PDA

View Full Version : MLS expansion draft for Montreal-Nov 23

Oldtimer
10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Head coach Jesse Marsch and the 2012 expansion Montreal Impact have signed two players to date: defender Nelson Rivas and midfielder Hassoun Camara. On Wednesday, they learned when they'll be able to get some teammates, as MLS announced the date and details of the 2012 MLS Expansion Draft.
The draft will take place on Wednesday, November 23, beginning at 2 pm ET.
As in past years, the expansion draft will last 10 rounds, meaning the Impact will select 10 players.
Current MLS clubs will be allowed to protect 11 players from their 2011 roster, though there are several categories of players who have special status. Generation adidas players and Homegrown Players on the team’s Off-budget Roster are automatically protected, without counting as one of the team’s 11 protected spots.
Designated Players do not have to be protected unless the player’s contract includes a no-trade clause.
Clubs must submit their protected roster to MLS on Monday, November 21.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/19/mls-releases-details-montreal-expansion-draft

According to Ryan Keay (U-Sector):

This should mean the following are automatically protected:
Morgan
Stinson
Henry
Cordon
Lindsay
MakubuyaWho would you protect amongst who's left?

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2011, 08:20 PM
prob our starting 11 minus any of our CBs (or some of our CBs) and a few odds n sods

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Koev, Johnson, Plata, DeGuzman, Frings, Ecks, Cann, Williams

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2011, 08:23 PM
i like Dunfield but hes expendable and has a higher cost next year (also Bouchiba should be back).
Im prob missing a player or two.

ArmenJBX
10-19-2011, 08:34 PM
1. Stefan Frei
2. Richard Eckersley
3. Julian de Guzman
4. Torsten Frings
5. Eric Avila
6. Ryan Johnson
7. Peri Marosevic
8. Joao Plata
9. Danny Koevermans
10. Nick Soolsma
11. Terry Dunfield

Montreal doesn't need a goalkeeper so Milos should be okay.

I envision Nathan Sturgis being the big target, he's got trade value of some kind.

London
10-19-2011, 08:35 PM
do we protect 1 keeper or 2 ???

AlanO
10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Draft isn't until late November, so hopefully Mariner will know by then if he can buy Plata and/or Ecks. If they can be acquired, I'd protect

Frings
Koevermans
Johnson
Avila
Frei
Kocic
Soolsma
De Guzman
Eckersley
Plata
Harden (his play the last ~2 months earns him a spot on this list)

If Ecks and Plata leave, I’d replace them with Williams and Marosevic.

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
If I have interpreted the exemptions correctly, assuming our DP contracts do not include no trade clauses, I'd go with the following.

If our DPs have to be protected, replace Harden, Iro, and Sturgis with JDG, Frings, and Koevs on the protected list.

Protected:

Kocic
Eckersley
Harden
Cann
Williams
Iro
Sturgis
Dunfield
Plata
Soolsma
Johnson

Desginated Players:

DeGuzman
Frings
Koevermans

Generation Adidas:

Frei
Avila
Marosevic

Homegrown:

Morgan
Stinson
Henry
Cordon
Lindsay
Makubuya

Yohan
10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
no way Frei is still GA. avila probably isn't either

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2011, 08:55 PM
no way Frei is still GA. avila probably isn't either

I thought GA was in effect for the first 4 years of a player's career?

Avila is 2008, Frei and Marosevic are 2009.

Yohan
10-19-2011, 09:05 PM
not necessarily. players can graduate from GA pending on how many games they get played. though this is subjective

spe18
10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
If Ecks and Plata leave, I’d replace them with Williams and Marosevic.

Is Plata under contract?

rocker
10-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Koev, Johnson, Plata, DeGuzman, Frings, Ecks, Cann, Williams

Would Montreal really take Cann or Williams though? Cann is coming off a major injury and he's not young. Williams is young but only played 8 games and then was injured too.

I wouldn't protect either, since I doubt they'd be in Montreal's top ten of the unprotected.

With 2 more teams in the league now, the odds really drop of having anyone selected. 8 teams won't lose anybody at all.

Yohan
10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
I think Cann might get poached due to Canadian status. Because Mtl has no Canadian on contract right now, and Canadian talent pool is pretty thin, even with new squad regulations

Same with Dunfield

and I consider both to be easily replaceable

KGH
10-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I thought with the new rules cdn teams didn't need to have cdn players.

KGH
10-19-2011, 09:41 PM
And why protect JDG? We didn't protect him last year and if they want him for one season at that salary by all means take him.

Yohan
10-19-2011, 09:55 PM
I thought with the new rules cdn teams didn't need to have cdn players.
require min 3 cdn players

West220Side
10-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Since Eckersley/Plata are on loan... Do we even need to protect them, that doesn't sound right... Anybody know?

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Would Montreal really take Cann or Williams though? Cann is coming off a major injury and he's not young. Williams is young but only played 8 games and then was injured too.

I wouldn't protect either, since I doubt they'd be in Montreal's top ten of the unprotected.

With 2 more teams in the league now, the odds really drop of having anyone selected. 8 teams won't lose anybody at all.

good argument, question is whether Winter sees enough promise and whether hes willing to give them the chance (i think your right btw)

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Since Eckersley/Plata are on loan... Do we even need to protect them, that doesn't sound right... Anybody know?

no clue but i suspect their rights would be whats up for grabs.

As for protecting sturgis, outside of being trade fodder i dont think that dudell be around next year at all, clearly not in the plans, dont know why we'd keep him from being taken

[NBF]
10-19-2011, 10:40 PM
I think its safe to say that we will protect Stefan Frei, even though he has been disenchanted with the team's play in the last few games, but the players I think we will lose which will impact the team are :

1. Kocic
2. Martina
3. DeGuzman
4. Borman
5. Yourassowsky
6. Iro
7. Williams
8. Cann
9. Zaravise
10. Sturgis
11. Viator

TFCwestcan
10-19-2011, 10:46 PM
;1393791']I think its safe to say that we will protect Stefan Frei, even though he has been disenchanted with the team's play in the last few games, but the players I think we will lose which will impact the team are :

1. Kocic
2. Martina
3. DeGuzman
4. Borman
5. Yourassowsky
6. Iro
7. Williams
8. Cann
9. Zaravise
10. Sturgis
11. Viator

What do you mean he's been disenchanted with the teams play?

Alonso
10-19-2011, 11:35 PM
;1393791']I think its safe to say that we will protect Stefan Frei, even though he has been disenchanted with the team's play in the last few games, but the players I think we will lose which will impact the team are :

1. Kocic
2. Martina
3. DeGuzman
4. Borman
5. Yourassowsky
6. Iro
7. Williams
8. Cann
9. Zaravise
10. Sturgis
11. Viator

Are you saying we are going to lose all those players in the draft?

Because that's how this kind of reads.

prizby
10-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Montreal doesn't need a goalkeeper so Milos should be okay.

umm they have 0 mls experienced goalies on their roster...douche bag gaudette doesn't count

1. Frei
2. Kocic
3. Frings
4. Koevermans
5. de Guzman
6. Avila
7. Johnson
8. Plata
9. Eckersley
10. Soolsma
11. Cann

interesting no rules on foreign players protection this time round

could see TFC trading someone for supplemental round pick with montreal hand shaking that they won't pick any unprotected player

Auzzy
10-20-2011, 01:00 AM
umm they have 0 mls experienced goalies on their roster...douche bag gaudette doesn't count

1. Frei
2. Kocic
3. Frings
4. Koevermans
5. de Guzman
6. Avila
7. Johnson
8. Plata
9. Eckersley
10. Soolsma
11. Cann

could see TFC trading someone for supplemental round pick with montreal hand shaking that they won't pick any unprotected player

^ I pretty much agree with that list of players to protect. Except I would leave Cann off. He's 31, relatively expensive at $124k, and nobody knows how he will come back off his knee injury & surgery. I don't think Montreal would take him as a result, so no need to protect. Even if they do, I don't think it would be the end of the world. Although Cann would have been much better as CB than what we had this season, I'm not convinced how well he would do in Winter's system, w/o the extra protection that Preki-ball gave him last year. We need at least 1 or 2 good new CBs anyway; Williams, Harden, and Davies should be OK as 2nd or backup CBs if Mtl were really to grab Cann.

Sacrilegious, I know, but I would rather put Harden on that list. He's 27 & cheaper at $65k. Much more likely to be picked up, at least as a bench player or a 2nd CB -- especially with his improved play as of late. At the least, he could be valuable for TFC in a trade.

Or Williams. He's only 25, making only $50k, and might get picked up before Cann, even though Williams is an international & also coming back off knee surgery.

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
GA/HG

Marosevic (GA)
Morgan
Stinson
Henry
Cordon
Lindsay
Makubuya

Locks

1. Frings
2. Koevermans
3. DeGuzman
4. Johnson
5. Avila

Loanees

If we get the loans sorted before the draft and intend to sign them, then move them to the lock list.

6. Eckersley
7. Plata

Maybes

- Soolsma (is he worth the INT spot?)
- Iro (is he our solution at CB?)
- Cann (solution at CB? Contract issues sorted? Will he be the same player after knee surgery?)
- Williams (solution at CB? Will he be the same player after knee surgery?)
- Dunfield (how much is he actually getting paid next year? Does Winter really rate him?)
- Harden (solution at CB?)
- Davies (solution at CB? Does Winter really rate him?)

Keepers

Really, IMO, you protect both or neither of the keepers. Both can play at this level. Ideally, you'd move one of the two before the draft in order to only have to protect one of them.

Frei
Kocic

Definitely Unprotected

Borman
Bouchiba
Gold
Griffit
Martina
Omphroy
Sturgis
Viator
Yourassowsky
Zavarise

My personal protected list:

1. Frings
2. Koevermans
3. DeGuzman
4. Johnson
5. Avila
6. Plata
7. Eckersley
8. Soolsma
9. Kocic
10. Frei
11. Dunfield

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 09:15 AM

1. Frei
2. Kocic
3. Frings
4. Koevermans
5. de Guzman
6. Avila
7. Johnson
8. Plata
9. Eckersley
10. Soolsma
11. Cann

Should have read this one better. We agree wholeheartedly on the protected list, and both had a toss up on the 11th person to be protected.

We've got a tonne of CBs, so I picked Dunfield to be protected over any of the relatively cheap and 2nd man in the top pairing CBs we have (Cann, Williams, Iro, Harden). If you include the youngers (Davies, Henry), and assume we are targetting a number one CB in the off-season, then who really cares if one of those interchangeable (IMO) parts gets picked up.

And I wouldn't worry about the Canadian content changing in the future, if it does, we'll have a solid academy to draw upon for that content (and in fact, already have a fair amount of Canadians).

rocker
10-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I think Cann might get poached due to Canadian status. Because Mtl has no Canadian on contract right now, and Canadian talent pool is pretty thin, even with new squad regulations

Same with Dunfield

and I consider both to be easily replaceable

Yes... and if either Cann or Dunfield is poached, we still get to keep the other guy, since we can only lose one player.

And if the player we lose is Cann or Dunfield, we've preserved the whole rest of the roster. I can think of other guys on the roster I'd hate to lose more than Cann or Dunfield (even though I like Cann and Dunfield).

So we're fine. The draft will hardly effect TFC at all.

CoachGT
10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
I thought GA was in effect for the first 4 years of a player's career?

Avila is 2008, Frei and Marosevic are 2009.

Frei is no longer GA - he graduated this year. He's got another two years left on his deal with TFC as far as I know.

I believe JDG is out of contract at the end of this season.

Auzzy
10-20-2011, 11:14 AM
^ JDG is out of contract after the 2012 season. That was confirmed in the Town Hall.

MarkoftheDrink
10-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Frei
Kocic
Eckersley
JDG
Frings
Avila
Johnson
Koef
Plata

Borderline:
Iro - He really started to turn it around at the end of the season. He seemed unfit when he got here (maybe due to lack of playing time in CBUS?) and took awhile to get adjusted to the system. We need a left footed CB and someone good in the air. Ideally he's a backup but we're short on left footed CB's.

Cann - Coming off of knee surgery, but is Canadian and has size. After looking like the real "Bomb Scare" early in the season, he looked better before he got hurt.

Dicoy - Younger than Cann has decent size, but he is an international and plays for Jamaica so we'll lose him for a few games in the season. Kinda the same as Cann in that he didn't look great to start and looked better before getting injured.

Harden - As everyone knows after struggling, made great strides, but is he a sub or a starter? Will he keep improving or will he revert to his old self?

Soolsma - International, not physically gifted, but one of the most technical. Holds the ball up well and can create space to get off a cross. We need someone like him with Koef and Johnson up top. Plata plays that role well but Soolsma was a decent replacement in his absence.

Personally I'm leaning towards Iro and Dicoy because our lack of depth in the back. If we hold on to them, losing Cann wouldn't be too bad (assuming our Home Grown count towards the 3 Canadian roster spots). I think it would be easier to replace Soolsma or Harden than either of them.