PDA

View Full Version : MLSE: Do what the Impact did

Oldtimer
10-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Use the Rogers Centre for the next CCL match. Contact youth soccer clubs. Sell really cheap tickets to them. Pack the joint. The buzz you'd create in the media from having 60k fans for a MLS club is worth millions to you. In Montreal it got them a franchise. In your case it would go a long way to restoring the buzz that disappeared 2 years ago. It's really worth what it would cost you. Just ask Joey.

James Oliphant
10-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Fuck no....to the Rogers Centre, anyway.

Let's play in our home and sell the bitch out for the first time in forever.

Also, Montreal was already getting a franchise. Thanks to us, mostly.

Wagner
10-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Don't get your hopes up at Rogers Centre.

1) they have MLSE over a barrel in terms of pricing.

2) Spring Fling will be there during march break.
http://www.rogerscentre.com/events/article.jsp?content=20110124_144452_8684 (i understand the link is for 2011...but it happens every year, and is already booked for next year)

I do agree with OT in terms of pricing, etc...pack the place.
Whatever SSH's don't buy, sell to soccer clubs for like $5 a kid.

menefreghista
10-19-2011, 05:44 AM
I'm just not sure there is enough of a buzz surrounding this team anymore to even fill the SkyDome for this. If this was 2008 I wouldn't even question it.

This team struggles to get 10,000 for the Group Stage games.

Besides the matches are being played in March, which might mean BMO Field could be ready?

Mind you if TFC draws LA Galaxy maybe the SkyDome is an option.

Fort York Redcoat
10-19-2011, 05:57 AM
I'm just not sure there is enough of a buzz surrounding this team anymore to even fill the SkyDome for this. If this was 2008 I wouldn't even question it.

This team struggles to get 10,000 for the Group Stage games.

Besides the matches are being played in March, which might mean BMO Field could be ready?

Mind you if TFC draws LA Galaxy maybe the SkyDome is an option.

I love the idea of packing Skydome with cheap tix available but if it can't be done in an affordable way than I believe you're right. Don't waste an opportunity to make BMO packed for a CCL night!! IT CAN BE DONE.:scarf:

ALso: I hate that you're so right about the Galaxy. I'm hoping we face any teams outside of MLS.

[NBF]
10-19-2011, 06:21 AM
It sounds like the logical thing to do when Toronto plays in the knockout rounds next spring. My concern is timing I guess someone already mentioned that there is already something scheduled for that date at the Rogers Centre, but the fact that ithe match will be played in March, it might mean a soggy or deteriorated BMO Field.

Also, if you do push for the match at the Rogers Centre, it could also mean playing on a surface thats entirely different than that of BMO Field. This might be a disadvantage to TFC since it would mean it would play on two foreign surfaces.

Rogers Centre only makes sense if you are trying to sell seats to the fans.

MLSE won't stand for that.......[Your Wallet]:hump:<----MLSE "fuckin every fold"

denime
10-19-2011, 06:48 AM
We should play at BMO and have a real home field advantage,F*#k Rogers Centre.

Section 117
10-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Spoke to people I know who work for BMO field. Not TFC and rumor is that if it possible to have BMO ready then the game will be held there. It all depends on the draw we get in November and when the game is being held here.

The advantage of playing at BMO field against a Mexican team or a central American team in early March would be huge.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Bmo Field!

Eastend
10-19-2011, 07:13 AM
I say BMO all the way. I know it'll be cold but so what?

ensco
10-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Speaking to the business decision, MLSE has put every fibre of their corporate being into keeping prices high and maintaining the image of scarcity. I have a lot of trouble imagining that they would suddenly go down the "let's get 50,000 fannies at $20 a pop" route...
Of course, if Rogers buys MLSE, that could change things, they want to promote Skydome. But probably not soon enough to influence what they do with this decision.

Speaking to the onfield decision, hell yeah, let's play it in a snowstorm.

Wagner
10-19-2011, 07:26 AM
BMO field can host the game.

BMO has an incredible drainage and turf heating system.

the issue is if it is super cold, they won't have water...ie...no toilets...
in order to get a liquor license...they'd need to bring in a few hundred port-o-lets.

By March we'll be starved/excited for TFC...we'll bundle up and head down to BMO to provide a true home field advantage.

Brooker
10-19-2011, 07:26 AM
It would be a miracle if we somehow even came close to selling out Skydome. I can't see it happening.

the issue is if it is super cold, they won't have water...ie...no toilets...
in order to get a liquor license...they'd need to bring in a few hundred port-o-lets.

Bring Your Own Flask.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2011, 07:41 AM
id love it to happen but i dont see it happening, dont forget how well the rest of the CCL games were received this year, dont expect it to be any different outside of the group stages (unfortunately)

Red CB Toronto
10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Tom Anselmi said at the town hall I was at that getting BMO ready for such an early home opener being March 26 presented real issues such as the pipes and that they would like to avoid that again. BMO was bult on the cheap as we all know so even an earlier date might make it impossible to play there.

GuelphStorm2007
10-19-2011, 08:01 AM
I totally agree why not have it at the Rogers Centre If they can get at least 35000 which I think is doable. If not Then the BMO will be fine.

Yohan
10-19-2011, 08:10 AM
have it as an one off thing. let's see if this is possible. if the attendance suck, at least we know just where TFC stands in the minds of Toronto sports fans

Brocko
10-19-2011, 08:11 AM
have it as an one off thing. let's see if this is possible. if the attendance suck, at least we know just where TFC stands in the minds of Toronto sports fans
Buried in the back pages of the Star and the Sun...with no pictures and no highlights on TV. We definately know where TFC stands in terms of the media;)

werewolf
10-19-2011, 08:13 AM
I seem to recall earlier this year, hearing about a FO employee making some outrageous claims to the media and public that poor attendance was due to the "poor weather". Now to host a game outdoors at the beginning of March...

rocker
10-19-2011, 08:14 AM
people talk about the home field advantage of BMO in the cold.... but do you really think our own players are suited to the cold? I don't think so. Yeah, some Mexicans will hate it, but I think many of our players will hate it too and it'll turn out to be a shitty game that could turn on a fluke (and not necessarily turn our way). If I was confident our players could play well in sub-zero teh way that Mexicans play well at altitude, I'd say go for it.... but I wouldn't say we've had many good cold weather March/April games in the past.

I'd go for Skydome if scheduling makes it possible. It's not like Santos Laguna played that well in Montreal under the controlled conditions of a dome. Montreal won 2-0. It was only in Mexico that Montreal had the collapse of the century.

Juanito
10-19-2011, 08:15 AM
I hope MLSE can market the be-jesus out of this match over the next months and create a real buzz back on this club.

I think SkyDome would be better, but we'll see. Aren't they putting in new grass next year? That's what I heard. It may not be ready for this match.

I also hope they give us first crack at tickets, because I would cry if I can't get tickets to this!!

Wagner
10-19-2011, 08:16 AM
I think it would be kind of awesome if we were at BMO...and this happened again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_2008

it was March 8, 2008 that it hit Toronto the hardest...

Juanito
10-19-2011, 08:18 AM
I think it would be kind of awesome if we were at BMO...and this happened again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_2008

it was March 8, 2008 that it hit Toronto the hardest...

How would this be awesome Wagner?! HA HA HA HA!

Yohan
10-19-2011, 08:20 AM
yeah. for the love of footy god let's not tempt fate. lol

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Logistically, if the match can be played at BMO Field, it's a no brainer. However, if we experience a winter that is reminiscent of last year, I think Rogers Centre would be a great alternative and a unique experience for TFC supporters. I have watched 2 friendlies at the Rogers Centre and the sightlines are decent.

I'm just thrilled that we are having this discussion in the first place. :D

Canada72
10-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Don't get your hopes up at Rogers Centre.

1) they have MLSE over a barrel in terms of pricing.

2) Spring Fling will be there during march break.
http://www.rogerscentre.com/events/article.jsp?content=20110124_144452_8684 (i understand the link is for 2011...but it happens every year, and is already booked for next year)

I do agree with OT in terms of pricing, etc...pack the place.
Whatever SSH's don't buy, sell to soccer clubs for like $5 a kid.

Looks like we will have first leg at home (will find out tonight after Pumas vs Tauro)

"h. In the Quarterfinal Round the four Group Winners will play the first leg away from home and the second leg at home."

"The first legs of the Quarterfinals will be played March 6–8, 2012, and the second legs will be played March 13–15, 2012"

Roger Center has nothing scheduled March 6-8 but has Disney on Ice March 14 - 18.

So if Tauro win we could be bumped from Rogers Center by Disney on Ice!

Beach_Red
10-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Speaking to the business decision, MLSE has put every fibre of their corporate being into keeping prices high and maintaining the image of scarcity. I have a lot of trouble imagining that they would suddenly go down the "let's get 50,000 fannies at $20 a pop" route...
Of course, if Rogers buys MLSE, that could change things, they want to promote Skydome. But probably not soon enough to influence what they do with this decision.

Speaking to the onfield decision, hell yeah, let's play it in a snowstorm.

Yes, but how are those business decisions working out these days? How are the renewals going?

OldTimer is right, this game can be used a "new beginning" in marketing. They have to do something to pull the team off the back pages off the newspapers, so to speak.

Onfield, sure, BMO, but for the first time here it feels like this team will be competitive for years - so if they need one "media game" for marketing they could do it.

Wagner
10-19-2011, 08:38 AM

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__51/ept_sports_nhl_experts-368916156-1262719943.jpg?ymHfSeCDacA4lhC8

I understand the photo is a Hand Egg game...but you get the idea...
we'd all remember the big CCL win in the snow.

Pookie
10-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Rogers involvement in soccer is an interesting development.

Rogers now owns Setanta Canada and by refusing GolTV in HD is clearly looking to squeeze that station out of the market and control the content.

Perhaps they could have MLSE over a bit of a barrel with respect to playing at BMO early. Perhaps some rent concessions could be made in exchange for content rights to broadcast TFC games on their Premium Setanta channel

And of course, if the sale of MLSE happens and it goes to Rogers, well, that is a whole new set of interesting possibilities.

Juanito
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__51/ept_sports_nhl_experts-368916156-1262719943.jpg?ymHfSeCDacA4lhC8

Wrong football Wagner.

Juanito
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Do you really think we would have an advantage in this:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01119/snow-football_1119659i.jpg

I'm not ruling it out, it's just that if you want to "market to the masses", not freezing your niggly-bits off is a bonus.

Wagner
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
break out the orange ball...

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/koln.thumbnail.jpg

this would be an advantage over a team like Pumas.
no way they are diving into the snow on purpose. ;)

Juanito
10-19-2011, 08:44 AM
^^

HA HA HA! Dutch connection.

Carts
10-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Use the Rogers Centre for the next CCL match. Contact youth soccer clubs. Sell really cheap tickets to them. Pack the joint. The buzz you'd create in the media from having 60k fans for a MLS club is worth millions to you. In Montreal it got them a franchise. In your case it would go a long way to restoring the buzz that disappeared 2 years ago. It's really worth what it would cost you. Just ask Joey.

PLEASE GOD NO!!!!

AL-MO
10-19-2011, 09:08 AM
If its at the Rogers Centre, we just need to make sure a united Supporters stand is organized.

If not, having any game in there would be pointless.

Shway
10-19-2011, 09:11 AM
I really and truly think some people already forgot how theres been a discussion on how fans wouldnt come to watch toronto fc in early march, the rants about how it would be too cold, blah blah blah.....now, IMO i believe Toronto FC SHOULD look into the Rogers centre because its the only way I can see the casual fan coming to the game. The loyal supporters who have been there all season long, will potentially be there, but the rest who havent been at mls games, or the 10k (if that) that would show up for a CCL group stage game. I dont see it being feasible, even if the game is 10$, the casual fan still has the option to say..."its wayyy too cold, I only paid 10$ for the ticket, forget about it..."

As much as we want it to be at BMO, it doesnt sound like a viable, realistic, option. Toronto FC has to think about the fans in the health conditions. The average temperature of March in Toronto is,low -4 /high 4°C (25 / 39°F). Theres only so much warming alcohol can do, and what about the kids.

KGH
10-19-2011, 09:28 AM
We're not getting 50,000 people to a game. Lets be realistic.

Leaf home schedule:
March 6 @7pm
March 8 @7pm

And we're not likely to get the Rogers center because of Disney on Ice. The game is going to be at BMO. Bundle up.

Unless...what are the chances that downsview is ready and they can bring in temporary stands to hold 10-15k?

jabbronies
10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
If its at the Rogers Centre, we just need to make sure a united Supporters stand is organized.

If not, having any game in there would be pointless.

Agreed - reason I'd like to have it in Skydome is to hear what we'd sound like in a roofed stadium. If we are scattered, then that would suck some balls.

Also - playing in the snow and cold sucks. Soccer cleets are not made for those conditions. Imagine having your frozen foot kicked by an opponent. It fucking sucks. And TBH I'd rather not have someone like Plata get seriously injured for months just because of 1 CCL game.

ochos
10-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Completely agreed on Skydome... the only reason I wouldn't want it there is because of the blue seats, but even then for a game like this I'd put it the other way.

Seems like the group is split in two - both sides have very valid arguments. This is as tough as deciding player of the year. BUT, this truly is an opportunity to reinvigorate the fan base and get lots of media attention. The real question is - how are we as a group going to try and influence this???

See my new poll thread I'm starting as I think we need to be politically active here no matter what the decision.

AL-MO
10-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Agreed - reason I'd like to have it in Skydome is to hear what we'd sound like in a roofed stadium. If we are scattered, then that would suck some balls.

Also - playing in the snow and cold sucks. Soccer cleets are not made for those conditions. Imagine having your frozen foot kicked by an opponent. It fucking sucks. And TBH I'd rather not have someone like Plata get seriously injured for months just because of 1 CCL game.

If its at the Dome, some people have the power to ensure this doesn't happen.

jabbronies
10-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Just thought of a reason not to play at Skydome - Turf pitch vs. Real grass.

Playing on the Turf will suck.
However, playing on an installed pitch that'll have less than a week to take root will suck as well.

DangerRed
10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm all for buzz, but I doubt we'll sell out BMO for this game, never mind the Rogers Centre.

Won't it have to be a weeknight affair anyway? A weeknight in MARCH, mind you?

As far as I'm concerned, there could be a fucking tornado over BMO for all I care, I'm still going, but I don't know how many casual fans will go. All I'm saying.

denime
10-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Just thought of a reason not to play at Skydome - Turf pitch vs. Real grass.

Playing on the Turf will suck.
However, playing on an installed pitch that'll have less than a week to take root will suck as well.

F*#K THE TURF AND ROGERS CENTER.

Heated grass and BMO all the way,I rather have 15-20 K HARD CORE Fans at BMO than 35K soccer casuals at Rogers.

RealG-TFC
10-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I think BMO will simply be too cold. I dont see much of an advantage if our own players will be freezing their asses off too.

Carts
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
I think BMO will simply be too cold. I dont see much of an advantage if our own players will be freezing their asses off too.

Guys the game is in MARCH!

Not Winnipeg in late January...

March average high: 3ºC / 37ºF
March average low: -5ºC / 23ºF

You guys are making it sound like the average temp is -40! :(

Record low -27 (that would be cold - BUT I'VE WATCHED A NFL GAME IN LOWER AND IT WAS FUN!!!!)...

Record high is 27 or 81!

Mango Kid
10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Let's not forget we were at BMO on March 24th this year for the home opener. Will a game two or three weeks ahead of that REALLY be that much worse? Doubtful. If the field is playable, and all indications it will be, let's do it. This isn't a Grey Cup in Edmonton in late November, it is Toronto in March. It could easily be warm. Here's the historical for Toronto on Weather Network the last few years. Not that bad.

Search Results: March 6 , 2011Toronto City

Max Temp: -1.1 °C
Min Temp: -5.6 °C
Mean Temp: -3.4 °C
Precip Accumulation: 3.8 mm

Search Results: March 6 , 2010Toronto City

Max Temp: 8.8 °C
Min Temp: -1.5 °C
Mean Temp: 3.6 °C
Precip Accumulation: 0 mm

Search Results: March 6 , 2009Toronto City

Max Temp: 17.4 °C
Min Temp: 4 °C
Mean Temp: 10.7 °C

jabbronies
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Let's not forget we were at BMO on March 24th this year for the home opener. Will a game two or three weeks ahead of that REALLY be that much worse? Doubtful. If the field is playable, and all indications it will be, let's do it. This isn't a Grey Cup in Edmonton in late November, it is Toronto in March. It could easily be warm. Here's the historical for Toronto on Weather Network the last few years. Not that bad.

If you follow the patterns in these findings - it seems that it's getting colder and colder each year.
So predictions for this year could be something like:

Max Temp: -8 °C
Min Temp: -10 °C
Mean Temp: -6 °C

jabbronies
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Anyways - I'm pretty sure that the game will be played at BMO. Sounds like the pitch readiness won't be a problem.
Just be ready for a shitty game. Players who never play in the cold get thrown out on a chilly -5 with wind day make for shitty footy. We've seen it at BMO before.

ensco
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes, but how are those business decisions working out these days? How are the renewals going?

OldTimer is right, this game can be used a "new beginning" in marketing. They have to do something to pull the team off the back pages off the newspapers, so to speak.

Onfield, sure, BMO, but for the first time here it feels like this team will be competitive for years - so if they need one "media game" for marketing they could do it.

You mean MLSE give validation to the obvious fact that tickets to TFC games are only worth $20 each or something, no matter where they are in the stadium?

The guy who is going to drop prices, even as a one-off marketing trial, is Tom Anselmi's replacement.

prizby
10-19-2011, 10:54 AM
$20 midfield seats
$10 anywhere else seats in 100's 200's
$5 in the 500's and supporters section

Tell Rogers you won't pay rent, they take care of security and that stuff...mlse keeps the ticket revenue, rogers makes a boat load off the concession revenue

everyone wins

Mango Kid
10-19-2011, 11:03 AM
If you follow the patterns in these findings - it seems that it's getting colder and colder each year.

There goes that whole "global warming" notion...

Carts
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
There goes that whole "global warming" notion...

Oh no - now there's no global warming? Someone is going to organize a protest in Toronto...!!!

MLSE - DON'T DO WHAT THE IMPACT DID! PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!

SirBobSaget
10-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Anyways - I'm pretty sure that the game will be played at BMO. Sounds like the pitch readiness won't be a problem.
Just be ready for a shitty game. Players who never play in the cold get thrown out on a chilly -5 with wind day make for shitty footy. We've seen it at BMO before.

The TFC players will have plenty of time to prepare for the conditions. They're opponents wont. Its a significant advantage.

prizby
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm all for buzz, but I doubt we'll sell out BMO for this game, never mind the Rogers Centre.

Won't it have to be a weeknight affair anyway? A weeknight in MARCH, mind you?

As far as I'm concerned, there could be a fucking tornado over BMO for all I care, I'm still going, but I don't know how many casual fans will go. All I'm saying.

yet...3 years ago, montreal was able to get 55k on a weeknight in MARCH

spe18
10-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Do any of you remember this game? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKWzEpWDzw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tc4PJJs2ek

Oldtimer
10-19-2011, 01:24 PM
From the Toronto Blizzard's first ever game (old NASL):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0k_o26QCu34/SHkJwj-K8dI/AAAAAAAAAPg/sS4wuMPg3mE/s400/BlizzardOpenerApril79cropparagraph.jpg

Us die-hards might not mind snow, but we're 2% of the stadium.

RealG-TFC
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Us die-hards might not mind snow, but we're 2% of the stadium.

I think this is what it is going to come down to. Id stand out in the cold, and in snow, but i imagine the vast majority of people wont. Even for me there are limits. Imagine it rains. Cold march rain is 1000% worse than snow.

nfitz
10-19-2011, 01:58 PM

However, look at 2007:
Search Results: March 6 , 2007Toronto City

Max Temp: -11.3 °C
Min Temp: -20.9 °C
Mean Temp: -16.1 °C

Not to mention how many days does the system have to be on ahead of the game? What are the chances you'll get that chance in late February?

It might be nice - heck, it probably will be nice. But the decision has to be made in November ... not in March.

Mango Kid
10-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Whatever it is, I'd rather be outside at BMO than in soulless, life-sucking Rogers.

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Whatever it is, I'd rather be outside at BMO than in soulless, life-sucking Rogers.

The supporters create the atmosphere, not the venue.

rocker
10-19-2011, 02:27 PM

I saw Celtic-Roma at Skydome and it was a very good place to see a game.
They had 40K+ and it was fine.

Actually, with a roof, I would think the supporters would sound amazing... much louder than when freezing in a cold rain in March with no roof.

Mango Kid
10-19-2011, 02:30 PM
The supporters create the atmosphere, not the venue.

I sit in the last row in section 114, about what, 50' from the field? At Rogers, 50' from the field you might be first row. Don't tell me the venue doesn't play a role.

ManUtd4ever
10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I sit in the last row in section 114, about what, 50' from the field? At Rogers, 50' from the field you might be first row. Don't tell me the venue doesn't play a role.

Of course the sightlines aren't as good (I sit 11 rows from field level at BMO so I know what you mean), but I would be willing to sacrifice for one game to enjoy the experience of having twice as many supporters in attendance, and to avoid the possibility of watching football played in the snow. Besides, I've watched a couple of friendlies at Rogers Center and it's not that bad. My point is that the atmosphere could still be electric if the match has to be played indoors.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
I saw Celtic-Roma at Skydome and it was a very good place to see a game.
They had 40K+ and it was fine.

Actually, with a roof, I would think the supporters would sound amazing... much louder than when freezing in a cold rain in March with no roof.

BINGO! Give Rocker a prize!

I've seen a number of football games at Skydome and it's a better than decent footie venue.

TFC have zero chance of selling out BMO in March…ZERO.

If the FO played it right, mind you the have FAILED at every opportunity thus far, I believe you could get 30 to 40,000 in Skydome with a roof! It would be deafening in there!!!

The CCL quarterfinals is "found" money for these clowns! Let's see what they do with it? Use this as a catalyst for the upcoming 2012 season…it's a freebie marketing tool!

And trust me they need it! I'm cutting my season tickets in half next year and I know of at least 5 STH in my section who are doing the same. They need to pull out all the stops to maintain STH retention and fill the huge void that's bound to come after Year 5 and no playoffs.

Toronto_Bhoy
10-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Guess you would be interested to see a game at the Nou Camp or Old Trafford? :)

Both much larger than Skydome and amazing!

werewolf
10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
We will play outside, get drawn against the Rapids and the joke will be on us.

The potential for something special is greater at SkyDome. All the respect that Seattle and Portland gets with their noise levels, imagine us in a fully enclosed venue. There is serious potential, whether or not the FO can actually capitalize on it is something else.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-19-2011, 05:11 PM
We will play outside, get drawn against the Rapids and the joke will be on us.

The potential for something special is greater at SkyDome. All the respect that Seattle and Portland gets with their noise levels, imagine us in a fully enclosed venue. There is serious potential, whether or not the FO can actually capitalize on it is something else.

If we play at the dome vs a mexican side the joke will be on us when 25 000 torontonian mexicans decide they want to show up at the dome for the game...:D..

regardless...im all for bmo

TFC/Everton
10-19-2011, 05:18 PM
I vote Skydome. 45,000 - 50,000 people would be electric. Lets show the world we are a world class club.

werewolf
10-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Our city held pretty well when we played Jamaica during WCQ with open ticket sales. I am not worried about away fans, they can easily be confined to a few upper sections.

Playing outside in March is not a recipe for success.

habstfc
10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
If we play at the dome vs a mexican side the joke will be on us when 25 000 torontonian mexicans decide they want to show up at the dome for the game...:D..

regardless...im all for bmo

It has to be played at skydome. I guarantee less than 5,000 for a game in early march at bmo. Skydome might not get 50,000 but 35 to 40,000 is realistic.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-19-2011, 06:53 PM
id be totally psyched if we could get 50 000 supporters for TFC, the fact of the matter is its been a tenth of that for the CL games in better weather at home. I do not see 50k coming out for this game sadly. I sure as fuck dont want to watch the game at the skydome with only 10k

werewolf
10-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Montreal had 7600, 12000 and 8900 before putting 55 000 in Olympic stadium. The trick was the FO wasn't greedy and wanted to treat it as a big event.

Other then pride/"this is our house!!!!!!" what are the benefits to playing at the National Soccer Stadium? Weather really isn't that advantageous to our team of foreigners.

james
10-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Do any of you remember this game? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKWzEpWDzw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tc4PJJs2ek

NFL never really made any sense to me on why its played when it is. It starts in the summer, ends in the middle of winter, half the teams play in hot climates while other half in some of the coldest places in the country. And then the super bowl final is always in a hot climate city or indoors, why not ever in snow for the final then?? wierd sport.

james
10-20-2011, 02:02 AM
question is if played at BMO where would we want the supporters section to be?? right behind the net lower deck behind where normally home plate is?? or behind the net where the home run area is?? its smaller over there but still probably fits a few thousand and that roof is dam low over there, can make some serious noise. Also got some good space for big banners over there hanging over the home run walls, they had a huge celtic one hanging there years back vs Roma, looks good. or would it be more likely to be in the upper deck?? there is still room to make noise up there and have banners as well. And how many seats are they willing to make a supporters section? 3,000? 5,000? 7,000?

Juanito
10-20-2011, 02:53 AM
NFL never really made any sense to me on why its played when it is. It starts in the summer, ends in the middle of winter, half the teams play in hot climates while other half in some of the coldest places in the country. And then the super bowl final is always in a hot climate city or indoors, why not ever in snow for the final then?? wierd sport.

They don't want weather to dictate the outcome of the game. It's a good policy. Ever since the "Icebowl" in Green Bay, they have adopted this policy.

Hell, the Bundesliga shuts down for several weeks in winter because of the cold. It isn't unheard of!

Mango Kid
10-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Of course the sightlines aren't as good (I sit 11 rows from field level at BMO so I know what you mean), but I would be willing to sacrifice for one game to enjoy the experience of having twice as many supporters in attendance, and to avoid the possibility of watching football played in the snow. Besides, I've watched a couple of friendlies at Rogers Center and it's not that bad. My point is that the atmosphere could still be electric if the match has to be played indoors.

It "could" be electric, sure. But I'd say the odds of it being electric are far greater at BMO. And let's be serious, do we really think the odds of putting 30-40k into the Rogmahal are that great? I sure don't.

Mango Kid
10-20-2011, 07:14 AM
TFC have zero chance of selling out BMO in March…ZERO.

Zero chance? Hmm...wasn't it sold out on March 24th this year?

Mango Kid
10-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Guess you would be interested to see a game at the Nou Camp or Old Trafford? :)

Both much larger than Skydome and amazing!

Yes, and have been to both and a totally different animal when you're talking world class, legendary teams in legendary buildings playing in competitions that even the casual sports fan (not soccer fan) are aware of. The CCL? When has TFC come close to selling out BMO for a CCL game, nevermind Rogers Centre?

And IMO, even 15,000 in BMO > 25,000 at Rogers.

Put a bunch of RPB's next to the corporate types or a bus load of kids with the legendarily anal Rogers Centre security and we'll see how the atmosphere is. There's enough bitching on here day to day, wait til that happens...

Mango Kid
10-20-2011, 07:19 AM
The trick was the FO wasn't greedy and wanted to treat it as a big event.

And is there anybody here that figures ours wouldn't be greedy? If so, I'd love to hear based on what exactly.

Mango Kid
10-20-2011, 07:23 AM
They don't want weather to dictate the outcome of the game. It's a good policy. Ever since the "Icebowl" in Green Bay, they have adopted this policy.

Green Bay is north of Toronto, last I looked, and we're not talking January here, we're talking March.

werewolf
10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
And is there anybody here that figures ours wouldn't be greedy? If so, I'd love to hear based on what exactly.

I have next to zero confidence that playing at SkyDome would be about making it an event, and not about greed. But I will continue to live in a fantasy world when it comes to this club, and hope some how, some day it eventually functions like any proper club in the world. Otherwise, I never would have renewed my tickets beyond the first season, also known as Season I.

maninb
10-20-2011, 10:17 AM
It has to be played at skydome. I guarantee less than 5,000 for a game in early march at bmo. Skydome might not get 50,000 but 35 to 40,000 is realistic.

LMAO! You can't be serious...the game will SELL OUT if it's above ZERO, and it usually is that time of year...

Ossington Mental Youth
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes, and have been to both and a totally different animal when you're talking world class, legendary teams in legendary buildings playing in competitions that even the casual sports fan (not soccer fan) are aware of. The CCL? When has TFC come close to selling out BMO for a CCL game, nevermind Rogers Centre?

And IMO, even 15,000 in BMO > 25,000 at Rogers.

Put a bunch of RPB's next to the corporate types or a bus load of kids with the legendarily anal Rogers Centre security and we'll see how the atmosphere is. There's enough bitching on here day to day, wait til that happens...
This right here