PDA

View Full Version : Plata for MLS Latino Player of the Year

prizby
11-01-2011, 04:39 PM
in a tough one against Rosales after escaping the group stages ahead of Omar Gonzalez and Roger Torres (Union)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/es/latinodelano/2011

KezmanCCCC
11-01-2011, 05:04 PM
good for plata... i hope he gets it! he was definitely one of the few bright spots for TFC this season... i hope hes here for another!

trane
11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Danny K for Dutch player of the year, Frings for German player of the year, and Kocic for Serbian and Balkan player of the year. De Ro for Canadian player of the year.

shwade
11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Danny K for Dutch player of the year, Frings for German player of the year, and Kocic for Serbian and Balkan player of the year. De Ro for Canadian player of the year.

only one for white player of the year...Danny K!

Ossington Mental Youth
11-01-2011, 05:27 PM

HAHAHA exactly
Its great hes up for it but shit, they just keep inventing awards and tournies dont they.
I do understand this as being a probable attempt to lure in more Latino supporters/viewers

james
11-01-2011, 07:49 PM
man what a stupid award.

menefreghista
11-01-2011, 09:03 PM
man what a stupid award.

I was thinking the same thing.

No use for this award other than pandering.

Roogsy
11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I do understand this as being a probable attempt to lure in more Latino supporters/viewers

Considering MLS's business plan counts on that Latino audience, can you blame them? I think it's a silly award as well, but then again, any effort to lure the Latino audience will be considered "pandering" anyways so I don't think they're all too concerned about what the non-Latino crowd thinks of this initiative.

james
11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Considering MLS's business plan counts on that Latino audience, can you blame them? I think it's a silly award as well, but then again, any effort to lure the Latino audience will be considered "pandering" anyways so I don't think they're all too concerned about what the non-Latino crowd thinks of this initiative.

to be honest you think latinos would even care about this award. I think they would be thinking the same thing as me, I mean if they had say an "best English player award" or "best white player award" id be thinking what the fuck? do we seriously need our own seperate award? Best player awards fine, but dont label them by ethnic groups.

Roogsy
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Unfortunately I will have to disagree. The Hispanic consumer market is in and of itself a completely different beast in the US than most Canadians can understand. That is what MLS is trying to reach out to because on their own as a group they can make or break MLS. Far more than any other ethnic group in the US possibly can.

This kind of marketing has proven effective which is why they use it.

boban
11-02-2011, 07:57 AM
So do they have a Croatian MLS player of the year award. Or a German? British? Dutch?
Or a black guy MLS player of the year award. Or how about a white guy MLS player of the year award?

WestStandGeoff
11-02-2011, 09:03 AM
It's not without prescedent... CFL has an 'Outstanding Canadian' player award. I'm not a huge CFL watcher, but can uderstand having the award, as there are few Canadians in the league and it at least gives some attachment to the game, especially for the teams other than Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver where the players on the field don't exactly match the demographics of the communities they play in.

With that said, yes I agree that the Latino award is pandering a bit, I'm all for it if the result is more seats getting filled, espedcially in places like Dallas... I think back a few weeks ago to the Pumas match, and there were a few Pumas supporters in my section - never been to an MLS match before in their lives... if somehting like this stirs up enough interest for them to come out for even a couple games a season, what's the harm?

Roogsy
11-02-2011, 09:45 AM
So do they have a Croatian MLS player of the year award. Or a German? British? Dutch?
Or a black guy MLS player of the year award. Or how about a white guy MLS player of the year award?

Does MLS have a contract with TeleCroatia in the US? Or the BBC? Or DeutchTV? Because they have a completely separate contract with Telelatino or Univision (I can't remember which) outside of ESPN/Fox/NBC.

Is there a Crotian Grammy awards? Or Dutch Emmys? Because the Latin market has both in the US. There are 47million Hispanic or Latin Americans in the US. Other than African American, (which also have their own awards, recognitions and even TV channels) which community has that kind of market impact?

You guys are acting like the Latin community is just another ethnic community in the US with the same proportions and influence as the others. You could not be more wrong. Neither one of those communities has the ability to make or break the MLS, but the Hispanic one does. So it only makes good business sense to solicit business from them. How they do so is up to MLS.

SilverSamurai
11-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately I will have to disagree. The Hispanic consumer market is in and of itself a completely different beast in the US than most Canadians can understand. That is what MLS is trying to reach out to because on their own as a group they can make or break MLS. Far more than any other ethnic group in the US possibly can.

This kind of marketing has proven effective which is why they use it.
Yes it is a different market, which is why the league should be advertising to them specifically. Yes Spanish broadcasts help, but you wouldn't promote a product the same way to kids as you would to seniors.

It's not without prescedent... CFL has an 'Outstanding Canadian' player award. I'm not a huge CFL watcher, but can uderstand having the award, as there are few Canadians in the league and it at least gives some attachment to the game, especially for the teams other than Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver where the players on the field don't exactly match the demographics of the communities they play in.

With that said, yes I agree that the Latino award is pandering a bit, I'm all for it if the result is more seats getting filled, espedcially in places like Dallas... I think back a few weeks ago to the Pumas match, and there were a few Pumas supporters in my section - never been to an MLS match before in their lives... if somehting like this stirs up enough interest for them to come out for even a couple games a season, what's the harm?
Canadian award isn't based on ethnicity though.

Stupid award IMO.

Does MLS have a contract with TeleCroatia in the US? Or the BBC? Or DeutchTV? Because they have a completely separate contract with Telelatino or Univision (I can't remember which) outside of ESPN/Fox/NBC.

Is there a Crotian Grammy awards? Or Dutch Emmys? Because the Latin market has both in the US. There are 47million Hispanic or Latin Americans in the US. Other than African American, (which also have their own awards, recognitions and even TV channels) has that kind of market impact?

You guys are acting like the Latin community is just another ethnic community in the US with the same proportions and influence as the others. You could not be more wrong. Neither one of those communities has the ability to make or break the US, but the Hispanic one does. So it only makes good business sense to solicit business from them. How they do so is up to MLS.
Yes the Hispanic population has a good chunk of cash potential and is a good market if you can get it so yes it's a smart business decision by the league to cater to them. And yes it goes beyond simply translating. Now if they set up as a fans choice award where people vote via the Spanish site, it would make a bit more sense, even if the nominees are mainly Hispanics.
Now if they just started voting, maybe politicians would take notice...but that's a whole other topic...

trane
11-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Is there a Crotian Grammy awards? Or Dutch Emmys? Because the Latin market has both in the US. There are 47million Hispanic or Latin Americans in the US. Other than African American, (which also have their own awards, recognitions and even TV channels) which community has that kind of market impact?

You guys are acting like the Latin community is just another ethnic community in the US with the same proportions and influence as the others. You could not be more wrong. Neither one of those communities has the ability to make or break the MLS, but the Hispanic one does. So it only makes good business sense to solicit business from them. How they do so is up to MLS.

To make it clear, I am not realy against it, I just find it to be funny, because at some point it is silly. I would be OK with the community giving that award, the Latino community, or the Italian or the Croatian community, that follow the league giving the award to one MLS player of their community that they think had a great year. I understand MLS's impetus, and I am not offended, but I do find it silly.

Roogsy
11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Don't get me wrong. It absolutely is pandering. But it's necessary pandering. If they didn't do this, analysts would be looking at MLS and asking them why they AREN'T doing it.

__wowza
11-02-2011, 11:35 AM
im pretty much agreeing with roogs on everything here.

boban
11-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Then let's have the French Canadian hockey player of the year.
This is more than silly. It's retarded.

Univision is an American channel. Yes they cater to the latin community within the states. Now, if they themselves want to hand out an award to a latin player then fine. But the league should not be even mentioned in it.
Now if the league wants to have an American player of the year award, and also an international player of the year award where the latin players would be included in this group. But singling out a community like this does no progress for the league.

Btw, I do appreciate the points you make (good ones at that). Just don't agree with them.

prizby
11-02-2011, 02:39 PM
who cares about how silly it is...we should be happy that Plata has been nominated for the award and we should be giving him our support

FIAF
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
It is pretty dumb. Awarding the best player of a race/ethnicity.

TFCRegina
11-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Jacob Peterson won Portage, Michigan ex-TFC, current San Jose Earthquakes Player of the Year Award

Roogsy
11-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Jacob Peterson won Portage, Michigan ex-TFC, current San Jose Earthquakes Player of the Year Award

:lol:

james
11-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Then let's have the French Canadian hockey player of the year.
This is more than silly. It's retarded.

Univision is an American channel. Yes they cater to the latin community within the states. Now, if they themselves want to hand out an award to a latin player then fine. But the league should not be even mentioned in it.
Now if the league wants to have an American player of the year award, and also an international player of the year award where the latin players would be included in this group. But singling out a community like this does no progress for the league.

Btw, I do appreciate the points you make (good ones at that). Just don't agree with them.

i tottally agree!!!

james
11-03-2011, 09:50 PM

i kind of wonder how much latinos in USA actually support MLS tho. Im sure there are lots just like there are lots of different ethnic fans all across MLS. But i must say i dont get the felling latinos support will solely make or break the league. I think its good if you can get a good portion of the latino population to support MLS as there is 47million in USA as you said but i dont think teams like Seattle, Portland, philly for example are filling seats just because of the latino population. Maybe its more inportant in say Houston, Dallas, Chivas but to be honest teams like Dallas and Chivas arent doing that well in attendence anyways and possibly may need to be re-located.

habstfc
11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I always thought to be considered latino, you had to be from mexico or central america. I never knew south americans were latino.

FluSH
11-03-2011, 10:27 PM
im pretty much agreeing with roogs on everything here.

same here... this award feels like a handycap award. WTF. Anyhow, Roogs hits it dead on... necessary in the U.S. to show them that MLS cares.

FluSH
11-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I always thought to be considered latino, you had to be from mexico or central america. I never knew south americans were latino.

They're all Latinos

habstfc
11-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I've never heard an argentinian or uruguyan refered to as latino.

SilverSamurai
11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Some like to think they aren't and that they're more "Euro" but they definitely are Hispanic.
A lot are simply Italians that speak Spanish though. lol

Alonso
11-03-2011, 11:08 PM

To me latino people extend to Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal... etc.

It means people who are derived from latin (roman/greek) roots.

They are all very similar in terms of culture on a superficial level.

SilverSamurai
11-03-2011, 11:31 PM
To me latino people extend to Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal... etc.

It means people who are derived from latin (roman/greek) roots.

They are all very similar in terms of culture on a superficial level.
Dude, Greek and Latin are so different. Language wise and culturally.

The difference b/w the "modern" romance languages is even further apart from Greek.

Latino comes from Latin America. Key word is "America" from the continent. Oddly enough while Spanish or Portuguese aren't Latino's, Rome called what's now Spain "Hispania" and Hispanics are those of us in the "New World".
IMO, the only "Latino's" are those that are from Latina in Italy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latina,_Lazio :)

james
11-04-2011, 02:21 AM
ya id agree, greeks, Portugese and Italians are way different from each other cultural wise to even the language to even the way many local people look.

Tho majority of South America and Central is mostly spanish, however there is about 190million people that speak portugese and there are smaller countries that speak french, english, dutch and more less spoken native languages. Brazil language and culture wise is very different from anywhere else with its music to its food and festivals and every day life. Just as Argentina is often reffered to being more Euro culture. Not all South/central american countries are the same, in fact they are alot more different from each other then Canada is from the USA.

Alonso
11-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Dude, Greek and Latin are so different. Language wise and culturally.

The difference b/w the "modern" romance languages is even further apart from Greek.

Latino comes from Latin America. Key word is "America" from the continent. Oddly enough while Spanish or Portuguese aren't Latino's, Rome called what's now Spain "Hispania" and Hispanics are those of us in the "New World".
IMO, the only "Latino's" are those that are from Latina in Italy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latina,_Lazio :)

I don't know dude, Latino comes from Latin, not latin america.

Italians, Spanish, Portuguese, are all derived from Latin. And Latin and Roman culture are heavily derived from Greek culture imo.

I mean the fact that we all kiss each other upon meeting our friends and family is ONE example of a common cultural link. Not to mention our renowned hospitality and knack for throwing a five course meal/feast at our parties. Also Italian, Portuguese and Spanish are extremely similar languages.

From Wiki:

"The term latino (feminine latina) in the Romance languages, such as Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish, literally translates as "Latin". The cognate French term is Latin, not Latino. Portuguese dictionaries define the demonym latino to refer to natives of Romance-speaking nations influenced by Roman civilization, and to the natives or inhabitants of ancient Latium (modern Lazio).[33][34] Italian dictionaries define the demonym latino as: the ancient Latins and Romans, and their language, Latin, as well as the neo-Latin nations.[35][36] The dictionary of the Real Academia Española defines ten meanings for latino, including the ancient peoples of Latium and the modern Romance-speaking European and American nations.[37] In these languages, latino, just like any other demonym, is by convention not capitalized."

To me a Latino is anyone who is culturally derived from Latin. That`s the way I`ve always understood and used the word anyway.

RealG-TFC
11-05-2011, 12:03 AM
^^ If that were the case, French canadians would fall under "latino" too.

Roogsy
11-05-2011, 12:50 AM
"Latino" as is used in the Americas is an abbreviation of "Latinoamericano" meaning a Latin of the Americas. While those of the "romance" languages like French and Italian can be correctly called identified as "Latin", the term used in the Americas for "Latino" is exclusively used for Hispanics of North & South America. And yes that includes Uruguay & Argentina. It does not usually include Spaniards though.

SilverSamurai
11-05-2011, 09:56 AM
"Latino" as is used in the Americas is an abbreviation of "Latinoamericano" meaning a Latin of the Americas. While those of the "romance" languages like French and Italian can be correctly called identified as "Latin", the term used in the Americas for "Latino" is exclusively used for Hispanics of North & South America. And yes that includes Uruguay & Argentina. It does not usually include Spaniards though.
This is it, but don't forget the Brazilians.
A Brazilian can be Latino, but not Hispanic.
This is all so confusing...

I'm glad I just go with "Canadian who just happens to be of Hispanic descent" :D:canada::canada::canada:

zeelaw
11-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Hahaha you couldn't of summed up my feelings any better.

prizby
11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
i was not expecting it, BUT

Plata beat Rosales!!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/latinodelano/2011

off to the quarters versus Sebastián Miranda of the KKKrew

this alone should be reason to vote!