PDA

View Full Version : Who do you consider TFC's rivals?

Yohan
11-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Obviously Montreal and Columbus, but who else? Vancouver a little, but do people really don't like NY still?

London
11-05-2011, 07:06 AM
we had a good rivalry going with chicago but scheduling took care of that the last 2 seasons.

i dont care about columbus anymore

red bull beats the hell out of tfc often so i see the hatred twards them

Island Man
11-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Montreal, Colombus and New York. The fact that Marquez is with New York as well makes it worse.

Don't really consider Vancouver a rival, they have Hassli after all!

Oldtimer
11-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Montreal, Colombus and New York. The fact that Marquez is with New York as well makes it worse.

Don't really consider Vancouver a rival, they have Hassli after all!

What he said.

Montreal because of our history of rivalry in all sports (hockey, gridiron, baseball back in the day, you name it). It could be championship tiddly-winks, if Montreal is there, they will always be the #1 rival.

Columbus, not because of the Trillium cup, but because of how much negative history there is with that scummy city, taser-happy cops, media, Colombus FO, and xenophobes like Bill Archer.

New York, because their team has been unsportsmanlike, and our players have always considered them a rival.

We have to beat Vancouver to get the Voyageurs Cup, but besides that care only slightly about them, and that because they are Canadian.

swan
11-05-2011, 08:31 AM
1. columbus

2. columbus

3. columbus

i fuckin hate them.

PopePouri
11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Vancouver is a rival for me because of the way their fans acted during the NCC final.

Yeoman
11-05-2011, 09:02 AM
montreal will be the only team i have true hatred towards

AL-MO
11-05-2011, 09:38 AM
1 a - Montreal

1 b - Columbus

After that there are some teams I'd like to beat but I don't consider rivalries yet. Although the players said a few years ago that New York was the biggest rivalry.

AL-MO
11-05-2011, 09:39 AM
What he said.

Montreal because of our history of rivalry in all sports (hockey, gridiron, baseball back in the day, you name it). It could be championship tiddly-winks, if Montreal is there, they will always be the #1 rival.

I think it goes deeper than than OT. ;)

Fort York Redcoat
11-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Montreal. The end. To call any others rivals is just trying to hard.

zeelaw
11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Columbus and Montreal, lets not force anything else. Montreal because of obvious reason and KKKolumbus for obvious reasons lol.

Keystone FC
11-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I think Montreal will (and in some ways already has) be our main rivals just based on NCC play the past four years (along with other historical applications). CBus will go by the wayside as they are no longer to hold the "You've Never Beaten Us" montra over TFC.

Flint
11-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Montreal. The hate is just rooted deep in my bones for any montreal team.

Columbus is second. Fuck them.

trane
11-05-2011, 03:56 PM
I have not hate for Montreal. But I hate pretty well any US based MLS team, outside of Portland, Seattle and Philadelphia. It is a Canadian nationalist thing with me.

ArmenJBX
11-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Vancouver is our rivals. There's no hate or animosity, only competitive attitudes.

Montreal is our enemy. They are the anti-Toronto.

Columbus is our trolls. They are purely annoying and the only reason we get mad is because we let them piss us off.

Blazer
11-05-2011, 04:27 PM
There is no team I hate more than Limp Act, Crew, and Bulls. In that order, I would say, exist our most feverished rivals.

LesH
11-05-2011, 05:08 PM
1. Montreal (too many reasons!)
2 . Vancouver (just because they're Canadian team...)

PS: I never ever cared about Columbus

Redcoe15
11-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Columbus because... it's Columbus. Vancouver because their sportsfans are douchebags. And Montreal becausof the history in other sports AND because of what happened in the 2008 NCC.

Potential rivals: Seattle.

Yohan
11-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Seattle? What has seattle done to deserve our hate?

Brooker
11-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Montreal.

Who doesn't hate hipsters?

TFCRegina
11-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Obvious offseason thread is obvious.

Yeoman
11-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I have not hate for Montreal. But I hate pretty well any US based MLS team, outside of Portland, Seattle and Philadelphia. It is a Canadian nationalist thing with me.

sounds like a cascadian at heart
dun dun dun

Ossington Mental Youth
11-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I reserve 98 percent of my hate for Montreal and 2 percent for Columbus.
Im certain that once Montreal joins Columbus wont even matter anymore.
Vancouver kinda but mostly they dont really even show up on the radar unless its to berate my friends dad.

Shakes McQueen
11-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Montreal and Columbus. Vancouver I'm indifferent towards - they are thousands of miles away, for crying out loud.

Montreal I hate because it's Montreal. No further explanation necessary.

Columbus was no doubt a "thrown together" rivalry by the league at one time, but the clusterfuck that happened there a couple of years ago with the police, the fact that they had our number for several years, and the general shitty nature of their fans, has made me grow to hate them.

Seriously - fuck Columbus.

I also reserve a minor amount of hate for the New Jersey Energy Drinks

- Scott

Blazer
11-05-2011, 08:24 PM
^ Agreed. Columbus and Montreal are real rivaries we have with histories. The others are fabricated or anticipated rivaries.

rocker
11-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Montreal is #1. (Remember, they've never beaten us in a game).

Columbus I dislike. But the town is so irrelevant that I don't really care.

These are not our rivals, but I also dislike New York, Seattle, Vancouver. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Vancouver finish with a slightly worse points per game in 2011 than TFC had in 2007. And that was after hearing in the spring about how awesome they were going to be, and how strong their defense was going to be, and how they had a great shot at making the playoffs. Sure.... I called bottom three in the league, and I was right... and it felt so good to see them "exceed" my expectations. Seattle bugs me because they've had it too easy ;) And Sigi's gut takes up too much of the TV screen.

TFCRegina
11-05-2011, 08:50 PM
1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3. Columbus

Oldtimer
11-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I think it goes deeper than than OT. ;)

Of course, but I'm staying out of politics, language, culture, and commercial rivalry and just focusing on the sports rivalry at this point.

jloome
11-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Seattle = hipster douchebags

Columbus = Douchebags

TFC07
11-06-2011, 12:57 AM
1. Montreal (No need to explain why they're number enemy)
2. Vancouver (a lot of history with them in NCC)
3. Columbus (this rivalry is dying now because two other Canadian teams entering in MLS though).

That's all!

Seattle, New York etc.. don't even register on my radar. TFC and city of Toronto generally don't have any history with those cities and their teams.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Seattle, New York etc.. don't even register on my radar. TFC and city of Toronto generally don't have any history with those cities and their teams.

i feel the same way

Cashcleaner
11-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Montreal is Toronto's natural rival in pretty much all fields. The two cities are just so different from each other, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there is so much animosity between them. Funnily enough, all the people there we've run into who weren't Impact fans (including the bartender at our hotel last visit) were pretty cool with us and showed a lot of hospitality. Now the scum who follow that shitty-ass blue team and who like to jump visiting TFC fans wandering alone in a park can lick my asshole

As for Vancouver - c'mon, they're not even in the same conference as us. I can't take them seriously on account of geography alone. Columbus is a town I dislike with fans I dislike. What bothers me most about the Crew fans is the fact that they have this weird self-affirmation thing going on with us. It's like the only way they'll be happy with themselves is if we give them any sort of attention. It's actually kinda pathetic, really, like a little kid having a tantrum.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
11-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Columbus....

Maybe Montreal will heat up next season.....

But for now......there is only one team/supporters i cant stand..and thats the CREW

__wowza
11-07-2011, 09:10 AM
1. columbus

2. columbus

3. columbus

i fuckin hate them.

i dont hate columbus, theyre just cunts.
the win we got over them put an end to the "rivalry" in my opinion, and that rivalry was born out of the league endlessly trying to push a derby between the two of us.

i have more hate directed towards vancouver than anything else, and openly took joy in knocking them out of the voyagers cup in the past. it's fun hearing them complain. when montreal comes into the league it's a whole new ballgame.

honestly, how can you hate columbus and all 6,000 of the fans that pack their stadium? why waste the passion?

Redcoe15
11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
One word: FURRIES!

ryan
11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Montreal - Obvious history with Leafs/Habs, Argos/Als, French/English...etc.
Columbus - Our original MLS rival and a total fucking scumbag shithole place where even if the club wins, the fans suck. And they're fucking piss yellow.
New York - More history with Leafs/Rangers, Jays/Yankees...and I mean everyone fucking hates NY. Feels more intense when we play.

Vancouver tries hard to generate a rivalry with Toronto just as a city but Toronto is too arrogant and self centered to pay those damn hippies any attention, so while they are more fun to play/beat than a Portland or Chivas...they aren't a rival.

TFC07
11-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Montreal is Toronto's natural rival in pretty much all fields. The two cities are just so different from each other, it shouldn't come as a surprise that there is so much animosity between them. Funnily enough, all the people there we've run into who weren't Impact fans (including the bartender at our hotel last visit) were pretty cool with us and showed a lot of hospitality. Now the scum who follow that shitty-ass blue team and who like to jump visiting TFC fans wandering alone in a park can lick my asshole

As for Vancouver - c'mon, they're not even in the same conference as us. I can't take them seriously on account of geography alone. Columbus is a town I dislike with fans I dislike. What bothers me most about the Crew fans is the fact that they have this weird self-affirmation thing going on with us. It's like the only way they'll be happy with themselves is if we give them any sort of attention. It's actually kinda pathetic, really, like a little kid having a tantrum.

So rivarly has to be based on geography now? :facepalm:

Vancouver is our rivalry due to our history with them in NCC. They don't like us and we don't like them (both fans and clubs themselves).

Crew rivalry is a joke! Their club and FO never hated us or even cared about us besides selling tickets to TFC fans to pack their stadium. Their very small group of fans on BS isn't enough to consider their club a rival.

MartinUtd
11-07-2011, 10:41 AM

They gave Drew Carey another platform to speak to the media....and that fucking travesty of a brass band.

For me though.. it's Vancouver, then Montreal/Columbus. All bets are off next season though. I feel like it's a fresh start with all three of Canada's big teams in MLS.

sully
11-07-2011, 11:00 AM
L.A. Cos they're the best team in the league.

nascarguy
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Montreal

swan
11-07-2011, 11:24 AM
i dont hate columbus, theyre just cunts.
the win we got over them put an end to the "rivalry" in my opinion, and that rivalry was born out of the league endlessly trying to push a derby between the two of us.

i have more hate directed towards vancouver than anything else, and openly took joy in knocking them out of the voyagers cup in the past. it's fun hearing them complain. when montreal comes into the league it's a whole new ballgame.

honestly, how can you hate columbus and all 6,000 of the fans that pack their stadium? why waste the passion?

up to you but 1 win isn't going to let me forget the hate that has built up for this team...

trane
11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
sounds like a cascadian at heart
dun dun dun

Hahahaha. I now that the world view is different, and Phili is another city I like to visit. Love New York, and want to head out to Chicago and Boston, but their supporters I do not like.

The fucking Revs, and their minutemen, to NFL/College for my taste.

JonO
11-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Is MLSE a valid answer? :D

Ben - D.O.W.
11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
What he said.

Columbus, not because of the Trillium cup, but because of how much negative history there is with that scummy city, taser-happy cops, media, Colombus FO, and xenophobes like Bill Archer.

New York, because their team has been unsportsmanlike, and our players have always considered them a rival.

We have to beat Vancouver to get the Voyageurs Cup, but besides that care only slightly about them, and that because they are Canadian.

Could not agree more. Well said.

Also I hate many of the fans in Columbus from personal experience, and the only city that could touch that is Philly (sorry, Chester PA) but considering I am planning on never going back there I figure that can't really count. Also talking to friends in Boston and telling them about the dick Philly fans they knew exactly who I meant from their teams trips there.

Couchy81
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Montreal.
Vancouver.

It's a national pride thing. I can see why people put Columbus on that list, but honestly like someone else said they are just douchebags in a douchey city with stupid cops and whatever, every team they play has to deal with that. When it comes to sport, the Cup is pure fabrication and we've tied and beaten them this year so meh.

Parkdale
11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
despite the fact that New England has destoryed us many times, and yet we always seem to have big games against them too (pitch invasion, last game of this year) we always seem to stay positive about it.

To use a double negative - I don't dislike their team. I don't like them either, but I don't dislike them.

Columbus though.... fuck em.

Yohan
11-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't recall New England 'destroying' TFC a lot, only once in last couple of years? TFC has been pretty competitive with New England IIRC

Parkdale
11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't recall New England 'destroying' TFC a lot, only once in last couple of years? TFC has been pretty competitive with New England IIRC

2007 first road trip 4-0
2010 first road trip 4-1

they've given us a few really embarassing defeats. We're usually extatic to draw them.

__wowza
11-07-2011, 02:38 PM
up to you but 1 win isn't going to let me forget the hate that has built up for this team...

it's just made me care about them less. we've slayed the dragon. they can't say "youve never beaten us!" anymore and that's really all they've had.

i lol'd at my desk.

Technorgasm
11-07-2011, 02:47 PM
1. Montreal
2. America

Pretty much hate every opponent, apart from Limpact, equally. .

They stand in oru way, so we must crush them. its that easy.
on of th4se days we will win 10 game. . . . . in the same season!
and that will eb sweet.
Ill drink to it!

__wowza
11-07-2011, 03:30 PM
They stand in oru way, so we must crush them. its that easy.
on of th4se days we will win 10 game. . . . . in the same season!
and that will eb sweet.
Ill drink to it!

"th4se"? "eb"? spells like you've already been drinking to it.. :D

swan
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
What he said.

see that don't work for me cause i don't cheer for and other toronto team other then TFC so none of that fits me...

i look at it just with tfc and what other soccer team has pissed me off the most and there is no other then the yellow piss stains of the crew and their fans..

MartinUtd
11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Could not agree more. Well said.

Also I hate many of the fans in Columbus from personal experience, and the only city that could touch that is Philly (sorry, Chester PA) but considering I am planning on never going back there I figure that can't really count. Also talking to friends in Boston and telling them about the dick Philly fans they knew exactly who I meant from their teams trips there.

What happened? I'd never fuck with a beard like what you're sporting.

Cashcleaner
11-08-2011, 12:33 AM
So rivarly has to be based on geography now? :facepalm:

Vancouver is our rivalry due to our history with them in NCC. They don't like us and we don't like them (both fans and clubs themselves).

Crew rivalry is a joke! Their club and FO never hated us or even cared about us besides selling tickets to TFC fans to pack their stadium. Their very small group of fans on BS isn't enough to consider their club a rival.

A rivalry doesn't have to be based on geography, but it should be obvious to anyone out of grade school that it certainly helps.

As for Vancouver, they're sorta in the same camp as Crew fans. Vancouverites sure love to talk shit about Toronto, but do people here reciprocate? I don't think we do, at least not as much as other (and interestingly enough, closer) MLS clubs.

Ben - D.O.W.
11-08-2011, 09:56 AM
What happened? I'd never fuck with a beard like what you're sporting.

Haha - thanks, my beard appreciates it.

There was a group of 'fans' in Philly who spent the whole game, backs facing the game, calling us out to 'fight at halftime' or 'fight after the game'. Just generally being dick bags to us for 90 minutes for no real reason.

And after being to Chester PA, and seeing the prison just down the street, there is no way I would ever be okay with spending so much as a night there.

drewski
11-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Montreal, for obvious reasons, and Columbus, which may have started out as a manufactured rivalry but given the crap that has gone on when we go down, its real now.

TFC07
11-08-2011, 10:23 AM
A rivalry doesn't have to be based on geography, but it should be obvious to anyone out of grade school that it certainly helps.

As for Vancouver, they're sorta in the same camp as Crew fans. Vancouverites sure love to talk shit about Toronto, but do people here reciprocate? I don't think we do, at least not as much as other (and interestingly enough, closer) MLS clubs.

Given the world we live in now, it shouldn't be much of a factor.

Just judging based on this thread, I would say people do hate Vancouver and probably hate them more than Crew.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
dunno bout that dude, i counted more columbus' then vancouvers.

RealG-TFC
11-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Montreal, for obvious reasons, and Columbus, which may have started out as a manufactured rivalry but given the crap that has gone on when we go down, its real now.

This.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Dont think anything but the Trillium cup was ever manufactured, their fans are really dicks as is Bill whats his name (is he even around anymore?), dont think the rivalry was as intense as it is now or prior to the cup but all that shit that went down in columbus definitely stoked the fire

trane
11-08-2011, 11:39 AM

For me is certainly is. I hate seeing the word.

AL-MO
11-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Of course, but I'm staying out of politics, language, culture, and commercial rivalry and just focusing on the sports rivalry at this point.

Impossible.

Oldtimer
11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Impossible.

Impossible is nothing. :D

habstfc
11-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Montreal will be the biggest rival with tfc. How could it be anyone else?

Carefree
11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I think the "rivalry" with Columbus was manufactured out of convenience. We needed a rival during our first few seasons, and Columbus was geographically the closest opponent. Over the years there have been a few genuine moments that would otherwise lead to something resembling a rivalry, but I think these will soon fade out of memory. I have no hate for Columbus; how can you hate something so pathetic?

To develop a real rivalry we need to be able to interact with opposing fans, and so far our only real contact has been with Columbus. But because of past experience none of our fans go there anymore, and it'll be a while before we go back there in numbers. New York and Chicago should have been our natural rivals, but nothing significant has ever happened between us and their supporters. Particularly since in the past two years our away games there were all scheduled at very inconvenient times. NYRB supporters don't come here, and in all my contacts with Chicago fans I have found them to be really nice guys. Again, no hate there.

That leaves Montreal. Even outside of football we already hate them and they hate us just as much (trust me, I grew up there). If the games are scheduled right there will definitely be some travelling support in either direction, and that will foster a good, genuine rivalry.

jaahuuu
11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I have no hate for Columbus; how can you hate something so pathetic?
It took 13 tries for TFC to beat them.

Carefree
11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I was talking about their support, and the city in general.

Yohan
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I was talking about their support, and the city in general.
there are more than one way for a rivalry to develop... heck, Chicago and Dallas used to have a pretty fierce rivalry and that's a bit out of blue in my book

swan
11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I think the "rivalry" with Columbus was manufactured out of convenience. We needed a rival during our first few seasons, and Columbus was geographically the closest opponent. Over the years there have been a few genuine moments that would otherwise lead to something resembling a rivalry, but I think these will soon fade out of memory. I have no hate for Columbus; how can you hate something so pathetic?

To develop a real rivalry we need to be able to interact with opposing fans, and so far our only real contact has been with Columbus. But because of past experience none of our fans go there anymore, and it'll be a while before we go back there in numbers. New York and Chicago should have been our natural rivals, but nothing significant has ever happened between us and their supporters. Particularly since in the past two years our away games there were all scheduled at very inconvenient times. NYRB supporters don't come here, and in all my contacts with Chicago fans I have found them to be really nice guys. Again, no hate there.

That leaves Montreal. Even outside of football we already hate them and they hate us just as much (trust me, I grew up there). If the games are scheduled right there will definitely be some travelling support in either direction, and that will foster a good, genuine rivalry.

thats what everyone says yeah they made us play them all the time at the beginning of the year and had the T cup but that's it how does that make it a manufactured thing we hated them because they are dicks and all the crap they have thrown at us not cause of the the other..

james
11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Montreal true rivals all around from on field to after game fight.

Columbus i just hate there fans, such wannabe hooligan kids

NYRB, why do we hate them? ive never understood that, ive yet to ever meet there fans so i have no reason to really hate them.

Vancouver?? i dont know if its true or not from what ive herd people in vancouver always hate Toronto? im not sure, but for me they are just to far away for me to care, they are not even on my radar.

glaze
12-01-2011, 06:36 PM
To develop a real rivalry we need to be able to interact with opposing fans,

I totally agree. That's what makes european football so much more exciting to follow. You have true rivalries, and derby's. The supporters can easily hop on a train (or plane) to follow their team to away matches. Our franchises here are just so far away, and travel is expensive that creating a proper rivalry with a team like even Vancouver is difficult.

Hopefully the Montreal supporters will show up this year, and we can create a rivalry along the lines of Portland/Seattle.

T-boy
12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Coming from England, the only ravalries that really count are the local derby games.

Columbus has been a contrived rivalry based on nothing....maybe the fact that they are geographically the closest team to us....but barely, you can get to New York just as quick as you can Columbus!

TFC's one and only rival from this point onwards will be Montreal, and it will be totally justified. The closest team in distance, the closest Canadian team etc. All we need is a bit of a fight in the first game (on the pitch between a couple of players of course, not in the stands...!) and some controversy, and the rivalry would be set for years to come.

Nobody will care about Columbus after we play MLS Montreal for the frist time.

My team back in England - Oxford, are playing their local rivals Swindon, for the first time in years in February. That game sold OUT in November - its that much of a passionate rivalry! And those two teams are League Two!

Local Derby rivalry runs deep!

jloome
12-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Columbus has been a contrived rivalry based on nothing...

No, it WAS a contrived rivalry based on nothing. Then they arrested and harassed our fans for basically nothing and unleashed fucking riot police on them at the stadium. Plus, their fans (and occasionally, just fan) spent half the first three seasons of TFCs existent spewing xenophobic shit about Canada.

Hate the fucking crew.

Shakes McQueen
12-01-2011, 11:59 PM
No, it WAS a contrived rivalry based on nothing. Then they arrested and harassed our fans for basically nothing and unleashed fucking riot police on them at the stadium. Plus, their fans (and occasionally, just fan) spent half the first three seasons of TFCs existent spewing xenophobic shit about Canada.

Hate the fucking crew.

Exactly. It may have been slapped together by the league initially, but Columbus (the players, the fans, the city, and the writers) have done more than enough to earn their place as a genuinely hated rival.

That road trip a couple of years ago cemented it. A rivalry based on actual incidents is as real as rivalries get.

- Scott

Whoop
12-02-2011, 12:01 AM
I hate Columbus as pointed out by others... but as the league continues to grow, the biggest rivalry will soon be, and very soon, the Montreal Impact.

Hands down.

T-boy
12-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Exactly. It may have been slapped together by the league initially, but Columbus (the players, the fans, the city, and the writers) have done more than enough to earn their place as a genuinely hated rival.

That road trip a couple of years ago cemented it. A rivalry based on actual incidents is as real as rivalries get.

- Scott

True....but actually, this is the first time I've ever heard of any of this happening! I may be a TFC season ticket holder since year one, but having never been on the road (like the majority of TFC fans) I know nothing of these events. So, although this may cement a rivalry to those who were there, it doesn't do anything for the majority of people who weren't.

Montreal will still end up being the actual "local derby rivals" of TFC from 2012 season onwards, and even with the events you described above, Montreal will rapidly become the average TFC fans most hated MLS teams.

I've been wondering actually....will you guys sing Qu'est que vous chantez when Montreal are in town?????? We started with this chant in year one as it was uniquely Canadian, and stupid American's wouldn't understand it....but its a little defunct now that Montreal are in the league? Can we see Montreal fans taking this song and making their own, and undermining us? I'd definitely say its a big possibility, and that would really take off the shine to that chant as a TFC chant. It will be unfortunate, as we all like singing it!

Cashcleaner
12-02-2011, 04:27 AM

- Scott

Because it was a league-mandated and arbitrary ruling that led to the rivalry, that's exactly why I believe we should refuse to recognize it. You're right in that the animosity that now occurs between TFC and Crew fans is based off our very real experiences that have happened over the years, but that knowledge of how it all came about is still in the back of my mind.

Fort York Redcoat
12-02-2011, 06:57 AM
I've been wondering actually....will you guys sing Qu'est que vous chantez when Montreal are in town?????? We started with this chant in year one as it was uniquely Canadian, and stupid American's wouldn't understand it....but its a little defunct now that Montreal are in the league? Can we see Montreal fans taking this song and making their own, and undermining us? I'd definitely say its a big possibility, and that would really take off the shine to that chant as a TFC chant. It will be unfortunate, as we all like singing it!

T we've been singing that song at Montreal and at home when they've visited for years now. That and other songs with french in them. It's ours as much as anyone's but it's used for Canada as well which makes it a song up for grabs for any Canadian club side.

Montreal has been singing it almost as long as we have.

Lucky Strike
12-02-2011, 08:57 AM
For me, the main rivals are (in no particular order): Montreal, Vancouver, and Columbus.

The order in which we place them in is very subjective in that some rivalries are more intense at different times. For instance in 2009, Columbus was probably #1 because of 2008 opening day and the 2009 fiasco. But now since they don't have the undefeated thing anymore and with the coming of Montreal in the league, that's cooled off - not gone entirely, but less intense.

The Montreal rivalry was hot in 2008 until 2009 and the Montreal Miracle. Now that we've haven't played them in a little while, it cooled down but will probably heat back up with Montreal in the league, bringing their "LOL" garbage bags wherever they go.

Vancouver was probably at its height this year, starting back in 2009 when they felt robbed of the NCC.

So really, it's not about a ranked list - it goes up and down based on what happens recently.

P.S. The Columbus thing started "real" in 2008 with us embarrassing them with 2500 fans in their stadium. It continued in 2009 and with the xenophobic comments. That's all real. MLS jumped on that and gave us the "fake" Trillium stuff but the rivalry (such as you feel it is now) was not manufactured. MLS tried to artifically increase it, but it turns out it wasn't necessary.

T-boy
12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
T we've been singing that song at Montreal and at home when they've visited for years now. That and other songs with french in them. It's ours as much as anyone's but it's used for Canada as well which makes it a song up for grabs for any Canadian club side.

Montreal has been singing it almost as long as we have.

But they haven't brought a thousand fans to BMO and all chanted it at the same time. It would make us look a little silly if they all came here and chanted it! All fans singing the same song at the same time should never happen, if you are rival teams!

Rivalry is such a friendly thing in Canada!

Fort York Redcoat
12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
^But they can't bring a thousand fans here. We don't have the space for them.

Besides they can't sing the exact same song. Their team isn't red.

Oh and you should defo get to Montreal this year to see how "friendly" we are to each other.

Pookie
12-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Interesting to see Columbus mentioned and then dismissed in the same breath.

Probably one of the more popular post game threads was after the win in Columbus this year. Like it or not, they are in our heads and that rivalry is alive and well.

Surprising that with Davies in DC that they haven't been mentioned. Fans in DC seem nice but combine his taunting with a DeRo story angle and a push for the 2012 playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if those games are a little extra special next year.

Yohan
12-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Surprising that with Davies in DC that they haven't been mentioned. Fans in DC seem nice but combine his taunting with a DeRo story angle and a push for the 2012 playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if those games are a little extra special next year.
Davies isn't with DC anymore.

DC having DeRo doesn't make me want to hate them more. More like ambivalent.

I don't see a rivalry with DC

T-boy
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
^But they can't bring a thousand fans here. We don't have the space for them.

Besides they can't sing the exact same song. Their team isn't red.

Oh and you should defo get to Montreal this year to see how "friendly" we are to each other.

I'm definitely planning on it :) I can't wait!

billyfly
12-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I consider TFC and Toronto's rivals any team that does not have the word TORONTO written on their uniform.

Pookie
12-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Davies isn't with DC anymore.

DC having DeRo doesn't make me want to hate them more. More like ambivalent.

I don't see a rivalry with DC

My bad. Where did Davies end up?

Brooker
12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
He was on loan from France.

jloome
12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
True....but actually, this is the first time I've ever heard of any of this happening! I may be a TFC season ticket holder since year one, but having never been on the road (like the majority of TFC fans) I know nothing of these events. So, although this may cement a rivalry to those who were there, it doesn't do anything for the majority of people who weren't.

It was on CNN and the front page of the national post. It was a national headline for three days (three shameful days, given how many outlets got the facts wrong, but I digress.) Everyone here knew about it, it was debated by thousands of fans online, both at this site and elsewhere. That makes it a pretty good standard for the majority, I'd say.

Kaz
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Montreal is Toronto's Natural Rival, it's like a Lion vs a Tiger.

The Columbus Rivalary is like a Lion vs a lame bobcat. You almost have to let them win because they have to go back to Columbus at the end of the day.

Brocko
12-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Montreal and Columbus!! No one else matters;)

TorontoGooner
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm going to put my neck out here but trouble in the stands can normally accelerate a rivalry in football. Palace and Brighton aren't really that close geographically but since the 80's when it all kicked off they hate each other. The intensity born out of two sets of people who despise each other, can weirdly make for incredible atmospheres.

Geography is the biggest factor though. I hate Spurs because they play 2 miles away. Irrational, yes, but I can't help it. I can't wait for Montreal to join. The trip up there, hopefully taking up 3,000 or 4,000 TFC fans and out-singing them, it could be awesome. Also, the two cities already hate each other!

I don't want to see trouble at games over here, and I haven't. But intensity in support, especially at away games is something I'd love and would fuel a rivalry