PDA

View Full Version : Plata signing almost done

dantdot
12-02-2011, 08:57 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/02/plata-return-toronto-nearly-done-deal

New article. Possibly a 3 year deal with TFC owning 50% of his rights.

Shakes McQueen
12-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Best part:

“When [Liga de Quito] asked me to stay for the upcoming year, I told them I felt comfortably in Toronto and that I wanted to be there next season,” Plata told FutbolMLS.com on Friday. “[Quito] told me it was my decision. … I [spoke with my family], I felt comfortable in Toronto, and next year, I’ll be back with the team.”

I'm confused as to what it means for the team to own 50% of his rights though. What is the impact of that?

- Scott

brad
12-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I think the 50% basically means we pay less to acquire him, but it also means that any future profit on his sale is split with them. It would also mean that they would be involed in any deal we negotiate to sell him in the future. At least that's the way those deals normall work.

Waggy
12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I think the 50% basically means we pay less to acquire him, but it also means that any future profit on his sale is split with them. It would also mean that they would be involed in any deal we negotiate to sell him in the future. At least that's the way those deals normall work.

That's what I figured as well. Makes a lot of sense considering our limited funds to buy him (fucking allocation limit). I'm sure if interested TFC would be able to buy the other 50% in the future anyways. Whatever, either way the long and the short of it (more the short) is 3 more years of Plata!!

Shakes McQueen
12-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Would it mean that if we transferred him, that new team would take over our 50%? Or does it mean that Quito and TFC both have to agree in order to transfer him somewhere else?

Or as Brad said - does it essentially mean he's ours, but if we sell him in the future, Quito gets half the money from the sale?

- Scott

Cashcleaner
12-02-2011, 09:49 PM
^ That sounds about right. Good news in any case, he's a good fit for TFC.

brad
12-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Would it mean that if we transferred him, that new team would take over our 50%? Or does it mean that Quito and TFC both have to agree in order to transfer him somewhere else?

Or as Brad said - does it essentially mean he's ours, but if we sell him in the future, Quito gets half the money from the sale?

- Scott

Not 100% sure on this, but I think we could sell our 50% stake on our own. However most clubs buying would be a step up from us and would probably want full ownership. For that they would need to deal with us and with Quito. If Quito don't play ball the deal would be off.

Not going to lie - my knowledge on split ownerships comes completely from Football Manager, but they tend to have this stuff bang on :-)

mowe
12-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Awesome news. We get him for the next three years and an equal chance as Quito for keeping him beyond that.

Really the perfect solution, all credit to Mariner/Winter.

Maltese Falcon
12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
great news

NBS
12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Awesome news. We get him for the next three years and an equal chance as Quito for keeping him beyond that.

Really the perfect solution, all credit to Mariner/Winter.

I think a ton of credit is due to LDQ also. They appear to have been very respectful of Joao's wishes and the opportunity for him to further his career by staying at TFC.

They could've been pricks about it but they seem like a very professionally run outfit.

Kaz
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
The best news from this season, and the best new internationally is that Plata asked for this, he spent a season with the club, liked being here, felt comfortable here, didn't feel frustrated or picked on. That is a message to the international and MLS community that if you come to Toronto you work hard, and you respect the team and play for the team and things will go well for you.

You could not have said that over the 2 years prior to last.

We have a system, we are bring people up, we are developing a good rep, and we have players asking to be here. And we get to have a few more years of Plata. That is a great great thing. I couldn't be more excited.

Part of this might mean that LDQ may take up part of his salary as we will be developing him. And in three years if he develops well LDQ may come calling when they have a another young go getter that could use extra play time. I of course have no basis for this but it would be nice. And dreams are free.

Shakes McQueen
12-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I think a ton of credit is due to LDQ also. They appear to have been very respectful of Joao's wishes and the opportunity for him to further his career by staying at TFC.

They could've been pricks about it but they seem like a very professionally run outfit.

Absolutely. Massive ups to Quito.

I wonder if we could end up seeing more of these 50% stake deals, to try and get around cap restrictions.

- Scott

brad
12-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't think they can call him home - its no longer a loan, it's a split ownership.

brad
12-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I wonder if we could end up seeing more of these 50% stake deals, to try and get around cap restrictions.

- Scott

Seems like a really smart way to game the system. You potentially lose some allocation money on the future if the player sells, but you get access them at a lower cap hit.

Waggy
12-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Absolutely. Massive ups to Quito.

- Scott

Oh boy could you be on to something here. I'd imagine there's clubs worldwide who'd love a partnership like that. It's pure profit for any higher level club if they don't think the prospect can crack their roster. We do all the work developing the player, the player gets to play, the other club gets half the profit if we sell him (or buy the other 50%, probably a lot more expensive after the players developed from before) and we get huge cap savings. Win win win.

Greatest Ripoff
12-02-2011, 11:21 PM
I think I read somewhere that his agents owns part of his contract. So if the sale goes through, TFC could own 50% and his agent could own 50% of his contract.

denime
12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Good news,I'm sure they will get Ecks signed too.It is good to see they don't wait for January to start resigning players.

We have two young talented and perspective players wanting to stay and play for TFC,unthinkable not even a year ago.

ag futbol
12-03-2011, 01:19 AM
While we're at it, why doesn't LDQ send us a CB or two? :)

West220Side
12-03-2011, 02:51 AM
While we're at it, why doesn't LDQ send us a CB or two? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geovanny_Caicedo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulises_de_la_Cruz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa%C3%BAl_Ambrosi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Guagua
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A9icer_Reasco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argenis_Moreira
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Valencia_Murillo

BeachTory
12-03-2011, 06:56 AM
MLS does not do straight loan deals. All loans have a purchase option held by MLS/club.
The question always comes down to the amount of transfer to be paid if the club wants to keep and sign past the loan term.

This is an onward transfer split arrangment that is also common. If,as and when Plata is transfered out of TFC, a portion of the fee received will go to ecuador.

This is the same situation that eckersley is in (meaning an onward fee split). Difference with ecks is that burnley will owe a significant sum to manu if he plays one more game with burnley. So Burnley cant really afford to take him back (as in, ecks is not worth the salary and transfer fee owed to manu for the player he is for burnley at this time ) and needs to get someone else to cover his salary while the manu onward transfer/games played option still exists. These things have terms that expire eventually. Ecks might be ours but still on loan for another year or until the manu deal still exists.

The ecks deal will get done.

And all loan deals into mls are really all option deals. These onward split arrangements protect the lenders and benefits mls.

ensco
12-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Not our first "exposure" to this form of ownership. Stevanonic was owned 50/50 by Inter and Torino.

Especially good to see that a player with options and upside isn't just talking about being happy here, but is really showing it. Hard to get used to!

Bit of a lesson on the relative ranking of the Peruvian league to MLS (I know LDQ played in Cup Wold Cup a couple of years ago, but still).

Trouble13
12-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Now this is the kind of news I am happy to wake up to :-)

loconet
12-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Bit of a lesson on the relative ranking of the Peruvian league to MLS (I know LDQ played in Cup Wold Cup a couple of years ago, but still).

Ecuadorian :p

ginkster88
12-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Not our first "exposure" to this form of ownership. Stevanonic was owned 50/50 by Inter and Torino.

Especially good to see that a player with options and upside isn't just talking about being happy here, but is really showing it. Hard to get used to!

I think it's more indicative of a team that he loves being part of, as well as living in Canada and traveling around NA as opposed to living in Ecuador and playing there.

bman27
12-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Stevanovic (shudder i know) is under a similar contract, 50 percent owned by Inter, 50 by torino, I think this is the best move by all involved really

TorontoGooner
12-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Great news. Biggest signing we'll make all Winter

Pookie
12-03-2011, 02:36 PM

- Scott

I've got to figure that the easiest scenario is that a transfer of the player results in a 50/50 split.

As for other details, I think that will be buried within the contract by the lawyers. For example, if at the end of the 3 years and TFC let's the contract expire, does Quito re-acquire TFC's half or at least have an option on the player? What are the provisions if TFC wants to increase its "share" of Plata? etc.

Unless you are staring at the contract, it's almost impossible to simplify it and account for every possibility. At the end of the day, it looks like there is a 3 year agreement for Plata to play here and that is cause for celebration.

ensco
12-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Ecuadorian :p

Brain cramp. I should be more careful, they don't like each other much
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Ecuadorian–Peruvian_territorial_dis pute

BeachTory
12-03-2011, 04:21 PM
For example, if at the end of the 3 years and TFC let's the contract expire, does Quito re-acquire TFC's half or at least have an option on the player? What are the provisions if TFC wants to increase its "share" of Plata? etc.

Unless you are staring at the contract, it's almost impossible to simplify it and account for every possibility. At the end of the day, it looks like there is a 3 year agreement for Plata to play here and that is cause for celebration.

When a contract for a player is done, he goes on free transfer. As in, his old team(s) gets nothing when he signs where ever.

Plata signing a new contract means an extension/re work of an existing one into a new one which might have a term extension. If he was out of contract with LDQ, they would be getting nothing.

Since this is a negotiated contract involving LDQ and since he came on a MLS loan ( as in he had an existing LDQ contract ) 2012 was likely the last year covered by the old deal. The new deal lets LDQ get perhaps an extension of a potential future transfer fee, but they could not force him home or anywhere else as MLS/TFC had a buy option.

Juanito
12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Is this official? I haven't read anything about it.

I hope it has or gets done soon.

mastermixer
12-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Wonder how much salary he is taking? I'm going to guess in the low to mid 100's

Juanito
12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
^^

I think anything under $150k would be a slap in the face.