PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy for Barrett

Dv23
11-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Watching highlights of LA v RSL tonight. Barrett looks so happy. And you know what? I'm happy for him. I miss that guy. Glad he's having fun in the play-offs.

Alonso
11-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Watching highlights of LA v RSL tonight. Barrett looks so happy. And you know what? I'm happy for him. I miss that guy. Glad he's having fun in the play-offs.

Chad, is that you?

prizby
11-07-2011, 12:26 AM
link to the news article?

Brooker
11-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Wanna buy my Barrett jersey to really show your support? :D

Damn names on the backs of jerseys.

TFC/Everton
11-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Yes, but did you watch how awful he was? He was the worst player on the pitch for the Galaxy, hands down. On the flip side, I am happy to be rid of him.

prizby
11-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Yes, but did you watch how awful he was? He was the worst player on the pitch for the Galaxy, hands down. On the flip side, I am happy to be rid of him.

can't say i'm happy to lose his never give up/hard working attitude; his 225k salary; more than happy to be rid of

TFC/Everton
11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
can't say i'm happy to lose his never give up/hard working attitude; his 225k salary; more than happy to be rid of

Nobody can ever say he doesn't give it 100%, but that doesn't negate the fact that his passing ability is weak and he can't finish to save his life. There is a reason Bruce Arena took him our after 66 minutes, and it wasn't because of a lack of pace.

mastermixer
11-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Watching the game last night it was same old Barrett missing a couple of easy chances. Not sad he is gone at all.

MartinUtd
11-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Is he at least making things easier for LA's better finishers (creating space, setting up chances, etc)? Or is he zipping around all over the place and putting the ball into the 13th row?

trane
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
What he finally hit the side of a barn?

swan
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM

we didn't fully get rid of it we pay half of it even though he don't play here any more.. right?

Island Man
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
How the hell is he a start for LA? :D

Darlofletch
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
How the hell is he a start for LA? :D

because despite some obvious limitations, he's a good player. He's scored plenty of goals for LA this season as well as set many up.

sure he still misses a good percentage of his chances, but he's a very valuable player for them, as he was for us.

Glad to be rid of him? he was paid a bit too much, but he'd be a fantastic option as one of the wingers in our 4-3-3.

so I agree with the OP, I AM happy for barrett. hope he scores in the final.

MartinUtd
11-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd take Johnson and Soolsma over Gordon and Barret any day. And that's not even taking into account the their pay and the fact that we have an even better winger in Plata.

Yohan
11-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Alan Gordon
-Games played Mins played 739 10 Goals 5 Assists 1

Chad Barrett
-Games played 27 Mins played 1583 Goals 7 Assists 5

Ryan Johnson
-Games played 26 Mins played 2080 Goals 3 Assists 4

Nick Soolsma
-Games played 23 Mins played 1578 Goals 3 Assists 5

BFin
11-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Does that take into account total time on the pitch?

JonO
11-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm also happy for the guy. Liked him while he was here and he put up with a fair share of abuse. Never complained. Always worked hard. Wish him lots of success.

Yohan
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Does that take into account total time on the pitch?
edited to add mins played

MartinUtd
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Alan Gordon

Chad Barrett

Ryan Johnson

Nick Soolsma

Gordon had an outlier half season with us. And he's broken.

jloome
11-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Alan Gordon

Chad Barrett

Ryan Johnson

Nick Soolsma

Comparison doesn't make sense. The onyl two guys here who are strikers are Barrett and Gordon. Soolsma and Johnson are both wide forwards/wingers.

And before anyone points out that Barrett plays wide sometimes, I'd point out that he's shit at it. Barrett's contribution is his movement off the ball. He's very good at finding space. But his crossing is poor-to-mediocre and he can't dribble.

Good work ethic and good at finding space. Can't hit broadside of a barn.

Darlofletch
11-07-2011, 05:08 PM
barrett getting injured was what killed last season off. after he was injured was when it all went wrong in August/september and the goals dried up.

though I'm willing to admit that might be due to the lack of a good replacement rather than barrett being absolutely irreplaceable. obie and ibbe up front? yikes.

Dv23
11-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Sometimes that work ethic is enough I guess. I'm not saying that Barrett is the reason that LA is in the finals (and will likely win the cup), but I think the fact that he is starting up front amongst the likes of Donovan, Keane and Beckham is saying something. He compliments their styles nicely I guess.

prizby
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
comparison doesn't make sense...look at johnson's numbers in a tfc jersey vs. when he was with the quakes

rocker
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Barrett is performing at virtually the same level he performed in Toronto.

I liked the guy.. But he's definitely not a TFC player who has left Toronto and gone on to play better.

If you've watched LA over the course of the season, you'll have seen he's missed lots and lots of chances, as he did in Toronto.

ensco
11-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Man, I didn't realize that Barrett only got 7 goals in all those minutes. For that team.

He has been a total failure in LA. The correct comparison is to Edson Buddle.

MartinUtd
11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Just to be clear, I made that comparison because it fit the time span. I know I'm talking about target men vs forwards but that was kind of the point. We didn't have room for players that could not play out wide. Now we have several plus Johnson who can go up top if need be.

Yeoman
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Wanna buy my Barrett jersey to really show your support? :D

Damn names on the backs of jerseys.

i have a barrett jersey
buy my ricketts instead

s2cazz
11-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm looking for a Lombardo kit. Greatest player to ever wear the kit on the pitch IMO

MG42
11-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm looking for a Lombardo kit. Greatest player to ever wear the kit on the pitch IMO

I kind of feel bad for Lombardo, I think he was only 19 that year, and he was thrown in too quickly...I'm not saying he would have been a star by any means, I just think he got kind of a raw deal

james
11-09-2011, 12:06 AM

ya but we had much worse players on TFC that we should of got rid of before barrett. i remember people were giving Nick Garcia more support at times then they were about barrett, to this day i have yet to see a player stand out so badly as Garcia on the field as if he was playing with guys that were in much higher league then him. I seriously still laugh about how bad he was and yet still got to start so many games.

Shakes McQueen
11-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Always liked Barrett, and generally defended him when others slagged the guy. Glad he's happy in Los Angeles, and finding success.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
11-09-2011, 08:12 AM
ya but we had much worse players on TFC that we should of got rid of before barrett. i remember people were giving Nick Garcia more support at times then they were about barrett, to this day i have yet to see a player stand out so badly as Garcia on the field as if he was playing with guys that were in much higher league then him. I seriously still laugh about how bad he was and yet still got to start so many games.

The scorn for Garcia was justified for a time, but he was more than serviceable towards the end of his tenure here, and people continued to slag him because he had become a scapegoat by that point.

- Scott

trane
11-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I liked Barrett in terms of work and movement and all that, and I thought that his finishing started to show improvment in the midle of the season. However, with him it seems almost exclusively mental, he puts too much presure on himself, and is not settled enough in the finish.

DichioTFC
11-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Isn't Soolsma just another Barrett with less speed?

trane
11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
^ I think he is more inteligent tacticaly then Barrett. He is an out and out winger in this system, Barrett would have to play wing, but he was a CF/SS type, with not enough of finish. I think Soolsma is a better fit, he is also more aware defensively for the position.

JonO
11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Soolsma and Barrett are very different players. Soolsma's speed is deceptive (he's faster than many give him credit for, but I still wouldn't call him speedy), but most of the time is able to get by his defender and put in a decent cross.

Doesn't have much of a shot though...

mastermixer
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Soolsma and Barrett are very different players. Soolsma's speed is deceptive (he's faster than many give him credit for, but I still wouldn't call him speedy), but most of the time is able to get by his defender and put in a decent cross.

Doesn't have much of a shot though...

Soolsma is able to put in a cross... which is a good thing, but I would not call them decent crosses by any stretch.

Suds
11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
It's being reported Chad has dislocated his ankle in training and will not be available to play in the final. That really sucks for him.

TFC Cityboy
11-10-2011, 06:17 PM
It's being reported Chad has dislocated his ankle in training and will not be available to play in the final. That really sucks for him.
makes it easier to cheer for Houston tho.
:)

Yohan
11-10-2011, 06:39 PM
makes it easier to cheer for Houston tho.
:)
Bruce Arena disagrees

T-boy
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Isn't Soolsma just another Barrett with less speed?

I would say Barrett is much better than Sooslma overall. Barrett is a real pest to plya against as a defender. Defenders doing like being hounded and tackles, and barrett doesn't give any defender any time to linger. Barrett is worth much more than just goals (which we know he doesn't score enough of), his overall play and "defending from the front" is excellent. Soolsma is really only an attack minded wide player, he doens't do anywhere near as much charging around and hounding as barrett. Just watching barrett run around all match made me exhausted, no wonder he kept getting cramps!

ensco
11-10-2011, 10:38 PM

Ow. I have never heard of this injury. That must hurt like the devil.

Roogsy
11-10-2011, 10:49 PM
:eek6:

I've hurt myself on the field pretty bad but I don't even want to know what that feels like.

swan
11-10-2011, 10:53 PM
i thought he did not to bad when he was out on the wing created a ton of chances yes he missed but everyone does.. he had the seed to play the forward and get back and help defense...

but to expensive..

Whoop
11-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Never heard of a dislocated ankle?

It's not pretty.

Worst dislocation I've seen is a dislocated knee.

Pigfynn
11-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I've seen a dislocated ankle up close and personal, it is usually accompanied by a lower leg break of some kind. It can result in screws and pins and all that nice stuff, just ask my brother.

Awful. that's shitty for Chaddy.

jloome
11-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Back in about '93, I was playing in a men's rec league in northern Ontario and usually played goal. One night, the other team was short players and defaulted. But we decided to play anyway, with me playing striker.

So I took one step up the pitch, stepped in a gopher hole, tore all four ligaments in my left, broke one bone and almost completely separated it at the joint.

Apparently, the popping sound could be heard the next pitch over. Four months in a cast.

james
11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
The scorn for Garcia was justified for a time, but he was more than serviceable towards the end of his tenure here, and people continued to slag him because he had become a scapegoat by that point.

- Scott

meh i dont care what anyone says, he was the worst player to ever play for TFC in my eyes!

Chevy
11-11-2011, 09:51 PM
meh i dont care what anyone says, he was the worst player to ever play for TFC in my eyes!

James, meet Adam Braz.

Yohan
11-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I would say Barrett is much better than Sooslma overall. Barrett is a real pest to plya against as a defender. Defenders doing like being hounded and tackles, and barrett doesn't give any defender any time to linger. Barrett is worth much more than just goals (which we know he doesn't score enough of), his overall play and "defending from the front" is excellent. Soolsma is really only an attack minded wide player, he doens't do anywhere near as much charging around and hounding as barrett. Just watching barrett run around all match made me exhausted, no wonder he kept getting cramps!
Barrett was starting to develop a real partnership with Robbie Keane. Barrett's work rate was creating space for Keane and his pace to exploit. LA doesn't have much of depth strikers, maybe except Cristman if Arena chooses to go target man vs strong Houston defenders. or put Landon Donovan up front with Keane, but you're getting essentially same kind of strikers and you leave LA's midfield weaker.

Barrett will be missed by LA on Cup final

cmonyoureds
11-12-2011, 10:37 PM
James, meet Adam Braz.

either of you ever see andrea lombardo play?

rocker
11-13-2011, 09:20 AM
either of you ever see andrea lombardo play?

Lombardo was better than Braz... but Marco Reda was worse than Braz.
Marco Reda was the human pylon, doing the "Reda dance" every game (wave to the linesman for offside after getting beaten).

But I think we already had a thread on worst TFC player in history.

trane
11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Barrett was starting to develop a real partnership with Robbie Keane. Barrett's work rate was creating space for Keane and his pace to exploit. LA doesn't have much of depth strikers, maybe except Cristman if Arena chooses to go target man vs strong Houston defenders. or put Landon Donovan up front with Keane, but you're getting essentially same kind of strikers and you leave LA's midfield weaker.

Barrett will be missed by LA on Cup final

I can see Barrett being a good partner for a striker that can finish.

jloome
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM

One is an out-and-out winger (and a good one, at that), the other is a striker who in his best season and with the second-most shots on goal of his entire team managed 9 goals.

Secondly, I always hear how much Chad Barrett's work ethic is worth, but he's always the guy taking the shot, so how is that true? He's not drawing the centre of the defence apart, he's not taking major heat off other players.

I like Chad Barrett too. He has some skills and he's good at getting into space. But comparing these two and declaring Barrett a much better player is purely ridiculous.

And on our team, the way it's built, I'd take Nick Soolsma every single time over Barrett, who would be an exceedingly poor man version of either of our regular two guys in the middle, Koevermans and Avila.

LA can afford to employ a forward as an annoyance and to draw players away from trailing dangermen like Donovan and Juninho but he's not even the best player on that team at that role, Mike McGee is.

loconet
11-18-2011, 08:27 AM
He won't get to play in the final :(

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mls-galaxy-houston-20111118,0,7911542.story

Fort York Redcoat
11-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Now that's Barrett's out we can always give the nod to Todd Dunivant.:D

http://rsc.imscouting.com/players/todd-dunivant/?w=141&h=141

burlington Red
11-20-2011, 02:56 AM
One is an out-and-out winger (and a good one, at that), the other is a striker who in his best season and with the second-most shots on goal of his entire team managed 9 goals.

Secondly, I always hear how much Chad Barrett's work ethic is worth, but he's always the guy taking the shot, so how is that true? He's not drawing the centre of the defence apart, he's not taking major heat off other players.

I like Chad Barrett too. He has some skills and he's good at getting into space. But comparing these two and declaring Barrett a much better player is purely ridiculous.

And on our team, the way it's built, I'd take Nick Soolsma every single time over Barrett, who would be an exceedingly poor man version of either of our regular two guys in the middle, Koevermans and Avila.

LA can afford to employ a forward as an annoyance and to draw players away from trailing dangermen like Donovan and Juninho but he's not even the best player on that team at that role, Mike McGee is.

Soolsma is an out and out winger, can you let Winter know that, as he played a fair chunk of his playing time as a striker