PDA

View Full Version : So how many TFC players make the MLS All-Stars

Miko
07-09-2008, 03:33 PM
So the team gets announced tomorrow and I haven't seen any wild speculation about which TFC players may make the team.

So let's begin.

Add your thoughts below.

I'm thinking 4 players.

Guevara - the signing that made everyone sit up and notice us. Probably the most consistent player and he seems happy.

Sutton - awesome this year - the reason the D.C. game wasn't 8-1. Also Canadian. 4 shutouts in 9 games. The only goalies ahead of him in shutouts all have played at least 14 and the league leader has only 6.

Dichio - leading goalscorer and the emotional heart of the team. Only 3 forwards in the East have more goals than him but 2 of those only have 1 more goal than Danny.
I have a feeling they'll pick him and then he won't be able to play due to the concussion.

Brennan - controversy here - everyone seems to be hating on him lately after the last couple of games but he is the Captain of the team and also a Canadian. Nice to see him get picked after being the face of the team last year.

Who else should/will make it - Wynne? Edu? Velez?

Agree/Disagree? That's why we have the reply button!

Eastend
07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I say 2.

Guevara - because he deserves it this year....well, when he has been here.

Edu - because we was Rookie of the Year last year and he needs to be promoted still.

I'd like to see Robert out there and of course Sutton but I think he may have been a bit too absent lately. (Carver's fault?)

my 2 cents.

Dom.

noochie
07-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I think only Guevara will be in there. Fan voting means nothing in the grand scheme of the all-star selections. My wildcard for a coaches pick would be Velez.

Red CB Toronto
07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Edu is pretty high in the all-star voting last time i saw, I could see 3-4 being on the 18 man roster, I mean more could be added to the reserve list which is just names on paper, I think we had three of them last year in addition to Ronnie. Guevara and Sutton are in mind sure fire picks and there could be a few more.

noochie
07-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I think Sutton should be there as well, but realistically its gonna be Reis and Busch.

Red CB Toronto
07-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Last time I saw Sutton was leading the voting, did we not have Bush for a while in the pre-season last year

Carts
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Guevara & Sutton deserve it no question IMO... And will be named...

IMO so does Marvel Wynn, but I'm not sure he'll get the nod (he's our most under-rated player!)... He's young, and I could see the league overlooking him for an older 'star'...

The league wants a show from us - I can see them naming a couple of extra TFC guys over other teams if the players are dead-even in play etc... The more TFC guys the better the performance of us they'll get (in their minds)... That'll make better TV, and they use this game to sell to sponsors...

So with that last paragraph said, Dichio & Brennan will get named, partly on play - but also on being in Toronto and being huge members of the "identity" of the team, and popular with the fans...

Carts...

noochie
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Last time I saw Sutton was leading the voting, did we not have Bush for a while in the pre-season last year

I know but fan voting holds the least weight for selection though. The media and staff hold much more weight.

EDIT: Fan balloting is 25% of total vote:

The online fan balloting will comprise one quarter of the All-Star First XI selections, with coaches and general managers (25 percent), players (25 percent) and media (25 percent) all getting a say in who is named to the First XI, which will consist of one goalkeeper, three defenders, five midfielders and two forwards.

invictusTFC
07-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm afraid that we won't see anymore than two TFC players. I'm thinking Guevara and Velez. Apparently Fan voting accounts for a negligible percentage of who actually gets chosen, so if league politics rares its ugly head I can see Edu get chosen in detriment to more deserving TFC players. Although Sutton started the season off fairly strong he will not be chosen. Brennan hasn't done enough to distinguish himself and forget about Dichio. Landycakes, Emilio, Buddle, Kenny Cooper, Brian Ching, Christmann, Jaime Moreno, Alejandro Moreno and Steve Ralston are all ahead of him in goal scoring.

noochie
07-09-2008, 03:46 PM
^^ Exactly. Sutton leads in fan balloting... but all that means is that if the players and media choose Busch then Sutton is bumped (for example).

Ossington Mental Youth
07-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I say 2.

Guevara - because he deserves it this year....well, when he has been here.

Edu - because we was Rookie of the Year last year and he needs to be promoted still.

I'd like to see Robert out there and of course Sutton but I think he may have been a bit too absent lately. (Carver's fault?)

my 2 cents.

Dom.

Yep, Edu cuz hes american and they love him down there (hes good, not been an amazing season but hes not crap as alot of people suggest) and Guevara because hes a player they love to hate (and hes got some serious talent). Dont think the rest of our boys have performed enough lately to validate especially when youve got some young american players killing it and some big names that are inevitable.

Red CB Toronto
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I am sure they will also find a way to get Angel and Blanco in too, since they are big name DP's.

noochie
07-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah this voting is bullshit... like everything MLS they need a safety net because some teams have more fans than others etc. welcome to the wishy-washy MLS.

Damien
07-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Guevara (obvious), Sutton (top GK vote receiver), Wynne (fast mofo) & Edu (Yankee's love him for being R.O.T.Y.)

werewolf
07-09-2008, 04:08 PM
the past three years, the host city has only had 1 representative :noidea:

noochie
07-09-2008, 04:14 PM
There is a lot of love for Sutton which is great to see. In perspective though... of the 14 regular keepers in the league, he has played the least games and has the 4th worst GAA.

Not to say that he hasn't been the team MVP (I agree he has) but keep in mind the decision lies with a lot of people who don't watch him play everyday.

I guess the point is... don't get your hopes up. I can see all of the hate-on threads now that will pop up tomorrow at oh 11:30 or so.

MFBODD
07-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Sutton? What kind of weird shit is that? Shouldn't our starting keeper, Edwards be going instead?

just kidding

Carts
07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
the past three years, the host city has only had 1 representative :noidea:

That kills my theory! Sh*t! (and it sounded so good on paper lol)

Carts...

ensco
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Wynne is the only one that truly deserves it

But several others could go

Ossington Mental Youth
07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Id put money on Reis going over Sutton

Broadview
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I was thinking/hoping Wynne as well.

Could someone better versed in MLS tell me who his competition at right back would be?

devioustrevor
07-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Edu making the All-Star team would be great. It would either increase his trade value inside the MLS or make some European team take notice and perhaps make an offer to get him out of here. He's young, but I have this strange feeling he's already peaked in the MLS. A change of scenery/football culture might be what he really needs to make his next step forward.