PDA

View Full Version : MLS/CCL 20 Oct

Yohan
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Two interesting games

Philly @ NYRB, 8pm

Philly is looking to clinch Eastern Conference with a win, but NY could secure the last playoff spot with a win, with Portland snapping at NY's heels. (Chicago is virtually eliminated) Should be a good atmosphere with lots of Philly supporters making the trip to NJ.

LA@Motagua, 10pm

LA needs a win to advance to quarterfinals. Motagua is playing for pride, but always tough to play in Central America.

I'll be a bit busy to update with stream links but hopefully someone can fill in

Carts
10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Two interesting games

Philly @ NYRB, 8pm

Philly is looking to clinch Eastern Conference with a win, but NY could secure the last playoff spot with a win, with Portland snapping at NY's heels. (Chicago is virtually eliminated) Should be a good atmosphere with lots of Philly supporters making the trip to NJ.

LA@Motagua, 10pm

LA needs a win to advance to quarterfinals. Motagua is playing for pride, but always tough to play in Central America.

I'll be a bit busy to update with stream links but hopefully someone can fill in

Philly/NYRB is on the TV here in Canada tonight as well - so I'll probably crack a Thursday Pint and watch this one...

I expect this to be an intense match with playoff implications on the line...

Lets hope RB Arena isn't 75% empty - even while watching on the TV, it sucks the atmosphere out of the game sometimes when the stadium is empty...

mowe
10-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow Luke Rodgers completely shit the bed there with the chance to go up 2-0. New York lead over Philly in the 60th minute.

Alonso
10-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Two interesting games

Philly @ NYRB, 8pm

LA@Motagua, 10pm

Is Amado playing tonight?

Alonso
10-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Every time Beckham touches the ball the you can hear all the Honduran girls crooning.

Reminds me of the Real Madrid game hear in Toronto, what a shit show, football played second fiddle that night.

NBS
10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
In case nobody noticed, Metapan's win tonight eliminates Colorado from CCL play.

JamboAl
10-20-2011, 10:10 PM
If the Galaxy hold on, I guess we will get one of Monterey, Santos Laguna or LA. I'd rather avoid the first two if possible.

mowe
10-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Would LA top the group with a win? They'd be even on points, but doesn't Morelia have the goal difference advantage?

NBS
10-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Would LA top the group with a win? They'd be even on points, but doesn't Morelia have the goal difference advantage?

I thought at one point that I heard it's goal difference in games between the tied teams, but I'm not sure.

Auzzy
10-20-2011, 10:35 PM
First tie breaker is head-to-head points.

2nd tie breaker is head-to-head goal difference.

mowe
10-20-2011, 10:38 PM
I thought at one point that I heard it's goal difference in games between the tied teams, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's the first tie breaker, but both their games ended 2-1. So according to the rules it would then be decided by goal difference in all group matches. Morelia is +6 and LA is +4 if this scoreline holds.

I asked the same question in the mlssoccer.com chat too and got this response:
Luis Bueno (MLSsoccer.com):
Tiebreakers are really confusing, just know that if Galaxy wins they are first place, don't question it :)

GabrielHurl
10-20-2011, 10:38 PM
head to head points are level
head to head goal difference is level
number of goals scored away from home is the same

unless LA score 3 goals in the last 15 minutes - they stay second

The criteria

Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned
Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned
Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned
Reapply first three criteria if two or more teams are still tied
Greater goal difference in all group matches
Greater number of goals scored in group matches
Greater number of goals scored away in all group matches
Drawing of lots

NBS
10-20-2011, 10:39 PM
First tie breaker is head-to-head points.

2nd tie breaker is head-to-head goal difference.

Well with each team having two wins against Motagua, that leaves two wins against the remaining two in the trio, so it will then go to the second tie breaker.

mowe
10-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Wait I just figured it out. The tie breaker would be between Alajuelense too. So goal difference between all three teams would put LA on top (LA +1, Mor 0, Ala -1). It's crazy how close that group was.

Phew, that's a load off my mind.

rocker
10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
did I hear the commentator call Frankie Hejduk "Hedge-duck"???? haha

rocker
10-20-2011, 10:47 PM
I just follow the wikipedia. usually it's right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_CONCACAF_Champions_League_Group_St age#Group_A

GabrielHurl
10-20-2011, 10:49 PM
this shit hurts my head

rocker
10-20-2011, 10:52 PM
how did he miss that!!!

rocker
10-20-2011, 10:57 PM
So LA wins and goes through, and the Honduran chicks get to have their Beckham orgasms for 90+ minutes... perfect night there for both sides.....

Yohan
10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Group A
1. LA
2. Morelia

Group B
1. Santos Laguna
2. Metapan

Group C
1. Pumas
2. Toronto FC

Group D
1. Monterrey
2. Seattle

Best hope now is to draw LA to advance to semis

NBS
10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
No easy options for TFC as far as QF opponents, not that there was ever going to be. They are all tough at this point.

Some will say LA is preferable since they aren't Mexican and will also be in preseason form, but I don't think they'll be any easier to be honest. They may be better by the start of next season depending on what they do in the off-season. It's an old saying, be careful what you wish for. So I won't wish for anybody, just take our opponent, regardless of who it is, and hope for the best.

Yohan
10-20-2011, 11:07 PM
It really is a goat fuck of a job to advance to semis one way or another. But TFC has done decently against LA and even at HDC.

Although Mexican teams usually kick it a notch in quarterfinals, but it's proven that they can be taken down

NBS
10-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Well we've done decently in 3 of our 4 matches against Mexican team in the past couple of years, so who knows.

It's going to be tough. Maybe we can catch a Mexican team with injury concerns or struggling in the standings and resting one or two players. We won't have that luxury with LA.

Either way, we won't be favoured to win, but you never know. I'm starting to have an ounce of faith in TFC. Hopefully we make some key acquisitions in the off-season and surprise whatever team we face. If we do play at Skydome and get a big, rowdy crowd out to the match, it could make a difference.