PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MLS Expansion Draft

prizby
11-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Protected lists come out today!

Who will TFC protect

MartinUtd
11-21-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm so glad they're halting expansion soon. This draft is one of the more frustrating aspects of the league.

KGH
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Worst case scenario we lose one guy. Whats the big deal?

What time does the list come out?

Nuvinho
11-21-2011, 11:29 AM
normally around 5pm from prior years. The MLS is always slow in releasing the lists.

Canary10
11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
TFC's protected list will give us a really good idea how contract negotions with Plata and Eckersley are going. If they're not protected, probably can assume they're not going to be signable. Also may give us an idea of the extent of Cann and/or Williams injuries and whether Winter sees them as part of the solution at the back. Should be an interesting day.

mowe
11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
^ Yup, should be fun. I'm not worried at all about losing one of our players though. Worst case we might lose someone like Marosevic, but there's got to be someone better left unprotected.

Canary10
11-21-2011, 12:00 PM
^ Yup, should be fun. I'm not worried at all about losing one of our players though. Worst case we might lose someone like Marosevic, but there's got to be someone better left unprotected.

I think Marosevic is still on a Generation Adidas contract, so he's safe.

One thing I'll be interested in seeing is whether we protect JDG. I believe he was left unprotected last year on the theory that no one would be willing to pick up his contract. Proved to be true. Do we take another risk on that one this year?

Also whether we protect both keepers.

Can trades be made now in MLS? There are usually trades on or around the expansion draft, no?

ag futbol
11-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Protect:
-Koevermans
-Frings
-Johnson
-Kocic
-Frei
-Cann
-Williams
-Sturgis
-Eckersley
-Plata
-Avila
-Canadian kids are auto protected as academy products

Frankly, we're not at risk because once you get through our first 11 or so the roster sucks anyways. Dunfield was the only guy I was semi-concerned about fitting on that list but that may not be a problem if the club knows that one of Plata or Eckersley won't be returning. Otherwise I think we can afford to let him go. He's alright, but replaceable and if the rumors are true he's due for a huge salary increase.

Auzzy
11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
^ Why would you protect Sturgis? He barely played, he's obviously not important for the team.

I would definitely protect Soolsma instead.

The need to protect Cann & Williams depends on their injury & recovery status. If they're not recovering quickly, then one or both may be left unprotected. Since Williams is international, he's less likely to be picked up anyway. Of course, this also depends on what other CBs Winter/Mariner might have up their sleeves. If they have some good prospects, then Cann or Williams may be less important.

If the recovery prospects for one of them is not so good, then I might protect Harden instead. He's cheap, and he played fairly well towards the end. Due to his low salary, at least he's good for a trade, or as a backup.

sulfur
11-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Trades can be made as soon as the MLS Cup final is complete.

According to MLS literature, the lists were due to the MLS offices by noonish ET today and will be released by 5pm ET.

prizby
11-21-2011, 12:58 PM
- Frei
- Kocic
- Eckersley
- Plata
- Frings
- Koevermans
- Johnson
- Avila
That's 8
- Cann
- de Guzman
- Marosevic/Dunfield/Soolsma

Auto-Protected:
- Morgan
- Henry
- Makubuya
- Cordon
- Stinson
- Lindsay
- Marosevic (so people seem to be saying, but I thought he was graduating GA this year as he indicated he is in an option year, which would then make him no longer auto-protected)

Yohan
11-21-2011, 02:35 PM
if Impact picks unprotected JDG, sign Rio Ferdinand instead! ;)

Canary10
11-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Apparently lists will be released at 5:00 today. This will tell quite a bit as to where we're at....

TFC John
11-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Has Eckersley been confirmed for next year? If not why bother protecting him? We want to keep him and he wants to play here but why would Montreal risk taking him in the draft if he might be going home to England before next year? If he gets taken and doesn't want to go to Montreal he just tells his agent to send him home. Leaving Dunfield unprotected in order to maybe hold onto Eckersley doesn't make sense to me. Eckersley is better and more valuable to the team but less attractive to Montreal. I say protect Dunfield and hint that Eckersley won't stay anywhere but Toronto.

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
As far as I know (others can help out on this as I'm sure they're more aware), the only two 2011 TFC players whose statuses have changed from the past season are Matt Gold and D.Omphroy and both of them have been released.

Canary10
11-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Has Eckersley been confirmed for next year? If not why bother protecting him? We want to keep him and he wants to play here but why would Montreal risk taking him in the draft if he might be going home to England before next year? If he gets taken and doesn't want to go to Montreal he just tells his agent to send him home. Leaving Dunfield unprotected in order to maybe hold onto Eckersley doesn't make sense to me. Eckersley is better and more valuable to the team but less attractive to Montreal. I say protect Dunfield and hint that Eckersley won't stay anywhere but Toronto.

That was my point earlier. If they don't protect Ecks (and Plata), it's probably safe to assume Winter/Mariner don't think they can sign them. Then the job of building the 2012 team gets much harder.

Auzzy
11-21-2011, 04:35 PM

I think the situation is similar with any player whose contract is expiring & who is not yet signed for next year. I believe the expansion draft gives you the rights to the player -- if you pick him & the player doesn't yet have a contract, then you have to negotiate with the player, and it may not work out.

Winter/Mariner might have a gentlemen's agreement with Montreal, saying -- look, Ecks doesn't want to play in Montreal anyway, we haven't finalized a deal with him yet, we won't protect him, but you promise not to take him in the draft. In return, we also won't protect players x,y, z that Montreal is interested in, let's say folks on the bubble like Harden, Borman, Davies, Dunfield (getting pricey next year), Griffit (French, might be interested in Montreal), etc; maybe Williams or Cann due to injury status, etc.

However, I think leaving Ecks unprotected w/o a behind-the-scenes agreement with Montreal is too risky -- even if Ecks refuses to play in Montreal, and even if TFC hasn't been able to extend his loan yet. Montreal knows Ecks is good, they know they will play TFC up to 5 times next year, and will be competing with TFC for a playoff spot. Maybe they'll just select Ecks in the draft to get him off TFC's roster, weaken them at RB, even if they know he won't sign with Montreal. It's better for Montreal if he's back in the UK rather than in Toronto.

So I have a feeling, if TFC thinks there's still a chance of making a deal for Ecks with his UK team, and if they don't have a verbal deal with Montreal, then they protect him in order to not lose him. If Winter/Mariner feel a deal for Ecks is very unlikely with his UK team, then they don't protect him.

Simillar for Plata.

sidvan
11-21-2011, 04:49 PM
KC deals Ryan Smith to Chivas for 1st round and 3rd round in supplemental draft

Auzzy
11-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Is it 5pm yet?

Is it 5pm yet?

Is it 5pm yet?

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 05:41 PM
^ Apparently not ;)

dantdot
11-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Just Chicago so far. Gargan and Conway exposed.

anonymiss
11-21-2011, 05:46 PM
RSL's list out via Twitter.

sidvan
11-21-2011, 06:03 PM
RSL's list out via Twitter.

link? didn't see it on official channels

Island Man
11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
link? didn't see it on official channels

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/11/21/2578857/mls-expansion-draft-2011-montreal-impact-real-salt-lake-protected-lists

sidvan
11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/11/21/2578857/mls-expansion-draft-2011-montreal-impact-real-salt-lake-protected-lists

Auzzy
11-21-2011, 06:25 PM
^ Apparently not ;)

5pm Pacific time? Hawaii time? Or what... ;)

Sick of waiting...

sidvan
11-21-2011, 06:29 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/11/21/2578775/mls-expansion-draft-2011-flurry-of-activity-expected-as-protected

not much so far

anonymiss
11-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Philly is up. http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2011/11/union-reveal-protected-list-2011-expansion-draft

sidvan
11-21-2011, 06:52 PM
PU Unprotected:

1. Adu, Freddy (MF)
2. Gonzalez, Juan Diego (DF)
3. Harrison, Chase (GK)
4. Holder, Thorne (GK)
5. Houapeu, Levi (FW)
6. Langley, Morgan (MF)
7. Miglioranzi, Stefani (MF)
8. Nakazawa, Kyle (MF)
9. Paunovic, Veljko (FW)
10. Richter, Ryan (FW)
11. Tait, Joe (DF)
12. Justin Mapp (MF)

Island Man
11-21-2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2011/11/rapids-protect-11-mls-expansion-draft

so is Colorado

sidvan
11-21-2011, 06:53 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/11/mls-unveils-list-of-players-available-in-mls-expansion-draft.html

Full list

dantdot
11-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Here it is(unprotected):

Borman, Danleigh
Bouchiba, Elbekay
Cann, Adrian
Davies, Kyle
de Guzman, Julian
Gold, Matt
Griffit, Leandre
Marosevic, Peri
Martina, Javier
Omphroy, Demitrius
Soolsma, Nick
Sturgis, Nathan
Viator, Eddy
Williams, Dicoy
Yourasskowsky, Mikael
Zavarise, Gianluca

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Wow. Cann, JDG, Soolsma, Dicoy all unprotected. Winter and Mariner are going to be plenty busy this off season...

KGH
11-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Everyone's:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/21/mls-clubs-release-expansion-draft-protected-lists

KGH
11-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Wow. Cann, JDG, Soolsma, Dicoy all unprotected. Winter and Mariner are going to be plenty busy this off season...

Not really. Worst case is we lose one.

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 06:59 PM
^ LOL very true. Never mind, I'm an idiot.

sully
11-21-2011, 06:59 PM

I'm only surprised by Cann ans a bit by Soolsma - he was coming on very well. Nobody will pay what we pay JDG.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow, I think I like the MLS offseason as much, if not slightly more, than the regular season. I'm surprised by some of TFC's list, also surprised Colorado left Mac Kandji exposed, maybe TFC should try to swing a deal for him?

Soolsma is surprising to me. He always looked very limited, but still managed to be at the centre of most of the good things the team did this year.

MartinUtd
11-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Not surprised to see Cann on the list. We have a lot of good 2nd CB options and Winter seems intent on upgrading the #1.

mowe
11-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Protected list:

Avila, Eric
Dunfield, Terry
Eckersley, Richard
Frei, Stefan (GK)
Frings, Torsten
Harden, Ty
Iro, Andy
Johnson, Ryan
Kocic, Milos (GK)
Koevermans, Danny
Plata, Joao

Harden and Iro protected over Cann and Williams. Shows that management is not sure about the injury recovery of the latter two. They'd rather keep the (somewhat) proven CB's that they're comfortable with. Also, Dunfield protected over JDG. I guess they don't think Montreal would go for the big salary, or even if they do that's a DP slot freed up for Toronto. Out of the unprotected Soolsma contributed most this season.

backbeat
11-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Here it is(unprotected):

Borman, Danleigh
Bouchiba, Elbekay
Cann, Adrian
Davies, Kyle
de Guzman, Julian
Gold, Matt
Griffit, Leandre
Marosevic, Peri
Martina, Javier
Omphroy, Demitrius
Soolsma, Nick
Sturgis, Nathan
Viator, Eddy
Williams, Dicoy
Yourasskowsky, Mikael
Zavarise, Gianluca

I think the only player we might lose there would be Cann - in fact I'd be surprised if he's not taken.

backbeat
11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Protected list:

Avila, Eric
Dunfield, Terry
Eckersley, Richard
Frei, Stefan (GK)
Frings, Torsten
Harden, Ty
Iro, Andy
Johnson, Ryan
Kocic, Milos (GK)
Koevermans, Danny
Plata, Joao

I gather this means that Plata and Eckersley are either signed or going to be.

rocker
11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
looking at the other team's lists, there are many more than 10 players better than Cann for Montreal to select.

But i'm fine with losing 1 of these unprotected players... no big deal. I think though that we might not lose anybody. 8 teams will not have a player chosen.

ManUtd4ever
11-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Wow, there are several high calibre players that were left unprotected across the league. Montreal might be able to assemble a decent roster for an expansion team.

rocker
11-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Daniel Hernandez is available from FCD? What's up with that? Is he on some massive contract? i'd grab him if I were Montreal.

Wait, I just googled him... he's 35??? doesn't look it on the field. Guess they think an expansion team won't take an older player.

Freddy Adu is available -- I guess they think Montreal won't take on his salary. Freddy Adu's best performances came as a U-20 at the Big O. Justin Mapp might also be a good pickup from Philly.

Real Salt lake has Paulo Araujo available, who is decent if unspectacular... as well as Ned Grabavoy.

Montreal could bring back Gjertson from San jose. They know him well.

A guy who impressed me with Seattle is available -- Michael Fucito. James Riley could be useful too.

Island Man
11-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Think Impact will take Justin Mapp from Philly and Zarek Valentin from Chivas.

Woah Nana is unprotected! Only if could go back to his old form.

Auzzy
11-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Wow, very interesting. In the protected list, I'm surprised about Iro (!!!) & Dunfield. The fact that Ecks & Plata are on the list bodes well I hope -- seems to mean that there's a chance of signing them or extending their loans.

On the unprotected list, I'm especially surprised about Soolsma. A bit less surprised about Cann (injury recovery, not very cheap), Williams (injury recovery & international), and JDG (pricey). I would be sad to lose JDG the way he's been playing lately, but it would open some new opportunities -- plus Montreal won't sign him anyway.

Soolsma, only making $90k, important part of our attack, and I figured he's tied to Winter. Maybe they think Montreal won't take him as an international? Plus I guess he's out of a contract, so too many unknowns for Montreal???

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Daniel Hernandez is available from FCD? What's up with that? Is he on some massive contract? i'd grab him if I were Montreal.

Wait, I just googled him... he's 35??? doesn't look it on the field. Guess they think an expansion team won't take an older player.

spent alot of time injured this year too if im not mistaken.

agreed tho, i do think there are better players that could be picked and i wouldnt miss any of the ones we do have available

Auzzy
11-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Also surprised about Peri Marosevic being unprotected. I thought he was still GA. Plus, at $80k base salary & 22 years old, he seems very decent. Who knows, maybe he wants big money in a new contract?

Also, I thought Dunfield is due a big salary jump? I wish they had protected Marosevic & Soolsma over Iro & Dunfield.

EDIT: I didn't realize Dunfield is 29. Man, if he's really getting a big jump in salary, then I just don't get why he's protected. (Currently only on $65k.)

rocker
11-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Woah Nana is unprotected! Only if could go back to his old form.

If I were Montreal I might consider taking a chance on resurrecting Nana's career, moreso than I would want to sign Cann who is much older and coming off a major injury.
Not much else that's interesting on San Jose (unless Convey is willing to stay in MLS after basically calling out Frank Yallop at the end of the season...)

Montreal would know Nana very well.

Yohan
11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Wow, I think I like the MLS offseason as much, if not slightly more, than the regular season. I'm surprised by some of TFC's list, also surprised Colorado left Mac Kandji exposed, maybe TFC should try to swing a deal for him?
Mac Kandji hasn't been the same ever since his torn ACL. Missed half the season, and just didn't get in the groove for Colorado.

I'd still take him though. He's still got potential to be a monster in MLS

mowe
11-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Also surprised about Peri Marosevic being unprotected. I thought he was still GA. Plus, at $80k base salary & 22 years old, he seems very decent. Who knows, maybe he wants big money in a new contract?

Marosevic graduated from GA this year and has a team option for next year, he said so himself in the season-ending presser. And it's Guaranteed Salary that counts against the cap, so he would presumably have at least a $129k option for next year.

There are some intriguing names throughout the league left unprotected. Montreal should have a pretty good roster from the expansion draft alone, not considering any trades or back-channel agreements.

Darlofletch
11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
not many I'd say TFC should try and trade for.

fucito, riley from seattle. andy williams from salt lake. valentin of chivas is getting a lot of talk on twitter. mapp from PU? convey of sj? don't really know much about any of these players contracts of likelihood of sigining/playing, but interesting names.

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Fucking hell there's a lot of talent. Here are my selections, not sure if they work out salary wise, but its one from each team:

------------------Jay Nolly---------------------
------Ante Jazic--xxxxxxxxxxx-----Tyson Wahl-----
------------------Julian De Guzman----------------
--Andy Williams----Emmanuel Ekpo---Mac Kandji-----
-------------------Freddy Adu--------------------
----------Brian Ching--------Omar Bravo----------

Its a 3-5-2 formation, with great players (MLS-level) in every position. I didn't see another defender good enough to take, but maybe a trade with another team could get them a good defender.

EDIT: I'd replace 36 year old Andy Williams with Paolo Cardozo.
EDIT2: I'd replace 33 year old Brian Ching with Soony Saad... well I would if I could take Saad and Bravo, but since they're both on the same team, never mind.
EDIT3: The salary turns out to be $1.7M, leaving $1M for 20 players lol. If we switch Saad for Bravo, it leaves $1.1M for 20 players.
EDIT4: They already got a new defender from Inter Milan, so I guess that would work.

Yohan
11-21-2011, 08:07 PM
If I was Mtl, I'd have a serious look at these guys

Chicago Fire
Chaves, Diego; F
Conway, Jon; GK

Chivas USA
Courtois, Laurent; LW
Jazic, Ante; LB

Colorado Rapids
Comminges, Miguel;
Kandji, Macoumba;
Nyassi, Sanna;

Columbus Crew
Ekpo, Emmanuel;
O'Rourke, Danny;

FC Dallas
Cruz, Daniel;
dos Santos, Maicon;
Villar, Ricardo;

D.C. United
Quaranta, Santino;

Houston Dynamo
Cruz, Daniel;
Freeman, Hunter;
Weaver, Cam

LA Galaxy
Stephens, Michael;

New England Revolution
Barnes, Darrius;
Cochrane, Ryan;

New York Red Bulls
Albright, Chris;
Sutton, Greg

Philadelphia Union
Adu, Freddy;
Mapp, Justin;
Miglioranzi, Stefani;

Portland Timbers
Alexander, Eric;
Chabala, Michael;
Real Salt Lake
Alvarez, Arturo
Grabavoy, Ned
Russell, Robbie

San Jose Earthquakes
Attakora-Gyan, Nana
Burling, Bobby
Convey, Bobby
Ward, Tim

Seattle Sounders FC
Fucito, Michael
Gonzalez, Leonardo

Sporting Kansas City
Bravo, Omar
Harrington, Michael
Sinovic, Seth

Toronto FC
Cann, Adrian
Marosevic, Peri
Soolsma, Nick
Viator, Eddy
Williams, Dicoy

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Thorrington, John

Without taking into international and salary cap, Montreal can put together a decent starting line up from this list. I will be very shocked if Mtl doesn't pick up couple of starters (esp LB)

jloome
11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
not many I'd say TFC should try and trade for.

fucito, riley from seattle. andy williams from salt lake. valentin of chivas is getting a lot of talk on twitter. mapp from PU? convey of sj? don't really know much about any of these players contracts of likelihood of sigining/playing, but interesting names.

James Riley is marginally interesting, the rest, not so much. Fucito is in Nagle's shadow, Williams is Ancient

jloome
11-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Chicago Fire
Chaves, Diego; F
Conway, Jon; GK

Chivas USA
Courtois, Laurent; LW
Jazic, Ante; LB

Colorado Rapids
Comminges, Miguel;
Kandji, Macoumba;
Nyassi, Sanna;

Columbus Crew
Ekpo, Emmanuel;
O'Rourke, Danny;

FC Dallas
Cruz, Daniel;
dos Santos, Maicon;
Villar, Ricardo;

D.C. United
Quaranta, Santino;

Houston Dynamo
Cruz, Daniel;
Freeman, Hunter;
Weaver, Cam

LA Galaxy
Stephens, Michael;

New England Revolution
Barnes, Darrius;
Cochrane, Ryan;

New York Red Bulls
Albright, Chris;
Sutton, Greg

Philadelphia Union
Adu, Freddy;
Mapp, Justin;
Miglioranzi, Stefani;

Portland Timbers
Alexander, Eric;
Chabala, Michael;
Real Salt Lake
Alvarez, Arturo
Grabavoy, Ned
Russell, Robbie

San Jose Earthquakes
Attakora-Gyan, Nana
Burling, Bobby
Convey, Bobby
Ward, Tim

Seattle Sounders FC
Fucito, Michael
Gonzalez, Leonardo

Sporting Kansas City
Bravo, Omar
Harrington, Michael
Sinovic, Seth

Toronto FC
Cann, Adrian
Marosevic, Peri
Soolsma, Nick
Viator, Eddy
Williams, Dicoy

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Thorrington, John

Without taking into international and salary cap, Montreal can put together a decent starting line up from this list. I will be very shocked if Mtl doesn't pick up couple of starters (esp LB)

Wow, I wouldn't. This isn't a great selection, most also rans or guys who haven't lived up to potential. Some head cases, too. IF any serious chunk of their starting lineup is built from the expansion draft, they're going to lose a lot of games. Which is probably true, anyway.

Yohan
11-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Fire supporters seems to rate Gargan pretty highly

brad
11-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Fire supporters seems to rate Gargan pretty highly

So did a lot of TFC supporters...

Yohan
11-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Wow, I wouldn't. This isn't a great selection, most also rans or guys who haven't lived up to potential. Some head cases, too. IF any serious chunk of their starting lineup is built from the expansion draft, they're going to lose a lot of games. Which is probably true, anyway.I dunno dude. there's a lot of talent on that list (which I suppose is indication that MLS is getting better overall)

ensco
11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Surely there's somebody on that list that Earl Cochrane will recommend trading our first round pick for.

Detroit_TFC
11-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Some of those players have "soft" protection of large salaries.

BTW just for amusement purposes, enjoy a walk down memory lane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_MLS_Expansion_Draft

(I'll be damned, I didn't know we drafted Hesmer)

CSO_BBTB
11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I gather this means that Plata and Eckersley are either signed or going to be.

At the very least it points to there being enough of a chance of them being back that retaining their MLS rights is viewed as a priority. Good news basically.

ensco
11-21-2011, 10:46 PM

Holy smokes, Houston left Holden (!!!!) and Wondolowski (!) unprotected in that draft!

That is unbelievable.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Holden was an unknown and wondo wasunproven (he didn't really break out tila season or two ago)

ag futbol
11-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Quaranta is available?

If I were TFC I'd take a look. He's injury prone, but when healthy and on form he'd be one hell of a guy to have in our system.

rocker
11-21-2011, 11:12 PM
Quaranta is available?

If I were TFC I'd take a look. He's injury prone, but when healthy and on form he'd be one hell of a guy to have in our system.

he had a better year this year... seems to have overcome problems... lots of experience in the league despite being only 27. just as long as he stays off the coke!

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Some of those players have "soft" protection of large salaries.

BTW just for amusement purposes, enjoy a walk down memory lane

(I'll be damned, I didn't know we drafted Hesmer)

From Wiki:

This left no players from the expansion draft on the TFC roster.

Somehow, that feels totally appropriate...

Yohan
11-21-2011, 11:29 PM
From Wiki:

Somehow, that feels totally appropriate...
hindsight is 20/20, but some crazy trades in MLS. like Tim Regan for Edson Buddle

spe18
11-22-2011, 01:32 AM
hindsight is 20/20, but some crazy trades in MLS. like Tim Regan for Edson Buddle

Were all those players picked in that expansion draft off the tfc roster after the first season?

Yohan
11-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Were all those players picked in that expansion draft off the tfc roster after the first season?
lol. all those guys were traded before the season started, except paolo nagamura who played I think two games before being traded to chivas usa

ensco
11-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Holden was an unknown )

Edu, Altidore, Adu, these guys were targets at a young age.

I never appreciated Holden's story until now. A guy going from unprotected in the MLS draft, to a major role for an EPL club, in 3 years, is totally amazing.

Oldtimer
11-22-2011, 07:39 AM
I never appreciated Holden's story until now. A guy going from unprotected in the MLS draft, to a major role for an EPL club, in 3 years, is totally amazing.

Holden is one of those exceptions that shows you can sometimes be surprised how a player ends up.

His character and determination is what ultimately got him a position in the EPL. Character can be more important than the raw talent a player starts with.

Nuvinho
11-22-2011, 08:38 AM
As I said in the news thread, we don't know the contract situations with Cann and Williams, their contracts could be higher this year, which may make Montreal to stay away from them.

__wowza
11-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Harden and Iro protected over Cann and Williams. Shows that management is not sure about the injury recovery of the latter two. They'd rather keep the (somewhat) proven CB's that they're comfortable with. Also, Dunfield protected over JDG. I guess they don't think Montreal would go for the big salary, or even if they do that's a DP slot freed up for Toronto. Out of the unprotected Soolsma contributed most this season.

nail meet head.
at least thats the case for me, im also glad they got plata and ecks on there, maybe we caught a break and signed em to a pair of deals? also, as much as i hate to admit it, cann is 31. iro's 26. that had to weight into their decision also im guessing.

ManUtd4ever
11-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Overall, I am comfortable with TFC's list with the exception of Soolsma. I would have protected him ahead of Iro, considering his price tag and his prominent role among our forwards towards the end of last season. Soolsma also led TFC in assists.

ManUtd4ever
11-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Surely there's somebody on that list that Earl Cochrane will recommend trading our first round pick for.

Well played sir.

Wooster_TFC
11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Overall, I am comfortable with TFC's list with the exception of Soolsma. I would have protected him ahead of Iro, considering his price tag and his prominent role among our forwards towards the end of last season. Soolsma also led TFC in assists.

The thing with Soolsma is that he doesn't really fit in a "normal" MLS formation. He's really only any good as a right winger in the 4-3-3, and he's an international who may very well just decide to go back to Europe if he gets drafted.

I get the feeling that Winter's boys wouldn't play for anyone else.

With respect to Plata and Eckersley, if TFC (and Montreal) think there's even a remote chance that they can get a deal worked out with them, then they needed to be protected. Montreal may have jumped at one of them in order to target a trade back to TFC.

I wouldn't be surprised if not a single player is picked from TFC. There are just better options out there, especially since Saputo has publicly stated that there's a 50/50 chance that they'll have a DP in their first year.

Yohan
11-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Cann would be a decent CB option, if not to have decent depth and fill in one of 3 Canadian spots

KGH
11-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Cann would be a decent CB option, if not to have decent depth and fill in one of 3 Canadian spots

Wouldn't Nana offer more upside then a guy coming off an ACL injury with a relatively high salary?

prizby
11-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Chicago Fire
Chaves, Diego; F
Conway, Jon; GK

Chivas USA
Courtois, Laurent; LW
Jazic, Ante; LB

Colorado Rapids
Comminges, Miguel;
Kandji, Macoumba;
Nyassi, Sanna;

Columbus Crew
Ekpo, Emmanuel;
O'Rourke, Danny;

FC Dallas
Cruz, Daniel;
dos Santos, Maicon;
Villar, Ricardo;

D.C. United
Quaranta, Santino;

Houston Dynamo
Cruz, Daniel;
Freeman, Hunter;
Weaver, Cam

LA Galaxy
Stephens, Michael;

New England Revolution
Barnes, Darrius;
Cochrane, Ryan;

New York Red Bulls
Albright, Chris;
Sutton, Greg

Philadelphia Union
Adu, Freddy;
Mapp, Justin;
Miglioranzi, Stefani;

Portland Timbers
Alexander, Eric;
Chabala, Michael;
Real Salt Lake
Alvarez, Arturo
Grabavoy, Ned
Russell, Robbie

San Jose Earthquakes
Attakora-Gyan, Nana
Burling, Bobby
Convey, Bobby
Ward, Tim

Seattle Sounders FC
Fucito, Michael
Gonzalez, Leonardo

Sporting Kansas City
Bravo, Omar
Harrington, Michael
Sinovic, Seth

Toronto FC
Cann, Adrian
Marosevic, Peri
Soolsma, Nick
Viator, Eddy
Williams, Dicoy

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Thorrington, John

how could you not have Zarek Valentin on this list???

rocker
11-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Portland has a deal with Montreal so none of its players will be selected:

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2011/11/timbers_protect_players_from_e.html

prizby
11-22-2011, 10:44 AM

i'd trade our 12th overall pick for zarek valentin

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2011, 10:46 AM

I kinda agree iwth you, however im thinking his price at 90k and the fact hes an international (and i think his contract was only 1 year) will prob deter montreal (not to mention theres alot of better players to choose from within the draft in the same position)

Yohan
11-22-2011, 11:24 AM
how could you not have Zarek Valentin on this list???
because I had a brainfart.

Good young RB who can play CB in a pinch. Chivas USA FO screwed up here

Yohan
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't Nana offer more upside then a guy coming off an ACL injury with a relatively high salary?
depends on whether Attakora is still in the funk after family losses which took his game off the entire season. and I thought Attakora is out of contract?

though part of me really cringes at seeing a Toronto boy in Impact shirt

Fort York Redcoat
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Wow Montreal could have

----Sutton
Nana-Cann-Jazic

That's pretty Canadian.

ManUtd4ever
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal took a gamble on Barrett and/or Santos, as both players have faired well against them in the past in the NCC.

ManUtd4ever
11-22-2011, 11:43 AM
It's also interesting to note the number of players that TFC traded last season that are now available.

Barrett
Santos
Attakora
Gargan
Peterson
White

prizby
11-22-2011, 11:51 AM
It's also interesting to note how many of the players that TFC traded last season are available.

Barrett
Santos
Attakora
Gargan
Peterson
White
if mtl wanted, they could draft a team of ex tfc players

carl robinson/greg sutton - nyrb
any current tfc unprotected player
nana attakora/jacob peters - San Jose
O'Brian White/Amadou Sanyang - Sounders
Dan Gargan - Fire
Andrew Boyens - Chivas USA
Tyrone Marshall - Colorado
Maicon Santos - Dallas
Hunter Freeman - Houston
Chad Barrett/Dasan Robinson - LA
Pat Phelan (does he count) - NE

ua-kozak_TFC
11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I totally see why CAnn was left unprotected... I think many forgot the drama him and zero brought about "promised salaries" and about not playing. That is very poor attitude. I love Can i think he's a great guy a decent player, but even though he might be one our better defenders... i don;t think he;s a good enough defender to make TFC a competitive team in this ever growing and developing league. I think we need a leader at the back, that is one of the most important things we are missing a natural defensive leader...
I think MOntreal might be tempted to pick Martina.. since he had some flashes of brilliance, i think he;s too much of a hog.
The only player i would hate to see go would be peri marosevic to be honest.

ps: just checked our salaries, DAMN we are paying almost 2mill for JDG. while paying 1.1 and 1.4 mill respectively for Frings and Koevermars. Man did MO Fed UP. I mean even though JDG had his best year this season, i think he;s contribution can't be compared to Fring;s or Koevermans...

rocker
11-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Brian Ching says he'll retire and work in Houston's front office if Montreal picks him.

Auzzy
11-22-2011, 03:39 PM
^^ I think that Cann issue is water long under the bridge, and there were obviously at least two sides to that story, no need to re-hash any of it.

Cann is unprotected because he's 31, relatively expensive, and with an unknown return from injury. I hope he's back & healthy at TFC though, together with at least one new stud CB, and that we FINALLY have some decent depth in that position.

ManUtd4ever
11-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Assuming JDG's contract is enough of a deterrent, the only other players that I would regret losing are Soolsma, Marosevic, Cann, or Williams.

starter
11-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Hope it is a calculated gamble with Soolsma, would like to see him here next season.

cincy
11-23-2011, 09:12 AM
OOh.. Jacob Peterson getting selected and sent back to Canada, would be his just desserts .. It would make my day

Detroit_TFC
11-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Houston's Brian Ching said that if he's picked he will retire. I call that a bit of overkill and, frankly, unprofessional on his part.

Oblio2
11-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Not really. He's close to retiring and doesnt want to move. Based on his years of service-He's earned that

Reg_Sims
11-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Here would be my selections from the list (Not taking Salary into effect)

GK - NONE (They have one Evan Bush ready to play)

Defence
Already have Camara and Rivas Signed, but will grab 4 in this draft
D - Ante Jazic (Solid MLS Veteran) From Chivas
D - Hunter Freeman (Another proven MLS starter) from Houston
D - Robbie Russell (Yet another Veteran with some leadership) from Salt Lake
D - Ramiro Corrales (Decent Stats from this year) from San Jose

Midfield
M - Sanni Nyassi (Seems to always be picked in Expansion Drafts) From Colorado
M - Daniel Hernandez (Will provide leadership and stability in the midfield) From Dallas
M - Justin Mapp (Pick up as Trade Bait) If no partner arranged, I would select Adu. From Philly
M - John Thorrington (Another Vetran presence) From Vancouver

Forward (This is where they add some $$$ and some goals...)
F - Omar Bravo (From Kansas City)
F - Andrea Mendoza (From Columbus)

of course if it was me with Montreal, I would also announce my DP as Luca Toni... (Rumble, Rumble, Rumours...)

That would give a startlign lineup that would be very decent of

--------------------Bush-------------------
---Russell----Rivas---Corrales---Jazic-------
-----Mapp/Adu---Hernandez---Nyassi-------
---------Bravo-----Toni/Mendoza----------

I think this team would kick some ass, but I hope they pick up crap!!!!

Also would give a bench of Thorrington, Freeman, and mendoza/Toni...
Also the Salaries total: 1.8 Million (Assuming 100K for Bush)