He'd be a great addition to the team.
except Jakovic has been injury prone...

ag futbol
01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
He'd be a great addition to the team.
Best distribution in the league IMO.

Greatest Ripoff
01-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Edson Buddle released by Ingostadt. Buddle's Euro adventure is likely over. Twitterings that he may come back to MLS.

Both him and Iro had failed trials with West Ham a couple of weeks ago.

prizby
01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Colombian midfielder Roger Torres signs permanent deal with Philadelphia.

allocation from le toux trade was needed to make it permanent...allocation would have been there had it not been wasted on adu

Canary10
01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Is there a team in the eastern conference who has actually improved besides Toronto? I really think we can challenge for the east. (Different story in the west).

Detroit_TFC
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Is there a team in the eastern conference who has actually improved besides Toronto? I really think we can challenge for the east. (Different story in the west).

IMFC: big talkers, but will be VWFC part deux
NER: coach with no coaching experience, lost key players
NYRB: got rid of DP GK, still has disruptive DP DF, no sign of chaos subsiding
PUFC: coach busted up a fairly well functioning core, #1 GK is 2nd yr rookie.
DCU: weak up front, but otherwise probably in good shape
CC: are they still in the league?
CFSC: might be the best of the rest, resolved a number of roster issues but a lot of new faces
SKC: meh, got rid of grumpy DP, brought in some vets, probably not better or worse than last year
HD: may get home bump from having a new house but lost captain, tried to get DP striker & failed

mowe
01-31-2012, 09:55 PM

I think Houston and SKC are definitely the top two in the East right now. TFC is probably going to compete with NYRB, Philly, DCU, and Columbus for the last 3 spots in the playoffs.

Let's not forget that we have a brand new backline and the two CB's are going to need some time to get used to the league and the team. The defense will determine how far TFC goes this year.

Waggy
01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
WOW. Shots fired. This Le Toux situation sounds Mo level bad, maybe even worse

http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120131/SPORTS03/120139878&pager=full_story

Of course there's 2 sides to every story, but the fact he doesnt even have an agent would make it seem like he really did just want to stay in Philly, whatever they were offering. Too bad. Seems like a good dude

dantdot
01-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Wow, that's nuts. Last line tops it off.

Oldtimer
01-31-2012, 10:57 PM

Agreed. It does seem on the Mo slime meter it would be 5 outta five.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2009/10/26/johnston-mo-090426.jpg

Too bad for him. I'm sure he just wants a simple life in the same city as his g/f.

ag futbol
01-31-2012, 11:05 PM
IMFC: big talkers, but will be VWFC part deux
NER: coach with no coaching experience, lost key players
NYRB: got rid of DP GK, still has disruptive DP DF, no sign of chaos subsiding
PUFC: coach busted up a fairly well functioning core, #1 GK is 2nd yr rookie.
DCU: weak up front, but otherwise probably in good shape
CC: are they still in the league?
CFSC: might be the best of the rest, resolved a number of roster issues but a lot of new faces
SKC: meh, got rid of grumpy DP, brought in some vets, probably not better or worse than last year
HD: may get home bump from having a new house but lost captain, tried to get DP striker & failed
If anyone has improved, it's chicago. They were pretty good in the second half of the season and think they'll be up there this year.

This Letoux trade makes absolutely no sense. I read the article and I still can't believe they unloaded him for allocation money only. I was expecting something like allocation and one of vancouver's strikers or whatever.

Vancouver to me looks like a huge donut. I hope they have fun trying to fit more strikers than they can pay on the field, an average defense, and perhaps the worst midfield in MLS.

gracos
01-31-2012, 11:26 PM
How much would we have to give up to get Jakovic, it would be nice to see a hometown talent come to our team, however I dont think it will come cheap, nice to dream

Yohan
01-31-2012, 11:29 PM
How much would we have to give up to get Jakovic, it would be nice to see a hometown talent come to our team, however I dont think it will come cheap, nice to dream
ya. he's rated very high in DC, and projected to be a starter

Soccerpro
01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
ya. he's rated very high in DC, and projected to be a starter

No thanks, he's prone to blunders.

Canary10
01-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Nowak's got a bit of a checkered history of stuff like this. Looks like he's at it again.

prizby
02-01-2012, 12:40 AM
This Letoux trade makes absolutely no sense. I read the article and I still can't believe they unloaded him for allocation money only. I was expecting something like allocation and one of vancouver's strikers or whatever.

Le Toux trade does make sense and here is why:

allocation from le toux trade was needed to make it permanent...allocation would have been there had it not been wasted on adu

they can also now give Sheanon Williams a much deserved raise

Waggy
02-01-2012, 12:51 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2009/10/26/johnston-mo-090426.jpg

Too bad for him. I'm sure he just wants a simple life in the same city as his g/f.

That's what I took from it too, that he wanted to make a home in Philly. Well hopefully he enjoys Vancouver. God knows moving from that part of Philly to Vancouver is like going from the developing to the first world. And if he gets his $400 000 then I think he'd be able to afford to bring his GF with him out there. I'm sure the Southsiders will make him feel welcome (provided he keeps his scoring rate at what it's been). They really got a bargain there.

Dub Narcotic
02-01-2012, 02:24 AM
That's what I took from it too, that he wanted to make a home in Philly. Well hopefully he enjoys Vancouver. God knows moving from that part of Philly to Vancouver is like going from the developing to the first world. And if he gets his $400 000 then I think he'd be able to afford to bring his GF with him out there. I'm sure the Southsiders will make him feel welcome (provided he keeps his scoring rate at what it's been). They really got a bargain there.

Well, I doubt Le Toux is living in Chester. Philadelphia has lots of nice suburbs.

If you ever want an amusing read, find a Philadelphia forum where the hipster residents are discussing on how to turn the city into the next Brooklyn and angrily attacking anyone who has questions about safety or schools or why the city looks like Iraq, America. That being said, in twenty years I would not bet against them but you could not pay me to live there in the time being.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
No thanks, he's prone to blunders.

i cant see that being a real rumor unless we were definitely going to rid of at least one of Cann, Williams or Harden.
Dunno what DC would want for him, cant imagine he'd be cheap

Detroit_TFC
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
As I mentioned somewhere else, Le Toux's background on the Bolton trial was rather shocking. The Philly FO was trying desperately to fill a budget hole and were trying to get a payday. There certainly could be an other side to all this, but given TFC's experiences, we know as good as anybody what shenanigans can take place between FOs and players.

Whoop
02-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Arturo Alvarez has signed with Portuguese club Paços de Ferreira.

Roogsy
02-01-2012, 10:31 AM

This is precisely the kind of trade I point to when I need to show that teams don't trade value for equal value despite what many claim. Does anyone here honestly believe Le Toux's value isn't much higher than simple allocation money?

Roogsy
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
i cant see that being a real rumor unless we were definitely going to rid of at least one of Cann, Williams or Harden.
Dunno what DC would want for him, cant imagine he'd be cheap

Last I spoke with him, he seemed pretty happy in DC.

Roogsy
02-01-2012, 10:40 AM

http://www.timesherald.com/article/20120131/SPORTS03/120139878&pager=full_story

Of course there's 2 sides to every story, but the fact he doesnt even have an agent would make it seem like he really did just want to stay in Philly, whatever they were offering. Too bad. Seems like a good dude

Wow...

Simply wow.

And people wonder why players have to be ice-cold when dealing with these teams. If players don't protect themselves, the teams screw them the first chance they get. I will never get how fans don't support the players over management.

How you mistreat a player that has helped the Union as much as Le Toux has is beyond me. I am blown away. Best of luck to him.

Whoop
02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
DC United in negotiations with Albanian striker Hamdi Salihi of Rapid Vienna.

Oldtimer
02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
This is precisely the kind of trade I point to when I need to show that teams don't trade value for equal value despite what many claim. Does anyone here honestly believe Le Toux's value isn't much higher than simple allocation money?

It reminded me a lot of the Preki/Mo trade of Cronin for allocation. Same reasoning by the coach. Same callous way of dealing with the player. Only the Le Toux case is even more extreme because he was willing to work essentially for whatever they would give him and he meant so much more to the team's success.

Roogsy
02-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Sam got married in the off-season in case you guys are interested. Good guy. Sweet girl. Great couple. Still misses Toronto.

Oldtimer
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I will never get how fans don't support the players over management.

In this case, I think most people would support Le Toux. Have you read anything different from their fans?

It goes both ways, though. You get players like Mista who essentially rip off the club for an extended holiday, or the more dramatic case in Europe with Carlos Tevez.

The problem is a general lack of ethics in the football business. Each case is unique. It does seem though that in MLS things are weighted against the players in many cases.

Oldtimer
02-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Sam got married in the off-season in case you guys are interested. Good guy. Sweet girl. Great couple. Still misses Toronto.

Glad for him. Wish we could have him back.

Waggy
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Well, I doubt Le Toux is living in Chester. Philadelphia has lots of nice suburbs.

If you ever want an amusing read, find a Philadelphia forum where the hipster residents are discussing on how to turn the city into the next Brooklyn and angrily attacking anyone who has questions about safety or schools or why the city looks like Iraq, America. That being said, in twenty years I would not bet against them but you could not pay me to live there in the time being.

Ahh just kind of assumed from the reference to his local pub being across the street from the offices. Guess it could just be a work local pub. But hey, who knows. If you went back to the late 1980s or early 90s and showed people from Brooklyn (or Harlem, or a bunch of other boroughs) what they became in 20 years they'd be floored. I guess Philly just needs to find their Guilliani

Question related to Le Toux: Philly plays in a brand new stadium funded entirely by levels of government (according to wiki 30 mil from the county and 47 from the state), they sell tickets and jerseys well. They have a decent tv deal. How could they possibly be strapped for cash? I don't get it. How can they not have a somewhat decent practice facility? I'd get if they were building one still (they are fairly new), but they aren't even doing that. Found this BS thread from 3 years ago when I googled http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1069614

Novak tweeted in 2009:

Looking to finalize Union's training facility plans in the near future. Some great options for us. Excited to see one materialize soon. -PN

Maybe Philly is following the TFC model a little TOO closely. But they don't have the ownership, market or fanbase to withstand what we withstood. They don't have a 22 million dollar academy in their future, or serious stadium upgrades, or a real shot at making the Champs League etc. Hope it works out for them.

edit: Hey congrats to Sam. Good for him. I still hold out hope that one day he'll be able to find his way back here. I'm glad he doesn't hold the city accountable for Mo.

ag futbol
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Le Toux trade does make sense and here is why:

they can also now give Sheanon Williams a much deserved raise
I really don't think they had to give up THAT much to get a simple allocation. Yes, I know he has one year left on his contract but they've set themselves back majorly just for a little bit of scratch.

Detroit_TFC
02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Looks like Buddle is going back to LAG.

On the twitter:
@RichardMotzkin Welcome back #14.

Edit: I expect LAG to move Buddle somewhere, not stay, they just have too much up front to warrant keeping him.

Double Edit: Buddle to LA official. Ok, LA now has the most formidable offense but what do they have in defense?

Whoop
02-01-2012, 12:16 PM

He was living in West Chester which is a lot different than Chester.

Roogsy
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Looks like Buddle is going back to LAG.

On the twitter:
@RichardMotzkin Welcome back #14.

Edit: I expect LAG to move Buddle somewhere, not stay, they just have too much up front to warrant keeping him.

Maybe it's bye-bye Barrett?

Canary10
02-01-2012, 12:36 PM
If LA could actually finish some of those sitters Beckham and Donovan set up the rest of the league would be in real trouble. Even more than has been the case the last two years.

ag futbol
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM

No, no, no. 5 out of 5 is reserved for acquiring the player who went to the trouble of asking his old club for a release so he could move back to his hometown and be closer to an ailing family member ... only to trade him right after for another asset.

I'm sure we could come up with a few more, but that's a personal favorite.

PopePouri
02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm highly skeptical of Le Toux's description of events. He was willing to sign whatever they put in front on him, yet he asked for DP money. Plus he takes shots at their training ground for no reason. He's seems incredibly emotional and pulling a lot of this out of his ass. I know FO's are incompetent but if what he says is true, then Philly FO seems worse than Mo's regime, something I can't really believe.

Whoop
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
But it also makes you wonder why Mondragon left as well.

(I know he said it was for family reasons, but still....)

Whoop
02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Ives take on the Philly situation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/philadelphia-union-lose-sebastien-le-toux-faryd-mondragon-013112

Oldtimer
02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
No, no, no. 5 out of 5 is reserved for acquiring the player who went to the trouble of asking his old club for a release so he could move back to his hometown and be closer to an ailing family member ... only to trade him right after for another asset.

I'm sure we could come up with a few more, but that's a personal favorite.

Serioux? That would be 6 out of 5! :D (I guess no one out-slimes ol' Mo.).

Oldtimer
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Ives take on the Philly situation.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/philadelphia-union-lose-sebastien-le-toux-faryd-mondragon-013112

Either Ives has things wrong or someone is lying.

rocker
02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Peter Novak just wrote this on his twitter account:

I do ask that you please stop sending curses to my Twitter account. My daughters and family read them and it is crossing a line. Thank you.

This is the downside of a rabid fanbase... attention... If he were coaching Columbus nobody would give a shit.

RealG-TFC
02-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Philly sport fans...

prizby
02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I really don't think they had to give up THAT much to get a simple allocation. Yes, I know he has one year left on his contract but they've set themselves back majorly just for a little bit of scratch.

really...cuz they are really high on josue martinez, the 21 year old they got from costa rica, mwanaga is a half decent striker, mcinenerny is due for a breakout, and they got chandler hoffman in the draft...i wouldn't say that strike force is tooo bad

Yohan
02-01-2012, 08:16 PM
LA acquires M Kyle Nakazawa from Philly along with a 2nd rd pick for an int spot

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/02/galaxy-acquire-nakazawa-from-union.html

Yohan
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/02/02/2882060/new-england-signs-colombian-forward-jose-moreno-on-loan

The Revs sign F Jose Moreno on loan

Whoop
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Chicago Fire in talks with Greek defender Stavros Stathakis from Skoda Xanthi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stavros_Stathakis

Roogsy
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Peter Novak just wrote this on his twitter account:

I do ask that you please stop sending curses to my Twitter account. My daughters and family read them and it is crossing a line. Thank you.

This is the downside of a rabid fanbase... attention... If he were coaching Columbus nobody would give a shit.

:lol:

Canary10
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
DC United signed Hamdi Salihi to a DP contract (sorry about the font diference there, I had to cut and paste his name from the press release because I've never heard of him and couldn't remember how to spell his name after reading it on the MLS website. Cut and paste seemed easier).

prizby
02-02-2012, 01:48 PM
well unless dc going to spend 250k on a 3rd dp, dero isn't gonna be one

Whoop
02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
According to Goff, they are working on a new contract for DeRo but don't know if it will as a DP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/post/dc-united-signs-albanian-striker-hamdi-salihi-from-rapid-vienna/2012/02/02/gIQAo3rokQ_blog.html

Info on Hamdi Salihi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdi_Salihi

Greatest Ripoff
02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
DC United signed Hamdi Salihi to a DP contract (sorry about the font diference there, I had to cut and paste his name from the press release because I've never heard of him and couldn't remember how to spell his name after reading it on the MLS website. Cut and paste seemed easier).

Still haven't heard of DeRo United or whatever he's going by now having a DP contract. Anyone else heard yet? Hmm....

This guys hasn't always played at the highest of levels but he has a pretty good strike rate. He's only 28, so if he can accomplish same rate in MLS he could be really good for a few years.

Canary10
02-02-2012, 01:55 PM
^ I know, but I'm not in the mood to throw out bones to DC United....

Lucky Strike
02-03-2012, 08:11 AM

Still haven't heard of DeRo United or whatever he's going by now having a DP contract. Anyone else heard yet? Hmm....

well unless dc going to spend 250k on a 3rd dp, dero isn't gonna be one

According to Goff, they are working on a new contract for DeRo but don't know if it will as a DP.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/post/dc-united-signs-albanian-striker-hamdi-salihi-from-rapid-vienna/2012/02/02/gIQAo3rokQ_blog.html

Info on Hamdi Salihi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdi_Salihi

That's brilliant! Perhaps DeRo will get DeGuzmaned again! :D

Ageroo
02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
I love DeRo, but this isn't looking good for him.......I thought Olsen said they were going to do everything to get it done at the end of last season. Either Olsen's hands are tied or he is full of crap....

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Blair Gavin back at Chivas USA:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/02/gavin-returns-chivas-usa-after-taking-personal-leave

Roogsy
02-03-2012, 09:26 AM

Do you really want to open that can of worms? Truth is DC offered him a new contract. Just because YOU haven't heard anything doens't mean nothing is happening. What do you say now?

The first contract he was offered by DC was rejected by MLS.

Canary10
02-03-2012, 09:27 AM
^ Yeah good point.

How 'bout that Sabastien Le Toux trade eh?

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 09:28 AM
^ Yeah good point.

How 'bout that Sabastien Le Toux trade eh?

There is something about Le Toux on that MLS radio thingy. Haven't heard it yet, but I wonder how they will make it work.

Canary10
02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
...I deleted it.

Ageroo
02-03-2012, 09:30 AM
The first contract he was offered by DC was rejected by MLS.

Well that isn't good......the MLS wants to be a league with great players yet it seems like they only want to keep them at their terms. Was the contract that ridiculous? Or is the league just flexing its muscle on this one?

phonzo
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Le Toux was pretty darn good in Philly; be interesting to see him upfront with Hassli.

phonzo
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Curious as to why the league would have sway on the contract..I mean it is a clubs money and their choice to spend.

note: I'm aware it's not deros contract the league probably has input into

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Curious as to why the league would have sway on the contract..I mean it is a clubs money and their choice to spend.

note: I'm aware it's not deros contract the league probably has input into

they have sway on everything, including the Le Toux trade. Everything needs approval.

It's not your typical league, for sure.

Roogsy
02-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Truth is I don't know what will happen. I honestly thought DeRo was going to wind up in Turkey or Germany, I know there were offers. But like before, he is very comfortable in North America and doesn't want to uproot his family again. He may choose to play out this last year of his contract and then go elsewhere with no restrictions because the effort of renegotiating a new contract has been pretty heavy. The repercussions of the Toronto events still ring to this day and you'd be surprised how much owners have an influence behind the scenes on what MLS approves and does not approve.

If this were Europe, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But the MLS contract environment for players is highly skewed towards the league and owners.

Canary10
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm obviously no fan of DeRo but the league should not be able to turn down a contract if the club is playing by the rules. That's absolutely ridiculous. AND, it will allow clubs to bend the rules when the league sees fit. Brutal.

Ageroo
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
If this were Europe, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But the MLS contract environment for players is highly skewed towards the league and owners.

This is a problem.....I know they want a balanced league and what not....but stepping in on negotiations isn't right in my opinion. This can stop people from wanting to sign here.

I am sure it has stopped some from coming in the past....

Hopefully DeRo can get this sorted out....

Ageroo
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm obviously no fan of DeRo but the league should not be able to turn down a contract if the club is playing by the rules. That's absolutely ridiculous. AND, it will allow clubs to bend the rules when the league sees fit. Brutal.

This......

Roogsy
02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
This is a problem.....I know they want a balanced league and what not....but stepping in on negotiations isn't right in my opinion. This can stop people from wanting to sign here.

I am sure it has stopped some from coming in the past....

Hopefully DeRo can get this sorted out....

Most players aren't aware of it until they come here. What brings them here is the money. Once here, when they find out the differences between Europe and NA, many of them are quite surprised, and obviously the ones that get nasty surprises are the ones that get upset.

Canary10
02-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Montreal has a presser scheduled for 10 with a "major announcement." Apparently Jarju wasn't really signed by his old Belgian team.

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Excitement over Buddle's return has reached a fever pitch with Galaxy fans intending to meet the forward when he arrives in Los Angeles International Airport on Friday evening.
“It's nice to have Edson back,” said head coach Bruce Arena, who also confirmed Buddle would return to training Monday. “He's going to be a good addition to our team...We've been in contact with Edson's representative for a while, and we've always made him aware of the fact that if the opportunity presented itself where he could come back, we'd sure like to get him back.”
Buddle returns to the Home Depot Center after a tumultuous few weeks after being dismissed from Ingolstadt Following his departure from Germany, Buddle trained with West Ham and before going on trial with Everton and Belgian side KVC Westerlo. Instead of staying in Europe, Buddle decided to return to the Galaxy, who had retained the forward's rights after he departed for Germany. Following the high profile departures of Juninho, Donovan Ricketts and Gregg Berhalter, the Galaxy were able to fit Buddle into a squad that already boasts three designated player salaries. The 30-year-old U.S. international will now be tasked with forming a partnership with Robbie Keane, who is currently away with English club Aston Villa. With Keane away till March, Buddle will need to hit the ground running when his Irish strike partner returns.
“Hopefully, it’s going to be good,” said Arena. “There’s going to be a lot of work in there, and he’s not going to have much time to work with Robbie.”
Buddle was not the only addition the Galaxy made on Wednesday with the club acquiring midfielder Kyle Nakazawa and a second round draft choice from the Philadelphia Union in exchange for an international roster slot. A Southern California native, Nakazawa arrives in Los Angeles after two productive seasons with the Union making 36 league appearances and starting 22 games.
Looking to add midfield depth after Juninho's departure in the offseason, Nakazawa joins Beckham, Michael Stephens, Dan Keat and recent acquisition Marcelo Sarvas in the center of the park.
“I think he's a good young player,” said Arena. “I've followed him closely for years, obviously at UCLA and with Philadelphia. He's a player we've always wanted to have here at the Galaxy, and I think it's great to have one of our local players come back as well.”
With two new additions in tow, the defending MLS Cup Champions boast a roster that may be considered one of the finest in league history. However, the Galaxy put no stock on how good their squad looks on paper, choosing to prove themselves on the field instead.
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/02/expectations-high-as-buddle-and-nakazawa-join-the-galaxy.html

Roogsy
02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
I have to admit, I thought if the Gals were going to restructure, TFC may have had a chance to compete for the next round. But I also knew that if the Gals decided to restock pieces that leave, we weren't going to be as fortunate as many thought when TFC drew LA for the next round of the CCL. I knew it was a gamble and at this point that draw isn't looking so lucky for us like before. The way they are building right now says to me they want to make a run at this CCL title.

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 09:59 AM
If Beckham was gone (as was expected), and Buddle hadn't had come back, they would have been thrust into at least a partial rebuild. As it is, they look dangerous.

Phil
02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
We tend to be pretty competitive against LA so no matter what state they are in, I expect us to compete.

If we do make it through this round, the next does scare me.

First thing first, win the game on March 7th.

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm actually quite concerned. Arena has done what he needs to to build as great a team as one can given MLS restrictions. Sure Winter has upgraded TFC's defense, but Buddle, Keane, Beckham and Landycakes running at them? It will take skill, calmness of mind, and great positioning to defend against that.

Anyway,

:topic: adding Buddle adds significantly to LA's offensive threat.

Ageroo
02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I have to admit, I thought if the Gals were going to restructure, TFC may have had a chance to compete for the next round. But I also knew that if the Gals decided to restock pieces that leave, we weren't going to be as fortunate as many thought when TFC drew LA for the next round of the CCL. I knew it was a gamble and at this point that draw isn't looking so lucky for us like before. The way they are building right now says to me they want to make a run at this CCL title.

They are still suspect in the backline without Omar.....but as we know our backline although revamped is unproven. It will be interesting to see how we handle the Galaxy attack......if we can withstand their pressure I think our attack will have an easier time of breaking down their backline...

One thing we have on our side is history against the galaxy....we somehow have always played them well the last handful of times.

Ageroo
02-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I still can't comprehend where the galaxy have all this wiggle room for salaries.....Donovan, Becks, Keane, Buddle......how much allocation do they have....I know teams in CCL get extra allocation, but they have some other big contracts as well....Barrett is making over 200K.....

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I still can't comprehend where the galaxy have all this wiggle room for salaries.....Donovan, Becks, Keane, Buddle......how much allocation do they have....I know teams in CCL get extra allocation, but they have some other big contracts as well....Barrett is making over 200K.....

Maybe the league has shot out parity to give LA an advantage to win it all and represent MLS in the CWC. Not fair, but you can see why they would do it, it would raise MLS' profile incredibly. Or maybe that CCL cash is much more than in the past (TFC seems to be able to spend more than they should).

Yohan
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
getting really off the topic, but Buddle kinda dropped into LA's lap. lucky for them.

LA still has issues at defence and DM. it's almost like better version of 08 LA team (you know, the one that scored goals like mad, but can't defend for shit)

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 10:41 AM
^ What I don't get is why he doesn't go into allocation like other returning USMNT players? No way LA had the first spot in the allocation ranking.

They can't claim he's a "discovery signing."

Yet another example of different rules for LA and NY than the rest of the league.

mastermixer
02-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Its crazy to think that DeRo is struggling to get a contract worked out yet Buddle comes back and is ready to go within a couple of days. That is some parity huh?

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Here is one explanation:

Less known is how right of first refusal works. Because Edson Buddle was out of contract, and LA gave him a bonafide offer, they retain right of first refusal on his return. If a team receives allocation money as a result of a transfer, they do not retain right of first refusal.

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2012/1/31/2761887/edson-buddles-return-and-a-primer-on-mls-roster-rules

So the $64 question is, did LA receive allocation cash when Buddle left? If they did, the league is bending the rules for them.

Roogsy
02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
The problem with DeRo is his Canadian citizenship. His agent would love to try to get him trials in England or France but Canada's position on the FIFA rankings gives him little ability to get a visa to actually play there if there was interest. This disadvantage gives him much less bargaining power than say, Donovan who can obtain trials and interest from teams pretty much anywhere.

If DeRo was American, he'd have a DP contract I am sure of it. DC essentially offered him one but the terms weren't to the satisfaction of the league and they know they have him basically limited to MLS.

mastermixer
02-03-2012, 10:50 AM
^ What I don't get is why he doesn't go into allocation like other returning USMNT players? No way LA had the first spot in the allocation ranking.

They can't claim he's a "discovery signing."

Yet another example of different rules for LA and NY than the rest of the league.

Here is a quote by Ives... MLS rules are great arent they?
https://twitter.com/#!/SoccerByIves/status/164757377130840064

@SoccerByIves
LA Galaxy made Buddle a qualifying offer before he left RT @mmMOUF: @SoccerByIves why would Buddle not be subjected to allocation process?

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I think England's rule is that your country has to be top 60 in the FIFA rankings and you play on the MNT.

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Here is a quote by Ives... MLS rules are great arent they?
https://twitter.com/#!/SoccerByIves/status/164757377130840064 (https://twitter.com/#%21/SoccerByIves/status/164757377130840064)

You have to know how to game the system, apparently.

Anyway, you have to hand it to Arena, he has built quite the squad.

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Looks like Buddle's rights for LA is legit:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/soccer/post/_/id/14265/galaxy-might-edson-buddle-return

at least as far as MLS' convoluted rules go.

Oldtimer
02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Some new analysis on the Revs hiring Jay Heaps to run things:

Former Revolution defender Jay Heaps has been given the responsibility of bringing the club back to the forefront of MLS. Many see Heaps’ hiring in a similar fashion to that of Real Salt Lake’s Jason Kreis and DC United’s Ben Olsen. However, unlike Kreis and Olsen who went from playing to managing, Heaps was working for a financial company and doing color commentating on the side following his retirement from the game.
Being overlooked in the criticism of Heaps’ hiring is whether or not he holds a relevant US coaching certificate. That same question could have been asked about Kreis and Olsen when they took over their respective clubs as well. Regardless of certificates it’s whether or not he can produce results on the pitch, and his hiring is most likely the cheapest club being even cheaper.
The New England Revolution is not a club in transition; rather, it is a club attempting to play in MLS as if it was still 1996. This is a club that is being left behind by the rest of the league. While teams such as Kansas City re-established itself with a new stadium, colors and name. The Revolution has stayed true to its origins; and not in a good way.
Perhaps, it’s time for MLS to make a decision on Robert Kraft and company. Get serious about your team, your stadium and change with the rest of the league or face the consequences: Contraction.
http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/its-time-for-mls-to-get-serious-about-new-england-revolution-15046

Read the whole article, it's scathing!

Roogsy
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Some new analysis on the Revs hiring Jay Heaps to run things:

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/its-time-for-mls-to-get-serious-about-new-england-revolution-15046

I always agree with this position:

...but with the talent around him Feilhaber looked less like an US international and more like another run of the mill MLS player.

Yohan
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
What I'd give to have Feilhaber for TFC. Ugh

__wowza
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM

scathing, yes.. but jesus if it weren't true. a lot of teams have stepped up in the last little bit. they understand the league is changing. not too long ago they would've been solid, but with the likes of us, the sounders, portland, a newly revamped KC, philly, KC having enough good sense to step up, houstons progress with their SSS, you can really call it the MLS 2.0 now.

owners need to realize what they're involved in, it's time to shit or get off the pot. the article outlines that the revs are planning like its ten years ago, but id go so far as to say 5. its a whole new game.

Whoop
02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Steve Goff with more on the DeRo contract talks and the new acquisitions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/post/dc-uniteds-dwayne-de-rosario-says-contract-talks-are-moving-forward/2012/02/03/gIQAcNaOnQ_blog.html

Yohan
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Colorado Rapids cut Irish international striker Caleb Folan

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2012/02/rapids-and-forward-caleb-folan-mutually-part-ways

I have a feeling that Rapids will be a dark horse team in the West

Yohan
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Portland's newest DP is no longer a DP due to undergoing a surgery. Beware of what you buy

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/02/jose-adolfo-valencia-undergo-knee-surgery

tfcleeds
02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
^I thought their newest DP was Kris Boyd?

Yohan
02-05-2012, 08:28 PM
^I thought their newest DP was Kris Boyd?
My bad.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9510537.Samba__not_ready_yet___says_Blackburn_Rove rs_boss/

Ryan Nelsen was set to sign with DC United as player-coach until Spurs picked him up.

sully
02-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Colorado Rapids cut Irish international striker Caleb Folan

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2012/02/rapids-and-forward-caleb-folan-mutually-part-ways

I have a feeling that Rapids will be a dark horse team in the West

Calling Caleb Folan an Irish international is a bit of a stretch really. He has a few caps from when he was younger when he was given a chance but he was never a regular

Whoop
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
DC sign former MLS player Marcelo Saragosa

And more on the DeRo contract update (sounds like they'll get it done)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/post/dc-united-news-and-notes-ben-olsen-dwayne-de-rosario-marcelo-saragosa-brazilian-trialists-roster/2012/02/06/gIQA89rDuQ_blog.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Saragosa

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
It would be interesting to see a league-wide analysis of who get stronger and who get weaker. New England may wind up in the bottom even below Montreal. But almost everyone else is stocking up. I think it will be a very competitive season.

Whoop
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Well the MLS power rankings, for what it's worth, had New England at the bottom.

Yohan
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
With so many unknown South Americans, nobody can't really tell whether they will tank or be a success

Roogsy
02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Well the MLS power rankings, for what it's worth, had New England at the bottom.

This line from the Bleacher Report MLS Power Rankings had me giggling...

Great teams don't rebuild. They reload.

I assume they aren't talking about us. :lol:

Detroit_TFC
02-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Timbers are trialing South African international DM Lance Davids, plays for Lierse in Belgium.

Detroit_TFC
02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Rumor that Juninho has been cut from Sao Paulo and might be heading back to LA. That would not be good for us.

Article in Portuguese:
http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/noticia/2012/02/sao-paulo/tricolor-libera-cleber-santana-ao-avai-e-juninho-para-o-la-galaxy.html

Shway
02-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Rumor that Juninho has been cut from Sao Paulo and might be heading back to LA. That would not be good for us.

Article in Portuguese:
http://www.gazetaesportiva.net/noticia/2012/02/sao-paulo/tricolor-libera-cleber-santana-ao-avai-e-juninho-para-o-la-galaxy.html

if this is true.....:eek:

there team will be stupid crazy with donovan, keane, buddle, beckham annddd juninho how is this fair

Detroit_TFC
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
if this is true.....:eek:

there team will be stupid crazy with donovan, keane, buddle, beckham annddd juninho how is this fair

This is like a fucking gift for them (if it happens).

Auzzy
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
How the hell would the Galaxy be able to afford all that?

Oh, I forgot, probably the wrong question to ask when talking about LA.

Shway
02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
More on the Juninho situation
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2012/2/7/2782439/juninho-la-galaxy-sao-paolo-loan

*NO LOAN FEE wtf!!!

prizby
02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
where do they have the cap room

Canary10
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Well that's fun...

Shway
02-07-2012, 01:22 PM
where do they have the cap room

i think you would know by now,that you dont ask about the galaxys salary cap.
Maybe they received allocation for winning the league, for being in champions league, for their tv deal they recently signed.....who knows:picard:

Detroit_TFC
02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Official

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/02/juninho-and-leonardo-return-la-galaxy-2012#.TzFyIulWNfQ.twitter

That is a loaded team.

Yohan
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
i think you would know by now,that you dont ask about the galaxys salary cap.
Maybe they received allocation for winning the league, for being in champions league, for their tv deal they recently signed.....who knows:picard:
LA did clear some cap space with Hejduk, Berhalter, Kirovski leaving. Also apparently loan fee from Donovan and Keane loans are like transfer fees; LA gets a piece of it as allocation money

either way, that's one stacked team. (and Leonardo signs as free transfer from Sao Paolo too)

Roogsy
02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
LA does get special treatment but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that MLS completely turns the lawbook upside down for them.

The truth is that (in addition to getting some "soft" decisions go their way) they have a management team that knows how to work the system.

Another reason why MLS experience is necessary.

ag futbol
02-07-2012, 02:58 PM
^ They get allocation out of the loan fee? really? *groan*

The rules this league is using for salary purposes are bursting at the seams. They would make their lives much easier by simplifying things, giving teams 100% of transfer money and taking all the grey area and bullshit out of the equation.

Auzzy
02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
LA does get special treatment but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that MLS completely turns the lawbook upside down for them.

The truth is that (in addition to getting some "soft" decisions go their way) they have a management team that knows how to work the system.

Luckily we've got Paul Mariner, especially when it comes to "capology" and the like. Not sure if that's enough to compete with LA on level terms though. I mean, the whole DP rule was invented for them, plus Donovan grandfathered. Who knows what else.

prizby
02-07-2012, 03:04 PM

unless the MLS decides to either become transparent or you can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, i call it a fix...it will continue to be a fix until proven otherwise.

Yohan
02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Luckily we've got Paul Mariner, especially when it comes to "capology" and the like. Not sure if that's enough to compete with LA on level terms though. I mean, the whole DP rule was invented for them, plus Donovan grandfathered. Who knows what else.
article on LA's salary cap space

I actually think LA has enough cap space for all their new players, plus even a replacement for Omar Gonzalez

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/45558/is-salary-space-an-issue-for-galaxy-who-knows.html

this would be so much easier if we know how much allocation LA picked up on Ricketts trade, and allocation from Donovan and Keane loan fees

brad
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM

To DP rule was invented for Beckham. They would have made it happen regardless of what team he wanted to go to.

Oldtimer
02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
unless the MLS decides to either become transparent or you can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, i call it a fix...it will continue to be a fix until proven otherwise.

I'm with you, I call it a fix, as well. It would be huge for the league to have LA play Barcelona in a meaningful match, you can bet on that.

The Competition committee has the power to give any team extra allocation dollars for whatever reason they see fit. That's how the system works.

This is beyond Arena being smart enough to game the system. This is the league FO wanting LA to beat the Mexicans and play in the CWC. Unfortunately, TFC will be steamrollered to achieve that goal.

Canary10
02-07-2012, 03:24 PM
^ I wouldn't be surprised if TFC got some allocation money "fix" itself to sign Plata and Eckersley. I think the league knows it's not in its interests to have TFC at the bottom of the league year in and year out. Of course we've not made it easy on them to avoid that situation.

I welcome the signing. Bring on their best team. It'll be an even bigger statement if we can beat them.

Roogsy
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM

It's a crutch though. Call it a fix all you want, you are basically finding them guilty until proven innocent.

The rules that have been bent for them have been pretty obvious. Yes, the DP rule was essentially built for them. Yes Donovan was grandfathered as a non-DP. Yes they added more DPs available. But these rules weren't exclusive to LA (save for Donovan's grandfathered contract) and these "exceptions" were made available to any team, not just LA. So how have the rules been bent for them? While the DP rule was invented for them, any team had the ability to apply it. Beckham came into the league but nothing stopped other teams from bringing on their own Beckhams. Mo and TFC simply decided it "wasn't right". :rolleyes: Whose fault is that, the leagues?

And Donovan's contract at the time of the DP rule was grandfathered, not his current contract. He is no longer grandfathered as a non-DP making DP money, he is a full-fledged DP meaning that "leeway" no longer exists for LA.

I know it's easier to accuse the league of underhanded ways, but I think we are simply using the league as a scapegoat. If it was TFC making deep runs into the playoffs and CCL, signing global stars and bringing in ad dollars to the league, they'd be giving us the same consideration. So I will take the opposite position of yours and accept that while the league has been accomodating to LA, there is no proof that they have broken any rules to favour them.

Oldtimer
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
TFC still has a duty to do their best to beat this team and can't use it as an excuse. However, anyone with a calculator and basic math knows that the numbers for LA don't add up.

Frankly, LA winning it all would even benefit us in Toronto, because it will raise the league's profile a lot. Of course TFC winning it all would be best, but I think its unlikely that would happen.

ag futbol
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
^ Let's remember as well (as much as I'm not a huge fan of this situation) that TFC had some dubious decisions go its way. For example: Frei's GA status was kept well beyond what it reasonably should have been.

In the end, I think they are just shooting themselves in the foot here. Just make it a more open simplified system and be out with it.

Yohan
02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm lazy. Someone else go crunch the math :p

Auzzy
02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
I think a big deal, as others have mentioned, is that many things aren't publicized. We don't even fully know the "normal" allocation rules, let alone the magic allocation dollars awarded by the (anti-) "competition committee."

TFC got a special allocation from the league up front: "Here take Mo Johnston, he's awesome." :D (Sure it's still TFC's fault for taking him, just sayin')

Yes the DP rules were made permanent, and TFC is taking advantage of them. However, there's still the perception that LA gets what they ask for, when they ask for it, even if that favour is then extended to others. Are there things that other teams are asking for, that they aren't getting? Very likely -- and a few things specifically that we have heard about.

There's also been some funky stuff in NY, with a non-MLS-experienced Backe in charge....

In absence of transparency, I can guarantee that rumours & accusations will continue to run rampant around the league, not just at TFC -- and some will even be true.

In no way do I want TFC to use this as an excuse -- more likely use it as a way for all of us & especially the team to be extra pissed & extra motivated. And to continue pushing for fairness & transparency.

mowe
02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
^ Roogsy, it's not a "crutch." TFC still has a duty to do their best to beat this team and can't use it as an excuse. However, anyone with a calculator and basic math knows that the numbers for LA don't add up.

It's not a fix, did you read the link Yohan posted?

The Galaxy dropped a ton of salaries, got allocation for CCL qualification, sold Ricketts to Montreal for allocation, and likely got significant allocation in the Keane and Donovan loans. Not to mention the salary cap increased by $135k. All this is enough to add Buddle and the other guys they brought in, plus probably room for a replacement for Gonzalez.

People tend to ignore the fact that LA is a well run club. They've drafted extremely well, got pretty much the best use out of their DP slots, and brought in some international gems for cheap.

They've got serious aspirations of going to the Club World Cup. TFC needs every player at the top of their game to beat them.

prizby
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
It's a crutch though. Call it a fix all you want, you are basically finding them guilty until proven innocent.

The rules that have been bent for them have been pretty obvious. Yes, the DP rule was essentially built for them. Yes Donovan was grandfathered as a non-DP. Yes they added more DPs available. But these rules weren't exclusive to LA (save for Donovan's grandfathered contract) and these "exceptions" were made available to any team, not just LA. So how have the rules been bent for them? While the DP rule was invented for them, any team had the ability to apply it. Beckham came into the league but nothing stopped other teams from bringing on their own Beckhams. Mo and TFC simply decided it "wasn't right". :rolleyes: Whose fault is that, the leagues?

And Donovan's contract at the time of the DP rule was grandfathered, not his current contract. He is no longer grandfathered as a non-DP making DP money, he is a full-fledged DP meaning that "leeway" no longer exists for LA.

I know it's easier to accuse the league of underhanded ways, but I think we are simply using the league as a scapegoat. If it was TFC making deep runs into the playoffs and CCL, signing global stars and bringing in ad dollars to the league, they'd be giving us the same consideration. So I will take the opposite position of yours and accept that while the league has been accomodating to LA, there is no proof that they have broken any rules to favour them.

i am not talking about rules being bent their way...i am way past that. I am speaking directly to LA having a cap that will probably surpass $3 million while others dont. The league will then say well LA had allocation...this is where the league falters! What allcoation? How much allocation? What are they getting the allocation for? Why is my team not getting that much allocation?

THAT is the FIX!

The league cannot prove without a reasonable doubt that there is no fix without releasing these numbers...plain and simple

Auzzy
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
"No loan fee" for Juninho still sounds interesting. In light of this thread & the CCL thread, I've often wondered how many ways there are for MLS teams to "get creative" w/o the league even screwing around. Let's just imagine, after this "free" Juninho deal, if Sao Paulo comes up to LA for a friendly in the next 1-2 years, or to another team where Anschutz is involved. Then what if Sao Paolo receives an appearance fee for that game, that is perhaps $100k or $200k more than what a team like them would "normally" be paid for a friendly?

There are probably many other ways to "get creative" like that. No idea what is regulated & how. More transparency would help.

prizby
02-07-2012, 04:05 PM

The Galaxy dropped a ton of salaries, got allocation for CCL qualification, sold Ricketts to Montreal for allocation, and likely got significant allocation in the Keane and Donovan loans. Not to mention the salary cap increased by $135k. All this is enough to add Buddle and the other guys they brought in, plus probably room for a replacement for Gonzalez.

People tend to ignore the fact that LA is a well run club. They've drafted extremely well, got pretty much the best use out of their DP slots, and brought in some international gems for cheap.

They've got serious aspirations of going to the Club World Cup. TFC needs every player at the top of their game to beat them.

and keane's cap hit goes up, so does barrett now that we aren't paying that, saunders got a new deal, franklin got a new deal, im sure marcelo sarves wasn't cheap, im sure juninho on loan, while the fee might be free, that salary hit is going up...did they get leonardo on a free, im sure his salary will go up, then there is edson buddle who went from 179k in the mls to over 500k in germany...don't think he settles on anything less than 250k

and again the question is this...how much allocation...its a fix unless the mls can prove otherwise

ag futbol
02-07-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/uploads/746/conspiracy.jpg

Oldtimer
02-07-2012, 04:11 PM

LA is a very well run club, no denying that.

But I call bullshit on the figures. It's not just Arena's genius that enables them to do what they are doing.

and keane's cap hit goes up, so does barrett now that we aren't paying that, saunders got a new deal, franklin got a new deal, im sure marcelo sarves wasn't cheap, im sure juninho on loan, while the fee might be free, that salary hit is going up...did they get leonardo on a free, im sure his salary will go up, then there is edson buddle who went from 179k in the mls to over 500k in germany...don't think he settles on anything less than 250k

and again the question is this...how much allocation...its a fix unless the mls can prove otherwise

I see you have a calculator (which mowe apparently doesn't have).

Shway
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
The team is going to need us, the 40,000 in attendance, to give the best support we can for these guys, because this is going to be one hell of a test!

Oldtimer
02-07-2012, 04:14 PM
http://www.ybig.ie/forum/uploads/746/conspiracy.jpg

humorous, but MLS supporters have been saying that LA gets their way for years. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

__wowza
02-07-2012, 04:22 PM
This line from the Bleacher Report MLS Power Rankings had me giggling...

I assume they aren't talking about us. :lol:

i hate the bleacher report sometimes, even with all its time wasting potential. this was in another article, "Had Toronto not advanced, chances are there is a new boss at the helm (other than winter)."

factually and grammatically incorrect. :facepalm:

burden of proof is on us to prove that. we cant make a claim and say "you have to prove us wrong", especially when they very well could have allocation/rules in their favour/geniuses at the helm making the most of the salary cap.

either way, im looking forward to David vs. Goliath round II :scarf:

mowe
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM

Keane's cap hit doesn't affect anything, LA's net cap hit on DP's is the same as last year. Again, if you read this article: http://www.socceramerica.com/article/45558/is-salary-space-an-issue-for-galaxy-who-knows.html , you'll see that the salary coming off their books is more than enough to cover all those players you mentioned. LA has $731k to spend because of the expired contracts and the increase in the salary cap. Then you have the allocation we can be sure of due to CCL qualification and selling Ricketts which add up to at least $200k.

If you actually look at the numbers it's not inconceivable that the Galaxy can fit in all these players. But you've already made up your mind so I guess facts won't do anything to change that.

PopePouri
02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Questions can be asked how we are getting our new signings under the cap.

ag futbol
02-07-2012, 04:31 PM
It looks like there is an advantage but at the same time nobody in this thread has done any math beyond back of the napkin type stuff. Hardly fail-proof. It's also a microscope on LA when we could look beyond that to other teams: How does TFC in its third season end up with a million dollars more payroll than any other team without a DP (this was pre-JDG)? How does a top prospect from Columbia being considered by La Liga clubs end up in Seattle for a nominal transfer fee? I'm sure there is more stuff like this to be recounted.

The other thing to consider is: why doesn't our management adapt similar practices if they think they are effective? I'd rather scrap to get a similar advantage rather than cling to the rule book.

Roogsy
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
It looks like there is an advantage but at the same time nobody in this thread has done any math beyond back of the napkin type stuff. Hardly fail-proof. It's also a microscope on LA when we could look beyond that to other teams: How does TFC in its third season end up with a million dollars more payroll than any other team without a DP (this was pre-JDG)? How does a top prospect from Columbia being considered by La Liga clubs end up in Seattle for a nominal transfer fee? I'm sure there is more stuff like this to be recounted.

The other thing to consider is: why doesn't our management adapt similar practices if they think they are effective? I'd rather scrap to get a similar advantage rather than cling to the rule book.

:iamwithstupid:

__wowza
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
wait, as we've qualified for the CCL, we get allocation $ right?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

this should clear up some of the conspiracy theories. under this, the galaxy can get allocation money for the following:

the transfer of a player to a club outside of MLS for value;
qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League;
have two vacant slots on their $35k roster (slot 29 & 30) which would make the maximum amount they can get from this 70k in allocation

with it they can buy down salaries under the salary cap with a salary not being under 150k. the MLS Competition Committee determines the amount of money that be given to each club. There is no set amount specified, and no "equal distribution" rule for clubs should they meet the above criteria or should they fail to make the make the playoffs. with the allocation money, clubs can use it:

To sign players new to MLS (that is, a player who did not play in MLS during the previous season).
To re-sign an existing MLS player, subject to League approval.
To “buy-down” a player’s salary budget charge below the League maximum of $335,000.
In connection with the exercise of an option to purchase a player’s rights or the extension of a player’s contract for the second year provided the player was new to MLS in the immediately prior year.

prizby
02-07-2012, 05:58 PM
burden of proof is on us to prove that. we cant make a claim and say "you have to prove us wrong", especially when they very well could have allocation/rules in their favour/geniuses at the helm making the most of the salary cap.

either way, im looking forward to David vs. Goliath round II :scarf:

when the players union release the numbers, we'll add up there top 20, if its over 2.81 million, well then someone needs to do some explaining.

I got Becks, Landycakes, Kean-o, Barrett, Gonzalez, Dunivant, Magee, Perk, Stephens, DeLaGarza, McBean, Keat at $2,130,127.85 (assuming outside of the 3 DP's, everyone gets a 5% increase from the previous year, which seems to be about the norm in the MLS).

That leaves 8 spots assuming they are for Franklin, Saunders, Sarvas, Leonardo, Juninho, Boyens, Buddle, and Cardozo...with a 5% increase in their previous mls salary, that is $2,843,280.23...take away the 5% increase from everyone and its all based on their previous mls salary, then they are at $2,755,743.08...this does not include whatever salary Marcelo Sarvas is going to get (i'd guess somewhere around $75,000-$100,000)

Assuming that there is a 5% increase, they are already $34,530.23 over the cap not including Sarves salary. Now lets look at the last 8 I mentioned

Marcelo Sarvas...transferred over from Alajuelense, which probably cost a minimal amount of allocation in terms of a transfer fee (maybe $50,000 tops)...I'd guess he would be due something in the likes of $75,000-$100,000)

Sean Franklin...was rumoured to be heading to Europe, for whatever reason didn't, and eventually resigned with the Galaxy...one of the best RB's in this league, gotta think he was due for pay raise. My guess would be around $150,000.

Josh Saunders...now the number 1 goalie, signed a new contract and probably going to get paid #1 goalie type of pay (somewhere in the $120k-$180k range). My guess is $135,000 for the first year.

Paulo Cardozo...just looking at last years numbers, he was #20 on the list, not much of change, in the $55,000 range.

Andrew Boyens...picked up from Chivas USA, made $60,000 last year, I don't expect much of a change.

Leonardo...understand he is now with the Galaxy fulltime after being released and so he came on a free; wonder if his previous contract was being subsidized by his Brazilian team (like Ecks was by Burnley)...wouldn't expect the Galaxy to pay much more than what he got last year. My guess is no more than $120,000.

Juninho...if the reports are true, then the loan fee was waived, but he just signed a new contract with Sao Paulo which would signify potentially getting a raise, how much will Sao Pualo subsidize on his loan this time to LA? My guess is $150,000.

Edson Buddle...coming back from Europe where he was making somewhere north of $500,000/year...I can't see him taking less than $250,000/year to return to MLS; that'd be my guess.

All that considered, I'd peg the Galaxy somewhere around $3.15 in terms of cap hit meaning they need about $350,000 of free allocation to pay down players salary...and I feel I am being conservative with my numbers.

They way over the cap (we won't know for certain until the players union gives us the numbers to dissect) and Garber will give them whatever allocation they need to stay under.

mowe
02-07-2012, 07:08 PM
^ Great job laying that out but I'm going to disagree with your predicted salaries. Juninho has no leverage, so why would they give him a 60k raise? And Leonardo is still coming back from injury but you have him getting a 20k raise. Also, despite being the new #1, I doubt Saunders is getting more than double his salary last year.

In any case they are not "way over the cap". Let's look at the allocation we know for sure they have. First they probably got at least a half allocation for making the CCL QF, which is supposedly $70k. Again that's a minimum. Next they sold Ricketts to Montreal and there's no way they got less than $150k allocation in that deal. He's one of the best keepers in the league. That's a $220k already, and I'm certain that figure is much higher. Add in what they might have gotten in Keane/Donovan loan fees and you can see they easily cover their salary for this year.

Like you said, we won't know for certain until the figures are released but the Galaxy are well within the normal range. Being convinced at this point that there has to be under-the-table allocation is absurd.

Oldtimer
02-07-2012, 07:44 PM
^ Interesting idea about the loan fees, but but the loan fees would reduce the off-budget payroll paid by AEG, not the cap amount paid by MLS. As long as a DP's effective pay is paid above the league non-DP maximum, the full charge should be hitting the salary cap.

Even with your convolutions, they are still over.

As far as Juninho goes, the whole deal reeks. Why would Sao Paolo be helping out LA?

The most important item in the MLS rules is:

Each year the MLS Competition Committee determines the allocation amount to be made available to each club.Who is to say that they didn't decide something like "any club qualifying for the CCL with a player over $5 million on the roster gets an additional $500k in allocation money." Of course their deliberations are secret, the amount of allocation which each club gets is secret (and they aren't telling), the basis for calculating the allocation money is secret, and LA is apparently over budget by prizby's calculation, which if anything is extremely conservative. A reasonable conclusion is that the league wants them to win the CCL, and is giving them extra allocation cash to do so.

Yohan
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
^ Interesting point about the loan fees, but but the loan fees would reduce the off-budget payroll paid by AEG, not the cap amount paid by MLS. As long as a DP's effective pay is paid above the league non-DP maximum, the full charge should be hitting the salary cap.
word on the street is that any loan fee received by LA may be treated just like a transfer fee, and a percentage is converted into allocation cash, and a percentage goes to MLS (I don't know how true this is, but it kinda makes sense)

Oldtimer
02-07-2012, 07:57 PM
word on the street is that any loan fee received by LA may be treated just like a transfer fee, and a percentage is converted into allocation cash, and a percentage goes to MLS (I don't know how true this is, but it kinda makes sense)

Interesting. Again we see favouritism towards LA and New York.

Yohan
02-07-2012, 07:59 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/b64k1g.png

A Galaxy supporter doing the math

Yohan
02-07-2012, 08:00 PM
how is this favouritism?

Roogsy
02-07-2012, 08:41 PM

If it is a structure that any MLS team has access to how is it favouritism? Sometimes we have to stop the "woe is us" attitude and learn to take care of business.

Oldtimer
02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
on Juninho:

Sao Paulo and the Galaxy have agreed to a yearlong loan, with the Brazilian giants paying his entire salary.

Interesting.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2784-Team-Galaxy

Ajax TFC
02-07-2012, 10:39 PM
This free loan shit just gave me an idea. MLSE should set up an other team in a cap free league (make their own league if they have to!), buy a bunch of stars for that team, and loan them all to TFC for free!

ensco
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
We can't compete against this directly. It's how the strong get stronger. It has to be the case that, both a talented player, and a team considering loaning out a young talented player, would view a year or two with Beckham, Keane, and Donovan as a superior option, and not just relative to other MLS teams.

prizby
02-08-2012, 01:33 AM
^ Great job laying that out but I'm going to disagree with your predicted salaries. Juninho has no leverage, so why would they give him a 60k raise? And Leonardo is still coming back from injury but you have him getting a 20k raise. Also, despite being the new #1, I doubt Saunders is getting more than double his salary last year.

In any case they are not "way over the cap". Let's look at the allocation we know for sure they have. First they probably got at least a half allocation for making the CCL QF, which is supposedly $70k. Again that's a minimum. Next they sold Ricketts to Montreal and there's no way they got less than $150k allocation in that deal. He's one of the best keepers in the league. That's a $220k already, and I'm certain that figure is much higher. Add in what they might have gotten in Keane/Donovan loan fees and you can see they easily cover their salary for this year.

Like you said, we won't know for certain until the figures are released but the Galaxy are well within the normal range. Being convinced at this point that there has to be under-the-table allocation is absurd.

Juninho isn't necessarily getting a raise. I think Sao Paulo say to the Galaxy, you want him, well you are going to have to cover more of his salary. I'm willing to bet Sao Paulo was still paying some of Juninho's salary last year.

Leonardo has leverage now...now that Omar Gonzalez is injured.

Saunders doubling his salary takes him to $130,000, only $5000 off what i said.

You really think that the Montreal gave up $150,000 in allocation for an injury prone goalie set to make $200,000/year. In 2012, is Donavon Ricketts worth $350,000 to have on your team? I am sure they got some allocation, but nowhere near that amount.

How much allocation was needed to buy Marcelo Sarvas?

How much do you honestly expect teams are going to pay for a 2 month loan? Maybe $100k per person...MLS seems to say we take 1/3, you get in allocation 1/3, and then the final 1/3 is for developing your academy, paying bills, store in your operation coffers...Tim Ream sold for $2 million and the word is the Red Bulls got $650,000 in allocation...so $200k in loan deals would net $65k in allocation

This free loan shit just gave me an idea. MLSE should set up an other team in a cap free league (make their own league if they have to!), buy a bunch of stars for that team, and loan them all to TFC for free!

to be honest, i really thought the red bulls would have exploited that already

mowe
02-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Sao Paulo weren't going to play him anyway, the manager specifically said they have too many midfielders for Juninho to have a place in the squad. LA probably got him on the same loan agreement they had before.

Leonardo is coming off a major injury himself and likely wouldn't be playing for a month or two (similar to Cann/Williams). Sao Paulo letting him go on a free transfer should tell you something.

And yes I do think Montreal paid that much for Ricketts. One season with an injury isn't enough to tag a player injury prone. Montreal gets a ton of expansion allocation and they can afford to buy one of the best GK's in the league. If Ricketts was as cheap as you think wouldn't Seattle or NY or any other team who needs a GK get him?

The Galaxy don't overpay random guys and they are a very appealing club. I'm sure every player they signed this off season (including Buddle) was at a reasonable price. They don't have to rely on the Garber Galaxy allocation anymore.

__wowza
02-08-2012, 09:01 AM

i tried something similar once, i got banned from trophymanager ;)!!

Oldtimer
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Juninho isn't necessarily getting a raise. I think Sao Paulo say to the Galaxy, you want him, well you are going to have to cover more of his salary.

The Galaxy aren't paying any of his salary. Why would Sao Paulo do this? That is the larger question. They could easily loan him to a club in their own country, or a neighbouring country.

McCarthy's Musings: Juninho's return strengthens LA Galaxy and raises questions about the club's salary budget situation

Bruce Arena's side will welcome the influential Brazilian back to southern California, but his arrival renews concerns about the Galaxy's compliance with MLS salary restriction.

Interesting.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2012/02/08/2893734/mccarthys-musings-juninhos-return-strengthens

Roogsy
02-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I think this whole "free loan" thing is something being made out of nothing. There are many ways the Galaxy can compensate the Brazilians in order to make this work financial while not having to claim Juninho vs the salary cap. For example, they may give a discount on their price to hold a friendly vs the Brazilians down there, or vice versa, may pay more to bring up the team in LA. They could agree to "future considerations" in other trades. They could offer them the vast services of the ownership group such as promotions and events. Who knows? The question is, would any of that be contrary to the MLS rules?

Canary10
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I say TFC test the league's resolve on the salary cap and bring in a DP type player (money willing) during the summer transfer window and see what the hell happens.....

Oldtimer
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
^ more importantly for us, is there some loophole that TFC management could exploit?

However, the noise around MLS is that LA writes their own rules.

Canary10
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't know if LA is breaking rules or not. It's impossible for a fan to know. But the fact that other (influential) coaches are talking behind closed doors, as that article suggests, is a problem for MLS. I think we'll see something like a rebellion happen, where teams with money will start to really push the salary cap boundaries.

Roogsy
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Doubt it. If you knew the dynamic at the league office with the owners you'd be surprised. There is no rebellion anywhere within sight.

Whoop
02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
MLS needs LA to win the CCL in order to grow the game because RSL making the final wasn't enough.

brad
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Also - having Landycakes and Becks in another playoff run and MLS cup certainly wouldn't hurt the leagues growth.

Canary10
02-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Doubt it. If you knew the dynamic at the league office with the owners you'd be surprised. There is no rebellion anywhere within sight.

You don't think Seattle might test the waters a little bit?

__wowza
02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
MLS needs LA to win the CCL in order to grow the game because RSL making the final wasn't enough.

id say that within the next decade you'll see MLS teams start forming derby rivalries based on the number of times they clash in the later rounds of the CCL alone. it'd be interesting to see an MLS team make the final two years running..

im going to be optimistic as fuck and hint that it'd be us.

Whoop
02-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Jose Moreno not joining the Revs?

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/02/revolution-forward-moreno.html

prizby
02-08-2012, 10:50 AM

why LA...why not Toronto...thats bush league

Whoop
02-08-2012, 10:55 AM
It's was tongue in cheek to the "Club vs. Country" thread.

Though I think ultimately MLS would love LA, and to a lesser extent a team like Seattle or New York, to win the CCL.

Whoop
02-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Philadelphia Union sign Colombian forward Lionard Pajoy.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2012/02/union-sign-colombian-forward-pajoy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionard_Pajoy

Roogsy
02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
You don't think Seattle might test the waters a little bit?

Nope.

Roogsy
02-08-2012, 11:49 AM
why LA...why not Toronto...thats bush league

Until we get our act together, we will continue to be the red-headed stepchild, pun intended.

prizby
02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Until we get our act together, we will continue to be the red-headed stepchild, pun intended.

act together...we just invested $20 mil into an academy...what have other teams done

its still bush league

Canary10
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
LA is going about being the "best team in North America" one way, by buying expensive well-known players. TFC is going another route by investing in the academy and hopefully developing the talent at home (with some lesser known and slightly cheaper DPs thrown in). Will be interesting to see which pays off in the long run.

brad
02-08-2012, 12:13 PM
LA are also more marketable than we are for a number of reasons. When trying to build the fan base in the league that is important.

__wowza
02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
LA is going about being the "best team in North America" one way, by buying expensive well-known players. TFC is going another route by investing in the academy and hopefully developing the talent at home (with some lesser known and slightly cheaper DPs thrown in). Will be interesting to see which pays off in the long run.

its a tale of two cities.

in my belief toronto's going to come out on top, despite LAs attractiveness to stars, investors and media outlets. here's my reasoning:

LA is going to have to go the expensive route for talent that may or may not work. no matter how expensive someone *cough*andycarrol *cough* is, or how much talent they may have, talent alone won't drive their success on a team. TFC on the other hand have taken the route you mentioned, choosing to invest roughly four *beckhams into an academy. from there, at a reasonable rate of return, we'd be producing 2-4 potential starters every year of it being run. these are players that're being bread for our team, and groomed for whatever formation and weakness we may be having. should they not pan out, we can trade them to teams to fill in the gap, allocation to whittle away at our salary cap, or higher draft picks to develop and continue the cycle.

simply put, toronto is going to be getting the most bang for it's buck. it'll be a slower build for sure, but we can't think that we'll ever have the opportunities LA has. it's the attraction of the city itself, not the team. it's safe to say that the YA we're investing in will be one of the best moves made by a club in the MLS.

*beckham is now a mode of currency (ъ), equivalent to 5.5 million american dollars. for example, the TFC roster for last season outside of the salary cap is equivalent to: .77ъ

now if you'll excuse me, im going to go create a thread where i convert the rosters of every team in the MLS to beckhams.

Oldtimer
02-08-2012, 12:24 PM

To put it in a Spanish context:

LA = Real Madrid (buy big stars and form a Galacticos team)
TFC = Barcelona (build through the academy and add a few key pieces, largely from South America)

...obviously at a much lower level, but just to highlight the different approaches.

As a supporter, I hope that TFC's strategy pays off, but in the Spanish example, both methods have worked on the pitch.

Canary10
02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
It'll be hard in a salary capped league to keep going the DP route. You really can't be Real Madrid with MLS's rules, as much as LA likes to push the boundary on that. Really you have to be able to do both. One thing about LA that they don't get a lot of credit for is that they have a lot of spare parts on that team who still seem to contribute. Credit to Arena for that.

__wowza
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
not really news, but this just looks weird:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/6003844.bin?size=620x400s

los sonadores
02-08-2012, 09:33 PM
not really news, but this just looks weird:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/6003844.bin?size=620x400s

Yeah, very weird... this would be what the TFC kits would be if the Raptors hadn't broken with the post 1927 Toronto blue and white tradition: Leafs, Argos, Huskies, Marlies, Blue Jays... (Ya can't can't sell Jurassic park figurines to kids unless you use purple!).

It's weird too being the reds... sorry, but i always think I'm watching liverpool (ok, except in the quality of the play).

Dub Narcotic
02-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I think Montreal is going to absolutely suck this year. No depth, no great players, and not particularly young outside of Valentin and Wenger either.

rocker
02-08-2012, 09:59 PM
LA's success is not just about buying DPs, in my opinion though. Remember they had Beckham and Donovan and the team sucked under Yallop and Gullit. What changed things is not just buying players but getting the right coach. If you handed LA to someone else, that team wouldn't have come together the way it did. Arena is one of the few maestros of the coaching ranks... one of the few to coach at multiple teams even. Yallop and Gullit (under shitty Lalas) failed.

And let's not forget that the cap/roster compliance date is a ways off. Counting salary now is futile because many don't have guaranteed contracts -- they could just dump them near the end of preseason. Count the salaries of the players who exist on opening day.

Yohan
02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Houston acquires F Macoumba Kandji for a 2014 conditional draft pick from Colorado.

Potential bargain buy for Houston, if Kandji gets his groove back from his injuries. Guy has the tools to be MLS version of Drogba, but will his knees hold up?

Shway
02-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Houston acquires F Macoumba Kandji for a 2014 conditional draft pick from Colorado.

Potential bargain buy for Houston, if Kandji gets his groove back from his injuries. Guy has the tools to be MLS version of Drogba, but will his knees hold up?

YEA RIGHT!

kandji isn't fast, nor strong for his size
hes more like a kenwyne jones

Yohan
02-09-2012, 12:33 AM
YEA RIGHT!

kandji isn't fast, nor strong for his size
hes more like a kenwyne jones
he was pretty fast, before his ACL injury. I think he's pretty strong physically, though mentally not tough enough

n9U41eFyNJA

jkjIhUmZh9o

Philly signs 30 yr old F Lionard Pajoy from Colombia

Yohan
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/la-galaxy-test-mls-limits-on-american-soccer-020812

Ives take on LA salary cap situation. Some interesting numbers being thrown around there

Dealing Ricketts to the Montreal Impact for what sources tell FOX Soccer was $200,000 effectively created an almost $400,000 salary cap windfall for the Galaxy (Ricketts was due to make around $200,000 in salary). That amount more than covers the return of Buddle as well as Saunders’ new contract.

The Galaxy were also rewarded for their success, receiving $300,000 in allocation from MLS for winning the Supporters Shield and their participation in the CONCACAF Champions League. Those funds, coupled with $150,000 in allocation the team already had banked, will help the team cover the costs of player raises as well as offset the impact of Keane counting as a full-season designated player (he counts $335,000 towards the team’s salary cap, as opposed to $167,500 as a mid-season acquisition in 2011).

Los Angeles also shed significant salary in the off-season with the retirements/departures of Chris Birchall, Frankie Hejduk, Gregg Berhalter, Jovan Kirovski and Dasan Robinson - five players who made a combined $535,000 in guaranteed salary in 2011. These moves helped pave the way for additions like Sarvas, Pat Noonan, Andrew Boyens and Nick Noble.

Greatest Ripoff
02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah, very weird... this would be what the TFC kits would be if the Raptors hadn't broken with the post 1927 Toronto blue and white tradition: Leafs, Argos, Huskies, Marlies, Blue Jays... (Ya can't can't sell Jurassic park figurines to kids unless you use purple!).

It's weird too being the reds... sorry, but i always think I'm watching liverpool (ok, except in the quality of the play).

The Metros and Blizzards both wore red kits.

Oldtimer
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/la-galaxy-test-mls-limits-on-american-soccer-020812

Ives take on LA salary cap situation. Some interesting numbers being thrown around there

They got extra money for winning the supporters shield?

Yohan
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
They got extra money for winning the supporters shield?
news to me as well... though it's Ives reporting it so...

mowe
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the article. That should quiet the conspiracy theorists (for now). I'll say it again, you can't underestimate being a well-run club that makes smart moves. Understandably, that's a foreign concept for TFC fans.

Roogsy
02-09-2012, 02:36 PM

:lol:

What did I say about Barrett?

rocker
02-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Interesting article by Ives... and as I said before, roster compliance date for the cap hasn't arrived. Barrett would be the easy one to dump, as Ives suggests, and it would save them a lot of cap money.
I know Arena loves Mike Magee, but the jack-of-all-trades is making a lot of money for a guy in his position, and could be moved I think. But Arena probably wouldn't do that.. he's useful (even in goal ;)

Oldtimer
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Well there are still some anomolies to consider, some which haven't been discussed in this thread.

However, let's stick to cap space. It's interesting that LA got allocation for winning the Suporters' Shield. That has never been reported as happening before, In fact, giving such an award goes against parity. Could it be that the rules are being changed on the fly to help LA win the CCL and have Beckham in the CWC? Nawww,,, it couldn't be...

or could it?

Roogsy
02-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Well there are still some anomolies to consider, some which haven't been discussed in this thread.

However, let's stick to cap space. It's interesting that LA got allocation for winning the Suporters' Shield. That has never been reported as happening before, In fact, giving such an award goes against parity. Could it be that the rules are being changed on the fly to help LA win the CCL and have Beckham in the CWC? Nawww,,, it couldn't be...

or could it?

Nope.

Winning has been rewarded with allocation space for some time. We didn't seem to mind when we made it into the CCL and got rewarded with allocation space did we?

Oldtimer
02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Nope.

Winning has been rewarded with allocation space for some time. We didn't seem to mind when we made it into the CCL and got rewarded with allocation space did we?

CCL has had allocation space since last year, I think (since MLS decided it needed to take it more seriously). I don't think that the SS had cash, though.

__wowza
02-09-2012, 04:07 PM

im wondering though, how much money is distributed? ive read 10-20k but nothing concrete. also, where does this funding come from (how is it distributed from what the league makes)? does the amount raise/lower if the league makes more money?

argh, so many questions!! sometimes i wish the league would just publish a proper list of all of this shit. not to silence conspiracy theories or anything like that, they'll happen anyways, but just because there's a lot of people out there who want to know what's going on with their team.

jazzy
02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
LA is going about being the "best team in North America" one way, by buying expensive well-known players. TFC is going another route by investing in the academy and hopefully developing the talent at home (with some lesser known and slightly cheaper DPs thrown in). Will be interesting
see which pays off in the long run.

100% behind our decision to grow through the development of the academy

Oldtimer
02-09-2012, 04:41 PM
im wondering though, how much money is distributed? ive read 10-20k but nothing concrete. also, where does this funding come from (how is it distributed from what the league makes)? does the amount raise/lower if the league makes more money?

argh, so many questions!! sometimes i wish the league would just publish a proper list of all of this shit. not to silence conspiracy theories or anything like that, they'll happen anyways, but just because there's a lot of people out there who want to know what's going on with their team.

The CCL is rumoured to be a half allocation ($155k). TFC should have received this cash, and it explains how we were able to fit in Plata under the cap.

LA is getting double that for winning the SS ($310k). While Garber publicly said they were going to reward CCL success, he never said that they were going to give a prize for the SS.

ensco
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
If Boyens is their starting CB, I don't care if the rest of them are the Spanish MNT, we have a chance.

brad
02-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Interesting article by Ives... and as I said before, roster compliance date for the cap hasn't arrived. Barrett would be the easy one to dump, as Ives suggests, and it would save them a lot of cap money.
I know Arena loves Mike Magee, but the jack-of-all-trades is making a lot of money for a guy in his position, and could be moved I think. But Arena probably wouldn't do that.. he's useful (even in goal ;)

I wonder how easy Barrett will be to dump on that salary.

brad
02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
The CCL is rumoured to be a half allocation ($155k). TFC should have received this cash, and it explains how we were able to fit in Plata under the cap.

LA is getting double that for winning the SS ($310k). While Garber publicly said they were going to reward CCL success, he never said that they were going to give a prize for the SS.

More to the point - I see nothing in the rules about getting allocation money for winning the SS. So if that is the case that LA got allocation money for it, it is suspicious.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

Allocation Money
Allocation money is a resource available to clubs in addition to their respective salary budgets.
A club may receive allocation money for:

failure to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs;
expansion status;

prizby
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
listening to extratimeradio where you got guys discussing the salary cap thing and they all say oh we don't know the rules with the cap etc... (in reference to omar gonzalez)

sorry but these guys work at the mls head f****ng office and they don't know the rules...are they really that stupid.

edit: they just said tfc had been selling tickets to the game fore 3 month and advertising beckham for the whole time

Dunkers
02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Nope.

Advancing in CONCAF and winning the SS are 2 totally different things.

Allocation money is primarly used to create parity. Hence teams that dont qualifty for the playoffs and expansion teams are given allocation to make it easier for next year.

When a team advances in CCL the tournement it can stretch over 2 season, so MLS has decided they want to give some relief to a team, in order to keep the core of players together, and having a better chance at advancing further and thus promoting the leauge on a global level.

Getting allocation for winning the SS is counter productive, it works against parity, and does not promote the leauge golbally...unless its the LA Gals doing the winning of course

Yohan
02-10-2012, 12:19 PM
NYRB signs 20 yr old DM Victor Palsson from Hibernian (SPL). He also played for Liverpool reserve squad

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2012/02/red-bulls-sign-midfielder-victor-palsson

TOBOR !
02-10-2012, 01:36 PM
100% behind our decision to grow through the development of the academy

Agreed. In 10 years LA will have splashed out far more on high-priced guns than we will have spent on the Academy. That thing will start paying for itself soon enough.

prizby
02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Nope.

as brad stated in the 2011 MLS rules

Allocation Money
Allocation money is a resource available to clubs in addition to their respective salary budgets.
A club may receive allocation money for:

failure to qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs;
expansion status;

that would seem to me that the mls is helping LA get around the cap if they made up a new rule

Roogsy
02-10-2012, 03:13 PM
You guys need tin-foil hats.

In February 2011, Major League Soccer announced that any of their teams that participate in the CONCACAF Champions League would receive an undisclosed amount of additional allocation money, mainly to add squad depth to their rosters. Indirectly, since the Shield winner earns a CCL berth, this marked the first time in league history that the Supporters' Shield winner would receive some type of financial incentive for winning the regular season title.

That took me 5 seconds to find.

Auzzy
02-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Ives seems to think that there were two separate allocations in this context for LA: one for the CCL 2nd-round qualification (which we knew about & expected; you need more depth for surviving the extra games); and one for winning the SS (which we knew nothing about until now).

So, does TFC get a 2nd similar allocation, for winning the NCC... perhaps less because it's less difficult than SS... but that's the way we qualify, and we can't qualify via SS...

The league so far has never announced that you get additional allocation for winning the SS (beyond the allocation for the 2nd round CCL qualification).

Transparency would be nice in any case.

Whoop
02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Didn't Roogsy just post that you get allocation for winning the SS?

Auzzy
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
In any case, next year I think they should introduce a new method for earning extra allocation. In cases where there is more than one MLS team in a city, the team with the highest point total in the season gets an extra allocation amount. You know, because of the extra competition (for fans, media time, advertising $ etc) when there's more than one team in a city. Why does the team with the higher point total get the extra allo, rather than the weaker team? Because.
:D

Auzzy
02-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Not directly. That quote says you earn allo for participating in the CCL -- therefore only indirectly for winning the SS, if that's the way you qualified for CCL. (Cdn teams apparently wouldn't get extra allo for winning the SS, since that's not the way they qualify for CCL.)

So, can any team now earn two allo amounts for the CCL -- one for qualifying; plus one for making it to the 2nd round? I don't know and I don't think that's clear.

mowe
02-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah I think that's what happened. They got allocation for making it to the quarterfinals and qualifying for the next season's CCL (by winning the shield). Also, Toronto would get allocation for winning the ACC. The Galaxy probably get an advance because they already qualified for 2012-13 (no that's not unfair, please don't complain).

I for one am looking forward to what the LA truthers are going to jump on next.

Oldtimer
02-10-2012, 04:18 PM

no, the quote doesn't say that:

Indirectly, since the Shield winner earns a CCL berth, this marked the first time in league history that the Supporters' Shield winner would receive some type of financial incentive for winning the regular season title.

The quote is only saying that you get money for a CCL berth. Let's put on the tin hats! :D

MartinUtd
02-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Did anyone ever clarify what was going on with the Juninho loan fee? I remember reading somewhere that there wasn't one, which is really odd. Maybe THATS what you get for winning the SS..lol

Broadview
02-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Did anyone ever clarify what was going on with the Juninho loan fee? I remember reading somewhere that there wasn't one, which is really odd. Maybe THATS what you get for winning the SS..lol

Can't remember where I read it but it seems he had some sort of falling out with his coach at Sao Paolo. Maybe he's a headcase or the coach is a hardass...the Galaxy reap the spoils.

ag futbol
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
^ Well that and realistically he's a good player for MLS standards but really nothing special compared to what SPFC would have on their books. If you believe wiki they've never so much as given him a single run-out.

Not unusual for Brasileiro clubs to blow up their rosters once in a while and the players they "dump" end up all over europe playing in top leagues. And these are guys who will play for good clubs but usually never get so much as a sniff at the nats. And the clubs can afford to do this because the pipeline of talent is absolutely insane, although these days the teams are doing better and better financially so that adds a new element.

Oldtimer
02-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Can't remember where I read it but it seems he had some sort of falling out with his coach at Sao Paolo. Maybe he's a headcase or the coach is a hardass...the Galaxy reap the spoils.

Wouldn't they normally try to sell the player?

Or was there some understanding all along that he would be loaned back for free for a year?

Detroit_TFC
02-10-2012, 10:07 PM
I think there was a coaching change. Emerson Leao returned to the club in October 2011, not as keen on Juninho.

brad
02-10-2012, 10:24 PM
You guys need tin-foil hats.

That took me 5 seconds to find.

And it took me 3 seconds to find the official roster rules that I posted. Excuse me for not looking at wikipedia like you did...

Whoop
02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
New England Revolution sign French striker Saër Sène from Bayern Munich's reserve team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa%C3%ABr_S%C3%A8ne

__wowza
02-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Advancing in CONCAF and winning the SS are 2 totally different things.

Allocation money is primarly used to create parity. Hence teams that dont qualifty for the playoffs and expansion teams are given allocation to make it easier for next year.

agreed, you can make the CCL other ways. there's four separate chances to get that sweet, sweet allocation money if you're one of the 16 'merican teams.

Getting allocation for winning the SS is counter productive, it works against parity, and does not promote the leauge golbally...unless its the LA Gals doing the winning of course

teams that don't qualify for the playoffs also have higher draft picks = parity restored.

they can use these picks as trade bate or to pull a high ranking prospect. it makes it tougher to pull yourself out of the mud not having 100K+ instantly available (or the gate money for a playoff game), but it's an investment in the future, along with allocation money, let's not forget that.

prizby
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
apparently robbie rogers was interested in going to portland if leeds didn't work out...good to see somebody has half a brain and knows when their teams city stinks

Dunkers
02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
agreed, you can make the CCL other ways. there's four separate chances to get that sweet, sweet allocation money if you're one of the 16 'merican teams.

teams that don't qualify for the playoffs also have higher draft picks = parity restored.

they can use these picks as trade bate or to pull a high ranking prospect. it makes it tougher to pull yourself out of the mud not having 100K+ instantly available (or the gate money for a playoff game), but it's an investment in the future, along with allocation money, let's not forget that.

Totally agree about the draft picks, and I guess I have seen the light regarding allocation for qualifying for the CCL (and thus for the SS), from qualification to the final round of the tournment actually transcends 3 season for a US club. (Only 2 for Canadain teams). So i understand why a club would need some financial help to keep the teams together over numerous off seasons.

Yohan
02-14-2012, 11:02 AM
32 yr old former US international RB Chris Albright signs with Philly.

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2012/02/union-sign-veteran-defender-albright

Whoop
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Montreal adds former Italian international Matteo Ferrari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Ferrari

TFC/Everton
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Montreal adds former Italian international Matteo Ferrari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Ferrari

Good pick up for them at a very important position.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
still got no strikers tho. could pull off alot of ties/losses because of this.
gotta say he looks like a decent signing tho

Yohan
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
http://blog.sfgate.com/soccer/2012/02/14/quakes-sign-simon-dawkins/

San Jose signs 24yr old midfielder Simon Dawkins from Tottenham. Dawkins played for SJ on loan last season.

sashavukelich
02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
^^^ He's on loan again this season.

drewski
02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Spurs' David Bentley eyes MLS loan

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1022247/tottenham-misfit-david-bentley-eyes-loan-to-mls?cc=5901

maninb
02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Spurs' David Bentley eyes MLS loan

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1022247/tottenham-misfit-david-bentley-eyes-loan-to-mls?cc=5901

If TFC could afford him, he's well worth going after...he's EXACTLY what TFc need...a right-side attacking midfielder, and dead ball specialist...

__wowza
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
^ i don't know about him in the league, especially if he's not match fit. one of the worst transfers the spurs picked up as far back as i can remember. he was supposed to be the next beckham.

Canary10
02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
We could use a set piece specialist (although we're hearing some reports that Aceval is very good). But we have a few guys like Plata and Lambe ready to take those wing positions. Bringing in a guy like this would just upset their development in imo. And for what? He would only be a short term sigining. I second what wowza said above. He's not even on Spurs' radar screen anymore. Not worth it.

Red I
02-15-2012, 11:42 AM
We could use a set piece specialist (although we're hearing some reports that Aceval is very good). But we have a few guys like Plata and Lambe ready to take those wing positions. Bringing in a guy like this would just upset their development in imo. And for what? He would only be a short term sigining. I second what wowza said above. He's not even on Spurs' radar screen anymore. Not worth it.

Of Charlie Adam's dead ball skills, Sir Alex Ferguson once famously quoted,
" ...we couldn't handle Charlie Adam, his corner kicks are worth £10m”

I think Bentley's dead ball skills are worth a couple hundred grand, IMO

I know what you mean about development, and I agree, but are we still talking about development after 6 years? Can't we just win a couple now, even if it's for half the season? With CCL (especially when it reloads for the next year of the competition) there will be games for the "youngers" to play eventually, and get that development with some gametime, but it might be nice to get some quality to help with the season, get in a good spot for the second half of the season.

Yohan
02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Reports say Whitecaps to sign Scottish international and former Celtic midfielder Barry Robson at the end of Championship season from Middlesborough

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+midfielder+Barry+Robson/6156180/story.html

Yohan
02-16-2012, 12:28 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/02/report-impact-deal-ching-to-dynamo.html

Brian Ching reportedly going back to Houston for a conditional draft pick

Auzzy
02-16-2012, 12:44 AM
^ Wow, that's funny. Houston will save a bundle as well if this is correct. Montreal still looking for some forwards I guess? BTW Saputo recently tweeted from his Europe trip "Good contacts make for great meetings, thanks to VV and GP we may have found our guy." -- the DP they are looking for I presume? I'll believe when it's finalized...

Oldtimer
02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Dallas Chronicle confirms a Ching "deal in principle."

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Dynamo-strike-deal-to-bring-back-Ching-3334900.php

Looks like the Poutines lost their gamble.

Yohan
02-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Dallas Chronicle confirms a Ching "deal in principle."

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Dynamo-strike-deal-to-bring-back-Ching-3334900.php

Looks like the Poutines lost their gamble.
I don't think Montreal 'lost'. It was a gamble for low risk, potential huge payoff

__wowza
02-16-2012, 10:18 AM
^ there was an issue i read about on the MLS website about ching leaving impact training due to "personal issues". apparently he stated in the same article that he was all business with montreal, but that was probably just to save face.

what's weird is that ching comes back AND takes a pay cut. so are we declaring the dynamo the winners on this whole ordeal?

another interesting note: montreal now have what, 2 forwards? this is going a month into the start of the season?

drewski
02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Reports say Whitecaps to sign Scottish international and former Celtic midfielder Barry Robson at the end of Championship season from Middlesborough

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+midfielder+Barry+Robson/6156180/story.html

done

(https://twitter.com/#%21/LukeWileman)@LukeWileman (https://twitter.com/#%21/LukeWileman) Whitecaps confirm signing of Barry Robson as a Designated Player. Will join club in July #MLS (https://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23MLS)

Oldtimer
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't think Montreal 'lost'. It was a gamble for low risk, potential huge payoff

It was a gamble and they lost, because they didn't win. You could say it was a justifiable gamble, a worthwhile gamble, but it is a gamble they did lose.

A 649 ticket is a cheap gamble for a potential huge payoff, but if your ticket isn't the winner, you have lost.

Detroit_TFC
02-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Robson must have been a bargain as DPs go. Doesn't seem like a marquee player.

Ching move official now. Conditional draft pick. That is like free, right? Must be a salary dump to bring in somebody who actually wants to be there.

Luanda
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Mtl trade Ching back to Houston for a 2013 draft pcik now confirmed.

rocker
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Houston "wins" in the sense that they got Ching back at an apparently reduced cost. The draft pick is for 2013, so it won't hurt them this season... and who knows with draft picks (it'll take years to assess the value of that pick after its made).

Montreal gets nothing for 2012. They also had to deal with this hassle for the past month or so with little to show for it and now they really have to ramp up looking for a forward. Remember some people were saying maybe Montreal would get Hainault. They didn't even get money for Ching in the end, which would have helped this year in bringing in another player.

All in all, it was a pretty big waste of time for both teams, for little gain. But in the end Houston got to protect who it wanted to protect and still got to keep Ching. Their gamble paid off, even though there was a lot of bullshit in between -- maybe teams will not take that chance again.

Canary10
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Montreal got a draft pick for a player they didn't want.

Houston got to cut salary for a player who wasn't worth what they were paying.

All in all I'd say it was a wash.

Yohan
02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
All in all, it was a pretty big waste of time for both teams, for little gain. But in the end Houston got to protect who it wanted to protect and still got to keep Ching. Their gamble paid off, even though there was a lot of bullshit in between -- maybe teams will not take that chance again.
This is key. Every GM will think twice before pulling this gamble that Chris Canetti and Dom Kinnear did.

Yohan
02-16-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/02/timbers-sign-midfielder-franck-songoo

Portland signs 24yr old former Portsmouth and Zaragoza winger Frank Songo'o, who apparently really impressed during his trial.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/02/16/former-us-striker-johnson-inks-new-deal-mls

Eddie Johnson back with MLS. Will go to allocation progress. I'd say Mtl likely to pick him up. Also makes sense why Ching was let go, to make room for EJ?

I hope MLS offered Johnson less money than last summer.

moralis
02-16-2012, 02:43 PM
MLS Allocation order: February 16, 2012:

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/allocation-ranking-feb-16-2012

Auzzy
02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Montreal got a draft pick for a player they didn't want.

Houston got to cut salary for a player who wasn't worth what they were paying.

All in all I'd say it was a wash.

Remember the "opportunity cost." Montreal also missed getting a different player through the expansion draft as a result. There were some decent options on there.

Yohan
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Colorado is apparently interested in Eddie Johnson, and is trying to trade up the allocation order to get him.

Colorado also signed 22 yr old Argentinian midfielder Martin Rivero from Rosario Central on loan

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2012/02/rapids-acquire-argentinian-playmaker-martin-rivero

rocker
02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Remember the "opportunity cost." Montreal also missed getting a different player through the expansion draft as a result. There were some decent options on there.

Yup, there were still other teams with players unprotected that were better than a 2013 conditional draft pick (on Houston or on another team, like TFC).

Basically they drafted #1 overall a 2013 conditional draft pick and then drafted 9 actual players after that. There's gotta be at least one available player that was better than a 2013 conditional draft pick. Shit, they coulda taken Adrian Cann from us. Yeah, he was injured, but the draft pick doesn't even exist for the 2012 season. Cann will be back in 2012.