PDA

View Full Version : German DW-TV: Torsten Frings and Frank Rost in North America

ChrisFizik
11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Special Report: Torsten Frings and Frank Rost in North America | Kick off!

featuring some familiar faces! thought this deserved its own thread.

Our good German friends provide English voiceover which is great.

RC3Mzt9SgNo

:)

ChrisFizik
11-02-2011, 09:39 PM
(and the original German report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2joLr7X_w if you want to hear Phil's German stand in voice..haha)

great report, glad they used the footage. I don't know if the english report is a bit 'lost in translation' or what...but the phrases seem sorta condescending at points!? haha Maybe to be expected.... damn Bundesliga snobs..haha

TFC07
11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Good find.

Kind of sad to see a lot of Torontoians don't know who Frings or any other TFC players for that matter.

It just shows how irrelevant TFC is in Toronto.

kodiakTFC
11-02-2011, 10:18 PM
That made things look pretty bleak.

rocker
11-03-2011, 12:22 AM
"the guys from Red Patch Boys are nothing if not committed." haha.

Oldtimer
11-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Really highlights the quality difference between a DP and an MLS plumber.

Glad that Frings is enjoying his time here.

Yeoman
11-03-2011, 04:49 PM
thank god i saw phonzo ass
alot of it

phonzo
11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
thank god i saw phonzo ass
alot of it

germans love polish ass. Fact

VoxPopuliCosmicum
11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I like the way he explains that he's had to adjust his attitude toward teammates. "I can't just go and start screaming at them when they make a mistake."

The way he says it, it's like he's apologizing to Germans who are wondering why he's being such a pussy in North America. You can almost hear him think, "We all know that, in an ideal world, I would bitch-slap my teammates for even the slightest mistakes, but apparently that's not what one does in North America. Go figure."

james
11-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Good find.

Kind of sad to see a lot of Torontoians don't know who Frings or any other TFC players for that matter.

It just shows how irrelevant TFC is in Toronto.

ya well for most the season i had no idea who anyone was. i went away to Europe for a year and came back and its was an entire new team besides the odd player. Its really hard for fans to get to know the team when they trade that many players year after year.

SilverSamurai
11-03-2011, 11:16 PM
ya well for most the season i had no idea who anyone was. i went away to Europe for a year and came back and its was an entire new team besides the odd player. Its really hard for fans to get to know the team when they trade that many players year after year.
Dude, I have a hard time keeping and I'm here!

Granted, because my job and the team being TERRIBLE last yr, my interest has waned a bit. But I always try to see what's going on.
When the season was starting and DeRo was traded, I didn't feel bad for missing games. Last yr, I'd go crazy if I missed a game.
Part of it could also be that games being on CBC, it was a LOT easier to watch them online. I don't have cable and refuse to blow $50/month on something I'll hardly use. I'd rather take that $600/yr and put it towards a trip.
Also front loading the schedule when it's freezing with horrible weather in March and April was stupid on MLSE's part.
I'm obviously in the minority here though, but with last seasons performances when many here would question the teams passion and desires to wine, why should I as a I fan, not only spend my hard earned dollar, but also freeze my butt off?
Anyways, I'm glad to see with Winter things are looking better though.

Yohan
11-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Also front loading the schedule when it's freezing with horrible weather in March and April was stupid on MLSE's part.
I'm obviously in the minority here though, but with last seasons performances when many here would question the teams passion and desires to wine, why should I as a I fan, not only spend my hard earned dollar, but also freeze my butt off?

is that MLSE's fault, or MLS FO?

PopePouri
11-03-2011, 11:31 PM

It's MLSE's fault...always.

SilverSamurai
11-03-2011, 11:51 PM
MLSE.
We have to blame them for everything. Even when a kitty gets sad. lol

Wouldn't surprise me that it's the league as well though.

Auzzy
11-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Scheduling was mostly MLS.

A bit also due to TV scheduling.

Lastly also due to the need to leave gaps in the TFC schedule later in the year, for NCC/CCL & international games.

Dub Narcotic
11-04-2011, 12:13 AM
(and the original German report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2joLr7X_w if you want to hear Phil's German stand in voice..haha)

great report, glad they used the footage. I don't know if the english report is a bit 'lost in translation' or what...but the phrases seem sorta condescending at points!? haha Maybe to be expected.... damn Bundesliga snobs..haha

Didn't think it was that bad, a lot less snarky than some of the British coverage while being realistic about where the MLS is at.

Glory_Hunter
11-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Would Frings be the most well known athlete in Toronto, or even Canada, if you were to ask someone outside of North America?

Oldtimer
11-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Would Frings be the most well known athlete in Toronto, or even Canada, if you were to ask someone outside of North America?

How would one know? It depends on what sports the person is interested in.
If you're talking, say some olympic sports, toronto has had a number of famous atheletes. If you're talking soccer, Torsten Frings is a big enough name.

Whoop
11-04-2011, 08:25 AM

MLS puts together the schedule but didn't Paul Beirne admit in the town hall that he fucked up on the schedule this year and not do his due diligence on making sure the schedule was balanced?

Pinkie
11-04-2011, 09:44 AM
MLS puts together the schedule but didn't Paul Beirne admit in the town hall that he fucked up on the schedule this year and not do his due diligence on making sure the schedule was balanced?

i remember him admitting the lack of close away trips on weekends being his fault, not the unbalanced schedule.

back to the topic of martin's ass....what a shot LOOOL.

phonzo
11-04-2011, 09:52 AM
i remember him admitting the lack of close away trips on weekends being his fault, not the unbalanced schedule.

:thumbup:

fun fact..after when they were with us at Joe's the reporter admitted the camera guy was a creeper...

Waggy
11-04-2011, 10:08 AM

While most soccer fans know who Frings is, I doubt too many are aware he's in MLS or Canada. I'd think Steve Nash would be more famous as a Canadian amongst Basketball fans (and there are basketball fans EVERYWHERE). Jose Calderon would be up there for world notoriety as well. I'd have to put Mike Weir up there on any list, for sure. Even if his careers almost over. Jacques Villeneuve is in the same boat (he's actually probably the most famous). Milos Raonic will be up there in the next year or 2 as well hopefully. And also hopefully in a few years we'll be adding Myke Kabongo to this list as well.

uncle p
11-04-2011, 10:27 AM

fun fact..after when they were with us at Joe's the reporter admitted the camera guy was a creeper...

Not the greatest word to use when someone's talking about your ass :D

Yeoman
11-04-2011, 04:19 PM

yeah but he kept giving me glares
maybe i shouldn't of be yelling england five germany one though *shrug*

SilverSamurai
11-04-2011, 11:39 PM

Exactly my point. MLSE's fault.
Hopefully they learned, but I'm not holding my breath.
Anyways, back to the show...!

London
11-05-2011, 06:43 AM
wow the support they showed was pretty sparse.

GlenM
11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
WOW, great to see this.

Great to see the German reporters come over to tailgate and Joes later.

Cool, stuff.

Saw myself cheering "coffees" at tailgate while they were interviewing.

LOL :)

GlenM

ensco
11-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Was at a game at Fulham last week. The guys I were sitting with had NO IDEA that Frings was in Canada. They were actually impressed. The were asking good questions, ie "How do you compete for players in a league where the whole point is that people want to play inAmerica, and you're not in America". (I told them they had to find guys like Frings, that were hated by USA fans for injustices in WC play. Someone from Ghana must be coming next!)

btw they did a "Danke Lutscher" thing before the game, with a big sign in the supporters section, in Bremen last weekend.

jabbronies
11-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Cool piece. Good job RooneyRPB.

Funny that they interviewed Rost in Skydome.

Another thing that made me laugh was when Frings said that when a player makes a mistake over here, he can't scream at the guy like he would have in Germany. He had to go over and calmly explain the wrong doings and hope the player gets it right the next time around.

It's like being a kindergarten teacher! lol

SilverSamurai
11-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Was at a game at Fulham last week. The guys I were sitting with had NO IDEA that Frings was in Canada. They were actually impressed. The were asking good questions, ie "How do you compete for players in a league where the whole point is that people want to play inAmerica, and you're not in America". (I told them they had to find guys like Frings, that were hated by USA fans for injustices in WC play. Someone from Ghana must be coming next!)

btw they did a "Danke Lutscher" thing before the game, with a big sign in the supporters section, in Bremen last weekend.
Would be an excellent addition to the team for the CL... ;)

AL-MO
11-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Cool piece. Good job RooneyRPB.

Funny that they interviewed Rost in Skydome.

Another thing that made me laugh was when Frings said that when a player makes a mistake over here, he can't scream at the guy like he would have in Germany. He had to go over and calmly explain the wrong doings and hope the player gets it right the next time around.

It's like being a kindergarten teacher! lol

The parts where they interviewed the players were kinda cool, but the Supporter stuff was all fluff.