PDA

View Full Version : Which (ex) TFC player did you hate(d) the most?

Yohan
12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Because it's exam season and I'm bored.

Hatred earned through their suckiness, drama, attitude, or any combination. Or whoever you gave the most stick to. Or just plain dislike.

tfcleeds
12-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Jeff Cunningham - get fucked.

Yohan
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Jeff Cunningham. Just didn't give a fuck during his time in MLS, despite having a great scoring record in MLS.

Carlos Ruiz comes close second. Fucking diving twat who also didn't give a fuck at TFC

T-boy
12-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Easily Laurent Robert. He purely came for the paycheque and expected an easy ride in the MLS. I put more effort into laying in a bath that he put into playing while at TFC! Totally hated the dude!

Some TFC players were BAD (Lombardo, for example, never deserved to play for a pro soccer team...but at least he TRIED....you can't hate him for the effort he put in!).

So Laurent Robert, purely on his lack of effort to play for TFC, is top of my hate list!

razor787
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM

^This

billyfly
12-01-2011, 01:01 PM
At the time it was Ruiz.

Over time its become Cunningham.

Fort York Redcoat
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Tie

Legendary Cuntingham- forever #100
Ruiz who had as much experience and did even less

ArmenJBX
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I liked Carlos Ruiz because he was a prolific goalscorer in FIFA 09 for Toronto FC :D

Juanito
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Hmmm ..... HATE is a strong word.

HATE around here can turn into a flame war. Personally, I don't HATE anyone.

Nodoubtguy
12-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Juan, I hate your lack of hate!!!

rocker
12-01-2011, 01:33 PM

yeah, it's a strong word...

I hate Jeff Cunningham. I dislike some of the others.

Yohan
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Cunty can never be forgiven for missing a sitter that allowed Montreal to win the Voyageur Cup at BMO Field

eustacchio
12-01-2011, 01:39 PM
^ no brainer.

Stryker
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I laughed so hard when Garcia got popped in the chops and dropped like a sack of potatoes. So yeah, Id have to say Garcia.

Suds
12-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I hate hangovers.

Which means I hate every player that has caused me to consume an obscene amount of alcohol after a game they've played. This includes those who have played for and against TFC.

However, by this logic I also hate players who have been great for TFC and have caused me to consume obscene amounts of alcohol in celebration.

I also hate not drinking at and after footy matches. But I love football.

I'm so conflicted. :o

Oh yeah, Cunty can eat it!

David_Oliveira
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Cunty for sure. Peterson was also a douche for post TFC comments

Redcoe15
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Cunningham.

'Nuff said!

NBS
12-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Anyone? Do you just mean in soccer or in the entire world? Surely there is somebody you hate out there.

London
12-01-2011, 02:20 PM
i voted ruiz but just noticed i missed mista!!

he sucked balls

Brooker
12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Andy Welsh?! I figured he'd get a pass cuz of his goal against Houston in the rain.

Jeff "Hands on hips" Cunningham. Fucker!

TOBOR !
12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Marco Reda. What a miserable, no talent he was.

... but yeah. Jeff Cunnigham wins this hands down.

Yohan
12-01-2011, 02:24 PM
frak. how did I miss Marco Reda on this list?

Oldtimer
12-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Only one player that I dislike significantly:

http://tfcpics.com/tpl1/images/204.jpg

Keyman
12-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Danny Dichio

kodiakTFC
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM
http://montreal.theoffside.com/files/2010/04/Photo8-9746.jpg

Anyone remember this?

Detroit_TFC
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Surprisingly easy choice.

Didn't do anything for the Crew this season, that probably should offset some of his considerable negative goodwill balance (not really). Given his on and off performance schedule, somebody like the Revs will pick him up for 2012 and he'll score 20 goals, the fucker. More likely he will retire and won't remind us of his existence any longer, which would be fine by me.

I should dislike Ruiz more than I do but he did so little I don't even remember him playing for us.

mastermixer
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Chad Barrett seemed like a good guy, but man did he frustrate me when he was on the field!! Still voted for Cunt-ham.

Roogsy
12-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Connor Casey

Technorgasm
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Laurent Robert. . . Get fucked.

ps. I hate that Dirty Mexican Juanito.

Whoop
12-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Easily, Cunningham.

That picture of him with his hands on his hips while Samuel takes the PK against the Crew personified his time here.

trane
12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Cunny.

Mr. Bigby
12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Harmse

shutupkid
12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Greg Sutton

Roogsy
12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
???

That one came out of left field...

Torontotonto
12-01-2011, 07:02 PM
The poll is about players, there is many players I did not like over the years, but my hatred is for the the management who did fuck all the first 4.5 years while I kept having faith, drinking the koolaid and renewing my season tickets.

1. MLSE
2. Mo
3. Preki
4. Beer Prices

Juanito
12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Laurent Robert. . . Get fucked.

ps. I hate that Dirty Mexican Juanito.

D.F.M. Norb!

Juanito
12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah, it's a strong word...

I hate Jeff Cunningham. I dislike some of the others.

HA HA HA! Good stuff sir!

Juanito
12-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Juan, I hate your lack of hate!!!

d-diB65scQU

jloome
12-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Easily Laurent Robert. He purely came for the paycheque and expected an easy ride in the MLS. I put more effort into laying in a bath that he put into playing while at TFC! Totally hated the dude!

Absolutely disagree with this statement. Robert was ineffective because he's a headcase, and you can't bring in a headcase to a team where no one else has a third of his talent.

But he did chase down balls, he did run hard. I disagree completely that he didn't put in effort. I watched him chase down a ball and run into the side stands, swearing his ass off in French for not making it in time.

Did he put less effort in towards the end of his tenure? Probably. If I'd have been a former PSG and Newcastle winger and had to serve up balls to Andrea LOmbardo, I'm not sure how long I'd last, either.

But if you want to hate on people for effort, the only guys we have who routinely dogged it were Carlos Ruiz and Jeff Cunningham. Even Colin Hamuel tried to run.

jloome
12-01-2011, 07:17 PM
To me, only Peterson deserves outright contempt. He's the only guy who shit on our team after leaving. So fuck the useless little college has-been. I've got guys in my rec league who outplay that useless piece of shit.

TFCRegina
12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Almost voted Dan Gargan. Not because of his personality, but because of the cult that worshipped his mediocre abilities.

Ended up voting for that douche Jacob Peterson. I expect Armen voted the same way.

Yohan
12-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Almost voted Dan Gargan. Not because of his personality, but because of the cult that worshipped his mediocre abilities.

a lot of Fire supporters seems to think highly of Gargan too

Nerepis
12-01-2011, 08:12 PM
For me it was a very close call between Cunningham and Garcia, but Cunningham won out (or lost out) in the end.

Never really disliked Harmse, but I always had a general unease about him, mostly I never felt confident that he would make it through a full game without getting Red Carded.

Pookie
12-01-2011, 08:12 PM

^ Qw9oX-kZ_9k

TFCRegina
12-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Look, he's a nice guy, but not a very good player. That's all.

n_potts
12-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Totally woulda voted Harmse if he was up there. But he's not so it's got be Cunny (with Ruiz close behind)

Canary10
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Great thread.

To me it's Garcia.

sashavukelich
12-01-2011, 09:11 PM
voted Peterson, what a frat boy loser (as a player).

T-boy
12-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Absolutely disagree with this statement. Robert was ineffective because he's a headcase, and you can't bring in a headcase to a team where no one else has a third of his talent.

But he did chase down balls, he did run hard. I disagree completely that he didn't put in effort. I watched him chase down a ball and run into the side stands, swearing his ass off in French for not making it in time.

Did he put less effort in towards the end of his tenure? Probably. If I'd have been a former PSG and Newcastle winger and had to serve up balls to Andrea LOmbardo, I'm not sure how long I'd last, either.

But if you want to hate on people for effort, the only guys we have who routinely dogged it were Carlos Ruiz and Jeff Cunningham. Even Colin Hamuel tried to run.

I actually brought a Newcastle friend of mine to a couple of games as he was living here that summer. He was VERY excited to see Robert play again as he was a fan favourite at Toon. My friend said on a number of occasions that Robert just didn't look like he was trying at all, and his body language was totaly different from when he was at Newcastle. I told him prior to seeing him that this was the case, but he didn't believe me as he said that "Robert is a total professional, he doesn't know how NOT to try!". He totally changed his mind after seeing him play at TFC!

jojoflow
12-01-2011, 09:50 PM
For me it was a very close call between Cunningham and Garcia, but Cunningham won out (or lost out) in the end.

Never really disliked Harmse, but I always had a general unease about him, mostly I never felt confident that he would make it through a full game without getting Red Carded.

lol and Harmse played so many games he was amazing at kicking the ball down the field when he had no one in 5 yards around him sometimes no one around 10 yards around him

Chevy
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM

I believe that the 'worship' referred to earlier is not in regards to his playing ability but rather his attidude, effort and heart.

There are very few supporters that rate Gargan as an excellent footballer. I would wager that Dan himself doesn't think that.

Ajax TFC
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I voted Peterson. He was shit. He had the football intelligence of my younger brother (and I don't even have one), yet he had the nerve to criticize the team for playing him out of position, and found a way to make that Canada's fault. Of course in his stupidity he doesn't realize that if he wasn't given the chance to play out of position, he wouldn't have been playing at all because there's no way he's the best winger we had.

He was given the chance to play AM because he wasn't the a first choice winger. Yet instead of taking the opportunity, he took on the attitude of an only child who for the first time in their life didn't get their way - he stopped giving a shit. He played horribly, and blamed Winter for his bad performances because his football IQ was too low to understand the value of learning to pass in training.
I was very happy when he got injured, and I was even happier when we got rid of him. Then I was outraged that he had the nerve to put blame on others when he was one of the players that made the team so bad.

jojoflow
12-01-2011, 10:02 PM
I voted for Garcia

but i also hated Vitti, Mista, Ruiz, Robert that french guy i think thats his name, Cunningham, velez ( i cant believe he started games lol the best player at putting up his hand for an offside when he was the player keeping the player onside), gerba (for not playing up to the level he could and not getting fit to play) and Peterson at times (really how many shitty free kicks did he have after his first one ended up setting up a goal, I would say none)

also I hate Garevara for not playing hard when he found out he was going to the world cup first half of the season he was playing ok still skying the ball over the bar everytime he would take a free kick. Then 2nd half of the season he never tried he never produced the way he did in years past and the 1st half of the season. He was not a team player got the ball taken away and walked back to defend. Did not play like he wanted to play for TFC at all

nickio
12-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Garcia, he talked too much and thought he was some soccer genius. Looked downright stupid on the field.

ensco
12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Not sure that Peterson's tweets were accurately interpreted, or a reflection of what he actually thought about Canada. He was mad at Winter.

Cunningham had injury issues and thought Mo pressured him into playing when he shouldn't. He was snakebit, and used mostly as a lone striker, which was not the way to use him. The hate for him is absurd.

It has to be Ruiz. I had never seen a second half sub get subbed out until Ruiz did it. Think of the level of disrespect you have to show to have that happen to you.

TFCin110
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Danny Dichio. Scored a couple goals for us but terrible player.

Yohan
12-01-2011, 11:11 PM
good grief. ugh

Yohan
12-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Cunningham had injury issues and thought Mo pressured him into playing when he shouldn't. He was snakebit, and used mostly as a lone striker, which was not the way to use him. The hate for him is absurd.

I remember Cunty playing with Dichio up front a lot?

jloome
12-01-2011, 11:50 PM
I remember Cunty playing with Dichio up front a lot?

First three games, if I remember right. They looked really, really dangerous. Then Dichio got injured, and without a target man to play off (he had Brian McBride for most of his years at Columbus) he looked totally lost.

Work ethic was shit, and he had trouble keeping his head in the game. Fast, good skill, just a bit of a fuck wit.

jloome
12-01-2011, 11:51 PM

Ended up voting for that douche Jacob Peterson. I expect Armen voted the same way.

I don't think anyone worshipped his abilities. They worshipped his work ethic, which was occasionally monstrous.

No one was under any illusions about his skills.

Cashcleaner
12-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Jeff Cunningham. Just didn't give a fuck during his time in MLS, despite having a great scoring record in MLS.

Carlos Ruiz comes close second. Fucking diving twat who also didn't give a fuck at TFC

Yeah, Cunningham is up there for me. Pretty much for what you said. Good talent, but looking back, not a lot of heart.

Some TFC players were BAD (Lombardo, for example, never deserved to play for a pro soccer team...but at least he TRIED....you can't hate him for the effort he put in!).

So Laurent Robert, purely on his lack of effort to play for TFC, is top of my hate list!

The problem I have with Robert is that he had a good mind for the game and you could see almost him analyze things as they unfolded on the pitch, but he didn't put in the physical effort to go along with it. Mentally, he was very quick, but too physically slow. I don't want to go so far as to say lazy because he did show some good hustle at times, but it was inconsistent.

Chad Barrett seemed like a good guy, but man did he frustrate me when he was on the field!! Still voted for Cunt-ham.

Without a doubt, one of the most frustrating players to watch. Doesn't make me hate him, but is definitely one of the thing I disliked most about him. Welsh was even more infuriating and it still didn't make me hate him.

The poll is about players, there is many players I did not like over the years, but my hatred is for the the management who did fuck all the first 4.5 years while I kept having faith, drinking the koolaid and renewing my season tickets.

1. MLSE
2. Mo
3. Preki
4. Beer Prices

My top pick is reserved for the guy(s) who gave Mo his contract extension even when it was clear he had no clue as to how to run a team. I can't name any one individual because it was probably a group decision and we'll probably never know all who were involved in it.

Great thread.

To me it's Garcia.

You're joking. Right?

Lastly, fuck the Lombardo haters! (though I know there aren't any so far on this thread) Of all the players I've ever met and had a good talk with, he was by far the friendliest and most enthusiastic. We talk a lot about heart and loyalty and all the non-skill aspects of a player that we like and he epitomized all of the best in my opinion.

Shakes McQueen
12-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Cunningham is the only former player I'd say I hate. He was here long enough to justify such a strong reaction.

Carlos Ruiz simply wasn't here long enough, and did nothing.

The rest aren't deserving of hate.

- Scott

Canary10
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
"Lastly, fuck the Lombardo haters! (though I know there aren't any so far on this thread) Of all the players I've ever met and had a good talk with, he was by far the friendliest and most enthusiastic. We talk a lot about heart and loyalty and all the non-skill aspects of a player that we like and he epitomized all of the best in my opinion."

Who cares!!? He was complete shite as a player.

Detroit_TFC
12-02-2011, 09:52 AM
IMO any player in MLS who says anything other than "I'm sorry to leave, the fans were great in ____" after leaving a team, is foolish.

Wull
12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
hard to pick between cuntingham and jake "redneck shithead" peterson but his goal in the CCL last year means jacob is spared

TOBOR !
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
First three games, if I remember right. They looked really, really dangerous. Then Dichio got injured, and without a target man to play off (he had Brian McBride for most of his years at Columbus) he looked totally lost.

Work ethic was shit, and he had trouble keeping his head in the game. Fast, good skill, just a bit of a fuck wit.

oh, yeah - wasn't there a banner done up for them ?

The fast and the Furious ?

found it :

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1230/535195523_f6791f2108.jpg

ensco
12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Re Cunningham, I put this post up in the MLS Cup thread last year:

When he came here he was initially paired with Dichio (the "fast and the furious"), and they looked like dynamite. Cunny got tons of chances, did score a bit, probably should have had a few more, but they were only together for maybe 8 games before he and DD (and O'Brien and everyone else) got hurt midsummer. (Painful to think that the June 2007 team might have been our best team so far.)

Cunny was supposed to be done for the year in 2007, he had hernia surgery, but he actually came back for a few games at the end of 2007. It seemed dumb, the season was done by then. Part of it was, while Cunny was out, Mo implied in a press conference that Cunny was being a diva about the injury and was staying out too long. Who knows, but we certainly can say that many credible players, such as Robbo, have been unusually willing to go public with their grievances with Mo, so we know Mo played rough. In any case, it seems to me that a hernia operation is a serious thing, and Cunny coming back at all that year, for a last place team, says positive things, not negative things, about his attitude.

Next year Carver comes in. First game, Cunny wins a PK, but Carver lets Samuel take it. Cunny is pissed and the infamous series of photos showing him with his hands on his hips during and after the missed PK come out afterwards. That's when the hate for him really started around here. But it has to be said, while he shouldn't have done that, Cunny was right to be pissed - time has shown that Carver was an idiot for favouring Samuel over Cunny.

The story for the rest of Cunny's short stay here is more about Carver than Cunny. Carver completely misused Cunny. He used him as a lone striker in a 4-5-1 which no one else has done with the guy before or since. It was obviously dumb. It played a huge role in Cunny's lack of production here in 2008.

As for the missed sitter against Montreal, what can you say? Strikers miss sitters. It happens. Carver calling him out publicly after the game made us feel better, but it's just more evidence of where the problem really was - it wasn't something a good manager does.

As for the bad attitude rap, what's the compelling evidence for that? Putting your hands on your hips? Didier Drogba does that. I think Cunny is a bit of a goofball and a strange guy, RSL ran him off, I know, and he said some weird things to the media here, but did Cunny really stop trying? Or was he just frustrated at the lack of service in a hopeless formation/situation? I think the general love-in with Carver at the time seriously clouded our view of the truth.

TFC supporters, what I am saying is this: like everyone else associated with TFC, we were wrong about they guy. He was, until this year, a great scorer, and both Mo and Carver blew it with him. We piled on and helped make it easy for those guys to get rid of him, rather than addressing the real problem with the team at that time. We were blinded by Mo's initial success at bringing in players, which seems more lucky than smart now, and by Carver's seeming (but not actual) competence.

There's no reason to hate Jeff Cunningham, then or now.

ManUtd4ever
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Not sure that Peterson's tweets were accurately interpreted, or a reflection of what he actually thought about Canada. He was mad at Winter.

It has to be Ruiz. I had never seen a second half sub get subbed out until Ruiz did it. Think of the level of disrespect you have to show to have that happen to you.

I have to agree. Ruiz never put forth a sincere effort and made it quite clear he didn't want to be here during his brief tenure.

trane
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM

It could have been a great combo, in the first two-three years, had Dichio stayed healthy and cunny stayed focused, we could have played a simple 4-4-1-1 type system, played simple football, route one type stuff, and had some sucess. But with Dichio out, and Cunny just seeming not too give a shit, it went to shit.

I still remember him not being able to just push the ball foward the line in the Montreal game at BMO, it was 6 inces to a foot, still infront of him, and he tried to put it to his right foot instead of just pushing it forward those couple of inches.

Roogsy
12-02-2011, 11:08 AM

I don't hate shit players, especially if they put in effort and simply don't have the pedigree, their judgement is a loss of a job.

So I can't understand why anyone would hate Lombardo. He wanted to be here, tried his ass off while he was here and was lucky enough to be managed by Mo. What he could have produced under another manager is anyone's guess but I can't understand the hate for this guy.

Roogsy
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Re Cunningham, I put this post up in the MLS Cup thread last year:

When he came here he was initially paired with Dichio (the "fast and the furious"), and they looked like dynamite. Cunny got tons of chances, did score a bit, probably should have had a few more, but they were only together for maybe 8 games before he and DD (and O'Brien and everyone else) got hurt midsummer. (Painful to think that the June 2007 team might have been our best team so far.)

Cunny was supposed to be done for the year in 2007, he had hernia surgery, but he actually came back for a few games at the end of 2007. It seemed dumb, the season was done by then. Part of it was, while Cunny was out, Mo implied in a press conference that Cunny was being a diva about the injury and was staying out too long. Who knows, but we certainly can say that many credible players, such as Robbo, have been unusually willing to go public with their grievances with Mo, so we know Mo played rough. In any case, it seems to me that a hernia operation is a serious thing, and Cunny coming back at all that year, for a last place team, says positive things, not negative things, about his attitude.

Next year Carver comes in. First game, Cunny wins a PK, but Carver lets Samuel take it. Cunny is pissed and the infamous series of photos showing him with his hands on his hips during and after the missed PK come out afterwards. That's when the hate for him really started around here. But it has to be said, while he shouldn't have done that, Cunny was right to be pissed - time has shown that Carver was an idiot for favouring Samuel over Cunny.

The story for the rest of Cunny's short stay here is more about Carver than Cunny. Carver completely misused Cunny. He used him as a lone striker in a 4-5-1 which no one else has done with the guy before or since. It was obviously dumb. It played a huge role in Cunny's lack of production here in 2008.

As for the missed sitter against Montreal, what can you say? Strikers miss sitters. It happens. Carver calling him out publicly after the game made us feel better, but it's just more evidence of where the problem really was - it wasn't something a good manager does.

As for the bad attitude rap, what's the compelling evidence for that? Putting your hands on your hips? Didier Drogba does that. I think Cunny is a bit of a goofball and a strange guy, RSL ran him off, I know, and he said some weird things to the media here, but did Cunny really stop trying? Or was he just frustrated at the lack of service in a hopeless formation/situation? I think the general love-in with Carver at the time seriously clouded our view of the truth.

TFC supporters, what I am saying is this: like everyone else associated with TFC, we were wrong about they guy. He was, until this year, a great scorer, and both Mo and Carver blew it with him. We piled on and helped make it easy for those guys to get rid of him, rather than addressing the real problem with the team at that time. We were blinded by Mo's initial success at bringing in players, which seems more lucky than smart now, and by Carver's seeming (but not actual) competence.

There's no reason to hate Jeff Cunningham, then or now.

I am feeling this post.

I never really hated Cunny...but I never judged anyone else for hating him. It was a big of bad luck, bad timing and bad decisions by many involved that made Cunny's time with us a failure.

In my eyes, Cunny is also one of Carver's biggest failures. And I liked Carver. But he screwed the pooch on the Cunny issue. He totally mismanaged the relationship and to me a good manager is one that can manage the players in the lockerroom.

Roogsy
12-02-2011, 11:13 AM
hard to pick between cuntingham and jake "redneck shithead" peterson but his goal in the CCL last year means jacob is spared

ONE goal helps you spare a player? LOL!

TFC OZZ
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Colin Samuel or Cunningham for me

Cashcleaner
12-02-2011, 11:16 AM
"Lastly, fuck the Lombardo haters! (though I know there aren't any so far on this thread) Of all the players I've ever met and had a good talk with, he was by far the friendliest and most enthusiastic. We talk a lot about heart and loyalty and all the non-skill aspects of a player that we like and he epitomized all of the best in my opinion."

This might come as a shock to you, but quite a lot of people care about some of the more intangible aspects of a player's performance that don't really have a dedicated stat-line.

ensco
12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
This might come as a shock to you, but quite a lot of people care about some of the more intangible aspects of a player's performance that don't really have a dedicated stat-line.

Yes. Plus a player who isn't good enough, who should be blamed for that? The player, or the person that selected him?

Roogsy
12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
If our hate solely resides on players who weren't good enough, we should be hating A LOT of players that wore the red and grey.

And the players that did perform, we should be loving them to death, and yet we don't. Obviously this measure does not work.

Canary10
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Lombardo spent more time trying to look the part of a footballer than actually being one. I have a visceral reaction to long hair footballers with a string to hold it in place who are pussies. (That last part is what saves Frings).

Cashcleaner
12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Yes. Plus a player who isn't good enough, who should be blamed for that? The player, or the person that selected him?

Yep.

If our hate solely resides on players who weren't good enough, we should be hating A LOT of players that wore the red and grey.

And the players that did perform, we should be loving them to death, and yet we don't. Obviously this measure does not work.

And yep.

And as an aside, I want to change my vote to PAUL DICOV. I know he never actually played for us, but for like three years people would be throwing his name around as "the next big signing" despite the mountain of evidence that:

a) he's not really that good anymore

and,

b) despite Mo Johnston's poor decision-making, even he wouldn't sign a injury-prone bench warmer in his late 30s.

I mean it seemed like every other fucking day it was Dicov this and Dicov that. So yes, thanks to these boards, I HATE PAUL DICOV! :D

Canary10
12-02-2011, 11:43 AM
So a player's lack of skill isn't a reason for hating them? That seems odd.

Oldtimer
12-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I think the attitude problems went both ways with Cunningham and Carver.

Sure, maybe Cunningham should have taken the PK over the Pieman (although he was in a scoring drought at the time, if I remember correctly). But any good character player sucks it up and goes with what the manager wants. Cunningham sulked instead.

Cashcleaner
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Exactly! Now you've got it. Sure it's odd, but yeah, you've hit the nail on the head.

Because you can teach skills and whip someone into shape physically all you want, but it's all for nought if a person doesn't have the motivation or initiative to be the best they can be.

Canary10
12-02-2011, 11:50 AM
The question was, which ex-TFC players do you hate the most. The players I hate the most are the ones that suck the most. Garcia was my vote. Lombardo is only marginally better than him. You can have your criteria, I have mine. WTF.

trane
12-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Are we talking about anyone in particullar???? hmmm.

ensco
12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Cunningham sulked instead.

Is there evidence of this? Or did it just seem that way?

Cashcleaner
12-02-2011, 12:21 PM
The question was, which ex-TFC players do you hate the most. The players I hate the most are the ones that suck the most. Garcia was my vote. Lombardo is only marginally better than him. You can have your criteria, I have mine. WTF.

And that's fine that you have a different measuring stick to go by. My original point was that many people place a large emphasis on a player's drive and desire to win but may not apply that evenly. If you're making your choice just going by the numbers that's fine as long as you're doing it across the board.

I got no problem with your criteria, but I think you might be in the minority as many others here do consider other aspects of a player's performance.

Canary10
12-02-2011, 12:35 PM
^Well, Garcia's got a lot votes...

Mr. Bigby
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Totally woulda voted Harmse if he was up there. But he's not so it's got be Cunny (with Ruiz close behind)

That's what the "other" button is for...

Redcoe15
12-03-2011, 02:42 AM
So I can't understand why anyone would hate Lombardo. He wanted to be here, tried his ass off while he was here and was lucky enough to be managed by Mo. What he could have produced under another manager is anyone's guess but I can't understand the hate for this guy.
This!!!

When I watched him play in 2007, I saw a guy that was working his ass off but was completely out of his element because of how green he was. If TFC Academy had existed back then, Lombardo would have been given time to develop and showed what he was capable of. Instead, he was thrown to the wolves, and suffered greatly for it. I can still see his attempted shot on goal at home against LA. A touch more seasoning and it would have been easily in the net.

Roogsy
12-03-2011, 12:14 PM
^Well, Garcia's got a lot votes...

Garcia was a top, consistent player in this league for many years. We got him in his final years when age caught up with him. We are essentially hating him for his age and the bad deal Mo struck to get him. The hate for him is understandable but unfair. To me, hate is something earned through disrespect or lack of character. I never got that feeling from Nick.

Canary10
12-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Garcia was a top, consistent player in this league for many years. We got him in his final years when age caught up with him. We are essentially hating him for his age and the bad deal Mo struck to get him. The hate for him is understandable but unfair. To me, hate is something earned through disrespect or lack of character. I never got that feeling from Nick.

Can we not get into a debate about whether someone's own, personal, individual criteria for why they hate a player is legitimate or not? Fuck. This thread was fun for all of five minutes.

Canary10
12-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Ok. Upon reflection, hating Lombardo isn't just about how incredibly bad he is as a footballer (and was in the under 19 World Cup too incidentally, not just at TFC). It's also about his stupid long hair string head band thing too. If he spent as much time trying to be a footballer as looking the part of a footballer then he might actually be one. He didn't earn the right to dress like a goof on the pitch.

Incidentally. Peri Marosevic is going dangerously close into that territory. Get rid of the fucking pussy faux hawk and flourescent boots and concentrate on playing some consistent football!

jloome
12-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Dude, I honestly mean no disrespect here, but that sounds like you lack empathy for others.

Where is the logic in hating someone for something they don't control?

People pick those they "hate" pretty carefully, as opposed to just passionate antagonism. They're two different things. Hate is usually based in something deep and tangible, often something that indicates there's no logical reason left to like them AND they're prick on top of it.

In other words, you hate someone WITH a passion. The passion (the emotional response) follows the hatred (the rationalized dislike).

I'm pretty sure I'm not off base in saying it would seem odd to most people that you find this "odd."

Roogsy
12-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Ok. Upon reflection, hating Lombardo isn't just about how incredibly bad he is as a footballer (and was in the under 19 World Cup too incidentally, not just at TFC). It's also about his stupid long hair string head band thing too. If he spent as much time trying to be a footballer as looking the part of a footballer then he might actually be one. He didn't earn the right to dress like a goof on the pitch.

Incidentally. Peri Marosevic is going dangerously close into that territory. Get rid of the fucking pussy faux hawk and flourescent boots and concentrate on playing some consistent football!

Oh the hair? I can totally understand the hatred. LOL.

For the record he now has short hair.

Pookie
12-04-2011, 08:24 AM
. To me, hate is something earned through disrespect or lack of character.

Oh, I couldn't have said that better myself. I thought about saying "me first" guys who put their own agenda before team but I like the way you put it.

Totally justifies my selection. ;)

ecospice
12-04-2011, 09:18 AM
This was a hard choice, for which I blame Mo Johnston. I think the player that hurt us the most for the longest was Garcia.

Cunningham was awful, but he didn't get into enough games or stay on the roster long enough to hurt the team too much. Garcia started many games, exhibited poor play, and it was during a time when the team was starting to come into its own and contend for the playoffs (or at least we thought/hoped we were contending). The Cunningham season always had little hope of making the playoffs or contending.

DeRo's antics with the cheque signing gesture was deplorable, but his play definitely didn't hurt the team the way Garcia's did - heck, DeRo was likely our best player during his entire tenure with the team.

So, on my 'rationale', I picked Garcia. He hurt the team the most for the longest.

Roogsy
12-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Oh, I couldn't have said that better myself. I thought about saying "me first" guys who put their own agenda before team but I like the way you put it.

Totally justifies my selection. ;)

Ugh really? We're all trying to move on but you just wont let it go. Do you want me to answer so later on you can accuse me of bringing him up?

Here's a newsflash, all players put themselves first. Making it public doesn't change anything with the team's performance and saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.

ensco
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Do those who voted Dero remember the gesture he made in his last game here, where he missed the post-game news conference to go to the corner to get a banner memorial for a supporter that had passed way, and have it signed by the whole team? Do they remember that he scored half our goals while he was here? That he wanted to be here? Just wondering.

Not looking for another Dero thread. But Dero being 4th on this list, is amazing.

Canary10
12-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Oh the hair? I can totally understand the hatred. LOL.

For the record he now has short hair.

Thank you! And thanks to everyone who made me re-examine the roots of my hatred.

Beach_Red
12-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Do those who voted Dero remember the gesture he made in his last game here, where he missed the post-game news conference to go to the corner to get a banner memorial for a supporter that had passed way, and have it signed by the whole team? Do they remember that he scored half our goals while he was here? That he wanted to be here? Just wondering.

Not looking for another Dero thread. But Dero being 4th on this list, is amazing.

Not that anyone should, but if you slogged through any of those DeRo threads it's not amazing at all.

What's amazing is that no one bought MLSE, these must be the easiest sports teams to own in the world...

ensco
12-04-2011, 01:14 PM
What's amazing is that no one bought MLSE, these must be the easiest sports teams to own in the world...

As an experiment, someone should put a classified in the paper to sell his/her car. Make sure everyone knows right in the listing that, even if they like your car, a neighbour has the right to match any offer. Then see how many people trudge out to your house to even see the car, let alone make a good offer.

Beach_Red
12-04-2011, 01:44 PM
As an experiment, someone should put a classified in the paper to sell his/her car. Make sure everyone knows right in the listing that, even if they like your car, a neighbour has the right to match any offer. Then see how many people trudge out to your house to even see the car, let alone make a good offer.

Some of the potential buyers might talk to the neighbour first and work out a deal. It might even take place in a back room, you know, if someone really wanted to buy the car...

TFCRegina
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Are we talking about anyone in particullar???? hmmm.

Stefan Frei. He has his haters out there. You know it's true.

ensco
12-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Some of the potential buyers might talk to the neighbour first and work out a deal. It might even take place in a back room, you know, if someone really wanted to buy the car...

True.

The neighbour might be crazy, though.

TFCtoMUFC
12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
LOL at the people that hate players for sucking. It wasn't Garcia's fault he was old, slow and overpaid. It was Mo Johnston's fault for signing a guy who's old, slow and overpaid. Hate players because they don't care, or are complete assholes.

Razcle
12-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Hard to hate someone that donned a Red jersey and played at least a few minutes supporting the cause. Many of the list frustrated me to no end though.

Pookie
12-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Ugh really? We're all trying to move on but you just wont let it go. Do you want me to answer so later on you can accuse me of bringing him up?

Here's a newsflash, all players put themselves first. Making it public doesn't change anything with the team's performance and saying it over and over again doesn't make it true.

Note that I never stated who I voted for. I just talked about selfishness and "me first" attitude as being something that I don't admire. Good assumption on your part though.

ensco, it was a terrific gesture. No one is 100% bad... or 100% good. DeRo as a person might be a little different than DeRo as Team Captain. The latter is where I am not at all surprised at his 4th place in the list.

ensco
12-04-2011, 10:47 PM
ensco, it was a terrific gesture. No one is 100% bad... or 100% good. DeRo as a person might be a little different than DeRo as Team Captain. The latter is where I am not at all surprised at his 4th place in the list.

This "armband" stuff is mostly a fiction, a media/fan construct...for me, the captaincy isn't that relevant.

I wanted him out after the cheque signing thing. I didn't like what he did. But I just think hating him is wrong, and says something bad about us. But hate him?

I just think about all the people who wouldn't come, or hated it here (remember them all from season one? Nagamura, Mulrooney, Casey....). Those players are on my list.

Dero wears the Canadian flag with pride, it probably got him traded out of NY. Plus he was and is a gamer, a special talent.

RicoSuave44
12-05-2011, 03:55 AM
One player I loved (didn't wanna start a new thread for this) was Marvell Wynne.. and I saw him in Toronto tonight at a bar!
Totally wanted to fanboy him but didn't. Assume he's in town to visit the company he was with, but couldn't help wishing he was back for business. Sigh.. I know he doesn't fit into our current system but I really appreciate the good he did while he was here.

Cheers to you Marvell and all the best in your career!

brad
12-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Cunny for me. Disliked him as a player, but his comments about "the prodigal son returning" pushed it over the edge for me.

Oldtimer
12-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't get why we even have a thread about "hating" ex-players. Most clubs don't have collections of "hated" players, with the exception of those who go to a hated rival for more $$$, case in point Mo Johnston Celtic/Rangers.

It must be a Toronto thing. :rolleyes:

I prefer to focus on appreciating the players we have.

Hitcho
12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Robert ... did chase down balls, he did run hard. I disagree completely that he didn't put in effort.

We must have watched two different players. My only memory of Robert's "effort" was the amount of effort he put into throwing his hands in the air and moaning.

To me, only Peterson deserves outright contempt. He's the only guy who shit on our team after leaving. So fuck the useless little college has-been. I've got guys in my rec league who outplay that useless piece of shit.

Now this, I agree with you on. I met JP at the end of season bash before we let him go and he was a super nice guy, really likied him after that - he even won me over after his indifferent/utterly shit performances for much of the season. But his leaving spat - what a fucking pathetic, insular, racist, small-minded cunt. He can go fuck himself.

EDIT - appreciate the thread title and the need to make the list as broad as possible to account for everyone's personal taste, but Lombardo? Seriously? He was out of his depth but a local lad who tried hard and loved being able ot play for his local club. There's nothing to hate about that guy. Although aside from Jacob Peterson and his pissing contest, I don't hate any ex-TFC players (although Cunty does come close, I admit).

trane
12-05-2011, 11:19 AM
^ I said cunny, but hate is probably too strong. I certianly have not like for the guy and was glad when he was gone. He had no love and commitment for the team.

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
^ I said cunny, but hate is probably too strong. I certianly have not like for the guy and was glad when he was gone. He had no love and commitment for the team.

Something to note, and it's something that hasn't been mentioned here much yet.

At what point is it the team's responsibility to show loyalty to a player as well? In most relationships, loyalty and commitment is a two-way street, and yet for the most part we have seen this team mistreat and disrespect players left, right and centre. And yet it's the players we hate?

Gazza
12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Harmse

Shoot, i picked Adam Braz but i meant Kevin Harmse! Sorry Adam.

Gazza
12-05-2011, 11:30 AM

At what point is it the team's responsibility to show loyalty to a player as well? In most relationships, loyalty and commitment is a two-way street, and yet for the most part we have seen this team mistreat and disrespect players left, right and centre. And yet it's the players we hate?

Sounds like someone wants to start a poll to see which MLSE exec(s) is the most hated...

Roogsy
12-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I don't think that one will be a difficult one to answer unless Mo is assumed and we debate who is the "next most hated". LOL!

trane
12-05-2011, 11:40 AM

If I get going on the FO, I will never end. I have no love for the MLSE period. I think their corporate culture is all wrong to build a great football club.

Yohan
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM

Andrea Lombardo
Current club: SC Toronto (Canada)
Lombardo's most recent shining moment came in 2010, when he scored a late goal in a CSL playoff game and took the opportunity to shush a few dozen TFC fans who'd spent the majority of the match heckling him. Fisticuffs ensued at the final whistle. Yup.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2500-Where-are-they-now-Canada-s-2007-U20-squad

Seems some people really hate him

Fort York Redcoat
12-06-2011, 08:44 AM

It's more interesting focusing on players. We spend more time watching them literally than "keeping an eye" on management. It's important to keep up with a clubs moves but hardly why we're here.

I mean, one doesn't see many hits on youtube of a manager making the call to sign or trade a player but we can watch players goasl or mistakes replays all day long.

FootieChick
12-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I laughed so hard when Garcia got popped in the chops and dropped like a sack of potatoes. So yeah, Id have to say Garcia.

^^ This! LOL... I don't hate the guy, but he was freakin' useless!

Pookie
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
It's more interesting focusing on players. We spend more time watching them literally than "keeping an eye" on management. It's important to keep up with a clubs moves but hardly why we're here.

I mean, one doesn't see many hits on youtube of a manager making the call to sign or trade a player but we can watch players goasl or mistakes replays all day long.

Besides, lately most of the comments regarding management (not saying MLSE) have been positive. JDG is a walking testament to the power of positive thinking. Many youngsters, like Plata and Morgan, are ecstatic for the opportunity to play here.

Seems like the culture change was successful. All it took were a few trades.

celt-nick
12-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I still to this day have a picture of cunningham on a pilon in my garage. Me and a few of the durham guys used to yell at it while watching away games!

SilverSamurai
12-08-2011, 11:54 PM
+1

"dis-"Honourable mention goes out to Rowan Ricketts. Was too busy promoting a shirt, club event or some kind of new show instead of practising and worry about his football game.

J .
12-09-2011, 04:17 AM

fact

bertal
12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
garcia took a punch for the team. a legend in my eyes...

bones
12-11-2011, 01:59 PM
*hands on the hips* Cuntingham.

Wull
12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
ONE goal helps you spare a player? LOL!

I had to have a tie-breaker Roogs, they both push my buttons no end and that one thing of beauty is the only good memory I have of peterson so it kind of stands out a bit more

zeelaw
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Cunningham is the obvious choice...

Why have people voted for Barrett? Gargan? Velez?

Glad Wynne has 0 votes. I was pissed to see him in the poll..

Remember the south end cheering for him in the MLS cup final?

Juanito
12-12-2011, 01:10 PM
^^

I liked Wynne. I was sad to see him leave. I doubt anyone has ill-feelings towards him. He tried, and he never asked to leave, he was shipped out.

Carefree
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I wonder if the results of this poll will shift once Andy Iro becomes an ex TFC player.

Toronto_Bhoy
12-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I wish Mo's name was on the list...

MartinUtd
12-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Really surprised Ruiz has only 5%, although I completely understand the near majority going for Cunningham. Don't understand the Mista hate though. Under-performing and being injury prone is one thing, but being a total premadonna dick is a lot worse IMO.

backbeat
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
hate seems to be a tad too strong for my liking...

some players abilities may have pissed me off or frustrated me and certainly quotes after the fact like Peterson's show a huge ignorance and immaturity, but i really can't say i hate any of them

glad to see the door slam behind them...yes....but hate? i don't think so...

why would i hate anyone who wore our red unless they purposely did something to defame it?

CSO_BBTB
12-14-2011, 05:10 AM
Hate is way too strong a word because judging players isn't about personal dislike for me but it has to be Andy Welsh and the whole bizarre he's from the Premiership so he must be good enough for MLS cult that surrounded him. Total waste of space as a winger in MLS and one of the first indications that Mo Johnston didn't have a clue when it came to signing players from overseas (trades and drafts involving players from an NCAA/MLS background were what kept him going for so long).

celt-nick
12-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I still to this day have a picture of cunningham on a pilon in my garage. Me and a few of the durham guys used to yell at it while watching away games!

Lol was looking at my player pilon in the garage and saw that Harmse's picture is still on it as well!!

devioustrevor
12-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I voted for Cunningham, but it was tough to choose between him and Barrett. Both squandered so many chances that if they converted such chances at the same rate as a league average striker we'd probably have seen a couple playoff appearances by now.

I eventually chose Cunningham because at least Barrett scored that goal in the "Miracle in Montreal" game to put us into the Champions League.

twistedchinaman
12-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Most of these are very hate-worthy. I had forgotten all about the horror that was Nick Garcia and voted for DeRo...now I wish I could change it.

Cuntingham is pretty bad, but Garcia has this bad attitude AND sucks super monkey balls...I have to go with Garcia.

twistedchinaman
12-22-2011, 11:15 PM
+1

"dis-"Honourable mention goes out to Rowan Ricketts. Was too busy promoting a shirt, club event or some kind of new show instead of practising and worry about his football game.

^ Very hateable offenses. Surprised he didn't hit this list...

SilverSamurai
12-23-2011, 12:33 AM
^ Very hateable offenses. Surprised he didn't hit this list...
Someone had to say it...lol

Although when he got his 2 goals they were nice but talk about hot and cold!

Oldtimer
12-23-2011, 07:59 AM
You know, no matter how much Cunningham may have been "misunderstood," him missing the sitter that cost us the Voyageurs Cup in 2008 is something that is very hard to forget. Neither is what followed:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fi3NgcLGLh8/SaMcG00iZQI/AAAAAAAAAW8/zmevU90KO7Y/s400/610x.jpg

Seeing those guys celebrate beating us at home is something that is very hard to forget.

Heart of Stone
12-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Why do so many people hate Derosario?

swan
12-25-2011, 09:42 PM
please lets not go over this again

Pookie
12-27-2011, 05:25 PM
^ am I correct in assuming that DC United have exercised the 2012 option for this player but that all talk of DP/contract extension/change in terms have yet to be agreed upon?