PDA

View Full Version : PLATA: is success going to go to his head?

__wowza
10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
we've all seen major league II and the effect success can have on a player (see: willie mays hayes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_league_2)). this season, plata's been a standout player for us, but if we want to keep him we'd have to renegotiate his contract from the loan we've him under.

with his first accolades coming in (shortlist for RPB man of the season, VC MVP) and his age, do you think his success will go to his head? what impact do you think it would have on his wage negotiation if he stays? how do you think the teams salary cap will affect that?

flatpicker
10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
Anything is possible.
It's not unheard of to see a young player start quickly and then lose momentum.

All we can really do is hope for the best.
And trust that Plata has a strong mindset that will keep him grounded.

Also, I like your sig wowza.

Long May You Run!

Fort York Redcoat
10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I think it may be but I expect at least the same contribution next year if we're able to retain him. He went through a bit of a slump mid season and changed his game so I don't expect a sophmore slump from him.

Stouffville_RPB
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I think that if Nicholas Lindsay comes back to the player he showed us glimpses of that he will push Plata out of the squad.

[NBF]
10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Why so negative WOWZA? You have nothing to base that on. This thread is right out of your ass.

If you think success has gotten to anyone on the team, Plata would not be the first name on that list, IMO he's keeping cool hoping to be able to return to the team, and not using his time in Toronto and MLS as a stepping stone to Europe or even better teams in South America.

If anyone can be accused of letting fame go to their heads it would be Eckersley, Frei, Koevermans, and Johnson. In that order.

Whoop
10-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Doesn't Lindsay need more surgery? I don't think you'll see him for a while.

jabbronies
10-27-2011, 09:57 AM
There are very few coaches out there who can keeps the egos of star players in check. I hope Winter/De Clerk have the ability to do that and keep him focused. It'll be important off the field as much as it is on the field.

BFin
10-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Question related to the topic:

Can you really let MLS success go to your head? Isn't that like letting the 'gas station attendant of the year' award go to your head?

jabbronies
10-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Question related to the topic:

Can you really let MLS success go to your head? Isn't that like letting the 'gas station attendant of the year' award go to your head?

I;m going to say yes with Rohan Ricketts being my example :D

BFin
10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Touche.

I remember him the A4A tourney. Was absolutely terrible.

Ageroo
10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Touche.

I remember him the A4A tourney. Was absolutely terrible.

He played like the CAKE BOSS....Ali Gerba?

Fort York Redcoat
10-27-2011, 10:20 AM
;1397361']Why so negative WOWZA? You have nothing to base that on. This thread is right out of your ass.

If you think success has gotten to anyone on the team, Plata would not be the first name on that list, IMO he's keeping cool hoping to be able to return to the team, and not using his time in Toronto and MLS as a stepping stone to Europe or even better teams in South America.

If anyone can be accused of letting fame go to their heads it would be Eckersley, Frei, Koevermans, and Johnson. In that order.

There have been statements made on the subject hence the thread.

What is your reasoning on the players you chose ahead of Plata?

La Liga, Plata's old team seems to be a pretty big deal in it's own right. 3rd all time in Ecuador and a stadium twice the size of ours. I don't see this thread as a hate-on. I'm pretty sure we can all agree we hope he can do well for us and not get too big for his breeches.

Stouffville_RPB
10-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Doesn't Lindsay need more surgery? I don't think you'll see him for a while.

Apparently he's had all his surgeries and it is now just getting back to match fitness.

Whoop
10-27-2011, 10:45 AM
I posted in the Lindsay thread what one of the beat reporters reported on Tuesday following the year-end interviews.

Stouffville_RPB
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
I posted in the Lindsay thread what one of the beat reporters reported on Tuesday following the year-end interviews.

"With respect to training, I am back to full fitness. I have been working out a lot and I'm working to get stronger. I have had a lot of time to rehabilitate and I can't wait for next season to happen. I'm going to be back at full strength. It's been a good journey. I feel so much stronger and so much better and I'm almost there with respect to getting back to 100%. And I think that because I have pushed myself so hard, I will be back to 100% and even beyond that. Not just with my legs, but with my entire body, I've really been trying to get stronger and faster and I have been working on a lot of things in terms of my whole body to make sure that I am 100% and more for next season," says Lindsay.

That's from this RNO article from yesterday
http://rednationonline.ca/LindsayDeterminedToMakeAnImpactIn2012.aspx

Whoop
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
But when was the interview done?

Maybe they found something recently.

Wolstat is on the TFC beat so he would be there more often than not.

__wowza
10-27-2011, 11:15 AM
;1397361']Why so negative WOWZA? You have nothing to base that on. This thread is right out of your ass.

first off, i'd like you to re-read my post, because i can only assume that you think i took a stance on this. i'm just wondering why i'm so negative here.

was it the title "is success going to go to his head"?
was it my acknowledgment of his accomplishments?
was it the fact that i posed several questions without ever answering them myself?
was it my wesley snipes reference?

seriously, i don't get it. i posed a question and i get called negative for asking (not even implying; asking). so now that i've been crucified for posing the question, i might as well answer with what i think.

if he has a good agent, he'll be high-middle in terms of what we're paying him. they'll argue his accomplishments with the club and the fact that he's in with the fans, management will point to the number of other players we have waiting in the wings ready to pounce on his starting spot. MLSE and our FO have never had a problem with telling people to go fuck themselves (see: dero).

success can do a lot of things to people, especially if they think the grass can be greener elsewhere (would he want to stay in a league where there's a salary cap and we couldn't possibly sign him at a higher than league wage due to our 3 DPs?). being a younger professional makes you more susceptible to feelings of entitlement, and listening to the advice of others, but it isn't the norm. a lot of people would look at their performance and feel that they've earned the right to better treatment from their team, but with the experience winter/co have with youth, i'm sure that they'll be able to keep this in check.

don't get me wrong, i love plata and think he was a standout this season, but in the ancient adage of dero threads: no one is bigger than the crest.

Also, I like your sig wowza.

Long May You Run!

i will forever push adopting this as our official supporter anthem ;)

Oldtimer
10-27-2011, 11:31 AM
I think Fuad Ibrahim's success went to his head. Why his head is spinning while I type! :D

trane
10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Lets waite and see what the kids does, before we talk about success going to his head.

Many great young players can have succes and it does not go to thier head; Super Mario for example.

Whoop
10-27-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.stabilitees.com/store/image/cache/data/Designs/manchester-united-1-manchester-city-6-why-always-me-mario-balotelli-500x500.jpg

Ultra & Proud
10-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Bah.

prizby
10-27-2011, 12:39 PM
got vets like frings, koef, and JDG to keep him in line...if all else fails, we all know Winter is quick in benching/not dressing players who think too highly of themselves/don't perform/etc..

lobo
10-27-2011, 12:47 PM
i will forever push adopting this as our official supporter anthem ;) __________________

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/image.php?u=15578&type=sigpic&dateline=1319550777

i second that! love it.

Jeffro
10-27-2011, 12:50 PM
;1397361']If anyone can be accused of letting fame go to their heads it would be Eckersley, Frei, Koevermans, and Johnson. In that order.

Why so negative NBF? You have nothing to base that on. That list is right out of your ass.

Oldtimer
10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
_wowza,

Actually, when you have a club do as poorly as ours has, the supporters tend to worry about every little thing. I wouldn't characterize it as negativity, per se. It's like you think your club has a curse, and expect that no matter how close things look to turning around, you just "know" it's going to end dreadfully.

You often see this with clubs that are perpetually in the bottom half of the Championship. In North America, Boston Red Sox fans said that their 86 year drought was due to the "curse of the Bambino." The thing is, they came close to doing well several times, just to have something go wrong and everything ending horribly. Of course in 2004 they won the World Series, and all talk of a "curse" went away.

Winning cures everything. We'll get over it once the team starts being a contender.

ag futbol
10-27-2011, 01:32 PM
we've all seen major league II and the effect success can have on a player (see: willie mays hayes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_league_2)). this season, plata's been a standout player for us, but if we want to keep him we'd have to renegotiate his contract from the loan we've him under.

with his first accolades coming in (shortlist for RPB man of the season, VC MVP) and his age, do you think his success will go to his head? what impact do you think it would have on his wage negotiation if he stays? how do you think the teams salary cap will affect that?
Until he starts underperforming on the pitch, gets an inflated contract, and I see a Hummer or lamborghini in yorkville with plates that say "DePlata", I will hold the mustard on this one.

prizby
10-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Why so negative NBF? You have nothing to base that on. That list is right out of your ass.

he doesn't want to admit it was really Martina since it was all downhill after the home opener

spark
10-27-2011, 02:06 PM
But when was the interview done?

Maybe they found something recently.

Wolstat is on the TFC beat so he would be there more often than not.

Interview was yesterday afternoon.

Whoop
10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Interview was yesterday afternoon.

I understand the article went up yesterday afternoon, was it done yesterday afternoon?

[NBF]
10-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [NBF]

The list is one that I'm keeping in mind since I've been watching these players on the field and off in their interviews they've done.

Eckersley- "Burnley don't care", last I saw and from knowledge, in any kind of work you do, you dont want to burn bridges and that to me from Eckersley says that he has expectations for himself. Someone who came up through the Manchester United academy to end up in MLS. I'm thinking he wants to be respected and wants his football skills to be used and be properly compensated. He is of course the best defender on the current team, but will MLS success go to his head????

Frei- I've watched him have on field meltdowns through the first half of the season and you can't say you dont feel for the guy but IMO he has been very patient with TFC and I'm sure that he does want to be compensated financially in the future. But will success in MLS go to his head??? He does have an european passport doesnt he, which is all you need to play in England, France, Italy, with their one foreign player rule in those countries.

Koevermans- From the interview he did with the guy from GolTV, he said that he is not getting any younger and he wants to extend his football career as well as develop his coaching experience by working with Winter, DeKlerk, and mentoring the young players in TFC. But will success in MLS go to his head??? He definitely will lead the team in scoring next season and will probably outplay the Irish fellow in Los Angeles. But will this kind of success go to his head???

Johnson- The only reason I posted his name is because of the attitude he showed against a player in one of the games this season where he flat out told him, 'he didn't need to be told what to do' during a throw-in by the opposing team. He is bound to be one of our starters for next season and most likely will score his fair share of goals as well as be a big time threat in set pieces. But will success go to his head?????? My big question is does this guy have an attitude problem?

In order, I answered your question as to why I think these guys have more of a reason to have fame go to their heads than Joao Plata.

Personally, I would never have started a thread or even cared to post on rumour, but thats what these forums are for and its fun and entertaining at times.

Joao Plata, wants to return to TFC and he is waiting for Quito and TFC to match up their numbers for him to be able to return for next season. Thats all that anyone knows. I can see why alot of you would think he's a hot commodity, but I will say that alot of you dont have a clue about the mistranslation going in the interviews he's done because you dont speak Spanish and I can tell you that this dude doing the translation is about 55% right in his translation. He is horrendous and I hope for Plata's sake he gets a better translator during his contract negotiations.

spark
10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I understand the article went up yesterday afternoon, was it done yesterday afternoon?

No that's not correct, the article went up around midnight. Interview was in the afternoon.

Whoop
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
^^
Interesting.

Thanks.

spark
10-27-2011, 03:01 PM
No problem!

backbeat
10-27-2011, 03:01 PM
;1397521'] [commend deleted by moderators]

:picard: not fair play.

Yohan
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
:picard: not fair play.
banninate him!

VoxPopuliCosmicum
10-27-2011, 03:33 PM
^I have a feeling people won't need to have NBF on "ignore" for much longer.

denime
10-27-2011, 03:41 PM
^I have a feeling people won't need to have NBF on "ignore" for much longer.

Yeah,he is on vacation for 7 days,for now.

BFin
10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
7 days too short, but thank you for that. Absolutely uncalled for.

To go back to my original post, if Plata let's being one of the 'solid' players on a non-playoff team go to his head than he is out of his mind. This team has a long ways to go and I am sure Winter has communicated to them how imperative it is that they do not let up in training and their own personal workouts at this point.

ag futbol
10-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Hey, if you're going to go out, go out in style i guess.

Stouffville_RPB
10-28-2011, 08:17 AM
So back on the Plata topic.

I spoke to him at the pub crawl last night. When asked about coming back next season he seemed to get quiet. There was definitely a change in his tone when asked about next year here.

To be fair to him though there could be many reasons for him to not say much about it. He did say that he loves Toronto, great kid that had fun playing this season. It just seemed that he wasn't his happy go lucky self when he spoke about it.

__wowza
10-28-2011, 12:09 PM
So back on the Plata topic.

I spoke to him at the pub crawl last night. When asked about coming back next season he seemed to get quiet. There was definitely a change in his tone when asked about next year here.

To be fair to him though there could be many reasons for him to not say much about it. He did say that he loves Toronto, great kid that had fun playing this season. It just seemed that he wasn't his happy go lucky self when he spoke about it.

awwwh hamburgers!!

DichioTFC
10-29-2011, 03:32 AM
I think the success will go to his head to a very small extent. He wont be Super Mario level, but I think he will shoot more and pass less - as young, super-confident players tend to do in any team sport. If there's a few downsides to his game that most of us can agree on, it was 1. his SOG ratio was pretty poor compared to Koev or others and 2. he shot selection wasn't always the greatest.

That being said, Plata is still going to be a stud for whatever team he plays for.

james
10-31-2011, 12:08 AM
http://www.stabilitees.com/store/image/cache/data/Designs/manchester-united-1-manchester-city-6-why-always-me-mario-balotelli-500x500.jpg

speaking of big headed, can some one please break Mario Balotelli's legs, someone needs to knock that fuck down a few pegs!