PDA

View Full Version : GolTv on Xbox

mastermixer
12-05-2011, 10:51 AM
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/12/05/Franchises/MLSE.aspx

Kinda lame if you ask me. I bet it will be an extra cost too.

ginkster88
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/12/05/Franchises/MLSE.aspx

Kinda lame if you ask me. I bet it will be an extra cost too.

Weird. I can't think of a time when I would use this.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 11:02 AM
whatever this is amazing!
i dont have cable but totally will pay a reasonable amount for this service!
especially as I follow the bundesliga
man im psyched

tictoc
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
If the GolTV feed is high def, then this would be cool.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
this is a great idea as they will expand the channel as im sure there are people who have xbox live but dont have cable as its too expensive

London
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
i am looking for reasons to cancel my cable so this could be a reason,

i think i heard something about live sports going onto netflix as well.

if they start offering up channels at a few bucks a month, i could buy the channels i want, (maybe 6-8 channels) then i could save a few bucks on cable and find the shows i want to see ( which is not many) on the net

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
amen to that, price is so absolutely key.
Even 10 bucks a month might be too much for me, especially as its only 2.50 if you have digital cable.

MartinUtd
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Anything that diversifies broadcasting away from the giants is a good thing. Thanks for posting, I'll be interested to see what the details are.

London
12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
amen to that, price is so absolutely key.
Even 10 bucks a month might be too much for me, especially as its only 2.50 if you have digital cable.

this is big to me as well. id maybe pay max of 5 bucks for it

mastermixer
12-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I guess I'm more upset that I'm a PS3 guy more than anything, and Xbox will have access to GolTv in HD when I can't even get it on my 200 a month rogers service.

London
12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
^^^ i would think it will come to all consoles eventualy

brad
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Good sign for me as well. Live sports is the main reason I still have cable. While Gol TV is not enough yet, if I can get Premiership online as well, that would be enough for me to cancel cable and save a lot of $$$ each month.

ensco
12-05-2011, 12:10 PM
The market for this will be about 57 people, give or take.

It's an HD feed, but so what, if the game isn't broadcast in HD (as most are not).

I see it as more of a gimmick that allows you to wave your arms (ie use Kinect ) to bring the channel on, and maybe do a bit of interactive stuff.

I don't see how you can get this service without subscribing to cable. No way will Rogers/Bell allow GOL to be anywhere on the channel list otherwise. Plus you have to pay for Xbox Live I think, which is $60 a year.

Just my humble opinion.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
There would be no point to bringing it to xbox then

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
im not entirely sure how it works but if you own a channel, do you not have the right to give whoever access to it as you please?

ensco
12-05-2011, 12:26 PM
im not entirely sure how it works but if you own a channel, do you not have the right to give whoever access to it as you please?

Sure you do. Same as Rogers/Bell have the right not to carry your channel.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Sure you do. Same as Rogers/Bell have the right not to carry your channel.

fair enough, once again i would be shocked if they dropped them just because they wanted to put one channel available on xbox. one of the many problems with these retarded monopolies. What about HBO and these other channels that are supposed to be coming to xbox. I can already watch some tv shows that were on fox and AMC last night on my xbox

ensco
12-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I would say it is a fight to the death for the cable cos.

They will never, ever, ever allow anyone to show live programming on xbox, or any other hub in the home, if it isn't available simultaneously, and on equally or more advantageous terms, on cable.

Xbox knows this. The reason xbox is in this business is that they are trying to building that $5/month business for a whole package of "value" that this is a small part of. Right now you can do neato things with the controller (ie in program voting or fantasy stuff) and .... that's it.

Microsoft are hoping that people will write apps for kinect that really make watching something on xbox kinect cool/different down the line (ie reality shows with dance contests that integrate to dance central, or playing fantasy sports while watching the game. But for now, the whole thing is a nonevent.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
although it would mean significant income for MLSE i dont think itd put a dent in the cable market (IE people wouldnt cancel cable all together because they can get it on their xbox), not to mention that i dont think there is a huge amount of xbox owners out there

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 12:38 PM
the other thing too is that the cable company will make money off streaming the majority of the time.

i guess we will see.

Greatest Ripoff
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
It's an HD feed, but so what, if the game isn't broadcast in HD (as most are not).

Ins't most of GOLtv's content in HD? All the MLS, la Liga and Bundesliga matches are broadcasted in HD. Being able to see those in HD would be worth it.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Ensco-

I think youd have a point if it was something huge like the leafs but TFC/Goltv pulls in only so many viewers and isnt really in huge demand so i wouldnt be surprised if they had this sorted out before hand

Yagbod
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
I asked Asif if it was coming to PS3 or if there was an Xbox exclusivity clause.

His answer:

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/1026084921/AsifHossain_normal.JPG
asifintoronto (https://twitter.com/#!/asifintoronto) Asif Hossain @

@Yagbod (https://twitter.com/#!/Yagbod) That I wouldn't be able to answer, I'm sure, even if I knew. I'm sorry.

A.J
12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
The market for this will be about 57 people, give or take.

I see it as more of a gimmick that allows you to wave your arms (ie use Kinect ) to bring the channel on, and maybe do a bit of interactive stuff.

I don't see how you can get this service without subscribing to cable. No way will Rogers/Bell allow GOL to be anywhere on the channel list otherwise. Plus you have to pay for Xbox Live I think, which is $60 a year.

Just my humble opinion.

IF you can get this without cable subscription, then

I think the demand will be greater than you might think. This is great news for people like me, who own an Xbox but no cable. And there is a free version of Xbox Live, the only difference with the Gold version being that you can't play games online but still have access to all the XBox online services.

If they treat this as an extension to your pre-existing cable service... Well, that's going to be pretty much useless

ensco
12-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Ensco-

I think youd have a point if it was something huge like the leafs but TFC/Goltv pulls in only so many viewers and isnt really in huge demand so i wouldnt be surprised if they had this sorted out before hand

My point isn't based on the amount of money involved, that's obviously nothing. It's about the precedent, and not letting the thin edge of the wedge in.

All I can say is, I know a little bit about how media companies think. I believe they will pull any channel down, that goes down this road. Just my opinion.

Kaz
12-05-2011, 02:20 PM
This is part of Xbox TV service, which will let you watch on the xbox. MLSE can set up a deal with xbox and it can be TV service independent. (I can't comment 100% if it is)

What you do need is a xbox gold membership, and then MLSE may charge extra depending on how it is set up. So at least $60 a year, though most people with an Xbox have to have it anyway or they aren't allowed to play games online. And then most likely $3 a month per MLSE channel I'm assuming. If I had an Xbox this would neat... I don't and it doesn't make me want to get one. If they bring it to the PS3 at $3 a month I might. I picked the PS3 because of the Live membership. My buddy plays online 3 times a month pays $60 a year. I play online about the same when I am playing regularly and pay nothing. He paid 299 I paid 399 three years ago. He laughed at me for paying the extra $100, he's since spent 300 dollars on 3 years of live and a blu-ray player. I enjoy laughing at him now.

Beach_Red
12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
My point isn't based on the amount of money involved, that's obviously nothing. It's about the precedent, and not letting the thin edge of the wedge in.

All I can say is, I know a little bit about how media companies think. I believe they will pull any channel down, that goes down this road. Just my opinion.

They will certainly try. This fight may be more intesting than any sports they'd show. Both Bell/Rogers and MLSE seem to spend more time and money fighting to keep out any competition than they do on the value-add to their own products. It will be fun to watch them fight each other.

If I could get my internet through a company like Techsavvy and be able to watch live sports, Netflix and so on that does change things.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
ill let you know what the goltv capabilities are once ive got the option to, guess we can take it from there

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 07:09 PM
like i said ill be shocked if MLSE lets rogers/bell push them around re: goltv on xbox

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 08:14 PM
just found this, sounds amazing
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1359476

Ossington Mental Youth
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Microsoft+enters+living+rooms/5814777/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

AHA!
this article suggests 5$ a game.
Bite me.
Im not gonna pay that at all.
Ill take streams for free even if it is a shittier quality.
Too bad cuz i was really on board for this if this is the truth

this article says 6.99 a month
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1097368--leafs-take-aim-at-the-xbox-generation

that i could do

A.J
12-06-2011, 02:31 AM
It will requires Xbox live Gold. :(

I don't even play games anymore so I'm not sure I want to fork over the extra $$ just so I can subscribe to GolTV. I wish they had a similar service for the PC.

Captain
12-06-2011, 09:28 AM
The guys on 590 were discussing this on the radio this morning. I didn't pay too much attention as they were discussing it regarding the leafs (at the end they mentioned the raptors and TFC). They were trying to figure out whether or not there was a draw to fans if they could talk live with other fans during the game.

dupont
12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm not paying 6.99 for that. It's not like you get every Leafs, Raptors and TFC game. You only get the ones that they shoved greedily onto those specialty stations.
I'll stream it for free or just skip it entirely if no stream is available. No problems here.

Strikers
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I think this is a good idea. Right now I think if MLS offerred Matchday Live on consoles would be better. Just like MLB TV is available on consoles now.

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I think this is a good idea. Right now I think if MLS offerred Matchday Live on consoles would be better. Just like MLB TV is available on consoles now.

yes but without the regional black out.
this would be a great idea.
I know people dont like that it only comes after you purchase xbox live but thats the same for all of the other things with xbox (ie netflix etc)

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
i keep seeing that they are going to charge $5 a game.
they can get fucked if they think im going to pay for that for a tfc game when ive already got seasons tickets. Ill pay that monthly and yearly but not for games. Ill just stick to streams. Hopefully that only applys to leafs games (as i dont give a shit about hockey).

brad
12-06-2011, 12:05 PM
yes but without the regional black out.
this would be a great idea.
I know people dont like that it only comes after you purchase xbox live but thats the same for all of the other things with xbox (ie netflix etc)

And most people with an xbox already have a Gold membership as it is needed to play games online (which is the primary use for an Xbox these days).

Ossington Mental Youth
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
And most people with an xbox already have a Gold membership as it is needed to play games online (which is the primary use for an Xbox these days).

yeah pretty much

PopePouri
01-19-2012, 09:21 AM
It's available now. Anyone try it out?

Phil
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
I downloaded it but haven't really fired it up yet. I am curious how it plays out on the money front. I don't think I am willing to dole out the $7 when I get the low def channel for $3.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
awesome, ill do it now and let you know, ive been waiting for this

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
signed up for goltv, some games on tonight, will keep people posted. Its HD which is great.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2012, 09:50 AM
pumped ill be able to watch my bundesliga games (when they show Bremen) and all those TFC games that seem to be impossible to find on streams

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
its 6.99 a month which isnt bad if youve not got digital cable. (im a student and cancelled my ish when school started, this is affordable)

Strikers
01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Question, is there an On Demand Feature which you can watch past games from an archive?

Rudi
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
I downloaded it but haven't really fired it up yet. I am curious how it plays out on the money front. I don't think I am willing to dole out the $7 when I get the low def channel for $3.
I've downloaded it, too.

My cable TV services are scheduled to be cancelled in early February (I pick up quite a few OTA HD channels), so I'll definitely be looking to this app if there are many TFC games on Gol this year.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Question, is there an On Demand Feature which you can watch past games from an archive?

I haven't seeen it yet but i also just bought it and logged off as i had school. It'd be a great idea
If they haven't thought of it

razor787
01-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Just a word of warning for everyone. If you want to watch the HD streams and plan on watching it a lot, you NEED to make sure you have a good internet package. If you have a low GB allowance (we only get 60GB month) than you will eat up your allotted GB in no time at all.

Ossington Mental Youth
01-19-2012, 06:02 PM

they do not, my bad, they only air whats actually on

Ossington Mental Youth
01-20-2012, 05:28 PM
my bad again, there IS an on demand open, havent checked it out yet

justin
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Just a word of warning for everyone. If you want to watch the HD streams and plan on watching it a lot, you NEED to make sure you have a good internet package. If you have a low GB allowance (we only get 60GB month) than you will eat up your allotted GB in no time at all.

that's what i was afraid of, it being a bandwidth whore. streaming/radio it is for me!

Ossington Mental Youth
01-24-2012, 10:21 PM
i dont mind, if i was watching all the time itd prob be a prob, def gonna be better quality then alot of those streams out there