PDA

View Full Version : NCC in 2012

11-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Any word on format for next year?
I would assume we're still the 1 seed, and Edmonton is the 4 seed.
Which we should obviously relish.

Stouffville_RPB
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Way too early, but if the format is kept the same then the matchups from this season would also be the same.

Mark in Ottawa
11-04-2011, 09:27 AM
With only 4 teams (what a joke) involved it shouldn't be too hard to have a draw like the ones they use for the English FA Cup where first drawn is home to second drawn and then third drawn home to fourth to get the whole thing started.

TotalFootball
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
I heard that the CSL teams want to be part of it in a preliminary round.

prizby
11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
i hear they will start with games in March just to screw with tfc's champions league hopes

Oldtimer
11-04-2011, 09:51 AM
I heard that the CSL teams want to be part of it in a preliminary round.

The CSL Prez said a while ago they would only want to be a part of it if the higher sides fund the travel costs. CSL sides run on a very tiny budget. Unlike England, our cup takes place over a very large area, so travel costs are high.

Will they fund it? Not likely at all. TFC would have to play at Lamport, given the 300 who would show up to see TFC thrash a CSL side. Not worth their time.

Mark in Ottawa
11-04-2011, 03:36 PM
The CSL Prez said a while ago they would only want to be a part of it if the higher sides fund the travel costs. CSL sides run on a very tiny budget. Unlike England, our cup takes place over a very large area, so travel costs are high.

Will they fund it? Not likely at all. TFC would have to play at Lamport, given the 300 who would show up to see TFC thrash a CSL side. Not worth their time.
So why not have prelim rounds like they do in the FA Cup??
Lower Tier teams would play one another, maybe within geographic boundaries to limit travel and expenses like they do in Memorial Cup hockey, and then the later rounds introduce the professional teams.

It is a chance to try to generate interest at the local levels for local teams. And if a team was worried that it wouldn't be worth their while they could opt out of competing.

DichioTFC
11-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Couldn't the CSA fund / reap the rewards of something like this? The long-term profit potential is huge IMO. And, of course, there's that whole growth of domestic soccer mandate that they have.

Yohan
11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
and a cinderella story is always a good PR

DichioTFC
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I would pay money to see Serbian White Eagles or any other semi-pro team make a run. The local clubs need the press.

MarkEightThree
11-04-2011, 04:56 PM
The problem is stability within the Canadian 3rd div. There's always talk of teams leaving, joining and entirely new 3rd Division leagues being started. I'm pretty sure Quebec has just created a new league for the 2012 season.

I still think the best idea would be regional leagues playing for an end of the year championship like the Canadian Hockey League's Memorial Cup, with the winning team from that competition then joining the NCC. As for costs, let the regional league foot the bill for the winner. I'm sure they'll get a portion of advertising money from Nutrilite.

SilverSamurai
11-04-2011, 11:50 PM
So why not have prelim rounds like they do in the FA Cup??
Lower Tier teams would play one another, maybe within geographic boundaries to limit travel and expenses like they do in Memorial Cup hockey, and then the later rounds introduce the professional teams.

It is a chance to try to generate interest at the local levels for local teams. And if a team was worried that it wouldn't be worth their while they could opt out of competing.
That's exactly my thought.
Have an East and West starter round. The winners face off against each other and then the winner of that match has a shot at the #4 spot from the previous year a la wildcard. Sort of like relegation. If the say the 2011 team with the #4 spot loses to say a CSL team, they have to enter retry next yr via the regional preliminary rounds. The #4 team from the previous years keeps their #4 spot and has to "defend" their #4 spot via the wildcard
At this point when you have 4 teams, pairings should be decided by a draw. The previous years winner, should decide on if they want to play at home or away 1st.
If team 1 and team 4 are always playing each other, it's not going to be interesting at all.

Problem is with the main "matches" starting in May, it'd be too cold to really get people into it.

We really should get the Turks and Caicos to join Canada. Then we'd have a nice warm place to watch soccer in. Imagine a TFC training camp in WARM weather, but still in the same country.
I"ll go dream now...