PDA

View Full Version : pre-CCL friendlies

__wowza
10-20-2011, 08:54 AM
let's look at the facts with the CCL in four months. we'll be completely rested and incredibly well trained, but we'll be nowhere near match ready.
what're everyones thoughts on a few pre-CCL friendlies as a mix with a training camp overseas?

i know that most teams (that would be a draw in canada) at this point will be full on into their season and focusing on closing it out, but i worry that with the clausura wrapping up in april, we'll be at an advantage (playing teams who may be trying to win their respective leagues) but remain at a disadvantage over clubs who've been playing this entire time.

our pre-season will start incredibly early this year, so should we be looking at the following leagues?

- korean K league
- turkish super lug
- swedish allsvenskan
- possibly the j league

ManUtd4ever
10-20-2011, 09:00 AM
If possible, TFC management should try to organize at least 4-5 competitive friendlies in the month of February to prepare for the CCL quarter final, although I think we will still be at a disadvantage if we draw a Mexican club as an opponent, given the schedule.

Whoop
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
TFC management has said they won't be going overseas this winter.

The only tournament they will be going to will be the one in Orlando. No Charleston.

They want to stay close to home base this winter.

If they add any more games to their pre-season it will likely somewhere in NA I would imagine.

C.Ronaldo
10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
k or J league would be something to watch

SirBobSaget
10-20-2011, 09:29 AM
How about play some of the other MLS teams that qualified for quarters? They will be looking for same thing.

ACSertL
10-20-2011, 09:32 AM
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/giannis-zographos/swedish-football-club/128/AIK-Stockholm-icon.png

Whoop
10-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Only if they come to Canada.

Auzzy
10-20-2011, 09:35 AM
^ or Florida.

ACSertL
10-20-2011, 09:38 AM
:lol: I wasn't suggesting a trip to Stockholm. Their pitch would be in the same condition as ours would be.

Yohan
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
I think TFC played a friendly vs a Scandinavian club like two years ago in Florida?

ACSertL
10-20-2011, 09:40 AM
I think TFC played a friendly vs a Scandinavian club like two years ago in Florida?

Odense BK or Odd Grenland if memory serves correct.

Fort York Redcoat
10-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I want a bigger focus on preseason friendlies with foreign teams bu we can't be the ones traveling so we can be fresh for the Champions League.

Whoop
10-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I could see foreign teams coming over only if they were paid to.

Waggy
10-20-2011, 10:05 AM
How about play some of the other MLS teams that qualified for quarters? They will be looking for same thing.

Now that just makes sense. Tourny with us, Seattle, LAG and another club that feels like entering (mls or foreign)

Yohan
10-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Now that just makes sense. Tourny with us, Seattle, LAG and another club that feels like entering (mls or foreign)
There was a Disney tournament in Feb

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I believe, if I recall correctly, that Winter made some comments to the fact that he didn't like playing so many friendlies against MLS competition since it was dead easy for them to figure out what TFC was doing early on in the season.

Expect the number of friendlies we play against MLS competition to be severely reduced in the coming years, if not altogether removed.

__wowza
10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
There was a Disney tournament in Feb

yeah, i remember that, if memory serves right its not much for competition.

Yohan
10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
yeah, i remember that, if memory serves right its not much for competition.

I believe tfc played two mls teams and an usl team that tfc lost to.

__wowza
10-21-2011, 07:36 AM
I believe tfc played two mls teams and an usl team that tfc lost to.

unfortunately, thats what i meant.. they werent good, we were just that much worse at the start of the season :facepalm:

London
10-21-2011, 07:58 AM
every team is bieng forced to go to this disney shit.

its like 2 weeks if i understand correctly and consists of each team playing in 2 small tourneys against MLs teams during the 2 weeks

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-21-2011, 08:07 AM

i like it..

CAN/AM CUP SKYDOME!!!

Group A

Seattle
LA
REDBULLS

GROUP B

TFC
MONTREAL
VANCOUVER

1st Group A vs 2nd Group B

1st Group B vs 2nd Group A

losers play

winners play

(3rd Group A vs 3rd Group B)

:)

:)

djking2
10-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Apparently we are going back to Turkey

prizby
10-22-2011, 10:30 PM
^according to who?

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Odense BK or Odd Grenland if memory serves correct.

I remember it well, thought it was kind of neat at the time. Maybe there will be some Scandinavian team in Florida again this year. As long as the preseason isn't spent playing college teams, I don't think they really help develop the team all that much.

Empirical
10-23-2011, 01:09 AM
I believe, if I recall correctly, that Winter made some comments to the fact that he didn't like playing so many friendlies against MLS competition since it was dead easy for them to figure out what TFC was doing early on in the season.

Expect the number of friendlies we play against MLS competition to be severely reduced in the coming years, if not altogether removed.

Wow. Is our success really that shallow. A couple secrets and they've got us beat? I am sure they could a) see 'what TFC is doing' using game tapes versus other teams and b) we could save the 'flying v' or whatever for later and just get our fundamentals sound in these games.

james
10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
maybe play some teams in Europe that have there winter breaks in January and February like Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Sweden.

ACSertL
10-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I remember it well, thought it was kind of neat at the time. Maybe there will be some Scandinavian team in Florida again this year. As long as the preseason isn't spent playing college teams, I don't think they really help develop the team all that much.

That was the one I was leaning towards so I put it first :)

Wooster_TFC
10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Wow. Is our success really that shallow. A couple secrets and they've got us beat? I am sure they could a) see 'what TFC is doing' using game tapes versus other teams and b) we could save the 'flying v' or whatever for later and just get our fundamentals sound in these games.

Again, this is just off of what I remember.

I'm sure he doesn't mind playing a few games against his opponents, but really, you play 2 games against a team a year, and you probably want to avoid playing them 3 times in the pre-season. Playing against a team is entirely different than watching them on tape.

I may have misinterpreted his thoughts too, as the issue may have been the competitive nature of the competitions (charleston cup, disney tournament) than the competition itself.