PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: TFC vs. NE Revs

dantdot
10-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Lineups:
TFC - Kocic; Stinson, Harden, Iro, Morgan; Frings, de Guzman, Johnson; Soolsma, Koevermans, Plata
Bench: Frei; Henry, Yourassowsky, Zavarise, Dunfield, Avila, Marosevic

Revs - Shuttleworth - Alston, Coria, Barnes, Tierney - Guy, Joseph, Feilhaber, Zerka - Caraglio, Lekic
Bench: Murray, Dube, Phelan, Loewy, Schilawski, Cochrane, Mansally

Streams:
none so far

dantdot
10-22-2011, 11:17 AM
First time not seeing any streams listed at all. That's not good.

dupont
10-22-2011, 11:20 AM
First time not seeing any streams listed at all. That's not good.

Yep. Looks like it won't be streaming. :(

do you think this one will work? I'll keep it open and hopefully it will:

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/12489/1/toronto-vs-new-england.html

dantdot
10-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Yep. Looks like it won't be streaming. :(

do you think this one will work? I'll keep it open and hopefully it will:

http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/12489/1/toronto-vs-new-england.html

Doubt it but worth a try.

JuliquE
10-22-2011, 11:36 AM
http://player.rogersradio.ca/cjcl-alt/on_air

kcdolish
10-22-2011, 11:36 AM
this is killing me. Any working streams?

LesH
10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
So no streams today?

swan
10-22-2011, 11:38 AM
http://livetv.ru/en/eventinfo/91265_toronto_new_england/

this says it has it hasn't started yet on it though

dupont
10-22-2011, 11:39 AM
rats

TorontoPat
10-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Well the eastside stands look to be about 10% full :(

jloome
10-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Just realizing what a truly crappy defender Nick Soolsma is going back. Good going forward, though.

Brooker

Last game of yet another losing season, cold day, rainy, practically saturday MORNING.

I'm surprised anybody showed up.

TorontoPat
LOL Iro bodychecks a guy off the ball

dupont
10-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Listening to the radio makes me want to kill myself

Soccerpro
10-22-2011, 11:57 AM
TFC are looking extremely sluggish. They need to pick it up.

Soccerpro
One second after I type that TFC score. Soolsma from Danny K.

dupont
TFC are looking extremely sluggish. They need to pick it up.

Sounds like they just did

TorontoPat
Soolsma from Kovermans

ag futbol
nice work!

Is it just me or does Soolsma look a lot more fit than he did at the begining of the season.

LesH
10-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks for this info, I wanted to ask about attendance number, because I have only radio feed.

So how the fooook they hope to fill at least 75% of SkyDome, if TFC plays there the CONCACAF quarterfinal, if after the best performance ever just so many people showed up today??

LesH
10-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Listening to the radio makes me want to kill myself

There's two of us!
I HATE gamedays without streams :facepalm:

Brooker
10-22-2011, 12:02 PM
So how the fooook they hope to fill at least 75% of SkyDome, if TFC plays there the CONCACAF quarterfinal, if after the best performance ever just so many people showed up today??

Using today as the benchmark for our attendance is not fair at all.

dantdot
10-22-2011, 12:02 PM
NE are actually cheering for TFC on the BS forums. They really hate Nicol.

TorontoPat
10-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks for this info, I wanted to ask about attendance number, because I have only radio feed.

North end half full, Supporters end rockin though. Eastside looks about a third filled now.

dantdot
10-22-2011, 12:07 PM
The goal for those on the radio http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=3833

dupont
10-22-2011, 12:12 PM
The goal for those on the radio http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=3833

Great goal.

Krasno.pL.
10-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Great goal.

great cross!

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 12:18 PM
*groan*

We let them back in with that goal. Could have put our foot down a little earlier and it would have been 2-0.

Brooker
10-22-2011, 12:19 PM
speaking of great crosses...

TorontoPat
10-22-2011, 12:19 PM
New England scores with a header off a corner kick. Zerka

MG42
10-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Wileman and deVos talking about Martinas brace against portland, the 2nd was great

MQd2dZ6fZWo&feature

Brooker
10-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Uh oh.... is that the Tribal Rhythm Retards I hear? How are they still employed?

TorontoPat
10-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Plata hauled down in the box, no call, BS

Brooker
10-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Plata hauloed down in the box, no call, BS

outside the box, ref played advantage.

TFC USA
10-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Fuck me. No one there.

We may care about the CCL but I bet only 10-14k show up for our QFs next March.

Waggy
10-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Fuck me. No one there.

We may care about the CCL but I bet only 10-14k show up for our QFs next March.

Hm, first game of the year, a quarter finals match in the champions league, or the last game of a regular season where we missed the playoffs for a fifth time in late october with rain in the forecast. Can't imagine why the place isn't rammed.

MG42
10-22-2011, 12:26 PM

the Gardiner is shut down at jameson until monday at 5 am

Soccerpro
10-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Avila coughed up the ball to the Revs in the midfield which resulted in the corner kick where TFC did a poor job marking for the goal.

TFC have looked weaker since Johnson went off and Avila replaced him. Avila has got to get it going.

TFC USA
10-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Hm, first game of the year, a quarter finals match in the champions league, or the last game of a regular season where we missed the playoffs for a fifth time in late october with rain in the forecast. Can't imagine why the place isn't rammed.

It's not like this is brand new. The drop in attendance on the eye-test has been obvious since year 2.

We have to start winning. Consistently. I'd like to say "again" but we've never come close to that.

Waggy
10-22-2011, 12:33 PM
It's not like this is brand new. The drop in attendance on the eye-test has been obvious since year 2.

We have to start winning. Consistently. I'd like to say "again" but we've never come close to that.

I disagree with you. I think we just have to have hope. That's all this market ever wants. This game is both hope and meaningless, why would anyone go. Next year with legit hope/optimism, you'll see the trend start to reverse itself quickly. This game isn't an indicator of anything.

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I have to disagree.

There are a lot of people who have the TFC dial set to "off" right now, because they feel burned from the past experience. It's going to take a while to get that back.

I don't see this team consistently filling the building for a while.

Brooker
10-22-2011, 12:42 PM
that was terrible. amazing tackle by frings and then we just let them walk it into the net.

Soccerpro
10-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Ty Harden, enjoy the game, because it will be your last!
He didn't even look to see if there was an opposition player behind him!!

Waggy
10-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I have to disagree.

There are a lot of people who have the TFC dial set to "off" right now, because they feel burned from the past experience. It's going to take a while to get that back.

I don't see this team consistently filling the building for a while.

That ignores every example we have in this city though. When the Raps, after 3 years of SHIT, made the playoffs, the place was PACKED and loud*. As long as people feel the playoffs can be had, they'll be there.

2005 attendence 86% (33-49 season)
2006 attendence 86% (27-55 season)
2007 attendence 92% (47-35 season *PLAYOFFS)
2008 attendence 98% (41-41 season *PLAYOFFS)
2009 attendence 94% (33-49 season)
2010 attendence 90% (40-42 season)

And the Raps were notorious for empty seats too both before and eventually after 2008. But not then, and not in 09. And a 6% jump the year of the playoffs and a 6% jump the next year is not insignificant. It's not like we brought in big drawing players to artificially boost numbers either

Strans
10-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Ty Harden, enjoy the game, because it will be your last!
He didn't even look to see if there was an opposition player behind him!!

I don't think this is true at all. He's gotten substantially better and the coaching staff seems to have a lot of faith in him. He'll be back, but likely/hopefully not in the same capacity... DP CB signing one-time!

(note: that play was real ugly though)

ginkster88
10-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Raptors are Raptors. The NBA was pretty "cool".

TFC are TFC. TFC were "hot". Now they're not. City moving on.

Strans
10-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Hope puts butts in seats to start a season, winning keeps em there. If TFC get off to a strong start next year I wouldn't be surprised to see BMO fill back up pretty quickly.

LesH
10-22-2011, 12:55 PM

+1

It will take at least a full season of good results in MLS (no matter even if TFC will qualify to the CONCACAF semifinals) to have again a full stadium almost every home game the next season.

Waggy
10-22-2011, 12:55 PM

As a fan of both soccer and basketball, I'd say with no reservations Toronto is MUCH more of a soccer city than basketball. Maybe not TFC, but soccer. And if TFC was playing decent football, people will come out. Basketball is MUCH more niche. And also much more expensive (for all our (justifiable) complaints about them raping us on tickets, the Raps are even more of a ripoff). We have short memories here. Watch what Jays attendence does this year.

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Wow, if that handball happened against us and they didn't at least call a yellow I'd be mega pissed.

TFC USA
10-22-2011, 01:00 PM
For every CL triumph we have in an empty Dallas stadium, we have a 6-2 fisting in front of our fans.

So no shock that the attendance is going to go down.

TFC USA
10-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't think this is true at all. He's gotten substantially better and the coaching staff seems to have a lot of faith in him. He'll be back, but likely/hopefully not in the same capacity... DP CB signing one-time!

Harden and Iro need to go. They aren't the future going forward.

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 01:01 PM
That ignores every example we have in this city though. When the Raps, after 3 years of SHIT, made the playoffs, the place was PACKED and loud*. As long as people feel the playoffs can be had, they'll be there.

And the Raps were notorious for empty seats too both before and eventually after 2008. But not then, and not in 09. And a 6% jump the year of the playoffs and a 6% jump the next year is not insignificant. It's not like we brought in big drawing players to artificially boost numbers either
Different sport and level of competition. If the raptors suck, you can still fall back on the best basketball players on the planet coming to toronto, amongst other things.

It also ignores that raps went from being stand-alone tickets to be forced down leaf season ticket holders throats through tied packages just like marlies-TFC. Also ignores average ticket price, which should be considered a barometer.

So the attendance numbers look solid, but the details behind show very real weakness.

Soccerpro
10-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Yes Harden has improved this year, no question. I don't care, when it comes down to it, he still sucks. I'll take Henry as a backup or Cann or Williams as a backup. It's a mental thing with Harden. He has wronged TFC so many times, it's impossible for me to forgive him. It's like having a girlfriend cheat on you in the past. No matter what she says or how she acts, you can't trust her, because you know what she's capable of. He's 27 years old! It's not like he's 18 years old and is just learning!! I will throw a party the day he is told he's done with TFC. He sums up everything that is wrong with the club in the past that needs to be cut off and eliminated.

LesH

You cannot compare NBA with MLS!

While the NBA is the top championship in the world in it's sport, with the best players of the world, the MLS maybe (just maybe) cracks the first 40 best championships in the world.

There's a "little" difference of quality of the entertainment offered, from the point of view of all those who are not real fans of the Raps or TFC.

[NBF]

C'MON MAN!

He shouldn't be playing in this league and thats being nice. He might be better in a league where people just hoof the ball, but the MLS has evolved. Even Shalrie Joseph is looking like he's done in MLS. Just watch.

BTW, this isnt the first time Harden has been shit for us. He has let players slide by him several times throughout the season. The only difference between him and Iro is that Iro had that game versus DC United that everyone remembers, but Harden has had several games with at least 1 goal allowed from his lack of mobility alone.(lack of mobility is directly related to slack marking)

TorontoPat
10-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Wicked save by Kocic

Brooker
Avila playing terrible.

Soccerpro
Just watched the replay of the 2nd goal. Eric Avila's two giveaways led to both New England goals today. He has been very disappointing today for TFC.

LesH
Harden and Iro need to go. They aren't the future going forward.

THIS!

I don't care how much Harden has improved, or that is better than Iro (he is!) but in a serious MLS team he's a bench player at most.

[NBF]
Yes Harden has improved this year, no question. I don't care, when it comes down to it, he still sucks. I'll take Henry as a backup or Cann or Williams as a backup. It's a mental thing with Harden. He has wronged TFC so many times, it's impossible for me to forgive him. It's like having a girlfriend cheat on you in the past. No matter what she says or how she acts, you can't trust her, because you know what she's capable of. He's 27 years old! It's not like he's 18 years old and is just learning!! I will throw a party the day he is told he's done with TFC. He sums up everything that is wrong with the club in the past that needs to be cut off and eliminated.

^ISSUES +1:D

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm glad to hear Paul Mariner's input on the injuries to Decoy Williams and Adrian Cann. We are definitely going to see a new centre back, but I'm curious if Harden will be retained or waived, because that could be two new centre backs.

swan
10-22-2011, 01:08 PM
THIS!

I don't care how much Harden has improved, or that is better than Iro (he is!) but in a serious MLS team he's a bench player at most.

and he will be next year when Cann and williams are back

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Iro I have trouble seeing sticking around..

But Harden looks dead in the water. His old knee injury has taken a not very fast player and made him practically immobile. Just can't stick with anyone.

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Did anyone see that guy in the red sombrero, with the letters TFC accross the top? All red mind you.:) He's definitely got flair(Office Space reference).

Waggy
10-22-2011, 01:12 PM
You cannot compare NBA with MLS!

While the NBA is the top championship in the world in it's sport, with the best players of the world, the MLS maybe (just maybe) cracks the first 40 best championships in the world.

There's a "little" difference of quality of the entertainment offered, from the point of view of all those who are not real fans of the Raps or TFC.

So? It's not about the numbers it's the percentages. NBA fans when the raps were terrible (or at least 14% of them) didn't buy tickets to see the best players in the world, or teams competing for the biggest championship in the sport. When they were mediocre (never good, just mediocre), 12% more people bought tickets. The Jays don't sell huge amounts of tickets to see the best baseball players in the world, but if they have a real shot at making the playoffs people come back quick. The Argos when they were a playoff team were drawing 30k+ on average to the dome, when they were bad 20k. And that's most definitely not the biggest championship in the sport, or the league with the best players in it

Strans
10-22-2011, 01:14 PM
;1395097']C'MON MAN!

He shouldn't be playing in this league and thats being nice. He might be better in a league where people just hoof the ball, but the MLS has evolved. Even Shalrie Joseph is looking like he's done in MLS. Just watch.

BTW, this isnt the first time Harden has been shit for us. He has let players slide by him several times throughout the season. The only difference between him and Iro is that Iro had that game versus DC United that everyone remembers, but Harden has had several games with at least 1 goal allowed from his lack of mobility alone.(lack of mobility is directly related to slack marking)

woah woah woah: Just to be clear, I didn't say that he SHOULD be back next year, I said that he WOULD be back next year. Big difference. You can't argue that Winter/De Klerk have shown (misplaced, perhaps) faith in Harden over the course of the season. Hopefully this was for lack of better options / as a placeholder for Cann until he returns...

By taking Frings out of the CB position and reverting to the favoured 4-man back line, it seems like this is a trial for the formation this team will use next year, and it exposes the glaring holes in personnel that still exist, most glaringly at the CB position...

Azerban
10-22-2011, 01:15 PM
The Argos when they were a playoff team were drawing 30k+ on average to the dome, when they were bad 20k. And that's most definitely not the biggest championship in the sport, or the league with the best players in it

um yes it is

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 01:16 PM
So? It's not about the numbers it's the percentages. NBA fans when the raps were terrible (or at least 14% of them) didn't buy tickets to see the best players in the world, or teams competing for the biggest championship in the sport. When they were mediocre (never good, just mediocre), 12% more people bought tickets. The Jays don't sell huge amounts of tickets to see the best baseball players in the world, but if they have a real shot at making the playoffs people come back quick. The Argos when they were a playoff team were drawing 30k+ on average to the dome, when they were bad 20k. And that's most definitely not the biggest championship in the sport, or the league with the best players in it

You could say that people who go to games regularly are die-hard fans, but you could also say that maybe they dont care how much they spend as long as they have fun.

I think the rest of the people who dont go to the games that are more bandwagoners might be not only smart:), but they might not want to spend their hard earned money on tickets when you know the team has more than a 65 % chance of losing.

It really depends on the pricing IMO. Noone wants to feel like they've been ripped off.:D

mowe
10-22-2011, 01:16 PM
;1395104']I'm glad to hear Paul Mariner's input on the injuries to Decoy Williams and Adrian Cann. We are definitely going to see a new centre back, but I'm curious if Harden will be retained or waived, because that could be two new centre backs.

Are you talking about some new interview I don't know about? Source?

dantdot
10-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Zavarise as bad as the radio makes him seem?

Waggy
10-22-2011, 01:17 PM
um yes it is

In football? I love the CFL/Argos, but it's definitely
NFL/superbowl
NCAA/BCS championship
CFL/Grey Cup
Florida high school football
Texas high school football
California high school football
CIS/Vanier Cup
Arena League

Azerban
10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
In Canadian Football?

fixed that for you

Strans
10-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Danny!!!!

TorontoPat
Koevermans

dupont
Dk Dk Dk

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 01:20 PM
You're cherry picking statistics to make your case.

You could easily hold up the Leafs by comparison and say demand should be indestructible. The Jays or the Rock to show that demand will twiddle down to nothing. Or the raptors to make the exact case you did.

The marketing tactics the club is using, the condition of the ticket re-sale market, and the half-full stands tell the story.

TorontoPat
10-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Crap we're really applying the pressure now

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 01:21 PM
woah woah woah: Just to be clear, I didn't say that he SHOULD be back next year, I said that he WOULD be back next year. Big difference. You can't argue that Winter/De Klerk have shown (misplaced, perhaps) faith in Harden over the course of the season. Hopefully this was for lack of better options / as a placeholder for Cann until he returns...

By taking Frings out of the CB position and reverting to the favoured 4-man back line, it seems like this is a trial for the formation this team will use next year, and it exposes the glaring holes in personnel that still exist, most glaringly at the CB position...

Ok, I see your point that we shouldnt be cutting people left and right without a true replacement.

I will say that Winter I think likes Harden because he is a big body on the defense. He clearly likes tall and strong defenders. For that reason I think he continous to select him and he is a good defender but clearly only able to defend versus lower quality strikers. Im sure if opposing teams just crowd Harden on the attack he would be completey overwhelmed.

Soccerpro
10-22-2011, 01:21 PM

Halftime interview on TSN today

Brooker
10-22-2011, 01:23 PM
how fitting that a Danny would tie this game up at 2-2 towards the end. :)

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 01:24 PM

At halftime, you missed it. He was in the booth with Wileman and DeVos. He also mentioned that its looking good that Eckersley and Plata will both return next season, but the injuries to Decoy and Cann are definitely serious and its up in the air about their returns until they are fully fit.

Winter and DeKlerk will be making the decision as to bringing in a new centre back, but Mariner wouldnt be surprised to see a new centre back.

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Nice challenge there by Stinson

LesH
10-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Why is the Sportsnet stream dying on me all day long?
I had to refresh at least 15 times since the start of the game!
It's my connection?

mowe
10-22-2011, 01:28 PM
;1395124']At halftime, you missed it. He was in the booth with Wileman and DeVos. He also mentioned that its looking good that Eckersley and Plata will both return next season, but the injuries to Decoy and Cann are definitely serious and its up in the air about their returns until they are fully fit.

Winter and DeKlerk will be making the decision as to bringing in a new centre back, but Mariner wouldnt be surprised to see a new centre back.

Thanks for the update. Damn, I really hope Dicoy Williams comes back, I was a pretty big fan of his play. New CB was a given though, we need a quality leader back there.

Strans
10-22-2011, 01:29 PM
;1395121']Ok, I see your point that we shouldnt be cutting people left and right without a true replacement.

I will say that Winter I think likes Harden because he is a big body on the defense. He clearly likes tall and strong defenders. For that reason I think he continous to select him and he is a good defender but clearly only able to defend versus lower quality strikers. Im sure if opposing teams just crowd Harden on the attack he would be completey overwhelmed.

I think you're right, and when you have iro and harden in the middle it's apparent that they need big time help... Iro is too slow, Harden is immobile and neither have the vision/pace to start for this team

Let's enjoy the last couple mins of the season.

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 01:29 PM
A big body like Shalrie Joseph would be good on TFC's 4-3-3 as the anchor man. Maybe a backup for Frings. Kinda like a Claude Makelele.

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 01:31 PM
meh, they did ok but I thought we really should have taken advantage of those chances in the first half.

dupont
10-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Sounds like they could have done better but nice job to come back. Honestly, what a great last part of the season overall. Next year is gonna be awesome!

LesH
10-22-2011, 02:31 PM
meh, they did ok but I thought we really should have taken advantage of those chances in the first half.

I disagree with "they did OK".
It's never OK to not be able to beat at home a team who is lower positioned in the standings, no matter how meaningless was the game for both clubs.

mclaren
10-22-2011, 02:49 PM
So do we finish 3rd last?

69Chevy396
10-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Just want to say thanks to the rpb for providing some entertainment during the games I attended this year. Keep up the great support. I tore up my tickets in August so haven't been at bmo since then, and even forgot they were playing today. Five years was enough,like when a car lease expires, so to my interest in this club. ISo this is my last hurrah. Good luck next year.

Brooker
10-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Just want to say thanks to the rpb for providing some entertainment during the games I attended this year. Keep up the great support. I tore up my tickets in August so haven't been at bmo since then, and even forgot they were playing today. Five years was enough,like when a car lease expires, so to my interest in this club. ISo this is my last hurrah. Good luck next year.

Toronto 'til I die. Good riddance.

Soccer-Ts
10-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Just want to say thanks to the rpb for providing some entertainment during the games I attended this year. . .

RPB provide me with entertainment even when I'm sitting at home watching on tv or on a stream; just reading posts from some of these idiots in the match and post-match threads is hilarious -

LesH
10-22-2011, 03:20 PM
The post-game thread is up (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29927).