PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,Nov.21

denime
11-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Mornin'

Galaxy capture third MLS Cup (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/21/galaxy-capture-mls-cup)

MLS announces changes for 2012 season (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/20/mls-announces-changes-for-2012-season)

MLS Reveals Unbalanced Schedule Plan (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/11/mls-reveals-unbalanced-schedule-plan)

MLS Cup Playoffs Format To Change (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/11/mls-cup-playoffs-format-change)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

Oldtimer
11-21-2011, 07:45 AM
apparently Beckham won the MLS Cup, according to many articles around the world:

Beckham’s L.A. Galaxy Wins MLS Title

:)

almost no paper was able to resist the words "Hollywood ending" to the game.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-21/-los-angeles-galaxy-wins-mls-title-in-final-match-of-beckham-s-contract.html#

He actually did have a major part in the game, his passes were excellent, and all of the Galaxy's DPs were involved in the winning goal:

Dunivant --> Beckham --> Keane --> Landycakes

The lifestyle sections of various papers say that the Beckhams are indeed moving to Paris now that his contract is up:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2064233/Victoria-Beckham-intends-brood-Paris.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Haha OT I was about to congratulate Dunivant, a former TFCer on his getting DP status!!!

But yeah this Galaxy win was hardly a win for parity. Then again, it certainly wasn't the birth of a league giant either.

TOBOR !
11-21-2011, 08:30 AM
meh. Garber had his chance to weigh in on Blatter's gaffe re: racism in football. As shocked as I was that it was even broached - let alone by Twellman - I wasn't surprised by Garber's feeble response.

"It must have been taken out of context".

No, you dumb fuck, it wasn't, and if you were paying attention you'd've known that. Very disappointing from him. Sad to see him sit on the fence.

Then he mumbles something about racism not being an issue in American sport, or something equally stupid.

Anyway, sorry, there's another thread about this somewhere, and this one is (mostly) about the Galaxy win, yeah ?

Dull stuff. Although, Adam Christman is a perfect replacement for Chad Barrett.

TFC/Everton
11-21-2011, 08:35 AM
[/QUOTE] Dull stuff. Although, Adam Christman is a perfect replacement for Chad Barrett.[/QUOTE]

He was God awful. Keane looked so annoyed with him.

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
meh. Garber had his chance to weigh in on Blatter's gaffe re: racism in football. As shocked as I was that it was even broached - let alone by Twellman - I wasn't surprised by Garber's feeble response.

No, you dumb fuck, it wasn't, and if you were paying attention you'd've known that. Very disappointing from him. Sad to see him sit on the fence.

Then he mumbles something about racism not being an issue in American sport, or something equally stupid.

Nope I think that that is important news today. Garber backs Blatter is no surprise but I'll take a win for Twellman bringing it up. America usually ignores the rest of the world so any acknowledgement of the incident (and issue) is relevant and important. *thumbs up*

TFCBarrie
11-21-2011, 09:09 AM

Anyway, sorry, there's another thread about this somewhere, and this one is (mostly) about the Galaxy win, yeah ?

Except he didn't say that at all. He literally said "I would hope that it was taken out of context", which to me is an entirely different meaning than "it must have been", he might as well have said that "If he actually said that, than he's an asshole".

I don't like Garber one bit, but I was impressed with him on that subject.

Chevy
11-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Except he didn't say that at all. He literally said "I would hope that it was taken out of context", which to me is an entirely different meaning than "it must have been", he might as well have said that "If he actually said that, than he's an asshole".

+1. He handled it very well and made some very strong comments about the stance of MLS on the issue.

Wull
11-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Happy for Donovan, hope to see him back at Goodison now!

Davenport
11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Dull stuff. Although, Adam Christman is a perfect replacement for Chad Barrett.[/quote]

He was God awful. Keane looked so annoyed with him.[/quote]

He was absolute crap...Sunday league standard.
The game wasn't a classic, not much quality on the pitch.
And whose idea was it to have a late kick off on the West Coast so no kids can watch it on the East Coast ? A great way of building support for the league :facepalm:

Oldtimer
11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
[quote]Dull stuff. Although, Adam Christman is a perfect replacement for Chad Barrett.He was God awful. Keane looked so annoyed with him.
He was absolute crap...Sunday league standard.
And whose idea was it to have a late kick off on the West Coast so no kids can watch it on the East Coast ? A great way of building support for the league :facepalm:ESPN chose the time.

TOBOR !
11-21-2011, 10:31 AM

He was God awful. Keane looked so annoyed with him

I'll clarify that by saying that he looked equally as capable as the Chad Barrett I remember.

Oodles of decent chances sent high or wide.

Super
11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Adam Christman gets $42k a year btw.

mowe
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM
And whose idea was it to have a late kick off on the West Coast so no kids can watch it on the East Coast ? A great way of building support for the league :facepalm:

Houston really missed Brad Davis. They were over-matched last night but still had a few chances. The game was fairly entertaining for me, the goal was a class finish by Donovan.

I don't think 9:30pm EST is a late kickoff. The kids who have to go to bed by that time probably aren't in the target audience. Like Oldtimer said, ESPN chose the time. They would obviously try to maximize ratings.

TOBOR !
11-21-2011, 10:36 AM

You're being very kind to him.

While I might not have nailed his comment, it was apparent that he had little or no knowledge on the facts. Maybe looking further into it was on his To-Do List, but he got caught up in all the MLS Cup glamour and never got to it.

If he had watched either the BBC or Al-Jazeera interviews he would've known that it wasn't taken out of context at all. And if he'd then watched the FOX interview he would've seen Sepp trying to deny that he was talking about racism at all.

All Garber really did was not take a position and do his best to dodge the issue.

mowe
11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
This is what he said in an SI.com interview:

SI.com: This week FIFA president Sepp Blatter said any racist abuse on soccer fields should be settled with a handshake. He has now apologized, but what is your take on that?

Garber: FIFA as an organization has been very aggressive in taking anti-racism stances and using their big events to try to raise awareness for the need to eradicate racism from soccer fields at all levels. I applaud FIFA for doing that. I hope the president's comments were taken out of context. I will say here as the leader of MLS: Both in our offices at the league and at the club level and on our fields we have a zero-tolerance policy for racism. I know for sure it is an important issue for us to take a very public and aggressive stance, and we'll continue to do that.

I think he handled it fine. There's no need to attack Blatter directly. Just state your position on it and let that speak for itself.

TOBOR !
11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
^ then that's disappointing. Men in positions such as his should be calling for Blatter's head.

Technorgasm
11-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Big congrats to keano. . walk into a team and gets a championship.
cant wait to see him at BMO.

Im happy that LA won, itws good for the sport, and the league.
and good to see the back of becks adn his media spotlight now that his purpose has been fulfilled.

mowe
11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
2012 Disney World Pro Soccer Classic lineup announced: Vancouver, Montreal, Houston, Dallas, Kansas City, and Swedish 1st division side Hacken BK join TFC and Orlando City SC.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2454-TFC-Caps-and-Impact-all-set-to-take-part-in-Disney-pre-season-tourney

Should be good preparation for the CCL matches.

Fort York Redcoat
11-21-2011, 12:17 PM
So they double the size of it. Good. I like the Swedish side added. Well worth it.

Detroit_TFC
11-21-2011, 12:27 PM
The game suffered due to the pitch conditions. It was raining like a mofo all day.

BTW the overnight US rating on ESPN for the game was 0.8, not too much more than the 0.5 in 2010. My knee-jerk reaction is to blame ESPN but the fact is some blame has to go the league and Fox Soccer for their media strategies too. Let's see what NBC does next year with the regular league games, hard to see it being worse but anything is possible. I doubt it will ever be a priority for ESPN.

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't like Garber, but his comments on the Blatter issue were appropriate and professional.

Galaxy deserved the title. But hopefully they'll be in shambles by March ;)

DichioTFC
11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Also, it was great for the league that Beckham won a title with Keane and Donovan. This league is growing and needs to captures kids' interest somehow. By building Beckham to be a legendary hero (i.e. Danny Dichio ;) ), they'll go a long way to grow the sport domestically.

Yohan
11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Also, it was great for the league that Beckham won a title with Keane and Donovan. This league is growing and needs to captures kids' interest somehow. By building Beckham to be a legendary hero (i.e. Danny Dichio ;) ), they'll go a long way to grow the sport domestically.
it's also leading article on BBC football

rocker
11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Adam Christman gets $42k a year btw.

that's about right for what he offers on the field. What a lug.

JonO
11-21-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree with Super's implication though - if you pay a professional football player $42k a year, how much can you reasonably expect?

Canary10
11-21-2011, 04:07 PM
It makes me laugh sometimes when people say we should be destroying these "semi-pro, beer league" teams like Tauro. When you see some of MLS's salaries, you realize we're maybe not so far away from semi-pro, beer league.

Oldtimer
11-21-2011, 04:36 PM
It makes me laugh sometimes when people say we should be destroying these "semi-pro, beer league" teams like Tauro. When you see some of MLS's salaries, you realize we're maybe not so far away from semi-pro, beer league.

Have you seen the salaries in places like Panama or in the Caribean islands? If not, then rest assured there is a huge difference.

Canary10
11-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Have you seen the salaries in places like Panama or in the Caribean islands? If not, then rest assured there is a huge difference.

Cost of living is cheaper. It would be interesting to see how the wages compare accomodating cost of living. Bet it's not far off.

Auzzy
11-21-2011, 04:52 PM
It would also be interesting to compare the wages not just with cost of living, but with other typical wages. In the US & Canada, in most fields, $42k is a pretty lousy salary for a professional with a college degree & 5-6 years of experience -- like Christman. Someone with a college degree in the US can usually get a better salary. (Of course, nowadays if he can get a job at all.)

How do the players' salaries in these central American or Caribbean countries compare with salaries in other fields in those countries?