PDA

View Full Version : Ticketmaster = scum

ag futbol
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Just heard on CBC news they are appealing to a number of provinces to repeal their scalping laws so they can sell more tickets through their "ticketsnow" website.

tfc_4_ever
07-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Bull Shit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

werewolf
07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
then let's appeal to our parliamentary representatives right back.

Nestease
07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Some background info for those who are not sure what this is about. This is just off the top of my head from reading online in the last couple months.

Ticketmaster buys TicketsNow ("legal" ticket scalping site)
Radiohead Concert is "sold out" from the first second they are available. Ticketmaster redirects people to their Ticketsnow website where they can buy tickets at scalper prices.
Ticketmaster is now scalping tickets they have full control over.

It was bad enough they charged you multiple "bullshit" fees when buying tickets.

yellowfellow
07-09-2008, 06:20 PM
This is what happens when there is a monopoly...

Next time we get a double decker, we should drive past their office and let our voice be heard!

Batman
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
That is seriously wrong.

Tickets to most events are tough to come by. Add the ticketmaster charges and they are nuts.

Now if you add in this scam they could scalp any number they wanted.
Really bad!

Send in Domin8r and Jack to kick their asses.

Hooligan69
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
TicketBastard has always been such a suitable name.

NF-FC
07-09-2008, 07:18 PM
so ticketmaster is appealing to charge whatever they feel like for any event??? thats fucking wrong on so many levels

Red CB Toronto
07-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Is ticketsnow like stubhub, which has agreements with various pro leagues where individual people sell tickets that have already been bought.

Laurie79
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow I often wondered how on earth a triple-date show would sell out instantly! I had no clue Ticketmaster was responsible for that other site. It seems they're untouchable tho, much-loved artists have tried and failed to kill these guys. pigs the lot of them.

I will figure out which of my governmental constituency part time office assistants to bug about this one...

Kickit09
07-09-2008, 08:36 PM
im never using ticket master again

sully
07-09-2008, 08:44 PM
what's more disturbing? the fact that they can get away with it..or the fact that the people allow them to..

Roogsy
07-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I refuse to pay scalped prices for anything...I dont care if its something I want to see more than anything. I am proud that I have never contributed to their legally fucking the consumer.

If I dont pay near face value...I dont go. Plain and simple. And if people thought more like that and weren't willing to pay, we wouldn't have this problem. So people are essentially screwing themselves by willingly bending over and taking it up the pipes. I refuse.

heather
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Some background info for those who are not sure what this is about. This is just off the top of my head from reading online in the last couple months.

Ticketmaster buys TicketsNow ("legal" ticket scalping site)
Radiohead Concert is "sold out" from the first second they are available. Ticketmaster redirects people to their Ticketsnow website where they can buy tickets at scalper prices.
Ticketmaster is now scalping tickets they have full control over.

It was bad enough they charged you multiple "bullshit" fees when buying tickets.

That is complete bullshit. I had no clue it had gotten that bad! Thanks for the heads up

It was quite the relief seeing Ministry in Montreal a few months ago and NOT have to buy from ticketmaster :D

DavydMT
07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
i know this will receive some negative feedback, but

scalping should be legal, if people are stupid to pay triple the price for the ticket let them. just like any other industry it is driven by supply and demand, if it is out in an open at least government can tax it.

prices are high not because of scalpers, teams, artists and promoters are the once to blame.

and allot of time you can get a much better price using scalpers.

make it legal and tax it.

still ticketmaster is bs, but not because of scalping -- talk to teams and artists not your mps

Roogsy
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
^Fine...make it legal.

But then they should make the monopoly that Ticketmaster has illegal. So that there is more fair competition for obtaining tickets at their face value more dispersed. As it is...even if you tried everything possible to get tickets at face value, you never can. So the consumer is assured to have to pay inflated prices to agents that have nothing to do with the venue or performer but can buy up almost all the tickets. People are making money simply because they have the money to invest in systems that shut the consumer out, how is that good for the consumer? That should be illegal. Plain and simple. If people did that for stocks...the government would never allow it. But because it's entertainment, the government looks the other way.

DavydMT
07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
anybody can enter this market as far as i know and creat an online ticket site, Mirvish family has TicketKing, a very good site and with lesser convenience charge. So it is up to a venues or promoters if the use ticketmaster or not, and for them it's much better to use ticketmaster. The system is secure, easy to use and provied great expose for the performances and events.

werewolf
07-09-2008, 10:03 PM
scalping wouldn't be as much of a problem if the scums didn't use programs to screw regular people out of tickets. If everyone had a fair shot, and scalpers bought a few extras, then thats the way it goes. But cheating people out of a fair shot and buying bulk is inexcusable.

Wagner
07-09-2008, 10:08 PM
ticketmaster's days are numbered...someone is going to figure out how to text you a code to your cell phone....
also, how hard is it to set up a barcode generating program....and email them out...some tech-minded kids will find a solution...and get rich...and level the playing field for the rest of us.

VPjr
07-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I've never understood why sports teams don't manage their own ticketing. It strikes me that they are leaving a lot of money on the table. What Ticketmaster offers is not exactly cutting edge technology.

DavydMT
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
^ Agree. I have no idea why MLSE are using ticketmaster system, i guess it makes business sense to use an outside company to hand tickets.

Shaughno
07-10-2008, 07:34 AM
^^ One less thing they have to worry about. I'm sure it sounds appealing when you're trying to set up a team and TM comes in and says, look we'll do everything for you for a minimal cost. Don't worry about it.

ACSertL
07-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Just heard on CBC news they are appealing to a number of provinces to repeal their scalping laws so they can sell more tickets through their "ticketsnow" website.

That is the point that strikes me the hardest...they are just so brazen about calling themselves scalpers! To quote Maynard James Keenan "what became of subtlety"?

Shaughno
07-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Fuck, I was having a good morning and now all I can think about is these cunts.

FUCK TICKETMASTER

jabbronies
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
What's to stop ticketmaster from just taking all of their tickets, saying that their sold out, and then just putting them on their scalping site and selling all tickets for double, triple the price??

Unfortunatly the only people that can make a change are the people we're going to see - TFC, Radiohead, Coldplay, etc.

Steve
07-10-2008, 09:29 AM
^ Agree. I have no idea why MLSE are using ticketmaster system, i guess it makes business sense to use an outside company to hand tickets.

Honestly, it's starting to make less and less sense. When Ticketmaster was first around, events didn't want to have to deal with printing tickets/distribution/materials/staff needed/etc. It made sense from a business point of view to go through a third party that specialized in all of that. Now, however, with the way the business is going, the only thing Ticketmaster adds is exposure (and the internet is even compensating for that with the multitude of online communities people participate in). Other than that, you can almost get away with 0 staff (automated website), 0 ticket production/distribution (print to order), 0 raw materials (printed on customers own paper) etc. With a simple website, a secure payment method (easy to get these days), an intern graphical artist to design tickets, and a barcode generator, you are good to go. The 9 dollar Ticketmaster charge and 2.50 charge to print your ticket out (seriously? you're charging me to use my own printer?) is an outdated business model. Ticketmaster will either fall to technological advances, or have to change their strategy.

Oh, and a further comment on the exposure point. Though today, Ticketmaster is pretty much necessary to get the exposure you need to run an event, if event organisers started taking over, you would see technology fill the roll. Basically, a "Ticketcrawler" website would be set up. Every event organiser would just submit the event info/link to their ordering process to the new ticketcrawler site, and the site would be set up essentially how ticketmaster is now. It could be easily run on ad revenue with the number of hits it could get (assuming it could become the premier ticket finding site around. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Google itself stepped in).

Lucky Strike
07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
The 9 dollar Ticketmaster charge and 2.50 charge to print your ticket out (seriously? you're charging me to use my own printer?) is an outdated business model.

Yeah! 2.50$ for using my own printer, they ought to be paying me! I bought two tickets for an event I the following fees were added:

Facility Charge of 1.75$ (x2)
Covenience Charge of 10.00$ (x2)
Delivery fee of 2.50$ (for printing at home, WTF?)
Order Processing Fee of 4.25$

The two tickets cost me 80.00$ and the fees total 30.00$. That means those fees add up to 37.5% to my ticket price! That's insane but people have no choice. It's a good thing that it becomes relatively cheaper when you buy more (a scales of purchasing I guess) because if I had bought a single ticket, the fees would have amounted to 18.50$ or 46%. Why is there both a covenience fee and an order processing fee? The way they're worded it's the same thing! A fee for using their site! And what's a facility charge?!?!? Aren't I already paying to enter the premises?

I hate Ticketmaster so much.

End venting here.

Carts
07-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I begining to think Ticketmaster is worse than scalpers...

They're basically "scalping" tickets with all these rediculous service charges ($2.50 for using my own printer???)...

At least scalpers (the scum they are) aren't hiding the fact they're bumping up the price and sticking it to us...

I hate'em both!
Carts...

DavydMT
07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
^^ some info on TM from Wikipedia:

Major League Baseball's acquisition of rival Tickets.com in 2005 marks the most significant organization moving away from using Ticketmaster's services. Other event promoters are expected to follow suit, such as Live Nation which will sell tickets directly through its site when their Ticketmaster contract expires.

Let's hope new boss is not just like an old one. A very informative discussion.

DavydMT
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM
if i buy tickets at BMO box office, what fees do i pay?

Bars92
07-12-2008, 02:02 AM
I buy my tickets off of e-bay, stubhub and scalpers. Anything thats not directly from the owners..Thats how I roll.

Sonny Cheeba
07-12-2008, 02:33 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/ticket_takers/

yeah.. ticketmaster are a bunch of douchebags. they always have been, even before ticketsnow.