PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Wednesday,Dec.07

denime
12-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

TFC Notebook: Borman turned down contract offer (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/06/tfc-notebook-borman-turned-down-contract-offer)

Vukovic Wins CSL Top Scorer (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/12/vukovic-wins-csl-top-scorer)

Stinson heralds TFC academy (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/12/06/rowaan_blog/)

Potential First Kick Teams Narrow (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/12/potential-first-kick-teams-narrow)

Canadian men learn qualifying path for 2012 Olympics (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2011/12/06/sp-soccer-concacaf-canada.html)

The Big Board: The best 2012 SuperDraft prospects (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/06/big-board-best-2012-superdraft-prospects)

Canadian Exports: Occean stays on scoring tear (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/06/canadian-exports-occean-stays-scoring-tear)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

London
12-07-2011, 06:43 AM
TFC a little late with the Vucovic story

ensco
12-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Has the CCL date in Toronto been confirmed anywhere as March 7? Asif states it as a fact...

mastermixer
12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
This quote from Mariner in the Borman article made me chuckle.

“We offered Danleigh a very good deal in the window and he turned it down, which was disappointing to us,” TFC director of player development Paul Mariner said Tuesday. “But he indicated what he wanted to do. Good luck to him. I hope he has a good time in Boston.

Me too. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oldtimer
12-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Yukovic looks like a good prospect for the first team. A good goal-scorer with DD as a mentoring coach. I feel very positive about him.

scooter
12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
mornin d

ArmenJBX
12-07-2011, 08:23 AM
RE: SuperDraft Article

Looks like Matt Hedges and Austin Berry are the two highest ranked CBs available. Perhaps Toronto FC will take one of them?

The Generation Adidas defenders are also candidates, especially since we have a really early pick - Andrew Wenger, Tyler Pozak and Taylor Kemp are all defensive options

Oldtimer
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Casey Townsend (F) might be a good pick-up, as well, but he probably won't last until TFC's pick.

Waggy
12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Has the CCL date in Toronto been confirmed anywhere as March 7? Asif states it as a fact...

Ya, the games are on the 7th and 14th. It got set last week I think

ArmenJBX
12-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Casey Townsend (F) might be a good pick-up, as well, but he probably won't last until TFC's pick.

Montreal will most likely draft a forward - Toronto's best bet is to draft a complete player or trade the pick for an established MLS centerback!

ensco
12-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Ya, the games are on the 7th and 14th. It got set last week I think

Thanks. I missed it.

Canary10
12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Montreal will most likely draft a forward - Toronto's best bet is to draft a complete player or trade the pick for an established MLS centerback!

Oops, meant to quote this comment: "Looks like Matt Hedges and Austin Berry are the two highest ranked CBs available. Perhaps Toronto FC will take one of them?

The Generation Adidas defenders are also candidates, especially since we have a really early pick - Andrew Wenger, Tyler Pozak and Taylor Kemp are all defensive options

Problem is most of the top possibilities appear to be forwards or offensive minded midfielders (other than Wenger who is projected to go first or second and probably won't be availabe to us). I don't think we'll get a starting CB in the draft anyway. If the best options are forwards or offensive midfielders, I think we're best to draft one of those with the early pick. We need a backup to Koevs, and he could have more time to develop in that role instead of throwing a college guy into a starting CB position. Then pick a CB with the 12th pick. It looks like there will still be good ones availabe at that point. But again, they're likely to be depth for at least a few years, and what we need are starters.

ManUtd4ever
12-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Tyler Pozak. Sounds familiar, LOL.

Globetrotter
12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
^I agree. We can't have a Tyler Pozak and Tyler Bozak in this city.

Yohan
12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Oops, meant to quote this comment: "Looks like Matt Hedges and Austin Berry are the two highest ranked CBs available. Perhaps Toronto FC will take one of them?

Problem is most of the top possibilities appear to be forwards or offensive minded midfielders (other than Wenger who is projected to go first or second and probably won't be availabe to us). I don't think we'll get a starting CB in the draft anyway. If the best options are forwards or offensive midfielders, I think we're best to draft one of those with the early pick. We need a backup to Koevs, and he could have more time to develop in that role instead of throwing a college guy into a starting CB position. Then pick a CB with the 12th pick. It looks like there will still be good ones availabe at that point. But again, they're likely to be depth for at least a few years, and what we need are starters.

Assuming Vukovic signs, TFC will have enough depth at CF (Koevermans, Johnson, Vukovic, Makubuya)

Biggest need become CB and CAM. Sign best player left at CAM or CB for 4th pick.

KGH
12-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Assuming Vukovic signs, TFC will have enough depth at CF (Koevermans, Johnson, Vukovic, Makubuya)

Biggest need become CB and CAM. Sign best player left at CAM or CB for 4th pick.

Agreed. And trade the 12th pick for allocation and an international spot

C.Ronaldo
12-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I dont know CSL much, but is 18 goals a major accomplishment?

I guess as a teen it is, but it also could mean he needs better competition

Canary10
12-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Maybe a guy like this:

Brian "Cobi" SpanM/FVirginia

2011 Stats: 21 games, 7 goals, 5 assists
When you talk about players with upside, there may be no player with more than Span, a physical freak who combines good size with blazing speed. He has been compared in some circles to a young Brek Shea. While there are many scouts in love with his upside, the Cavaliers sophomore also has detractors who believe he should stay in school and mature more.

arsenal
12-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe a guy like this:

Brian "Cobi" SpanM/FVirginia

2011 Stats: 21 games, 7 goals, 5 assists
When you talk about players with upside, there may be no player with more than Span, a physical freak who combines good size with blazing speed. He has been compared in some circles to a young Brek Shea. While there are many scouts in love with his upside, the Cavaliers sophomore also has detractors who believe he should stay in school and mature more.

This is exactly the kind of guy we should be going after in the draft. By picking up young GA players with upside, you can let guys sit and develop while not counting against the cap. The problem we have had in the past is having to play our GA players too much too early (Edu, Frei, etc) and thereby graduating from GA too soon or needing to grab players in the draft to plug holes right away (James, Phelan).

Fort York Redcoat
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
This is exactly the kind of guy we should be going after in the draft. By picking up young GA players with upside, you can let guys sit and develop while not counting against the cap. The problem we have had in the past is having to play our GA players too much too early (Edu, Frei, etc) and thereby graduating from GA too soon or needing to grab players in the draft to plug holes right away (James, Phelan).

Smart. GA, cap space. Management should be making aquisitions above and beyond a draft pick. Draft picks are hopefuls not intended to be bandaids on the starting 11.

Whoop
12-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Smart. GA, cap space. Management should be making aquisitions above and beyond a draft pick. Draft picks are hopefuls not intended to be bandaids on the starting 11.

Makes more sense.

The odds of you getting an established CB for a first round pick are pretty slim especially considering that everyone in the league holds onto their defenders pretty carefully.

When was the last time a top 5 pick was traded for an established CB? Looked at it, TFC traded their 5th overall pick AND allocation money for Adrian Serioux.

8th pick (Toronto FC) traded for Nathan Sturgis
11th pick (Seattle) traded for allocation money
14th pick (RSL) traded for $75,000 in allocation money

5th pick (Toronto) PLUS allocation money for D Adrian Serioux
6th pick (FC Dallas) traded for allocation money
7th pick (DC United) traded for allocation spot to be used on GK Troy Perkins
8th pick (Colorado) traded for F Pat Noonan

2nd pick (San Jose) traded and allocation money for Ronnie O'Brien
7th pick (Colorado) traded for DP slot

1st pick (San Jose) traded for D Nick Garcia
2nd pick (Toronto FC) plus allocation traded for Richard Mulrooney

Anyway, if you go through recent draft history and trades if you want to get a quality player you need to trade the pick + something else for an established player.

Canary10
12-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Gawd, we traded a first round pick for Nick Garcia?!!

Whoop
12-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Gawd, we traded a first round pick for Nick Garcia?!!

LOL... no, no.

Someone else did. San Jose.

Those are examples from other teams.

Though TFC has a propensity of trading their first round picks.

ManUtd4ever
12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree with the notion that TFC should keep their first round pick. Mariner is definitely savvy enough to draft a high quality player in the top 5.

Perhaps TFC can consider dealing NY's 1st round pick (acquired in the DeRo trade) in order to acquire immediate help at CB or AM.

Canary10
12-07-2011, 11:35 AM
LOL... no, no.

Someone else did. San Jose.

Those are examples from other teams.

Though TFC has a propensity of trading their first round picks.

Oh thank god. And I'm not religious.

Canary10
12-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Observers - whoever they are - are saying there are one or two CBs who could likely slot into an MLS lineup right away. Austin Berry and Matt Hedges. It's unlikely at that age they'll be an organizer of the defence though, no matter how good they are.

I'm worried about the lack of noise on this front. We're almost a month out of training. I hope that it means whoever they're after will be coming via the January transfer window (which would mean they are currently on a European contract). With the lack of cap space, I really wonder what realistic options we have.

denime
12-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Yukovic looks like a good prospect for the first team. A good goal-scorer with DD as a mentoring coach. I feel very positive about him.

He has a great mentor at home too,his father Sasa V. was former player at Yugoslavian 1st division,and believe me that old f*ck still can play the game(played against him and with him so many times)

In summer 2010 he took Stefan to Partizan Belgrade for tryouts and after few months there he did not made a cut,and he was back with White Eagles.

I think they should sign him before another opportunity from "back home" pops out.

Yohan
12-07-2011, 12:52 PM
that twat Charlie Davies linked to Everton

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2011/12/07/charlie-davies-keen-on-everton-fc-s-american-link-100252-29908780/

polak9pete
12-07-2011, 03:20 PM
It's actually Tyler Polak not Pozak hahah

and I read on Soccer by Ives that Brian Span might be headed to Europe for trials so if true might not be a good idea to take a pick on him. Matt Hedges, Austin Berry or Hunter Jumper would be our best bets to draft with the 4th pick then I'd take the best player available with the 2nd pick regardless of position or obviously trade it if the chance comes up.

Yohan
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/30/2011-review-toronto-fc

year in review from MLS site, with a 2011 goal compilation vid

J .
12-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Take the best player in the draft