PDA

View Full Version : Shalrie Joseph is MLS's newest DP

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/03/no-place-home-joseph-re-ups-new-england

This highlights a couple of important facts, a couple that I have stated in the past.

1) The MLS has no problem giving DP contracts to current MLS players. The belief that the MLS obstructs DP contracts to players already in the league is a falsehood. Has been for some time.

2) Joseph continues to play at a high level. 33 years old is not old anymore with players playing well into their late 30s at a productive rate.

3) Joseph has been a quiet workhorse for NE for several years and many of us have been fans of his play for some time. I often wished for having him on TFC. Certainly would have been a better choice than JDG, no disrespect to Julian intended.

4) Good on NE for rewarding a player who has worked hard for the team and provided consistent performance despite the overall record of the team the past couple of years.

ginkster88
12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I tried to read your post but all I saw was

DeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDe roDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDero DeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDe roDeroDeroDero

ginkster88
12-05-2011, 11:46 AM
But in all seriousness, congratulations to Shalrie, and frankly I'm a bit surprised that he wasn't already a DP.

He's been the heart of NE's midfield for many years now.

London
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
he is a very talented player, if his off the pitch stuff is in the past then a good signing

Technorgasm
12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I tried to read your post but all I saw was

DeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDe roDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDero DeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDeroDe roDeroDeroDero

what he said. . but I think this newwest DP wil highlight soem issues and bring abotu soe discussion. . . dsicussion abotu football. . Tornoto Football.

and in the off season. . thats what we need.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Joseph was already making 500k last year. Revs only gave him DP label to save up cap space and allocation money

also, over the hill and slowed down a lot

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
he is a very talented player, if his off the pitch stuff is in the past then a good signing

Interesting that they chose to make him a DP despite that momentary lapse in judgement.

Sounds like a guy I'd like to hang out with though...I bet he would have loved to have come to the Ghostface Killa concert this weekend! LOL!

ginkster88
12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Joseph was already making 500k last year. Revs only gave him DP label to save up cap space and allocation money

Okay this is what I thought.

I was sure he was over $300K.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
what he said. . but I think this newwest DP wil highlight soem issues and bring abotu soe discussion. . . dsicussion abotu football. . Tornoto Football.

and in the off season. . thats what we need.

Techno...you ok? You havin' an aneurism? :lol:

leafsman
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
he was out of contract so not simillar to dero at tfc at all

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM

True, but this is a contract renewal. New England didn't have to pay the same salary if they thought Joseph was not worth keeping on.

ginkster88
12-05-2011, 11:53 AM
he was out of contract so not simillar to dero at tfc at all

Sigh.

Nobody is saying that.

I was poking fun at Roogsy.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 11:57 AM
True, but this is a contract renewal. New England didn't have to pay the same salary if they thought Joseph was not worth keeping on.
it's a bit of PR exercise after disaster that is Heaps hiring. keeping the face of franchise to appease what remains of Revs fanbase. I personally don't think Joseph is worth DP at slowing down 33 yr old

ginkster88
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
it's a bit of PR exercise after disaster that is Heaps hiring. keeping the face of franchise to appease what remains of Revs fanbase. I personally don't think Joseph is worth DP at slowing down 33 yr old

If that's all this is than I expect the fanbase to see right through it.

Waggy
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Good for Sharlie, but if I was Dero, if I don't get a DP contract this winter I'm making a hit list and going on a killing spree that'd make Stalin proud. If I'm picking one of the two, it's Dero. Ah well. Good for the league, now at least homegrown players have the hope of making it REALLY big here without having to go overseas. When the TFC Academy develops our first superstar, we're going to be damn grateful Sharlie broke down this barrier.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 12:09 PM
If that's all this is than I expect the fanbase to see right through it.
well, the Revs aren't picking up options on couple of guys like Rajko Lekic, Zerka and their 'DP' Milton Caraglio. If you thought TFC's revolving door policy was bad...

Canary10
12-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Not sure anything New England does at this point should be a model for any other team.

ginkster88
12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Not sure anything New England does at this point should be a model for any other team.

dingdingding

TOBOR !
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Where's his ambition ?

Wondering how many good years he has left and how much earning ability he thinks he has.

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Good for Sharlie, but if I was Dero, if I don't get a DP contract this winter I'm making a hit list and going on a killing spree that'd make Stalin proud. If I'm picking one of the two, it's Dero. Ah well. Good for the league, now at least homegrown players have the hope of making it REALLY big here without having to go overseas. When the TFC Academy develops our first superstar, we're going to be damn grateful Sharlie broke down this barrier.

This is an interesting development from the POV of DeRo. He's been after this for a while and just won the MVP of the league and now he's got a playmate that just earned what he has not. Eyes will be on NE to prevent "resentment 2.0"

prizby
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/03/no-place-home-joseph-re-ups-new-england

This highlights a couple of important facts, a couple that I have stated in the past.

1) The MLS has no problem giving DP contracts to current MLS players. The belief that the MLS obstructs DP contracts to players already in the league is a falsehood. Has been for some time.

2) Joseph continues to play at a high level. 33 years old is not old anymore with players playing well into their late 30s at a productive rate.

3) Joseph has been a quiet workhorse for NE for several years and many of us have been fans of his play for some time. I often wished for having him on TFC. Certainly would have been a better choice than JDG, no disrespect to Julian intended.

4) Good on NE for rewarding a player who has worked hard for the team and provided consistent performance despite the overall record of the team the past couple of years.

let me throw one in that you blatantly missed.

5) His salary last year was $500,000; all which counted against the salary cap. By changing that $500,000 salary into a "designated player" contract, New England is now saving themselves $165,000 against the cap. They aren't "rewarding" him as much as they are freeing up the cap room. I bet he has a minimal salary increase (no more than $25,000)

This is also the same reason why DC said they would make DeRo a DP; last year they hardly paid any of his salary; this year they are stuck with the full $493,000...They save $158,000 against the cap by making him a DP

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Absolutely. Poorly run outfit that is.

Still, this isn't about whether they're run properly but about the practices on a league-wide basis. Shalrie is a long-time MLS player who has put in his time and played in several MLS Cups. Despite not having achieved the ultimate goal, he is a relatively successful MLS player and this does set the benchmark for players of his type in the league.

It's easy to give Anelka or Drogba multi-million dollars if they come over, the real question has been the players that have been here all along.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
This is an interesting development from the POV of DeRo. He's been after this for a while and just won the MVP of the league and now he's got a playmate that just earned what he has not. Eyes will be on NE to prevent "resentment 2.0"
I think DeRo will get his DP label too, not because DC thinks he deserves it necessarily, but same reason as Joseph: save room on salary cap and allocation money

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Where's his ambition ?

Wondering how many good years he has left and how much earning ability he thinks he has.

he wanted to leave before but they wouldnt allow him, hes too old to leave now and is taking advantage of the offer. If i was in the same situation id be pissed but id take the money too

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
let me throw one in that you blatantly missed.

5) His salary last year was $500,000; all which counted against the salary cap. By changing that $500,000 salary into a "designated player" contract, New England is now saving themselves $165,000 against the cap. They aren't "rewarding" him as much as they are freeing up the cap room. I bet he has a minimal salary increase (no more than $25,000)

Having your contract renewed at DP levels is a reward in any situation. NE are under no obligations to re-sign him or pay him at the same or higher levels (details have not been released yet).

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I think DeRo will get his DP label too, not because DC thinks he deserves it necessarily, but same reason as Joseph: save room on salary cap and allocation money

I don't want to make this thread about DeRo as much as I'd like people to revisit their position the league's take on DPs, particularly home-grown ones.

Ajax TFC
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
This seems like the kind of signing a team with no direction, or the finances to bring in a real (as in a player from Euope of the callibre thats hard to get in mls) DP, would make

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 12:44 PM
A team like NE, that has so little to look forward to, at least they recognize the marketing nightmare that it would be to release their most consistent player. I don't know who the fans might consider their most popular player so I won't make that claim.

It is no secret that NE is cheap. If this is their one big move, I am sure we will be finishing ahead of them in the standings yet again.

Still, if NEW ENGLAND is willing to pay DP money here, the real question is what is the standard elsewhere?

Canary10
12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I agree with you on home-grown talent. They should be paid more. I don't know that the DP rule is the solution though. A revisit of the whole salary cap might be a better way to pay guys like him (and DeRo) what they brought to the league.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 12:49 PM
It's not like Kraft is paying over a million bucks for DP. Joseph's salary? chump change

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2011, 12:51 PM

But what does it say that they give it to Joseph before the League MVP? I won't be the only one leaguewide to ask this.

Fort York Redcoat
12-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Still, if NEW ENGLAND is willing to pay DP money here, the real question is what is the standard elsewhere?

I'm not sure if 2 DP upgrades for the sake of salary cap should be a testament of NE leading the way of properly rewarding players.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 12:58 PM
But what does it say that they give it to Joseph before the League MVP? I won't be the only one leaguewide to ask this.

I know DC wanted to get a contract done quickly (as did NY before they moved him) but it has seemed to work in his favour to wait this time. Good for him, he is playing it smarter this time and the league will wind up paying.

As for Joseph, I think people are still missing the point that this isn't just some salary cap management move. You could have freed up max room and saved money by not signing him to a new contract. The fact that they've signed him is because they've deemed him to be worthy of compensation at that level going forward.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure if 2 DP upgrades for the sake of salary cap should be a testament of NE leading the way of properly rewarding players.

Since contracts are negotiated with the team AND the league, it definitely points to the league's attitude towards this type of compensation. Otherwise, they would have nixed it like people were saying earlier this year.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I know DC wanted to get a contract done quickly (as did NY before they moved him) but it has seemed to work in his favour to wait this time. Good for him, he is playing it smarter this time and the league will wind up paying.

As for Joseph, I think people are still missing the point that this isn't just some salary cap management move. You could have freed up max room and saved money by not signing him to a new contract. The fact that they've signed him is because they've deemed him to be worthy of compensation at that level going forward.
how about the fact that NE FO is full of morons? going forward? how about going backward? lol

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 01:02 PM
And the league?

Yohan
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
And the league?
I think there is a shift in league thinking from start of the year to now to allow more liberalized use of DP spots. More like, hey, it's your money. use it however you want

Juanito
12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I think there are two benefits of a DP contract. One is the cap hit is smaller on the books. The second one, and I may be wrong, is that it is a guaranteed contract. A certain someone that everyone seems to loathe was asking for this, so this itself is a reward. If you're making $500k not guaranteed as opposed to $500k guaranteed, that would be a huge incentive to most footballers.

Either way, the myth that MLS players cannot get DP contacts has been disproven. I'll add that to the list of top brass lies.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I think there is a shift in league thinking from start of the year to now to allow more liberalized use of DP spots. More like, hey, it's your money. use it however you want

There is nothing to indicate that there has been a shift. I would suggest this attitude has not changed at all and has been there all along.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I think it's a more recent change of thinking from the league. They're not thinking of Joseph or DeRo, they're thinking ahead to what happens when Brek Shea and Tim Ream start getting their European offers.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 01:24 PM
That "change" happened years ago. Starting with but not exclusive to Donovan, who was a DP before there was a DP rule.

Like I said, there is nothing to indicate this outlook is a recent development.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
That's true.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 01:29 PM
That "change" happened years ago. Starting with but not exclusive to Donovan, who was a DP before there was a DP rule.

Like I said, there is nothing to indicate this outlook is a recent development.
Donovan was a special case. and he was making above DP money before DP rule came in place, unlike DeRo/Joseph, etc

I'd argue the liberal use of DP rule is more permissible after the league reformed the DP rule to allow 3 per team. Before, DP was a marketing tool to be used by the league. Now, not so much, due to more DP spots available.

decent article by Kyle McCarthy on Joseph DP signing and what it means for the league

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2011/12/05/2788828/monday-mls-breakdown-shalrie-josephs-new-deal-reflects-the

Stryker
12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
And to think he did it without any asinine check waving gestures. Amazing!

prizby
12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't want to make this thread about DeRo as much as I'd like people to revisit their position the league's take on DPs, particularly home-grown ones.

but this is the whole point...in a salary cap league, would you rather be paying someone $500,000 against the cap (17.85% of available cap room) or $335,000 against the cap (just below 12% of available cap room)...how many 30 something year olds who are making below $335,000 are getting DP status...NONE.

IF you are paying someone $500,000/year than that ALREADY is DP money; just doesn't have the "dp status"

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 01:38 PM
but this is the whole point...in a salary cap league, would you rather be paying someone $500,000 against the cap (17.85% of available cap room) or $335,000 against the cap (just below 12% of available cap room)...how many 30 something year olds who are making below $335,000 are getting DP status...NONE.

IF you are paying someone $500,000/year than that ALREADY is DP money; just doesn't have the "dp status"

For all intents and purposes NE weren't obliged to pay him anything. You keep overlooking that point.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 01:41 PM
That was a good article. If I understand this correctly, essentially, the situation in NE is that they would have two players (Joseph and Feilhaber) above the max league salary of $335 in 2012. Any salary above that amount has to be paid with allocation money. So NE would be using basically all its allocation money to pay for Joseph and Feilhaber and be screwed trying to sign anyone else. That's why the league relented in this situation.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
For all intents and purposes NE weren't obliged to pay him anything. You keep overlooking that point.

Yeah but then they would have gotten nothing at all for him. They had to sign him to something, or lose him for nothing.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 01:46 PM
That was a good article. If I understand this correctly, essentially, the situation in NE is that they would have two players (Joseph and Feilhaber) above the max league salary of $335 in 2012. Any salary above that amount has to be paid with allocation money. So NE would be using basically all its allocation money to pay for Joseph and Feilhaber and be screwed trying to sign anyone else. That's why the league relented in this situation.

Using allocation money is always necessary when paying above the CBA max. So any team with players over this figure would be doing this. It isn't irregular and it's done on many teams including Toronto. This is not a one-off situation, it is in fact a common occurrence and a practice league-wide. Being a "practice" therefore does not require the league to relent.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 01:48 PM
^Yeah, I get that. If that article is right though, NE is the only team with two.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah but then they would have gotten nothing at all for him. They had to sign him to something, or lose him for nothing.

Obviously if they want to sign the player, they could sign him anywhere between the league minimum (somewhere around $40k) and any number short of inifinity.

The point is that since this is a new contract, it could be for any figure. The fact that it is a DP contract for what we would assume is somewhere near the figure he was making last year simply means that they continue to value him at that level.

The fallacy here is that the only choices were DP or lose him for nothing. That is simply not true.

prizby
12-05-2011, 01:52 PM

so the intent is to completely ignore the fact that he was getting dp money already...

is that what happens anytime some disbutes your opinion; just ignore it

Canary10
12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
"The fallacy here is that the only choices were DP or lose him for nothing. That is simply not true."

Your premise is that this opens up DP status to players like DeRo. The article suggests the league only agreed to it because NE was in a unique circumstance that isn't true with DC or anyone else (the fact that they had two players above the league max, with one of those contracts coming to an end imminently).

Beach_Red
12-05-2011, 01:55 PM

Ha ha. But seriously, NE play in maybe the most competetive sports market in North America - successful teams in every pro league and lots of NCAA. How far down the pecking order is MLS?

It's not like Toronto where soccer had (maybe still has) a chance to be the #2 sport.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
so the intent is to completely ignore the fact that he was getting dp money already...

is that what happens anytime some disbutes your opinion; just ignore it

No, I did not ignore it. I added to your point by following up with facts as they relate to your point. He "got" (past tense) DP money despite not being classified as such. That contract ended. Going forward, taking all facts into consideration (personal and team production, age, position, availability etc) there are no guarantees that he was going to make equal, more or less money or that NE was going to offer him a contract at all, DP or not. The only certainty was that he was out of a contract. All new contracts are a new beginning and while previous contracts are a starting point, they are not a floor or a ceiling with regards to the details of the new contract.

It also does not exclude the fact that NER could have simply kept the same arrangement as last year as well.

Chevy
12-05-2011, 02:03 PM

+1. It will be a simple cap-saving excercise by DC if DeRo gets the DP tag.

For some reason DeRo equates "DP" with a salary of $1m++ (understandably due to Mista, JDG). My guess is that he throws (another) fit when he gets a DP offer of 550k or something in that range. Stay tuned folks!

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:07 PM
"The fallacy here is that the only choices were DP or lose him for nothing. That is simply not true."

Your premise is that this opens up DP status to players like DeRo. The article suggests the league only agreed to it because NE was in a unique circumstance that isn't true with DC or anyone else (the fact that they had two players above the league max, with one of those contracts coming to an end imminently).

Not exactly true. Your position is that MLS "relented" beacuse of the unique situation NER was in when the article makes no such statement. As to why NER chose to go this route, that is the way they as a team decided to manage their roster and their cap situation. And it makes sense, nobody is denying that. But there is no suggestion in the article that this was an MLS requirement, suggestion or that they needed to provide some sort of exception to a previously held policy.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 02:10 PM
No, it hints that's the reason but doesn't say it outright. DeRo will likely be the real test case.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Frankly, I think it's stupid. If a team values a player to an extent that they want to offer them DP status, I don't know why the league gets involved in that at all.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:17 PM
No, it hints that's the reason but doesn't say it outright.

I don't mean to be pushy on this one but this point does confuse me. I've read the article a couple of times but don't find where this is hinted. Could you point me to it?

The way I read the article it seems to indicate the team wanted Joseph back. They left it in the hands of their GM who they trusted to do what was necessary, including giving a DP spot which is what it took. They pulled the trigger, it got done and everyone was satisfied. There is barely a word about MLS in there. That by itself seems to indicate how routine it was, giving the team the authority to make this decision, not the league.

arsenal
12-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Why all of the comparisons here with Dero? Unless I am mistaken ...... Joseph's contract was expired and he was a free agent. He was not in the middle of a contract that he had already opened up and re-negotiated once and asking the team to tear it up again and make him a DP?

Canary10
12-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't mean to be pushy on this one but this point does confuse me. I've read the article a couple of times but don't find where this is hinted. Could you point me to it?

The way I read the article it seems to indicate the team wanted Joseph back. They left it in the hands of their GM who they trusted to do what was necessary, including giving a DP spot which is what it took. They pulled the trigger, it got done and everyone was satisfied. There is barely a word about MLS in there. That by itself seems to indicate how routine it was, giving the team the authority to make this decision, not the league.

Here's the particular paragraph:

The unusual set of circumstances created a perfect storm of sorts and seemingly forced MLS to alter its current paradigm. This fairly significant shift under this particular and specific set of circumstances raises one pressing question: will Joseph's new deal will function as a one-off exception to the DP rule or serve as a precedent for other domestic standouts to follow in the future?

Chevy
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Why all of the comparisons here with Dero? Unless I am mistaken ...... Joseph's contract was expired and he was a free agent. He was not in the middle of a contract that he had already opened up and re-negotiated once and asking the team to tear it up again and make him a DP?

This is true, but there are a number of other valid comparisons between Joseph and DeRo. "Homegrown" MLS talent, proven performer over a number of years, recognizable athlete, and well...a bit of a pain in the a$$ to deal with.

I think its a no-brainer that DC will use Joseph's deal as precedent when negotiating with DeRo. We all know $500-$600k won't cut it for the poor guy, so it looks like the off-season DeRo soap opera will once again have high entertainment value.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
^I'm not sure I'd be pushing this from DC United's side. I'd rather keep my DP options open. DeRo should be pushing it from his side though.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Here's the particular paragraph:

The unusual set of circumstances created a perfect storm of sorts and seemingly forced MLS to alter its current paradigm. This fairly significant shift under this particular and specific set of circumstances raises one pressing question: will Joseph's new deal will function as a one-off exception to the DP rule or serve as a precedent for other domestic standouts to follow in the future?

That must be from a different article? I don't find that paragraph in the article I posted.

I would disagree with the contributor of that article as I would suggest the current paradigm does not exist in the form that he suggests. NER certainly gave the impression in the article I posted that the decision was theirs to make, not MLS.

arsenal
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM
That must be from a different article? I don't find that paragraph in the article I posted.

I would disagree with the contributor of that article as I would suggest the current paradigm does not exist in the form that he suggests. NER certainly gave the impression in the article I posted that the decision was theirs to make, not MLS.

What are the scenarios recently where MLS did not allow an MLS team to sign a free agent player to a DP contract that indicates this is a new course?

Canary10
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Here's the link: http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2011/12/05/2788828/monday-mls-breakdown-shalrie-josephs-new-deal-reflects-the

It's a pretty opaque article. From my read, NER was paying Joesph above the league max, using allocation money, as required, to do it. Then they signed Feilhaber in the allocation process in April 2011. He appears to have a contract for 2012 above the league max too (doesn't appear to in 2011 though from MLS player salary info I picked up off the player union site), and would also require using allocation money to do it (as is required by MLS). They couldn't pay both that way for 2012. They had the imminent deadline of the reentry draft to sign Joseph, or lose him for nothing. They wanted him anyway. The out was to use the DP rule for Joseph, who had the higher contract. The league seems to have decided to help NER out of their predicament by agreeing to the DP label.

ManUtd4ever
12-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Bingo. The situations are not analagous with respect to the timing of the contract negotiations.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:44 PM
It is interesting that the Garber comments are from March, not from this past week.

Thanks for the link.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Bingo. The situations are not analagous with respect to the timing of the contract negotiations.

No situation is perfectly alike, but the similarities here are far greater than the differences.

trane
12-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I still do not understand all the hate for De Ro. He is not a perfect player, and he made some bad judgements, but he was the best AM we have had, what is there to hate.

Look at the team as it is today, would we be better or worse with him on it? It is hard to beleive that with him playing as the CAM, we would not be much better. I would surely like him for the CL run. As for the DP issue, I insist that for the game to grow the sallary cap must be raised considerably or scrapped, and the DP issue will be over.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:48 PM
As fans we have all been pushing for a higher salary cap. While financial prudence is a major consideration, the quality of the league must continue to improve for interest to continue to grow.

Bringing in players like Anelka is a good thing. It shows willingness to invest. But keeping homegrown players in the league as opposed to shipping them to Europe is necessary as well. It's almost like we penalize our own players for staying in MLS.

Canary10
12-05-2011, 02:48 PM
It is interesting that the Garber comments are from March, not from this past week.

Thanks for the link.

It still doesn't say with certainty that the league has to approve DP contracts. I really don't understand why they would, but it seems they do.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 02:54 PM
They do approve all contracts. Teams submit final agreements to the league for "certification". But rarely have I heard they raise a fuss or issue. When they do, it usually has mostly to do with making sure it abides by the CBA.

trane
12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
As fans we have all been pushing for a higher salary cap. While financial prudence is a major consideration, the quality of the league must continue to improve for interest to continue to grow.

Bringing in players like Anelka is a good thing. It shows willingness to invest. But keeping homegrown players in the league as opposed to shipping them to Europe is necessary as well. It's almost like we penalize our own players for staying in MLS.

Exactly. Both of these situations will be helped by a higher sallary cap.

TOBOR !
12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
As a fan, the DP slot has a certain allure to it.

To a squad of no-hopers, it's the promise of a bright future. Someone brought over from some exotic land who will single-handedly improve the team's performance.

To have it handed to someone already a part of the squad, deserved or not, crushes the potential of bringing in someone new to add to the team.

Do you lose Joseph if you don't award him this position ? I don't know. But from a fan's perspective they must be a little bit happy and a little bit sad.

Waggy
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Isn't Dero out of contract right now trying to get a DP contract as well? Besides it's more the principle, MLS's stance previously was that the DP was for attracting foreign stars (Donovan grandfather notwithstanding). If they allow Sharlie to become a DP when he's out of contract then it sets a precedent for every MLS raised player, Dero included. And it's a good precedent to set. Tobor's point is fair, but now that the academy system is building, how can MLS (hopefully) create world class players and not even allow their own teams an opportunity to sign them long term? We don't want to be a feeder league forever. This is a very necessary step forward for the league. Now if they would just raise that cap....

TFCRegina
12-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Interesting that they chose to make him a DP despite that momentary lapse in judgement.

Sounds like a guy I'd like to hang out with though...I bet he would have loved to have come to the Ghostface Killa concert this weekend! LOL!

Maybe they were sharing in on his weed habit and had some short term memory loss?

arsenal
12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Isn't Dero out of contract right now trying to get a DP contract as well? Besides it's more the principle, MLS's stance previously was that the DP was for attracting foreign stars (Donovan grandfather notwithstanding). If they allow Sharlie to become a DP when he's out of contract then it sets a precedent for every MLS raised player, Dero included. And it's a good precedent to set. Tobor's point is fair, but now that the academy system is building, how can MLS (hopefully) create world class players and not even allow their own teams an opportunity to sign them long term? We don't want to be a feeder league forever. This is a very necessary step forward for the league. Now if they would just raise that cap....

I am sure we have people here who can definitively answer this ...... but if I recall correctly MLS/DC United holds a one-year option on Dero for his contract. He would be a free agent after next season.

Waggy
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Maybe they were sharing in on his weed habit and had some short term memory loss?

Wasn't there a Wiz Khalifa/Snoop Dogg concert in New York on the weekend? The entire east coast could have contact high

Pookie
12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I am missing the part where signing him to a DP label makes them a better team.

Moves for the status quo are effectively moves for the status quo.

Waggy
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I am missing the part where signing him to a DP label makes them a better team.

Moves for the status quo are effectively moves for the status quo.

Pfffff, you thought New England was trying to IMPROVE their team?! Bahahahahaha. Ya, right. Next thing they'll try is putting a team in an actual city

rocker
12-05-2011, 05:55 PM
On a side note, I actually thought Shalrie's abilities had fallen off a bit this year. he's still good but he'll turn 34 next year and isn't improving. And the team has gotten progressively worse even with him around the past few years. He's no key cog any more.

ag futbol
12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
As a fan, the DP slot has a certain allure to it.

That's the problem. It's a team sport and it simply does not make any sense to have million dollar superstars passing the ball to 40,000 dollar plumbers. But marketing and other considerations seem to dictate what's happening here.

For the 5 million dollars many MLS teams spend right now (most of which goes to two or three guys) we could have an entire starting 11 that earns 300k a year, another nine guys who earn 150k who come off the bench, and 10 development players who earn 75k a piece.

I don't think I'd have to make much of an argument that the quality would be immeasurably better if they spread it around the field a bit as opposed to their current top heavy dealings right now. I say throw out the DP rule and give teams the option to spend their own money beyond the salary cap up to a max of 6 million dollars. If they want to blow it all on landycakes, go nuts.

TOBOR !
12-06-2011, 12:17 PM
That's the problem. It's a team sport and it simply does not make any sense to have million dollar superstars passing the ball to 40,000 dollar plumbers. But marketing and other considerations seem to dictate what's happening here.

For the 5 million dollars many MLS teams spend right now (most of which goes to two or three guys) we could have an entire starting 11 that earns 300k a year, another nine guys who earn 150k who come off the bench, and 10 development players who earn 75k a piece.

I don't think I'd have to make much of an argument that the quality would be immeasurably better if they spread it around the field a bit as opposed to their current top heavy dealings right now. I say throw out the DP rule and give teams the option to spend their own money beyond the salary cap up to a max of 6 million dollars. If they want to blow it all on landycakes, go nuts.

I have to agree. The DP slot is a trap that fans and management fall into.

Splash out mucho dinero on some big name / fan favourite only to realize you've sqaundered it in the manner you've described.

Hopefully, once Beckham is officially gone (has that happened yet ?), MLS will put away the DP rule and we can move forward (or backwards, as the case may be).

Fort York Redcoat
12-06-2011, 12:29 PM
^He's out of contract. Until he signs somewhere else there will be speculation.