PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Off-Season TFC player movement thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Oldtimer
10-18-2011, 11:11 AM
For once the team won't be totally blown up and rebuilt at the end of the season.

Post any trades, rumoured trades, discovery signings, rumoured discovery signings, etc. here.

Credit to [NBF] for starting a similar thread last year. This is just an update

KGH
10-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Does a list of available free agents exist anywhere?

[NBF]
10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
You are jumping the gun that we've turned the table, this team has not had one single offseason without a drama story for the headlines.

My guess is the next story will be either we will lose a good depth player in the offseason or we will lose one of our coaches to another team like the Impact or Whitecaps, but mark my words we will lose someone the team values.

Oldtimer
10-19-2011, 08:36 AM
;1393030']You are jumping the gun that we've turned the table, this team has not had one single offseason without a drama story for the headlines.

My guess is the next story will be either we will lose a good depth player in the offseason or we will lose one of our coaches to another team like the Impact or Whitecaps, but mark my words we will lose someone the team values.

I said:

For once the team won't be totally blown up and rebuilt at the end of the season.Sure there is a lot of work to do. It just won't be a complete burn down and rebuild. Or do you expect 40 new players to pass through the gates next year? If so, why? I used the word totally for a reason.

I expect that we will lose a player or two that we won't want to. We'll still have to add to the defense. Probably less than 8 players will be needed.

nascarguy
10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm starting to think Stefan Frei will not be here next season and will be sold to a club in the uk

colman1860
10-19-2011, 08:50 AM
I think it's far more like Frei is traded to another MLS team. He hasn't shown the consistent improvement he did during his first two seasons

bdiddy
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Kocic has shown that he is an MLS calibre goaltender, and just needed some playing time to prove it. Frei could probably be traded for some good D help

ag futbol
10-19-2011, 09:44 AM
I still expect a fair amount of turnover. This is MLS afterall

moralis
10-19-2011, 03:08 PM
2012 MLS expansion draft details:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/19/mls-releases-details-montreal-expansion-draft

Canary10
10-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Wonder what the rules are about protecting goalkeepers. Wondering if we'll have to leave one unprotected?

West220Side
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
A topic id like to see discussed would be which current MLS Players would you like to see come onto Toronto FCs roster next year?

ensco
10-19-2011, 06:53 PM
We'll pick 4th in the superdraft, as we'll finish in 16th place (ie 3rd worse).

Even if we win and SJ lose Saturday, which would tie us for 15th on points, our head to head was a sawoff (2 1-1 draws), but SJ would be "ahead" of us based on their far better goal differential (assuming I'm right that the draft order tiebreak is head-to-head, then goal differential).

[NBF]
10-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Well, although we can't say that we've gained much ground since the first edition of this thread last season. We can at least say that we've gotten in some ways what we wanted for a Head Coach and for a Technical Director.

Aron Winter, was named Head Coach & Technical Director in January of 2011 and has shown that he can bring in the "big signings" based on his name recognition, which will go a long way to further develop the team in to a playoffs contender for the 2012 season.

So far, Winter hasn't delivered results in the 2011 MLS season, but has built a decent and promising roster that has more quality and technical ability than the 2010 team or any other TFC team.

Some players are capable of playing the "system" that Aron Winter wants the team to play and some are capable depth players.

Here is a list of both types of players who should hold down a spot on the team for the 2012 season; those who are starters(underlined and are in bold) and those who are depth players(placed in their normal position under the starters):

4-3-3:

*Where its listed (1.Vacant) those are positions without a consistent starting player to fill the position and where it has a number that is the level of priority.

------------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
------------------------------------Kocic-----------------------------------
(3.Vacant)-------------Iro------------------(1.Vacant)--------(2.Vacant)
Viator----------------Williams--------------------Henry---------------Morgan
Davies---------------------------------------------------------------Borman
---------------------------------Frings(DP)--------------------------------
---------------------------------(6.Vacant)--------------------------------
---------------------Avila---------------------(5.Vacant)------------------
--------------------Stinson----------------------Griffit----------------------
--------------------Cordon-------------------------------------------------
Martina------------------------------------------------------------Johnson
Marosevic-----------------------Koevermans-----------------------Zavarise
Soolsma--------------------------(4.Vacant)--------------------------Lindsay
----------------------------------Makubuya--------------------------------

Total: 23 out of 30.

Canadians: 8 players, who have each at least one game
Americans: 3 players, who show value and meet MLS requirements
Internationals: 12 players, a little high, but there should be 11 starters.

The Rest Of The Players From The 2011 Team

Players on loan with TFC in 2011:

1. Eckersley, I think once he returns to Burnley, he might get reminded of what real football is like and would prefer to stay rather than take a massive step down to MLS.

2. Plata, If he is signed full-time, I think it would be wise to strengthen the left back and centre back roles to allow for Plata to stay forward on the attack where he would be more of an impact.

Players who played for TFC, but should be waived:

1. Bouchiba, who is this guy? The invisible man?

2. Sturgis, he never closes anyone down and never bothers to tackle anyone. His playing style can be considered similar to a "taller" player in his position, but he is not much physically imposing than Plata.

3. Harden, he is good at central defender, but his change of direction is too wide and he does not have the speed to keep up. Plain and simple, he's too slow.

4. Gold, hasn't really done much to say he has something to offer and is too similar to Sturgis, but with a lesser sense of trying to fill space.

5. Omphroy, he must be hanging out with Bouchiba somewhere, because I have never seen him.

Players on the bubble or contract runs out:

1. DeGuzman, contract runs out after 2011 season. Should be resigned on high salary non-DP contract. No more than Ryan Johnson.

2. Dunfield, he would make a good depth player, but only if Avila is the new starting central midfielder, and DeGuzman is not resigned.

3. Cann, contract runs out after the 2011 season. Should be resigned for depth if no other centre back is signed as a DP or starting centre back.

2012 MLS SuperDraft:

Round 1: Natural pick & 2nd pick from NYRB for DeRosario.
Round 2: No picks. Traded it for Dasan Robinson
Round 3: Natural pick & 2nd pick from Rapids for Joseph Nane.
Round 4: Natural pick.

Draft Strategy: Lets build from back to front!

Note: This is the same as last year with a few minor changes, but the priorities are still the same

STRIKERS: Select the best striker in the 2012 Draft and put him up front to start or move him to the right wing to get playing experience. Likewise, if the Striker is a left footed player that can be used as a left winger. Versatility is the key here since there's not much finishing skill in the strikers coming from the college draft. A target man would be great but not if he will be a statute waiting for crosses from our left or right backs. Striker is priority #4.

MIDFIELDERS: Finding "blue-collar" midfielders is a priority. Players like Marosevic & Avila that are all effort with some technique would be ideal for depth. These players are definitely available in the college draft. A solid centre-midfield leader is priority #5 & a defensive midfielder is a priority #6.

DEFENDERS: The epich centre back search is on going for the 6th season. Any player thats in the draft will not be the answer that we need unless TFC uses the draft to trade for a player named Dejan Jakovic. Centre Back is priority #1, and Left Back is priority #2, and right back is priority #3.

GOALKEEPERS: Drafting a Goalkeeper is not a priority, but if there's one available with some promise maybe draft him and loan him out. Goalkeeper is priority #7.

Alonso
10-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that Deguzman is on contract through next season.

And Omphroy is being groomed as a forward as opposed to his usual RB position that he played in college, so he'll still be around next year I think.

DichioTFC
10-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Presenting the man we must get in the upcoming MLS draft:

Andrew Wenger (no relation)

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/200/EQ/EQQJIHJGRDPGZHV.20110817220828.jpg

6'0
175 lbs
Defender
20 years old

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204766622

DichioTFC
10-20-2011, 12:07 AM
^ Apparently we're already targeting him. Paul Mariner was on Duke's campus early September.

Oldtimer
10-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I don't see Harden going anywhere soon, I think the coaches see something in him, some potential.

He certainly has improved greatly this season. I see him as a depth player.

maninb
10-20-2011, 07:32 AM
;1393799']Well, although we can't say that we've gained much ground since the first edition of this thread last season. We can at least say that we've gotten in some ways what we wanted for a Head Coach and for a Technical Director.

Aron Winter, was named Head Coach & Technical Director in January of 2011 and has shown that he can bring in the "big signings" based on his name recognition, which will go a long way to further develop the team in to a playoffs contender for the 2012 season.

So far, Winter hasn't delivered results in the 2011 MLS season, but has built a decent and promising roster that has more quality and technical ability than the 2010 team or any other TFC team.

Some players are capable of playing the "system" that Aron Winter wants the team to play and some are capable depth players.

Here is a list of both types of players who should hold down a spot on the team for the 2012 season; those who are starters(underlined and are in bold) and those who are depth players(placed in their normal position under the starters):

4-3-3:

*Where its listed (1.Vacant) those are positions without a consistent starting player to fill the position and where it has a number that is the level of priority.

------------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
------------------------------------Kocic-----------------------------------
(3.Vacant)-------------Iro------------------(1.Vacant)--------(2.Vacant)
Viator----------------Williams--------------------Henry---------------Morgan
Davies---------------------------------------------------------------Borman
---------------------------------Frings(DP)--------------------------------
---------------------------------(6.Vacant)--------------------------------
---------------------Avila---------------------(5.Vacant)------------------
--------------------Stinson----------------------Griffit----------------------
--------------------Cordon-------------------------------------------------
Martina------------------------------------------------------------Johnson
Marosevic-----------------------Koevermans-----------------------Zavarise
Soolsma--------------------------(4.Vacant)--------------------------Lindsay
----------------------------------Makubuya--------------------------------

Total: 23 out of 30.

Canadians: 8 players, who have each at least one game
Americans: 3 players, who show value and meet MLS requirements
Internationals: 12 players, a little high, but there should be 11 starters.

The Rest Of The Players From The 2011 Team

Players on loan with TFC in 2011:

1. Eckersley, I think once he returns to Burnley, he might get reminded of what real football is like and would prefer to stay rather than take a massive step down to MLS.

2. Plata, If he is signed full-time, I think it would be wise to strengthen the left back and centre back roles to allow for Plata to stay forward on the attack where he would be more of an impact.

Players who played for TFC, but should be waived:

1. Bouchiba, who is this guy? The invisible man?

2. Sturgis, he never closes anyone down and never bothers to tackle anyone. His playing style can be considered similar to a "taller" player in his position, but he is not much physically imposing than Plata.

3. Harden, he is good at central defender, but his change of direction is too wide and he does not have the speed to keep up. Plain and simple, he's too slow.

4. Gold, hasn't really done much to say he has something to offer and is too similar to Sturgis, but with a lesser sense of trying to fill space.

5. Omphroy, he must be hanging out with Bouchiba somewhere, because I have never seen him.

Players on the bubble or contract runs out:

1. DeGuzman, contract runs out after 2011 season. Should be resigned on high salary non-DP contract. No more than Ryan Johnson.

2. Dunfield, he would make a good depth player, but only if Avila is the new starting central midfielder, and DeGuzman is not resigned.

3. Cann, contract runs out after the 2011 season. Should be resigned for depth if no other centre back is signed as a DP or starting centre back.

2012 MLS SuperDraft:

Round 1: Natural pick & 2nd pick from NYRB for DeRosario.
Round 2: No picks. Traded it for Dasan Robinson
Round 3: Natural pick & 2nd pick from Rapids for Joseph Nane.
Round 4: Natural pick.

Sorry but your choice of Martina is very puzzling...he's SHOWN ALMOST nothing and hasn't even been playing for the reserves...he's got no future here...and Harden has shown amazing improvement the past 2 months, probably thanks to the coaching and should definitely be signed as a backup CB..Also don't be quick to write off Eckersley...he's dating a Canadian girls, absolutely LOVES the city, and will get a big pay upgrade this winter.

Shakes McQueen
10-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Plata is the one guy they are going to need to work to hang onto. JDG is with us for another season, and at this point, I'd probably be glad to have him. He has had a huge turnaround since the transfer window - he genuinely looks inspired right now.

Dunfield and Cann are the other two guys we are going to need to make a decision on - Dunfield is solid depth, and Cann barely played due to his injury, so his leaving wouldn't dramatically later the complexion of the team we've got right now.

I expect most of the roster changes to be made on defense, and swapping out depth players like Sturgis and Omphroy. Plata is the one big wild card, for me. Ecks has been good too, but not irreplacable.

I wish I had a good idea of what our cap situation looks like right now.

- Scott

ag futbol
10-20-2011, 08:00 AM

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/19/mls-releases-details-montreal-expansion-draft
*groan*

I really wish they'd do away with this thing, or knock down the number of picks the other team gets to something like 5. It just creates a stupid amount of turnover in a league where players don't stick around long.

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
*groan*

I really wish they'd do away with this thing, or knock down the number of picks the other team gets to something like 5. It just creates a stupid amount of turnover in a league where players don't stick around long.

Stupid amount of turnover? Just over half the teams lose 1 player each, how's that a stupid amount of turnover?

There are a lot more things "wrong" about MLS that cause player turnover.

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Sorry but your choice of Martina is very puzzling...he's SHOWN ALMOST nothing and hasn't even been playing for the reserves...he's got no future here...and Harden has shown amazing improvement the past 2 months, probably thanks to the coaching and should definitely be signed as a backup CB..Also don't be quick to write off Eckersley...he's dating a Canadian girls, absolutely LOVES the city, and will get a big pay upgrade this winter.

I've taken to ignoring him, since there's also fun things like:

Iro plays LCB, not RCB.
JDG is signed through the 2012 season as far as we know.
There are only 6 internationals on his list to stick around.

Not even going to comment on the fact that "demoting" Morgan at this point is ridiculous, and thinking that Viator and Borman will be kept on is silly (depending on their contracts of course, might be stuck with them).

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Presenting the man we must get in the upcoming MLS draft:

Andrew Wenger (no relation)

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/200/EQ/EQQJIHJGRDPGZHV.20110817220828.jpg

6'0
175 lbs
Defender
20 years old

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204766622

How much different of a player is he compared to Davies or Henry? It's interesting to be targeting him, but do we really need another young CB that's not going to get any playing time?

Yohan
10-20-2011, 09:44 AM
I've taken to ignoring him, since there's also fun things like:

Iro plays LCB, not RCB.
JDG is signed through the 2012 season as far as we know.
There are only 6 internationals on his list to stick around.

Not even going to comment on the fact that "demoting" Morgan at this point is ridiculous, and thinking that Viator and Borman will be kept on is silly (depending on their contracts of course, might be stuck with them).
he says a lot of silly stuff. I discount his opinions.

PopePouri
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
How much different of a player is he compared to Davies or Henry? It's interesting to be targeting him, but do we really need another young CB that's not going to get any playing time?

Could be Davies and Henry will get a lot more playing time next year or they're looking at a more experience CB as a starter. Depends what they do with Williams and Cann.

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Could be Davies and Henry will get a lot more playing time next year or they're looking at a more experience CB as a starter. Depends what they do with Williams and Cann.

And Iro and Harden. Have a tonne of CBs.

Yohan
10-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Plata is the one guy they are going to need to work to hang onto. JDG is with us for another season, and at this point, I'd probably be glad to have him. He has had a huge turnaround since the transfer window - he genuinely looks inspired right now.
I'd leave JDG protected because no matter how well he's been playing lately, he's replaceable, leaving a DP spot open.

Dunfield and Cann are the other two guys we are going to need to make a decision on - Dunfield is solid depth, and Cann barely played due to his injury, so his leaving wouldn't dramatically later the complexion of the team we've got right now.
Dunfield is also replaceable. Stinson, Gold and Sturgis can play his position, and lately, he hasn't really shined in the games he has played.

Cann might be a bit trickier because I'm not sure if Winter wants to resign an aging CB who probably lost a bit of pace that he never had much in first place, and he's got two similar CBs in Harden and Iro. Tempt Mtl with Cann and let them deal with Cann's contract issue.

Yohan
10-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah, unless this kid turns out to be a stud CB with a lot of pace who can contribute right away, why sign another kid who'll rot on the bench?

While I have faith in Mariner in signing the right kids from the draft, I think TFC should be looking at a depth striker/winger from the draft.

Wooster_TFC
10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, unless this kid turns out to be a stud CB with a lot of pace who can contribute right away, why sign another kid who'll rot on the bench?

While I have faith in Mariner in signing the right kids from the draft, I think TFC should be looking at a depth striker/winger from the draft.

Depth striker might be covered though with Vukovic (sp?) from the Academy.

Pick the best player available in my mind. If that happens to be a CB, so be it. If that's a GK, so be it. Better to have trading chips than to have someone who "fills a need" for depth. I strongly believe that noone we get in the draft is going to be a starter for us next year.

Yohan
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Depth striker might be covered though with Vukovic (sp?) from the Academy.

Pick the best player available in my mind. If that happens to be a CB, so be it. If that's a GK, so be it. Better to have trading chips than to have someone who "fills a need" for depth. I strongly believe that noone we get in the draft is going to be a starter for us next year.
Anyone got a good scouting report on Vukovic? Is he a small striker/AM?

Greatest Ripoff
10-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Vukovic is a striker and I am not really sure of his height but he is definitely not slight of build.

oxygenatedbrain
10-20-2011, 12:22 PM

No, he's no "hole" player, not another Aleman, plays right up front. At this point in his development, most of his goals result from very, very direct play from intermediate to long distance...but, he's young.

ag futbol
10-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Stupid amount of turnover? Just over half the teams lose 1 player each, how's that a stupid amount of turnover?

There are a lot more things "wrong" about MLS that cause player turnover.
Right ...except the turnover doesn't end with those players who are drafted. The whole process creates a knock-on effect where team A loses a player to team B in the expansion draft who then trades him to team C for another player not involved in the expansion draft.

You'll also notice that if you look at last years expansion draft, 20 players went in total and some teams lost multiple guys.

prizby
10-20-2011, 05:04 PM
MARTINA WILL NOT START NBF...how more clear can anyone make this...he doesn't try in practice which is WHY he hasn't been playing and he will be cut...figure it out

also DE GUZMAN IS SIGNED THROUGH 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/09/11/sp-toronto-fc-deguzman.html

Financial details of the deal were not released, but the club confirmed that the 28-year-old native of Scarborough, Ont., has agreed to terms on a contract that ties him to the club through the 2012 Major League Soccer season.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
MARTINA WILL NOT START NBF...how more clear can anyone make this...he doesn't try in practice which is WHY he hasn't been playing and he will be cut...figure it out

also DE GUZMAN IS SIGNED THROUGH 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/09/11/sp-toronto-fc-deguzman.html

just block him dude, made my life so much easier

Wooster_TFC
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Right ...except the turnover doesn't end with those players who are drafted. The whole process creates a knock-on effect where team A loses a player to team B in the expansion draft who then trades him to team C for another player not involved in the expansion draft.

You'll also notice that if you look at last years expansion draft, 20 players went in total and some teams lost multiple guys.

Right, pick the one time that there's multiple teams in an expansion draft as an example for teams losing more than 1 guy.

Some real reasons for turnover:

1. Limited roster spots (Only 20 players allowed - dev didn't really count - until this year).
2. Salary cap (it's going up, but still needs work - if a player doesn't earn their keep, buh bye).
3. Lack of a reserve league (back this year - you don't keep someone around to rot on the bench).
4. SuperDraft (at least 4 new players per team, 1-2 of them being starter/bench quality, means 1-2 players have to go).
5. The epidemic of team options (contracts are usually 2 + 1 + 1, so you can just not pick up the option).

Dare I continue?

Even in off-seasons where there has been no expansion draft, the entire league has a ridiculous amount of turnover, and at the very least, those 5 things above have more of an impact on the turnover than the expansion draft does.

Oldtimer
10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Re-entry draft:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/20/mls-announces-re-entry-draft-set-dec-5-and-12

PopePouri
10-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Re-entry draft:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/20/mls-announces-re-entry-draft-set-dec-5-and-12

Who would be potential be on it for TFC?

Yohan
10-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Who would be potential be on it for TFC?
I believe the list of players on reentry draft is coming out on 30 nov

Dreadlocks
10-21-2011, 02:34 PM

Not sure if there is one already but a thread/poll of which player we should protect? I would start the thread but the protected list rules looks pretty complicated.

Any takers? :hide:

Oldtimer
10-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Not sure if there is one already but a thread/poll of which player we should protect? I would start the thread but the protected list rules looks pretty complicated.

Any takers? :hide:

I'm not sure a poll would give us much valuable information. We have too many polls as it is.

Besides, the only player question that realistically is up in the air is will TFC protect Cann? Most of the other choices are obvious.

PopePouri
10-21-2011, 03:43 PM
I believe the list of players on reentry draft is coming out on 30 nov

Right but who's contract is coming to an end this year?

[NBF]
10-21-2011, 06:17 PM
I really hope we get rid of Harden in the expansion draft. That's saying I hope someone will take Harden off our hands once and for all.I think we've all come to the conclusion that we have alot of good depth at the centre back position but no one to pencil in with Iro on the first team. Cann should also be put on the unprotected list.

I'm still undecided on Decoy Williams, on whether he's a starter in this league or if he's suppose to provide depth. As far as a depth player he seemed decent enough, but he didn't get on the field in back to back games. So its hard to tell.

Iro is definitely the starter at centre back for next season, but I would hate to lose Dicoy Williams in the expansion draft if we dont know how good he can be in the league.

Would any of you protect Dicoy Williams?

Dreadlocks
10-21-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure a poll would give us much valuable information. We have too many polls as it is.

Besides, the only player question that realistically is up in the air is will TFC protect Cann? Most of the other choices are obvious.

Ok fine lol - no poll. Not a big fan of them anyway. But it may still be worth discussing. I'm not so sure it's that cut and dry. Of the 25 roster players, we would all agree on the same 11 to protect? For example, do we protect JDG? Or does he have to be protected because he has a no trade clause (or does he?) If I were Montreal, I'd pick him up!

Oldtimer
10-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Former Ipswich Town (Championship) player Reggie Lambe to sign for TFC.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20111022/SPORT01/710229977/-1

denime
10-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Former Ipswich Town (Championship) player Reggie Lambe to sign for TFC.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20111022/SPORT01/710229977/-1

Just like they promised,working on additions for next year roster will start right after the last game.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-22-2011, 08:49 AM
nice, prob to replace martina

ManUtd4ever
10-22-2011, 08:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Lambe

Hugh Jazz
10-22-2011, 09:16 AM
I doubt we'll lose anyone to the expansion draft.

I'm hoping we trade one of our first round picks as a package deal for a proven CB and use the other pick for whoever is the best at that point. I doubt a rookie will be used as a starter.

As long as we don't have too much turnover I think we'll be looking pretty good for next season.

[NBF]
10-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Reggie Lambe, doesnt exactly say big signing, but I was sort of expecting the team to go after Issey Nakajima-Farran, he's got a 1 year deal with Brisbane Roar which ends in June 2012.

ag futbol
10-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Right, pick the one time that there's multiple teams in an expansion draft as an example for teams losing more than 1 guy.

Some real reasons for turnover:

1. Limited roster spots (Only 20 players allowed - dev didn't really count - until this year).
2. Salary cap (it's going up, but still needs work - if a player doesn't earn their keep, buh bye).
3. Lack of a reserve league (back this year - you don't keep someone around to rot on the bench).
4. SuperDraft (at least 4 new players per team, 1-2 of them being starter/bench quality, means 1-2 players have to go).
5. The epidemic of team options (contracts are usually 2 + 1 + 1, so you can just not pick up the option).

Dare I continue?

Even in off-seasons where there has been no expansion draft, the entire league has a ridiculous amount of turnover, and at the very least, those 5 things above have more of an impact on the turnover than the expansion draft does.
I'm not arguing that those things don't cause turnover. The point is that the turnover caused by the expansion draft is more avoidable than the reasons you listed above.

Ron Manager
10-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Lambe sounds like he may be an Eckersley type. A bit underrated where he has been but Mariner sees something in him.

levyashin
10-22-2011, 07:01 PM
kosic trade frei-------------eckersley(stinson)----releasecann;harden;iro;williams;vitro;get 2 quality centre backs---------morgan--release borman urrofsky------midfield we can buy out degusman at the end of this season;say$500,000 and save$1.2 million------frings;avila;meravich -----------need 1 quality mid.---------forwards to keep(koeverman plata soolsma)any more of the youngsters worth keeping.So we need the same 3-4 players since day 1

Macksam
10-23-2011, 12:02 PM
he says a lot of silly stuff. I discount his opinions.
I stopped taking that post seriously when I saw Iro starting.:facepalm:

ensco
10-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Mariner clearly trying hard to get Eckersley done
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/luke_wileman/?id=378754

Carts
10-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Mariner clearly trying hard to get Eckersley done
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/luke_wileman/?id=378754

I'm worried we could lose Ecks & Plata since their on loan - I'm hoping we can lock'em both up sooner rather than later...

Carts...

Dv23
10-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Plata, when he was scoring, and when Koov and Soolsma scored yesterday, looked so happy when he embraced his teammates in celebration. Made me think that he truly does want to stay. Not sure about Ecks' status. Haven't seen him in a while. I'm less sure about him than I am Plata.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-24-2011, 05:40 AM
im more sure about eckersley than plata only because his situation seems to be out in the open, apparently hes got a canadian gf, burnley doesnt want ti back and loves it here. Also to our advantage supposedly Plata's agent owns his rights...

Borga
10-24-2011, 09:10 AM
levyashin, what language was that?

First time I really noticed NBF... His master plan was, to say the least, absurd.

Canary10
10-24-2011, 09:19 AM
NBF is, in fact, Preki.

Wooster_TFC
10-24-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm not arguing that those things don't cause turnover. The point is that the turnover caused by the expansion draft is more avoidable than the reasons you listed above.

Out of curiosity, would you put something in place of it, or simply get rid of it?

prizby
10-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Based on what I have watched so far contract status (this list is purely based on the interviews today except for where contracts are known):

Omphroy: uncertain
Iro: out of contract; would like to say; in discussions with the club
Henry: seems to be signed
Morgan: seems to be signed
de Guzman: is signed thru 2012
Plata: loan finished; wants to come back to Toronto-still working on details
Avila: contract expired; looking to sign a new deal
Johnson: option year
Sturgis: uncertain
Cann: two (2) year contract has expired; has two (2) option years-he wasn't sure what that exactly meant
Makubuya: uncertain
Koevermans: apparently has two (2) years left
Stinson: seems to be signed
Cordon: uncertain
Bouchiba: says he will likely be back (was he given a 2 year contract)
Soolsma: signed for next year
Yourassowsky: uncertain; interview revealed nothing
Harden: option year
Griffit: uncertain
Frings: apparently has two (2) years left
Dunfield: uncertain; wants to talk with manager and see from there; wouldn't speak to whether he has an option or not
Frei: option year; staying in Toronto is up to the coaches
Borman: contract expired; made no indication that he really wanted to come back
Gold: uncertain
Eckersley: loan finished; uncertain; 18 months left on his contract with Burnley (who have not talked with him)
Zavarise: uncertain
Davies: uncertain
Kocic: option year; up to the coaches; wants to see the team grow and be part of it
Williams: contract expired; would love to come back
Martina: uncertain
Lindsay: uncertain
Viator: uncertain
Marosevic: GA contract expired; has two (2) option years;

will continue to update as i keep watching

craigtfc
10-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Don't know if this has been brought up but I would love to have both back on board for next year.

Eckersley, Plata want extended stay with Toronto FC

TORONTO – Defender Richard Eckersley and forward Joao Plata both said Monday they are keen to stay with Toronto FC, and the feeling from TFC is mutual.
Plata (above) and Eckersley were both on loan to Toronto FC during the 2011 season, but head coach and technical director Aron Winter said he is trying to keep them.
“Of course, we’re going to try to keep them because we’re now in discussion with [Major League Soccer] and with the teams,” Winter said Monday at the club’s end-of-season media conference. “We got them on loan but we have to wait. We’re going to try to keep them, at least.”
Both first-year players in the league were among the positives on a squad that missed the league playoffs for the fifth year in a row. However they did help to salvage the season by reaching the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals to be played next March. Toronto qualified last Tuesday by beating FC Dallas 3-0 with Plata scoring twice and assisting on the first goal by Danny Koevermans.
Eckersley, 22, is on loan from the English League Championship side Burnley. Meanwhile Plata, 19, is on loan from LDU Quito in his native Ecuador and he made telling contributions for TFC, scoring three goals with five assists in 26 league games. Plata flourished in CCL play, adding four goals in five games as Toronto progressed. Eckersley played 23 league games, 22 of them starts, and six CCL games as he became a crucial member of the solid Reds defense, which gave Winter’s side the platform to lose just twice since the start of August.
Plata is hoping to extend his stay at BMO field, after enjoying an encouraging second half of the season.
“We’re definitely working on [staying with Toronto],” Plata said Monday through a translator. “I love the team, love the city and I really hope to be here next year. My agent continues to talk with both teams. I’m hoping for the best. I hope to be here next year.”
The young Ecuadorian also spoke highly of playing for Dutchman Winter.
“[He] was also a world-class soccer player so there’s a lot to learn from that,” Plata said. “Aside from that, on a personal level, he’s a very personable coach. He get’s the best out of you and I’m very happy with what he’s brought to the table.”
Eckersley, a Salford, England native, said he has not heard from his parent club and has gained a lot from his spell at TFC.
“I’ve got 18 months left on my contract at Burnley,” Eckersley said. “I’ve enjoyed my time [with Toronto FC]. It’s a great club. I think it’s going in the right direction so I think any player really, if you’re with a club like that, you want to stay. I think they’ve showed a lot more interest in me than Burnley. I have to respect that.”
The lack of communication from Burnley has left Eckersley mulling over his options on both sides of the pond.
“That’s what is probably the most disappointing thing because I don’t know, to be honest.” Eckersley said. “They’ve invested money in me and they don’t care. I don’t know. They’ve not contacted me and that’s it.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/24/eckersley-plata-want-extended-stay-toronto-fc

BeachTory
10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
At realsports he said if he plays one more game for Burnley, they have to pay a final significant sum to ManU and they have to pay wages that manu was still covering. The wage rate was a shocker - way over DP cash. That deal will end as per quote above and the amount TFC would need to kick in might exceed 300k but not be DP.

prizby
10-24-2011, 06:37 PM
At realsports he said if he plays one more game for Burnley, they have to pay a final significant sum to ManU and they have to pay wages that manu was still covering. The wage rate was a shocker - way over DP cash. That deal will end as per quote above and the amount TFC would need to kick in might exceed 300k but not be DP.

he as in mariner or he as in eckersley?

rocker
10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
I hope both are back next year. If we lose 'em, then it's back to square one at two positions that were more than adequately filled by their shoes this year. And right back in particular has been a problem spot forever.

TheFallen
10-24-2011, 07:52 PM
we're screwed if we don't retain them and have them as part of the core moving forward

Dreadlocks
10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Frings uncertain? I thought he signed for 2 years like Koevermans

rocker
10-24-2011, 09:48 PM

yep. signed for 2.5, as did Koev.

So we have 2 more full seasons at least of Frings and Koev.

Red CB Toronto
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Frings flew home to Germany after the game and hanging with the fans at the 90(h Minute Party to enjoy some down time with his family.

prizby
10-24-2011, 11:27 PM

he didn't speak at the presser thats all

yep. signed for 2.5, as did Koev.

So we have 2 more full seasons at least of Frings and Koev.

good to know :)

prizby
10-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Frings flew home to Germany after the game and hanging with the fans at the 90(h Minute Party to enjoy some down time with his family.

i know family is important and stuff, but you'd think you'd want to have your club captain around for the closing season interviews

gracos
10-25-2011, 12:10 AM
I found it strange that Frings went home immediately and didnt stay for post season interviews, hopefully his family in Germany is alright.

__wowza
10-25-2011, 07:40 AM
let me just start of by saying that i take extreme pleasure in the fact that this thread may, in fact, be quieter than in previous years.

gmacpheetfc
10-25-2011, 08:57 AM
What about Jamie Peters?

Detroit_TFC
10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I found it strange that Frings went home immediately and didnt stay for post season interviews, hopefully his family in Germany is alright.

Yeah strange from our point of view, but this is his first playing assignment outside of Germany, probably used to seeing his family everyday and now hasn't been home for months. I can't blame him for wanting to get back ASAP.

prizby
10-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah strange from our point of view, but this is his first playing assignment outside of Germany, probably used to seeing his family everyday and now hasn't been home for months. I can't blame him for wanting to get back ASAP.

i thought his family had moved with him

Waggy
10-25-2011, 10:17 AM
i thought his family had moved with him

His wife and kids did. Siblings, parents, cousins, in laws etc prob did not. I can see a guy who's never played outside the country being homesick after being away from home for the first time ever for 3-4 months. It's understandable. Besides, it's getting cold. I could go for a vacation too lol. Hope he tells his bundesliga friends nothing but amazing things about Toronto.

ag futbol
10-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I think Mariner + Winter should take the annual "Mo Johnston" trip down to South America, except they should actually scout players we can use.

Skip brazil, definitely hit Columbia and some of the smaller leagues.

Hold the stories about getting Corinthians' 18 year old 15M EUR striker as your DP.

Yohan
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
MLS picked up some decent Brazilians this year...

ensco
10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Frings is doing this on his terms, not ours. He gave us a full effort on the field, but that's all he wants to do. Better to realize that.

It's fine by me.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
big deal, dude went back home to visit fam, im more than certain the FO gave their approval and rightfully so. we love to make mountains outta molehills here

ag futbol
10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
MLS picked up some decent Brazilians this year...
Actually now that you mention it, I take it back. There were quite a few loan deals that worked out for MLS teams (FCD and LA Galaxy come to mind).

Auzzy
10-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I just wanted to mention, Mariner clearly said that they would prefer to keep both Kocic and Frei -- see end of the article http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/24/tfc-has-two-goalies-one-net

TFC has team options for next season on both players and would prefer to use them.

“There is a lot of pressure on the goalkeepers within the system,” said director of player development Paul Mariner.

“When you are going cross-border all the time, playing 50 odd games, it really does take a toll on (the) body.

“We’re going to try (to keep both of them). You’re well off with both.”

Obviously, that's if possible -- and he also mentions the difficulty of the salary cap a couple of times in various articles, for issues such as keeping Eckersley, and having decent depth at every position.

brad
10-26-2011, 07:27 AM
i know family is important and stuff, but you'd think you'd want to have your club captain around for the closing season interviews

Some of the media were talking about this on Twitter. Apparently Frings isn't doing interviews right now because he is uncomfortable with his English. It's apparently better than he gives himself credit for - but that's the reason.

prizby
10-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Some of the media were talking about this on Twitter. Apparently Frings isn't doing interviews right now because he is uncomfortable with his English. It's apparently better than he gives himself credit for - but that's the reason.

Frings has had a translator before...plata/yourassowsky had one too...again thats a poor excuse when they have used translators in the past

Canary10
10-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Is there a realistic chance of keeping Eckersley? I'm not sure there is. The money in the Championship is DP money in the MLS.

ag futbol
10-26-2011, 10:23 AM
^ but the thing is, he's not established as a Championship player, so why would we pay him championship wages? The club doesn't rate him, and all the teams that took him on loan were league two or league one.

Providing he's wiling to take on a reasonable salary, I think TFC should be able to come up with the allocation money to pay his transfer fee. All said and done, it would probably be half the amount we paid for Pablo Vitti.

TFC_Junky
10-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Anyone heard anything on this guy? Quotes from Paul Mariner in the article but I haven't heard anything.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=19429

prizby
10-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Anyone heard anything on this guy? Quotes from Paul Mariner in the article but I haven't heard anything.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=19429

i don't see any quotes by paul mariner

TFC_Junky
10-26-2011, 10:37 AM
i don't see any quotes by paul mariner

my bad, the quote was from Paul Scope. Does seem like Mariner is keen on getting this...

prizby
10-26-2011, 12:03 PM
mariner hasn't said nothing...the bermuda guy is hyping up one of his own countryman...until he is signed, i don't see anything to it

brad
10-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Is there a realistic chance of keeping Eckersley? I'm not sure there is. The money in the Championship is DP money in the MLS.

He might possibly be on high wages for the Championship. He signed to Burnley when the where in the EPL and when he was still wanted by Man Utd, which points to higher wages than standard Championship ones.

There may have been relgation clause in the contract to scale the wages back though.

Dv23
10-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm not worried about the whole Frings going home situation. I have a German professor this year and we basically learn about German society half the time in lecture. They're a very close people and Germany always comes first to them. Whatever. As long as he's happy here, and will be back soon, I'm happy.

Stouffville_RPB
10-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Frings comes here kicks ass, leads the team, motivates everyone to play their best, and brings it on the training ground and in game. If he is that committed and effective I don't care if he's on the first flight back home when the season ends.

ag futbol
10-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm no rocket scientist, but this suggests to me only one of Frei / Kocic is coming back next year (despite some direct quotes from PM).

http://www.futsalcanada.ca/index.php/news/canadian-futsal-news/328-futsal-canadas-roy-blanche-is-on-trial-with-toronto-fc

Oldtimer
10-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm no rocket scientist, but this suggests to me only one of Frei / Kocic is coming back next year (despite some direct quotes from PM).

http://www.futsalcanada.ca/index.php/news/canadian-futsal-news/328-futsal-canadas-roy-blanche-is-on-trial-with-toronto-fc

Many squads have 3 GKs. It doesn't necessarily indicate anything of the sort (although it could).

Stouffville_RPB
10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
It only says he's trialing. That's very different from signing. If you trial him and he is worth a spot on the roster you have 2 keepers that have shown their ability within the league that can be shopped for other pieces to help the squad.

moralis
10-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Looks like Junior Burgos (2011 second or third round pick) will join TFC for a possible trial. I think that's what this Spanish tweet says. My Spanish is not that good.

http://twitter.com/#!/francosy

@juniorburgos10 (http://twitter.com/#%21/juniorburgos10) entrará en planes de Aron Winter para '12 con el #TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TorontoFC) tras conseguir perm. de trabajo. #mls (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23mls) #salvadorenosenelexterior (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23salvadorenosenelexterior)

21 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/francosy/status/129355028233330688) via Twitter for Android (http://twitter.com/download/android)

http://twitter.com/#!/juniorburgos1

good things happen to those who wait!! Patience

21 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/juniorburgos10/status/129354777334267905) via web

JuliquE
10-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Frings has had a translator before...plata/yourassowsky had one too...again thats a poor excuse when they have used translators in the past
My German can use a bit of work, but even I don't feel he's always had the best representation via his translator and it's a shame; in German, he really is quite gracious and it just doesn't come across the same way.

Yohan
10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
My German can use a bit of work, but even I don't feel he's always had the best representation via his translator and it's a shame; in German, he really is quite gracious and it just doesn't come across the same way.
it's partially because people don't know how to use translators properly. say like a sentence of two at a time, wait for translation, then continue on.

so the translator doesn't get overwhelmed trying to remember ten sentences and then convert them into another language. you lose little of your meaning this way

jimiv
10-27-2011, 05:39 PM

My wife speaks German and she translates for me. She says the same thing about his interviews, however, sometimes the translator will put a positive spin on stuff that he issues with.

JuliquE
10-27-2011, 05:39 PM

I've got to say that, from the interviews, it seemed like the two already had a feeling they wouldn't both be here in 2012.. whether that be from having been explicitly told, off the record, by the coaches (asked to keep it hush, for now) or just from the signs -- Kocic playing in spite of Frei's return to fitness and now this new trial we're hearing of.

Something about Frei's demeanour, when asked about whether he wanted to stay with the club, seemed off, for me. The same could be said for Kocic, but in a more positive/happy way.

Anyone else get this feeling, from watching the interviews?

Would hurt to lose either, at this point.. as it's a great problem to have and both are great characters and team-players.

Auzzy
10-27-2011, 05:44 PM
^ I think it may just be, because Frei hasn't played lately, even after his injury had healed. So you can see him being a bit down or subdued, after being the undisputed #1 for so long.

Just a reminder of what Mariner said in this article: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/24/tfc-has-two-goalies-one-net

TFC has team options for next season on both players and would prefer to use them.

“There is a lot of pressure on the goalkeepers within the system,” said director of player development Paul Mariner.

“When you are going cross-border all the time, playing 50 odd games, it really does take a toll on (the) body.

“We’re going to try (to keep both of them). You’re well off with both.”

I bet they would like to keep both -- but it's prudent to investigate your options, in case they need to make a trade or clear some cap space to get specific players.

JuliquE
10-27-2011, 05:45 PM
it's partially because people don't know how to use translators properly. say like a sentence of two at a time, wait for translation, then continue on.

so the translator doesn't get overwhelmed trying to remember ten sentences and then convert them into another language. you lose little of your meaning this way
To be fair, I've noticed that a bit, as well.. but I don't think he's near as bad as some, with that sort of thing -- once in awhile, if memory serves or he'll do it for one sentence and then get a hint that his translator might be struggling.

Auzzy
10-27-2011, 05:51 PM

A good simultaneous translator can handle that no problem -- but yeah TFC probably doesn't have one of those for post-game interviews.

ag futbol
10-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I like them both too, but it seems a little luxurious to have two very capable keepers in a league where some teams are struggling mightily at the spot, and TFC still needs increased quality at other positions.

First thing I'd do is call Vancouver and see if they want to swap one for chiumiento, who they probably consider surplus at this point.

Auzzy
10-27-2011, 10:00 PM
I think Winter/Mariner have said, they're hoping to find a good CB within MLS. Does anybody know a team that has an extra CB (that is good), but really needs a good goalie?

ensco
10-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I think Winter/Mariner have said, they're hoping to find a good CB within MLS. Does anybody know a team that has an extra CB (that is good), but really needs a good goalie?

DCU needs a GK. Brandon McDonald isn't extra, but he's solid. Why we couldn't get in on it when he was moved (SJ moved him to DC for an allocation in June, when there was talk he might be trying Europe next year) is beyond me.

prizby
10-28-2011, 07:40 AM
DCU needs a GK. Brandon McDonald isn't extra, but he's solid. Why we couldn't get in on it when he was moved (SJ moved him to DC for an allocation in June, when there was talk he might be trying Europe next year) is beyond me.

DC has Billy Hamid who has been called up to the US National Team the last couple times to back-up Tim Howard

ManUtd4ever
10-28-2011, 07:46 AM
I think TFC should keep Frei and Kocic. Depth in goal is a wonderful problem to have, and it will provide insurance in one of the most crucial areas of the pitch. Winter can rotate them to start the season next year and play the hot hand when necessary based on their form.

Wooster_TFC
10-28-2011, 09:42 AM
In an MLS context, you aren't likely to get much for a keeper, it's just "too easy" to get an MLS calibre keeper.

Oldtimer
10-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Shortly after making his debut for Toronto FC (http://bleacherreport.com/toronto-fc) in 2009, Stefan Frei became the first-choice keeper and hasn't looked back since.
Though the team has never been able to make the playoffs, Frei has proven to be a certifiable cornerstone of the team.
He has become, without question, one of the top goalkeepers in the MLS. Even with recent competition from friend and Toronto teammate Milos Kocic, Frei has managed to keep his stock up and is looking ready to make a switch to the Old Continent.
He is a great shot-stopper, making unbelievable first- and second-chance opportunity saves. While his box presence could still use some work—as he tends to get lost on set pieces—there is no ceiling on his potential. The only questions are when and where.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/914273-major-league-soccer-players-with-a-future-in-europe/page/4

Oldtimer
10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
As undersized as they come, Plata hasn't let his physical limitations stop him from being a force in the MLS.
Plata isn't owned by the MLS, having been loaned out from his home club LDU Quito (Ecuador). He has taken well to the system in place in Toronto, however, and makes up for his small stature with his high work rate.
The point needs to be made though.
What is the smallest player around doing playing in such a physical league? Surely Plata would have less limitation and issues playing in a less-athletic league. Nevertheless, Plata still manages to be a difference maker, but as he grows up his quality will not be unnoticed.
His size will not hold him back, a move to Europe is inevitable and if he chooses the right league, like a Eredivisie, he could be successful.
I cannot wait till the day they pull out the Lion King cele and do a Rafiki Circle of Life hold up with the little man.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/914273-major-league-soccer-players-with-a-future-in-europe/page/8

Canary10
10-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I like Frei a lot, and hope he stays. Especially given how much he was hung out to dry in some games this year, like home agains Philadelphia. He deserves to share in TFC's success when it comes more than anyone else on the team in my opinion.

I don't think he's Europe bound though. As much as I like him, I don't think he's at that level.

__wowza
10-28-2011, 02:15 PM
21 January – 15 April: the countdown is on for the transfer window.

Canary10
10-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Can players be signed before that?

ensco
10-28-2011, 03:15 PM
DC has Billy Hamid who has been called up to the US National Team the last couple times to back-up Tim Howard

Not sure it means he's an elite GK. Those callups shocked the hell out of everyone, most of all Hamid.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/05/kick-us-keeper-thought-klinsmann-was-telemarketer

oxygenatedbrain
10-28-2011, 03:29 PM
finalmente recibi hoy mi tarjeta de residencia permanente de los estados unidos. Gracias a dios. ahora me enfoco en el futbol.

Junior Burgos finally gets his permanent resident status; he can now leave and re-enter the US, not only to come here, but to play for El Salvador...another wide left player with promise.

Alonso
10-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Its the same with the Spanish translations, they are not direct translations, they are "basically what he is saying is...", and my Spanish isn't even that great but I can totally pick up on it. Whole thoughts are missing some times.

It totally takes away from the personality of the interviewee.

Alonso
10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I've got to say that, from the interviews, it seemed like the two already had a feeling they wouldn't both be here in 2012.. whether that be from having been explicitly told, off the record, by the coaches (asked to keep it hush, for now) or just from the signs -- Kocic playing in spite of Frei's return to fitness and now this new trial we're hearing of.

Something about Frei's demeanour, when asked about whether he wanted to stay with the club, seemed off, for me. The same could be said for Kocic, but in a more positive/happy way.

Anyone else get this feeling, from watching the interviews?

Would hurt to lose either, at this point.. as it's a great problem to have and both are great characters and team-players.

Completely.

At one point at the end of the interview Kocic goes on about "who ever stays will forge a similar relationship with the next 2nd string keeper".

Seems to me like he basically spilled the beans... One of them ain't coming back.

prizby
10-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Not sure it means he's an elite GK. Those callups shocked the hell out of everyone, most of all Hamid.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/05/kick-us-keeper-thought-klinsmann-was-telemarketer

at his age...he still has a lot of progressing to do...that will only happen by playing more games...Ben Olsen will be more than happy to do so; thats why they traded Troy Perkins away

sidvan
10-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Ultimately the only thing the previous regime did right was to have three goalkeepers and loan Kocic out for the year to SWE of the CSL. Got lots of game experience and could still train with the big club or academy. Not saying that is what happens here but it wouldn't be a bad thing.

prizby
11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Seems like Matt Gold will not be back next year.

http://twitter.com/#!/mattgoald/status/132443923397353472

It's not often we have the opportunity for God to blatantly point us to the next stage of our life. Todays one of those days. #notincharge (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23notincharge)

http://twitter.com/#!/mattgoald/status/132572848920346624

@soccercanada (http://twitter.com/#%21/soccercanada) @StephGunther (http://twitter.com/#%21/StephGunther) my two favorite fans! Haha thanks for asking but yeh won't be back. Thanks for the love this season, take care!

that's a shame...I really liked him; would have liked to seen what a couple years of developing him might have accomplished

prizby
11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Demetrius Omphroy will also not be back next year :(

http://twitter.com/#!/MeatyTwit/status/132637718999080960 (http://twitter.com/#%21/MeatyTwit/status/132637718999080960)

It's been a great year. I'm definitely going to miss Toronto. Genuine people, amazing city, incredible fans. Thanks for the memories :) #TFC (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23TFC)
http://twitter.com/#!/MeatyTwit/status/132640003087015936 (http://twitter.com/#%21/MeatyTwit/status/132640003087015936)

@like_a_BOSS258 (http://twitter.com/#%21/like_a_BOSS258) @prizby (http://twitter.com/#%21/prizby) unfortunately I won't be returning. :( But I'm keeping my head high and will keep workin hard.

i remember watching some crappy stream from a preseason tournament...his crossing ability was unreal; so much curve

Detroit_TFC
11-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Wow. Very surprised about Omphroy, seemed like the training staff had him on longterm development project. Guess we will be seeing some new faces in 2012 after all.

Auzzy
11-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow is right. Very surprised about Omphroy. I hope all is well with his health.

I guess it's good for the guys that they know where they're at early & can start making new plans...? Seems earlier than normal to be releasing players, doesn't it?

Ossington Mental Youth
11-04-2011, 11:22 PM
prob to the players benefits tho

prizby
11-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Wow is right. Very surprised about Omphroy. I hope all is well with his health.

I guess it's good for the guys that they know where they're at early & can start making new plans...? Seems earlier than normal to be releasing players, doesn't it?

i think both were at one of the pub crawls...i hope they weren't just told today; good on omphroy to show up last night

its good that if they were going to be released, that they were released now; it gives them a better chance to find a new club and instead of getting released say in January or March.

Wish them succcess and thanks for being such great ambassadors to the club!

Special shout out to Omphroy who btw was nominated by Toronto FC for Humanatarian of the Year

AlanO
11-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Matt Gold was way down the depth chart in a crowded midfield. Not a big surprise that he was released.

Omphroy though... kinda expected him to stay. He's a RB/RW - two positions that are pretty thin right now. Maybe it's a hint that Ecks is staying? :)

Good luck to both of them, hope they can continue their professional careers somewhere else.

Oldtimer
11-05-2011, 08:42 AM
We expected some tinkering, and in particular Winter said that he needed to add depth because of the CCL, which probably means that Winter and Mariner have some quality players in mind.

Hope that both these players will do well in whatever they do. Maybe Matt Gold will move on to whatever he studied in college, Omphroy may catch on with another team.

LesH
11-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I very much regret that Omphroy did not get the chance to play even a single minute in a first team's official game... :(

Island Man
11-05-2011, 05:22 PM
I very much regret that Omphroy did not get the chance to play even a single minute in a first team's official game... :(

He did play about a minute or 2!

http://www.torontofc.ca/players/demitrius-omphroy

nfitz
11-05-2011, 05:54 PM
He did play about a minute or 2!
Yes, he came on in the 89th minute in our MLS game against Vancouver on June 29th (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/06/soolsma-seals-it-toronto). Though that's after many had fled to get a jump to get out of the parking lots.

rocker
11-05-2011, 06:09 PM
No loss with these two moves... other than a relatively high draft pick that didn't work out (in Omphroy).

Funny how Plata was drafted after Omphroy but had a massively better year.

Yohan
11-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Not really. Nobody wanted a shot on a kid on one yr loan to mls

brad
11-05-2011, 06:58 PM

Was it that an not his size? Maybe a little of both.

rocker
11-05-2011, 08:21 PM

I doubt anyone would have predicted our first pick would have hardly played and would have been gone at the end of the season... same with our #2 pick.... and that the #4 pick would have been the best of the bunch.
If TFC had thought that, they wouldn't have picked Omphroy, Gold, and Burgos ahead of Plata.
They got lucky in the draft, really.

Without Plata coming into his own, it would have been an awful, awful draft by any measure.

prizby
11-05-2011, 09:00 PM
^if you read the previous page, seems like tfc just waiting for burgos to get a green card-he might be in the fold next year

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Management couldn't have thought too much of Omphroy as a defender in that they were trying to change him into a forward. I didn't think much at all of Gold. I wish them both the best of luck and applaud them for being classy in the tweet / facebook sendoffs.

It will be interesting to see what the team does in the draft, clearly they don't seem to rate older NCAA players very highly at all.

Red CB Toronto
11-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Management couldn't have thought too much of Omphroy as a defender in that they were trying to change him into a forward. I didn't think much at all of Gold. I wish them both the best of luck and applaud them for being classy in the tweet / facebook sendoffs.

It will be interesting to see what the team does in the draft, clearly they don't seem to rate older NCAA players very highly at all.

It is really coming clear that the college draft is becoming secondary to Winter and company compared to youth development within the academy. Also I find it interesting that the league reduced the super draft to two rounds from three but left the supplemental draft at four rounds.

jloome
11-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I believe he's getting rid of players who he sees as emphasizing their character or interests over those of the team, which is why American players in particular are going -- they see the style of football they play as normal (as evidenced by Peterson and Gordon comments after leaving) and thus are less adaptable to being cogs in a system of interchangeable positions.

rocker
11-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I believe he's getting rid of players who he sees as emphasizing their character or interests over those of the team, which is why American players in particular are going -- they see the style of football they play as normal (as evidenced by Peterson and Gordon comments after leaving) and thus are less adaptable to being cogs in a system of interchangeable positions.

I also wonder if age is a factor. If Winter is happy with what's coming up from the academy, why would he devote roster spots to somewhat "overage" American prospects like Gold and Omphroy. Omphroy will be 23 next spring. Gold will be 24 next summer. I doubt they will be starters by that time. Perhaps Winter feels these guys just don't have what it takes yet to fit the system at their ages -- and may never get there; meanwhile, some of these teenage academy boys are doing exactly what Winter wants. Stinson and Cordon already show more promise than Gold or Omphroy. These two might turn out to be fine MLS players, but they need a few years to play and develop.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
wouldnt be surprised if it was a bit of both

ag futbol
11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
There's a video on OSA touchline TV (credit to V's poster for finding this) where Dichio talks about the year for the academy.

Says "hopefully" Vukovic will be signed to go pro. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's a very high probability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qhw6qn52yQ&feature=youtube_gdata

prizby
11-07-2011, 09:13 AM
I just want to point out that there are more days between today til preseason starts, then there were days in Kim Kardashian's marraige

ensco
11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I just want to point out that there are more days between today til preseason starts, then there were days in Kim Kardashian's marraige

Heard a funny joke from a friend in the UK on how the new measurement unit for marriages is the "Kardashian". 72 days is almost exactly 1/5 of a year. So 10 years of marriage is 50 "kardashians"

Whoop
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Not player related, but TFC related.

JeffreyCarlisle (http://twitter.com/#%21/JeffreyCarlisle) Jeff Carlisle

I've heard from multiple sources that Toronto FC has locked up Paul Mariner 2 a contract extension, ruling him out of the NE job. #Revs (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Revs) #tfc (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23tfc)

ManUtd4ever
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Not player related, but TFC related.

I thought Mariner was initially signed to a 3 year contract?

Good news in any case.

Yohan
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
TFC shouldn't be releasing anyone before expansion draft, in off chance that Mtl might take one of TFC's depth players...

Wooster_TFC
11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
TFC shouldn't be releasing anyone before expansion draft, in off chance that Mtl might take one of TFC's depth players...

No shit. But this is on the players, not the team. Good on the team to tell them well in advance that they would not be getting new contracts, but poor form from the players to out it publicly.

I wonder if that's part of it here, and maybe why Tchani got shipped out. You don't air the team's business on a personal twitter account.

Canary10
11-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Vancouver released a bunch of players too I believe.

Wooster_TFC
11-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Interesting, maybe there's a deadline before the expansion draft for picking up options?

That said, I doubt Gold or Omphroy were on Montreals radar.

Yohan
11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Interesting, maybe there's a deadline before the expansion draft for picking up options?

That said, I doubt Gold or Omphroy were on Montreals radar.
probably not. but this is MLS we're talking about

ecospice
11-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Vancouver released a bunch of players too I believe.

...well...considering how poorly vancouver showed I am not sure I would call them 'players', perhaps people who happened to be on the team...:D

Canary10
11-09-2011, 02:35 PM
I was just thinking that LA has two very good goalkeepers. Wondering if they'll protect them both for the expansion draft, and whether that works into TFC's thinking about who to protect. Chances are Montreal may end up with a pretty good goalkeeper.

nfitz
11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
In terms of protecting keepers ...

Protecting both of them doesn't seem worth while, as we probably only need one of them.

But what would their value be on the European market? Might it be a better decision to protect them both, then sell one?

Canary10
11-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Protecting both of them doesn't seem worth while, as we probably only need one of them.

But what would their value be on the European market? Might it be a better decision to protect them both, then sell one?

Also trade value. A number of teams need a starting keeper next year (Seattle, New York). One of LA's will be gone in a heartbeat if they're unprotected.

Yohan
11-09-2011, 03:00 PM

I don't think Josh Saunders has value in European market, though American keepers tend to do well in Europe. Donovan Ricketts is too old for Europe.

LA will protect both keepers, because Ricketts is getting old, and he's been injury prone this season.

I'm not sure if Mtl would take a keeper, because they have Evan Bush, and Bill Gaudette (you may remember him as that guy who had a lot of antics during CCL game vs Puerto Rico Islanders few years ago) who is coming back from injury. (if Gaudette is signed) Greg Sutton may also be on their radar, and he's had a history with Impact

Yohan
11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Also trade value. A number of teams need a starting keeper next year (Seattle, New York). One of LA's will be gone in a heartbeat if they're unprotected.
LA might leave one of the keepers open, because they have way more important players to protect

prizby
11-09-2011, 03:52 PM
LA might be one of those teams that says hey Montreal; $5,000 allocation for one of these 4 or 5 players (hand them a list). If Montreal likes one of the 4 or 5, then LA comes back and says, oh and you promise not to touch one of our players...looking at LA's roster; that seems like what I'd do in Arena's shoes

Yohan
11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
LA might be one of those teams that says hey Montreal; $5,000 allocation for one of these 4 or 5 players (hand them a list). If Montreal likes one of the 4 or 5, then LA comes back and says, oh and you promise not to touch one of our players...looking at LA's roster; that seems like what I'd do in Arena's shoes
Mo did that with Jason Kreis and RSL. traded Kreis back to RSL for allocation during expansion draft

iy12l
11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
I heard this season he scored 18 goals in the CSL (top scorer) and hes only 18. Im pretty sure Winter is gonna give him a pro contract, and i cant wait to see him play next season. what do u guys think about him?

London
11-15-2011, 07:59 AM
he is a natural goal scorer like dero but is not selfish at all.

i seen half of the goals in person, quality

TFC need to give him a fair shot, not leave him out to dry like lombardo

Oldtimer
11-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Vukovic is on the U19 senior squad for TFC Academy. Given Winter's focus on youth development, I wouldn't call it surprising at all.

Oldtimer
11-15-2011, 08:16 AM
TFC need to give him a fair shot, not leave him out to dry like lombardo

To be fair, Lombardo's tenure with TFC predated the academy. As well, he was played due to injuries, not by choice, at a time when MLS rosters were much smaller.

I think that the players coming up through the academy today face a totally different situation than under Mo as coach in 2007.

prizby
11-16-2011, 12:06 AM
at the town hall, (this was before the last reserve game), Winter told me he was impressed with Vukovic's performances with the Academy, but commented on how he had not performed well with the reserves up to that point

iy12l
11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
at the town hall, (this was before the last reserve game), Winter told me he was impressed with Vukovic's performances with the Academy, but commented on how he had not performed well with the reserves up to that point

hes the top scorer in tfc for the reserve games. anyways i think him and koevermans will score a lot of goals next season

Dudebroguy
11-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Frei to Red Bulls

http://www.mls-rumors.net/21095/2011/11/report-torontos-stefan-frei-to-replace-red-bulls-rost

ArmenJBX
11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Rumour has it Frei is off to NYRB

Canary10
11-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Who might we get for him if that's true? For all the flack Tim Ream has gotten this year, I'd take him. Good with the ball at his feet. He's the kind of player who would do well in Winter's system I think. Not holding my breath of course...

Yohan
11-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Who might we get for him if that's true? For all the flack Tim Ream has gotten this year, I'd take him. Good with the ball at his feet. He's the kind of player who would do well in Winter's system I think. Not holding my breath of course...
Soler would get crucified if he only got Frei for Ream. Frei and 1st round pick for Ream however, is more fair trade.

Though I think if this rumour is true, I think a return in allocation is more likely

Wooster_TFC
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Ream is reportedly getting a lot of interest from Europe, so I don't think he'd be a part of this deal.

KGH
11-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I assume Ream has the standard 2+2 MLS contract so him for frei and their 1st rounder back - done.

The only other trade that would make me sport wood all winter would be Juan Agudelo.

Best part about a trade with NY would be that those players would be available against LA.

Canary10
11-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Soler would get crucified if he only got Frei for Ream. Frei and 1st round pick for Ream however, is more fair trade.

Though I think if this rumour is true, I think a return in allocation is more likely

We could trade them back their first round pick we got from them in the DeRo trade!

I don't necesarily believe these rumours, but I'm suffering from TFC withdrawal so it's fun to play.

iy12l
11-16-2011, 11:41 AM
we should get teemu tainio, he played for ajax too recently

Darlofletch
11-16-2011, 12:17 PM
we should get teemu tainio, he played for ajax too recently

now that's an option that makes a bit more sense than Ream. think we''d need to give up quite a bit extra to get Ream.

I think the fact is that that there's plenty of decent mls level goalies out there, see how Kocic, macmath or saunders were able to step in and not be much of a dropoff from frie, mondragon or ricketts.

frei's better than the average MLS goalie, but I don't think there's that big of a difference to be getting a stud back.

Simiar to Tchani, decent player and all sorts of potential, but not a massive improvement over a lot of mls midfielders, so Iro was probably best we could get there. Just Frei, it's be probably the same sort of deal we'd get back. I'd guess Ream would require a lot more.

would be fun though, how much would usmnt fans freak if ream got traded into our defensive chaos, probabyl wouldn't be that good for his development.

ManUtd4ever
11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I would hate to see Frei get traded, but due to the pending expansion draft, it might make more sense to try to get maximum value for him at this point in time.

Frei has the potential to be one of the best keepers in MLS, so nothing less than a top CB in a straight swap would be an equitable return in my opinion.

mowe
11-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Frei has the potential to be one of the best keepers in MLS, so nothing less than a top CB in a straight swap would be an equitable return in my opinion.

Keep dreaming. No team is going to give up a top CB for Frei. There isn't a shortage of decent goalkeepers in this league. Personally I would just be happy with a starter in return.

prizby
11-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Keep dreaming. No team is going to give up a top CB for Frei. There isn't a shortage of decent goalkeepers in this league. Personally I would just be happy with a starter in return.

you don't think if we shipped say our later first round pick and Frei to Seattle for say Hurtado, that might not be a possibility?

swan
11-16-2011, 02:19 PM
what are we the arsenal of the mls keep getting rid of our best players to the other clubs.. no way to this for me..

Whoop
11-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Frei is the only player on the team that could get anything useful for TFC in a trade.

Canary10
11-16-2011, 02:30 PM
what are we the arsenal of the mls keep getting rid of our best players to the other clubs.. no way to this for me..

We have a bigger hole to fill in the central defence (and secondarily on the right wing) than we do in goal. If we can trade one of our two excellent keepers to properly fill that need I'd do it.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I hope they're look at Joel Lindpere - not a whole lot else there I'd trade Frei for. Also, I though the feeling was that Frei was Europe bound.

Whoop
11-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I hope they're look at Joel Lindpere - not a whole lot else there I'd trade Frei for. Also, I though the feeling was that Frei was Europe bound.

That was always the rumour from TFC supporters "we should enjoy him because he's going to Europe."

Much like Marvell Wynne.

I don't think Frei is going to Europe any time soon, at least not to a top flight division club.

Yohan
11-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Why would TFC go for Tainio, a DM?

Lindpere would make me salivate

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
That was always the rumour from TFC supporters "we should enjoy him because he's going to Europe."

Much like Marvell Wynne.

I don't think Frei is going to Europe any time soon, at least not to a top flight division club.

I guess it depends how you mean that. I don't think he's ready for the premier league, Italy, Spain, Germany, or even France, but there's a lot of big teams out there he could play for outside the top leagues. Maybe a move to Switzerland or maybe Holland?

__wowza
11-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Much like Marvell Wynne.

i made this argument last season and i will here again, keepers have a higher shelf life than any other position in this game. with us, frei has faced more shots than any other keeper over the past season 2 years running and YES, that's including his injury.

he's getting more league training from playing first string with us and our shambled defense than he'd get anywhere else. in his time at TFC ive only ever seen him fumble the ball once (robbos goal for the NYRB), and can count less than fingers on my right hand the number of times i can look at a goal and say "he shouldve had that".

i like kocic, he's hot right now and his loan spell to the white eagles did wonders for him, but it's either him or frei in my books. once we fix the defense i see no use in keeping a solid keeper as a backup when we hurt for depth in so many other aspects of our game.

from what ive read in the media and speaking to him personally, he says itd be a dream for him to play for the national team, but the swiss international keepers are playing at higher levels and the youngest is older than him by 2 years. if he wants out, nows the time he's going to ask for it (knowing he wont screw the team over). it probably will be overseas where he can move in immediately and work his way up.

there'd be nothing keeping him here aside from us sending him somewhere else and that squad picking up allocation money on a trade deal with a european club.

swan
11-16-2011, 03:42 PM
We have a bigger hole to fill in the central defence (and secondarily on the right wing) than we do in goal. If we can trade one of our two excellent keepers to properly fill that need I'd do it. look how good he is with crap in front of him no imagine how good he will be with a good team in front of him for once.. if a keeper has to go it's not frei..

prizby
11-16-2011, 03:57 PM

unlike arsenal, there is this thing called a salary cap, else we wouldn't have to get rid of our best players to get a #1 CB

Canary10
11-16-2011, 04:10 PM
look how good he is with crap in front of him no imagine how good he will be with a good team in front of him for once.. if a keeper has to go it's not frei..

I agree totally, he's a very good keeper. That's what makes him worth something. I don't think we lose much, if at all, in going to Kocic though. If we could trade Kocic for a high quality central defender I would do that too.

swan
11-16-2011, 04:44 PM
unlike arsenal, there is this thing called a salary cap, else we wouldn't have to get rid of our best players to get a #1 CB

salary cap really?? you must be lying... we can have a good cb without letting lose our best keeper..

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2011, 06:06 PM
not that big a deal especially if we get a CB in return, yes hes a decent keeper but christ almighty hes not the second coming as some seem to feel

Darlofletch
11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
look how good he is with crap in front of him no imagine how good he will be with a good team in front of him for once.. if a keeper has to go it's not frei..

true, he looked really good behind Preki's organised defence. 2010 stefan frei could get us something very good. 2011 he took a step back imo.

Yohan
11-16-2011, 07:43 PM
not that big a deal especially if we get a CB in return, yes hes a decent keeper but christ almighty hes not the second coming as some seem to feel
NYRB is also shopping for another CB. No way they'd give up Tim Ream for Frei (and Ream is only guy TFC should be looking at from NYRB)

Ossington Mental Youth
11-16-2011, 07:57 PM
NYRB is also shopping for another CB. No way they'd give up Tim Ream for Frei (and Ream is only guy TFC should be looking at from NYRB)

agreed, unless Henry wants to move all of a sudden :D

swan
11-16-2011, 09:15 PM
true, he looked really good behind Preki's organised defence. 2010 stefan frei could get us something very good. 2011 he took a step back imo.

a step back he held the save record the defense took a step back not frei...

ag futbol
11-16-2011, 11:51 PM
That's not true quite. They have a few guys who would be useful to TFC

Joel Lindpere(especially), Luke Rogers, Roy Miller, Dane Richards

Are any of these worth giving up for Frei? Tough to say.

Yohan
11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
That's not true quite. They have a few guys who would be useful to TFC

Joel Lindpere(especially), Luke Rogers, Roy Miller, Dane Richards

Are any of these worth giving up for Frei? Tough to say.
Rodgers is a poacher striker who has been injury prone this year. Won't fit in TFC

Roy Miller is average LB

Dane Richards has speed to burn, but inconsistent. needs to work on technique.

Other worthwhile players other than Henry, Tainio, Agudelo and Ream is Jan Gunnar Solli who I think was best RB in the league last year

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Solli's quality but he's only there on loan from RB Salzburg, so I'm not sure if they'd be looking to trade him. I'd take Agudelo, but I'd shocked if they're looking to move him. I could see Frei for Richards plus draft picks or allocation, but I'm not really sure that puts TFC in a much better position than they are now.

I'd hate to see Frei play for another MLS team. I'm hoping he goes abroad or stays with TFC.

Yohan
11-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Solli's quality but he's only there on loan from RB Salzburg, so I'm not sure if they'd be looking to trade him. I'd take Agudelo, but I'd shocked if they're looking to move him. I could see Frei for Richards plus draft picks or allocation, but I'm not really sure that puts TFC in a much better position than they are now.

I'd hate to see Frei play for another MLS team. I'm hoping he goes abroad or stays with TFC.
uh, where did you hear that solli is on loan from RB Salzburg?

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-17-2011, 01:17 AM
uh, where did you hear that solli is on loan from RB Salzburg?

Oops, wrong player. Brian Nielsen is on loan from RB Salzburg.

ag futbol
11-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Rodgers is a poacher striker who has been injury prone this year. Won't fit in TFC

Roy Miller is average LB

Dane Richards has speed to burn, but inconsistent. needs to work on technique.

Other worthwhile players other than Henry, Tainio, Agudelo and Ream is Jan Gunnar Solli who I think was best RB in the league last year
I didn't even bother mentioning any of the guys below, because I doubt we'd be able to get any of them, with the exception of Solli. It's probably unrealistic to expect Lindpere as well because he's one of their best players / bargains.

Realistically, Frei is a great shot stopper but his ability to command his box is poor and his distribution is somewhere south of average. That will probably get us similarly, a player that's not perfect but a very good part for MLS.

With the exception of Rodgers - who we'd need as a backup + secondary goal scoring threat - all of those guys would be upgrades to our starting lineup.

Yohan
11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Rodgers will end up being Maicon Santos Mk2. Poacher striker who needs a partner up front to be effective. Not to mention injury prone

ag futbol
11-17-2011, 12:41 PM
But that's ok if we're counting on him as a backup.

This team needs something behind Koevermans to hold things up because right now when he's not on the field we have trouble finding the net.

Yohan
11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
But that's ok if we're counting on him as a backup.

This team needs something behind Koevermans to hold things up because right now when he's not on the field we have trouble finding the net.
I get that TFC needs a back up striker, though I think Johnson will do if TFC finds another LW.

I just don't think Rodgers isn't the type of striker TFC should be looking for

Joe Kool
11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
I just don't like Rodgers because he seems to be a head case. Always losing his temper taking him off his game and picking up stupid cards. I don't think we need a hot head on the team.

Darlofletch
11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
a step back he held the save record the defense took a step back not frei...

sure, but he, and his ability to organise the defence, come and claim crosses, and control his penalty area, are a big part of the defence. he's part of the reason whey he had to save so many shots.

I wouldn't blame him exactly, oliver khan would have had a tough time organisising the chaos in the first half of the season, but he looked a lot better behind preki's defence when everyone knew what they were supposed to do and looked capable of doing it.

dupont
11-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Is this Frei story only from MLS Rumors or is someone actually credible backing it up?

Whoop
11-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I haven't seen it in any other sources, but there have been feelers put out there for a return on Frei seeing as TFC hasn't signed him to a new contract.

Canary10
11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't put any stock in any rumour at this point. After the MLS cup final and around the time of the expansion draft is when we'll probably start to see some real player movement. When is the expansion draft?

Whoop
11-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Next week. Hence the rumour being a little stronger than it was during the season.

Canary10
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks. When are the protection lists due to be submitted?

Whoop
11-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Monday.

Draft is Wednesday.

Canary10
11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Wow, things will move fast after the MLS final then.

Canary10
11-17-2011, 02:33 PM
I like both Frei and Kocic, but if one can be moved for either a quality centre back or a right winger I'd be happy. To me those are our gaping holes.

Canary10
11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd love to see someone with Plata's ability to unhinge defences on the right side as well.

iy12l
11-17-2011, 03:03 PM
where did u got nuno gomes from? anyways i think our acadaemy player vokovic will sign pro and be used as 2nd option for striker. i think hes better than agudelo cuz he only needs 1 chance to score just like koevermans

Canary10
11-17-2011, 03:07 PM
where did u got nuno gomes from? anyways i think our acadaemy player vokovic will sign pro and be used as 2nd option for striker. i think hes better than agudelo cuz he only needs 1 chance to score just like koevermans

Sorry, really old thread from MLS rumours that popped up as though it was current. Didn't make sense to me before I posted it, since he's like 200 years old at this point.

Whoop
11-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Funny thing is Benfica thought Nuno Gomes was washed up as well but he's now Braga's leading scorer.

*I don't want Nuno Gomes now though.

Canary10
11-17-2011, 03:11 PM
We still need another winger though. Isn't Vokovic a striker? It would be great if Nicholas Lindsay is fit. He looked like he could step into the role, at least as a sub for now.

brad
11-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I get that TFC needs a back up striker, though I think Johnson will do if TFC finds another LW.

I just don't think Rodgers isn't the type of striker TFC should be looking for

I think we'll be looking for a backup - big presence up front that can hold up play. DeKlerk talked a lot in the Town Halls about the reason were were falling into defensive shells at the end of games- and that was having no one to hold up play up front when Koeves had to come off.

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-17-2011, 04:09 PM

Vukovic better than Agudelo? I like Vukovic but that's really talking him up. Yes Vukovic has a good record as a finisher, but in the CSL. Agudelo is one of the likely lads of US soccer. Vukovic would have to sign, which I think is on the cards, and do something pretty specialist next season before you can justify calling him better than Agudelo.

ag futbol
11-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Have you seen Agudelo play? If he's as good as him I will be very happy.

He's fully capped for the USMNT

lazlo_80
11-22-2011, 01:35 PM
How good is Vukovic? You guys expect him to make the jump to the main squad this upcoming season. I haven't seen him play, just saw he was the leading scorer in the CSL.

oxygenatedbrain
11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Poached from another board:

http://depor.pe/futbol-peruano/806140/noticia-toronto-pablo-vitti-recibio-propuesta-regresar-canada

Ultra & Proud
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
http://depor.pe/futbol-peruano/806140/noticia-toronto-pablo-vitti-recibio-propuesta-regresar-canada

A google translation of a sentence in this article regarding Pablo Vitti: "The Argentine midfielder had received an interesting proposal to return to Toronto, where he played before coming to Peru."

DichioTFC
11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
More translation from Google

Is it going to Canada? Pablo Vitti has many options to return to America. The Argentine midfielder had received an interesting proposal to return to Toronto, where he played before coming to Peru. The offer of Canadians would be very good and so the cream would play in the MLS.

Vitti, before leaving, waiting for his due with 'U'. In Argentina, in addition to his salary for the last six months, we also must spend part of his letter.

At the time it said it had cost the creams just over $ 200 000. The Argentine has a contract until 2012 but if no solution is removed.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2011, 02:37 PM
i never thought he was amazing but i dont think he got used properly and as a result didnt play as well as he could. Id give him another go if he didnt cost us much. Curious to see if theres any truth to it

Ossington Mental Youth
11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
supporters seem to rate him ok from what i can tell

DichioTFC
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Btw, Pablo Vitti is his current team's #10, so if he's interested in coming back to Toronto its probably a deal we should make.

Also, what's Vitti worth? He was making $200K, he's no doubt improved considering he had 14 goals in the past couple seasons. $275K?

UltraSuperMegaMo
11-22-2011, 02:42 PM
It would be interesting to see Vitti back. Be tempted to count him as the first player to leave the team and come back (granted Hemming left and came back, but it was during the same season, and Pozniak almost came back). I wonder if it would be a loan deal?

As for a few posts above about Vukovic being ready to play for TFC next season, I can see him getting playing time here and there, but I don't see him stepping in as a starter. I think the best case scenario for him is that he has a season like Morgan did this year, establishing him starter by the end of the season.

ManUtd4ever
11-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Interesting. Pablo Vitti could be a much better fit on the current version of TFC.

prizby
11-22-2011, 03:17 PM
at the town hall, winter told me that vukovic had played well with the academy, but hadn't shown the same form with the reserves

Greatest Ripoff
11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
at the town hall, winter told me that vukovic had played well with the academy, but hadn't shown the same form with the reserves

How many reserve games did he play? Of the one I saw and the one I read about he scored 3 goals in two games. The game that I saw him in person, he was great and scored twice.

__wowza
11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
i never thought he was amazing but i dont think he got used properly and as a result didnt play as well as he could. Id give him another go if he didnt cost us much. Curious to see if theres any truth to it

i was always a believer of this. yes the league is physical, but i didnt believe the "too physical for him talk" there were a few selfish runs with the play but those were few and far between.

Voodooman
11-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Players left unprotected: Danleigh Borman, Elbekay Bouchiba, Adrian Cann, Kyle Davies, Julian de Guzman, Matt Gold, Leandre Griffit, Peri Marosevic, Javier Martina, Demitrius Omphroy, Nick Soolsma, Nathan Sturgis, Eddy Viator, Dicoy Williams, Mikael Yourasskowsky, Gianluca Zavarise.

Darlofletch
11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
well fuck, if vitti's coming back, let's get chad as well. he's available, slip montreal a 2nd rounder or something

brad
11-22-2011, 04:14 PM
i was always a believer of this. yes the league is physical, but i didnt believe the "too physical for him talk" there were a few selfish runs with the play but those were few and far between.

Same here.

We never played the ball to his feet which is what he needed.

This team would/should do that and I think he could be a very effective playe for us.

prizby
11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
How many reserve games did he play? Of the one I saw and the one I read about he scored 3 goals in two games. The game that I saw him in person, he was great and scored twice.

when did you see him play?

Oldtimer
11-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting. Pablo Vitti could be a much better fit on the current version of TFC.

I could see that.

Very interesting!

Greatest Ripoff
11-22-2011, 05:06 PM
when did you see him play?

The reserve match against NY at Downsview. Both him and Makubuya looked really good in the game.

Auzzy
11-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I could see that.

Very interesting!

Well, De Klerk & Winter did mention, how many great former TFC players they've seen playing for other teams since they got here... maybe Sam Cronin & Todd Dunivant will be next... ;)

Oldtimer
11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Well, De Klerk & Winter did mention, how many great former TFC players they've seen playing for other teams since they got here... maybe Sam Cronin & Todd Dunivant will be next... ;)

They both would be excellent choices.

I don't know why Preki never rated Cronin...

prizby
11-22-2011, 07:56 PM
The reserve match against NY at Downsview. Both him and Makubuya looked really good in the game.

that was after the town hall ;)

Detroit_TFC
11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Vitti? Again? Trying to wrap my head around that one.

brad
11-23-2011, 12:31 PM
They both would be excellent choices.

I don't know why Preki never rated Cronin...

Word floating around was that he didn't like the fact that he was a strong presence in the locker room.

backbeat
11-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Vitti? Again? Trying to wrap my head around that one.

I'd love to see Vitti back - always liked him and believed he was never given the playing time necessary to develop in the MLS - I really think his style is a great fit for the way TFC plays today.

Yohan
11-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I'd love to see Vitti back - always liked him and believed he was never given the playing time necessary to develop in the MLS - I really think his style is a great fit for the way TFC plays today.
I can totally see that. He'd make a good AM for TFC now

ag futbol
11-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Vitti had a great first year after leaving TFC, I believe he was at the very least the "club player of the year" and at the most maybe league player of the year... can't remember which.

The question in my head is cost. We spent a shitload on him the first time around. This time, I'd be willing to pay something in the 200's but not what he got last time.