PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Nov.21

denime
11-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Reds Reveal Protected List (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/11/reds-reveal-protected-list)

Houston Joins Toronto At Disney (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/11/houston-joins-toronto-disney)

Dobson: MLS Entering a new era (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/11/21/dobson_blog/)

Montreal prepares for expansion draft (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2011/11/21/mls_expansion/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

shutupkid
11-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Wow. We protected Iro. Didn't see that coming.

TorCanSoc
11-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Matt Stinson not in either column? Did I miss some news about him?

*Edit: Never mind, local home growns cannot be selected.

Oldtimer
11-22-2011, 08:03 AM
NCAA moves to cut spring soccer:

http://www.examiner.com/soccer-in-national/d1-college-soccer-jeopardy-as-ncaa-moves-to-eliminate-spring-competition

Overall, the recommendation appears a misguided attempt to improve academic performance by targeting the wrong sports, sports with academically high-performing students instead of sports like football and basketball, which have a long history of academic violations.

If this proposal is passed, it makes it even more clear that for a someone who wants to get into the pro game, an MLS academy is now a much better option than going to a U.S. college. It also means that fewer and fewer good players are going to end up in the SuperDraft. So TFC is going in the right direction to pour so much money into the academy.

Technorgasm
11-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Iro has made a couple of really bad mistakes.
but I dont think he is a poor defender. . . Not sure why he is the new TFC whipping boy. . . Glad he is staying.

now. . Plata?

ag futbol
11-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't understand why we've protected two terrible centrebacks and left the other two exposed. Maybe Cann shows up on the other side because of salary, but Williams?

What is going on here?

Nuvinho
11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
maybe with Cann and Williams, their contract amounts are higher for next year. I know Williams was on $50K, but that could be a prorated number from $100K. Cann was making $124K, but probably is going to make a lot more this year.

__wowza
11-22-2011, 09:01 AM
mornin d.. STACHE.
jesus christ, where'd you park your time machine!?

mine looks nowhere near that impressive.

Ageroo
11-22-2011, 09:18 AM
mornin d.. STACHE.

Alright my day can start......this comment just made my day...too funny :D

denime
11-22-2011, 09:41 AM
mornin d.. STACHE.

LOL

I wish I know were my time machine is so I can go back to '70.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't understand why we've protected two terrible centrebacks and left the other two exposed. Maybe Cann shows up on the other side because of salary, but Williams?

What is going on here?

suspect it could be one of two things

- the injuries are more severe than originally thought
- Winter/Mariner believe Harden/Iro will play much better next to a commanding CB

i gotta admit it surprised me too however i do have faith in the FO to sort out our CB situation. Dont forget Cann is also 31.
I like him but do think we have overrated him and his time at TFC.

On the other hand I have liked what little i saw from Williams

Wull
11-22-2011, 10:52 AM
I'll take Cann and Williams over iro and harden, especially in Winter's vision of playing from the back. Unless he has two new CBs lined up and Iro and Harden are there for cover, I don't see the thinking behind it

Strikers
11-22-2011, 10:57 AM
According to my twitter feed Montreal has made quite a few backroom deals with other MLS clubs and that's the reason for some of these protected lists being what they are

Ageroo
11-22-2011, 11:01 AM
On the other hand I have liked what little i saw from Williams

me too....and he is only 25. Maybe his rehab from injury isn't on track right now and TFC assuming Montreal will take this into consideration.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
me too....and he is only 25. Maybe his rehab from injury isn't on track right now and TFC assuming Montreal will take this into consideration.

yeah, also that hes an international and may cost a bit (how much is his salary)?

Suds
11-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Not much I disagree on with respect to who is and is not protected. You can only choose 11 out of your entire roster.

Winter & Mariner are protecting their core players and leaving those who are on the bubble, minimal impact player, on the way out, coming off injury, or too expensive unprotected. I do not foresee anyone being taken that would impact our roster at all.

TOBOR !
11-22-2011, 11:43 AM
SSG - Brittani 'with an I' wants to be a cheerleader one day and loves to shop for 'hot outfits'.

Awesome.

rocker
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
We can only lose one person too. Does anyone really think that losing one of those possible players would really set us back significantly (not incl. JDG, who I doubt Montreal would select given his massive salary)? I mean, if we lose Cann, we still have Williams. If we lose Williams, we still have Cann.

Also, we need to look at the whole unprotected player list from Montreal's perspective. They can only pick 10 guys. Why would one of two guys who had major injuries be one of their 10 picks? They already have signed a Colombian defender for a starting CB. Cann and Williams may not even be ready to start the season. If you look around the league there are far better and less risky options than these two.

I also see Harden and Iro protected because we just cannot afford to lose any more healthy defenders at this point.

Canary10
11-22-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm no sure any of the 4 are CB solutions. I like Cann, but he's terrible with the ball at his feet. We need a CB (or 2) that can play the ball out from the back. In addition to commanding the D, playing the ball out was one of the things Frings brought to the backline. There's no one there right now confident in doing that, and it's key to Winter's whole game.

I look at the list as good news. Both Ecks and Plata are on it. This suggests to me TFC believes they'll be signed.

Shway
11-22-2011, 12:18 PM
yeah, also that hes an international and may cost a bit (how much is his salary)?

50k.....

i definitely prefer wiliams or harden or iro

Williams Dicoy D $50,004.00 $50,004.00
Harden Ty D $65,000.00 $73,666.67
Cann Adrian D $123,996.00 $132,746.00
Iro Andy D $68,596.00 $87,346.00

Nuvinho
11-22-2011, 12:29 PM
^$50K prorated for last year - we don't know how much he will be making this year.

maninb
11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I hope we don't lose Marosovic or Soolsma....

mowe
11-22-2011, 01:22 PM
^$50K prorated for last year - we don't know how much he will be making this year.

Williams had a one-year 50k contract. He's out of contract as of January 1st, 2012. In the season-ending presser he said he needs about 4 more months of rehab. That would put him returning to training sometime in preseason plus however longer he needs to get back to match fitness. It is this uncertainty that led to him being unprotected. He likely won't be fit by the CCL game, and there's no chance Montreal would take him anyway.

I was also becoming a fan of Williams, I thought he was our best CB last season. Unfortunately his injury was the worst thing that could have happened to one-year contract player. I hope he can recover back to his old form and TFC sign him to another deal (he's not going to cost more than another 50k) because he had a lot of promise. But it doesn't look good because who knows how well he recovers from injury, and TFC will have certainly signed some replacement CB's by the start of the season.

brad
11-22-2011, 01:34 PM
The CB situation makes sense to me.

Harden and Iro are two serviceable backup CB's in the MLS. They are at the right salary point and and they both decent enough to fill in as backup. In this league you have to accept a drop in quality when you go to the depth players, and I think Harden and Iro are fine in that regard.

Leaving Cann and Williams unprotected - my guess is the plan is to replace one or both of them anyway, have doubts about them due to their injuries, or maybe have a backroom deal in place not to touch them.

TFC1154ever
11-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know when Montreal has to draft? Is there a set date?

mastermixer
11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
The CB situation makes sense to me.

Harden and Iro are two serviceable backup CB's in the MLS. They are at the right salary point and and they both decent enough to fill in as backup. In this league you have to accept a drop in quality when you go to the depth players, and I think Harden and Iro are fine in that regard.

Leaving Cann and Williams unprotected - my guess is the plan is to replace one or both of them anyway, have doubts about them due to their injuries, or maybe have a backroom deal in place not to touch them.

Hope you are right... because this would be the best case scenario, since both Iro and Harden are low-cost back ups at best.

Carts
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
I hope we don't lose Marosovic or Soolsma....

Marosovic is the player on the unprotected list that I hoping we don't loose as well...

I'm happy Winter has protected both Frei & Kocic - two solid keepers definitely proved its worth to us this season when Frei was hurt, and the fixture list with CCL picked up...

TFCRegina
11-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Marosovic is the player on the unprotected list that I hoping we don't loose as well...

I'm happy Winter has protected both Frei & Kocic - two solid keepers definitely proved its worth to us this season when Frei was hurt, and the fixture list with CCL picked up...

I'd use one of them as trade material. But before you move him out, you find another promising young keeper to replace him with as a backup.

Move him out for a spare part we could really use. Like a central defender.

Carts
11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd use one of them as trade material. But before you move him out, you find another promising young keeper to replace him with as a backup.

If you have a suitable replacement for backup - absolutely.

But definitely don't let one just get pouched in the expansion draft.

Although, some managers believe to starting caliber keepers is essential to success - perhaps Winter is of that thought?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM

kinda feel like thats whats going to happen

brad
11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Hope you are right... because this would be the best case scenario, since both Iro and Harden are low-cost back ups at best.

They have been pretty clear that strengthening the defense is a priority in the off season. Winter and DeKlerk both explicitly said in the town hall I was at that they are looking to bring in a CB - from within the MLS though.

brad
11-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I think Soolsma is also a great depth player - I hope we don't loose him.

Strans
11-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Echoing others, I think the guy who would be the biggest loss is Peri Marosevic as far as perceived up-side. Soolsma would be a significant depth loss as well, but for a new side I'm not sure he's the kind of player they'd be looking for.

...hopefully neither of them are. :D

Yohan
11-22-2011, 09:26 PM
what the hell? Andy Iro is Everton youth academy product?

Wull
11-23-2011, 10:26 AM
what the hell? Andy Iro is Everton youth academy product?

That is a slur!