PDA

View Full Version : Which Team Would You Like To See TFC Play

gracos
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Which team would you like TFC to play in the quartefinals, and if different who do you think would give the best odds of advancing to the next round

prizby
10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
how about we wait and see whether we are first or 2nd in the group

Oldtimer
10-19-2011, 10:54 AM
What, no poll? :rolleyes:

BuSaPuNk
10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
LOL missing the poll. hehehe

I think were for sure finishing the group in second. I can't see Pumas losing to Tauro even if they play there B squad they should still win. Anything else to me would be a surprise.

Auzzy
10-19-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm hoping for some team with good weather. Road trip in March? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MartinUtd
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
LOL missing the poll. hehehe

I think were for sure finishing the group in second. I can't see Pumas losing to Tauro even if they play there B squad they should still win. Anything else to me would be a surprise.

A draw puts us in first, although I don't see that happening either.

nascarguy
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm hoping for some team with good weather. Road trip in March? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:iagree:

BuSaPuNk
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Yeah I know a draw would keep us in first but honestly now that Pumas woke up for this tourney I don't see them taking Tauro lightly. If Pumas does win here are the teams that we could play.

Morelia
LA Galaxy
Colorado Rapids
Santos Laguna
Monterry
Seattle Sounders

Honestly I don't want to play any any MLS club would like to take advantage of our home field in March. However we could have a better chance playing LA than another team in our weather. But I would rather stay away from them. Hoping for Santos Laguna or Monterry.

NBS
10-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah I know a draw would keep us in first but honestly now that Pumas woke up for this tourney I don't see them taking Tauro lightly. If Pumas does win here are the teams that we could play.

Morelia
LA Galaxy
Colorado Rapids
Santos Laguna
Monterry
Seattle Sounders

Honestly I don't want to play any any MLS club would like to take advantage of our home field in March. However we could have a better chance playing LA than another team in our weather. But I would rather stay away from them. Hoping for Santos Laguna or Monterry.

I don't think there is a cold weather advantage considering TFC rarely play in cold weather. It will almost certainly be a Mexican club.

Canary10
10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd be happy playing Colorado.....

tfcleeds
10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I'd be happy playing Colorado.....

Of the teams listed they certainly appear to be the "easiest", which isn't saying much. All tough teams from here on in.

London
10-19-2011, 11:44 AM
A draw puts us in first, although I don't see that happening either.

it already happened once this season,

tauro is not as bad as people say, there record vs dallas and pumas is 1-0-2

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 11:50 AM
I think its a given that Pumas will beat Tauro, so we'll be in the second half.

Group winners:
LA Galaxy / Alajuelense
Santos Laguna
Monterrey

Of those teams, LA Galaxy is the least dangerous (older team, in the league preseason, will be harder on their legs than our team's younger guys). Besides, we can get more people to LA than the other places.

EDIT: We will not face Pumas in the next round.

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Also, dont forget that all the other teams will be at the peak of their season, so they'll be match fit (but hopefully have to contend with injuries).

Still, our best hope of advancing is to play LA and hope Seattle or Colorado can beat a contender for the semis.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't care if it's more difficult. I want to see teams outside MLS, please.

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
^ I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather see us getting closer to the Final rather than non-traditional opponents.

Flashman
10-19-2011, 12:57 PM
I would rather not see us play an MLS team; the whole point of the competition is to play the rest of the world (or our corner of it at this point in the competition).

But that said, there is one team TFC has done better against than anyone else in MLS, and that is Colorado. Our record against them over 5 years is 6 wins, 3 losses and 1 tie (outscoring them 13 to 10).

Surprisingly, we have also done decently well against LA Galaxy (2w-3L-5t, 9 to 10). Seattle, not so much (1w-4L-1t, 4 to 9).

I would rather see us play one of the Mexican teams:canada:

Chevy
10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Can we:

1) get Pumas again in the QF; and

2) get a MLS team? I believe that in Euro Champions League they keep clubs away from others from the same nation.

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Can we:

2) get a MLS team? I believe that in Euro Champions League they keep clubs away from others from the same nation.

Not in CCL. Last year's Quarterfinals had 4 Mexican teams playing one another and 2 American teams playing each other

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_CONCACAF_Champions_League_Champion ship_Round#Quarterfinals

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Also, last year's draw had this stipulation (same link as posted above):

...The only restriction being that they could not face the same team that it played in the Group Stage (and thus they may face a team from the same association).So therefore no Pumas next round. Only LA Galaxy / Alajuelense, Santos Laguna or Monterrey. Personally, I'd like to get LA Galaxy.

CoachGT
10-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Personally, I'd like to get LA Galaxy.

Can't you just see Becks in TO in March? From Golden Balls to Blue Balls!

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Also, some insight about the clubs.

LA Galaxy - 1st in MLS, 19-4-10, 7 points above second place Seattle
Santos Laguna - 1st in current Mexican league Apertura, 7-2-3, 1 point above second place Cruz Azul with a game in hand
Monterrey - 8th in Apertura, 5-2-6 (3 points lower than Pumas, who are 7th)
Alajuelense - 1st in Costa Rican Campeonato de Invierno, 9-2-3, 2 points above second place Herediano (championship decided by 4 team tournament in December)

Based on that alone, I'm thinking we should take our chances with the 8th placed team.

Here's hoping for Monterrey....

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Can't you just see Becks in TO in March? From Golden Balls to Blue Balls!

He's going to give new meaning to the phrase "frosty tips" ;)

Globetrotter
10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Why is everyone talking about LA??? What am I missing here?? According to the official site:

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Schedule/0,,12856,00.html

If LA lose or tie, they're out. I don't care how poor the opponent might be... 0-0 is not out of the question.

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Why is everyone talking about LA??? What am I missing here?? According to the official site:

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Schedule/0,,12856,00.html

If LA lose or tie, they're out. I don't care how poor the opponent might be... 0-0 is not out of the question.

This is why...

On the next match day (October 20), if Los Angeles defeats Motagua, Los Angeles will advance as group winners and Morelia as runners-up. Otherwise, Alajuelense will qualify as group winners, and Morelia as runners-up.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_CONCACAF_Champions_League_Group_St age#Group_A

Motagua is 0-0-5 with -11 goal differential and they lost 2-0 to Galaxy in LA.

Globetrotter
10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Motagua is 0-0-5 with -11 goal differential and they lost 2-0 to Galaxy in LA.

So?

I repeat...

Globetrotter
10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Toronto had NEVER WON IN DALLAS. Toronto had not beaten Dallas this year. Toronto had 1 win on the road all year.

Guess what? Toronto won in Dallas.

Is LA in today? No.

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Really? 0 points in 5 matches, already eliminated, 2 goals for, 13 goals against, playing the best team in the second strongest league in CONCACAF and you still don't know what you're missing here?

LA has 1.55 odds of winning, which is pretty good in soccer (for reference, Real Madrid and Man United were 1.2 favourites against Lyon and Oteul Galati respectively).
http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/2424963/CD%2dMotagua%2dv%2dLA%2dGalaxy.html

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 01:40 PM
lollll I get it, because one event happened, therefore some unrelated yet slightly comparable event will surely happen as well. your logic is faultless.

there's also a chance that LA Galaxy is unable to find the stadium and CONCACAF awards Motagua a default 3-0 win. Hell, there's also a chance that Landon Donovan will be struck by lightening (apparently 280,000 / 1).

Torontotonto
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Doesn't matter to me who we play.
Is the next stage home and away games ?

NBS
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Really? 0 points in 5 matches, already eliminated, 2 goals for, 13 goals against, playing the best team in the second strongest league in CONCACAF and you still don't know what you're missing here?

LA has 1.55 odds of winning, which is pretty good in soccer (for reference, Real Madrid and Man United were 1.2 favourites against Lyon and Oteul Galati respectively).
http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/2424963/CD%2dMotagua%2dv%2dLA%2dGalaxy.html

A draw, especially on the road in Central America, is NEVER out of the question. Especially with the type of refereeing you might get. Motagua have some skilled players, we saw that first hand last year. I wouldn't count on anything but an LA victory, but a foregone conclusion it is not. Especially as Donovan might not play.

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
^ While I can't argue against with your other points, but about refereeing, I'm sure the powers that be want Beckham and Donovan playing deep into the CCL.

I would be very surprised if LA Galaxy didn't win by 2 or more.

mowe
10-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Toronto had NEVER WON IN DALLAS. Toronto had not beaten Dallas this year. Toronto had 1 win on the road all year.

Guess what? Toronto won in Dallas.

Is LA in today? No.

Wow, some sound logic there.

Motagua is the team Amada Guevara plays for, the same team TFC beat in the preliminary round last year. They're one of the weaker teams in the CCL, even with a second string roster LA should have no problem beating them. Not a sure thing, you're right, but it's likely.

Redpunkfiddle
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Galaxy defeats Motagua and advances. I had hoped they would be knocked out and have Alajuelense as an opponent but now it is either:

LA Galaxy
Monterrey
Santos Laguna

Mexican opposition is tougher but more interesting. I suppose Beckham (will he still be in LA next year?) would get the crowd out.

Santos would offer comparisons to the Impact matchup in the first year of CCL. Not one of the better supported Mexican teams outside of their home. Torreon is an unattractive city for the away visit.

Monterrey is a tough side that is very committed to CCL. Big crowds for all the matches. Its much more dynamic city for a trip.

PopePouri
10-20-2011, 11:24 PM
If we get the Galaxy, I won't be surprised if MLSE decides to play at the Dome. Not just because of the weather but also for Becks and co.

NBS
10-20-2011, 11:28 PM
If we get the Galaxy, I won't be surprised if MLSE decides to play at the Dome. Not just because of the weather but also for Becks and co.

Isn't Becks done with the contract?

They'll have a new and probably better DP.

Redpunkfiddle
10-20-2011, 11:32 PM
The quarterfinal "draw" was on November 1st last year.

We'll see what CONCACAF cooks up this year! I miss the live draws with awkward moments (that also, you know, prove that is was actually random)

DichioTFC
10-20-2011, 11:39 PM
^ Based on that alone, this is what I'm predicting for the next round.

LA Galaxy v. Seattle
Santos Laguna v. Morelia
Pumas v. Isidro Metapan
Monterrey v. TFC

It will be interesting to see which bracket we're in as well. If we can avoid Pumas and S.Laguna in our half, we'll have a great chance of advancing IMO.

NBS
10-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Morelia won the group by everything I'm reading.

No LA Galaxy.

Redpunkfiddle
10-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Morelia won the group by everything I'm reading.

No LA Galaxy.

Its wrong. Galaxy is on top based on the three way tie.

Edit: Someone did the tiebreaker table on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_CONCACAF_Champions_League_Group_St age#Groups

NBS
10-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Its wrong. Galaxy is on top based on the three way tie.

That's what I thought too based on how I understood the tie-breaker, but the standings and articles are saying the same thing.

Edit: Now I'm seeing another report stating Galaxy have won the group. Just sloppy reporting and record keeping on the part of the MLS website (shameful), the CCL website (more shameful) and even good old Wikipedia.

MartinUtd
10-21-2011, 07:57 AM
lol.. so Concacaf's website got it wrong? And I thought it was just the design that was flawed.

prizby
10-21-2011, 08:11 AM
1. LA Galaxy (we haven't lost to them since 2009; based on this year's home and away we'd have advanced on away goals)
2. Santos Laguna (supposing montreal nearly beat them in 08, i guess we could try)
3. Monterrey (last years champion)

NBS
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
1. LA Galaxy (we haven't lost to them since 2009; based on this year's home and away we'd have advanced on away goals)
2. Santos Laguna (supposing montreal nearly beat them in 08, i guess we could try)

To hell with it. Bring on Monterrey! We'll take out the defending champions ourselves ;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-21-2011, 03:19 PM
If we were to sign another dp or any other player in the off season...are they eligable for quarter finals...my first thought would be no??

ManUtd4ever
10-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Definitely not Monterrey.

LA would be MLSE's dream come true for marketing purposes, and their club would be in a similar position in terms of conditioning.

Santos Laguna is likely our best bet to advance.

NBS
10-21-2011, 06:44 PM
If we were to sign another dp or any other player in the off season...are they eligable for quarter finals...my first thought would be no??

A new list is submitted heading into the playoff rounds. We could have a completely new team and they would all be eligible.

The only exception might be Avila. He may remained cup-tied. There is some confusion about this but Duane Rollins had an article on CSN that had the rules of the competition, it sounded like Avila would continue to be a no-go. However any other changes would be good to go assuming they to aren't cup-tied.

A.J
10-21-2011, 06:51 PM
A new list is submitted heading into the playoff rounds. We could have a completely new team and they would all be eligible.

The only exception might be Avila. He may remained cup-tied. There is some confusion about this but Duane Rollins had an article on CSN that had the rules of the competition, it sounded like Avila would continue to be a no-go. However any other changes would be good to go assuming they to aren't cup-tied.

No, Avila can play. He said so himself on Twitter

NBS
10-21-2011, 07:17 PM
No, Avila can play. He said so himself on Twitter

I know he did, but he may have been given bad info. There remains no confirmation on this, but the rules make it look like he still can't play:

Per Duane Rollins via CSN

Rule 5.4
"Once having been properly inscribed on a Roster List for one Team, in any Phase, a player may not be inscribed on the Roster List for any other Team in the CCL in the same season of competition, in any Phase."

nascarguy
10-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Isn't Becks done with the contract?

They'll have a new and probably better DP.
I heard LA will him paid 10millon for his new contract

rocker
10-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Paul Beirne tweeted that they are asking CONCACAF for clarification on Avila's status. That was a day or two ago. Still waiting for word.

DichioTFC
10-21-2011, 09:14 PM

LA would be MLSE's dream come true for marketing purposes, and their club would be in a similar position in terms of conditioning.

The team that is first in Mexican league play right now, who breezed through group stage... they're our best bet to advance??

werewolf
10-21-2011, 09:23 PM

They still have Carlos Quintero. I would prefer not them.

LyaotPVUE9s

NBS
10-21-2011, 10:08 PM
They still have Carlos Quintero. I would prefer not them.

LyaotPVUE9s

Now that is what you call a choke job of the worst kind. I remember watching it live. WOW! Tough to imagine having your heart ripped out any worse than that. I almost....ALMOST....felt bad for them.

Darlofletch
10-21-2011, 10:15 PM

bloody hell, how epic would that have been if gordon's last minute goal had been to win a quarter final?

FIAF
10-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Can we:

Canada & USA aren't the same nation :facepalm:

FIAF
10-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I'd like to face the Gaylaxy.

MLSE is likely to raise admission to Golden balls wages, though :facepalm:

GuelphStorm2007
10-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I like to play the Galaxy also, since TFC's inception they seem to have a decent record against them, But no matter who we face it is going to be very diffilcult.