL may sound stupid, sure, and they have literally no connection to royalty, but they weren't going for it in the first place. It's just the theme of the club in question, just like our theme is Liverpoolian (or English Championship, whichever) in nature.

It's just a name. There crest has their little crown, whatever. That's the theme their club is going with. Sure, it's unwarranted, maybe even a bit hypocritical based on their location, but who cares - the Ducks aren't actually ducks, the Charlotte Bobcats aren't run by wild cats, Milwaukee Bucks? Just a name - doesn't mean the players originated from deers.

It's just the theme of the club.

They're not the only one doing this - the Sacramento Kings, for example, have literally no monarchial connection to the States, yet there they are :D

DavydMT
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Ask what supporters of SV Austria Salzburg think about the subject of club names

http://www.sglconcept.com/images/logos/logo-redbullsalzburg.png

Overall a very poor article that fails to present and compare all the pros and cons of mls and different systems around the world.

Roogsy
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Yes, I understand that they have monarchies.

What I'm saying is that RSL isn't thinking on the same path as you and I do.

They simply see a format for a team's name in the likes of Real Madrid, much like DC United saw a team name format in Manchester United, and Toronto FC saw with FC teams. The clubs here have an image to build, whereas Europe's clubs already have the historical relevance connected with their names.

RSL may sound stupid, sure, and they have literally no connection to royalty, but they weren't going for it in the first place. It's just the theme of the club in question, just like our theme is Liverpoolian (or English Championship, whichever) in nature.

It's just a name. There crest has their little crown, whatever. That's the theme their club is going with. Sure, it's unwarranted, maybe even a bit hypocritical based on their location, but who cares - the Ducks aren't actually ducks, the Charlotte Bobcats aren't run by wild cats, Milwaukee Bucks? Just a name - doesn't mean the players originated from deers.

It's just the theme of the club.

They're not the only one doing this - the Sacramento Kings, for example, have literally no monarchial connection to the States, yet there they are :D

Too much back and forth. There is a significant difference between selecting a mascot and choosing a name that traditionally defines your background and providence. It is what it is. I think it's stupid. You really have to stretch the argument for it not to look completely out of place.

If RSL is not mickey mouse, then you'd have to wonder what would be.

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Too much back and forth. There is a significant difference between selecting a mascot and choosing a name that traditionally defines your background and providence. It is what it is. I think it's stupid. You really have to stretch the argument for it not to look completely out of place.

If RSL is not mickey mouse, then you'd have to wonder what would be.

Precisely! RSL is Mickey Mouse. I don't deny this :D

However, my position is that RSL went Mickey Mouse for a reason, that it was deliberate, at the time of the birth of this club, it was in tune with the teams of the time, and now that the league has some credibility (Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Montreal, etc), RSL sounds incredibly out of place :D

The league is divided into two parts:

There are the American model teams, using NHL/NFL-like names:

Chicago Fire, San Jose Earthquakes, LA Galaxy, Houston Dynamo, Seattle Sounders, etc. etc.

There are the traditional European/Latin American teams:

Toronto FC, FC Dallas, Chivas USA, Sporting Kansas City, etc. etc.

RSL is the extremist name of the latter. The "Real" is simply the attempt to sound European-y, and soccer-y. Nothing more ;)

Fort York Redcoat
12-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Sorry to ignore the Real talk. Not really a discussion for me. It (the name) is ridiculous and irrelevant. The end.

if it wasn't for parity, TFC would have even fewer fans than it has now. ha ha ha.
And even though the league has this thing called parity, TFC has had the worst 5 years of any team that's been in the league since 2007... so it's not like every team is at the .500 mark, to use a baseball term. Even in MLS's parity outcome, we still have teams that suck and teams that rock. It's just a tighter range.

People always complain about the parity of MLS, but when you look at it, there are teams that defy it. TFC in the wrong way... LA in the right way. Why is that?

There's many, many fans that don't watch the world game and watch MLS for the sport or a hot ticket. Those people and many more that haven't watched the game yet need parity. I don't need it and think although we as a league needed it and need it still. I can't wait till the game grows past it here.

Roogsy
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM

However, my position is that RSL went Mickey Mouse for a reason, that it was deliberate, at the time of the birth of this club, it was in tune with the teams of the time, and now that the league has some credibility (Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Montreal, etc), RSL sounds incredibly out of place :D

Chicago Fire, San Jose Earthquakes, LA Galaxy, Houston Dynamo, Seattle Sounders, etc. etc.

RSL is the extremist name of the latter. The "Real" is simply the attempt to sound European-y, and soccer-y. Nothing more ;)

Going mickey mouse intentionally? I can agree they were trying to sound "european-y", that much is obvious. In fact, it's the ONLY explanation for why they chose the name they did. But not only to fail to consider how amateurish the name makes them look but to do it intentionally? That would just blow my mind.

And I would disagree that it would sound out of place "now" as opposed to always having been out of place.

Canary10
12-20-2011, 02:35 PM
My two cents: worst name ever, regardless of the rationale for it.

DavydMT
12-20-2011, 02:35 PM

I don't really care about the "name", ultimately for me the name of the club is the name of the city the club is from.

As for the names that you suggested are "American model teams names", i would only put galaxy in that list and even name galaxy can be explained because all the starts (movie etc...) are in

Chicago Fire --> Arsenal or Tottenham Hotspur
San Jose Earthquakes (they have earth quakes in the bay area) --> Shakhtar (coal miners) Donetsk (they mine coal in Donetsk area)
Houston Dynamo --> Europe: Dynamo Kyiv
Seattle Sounders (sound made by waives) --> Chornomorets (chorno - black; more - sea) Odessa

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Going mickey mouse intentionally? I can agree they were trying to sound "european-y", that much is obvious. In fact, it's the ONLY explanation for why they chose the name they did. But not only to fail to consider how amateurish the name makes them look but to do it intentionally? That would just blow my mind.

And I would disagree that it would sound out of place "now" as opposed to always having been out of place.

Mickey Mouse in a soccer sense. Really, all of our sports teams sound gimmicky when comparing to the likes of Europe. Could you imagine if Manchester City was the Manchester City Wizards?

Real Salt Lake played on the notion that they could dress up their logo and theme their club around the likes of Kings and Queens, and sound like a good ol' fashioned European club at the same time.

They strayed too far to both extremes, whereas other clubs found a middle ground - The Chicago Fire took from the great Chicago fire, and has relevancy, yet still sounds like a North American name - their badge, a spin on a firefighter badge, has both significance culturally and gives the team a theme.

Unfortunately, RSL has failed on this front.

pekduck
12-20-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't really care about the "name", ultimately for me the name of the club is the name of the city the club is from.

As for the names that you suggested are "American model teams names", i would only put galaxy in that list

Chicago Fire --> Arsenal or Tottenham Hotspur
San Jose Earthquakes (they have earth quakes in the bay area) --> Shakhtar (coal miners) Donetsk (they mine coal in Donetsk area)
Houston Dynamo --> Europe: Dynamo Kyiv
Seattle Sounders (sound made by waives) --> Chornomorets (chorno - black; more - sea) Odessa

Actually, Seattle is situated near Puget Sound (the water outlet to Pacific ocean), hence the Sounders. :D

DavydMT
12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
My two cents: worst name ever, regardless of the rationale for it.

Chivas USA is just as bad.

DavydMT
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Actually, Seattle is situated near Puget Sound (the water outlet to Pacific ocean), hence the Sounders. :D

thank you Kev, mixed up the west cost teams, was thinking about whitecaps. that makes my Chornomorets link even better.

Canary10
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Also, the fact that Wil Johnson plays for a team with such a foolish name as Real Salt Lake makes him a fool. He'd be best to submit his transfer request to TFC.

Huyton
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd've preferred Salt Lake Rovers.

Canary10
12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
^Nice.

In the absence of anything at all interesting going on with TFC at the moment, which as someone pointed out is the reason we have this thread, a fun game would be to find alternative really bad soccer based names for Real Salt Lake....

Canary10
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Salt Lake Cottagers?

Juanito
12-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Salt Lake Polygamists

The crest would be fun to do ....

Red Rat
12-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I just wonder how many americans swallowed this up! and now believe that they are the cream of the crop

Red Rat
12-20-2011, 03:14 PM
also did anyone noticed that this article was written on April 1st, 2011

Fort York Redcoat
12-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I just wonder how many americans swallowed this up! and now believe that they are the cream of the crop

Well, I don't think the article is a joke. Nor do I think the league is a joke. It's truly a competitive league and that appeals to many here in NA. I want them to be inclined to give the beautiful game a try. It's just unfortunate to me that's how we have to get the majority of bums in seats.

To me parity is the enemy of great tournament opportunities like the World Club Championship that just happened.

tfcleeds
12-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Salt Lake Wanderers would even be somewhat appropriate - considering the Mormons "wandered" westward to Utah during their migration.

KGH
12-20-2011, 04:06 PM

If that was the case then the author had a crystal ball being able to predict where Pujols would end up.

ag futbol
12-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, I don't think the article is a joke. Nor do I think the league is a joke. It's truly a competitive league and that appeals to many here in NA. I want them to be inclined to give the beautiful game a try. It's just unfortunate to me that's how we have to get the majority of bums in seats.

To me parity is the enemy of great tournament opportunities like the World Club Championship that just happened.
You have to strike a balance. Too much equality can have negative affects. It potentially over-allocates resources to poorly performing teams and can create disincentive for performance.

On the opposite end of the scale, we all know how a league with no measures to promote collectivism suffers. Watching the same 2-4 teams compete year after year for the top prize while everyone else has the odds scaled against them isn't as appealing as some make it sound.

ensco
12-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Forget RSL. It's nothing compared to NCAA soccer.

http://www.goslugs.com/teams/soccer/men/msoc.html

These guys are occasionally pretty good, they were in the NCAA finals a few years back (ESPN had a field day with that)

Fort York Redcoat
12-20-2011, 04:24 PM
You have to strike a balance. Too much equality can have negative affects. It potentially over-allocates resources to poorly performing teams and can create disincentive for performance.

On the opposite end of the scale, we all know how a league with no measures to promote collectivism suffers. Watching the same 2-4 teams compete year after year for the top prize while everyone else has the odds scaled against them isn't as appealing as some make it sound.

Fantastic. Although I prefer the latter I understand and support the gradual removal of regular devices of parity in our league.

Oldtimer
12-20-2011, 04:52 PM

It was written Dec 19, 2011.

Whoop
12-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Forget RSL. It's nothing compared to NCAA soccer.

http://www.goslugs.com/teams/soccer/men/msoc.html

These guys are occasionally pretty good, they were in the NCAA finals a few years back (ESPN had a field day with that)

Pulp Fiction..!

http://images5.cpcache.com/product_zoom/381968515v0_460x460_Front_Color-AshGrey_padToSquare-true.jpg

Rocket Robin
12-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Spain IS A KINGDOM. There is a king, his name is Juan Carlos I of Spain.

REAL SALT LAKE?! Didn't anyone use Babel fish to look up the meaning of REAL and realize what it meant?! Royal anything kind of goes against Americana, you know, the Americans threw the Tetley out of Boston Harbour because they disliked "the tyrant" King George III of England.

American no monarchy....

So therefore must change name of NHL team Los Angeles KINGS
and NBA team Sacramento KINGS and baseball team Kansas City ROYALS immediately? :)

Whoop
12-20-2011, 07:50 PM
If you do a quick search, the Kansas City Royals were named after the American Royal livestock show in KC. However the American Royal was named after the Royal Show in England.

Sacramento Kings started off as the Rochester Royals, then were the Cincinnati Royals and then moved to Kansas City. But KC already had the Kansas City Royals so they changed the name to Kansas City Kings. And then they moved to Sacramento. The team was named Royals based on a name the team contest.

Jack Kent Cooke called the Los Angeles hockey team the Kings because he wanted to use the same colour scheme of the basketball team he owned the Lakers and he associated gold and purple with Kings.

ArmenJBX
12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Oh come now, if we're stretching this far for the justification behind those names, why can't the same be said of RSL?

If Jack Kent Cooke wanted to match colours, isn't it fair enough to say that the guys behind RSL just wanted to match Real Madrid?

Whoop
12-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Oh come now, if we're stretching this far for the justification behind those names, why can't the same be said of RSL?

If Jack Kent Cooke wanted to match colours, isn't it fair enough to say that the guys behind RSL just wanted to match Real Madrid?

Yeah, but he was matching to the colours to a team he owned already.

jloome
12-21-2011, 02:20 AM

Astute.

Toronto_Bhoy
12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
This guy has used a thesaurus and swapped out the old North American sports favourite "parity" with "competitive balance" which to me means average or worse…mediocre.

I get the whole Big 4 win everything and I'm not crazy about it either but like other North American sports there's no accountability for being mediocre, in fact your rewarded. In the NFL, you still get your massive TV money whether your Green Bay or Kansas City. The Leafs are shite for almost 50 years and are still one of the top money earners and valued franchises.

I'm gonna use the "R" word which was conveniently left out of the Post article…Relegation. I know it wouldn't work here because of the sport's culture but that is a measure of accountability…you can't take the chance of being average if you have relegation.

I am not a fan of competitive balance, it doesn't breed greatness, it breeds "we only need to better than the guy in front of us"…IMO anyway.

Roogsy
12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
This guy has used a thesaurus and swapped out the old North American sports favourite "parity" with "competitive balance" which to me means average or worse…mediocre.

I get the whole Big 4 win everything and I'm not crazy about it either but like other North American sports there's no accountability for being mediocre, in fact your rewarded. In the NFL, you still get your massive TV money whether your Green Bay or Kansas City. The Leafs are shite for almost 50 years and are still one of the top money earners and valued franchises.

I'm gonna use the "R" word which was conveniently left out of the Post article…Relegation. I know it wouldn't work here because of the sport's culture but that is a measure of accountability…you can't take the chance of being average if you have relegation.

I am not a fan of competitive balance, it doesn't breed greatness, it breeds "we only need to better than the guy in front of us"…IMO anyway.

This...

Juanito
12-21-2011, 02:42 PM

DUDE, I love you! You're speaking to me!

Juanito
12-21-2011, 02:45 PM
American no monarchy....

So therefore must change name of NHL team Los Angeles KINGS
and NBA team Sacramento KINGS and baseball team Kansas City ROYALS immediately? :)

I know people don't get why this bothers me.

Those teams have a nickname of monarchy. It's obvious that Salt Lake has confused that as well.

What if instead of Real Salt Lake, it was named an equivalent British name ....

Her Majesty's Royal Salt Lake. That would be the equivalent in the English language. It would be weird. Using "Real" implies you are acknowledging the royal family of Spain.

It's a pert-peeve of mine. That is all.

Super
12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
A few silly names and parity aside, I do think that this league feels like a proper league, and the games themselves are getting much, much better. Fan participation in the games are better too, and the overall quality and production value of the telecasts have improved a ton as well. At the end of the day we shouldn't focus on detail, but instead on the fact that our league is growing - and we will continue to grow for years to come. Who knows how far this league will go. To me that's the story. I'm definitely no fan of parity, and now being able to sign 3 DP's did change that a bit, but overall I have to say that this league is a lot more entertaining than most European leagues. I don't compare the MLS to the big leagues in Europe, but instead to the Scandinavian, and maybe even Dutch and Belgian, leagues. Verdict: we're doing more than fine! :)

Juanito
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I for one, think the league is heading in the right direction.

Adding a few good soccer markets like Montreal will be key for the growth of the game. I would love for them to reach 20 clubs and cap it at that. Also, they need to review the struggling markets, and decide whether or not they should continue.

What I would like to see is more coverage on television. It will get there, it will just take some time.

Roogsy
12-22-2011, 12:13 PM
I think so too Juanito.

Right now the single biggest obstacle to MLS completely tearing it up continues to the American apathy to soccer games. Unless it's World Cup or Champions League, they still are not tuning in. MLS has to find a way to change that. Corporate dollars would follow along with further investment in the teams and players that will continue to raise the quality of the game in NA.

Macksam
12-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry to ignore the Real talk. Not really a discussion for me. It (the name) is ridiculous and irrelevant. The end.

There's many, many fans that don't watch the world game and watch MLS for the sport or a hot ticket. Those people and many more that haven't watched the game yet need parity. I don't need it and think although we as a league needed it and need it still. I can't wait till the game grows past it here.
Parity is never ever going away Fort York and it does not need to. The main concern is raising the salary cap. Nobody here including you should have a problem with 24-32 teams that have salary caps around $40 million. Sure, it wouldn't be up there with the top clubs in Europe but it would make MLS the best league in the world.

LittleOzzy
12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
People get so hung up about the name of certain teams but the only reason they sound so odd right now is because the teams are young and have no history.

Give it 50 to 100 years like most European teams and no one is going to question the name Galaxy, Sounders or Real Salt Lake.

The league is growing and that's all that matters right now. I think this league has a very good chance at being one of the top leagues in the world if they continue down the correct path.

Fort York Redcoat
12-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Parity is never ever going away Fort York and it does not need to. The main concern is raising the salary cap. Nobody here including you should have a problem with 24-32 teams that have salary caps around $40 million. Sure, it wouldn't be up there with the top clubs in Europe but it would make MLS the best league in the world.

Salary cap raise makes the league on the whole more competitive worldwide but it doesn't make the league setup more attractive than the foreign setup for some. It's not a question of waiting for parity going away completely it's about appreciating working changes into the league that make it less NA without new punters asking "What's the significance of "_______".

Fort York Redcoat
12-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Right now the single biggest obstacle to MLS completely tearing it up continues to the American apathy to soccer games. Unless it's World Cup or Champions League, they still are not tuning in. MLS has to find a way to change that. Corporate dollars would follow along with further investment in the teams and players that will continue to raise the quality of the game in NA.

MLS. It's gonna tear this sports landscape up!:D

Here's hoping!

Oldtimer
12-23-2011, 08:48 AM

It would take massive TV revenues to have a cap like that, but that's not impossible over time. Once MLS gets to a critical quality level, the "Euro snobs" will jump on the band-wagon, and that will bring the ratings way up.

Once MLS gets ratings equivalent to the NBA, a cap of that level is realistic. It's happened with other leagues in other countries. The Bundesliga, for example started out as a budget league with tight salary restrictions and roster rules. Over time, the necessity of that disappeared and in the 1970's it loosened many of the rules and became what it is today. We are starting to the that loosening happening in MLS (DP rules and Academy Home Grown players), and TV revenues have gone up from negative (the league paying to have games on TV) to still relatively small, but decent revenues being paid by the networks to air the games.

[NBF]
12-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Merry Christmas everyone:canada:

Bizzaro Team Names:

1. Real Salt Lake
2. Houston Dynamo
3. Sporting Kansas City
4. DC United

Odd Team Names:

5. Toronto Football Club
6. Football Club Dallas
7. Vancouver Whitecaps Football Club

Cookie Cutter Team Names:

8. Columbus Crew
9. Montreal Impact
10. Seattle Sounders
11. Los Angeles Galaxy

Team Names That Have Cultural Value To Do With The Home City:

12. Colorado Rapids
13. New England Revolution
14. Portland Timbers
15. San Jose Earthquakes
16. Chicago Fire
17. Philadelphia Union

The More Creative Team Names in MLS:

18. New York Red Bulls
19. Chivas USA

Whoop
12-25-2011, 09:23 PM
;1421516']Merry Christmas everyone:canada:

Bizzaro Team Names:

1. Real Salt Lake
2. Houston Dynamo
3. Sporting Kansas City
4. DC United

Odd Team Names:

5. Toronto Football Club
6. Football Club Dallas

8. Columbus Crew
9. Montreal Impact
10. Seattle Sounders
11. Los Angeles Galaxy

12. Colorado Rapids
14. Portland Timbers
15. San Jose Earthquakes
16. Chicago Fire
17. Philadelphia Union

18. New York Red Bulls
19. Chivas USA

New York Red Bulls and Chivas USA creative? LOL

Fort York Redcoat
12-25-2011, 09:31 PM
;1421516']Merry Christmas everyone:canada:

Bizzaro Team Names:

1. Real Salt Lake
2. Houston Dynamo
3. Sporting Kansas City
4. DC United

Odd Team Names:

5. Toronto Football Club
6. Football Club Dallas

8. Columbus Crew
9. Montreal Impact
10. Seattle Sounders
11. Los Angeles Galaxy

12. Colorado Rapids
14. Portland Timbers
15. San Jose Earthquakes
16. Chicago Fire
17. Philadelphia Union

18. New York Red Bulls
19. Chivas USA

Isn't opinion fun?

Signed,

An odd team name supporter on an odd team name supporter's site.

nobodybeatsthewiz
12-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Sporting KC is another one ....

However, this one isn't nearly as bad.

I never call that team from Utah Real (as in Rey-al), I refer to them as Real (as in opposite of fake) or just simple Fake Salt Lake. I REFUSE to acknowledge that stupid name. JUANITO IS GETTING VERY UPSET!!

youre right, they're not nearly as royal as zaragoza, bud ;)

but how is sociedad royal/real? half the people up there hate the king's (royal) spain.

however, im with you, mimicking those names is fairly whimsical, to downright stupid.