PDA

View Full Version : Season's end Post-Game thread: TFC - New England 2-2

LesH
10-22-2011, 03:14 PM
I did not see the game, because there were no streams.

Goals by Soolsma and Koevermans.

Someone in the game thread posted "OK result for TFC", but I disagree.
IMO it's never OK for a team playing at home to not be able to beat a team who is placed lower in the standings, no matter how meaningless is the game for both clubs.

Discuss.

==============

See you TFC, til the official game in the CONCACAF Champs League's Quarter Finals.

:canada: :scarf:

Brooker
10-22-2011, 03:18 PM
IMO it's never OK for a team playing at home to not be able to beat a team who is placed lower in the standings.

Discuss.

Come on... We have 1 more win than them. 1! We're not talking LA vs Vancouver here. Look at the stats... We're almost the same team.

MG42
10-22-2011, 03:19 PM
as at the end of every year, the defence needs to be looked at...the good news is we can apparently score now

rocker
10-22-2011, 03:28 PM
it wasn't a great game... lots of sloppiness, particularly from Plata and Soolsma (even though Soolsma got the first goal, he wasn't too good at keeping possession or passing).

I think this game was pretty much what he have expected.... decent offense, clinical finishing, but still defensive problems. At halftime Mariner admitted they need defenders in the offseason, and he wasn't putting much stock in Cann and Williams, simply because he wonders how they will be after major injuries.

v00d00daddy
10-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I did not see the game, because there were no streams.

Goals by Soolsma and Koevermans.

IMO it's never OK for a team playing at home to not be able to beat a team who is placed lower in the standings, no matter how meaningless is the game for both clubs.

Discuss.

==============

See you TFC, til the official game in the CONCACAF Champs League's Quarter Finals.

:canada: :scarf:

It's also never okay to comment on a game that you didn't watch. LOL

TFC played flat and disinterested and still had flashed where they played well enough to win. Meaningless game at the end of the season and it was still fun to watch.

I go into the off season happy and looking forward to next year. That can't be said for the last couple of seasons.

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 03:35 PM
N.E. 2:2 TFC

I don't think Winter cared whether the team lost this game if they could at least show that they cared about the game. The team today showed some good composure and managed to at least come away with a draw. I think that is the only positive.

If Winter wanted to win he would have taken out Stinson and subbed in Henry, but I'm glad to see that he showed some confidence in Stinson and allowed him to play the entire game. Morgan played really well, I'm very surprised by his consistency in the last quarter of the season. Thats a huge a vote of confidence to the training staff.

Kocic, IMO is a good back up to Frei. There's a sort of a question from time to time about his toughness or positioning on some shots. Also, his hands are not the best for a goalkeeper. He tends to want to punch the ball away too much. He's a bit similar to Greg Sutton, but he needs more playing time to really determine how far he can take it. Still needs work though.

LesH
10-22-2011, 03:37 PM

I did not comment on the game, but on the result.
It's a difference, lol. :hump:

Macksam
10-22-2011, 03:49 PM
;1395156']N.E. 2:2 TFC

I don't think Winter cared whether the team lost this game if they could at least show that they cared about the game. The team today showed some good composure and managed to at least come away with a draw. I think that is the only positive.

If Winter wanted to win he would have taken out Stinson and subbed in Henry, but I'm glad to see that he showed some confidence in Stinson and allowed him to play the entire game. Morgan played really well, I'm very surprised by his consistency in the last quarter of the season. Thats a huge a vote of confidence to the training staff.

Kocic, IMO is a good back up to Frei. There's a sort of a question from time to time about his toughness or positioning on some shots. Also, his hands are not the best for a goalkeeper. He tends to want to punch the ball away too much. He's a bit similar to Greg Sutton, but he needs more playing time to really determine how far he can take it. Still needs work though.
I didn't see the game.

What would Henry have done that Stinson did not do to win the game?

LesH
10-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Big time congrats for Koevermans for he's proved to be a scoring machine for TFC.
Keep it up in the next season, though will be very very hard to replicate this efficiency over the whole season.

But I'll be happy even with just 16 Koev signed goals in 2012 MLS (plus 4-5 in the CONCACAF, of course we'll qualify in 2012 too). :D

Very few thought he'll be so productive in MLS, but almost everyone on this forum thought he'll worth fully the DP money, the first time we have learned about his signing.

trane
10-22-2011, 04:18 PM

TFC played flat and disinterested and still had flashed where they played well enough to win. Meaningless game at the end of the season and it was still fun to watch.

I go into the off season happy and looking forward to next year. That can't be said for the last couple of seasons.

Agreed. The game meant nothing, they are comming off a very important game, and have a very important tournament and seasons to look forward. I would not read to much into this result.

ensco
10-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I was disappointed Dichio didn't sub in late.

Empirical
10-22-2011, 04:55 PM
the guy starting the post game thread didn't even watch the game. it was at home. all time low?

ManUtd4ever
10-22-2011, 05:57 PM

This.

It would have been nice to finish the season with a a win, but I believe the expression "wait until next year" actually means something this time.

Oldtimer
10-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I was disappointed Dichio didn't sub in late.

Another Danny scored to tie the game near the end!

Both teams played like they were sleepwalking for the first 30 minutes. Eventually they woke up, but it was clear that there wasn't a lot of urgency to a meaningless game. Still had entertainment value though.

The only thing I was upset about attending this game was that some people scooped up a lot of the free hats (one guy I saw had 6-8), leaving none for my son by the time we arrived. No class. :(

Redpunkfiddle
10-22-2011, 06:25 PM
the guy starting the post game thread didn't even watch the game. it was at home. all time low?

There is no need to be so dramatic.

Furtado91
10-22-2011, 06:28 PM
the was awesome to expierence today. everyone was chanting and i had a blast. the afterparty was awesome as well. The players were so accommodating and friendly. glad to see that. got a few photos with Frei, Kocic, plata and a few others.

habstfc
10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Another Danny scored to tie the game near the end!

Both teams played like they were sleepwalking for the first 30 minutes. Eventually they woke up, but it was clear that there wasn't a lot of urgency to a meaningless game. Still had entertainment value though.

The only thing I was upset about attending this game was that some people scooped up a lot of the free hats (one guy I saw had 6-8), leaving none for my son by the time we arrived. No class. :(

I too was miffed that there were no hats left when I got there. When my brother and I arrived there is NO WAY 10,000 people were already there yet that is how many hats were to be handed out.

As for the game oh well another home tie against an inferior team. I think tfc were a little soft after their dallas victory.

Canary10
10-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Not a great game. I would have liked a win. But somehow needlessly dropping points at home seems a somewhat fitting end. Especially giving up a goal on a corner yet again. Good news is they look really dangerous when they want to. Looks like they cam score whenever they really set their mind to it. Quality of the football is a step up from what we've seen at BMO. Can't wait for next year!

PopePouri
10-22-2011, 07:48 PM

Discuss.

I doubt LA thought that when they drew against us....twice. New England were good on the day.

Shakes McQueen
10-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Our defense still needs some work, but at least the manager knows it, and has admitted as much. I thought Kocic could have done better on both goals, too.

Aside from that, it was an entertaining match. Koevermans was money on the day yet again (easily my favourite TFC player). It's always good to see a TFC team pushing late in a game, instead of wilting like we used to.

This season started off pretty horrendously, but eventually ended up where my expectations were to start the season. I wanted clear progress at the end of the season, and Winter has delivered that.

It's going to be a painful offseason. I wish it was 2012 already.

- Scott

Pookie
10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Here's to a safe, happy and ideally, short, offseason to all RPBs and Registered Users who contributed to this site over 2011.

It got heated here at times this season but in the end we all wear Red.

Like Shakes, this finish has me looking forward to 2012.

Auzzy
10-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes, the game wasn't so great. But it was also clear that many of the players that played the best against Dallas, were gassed today -- and in fact everyone was a bit off, at the end of a long season. It's also clear that New England is not necessarily as bad as their record would have you believe -- at least today.

All things considered, that's why I was happy the boys fought back & at least got a tie. No it's not good enough in the big picture, but it's good enough for me, for today.

Juanito
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I was there with my son. It was an entertaining match. I came because it was the last match of the season and it was nice to give them thanks forthe victory in Dallas. Don't read too much into this match.

We ended the 2011 campaign on a positive note, let's take that into 2012.

Keystone FC
10-23-2011, 04:16 AM
This season started off pretty horrendously, but eventually ended up where my expectations were to start the season. I wanted clear progress at the end of the season, and Winter has delivered that.

It's going to be a painful offseason. I wish it was 2012 already.

- Scott
Agree, but I only think it will be a painful offseason if we see no movement as far as players being brought in or trades made (especially in the defense department). Winter made the comment that they are starting to look at 2012 RIGHT NOW. If so then we should be hearing at least rumors by December, IMO.

Detroit_TFC
10-23-2011, 05:54 AM
It was the last game of the season and looked it. Some of our attacks in the second half, which I could see better from where I was at, looked like they were in slow motion. If just a few of the poke in chances were taken, it really could have been 4-2 for us. Plata's runs continue to some of the most exciting moments in the game, though.

Macksam
10-23-2011, 11:49 AM
It will be a short offseason considering there will be TFC action in February. :drinking::scarf:

We're allowed to make roster changes for the knockout stages, correct? If so, we should start looking at possible CBs to start in February.

prizby
10-23-2011, 01:06 PM
announced crowd of 21,600...thats a joke right?

habstfc
10-23-2011, 01:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the attendance is always tickets sold.

PopePouri
10-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Seems a lot were late. It really filled up into the second half.

menefreghista
10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Seems a lot were late. It really filled up into the second half.

It may have filled up later, but it was still no more than 75% full.

As for how they announce attendance, earlier in the season during a game with a poor attendance TFC FO claimed they announce the number of people who show up, not ticket sales.

Its obvious they are lying though. They just make a number up to make it look better than it really is.

Wooster_TFC
10-24-2011, 08:42 AM
It may have filled up later, but it was still no more than 75% full.

As for how they announce attendance, earlier in the season during a game with a poor attendance TFC FO claimed they announce the number of people who show up, not ticket sales.

Its obvious they are lying though. They just make a number up to make it look better than it really is.

There are regularly (even on a good day) at least a couple 100 people in the beer garden area at all times during the game (standing room). On top of that, there are probably a couple hundred people who move from their seats to the supporters area, or whatever. There's also a question of how many people are in the boxes. Then there's at least probably 500-1k people taking a piss, getting a beer, getting food, dealing with their kid, freezing, whatever and not in their seats.

While this doesn't add up to the sorts of numbers it looks at, throwing in a freezing cold weather that some people may have left early, the GO train not being synched with TFC start times and people always being late, it isn't unfathomable that the numbers might be right.

That said, I believe that they assume that all season ticket holders show up, and do that number + the number of non season tickets scanned.