PDA

View Full Version : Frings, Kovermans and Winter at Leafs Jets Game

smtavare
10-19-2011, 07:12 PM
They are sitting right behind the Leaf bench, right behind Wilson. (No joke, For Real - I saw them on TV -TSN)

Winter is whispering to Wilson between the Plexi-Glass on how to become a winner, while Wilson takes notes! LOL!:scarf:

I also think Winter was trying to trade Andy Iro for Luke Schenn, but Wilson is only offering Komisarek...I don't really know, I was trying to read his lips!

Redpunkfiddle
10-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I wish I was drinking now too.

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Awesome.

A Stick
10-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey Folks;

A Stick
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Where at the game tonight with their best new friend Tom Anselmi. I wonder what they thought of probably seeing their first hockey game?

Globetrotter
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
I was at the game and they didn't get very many applauds. It wasn't Frings first game, he was there earlier this year.

TFC Bhoy
10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Where at the game tonight with their best new friend Tom Anselmi. I wonder what they thought of probably seeing their first hockey game?
probably wasn't Frings first. While they definitely aren't a powerhouse at all, Germans still really do like their hockey. they have their own league there. So wouldn't surprise me if he had seen one, but I dont think they have that much hockey in holland lol

Globetrotter
10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
There was an article in the paper talking about Frings last Leaf game this season, he has been there. Paid for his own seat too.

ricciboy
10-20-2011, 10:05 AM
One of the people who worked at the ACC let me in the platinum section and I got a picture with them

Globetrotter
10-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I think that same article stated how Frings wanted to come to a place like this so that when he goes out in public it's not an invitation for a photo op.

drewski
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
probably wasn't Frings first. While they definitely aren't a powerhouse at all, Germans still really do like their hockey. they have their own league there. So wouldn't surprise me if he had seen one, but I dont think they have that much hockey in holland lol

having a league doesn't mean much. most countries have a league, including the Div 3 countries. Bulgaria has a league (many teams part of sports club that also have soccer teams, like CSKA & Levski) but my wife never heard anything hockey related when she grew up there.

Shakes McQueen
10-20-2011, 11:37 AM
having a league doesn't mean much. most countries have a league, including the Div 3 countries. Bulgaria has a league (many teams part of sports club that also have soccer teams, like CSKA & Levski) but my wife never heard anything hockey related when she grew up there.

Germany exports actual NHL players from time to time, though, and actually has a pretty good national team, so I assume they must take their hockey somewhat seriously.

- Scott

BFin
10-20-2011, 11:51 AM

You mean outside of the World Championships, World Juniors, Canada Cups, European Championships, World Cup of Hockey and Olympics that their National Team has been a part of and had some success in?

ginkster88
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Lol... looking at German-born NHLers...

I wonder if Germans feel the same way about Heatley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dany_Heatley#Early_life)as some Canadians do Hargreaves.

:D

Blizzard
10-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Germany exports actual NHL players from time to time, though, and actually has a pretty good national team, so I assume they must take their hockey somewhat seriously.

- Scott

Agreed. They even made it to the Canada Cup once by beating out Czechzslovakia.

jaahuuu
10-20-2011, 12:23 PM
they have their own league there.
That doesn't count for much, Mexico, Israel, Qatar, and North Korea have their own leagues as well.

There used to be a league in Hong Kong (it may still exist) that played all league games at a single L-shaped arena.

jabbronies
10-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Saw Danny K today. Spoke to him for a bit, nothing deep - just congrats on the win and good luck with the rest of the year. Was very friendly guy.

Auzzy
10-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I think that same article stated how Frings wanted to come to a place like this so that when he goes out in public it's not an invitation for a photo op.

Well, I think it's one thing if it happens in the platinums at the ACC, behind the Leafs bench, probably on free tickets. I highly doubt he went there expecting privacy.

The guy wants to be able to go shopping etc. w/o being harassed. If he's walking down the street and somebody says "Hey Torsten nice game on the weekend!" I'm sure he can deal with that as well though. It's a good idea to treat all they guys respectfully though, even if you don't always feel like that.

drewski
10-20-2011, 01:41 PM

- Scott

You mean outside of the World Championships, World Juniors, Canada Cups, European Championships, World Cup of Hockey and Olympics that their National Team has been a part of and had some success in?

all valid points, which are separate from the point I made that having a league, in and of itself, doesn't prove a nation loves hockey. ;)

rocker
10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
I saw Avila and Iro walk into Real Sports to watch the NFL game on a Sunday a few weeks back when I was sitting at the entrance-side bar. The waitress took them to their reserved table. I didn't say anything though. I feel weird bugging these guys in public.

TFCRegina
10-20-2011, 02:00 PM

Hockey Bundesliga pays higher than MLS pays their soccer players. And there's loads of benefits. My cousin, sadly, was excluded because he couldn't prove his German heritage (used to be max 3 international players - if you proved german heritage, you were counted as a german), but was sought after for a while (has a german last name). He played in the WHL for four years.

They pay in the hundreds of thousands, give free places to stay and cars for the duration of time at a club. German hockey league is not a bad place to be and quite a few ex-NHLers and mid-level CHL players end up there.

sully
10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
While they definitely aren't a powerhouse at all, Germans still really do like their hockey. they have their own league there.

When I was in Germany a few years ago I went to see the Cologne hockey team. The arena is about the same size as the ACC, but there they actually have terraces behind the goals and the crowd had flags and banners - like a football game..

habstfc
10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Hockey Bundesliga pays higher than MLS pays their soccer players. And there's loads of benefits. My cousin, sadly, was excluded because he couldn't prove his German heritage (used to be max 3 international players - if you proved german heritage, you were counted as a german), but was sought after for a while (has a german last name). He played in the WHL for four years.

They pay in the hundreds of thousands, give free places to stay and cars for the duration of time at a club. German hockey league is not a bad place to be and quite a few ex-NHLers and mid-level CHL players end up there.

I had a friend when I was growing up in barrie in the 80's whose older brother played in the german league. It's true as you say but the money was less as I recall but that was in the 80's so you could be right. If I recall he said they paid about 80,000 dollars back then and had free apartment and a car that was loaned to them for free as long as he played there. They actually have a very good league there so I'm sure frings has seen the odd game there.

Wingback6
10-22-2011, 10:36 AM
They are sitting right behind the Leaf bench, right behind Wilson. (No joke, For Real - I saw them on TV -TSN)

Winter is whispering to Wilson between the Plexi-Glass on how to become a winner, while Wilson takes notes! LOL!:scarf:

I also think Winter was trying to trade Andy Iro for Luke Schenn, but Wilson is only offering Komisarek...I don't really know, I was trying to read his lips!

Man.. I was watching the game (Being a Jets fan ;) but didn't notice this... dang... would have made my day!!!

Keegan
10-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Germans do like hockey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwBbzaXzfhs

Empirical
10-23-2011, 01:12 AM

The German league is MUCH better than the Bulgarian league. Icebear Berlin and a few others could beat the Panthers or Sens on a good day. Their league is about as good as the AHL.