PDA

View Full Version : Wayne the Usher in 111/110 @ BMO

nancymiranda
10-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Folks:

I'm putting this out there and asking for help!

Saturdays game, Wayne our usher who stands between 111 and 110 was told he's going to be phased out.

Reason being... he must either pick to work at ACC or BMO but he can't work at both. He refuses to pick.

For me - I find this unacceptable! Wayne is close to retirement. He may be between 63 or 64... he may even be over 65 for all I know. Since the beginning of BMO he's been working at both BMO and ACC picking up as many hours as he can so he can make enough $$$ to pay bills, rent etc.

For those of you who don't know... Wayne is an amazing usher. He pratically knows all the regulars by name, always welcomes us to the game with either a hand shake or hug and does the same at the end of the game. He's also hung out with a few of us.

I dont want to see him loose his job... so I'd ask if you guys can either email or call your TFC Reps and complain about loosing Wayne!

I'm also open to any other suggestions or ideas!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Wagner
10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
it's funny,
my buddy was a Bartender at the ACC only, and this year they told him he has to work both ACC and BMO.

It's BS that a good senior worker like Wayne is getting jerked around.

emailing your rep can't hurt.

Juanito
10-24-2011, 09:31 AM
MLSE .... keeping employees disgruntled since 1998.

nancymiranda
10-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I've already sent an email to MLSE. Now going to send one to my rep.

Anyone who knows Wayne knows how hard this guy works. He's always early - always smiling even when its pissing rain! He's never complained when its cold; when it rains; when its hotter than hell there... He's always in a good mood. When he does his rounds up and down the stairs, he always stops to talk to everyone.

I'm disappointed in the way they treat Wayne!

Pinkie
10-24-2011, 11:43 AM
wayne is awesome and the best usher. when wayne isn't there i always ask where he is. to which the temp usher always says.."everyone wants to know this...i guess you all love him".

MG42
10-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Wayne is awesome, only rivalled by ponytail the security guard from 07

simon
10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Wayne has been between 110/111 since day one. I for one want to see him at the top of the stairs next season! I just wouldn't be the same without him. Always friendly, rain or shine! Always smiling.

prizby
10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
interesting...cuz the regulars in the 112 (Emio and Fabio i think) work both the ACC and BMO Field, never mentioned that they had to choose

nancymiranda
10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Personally I think it's an age thing! It's not the job cause he goes up and down those stairs several time during the game. I get winded just going up the stairs and I work out 4 times a week! Plus there has never been any fights or tussles cause Wayne will say something to the people. Everyone respects Wayne!

I think he's nearing 65 an MLSE dent want to be on the hook for retirement! Anyone know someone I can phone or email at MLSE?

I just posted in Facebook; twitter and emailed general MLSE. Even though I complained in my email to MLSE those dumb asses wrote back how they would pass on my compliments and mak sure Wayne received my praise! Just goes to show u the dumb asses didn't read my email and that's exactly what I wrote back (minus the dumb ass remarks)!

Any help appreciated.

nancymiranda
10-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Oh yea... Isn't there another Town Hall coming up????

AL-MO
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
You should move this to a section that all users (not just members) can see.

WestStandGeoff
10-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm envious you have such a great usher. One of my main complaints since day 1 has been the revolving door of people in my section. What's going on sounds really shitty.

nancymiranda
10-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Just sent an email to my account manager and told him I'm expecting a reply! lol.. Lets see what happens.

DichioTFC
10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
You should move this to a section that all users (not just members) can see.

Agreed.

nancymiranda
10-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Mods... or someone who has admin access... can you please move this to the General area... sorry.. don't know how to do it!

Thanks guys!

jabbronies
10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
** bump ** for the move.

yellowfellow
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Wayne is awesome. Always smiling, very friendly.

nancymiranda
10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
It anyone would like to write and support Wayne, here's the info link for

Toronto FC:
http://www.mlse.com/contactus_teams.aspx

MLSE:
http://www.mlse.com/contactus_venues.aspx

Much appreciated!

Mark in Ottawa
10-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Weird. Who is making him choose? It must be ML$E right?
I have met Wayne a few times and he has always been top knotch.

Getting jerked around seems to be a common occurrence for all who deal with ML$E in any way shape or form. :(

MadRukus
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
He's even got his own chant!!

"Wayne's a f'n legend, Wayne's a f'n legend! LA-LA, LA, LA! "

I'm definitely going to be writing about this, that dude always has a smile on his face and does his best to make conversation with anyone that walks by.

He even broke down after the last game when a girl gave him a hug...

Smarten up MLSE.

TFCin110
10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm by no means saying Wayne isn't to be believed, but just remember there are 3 sides to every story.....Wayne's side, MLSE, and the truth. I am sure that MLSE is not doing anything that would open them up to a harrassment suit or violation of the labour code. But, moral code? Who knows.

nancymiranda
10-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks everyone for pitching in.
To TFCin110 - your right there is a side toevery story but when ever
Wayne has given us any info it's been right on the money!
So in this case I'm going with Wayne.
MLSE has trie to screw over SSH.... So why not a senior who can't afford
Legal representation is it's age related? Just saying!

MG42
10-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone for pitching in.
To TFCin110 - your right there is a side toevery story but when ever
Wayne has given us any info it's been right on the money!
So in this case I'm going with Wayne.
MLSE has trie to screw over SSH.... So why not a senior who can't afford
Legal representation is it's age related? Just saying!

Any RPB lawers to ride to Waynes rescue?

http://www.aronfeld.com/photos/lawyers_to_the_rescue.gif

nancymiranda
10-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Any RPB lawers to ride to Waynes rescue?

http://www.aronfeld.com/photos/lawyers_to_the_rescue.gif

His direct manager said it's because he had to choose one or the other and he can't because it doesn't bring in enough $$$. They would never say it's his age... But I'm speculating...
Going to follow up more and see if he gets any more info. He was just told on saturday before his shift (I believe)

Don Julio
10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Wow, I'll do anything to support Wayne, he's been great from day 1.. well at least midway through the first season since I started my 111 dynasty. More facts are needed, though, before we start in with reactionary fury.. Something doesn't add up.

No business wants to phase out of high-performing, well-liked employees for no reason. I wonder if he's reaching retirement age and they have to limit his hours for some sort of unknown legal reasons?

I know a lot of people that would put a good word in for him if necessary though.

Don Julio
10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure that a) MLSE has it's legal bases covered regarding employment law, and b) no possible award could match the legal fees required to fight MLSE

cmonyoureds
10-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Wayne IS 111, Wayne IS 111 na na na na
Top notch dude and we were taking pictures with him on Saturday. If any of this is true it's disgusting.
I'd sign that petition and I'll send an e-mail as well!

Without a doubt the saving grace of BMO employees after all the BS by security and other "high on themselves" ushers.
Only usher I know that greets us by name and/or "hey top row, good to see you guys again"

Inklink
10-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Wayne IS 111, Wayne IS 111 na na na na

Definitely looks like an age thing.

ag futbol
10-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure that a) MLSE has it's legal bases covered regarding employment law, and b) no possible award could match the legal fees required to fight MLSE
Not saying anything is / isn't wrong here but you'd be surprised how sometimes otherwise intelligent companies make bone-headed (and libelous) moves when it comes to hiring and firing.

nancymiranda
10-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Not saying anything is / isn't wrong here but you'd be surprised how sometimes otherwise intelligent companies make bone-headed (and libelous) moves when it comes to hiring and firing.

need not say much on that. The department next to me surplused 3 staff members as a cost savings method only to replace them with 3 new folks at 3 times the salary who are consultants... Duuuu.... everyone is still scratching their heads over that one.

huphup
10-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Emailed my rep - I haven't met Wayne but there are a handful of ushers at BMO that deserve recognition, not punishment, for the addition to the experience. I personally have always loved dealing with Enyo in 112 (sp?)

nascarguy
10-26-2011, 06:32 AM
Someone sould send this story off the the the toronto star or the sun!.
I bet the would love to do a story about MLSE

nancymiranda
10-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Emailed my rep - I haven't met Wayne but there are a handful of ushers at BMO that deserve recognition, not punishment, for the addition to the experience. I personally have always loved dealing with Enyo in 112 (sp?)

Thanks!!! Really appreciate it. Trying to get a hold o Wayne to see if there is any more info.

Phil
10-26-2011, 07:24 AM
I will contact some people I know at the front office operations to see what can be sorted out.

prizby
10-26-2011, 08:52 AM

believe its fabio and emio (mabye its emilo)

nancymiranda
10-26-2011, 03:58 PM
So I talked to Wayne and got the whole story.

Wayne works at BMO and Rogers Centre.

Mid summer he was approached by his team lead who said he must work ACC and BMO.

Here's the kicker. The usher jobs are unionized at ACC and Wayne would have to put his name on the list and they would go down the list giving jobs, which means, he may not even work at ACC, so he politely declined because the 2 jobs at Rogers (usher and tour guide) keep him busy along with working at BMO.

Well he started to notice that other workers were getting the new uniforms and he didn't. Also, he's worked the TFC games but has noticed that they stopped scheduling him for the other games such as the Canada games, etc.

He's talked to the union and waiting to hear back. Nada yet. He was told that MLSE works slow so he may not find out if he's fired until June next year.....

He's gonna keep us posted!

gunnerken
10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks for your concern Nancy ! We are lucky to have Wayne as our "Mayor of 111" (and 110). I made mention of his plight to my ticket rep today. Hopefully his story will become legendary. A nicer man you could not meet, and I think your interest in his plight says a lot about what he brings to our game day experience. It's too bad that, as usual in these cases, politics and union policy works against what is right and proper.
"Wayne for Mayor" !

simon
10-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I second the motion! "Wayne for Mayor"!!

nancymiranda
10-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your concern Nancy ! We are lucky to have Wayne as our "Mayor of 111" (and 110). I made mention of his plight to my ticket rep today. Hopefully his story will become legendary. A nicer man you could not meet, and I think your interest in his plight says a lot about what he brings to our game day experience. It's too bad that, as usual in these cases, politics and union policy works against what is right and proper.
"Wayne for Mayor" !

Thanks! It speaks volumes that u guys are helping me out. I mentioned that o
Wayne and (he kinda sounded like he was starting to get emotional) and said he had the best fans ever!!!

Thanks to everyone for your help

nancymiranda
10-26-2011, 06:04 PM
I will contact some people I know at the front office operations to see what can be sorted out.

U Rock! Thank you!

AL-MO
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
believe its fabio and emio (mabye its emilo)

Its Fab and Elio.

jazzy
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Wayne is gentle man, who hopefully will stay with us. He definitely softens the harsh dealings of MLSE. He gets upset when you miss saying hi to him, lol...and wanted a photo of me and my wife with him....just a rare decent human being.......sent a notorious long letter/e-mail to MLSE and rep....if we're lucky.....waiting/hoping

prizby
10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Its Fab and Elio.

my bad; get it confused esp. when they wear other name tags haha

nancymiranda
10-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Wayne is gentle man, who hopefully will stay with us. He definitely softens the harsh dealings of MLSE. He gets upset when you miss saying hi to him, lol...and wanted a photo of me and my wife with him....just a rare decent human being.......sent a notorious long letter/e-mail to MLSE and rep....if we're lucky.....waiting/hoping

Thanks Jazzy and Julie! U guy rock! It means a lot to wayne!

Just a side note - he has a mom whose 90! She's pretty mobile but he keeps an eye on her as she's had a fall or 2 so working at ACC is just way too much for him. What a guy!

Derko
10-28-2011, 10:55 AM
We are also sad about hearing Wayne is being phased(tossed) out, I always look forward to seeing Wayne at the matches, he has become one of the people you want to see at BMO, it just not the same when Wayne is not there. There has never been any sort of trouble, because Wayne is excellent at what he does.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
10-28-2011, 01:19 PM
I second the motion! "Wayne for Mayor"!!

Somehow I can't picture Wayne screaming "Don't you bitches know who I am? I'm Wayne the Fucking Usher!"

Huyton
10-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Has anyone heard back from MLSE?

Phil
10-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Has anyone heard back from MLSE?

I know one of the guys is looking into it. It sounds rather complicated though.

Commie Red
10-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Another Wayne fan here. Just wanted to voice my support for a very nice man. Always shakes my hand and gives me a warm welcome when I arrive. The respect he has earned can control a crowd better than half a dozen yellow jackets. I sent an email to MLSE and I encourage other to do so as well.

Tezza
10-31-2011, 12:15 PM
I have a chat every game with Wayne as we sit on the aisle in row 6 of 110. He truly is a gentleman and is part of our game day experience. Everytime there is a new usher I ask where Wayne is and then they tell me that everybody asks the same question.

I'm glad the OP started this thread. I have written to my ticket rep also. Wayne was almost in tears on the last game of the season. Our section takes pics at the end of the season with all of us that hang at games and Wayne is always in them.

I hope they can figure something out for him as he really enjoys being at BMO and I can't imagine him not being there.

Sad.

nancymiranda
10-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey folks. Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I haven't heard back from Wayne yet. But if I hear anything more I'll let u know. Of course my rep hasnt gotten back to me.
If I hear anything I'll post! Thanks again! We got some great RPBers here!

Blazer
10-31-2011, 08:42 PM
*Click* Sent! Short, poignant, and hopefully of great consequence! Good luck to Wayner!

nancymiranda
11-01-2011, 12:45 PM
so here's the latest - this email was sent to wayne:

"Hi Nancy I got a registered letter from Kevin Kenpke who is my big boss .It said either register for training by nov 11th to work at ACC or I will be terminated"

ps the training is for new hires that teaches them how to be ushers... Guess they are forcing him to take the ACC work or get booted from BMO. Sad...nice way MLSE treats their employees.
Maybe Wayne should attend the training for new hires and facilitate it! I'm sure the newbies could learn something new.

TFCmatty
11-01-2011, 02:25 PM
^^^
This whole situation really pisses me off.

Here we have a devoted employee who is a key piece of making the game day atmosphere at BMO what it is, and MLSE is trying to force him out.

Email(s) sent.

Mark in Ottawa
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
His direct manager said it's because he had to choose one or the other and he can't because it doesn't bring in enough $$$.
Interesting. It might be a similar situation to that of one of my sons friends.

He works for two distinct arms of a large organization which makes heavy use of part time employees. They are always being very careful not to assign him too many hours at either job for fear that the sum of the two might add up to full time hours for a long enough time period that they would have to classify him as a full timer and pay him benefits!

Things always seem to get a little muddled when union membership and full time vs part time arguments get involved.

I'm still hoping Wayne comes out of it all right.

nancymiranda
11-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi Everyone:

Instead of starting a new post I thought I'd just add to this one.
Just received an email from Wayne. His last game at BMO will be tomorrow (Tuesday Nov 15th).

His daughter is quite ill and it doesnt' look as if she will on this earth for very long. This is such sad news.

So for those of you who know Wayne... I'm sure he's appreciate a kind word; smile or hug from you guys! If you want to keep in touch with him, ask him for his email! He''ll gladly give it to you!

Thanks for everyone who put in a kind word for him. Speaks volume of the classy people we have! Glad to call you guys my brothers and sisters....

Blazer
11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
One of my favourite things about game day is marching up that stairwell to be met by my pal Wayne. I hope to be half as humble, half as positive, half as genuine as that guy when I’m older. He’s the grandfather we all want in life.

I’ve sent off my firm but short email to MLSE and begged them to do the humanly thing here, sadly I suspect they don’t care.

I pray for his daughter.

Pinkie
11-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi Everyone:

Instead of starting a new post I thought I'd just add to this one.
Just received an email from Wayne. His last game at BMO will be tomorrow (Tuesday Nov 15th).

His daughter is quite ill and it doesnt' look as if she will on this earth for very long. This is such sad news.

So for those of you who know Wayne... I'm sure he's appreciate a kind word; smile or hug from you guys! If you want to keep in touch with him, ask him for his email! He''ll gladly give it to you!

omg that is so sad :(:( i saw him last night because i decided to go to my seats for the second half...but i didn't realise it was his last game or that his daughter was ill.

he shall be missed :(