PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MLS SuperDraft superthread

Pages : [1] 2

Oldtimer
10-18-2011, 11:07 AM
2012 MLS Mock Draft With 3rd 2011 College Soccer Regular Season Update

4. Toronto FC Casey Townsend Forward Maryland Senior One of the reasons Maryland’s soccer team is so successful is because of Casey Townsend. Townsend would have been a top 10 pick and Generation Adidas player in 2011 if he had opted to go pro.
Townsend returned for his senior year so he might be rewarded by getting drafted in the top 5 overall. Casey Townsend has played 15 games this year. In those 15 games Townsend has 12 goals, 2 assists, and 26 points while leading Maryland with 77 shots on goal. Townsend also has 3 game winning goals.

http://www.rantsports.com/mock-draft/2011/10/17/2012-mls-mock-draft-with-3rd-2011-college-soccer-regular-season-update/

Nuvinho
10-18-2011, 11:09 AM
10. Toronto FC from New York Red Bulls Eric Schoenle Defenseman West Virginia Junior After Andrew Jean-Baptiste and Austin Berry the best Big East center back is Eric Schoelne. Schoelne is 6 foot 4 147 pounds. He has the height, but he could put on a little weight think 5 pounds.
Connecticut travels to West Virginia this week. If the Mountaineers want to pull the upset Schoenle has to step up for WVU.
Schoenle could be a Generation Adidas Player if he comes out in 2012.

Yohan
10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Smartest thing TFC could do with these two first rounders is to trade them for a quality, proven MLS CB.

Oldtimer
10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
A good college CB might be good in building for the future. As a GA player Schoenle would count nothing under the cap.

I could see the attraction in a trade, though, provided it isn't for a Nick Garcia or a Marco Velez. Who would give up a quality CB???? They seem in pretty short supply in MLS these days.

ginkster88
10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Smartest thing TFC could do with these two first rounders is to trade them for a quality, proven MLS CB.

You mean someone like Omar Gonzalez?

I wonder how he entered the league...

Oh.

Yohan
10-18-2011, 12:09 PM

You mean someone like Omar Gonzalez?

I wonder how he entered the league...

Oh.
for every Omar Gonzalez, there are multiple Julius Jameses in a draft. it's a crap shoot with with drafts. TFC can't afford to wait out for draft picks to develop, and we need help at CB immediately

Oldtimer
10-18-2011, 12:41 PM
for every Omar Gonzalez, there are multiple Julius Jameses in a draft. it's a crap shoot with with drafts. TFC can't afford to wait out for draft picks to develop, and we need help at CB immediately

I doubt they could get a good CB in trade for a youngster or two.

What would make more sense would be to pick a CB up on a discovery, and keep their draft pick to develop.

Of course, we could conceivably have two capable CBs next year, depending on the Cann situation.

PopePouri
10-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Kinda nice that the NY didn't end up dominating this season.

Is Kyle Bekker eligible for the draft?

Yohan
10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
I doubt they could get a good CB in trade for a youngster or two.

What would make more sense would be to pick a CB up on a discovery, and keep their draft pick to develop.

Of course, we could conceivably have two capable CBs next year, depending on the Cann situation.
two first rounders esp high picks have a lot of value in MLS. add in a depth player, maybe a little allocation and you can probably get most players in MLS

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.rantsports.com/mock-draft/2011/10/17/2012-mls-mock-draft-with-3rd-2011-college-soccer-regular-season-update/

why would we grab another striker (not asking you Oldtimer, i know you know better)

10. Toronto FC from New York Red Bulls Eric Schoenle Defenseman West Virginia Junior After Andrew Jean-Baptiste and Austin Berry the best Big East center back is Eric Schoelne. Schoelne is 6 foot 4 147 pounds. He has the height, but he could put on a little weight think 5 pounds.
Connecticut travels to West Virginia this week. If the Mountaineers want to pull the upset Schoenle has to step up for WVU.
Schoenle could be a Generation Adidas Player if he comes out in 2012.

Dude seems pretty skinny for a CB, im 6'2 and 180 and I think id be too skinny, kids the size of my brother (who needs to eat a sandwich or two btw)

KGH
10-18-2011, 02:16 PM

I disagree. If we can pick up a couple good GA kids and keep their salaries off the books for 4 years why wouldn't we? Even if we're picking up 2 kids deeper down the roster 12-18 we end up creating at least an additional 100k of cap room.

Yohan
10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I disagree. If we can pick up a couple good GA kids and keep their salaries off the books for 4 years why wouldn't we? Even if we're picking up 2 kids deeper down the roster 12-18 we end up creating at least an additional 100k of cap room.
I don't know if Winter and Mariner changed their mind, but last I checked, they were looking for CBs within MLS. Like I said, TFC needs CB help now, and can't afford to wait like two years for a draft pick to develop

werewolf
10-18-2011, 02:25 PM

I would rather we had Julius James then Andy Iro and Danleigh Borman (and I like Borman).

golasogolaso
10-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Kinda nice that the NY didn't end up dominating this season.

Is Kyle Bekker eligible for the draft?

Saw this on topdrawer website today. Its a cracker of a goal for sure. http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminute/2011/10/boston-colleges-kyle-bekker-scores-off-a-nasty-shot/

As for his status, hes an underclassmen so with a pre-agreed contract (GenAdidas) he could enter draft. Does him training with TFC this past summer, and prior relationship with Winter/Deklerk mean anything.....I dont know?

But in general you look for the best underclassmen available and get him on GA deal.

KGH
10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't know if Winter and Mariner changed their mind, but last I checked, they were looking for CBs within MLS. Like I said, TFC needs CB help now, and can't afford to wait like two years for a draft pick to develop

With the 2 GA picks grab a CB to be developed and a back up goalie.

Trade Frei straight up for a solid CB. Use the $100k saved with the 2 GA contracts and Frei's to cover the contract of this new CB.

A Stick
10-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Just pick the two best players available. TFC can pick up a quality older European or South American CB that should be serviceable for 2 or 3 years and not be a DP. They now have enough good connections that they should be able to pick up 3 foreigners and fit them under the cap.

The thought of trading Frei though is an intriguing one. TFC could definitely get a couple of quality players for him.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2011, 05:34 PM
yeah i got enough faith in our FO now that we wont have to depend on drafts or trades to fill slots. Theyve done well enough to bring people in and i have no doubt they are looking and will bring the players (CBs) we need

jloome
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I would rather we had Julius James then Andy Iro and Danleigh Borman (and I like Borman).

I wouldn't. James has great physical tools but his game read is awful. He's out of position a lot, and if it wasn't for the team in front of him and Chad Marshall beside him, he'd look even worse. He was lousy at TFC, he was lousy at DC, he's still lousy.

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I wouldnt at all, people seem to forget how terribly inept James was

deschamp86
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Babayele Sodade (1990) may be one to look for. Has 12 goals and 5 assists in 18 games for UAB.

http://www.uabsports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/sodade_babayele00.html

prizby
11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
if the releases we have made are any indication, looks like winter and co. prefer teenagers not young 20 something year olds

Ossington Mental Youth
11-07-2011, 07:55 PM
not necessarily true, im sure if they fit the system they will bring them in, im sure they are shooting young but they do need to compliment it with some experienced dudes

Keegan
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I have no doubt they will select Bekker if they think he is good enough.. he did come through the Ajax academy after all

KGH
12-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Here's the 11 GA kids in this years draft:

Darren Mattocks Akron F
Andrew Wenger Duke M/D
Kelyn Rowe UCLA M
Enzo Martinez North Carolina M
Tyler Polak Creighton D
Chandler Hoffman UCLA F
Taylor Kemp Maryland D
Dillon Powers Notre Dame M
Brian Span Virginia M/F
Dom Dwyer South Florida F
Sam Garza UC Santa Barbara F

prizby
12-14-2011, 09:27 AM
no goalie?

Nuvinho
12-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Andrew Wenger Duke M/D please!

prizby
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
also no non college kids?

Canary10
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Here's the 11 GA kids in this years draft:

Darren Mattocks Akron F
Andrew Wenger Duke M/D
Kelyn Rowe UCLA M
Enzo Martinez North Carolina M
Tyler Polak Creighton D
Chandler Hoffman UCLA F
Taylor Kemp Maryland D
Dillon Powers Notre Dame M
Brian Span Virginia M/F
Dom Dwyer South Florida F
Sam Garza UC Santa Barbara F

Is this for sure? I've seen a lot of other names over the past few weeks.

From what I've heard of Brian Span, would be a good fit. Could be an excellent AM or striker, which fits a need for us.

ManUtd4ever
12-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I am hopeful that with Mariner's keen eye for talent, TFC will be able to draft two future starters with the 4th and 10th picks in the 1st round. Ideally, I would like to see TFC draft the best CB and AM that are available in both slots.

prizby
12-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I am hopeful that with Mariner's keen eye for talent, TFC will be able to draft two future starters with the 4th and 10th picks in the 1st round. Ideally, I would like to see TFC draft the best CB and AM that are available in both slots.

pretty sure we have the 12th not the 10th pick

KGH
12-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Is this for sure? I've seen a lot of other names over the past few weeks.

From what I've heard of Brian Span, would be a good fit. Could be an excellent AM or striker, which fits a need for us.

I grabbed the list from the MLS website:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/12/13/big-board-schuler-sits-top-after-uncs-title

Canary10
12-14-2011, 10:29 AM
^I thought that too, but Mariner said 10th in Kurt Larson's article.

ManUtd4ever
12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
pretty sure we have the 12th not the 10th pick

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/13/qa-with-toronto-fcs-paul-mariner

LARSON: You mentioned the draft. Other than a few exceptions, Toronto’s drafting over the past five years has been pretty poor. Is the club taking a serious look at this year’s class in an effort to find some immediate contributors?

MARINER: I’m very, very hopeful that we can get at least two players that can really contribute … We’ve had seven scouts working in the NCAA and we’ve got six scouts working internally in Canada. We’ve got the 50 top players in our view that we feel that are going to the MLS Combine. It’s a question of what we can get at (picks) four and 10. I’m very confident where we are with the draft.

Yohan
12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
I think Mariner's confused about the 2nd pick.

Mattocks going to Europe, and Schuler may follow

Canary10
12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I think Mariner's confused about the 2nd pick.

Mattocks going to Europe, and Schuler may follow

New York finished 10th overall out of 18 teams. With those 8 who finished below NY plus Montreal getting picks 1-9, does that not leave Toronto getting New York's pick 10?

Yohan
12-14-2011, 12:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_MLS_SuperDraft

The four clubs eliminated in the Conference Semifinals receive picks #12 through #15 (in reverse order of season points);
NY lost to LA in conference semi finals

Whoop
12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
^^

Someone should tell Mariner that.

Canary10
12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for that Yohan. Yeah, someone ought to tell him. The difference between 10 and 12 could be huge. Likely GA vs. non-GA.

Canary10
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Out of curiousity, do the teams have any input into who gets a GA contract?

Yohan
12-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Out of curiousity, do the teams have any input into who gets a GA contract?
kinda.

GA don't get offered to players who no teams have expressed an interest signing

Canary10
12-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I ask because I haven't seen the top rated CBs (generally Austin Berry and Matt Hedges) listed as GA candidates. It makes no sense for us not to get a GA with the first pick given our cap issues. If we can't influence the GA decisions to get one of those gusys GA contracts, that pretty much means our first pick will be an offensive player.

Yohan
12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
those that don't end up on a GA contract tend to be pretty low in terms of salary. about league min or slightly higher

also, there are only so many GA spots. conflicting interests from many parties will have their influence on who gets offered a GA contract. TFC's voice is a minority in there

arsenal
12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
I ask because I haven't seen the top rated CBs (generally Austin Berry and Matt Hedges) listed as GA candidates. It makes no sense for us not to get a GA with the first pick given our cap issues. If we can't influence the GA decisions to get one of those gusys GA contracts, that pretty much means our first pick will be an offensive player.

Gen Adidas contracts are for underclassmen (Berry & Hedges are seniors). There was talk of a CB from W Virginia (Eric Schoele)being a GA target but his stock appears to have fallen some as he is pretty slight of frame. Another CB name floated for Gen Adidas is Andrew Jean-Baptiste from UCONN.

KGH
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Interesting points about GA contracts:

Tell me about the Generaton adidas program.
The program is designed to fast track talented select players into the professional game either straight from high school or college. In doing so, it provides incentive laden contracts that would be greater than they would might receive if they had completed college. It’s a clear financial incentive for having them either bypass college or leave college early.

In addition, players are provided with money to continue their education.. The average age is 20 or 21 but players as young as 15 have signed contracts. Between sophomore and junior year is probably when most players leave.

Who picks them?
MLS teams make the recommendations to the MLS League office to extend the contract offers. Adidas obviously some input, but in the end they’re not having the final say in terms of who gets offered a contract. It’s the MLS teams themselves. They may come from a National Team recommendation. There were several players this year that came from the U-20 National Team, but by and large these guys have been scouted by MLS teams themselves.

There’s a preliminary list of probably 20-25 players that circulates and that is gradually reduced. It’s a process that goes on for probably eight weeks in the Fall. As teams see more players at the end of the season, often players are added late into the process.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/ussoccerplayers/2010/01/mccabe-explains-generation-adidas.html

brandrews
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
i'm not convinced generation adidas contracts are all the rage for just the cap savings reasons compared to other draft picks. all three picks that we signed last season ended up pretty much at league minimum deals on our off-budget roster, so they cost way less and still didn't count against our cap anyways.

i think the big draw for generation adidas is more from the league's perspective of trying to get more highly touted players to commit to mls by offering more money, and ensuring the teams can still count them as off-budget players.

Canary10
12-14-2011, 01:34 PM
So GA contracts are essentially about trying to get people to drop out of college.....:)

arsenal
12-14-2011, 01:37 PM
So GA contracts are essentially about trying to get people to drop out of college.....:)

Yes ... and as part of the Gen Adidias process money is set aside for them to continue their studies at a later time.

Canary10
12-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Ah ok. Not as nefarious as it sounds.

Funny, I never gave a shit about any of this stuff until becoming a season's ticket holder last year.

prizby
12-14-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/13/qa-with-toronto-fcs-paul-mariner

that's nice, but when we are picking 12th, will you agree that i was correct

KGH
12-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Here's the rules around picking order:

The official selection order was set on October 21, 2011:

2012 expansion team Impact receives the first selection;
The eight clubs which do not qualify for the playoffs receive picks #2 through #9 (in reverse order of season points);
The two clubs eliminated in the Wild Card round of playoffs receive picks #10 and #11 (in reverse order of season points);
The four clubs eliminated in the Conference Semifinals receive picks #12 through #15 (in reverse order of season points);
The two clubs eliminated in the Conference Finals receive picks #16 and #17 (in reverse order of season points);
The club which loses the MLS cup receives pick #18;
The club which wins the MlS cupreceives pick #19.
Dallas and columbus were eliminated in the wild card. We pick 12th.

ag futbol
12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/12/wenger-mattocks-sign-with-mls.html

There we go: some good prospects for us to look at.

Canary10
12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Based on the scouting reports I've read, I would be really happy if we could get Kelyn Rowe (playmaking midfielder), or Billy Schuler (striker who's had a look from some European teams) or Cobi Span (attacking midfielder, but probably set to sign in Europe) with that first pick. Then with a bit of luck, Matt Hedges (a CB) with the second pick. That would set us up very well for next year.

Yohan
12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
I agree that with abundance with strikers and AMs in this year's draft, get one of them with the first pick and look for a defender with second. Unless Andrew Wenger is magically available for 4th pick

Canary10
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I agree that with abundance with strikers and AMs in this year's draft, get one of them with the first pick and look for a defender with second. Unless Andrew Wenger is magically available for 4th pick

Who are you thinking for the number 4 pick? I was also assuming Wenger will be gone by then. Mattocks too.

prizby
12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
well looks like Brian Span won't be with the MLS...signed with a team in Sweden

Canary10
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
^Yeah, that's too bad.

Assuming Wenger and Mattocks go 1-2 (in whatever order), looks like Rowe and Schuler will be our top possibilities. Martinez sounds pretty decent too. So one striker and two playmaking midfielders.

Greatest Ripoff
12-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know if Kyle Bekker will sign with MLS or is he staying in school?

Whoop
12-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Schuler is contemplating signing in Europe.

Canary10
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
^Yeah. He was offered a GA deal though. Mattocks was also being looked at in Europe but ended up signing a GA.

polak9pete
12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Mattocks and Andrew Wenger both signed a GA deal they should be top 2 picks..Sam Garza is the other one who officially signed as well

Canary10
12-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Kelyn Rowe signed a GA deal today. He could be our first pick in the draft. We'll see if Billy Schuler signs. One of him or Rowe will probably be a fourth pick.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/12/rowe-signs-generation-adidas-deal-with-mls.html

Yohan
12-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Ex Arsenal and Blackburn youth product Jason Banton reported invited to MLS Combine.

Oldtimer
01-01-2012, 10:19 AM
DOMIN8R posted this in the news section, Here is a quote from the article:

The Toronto F.C. hold the 4th overall pick in the 2012 MLS Super Draft. Toronto F.C. is looking at 3 different prospects. Billy Schuler, Kelyn Rowe, and UCLA forward Chandler Hoffman are 3 players Toronto F.C. is examining. The more I watch Hoffman on tape the more I’m convinced he could become the next Taylor Twellman. I do not see Hoffman slipping out of the top 5. I think Hoffman really impresses a team at the MLS Combine and they end up taking a top 5 pick on him.http://www.rantsports.com/mock-draft/2011/12/31/seattle-sounders-may-move-up-for-kelyn-rowe/

Canary10
01-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Ives is saying TFC is looking at Kelyn Rowe or Nick DeLeon for the first pick and leaning toward the latter.

Oldtimer
01-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Interesting strategy about being upfront about what you want, obviously with an eye to making deals (e.g. "I want this player so if you want him too, you'll have to offer me a piece that I can use more in my system. ")

What a refreshing change from Mo, who always was very secretive and then pulled off these strange deals with players and allocation going all over the place.

Red CB Toronto
01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. With many clubs sifting their focus towards developing talent in an academy setting it was no surprise the Super Draft was reduced to two rounds. My question is why did the league do this if they were only going to add a round to the supplemental draft? So in the end the overall number of picks the team has stays the same.

prizby
01-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Maybe someone here knows the answer to this. With many clubs sifting their focus towards developing talent in an academy setting it was no surprise the Super Draft was reduced to two rounds. My question is why did the league do this if they were only going to add a round to the supplemental draft? So in the end the overall number of picks the team has stays the same.

i think supplemental draft picks can be offered developmental contracts...dunno; great question

TFC/Everton
01-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Well said.

Oldtimer
01-01-2012, 10:44 PM
i think supplemental draft picks can be offered developmental contracts...dunno; great question

That is indeed the distinction.

Few of these guys amount to much. The #1 supplemental pick last year Michael Bozall did play 19 games for the Whitecaps, but the number 2 pick, Spencer Thompson didn't play a single game for the Timbers. The number 3 pick Dan Keat played 5 games for the Galaxy. Out of the remaining first rounders, only one played for their club (and that was 1 game), and all except two were either released, never signed, sent to the academy, or loaned out. None of the second rounders every appeared for the selecting club.

Consider these guys very rough gems at best, more akin to an academy prospect than a finished product.

Red CB Toronto
01-01-2012, 11:56 PM

Does the developmental contract still exist in the MLS outside of the lower salaries that you can sign homegrown players?

prizby
01-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Does the developmental contract still exist in the MLS outside of the lower salaries that you can sign homegrown players?

yeah...believe its the 32,604 or whatever it was salary...some homegrown aren't necessarily signed to developmental (bryce alderson is GA for example i think)...Lindsay was on for 43k last year

Yohan
01-02-2012, 02:05 PM
One of reasons why Superdraft is still relevant... MLS is bringing in again some players from SA to the combine and available at the draft. Rumours say some interesting players may be taking part

DOMIN8R
01-03-2012, 07:28 AM
WILEMAN: CANADIAN MLS CLUBS PREPARE FOR SUPERDRAFT (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=384044)

Whoop
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
As per Ives, Billy Schuler is signing with Hammarby in Sweden.

Canary10
01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
As per Ives, Billy Schuler is signing with Hammarby in Sweden.

Hmm, don't think he was under consideration by TFC, but may have been for New England who needs a striker and chooses before us. May limit which offensive midfielder we have at number 4. Would be nice to have a choice between Nick DeLeon and Kelyn Rowe.

prizby
01-04-2012, 12:11 PM
like to see tfc use their late supplemental picks on players that signed in Europe like Schuler and Span

we'd hold their rights for 2 years right; so if they don't make it, we could always keep them or trade their rights

Yohan
01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
like to see tfc use their late supplemental picks on players that signed in Europe like Schuler and Span

we'd hold their rights for 2 years right; so if they don't make it, we could always keep them or trade their rights
doesn't work that way. player has to declare for the draft IOT get picked

prizby
01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
doesn't work that way. player has to declare for the draft IOT get picked

so drafting mike grella a few years ago...

Yohan
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
so drafting mike grella a few years ago...
on further research, it looks like anyone graduating from NCAA college is automatically eligible for draft? but a player can declare themselves for the draft before graduating?

Whoop
01-04-2012, 11:44 PM
on further research, it looks like anyone graduating from NCAA college is automatically eligible for draft? but a player can declare themselves for the draft before graduating?

It's like that for football and basketball as well.

moralis
01-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Interesting article from John Molinaro about TFC's off season plans and MLS Super Draft:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/05/tfc_draft/

Not sure if any Generation Adidas players will be available at #12. Mariner thinks so.

flamehawk
01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Anyone else watching the combine? -> http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2012/combine/live

Kelyn Rowe playing for adiPower

prizby
01-08-2012, 06:40 PM
i'd trade our 4 and 12 pick to pick wenger...we need a CB and one who can step in to play...he's versatile as well

ArmenJBX
01-08-2012, 06:42 PM
The rumour is that Aron Winter is looking to trade the fourth overall pick because the 12th pick should be enough to get Andrew Jean-Baptiste

Oldtimer
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/luke_wileman/?id=384680

The Impact's first pick strategy.

Nuvinho
01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
i'd trade our 4 and 12 pick to pick wenger...we need a CB and one who can step in to play...he's versatile as well

I am hoping they are trying to do that.

moralis
01-10-2012, 05:16 PM
According to Soccer By Ives more than half of MLS teams are interested in acquiring ou #4 pick:

Picks 3 and 4 in the 2012 MLS Draft are in MAJOR demand. One TFC official told me more than half the teams in MLS have asked about pick #4

27 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SoccerByIves/status/156855093759709185) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

http://twitter.com/#!/SoccerByIves/status/156855093759709185

ArmenJBX
01-10-2012, 06:24 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2012/news/article/2012/01/10/toronto-evaluate-draft-prospects-based-potential

ArmenJBX
01-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I think we're picking up Kelyn Rowe and Tommy Meyer

Yohan
01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Wenger is that ball playing CB that's so rare in US

trane
01-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Hard to belive that a NCAA developed CB is the answer to our problems. Not saying that he is not, I have not seen him, but I am just not very high on the NCAA.

Yohan
01-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Hard to belive that a NCAA developed CB is the answer to our problems. Not saying that he is not, I have not seen him, but I am just not very high on the NCAA.
Nobody really is... until they get themselves a Geoff Cameron or a Omar Gonzalez or a Ryan Nelsen

prizby
01-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I think we're picking up Kelyn Rowe and Tommy Meyer

i think based on what winter is saying and whats being reported, we will do nothing like any of that

trading up!

Canary10
01-10-2012, 09:32 PM
^Why do you say that? They've been consistent about not trading the pick and getting the best player available with #4, who will probably be Rowe. if they do in fact trade it'll be down, not up I think. Allocation money...

Yohan
01-10-2012, 09:56 PM
^Why do you say that? They've been consistent about not trading the pick and getting the best player available with #4, who will probably be Rowe. if they do in fact trade it'll be down, not up I think. Allocation money...
I think it's bad idea to trade down. This Rowe kid may be a playmaker that might be the AM for TFC for year by all scouting reports.

Canary10
01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I think it's bad idea to trade down. This Rowe kid may be a playmaker that might be the AM for TFC for year by all scouting reports.

I totally agree. I was just saying there's a better chance of trading down than up which was the other suggestion. The fact that half of GMs have been trying to get TFC's pick shows how much value people perceive in Rowe.

Ajax TFC
01-10-2012, 10:43 PM

+1 if this Aceval guy is the real deal, then I think AM is our #1 weakness. we have many central midfielders but Avila is our only real AM, and A) he can't play every game, so he'll need backup, and B) he can't play in the CCL.

mowe
01-11-2012, 03:22 PM

I'm not totally sold on Rowe. I'd much rather see us picking Luis Silva, who's shown more creativity and on-the-ball skills and has better size than Rowe.

I'd like to see TFC either pick Silva at #4, or trade down a few spots and get some allocation out of it (although there's no guarantee Silva will be available by then). Then with #12 pick up Jean-Baptiste or another GA player/defender.

I like trading down because we need all the allocation we can get right now. And even if Silva and Rowe aren't available, there are still attacking players like Sam Garza, Enzo Martinez, and Ethan Finlay to look at.

ArmenJBX
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
There's no way we're getting Jean-Baptiste at 12, simply because he's everybody's backup plan.

When a team like DC United sees their top one/two choices go ahead of them, they're going to look at Jean-Baptiste.

Nuvinho
01-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Silva counts towards the cap? That could deter TFC from selecting him.

ag futbol
01-11-2012, 04:55 PM
There's no way we're getting Jean-Baptiste at 12, simply because he's everybody's backup plan.

When a team like DC United sees their top one/two choices go ahead of them, they're going to look at Jean-Baptiste.
That was my thought as well.

I just say dig for the best player you can and pick him up at #4 unless you have a really good idea (or reason) for trading around.

ArmenJBX
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
We can safely say that Mattocks and Wenger are 1-2 in either direction.
New England NEED some fast players, which Chandler Hoffman is not.

So, at number 4, Toronto FC would be smart to pick Hoffman up - he's very much the top point forward we need in a 4-3-3, and, thinking long-term, Koevermans won't be with us for too long (Yes, Auzzy, that's why Koevermans was in my picture)

We need replacements for Frings and Koevermans ASAP or risk being reliant. Hoffman is that choice.

As for number twelve, Tommy Meyer is a good, technical centerback, something we lack. Nick DeLeon is a creative attacking midfielder, still raw. Ethan Finlay is a versatile winger. All choices we should be considering IMO.

mowe
01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
If for some reason NE passes on Hoffman, he'd be a steal for TFC. They'd be foolish not to take him, though.

Canary10
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Kurt Larson was saying he interviewed Mariner and gets the feeling we're taking a defender with the first pick. And that they are still planning on using that pick, and that their choice changed over the combine.

prizby
01-11-2012, 05:23 PM

So, at number 4, Toronto FC would be smart to pick Hoffman up - he's very much the top point forward we need in a 4-3-3, and, thinking long-term, Koevermans won't be with us for too long (Yes, Auzzy, that's why Koevermans was in my picture)

We need replacements for Frings and Koevermans ASAP or risk being reliant. Hoffman is that choice.

As for number twelve, Tommy Meyer is a good, technical centerback, something we lack. Nick DeLeon is a creative attacking midfielder, still raw. Ethan Finlay is a versatile winger. All choices we should be considering IMO.

smart but not necessarily the best available...

ArmenJBX
01-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Anything we say won't matter till tomorrow, the draft has so many ever-changing variables that the only safe conclusions anyone can make is that Wenger and Mattocks will be high picks

jloome
01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at this point -- not at all -- if we took Chandler Hoffman with the fourth pick.

Rational? He's physically and developmentally the perfect understudy for Koevermans. He's a big target forward who's lithe though to have good foot skills as well. And it's tough to find the perfect player for the top of a 4-4-3.

Given that he's a good finisher and might be able to impact in the first year whenever Koevermans needs a rest, I can see it.

Lots of tough calls though. Everyone says Baptiste is really raw, with poor foot skills, and I just don't see it. I'm sure they'd love to work with Wenger but don't think he'll be on the board past the first three.

jloome
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM

Oops, you said it first! Good point, mang

scooterTFC
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm admittedly only a casual observer of the draft. But It feels like the odds of selecting a productive defensive player (CB, FB, and DM) are better than the odds of selecting an exceptionally talented offensive player. Not saying that some offensive players don't come out of the draft, just feels like those types of picks are less likely to pan out. I say load up on 2 CB's with both first rounders, odds are that only 1 of the 2 will actually develop into a starter anyway.

Canary10
01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at this point -- not at all -- if we took Chandler Hoffman with the fourth pick.

Rational? He's physically and developmentally the perfect understudy for Koevermans. He's a big target forward who's lithe though to have good foot skills as well. And it's tough to find the perfect player for the top of a 4-4-3.

Given that he's a good finisher and might be able to impact in the first year whenever Koevermans needs a rest, I can see it.

Lots of tough calls though. Everyone says Baptiste is really raw, with poor foot skills, and I just don't see it. I'm sure they'd love to work with Wenger but don't think he'll be on the board past the first three.

I have to preface this by saying I've never seen any of these guys play. But I have to agree with you. If, as people are saying, Jean-Baptiste is just a physical defender, he doesn't fit the system. We need someone who is good on the ball. Better to fill other needs.

Yohan
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2012/superdraft/live

MLS ExtraTimeRadio superdraft edition live now

mowe
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Ives has his final mock draft up: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/mls/story/2012-mls-draft-mock-superdraft-darren-mattocks-andrew-wenger-011112

He has us taking Luis Silva at #4 after Rowe goes 3rd and Jean-Baptiste at #12.

I'd be fine with this, if Jean-Baptiste isn't available then Austin Berry might be (not GA but better CB).

Yohan
01-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I think TFC has to take an offensive player at #4. Draft is too deep with offensive players and TFC should get one with GA. A CB at #12 should be available, whether it be Berry, Baptiste or Hedges.

Fishnicker
01-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Kurt Larson was saying he interviewed Mariner and gets the feeling we're taking a defender with the first pick. And that they are still planning on using that pick, and that their choice changed over the combine.

If it's a CB who could it be? Jean-baptiste is the only GA CB, but since his ball skills continue to elude him (http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-archives/nid-23635) I'd rather pick him 12th, or not at all.

Hedges was the top rated defender but apparently also had a poor camp. Berry was "consistently off target with his passing", Manuad can only use his head, Estridge struggled with pace - who does that leave?

Andy Rose, dmid/cb - smart on the ball, played mid at the combine but can play CB too? Or maybe Chavez, but he wasn't rated very high prior to the combine.

My guess is Rose with the 4th, and Kohei Yamada (the Platita of the draft!) with the 12th :D

Seriously though, I hope they trade the 12th for allocation.

Canary10
01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I agree with Yohan. There's too much offense in the draft to pick a CB with the fourth pick. Rowe or Martinez both sound good depending on who is available by four.

prizby
01-12-2012, 12:20 AM
Prediction 1:

TFC Trade up to #2 parting ways with #4 and #12 and take Andrew Wenger

Prediction 1b:

#4 GA Attacker/Attacking Mid
#12 GA Defender

Prediction 2:

TFC will take an attack midfielder Luis Silva, Kelyn Rowe, or Nick DeLeon at #4
TFC will take a defender Baptiste, Meyer, or Berry at #12

Prediction 3:

TFC trade down to 6 or 7 or 8 for allocation
TFC will then take Meyer at that position
TFC will tehn take or Estridge at 12

TFCwestcan
01-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Most predict Mattock at one and Wenger at 2, I think that NE pick Hoffman at three, I have to agree that we pick up an attacking mid at #4, here is where the mystery is....

Oldtimer
01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/11/tfc-should-target-a-defender-with-first-pick

Larson's article suggests the following strategy:

(1) Take a player for a positional need for #4. Larson of course thinks defender, but a striker is also a "positional need."

(2) If they land certain players from overseas by today, they will deal pick #12 to get allocation $$$.

(3) If they don't land the overseas players by today, use the #12 pick and terminate the discussions.

Here's what I think: if they pick a defender with pick #4, you can be pretty sure they are going to deal pick #12.

ag futbol
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
People are making Jean-Baptiste sounds alot like Andy Iro, ahah.

arsenal
01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
People are making Jean-Baptiste sounds alot like Andy Iro, ahah.

Speaking of Iro .... has there been any word on his contract status?

Oldtimer
01-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Hanault to Montreal, #1 pick & Ching to Houston?

http://blog.chron.com/soccer/2012/01/it-shouldnt-be-hard-to-get-ching-back/

That would be a blockbuster move.

I disagree with the homeboy columnist though, that unprotecting Ching was a "smart move." Sleazy, yes, tricky, yes, smart no -- because Montreal called their bluff, just like Mo did with RSL in 2006.

Yohan
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Stupid for Mtl to go for that trade. Very stupid. Hainault is not worth #1 pick. And Houston apparently doesn't have much cap space, so Mtl would have to attach some allocation as well

TFC/Everton
01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Anyone know where I can find a live stream for the draft?

swan
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
anyone able to find a stream for this

edit. ^ beat me to it

flamehawk
01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
anyone able to find a stream for this

edit. ^ beat me to it

Also looking for a streaming. Was hoping mls would stream it :(

Auzzy
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
From last year, but this is kinda interesting: http://onfooty.com/2011/04/mls-draft-social-graph.html

brad
01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Hanault to Montreal, #1 pick & Ching to Houston?

http://blog.chron.com/soccer/2012/01/it-shouldnt-be-hard-to-get-ching-back/

That would be a blockbuster move.

I disagree with the homeboy columnist though, that unprotecting Ching was a "smart move." Sleazy, yes, tricky, yes, smart no -- because Montreal called their bluff, just like Mo did with RSL in 2006.

By all accounts, Mo setting himself up as an MLS snake didn't help his cause in the long run as teams were hesitant to deal with him.

Montreal could be setting themselves up for a similar reputation here.

cincy
01-12-2012, 11:51 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/community/feature/?id=45352

live blog.

cincy
01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/

if you have availability

dantdot
01-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Stream http://www.justin.tv/sports2344

Shway
01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
my fellow friends here is a live feed
http://www.firstrow.tv/watch/49039/2/watch-espn.html

TFC/Everton
01-12-2012, 12:01 PM

My Man!

Waggy
01-12-2012, 12:04 PM

ah, my favorite website. Thanks man, much appreciated!

swan
01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
thank you sir

Auzzy
01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Wenger to Impact

Garber in French first. LOL, I like

TFC07
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Andrew Wanker lol

sully
god lalas is annoying

rocker
Andrew Wenger looks cocky.... just his demeanour in front of the camera shows confidence/attitude.

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Wenger won't be available to Montreal til May. He wants to finish school.

TFC07
01-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Kenny Cooper traded to New York for next year's first round draft pick.

rocker
01-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Wenger won't be available to Montreal til May. He wants to finish school.

that's weird.... most pros who leave early finish in the offseason of the next year or do online work. Or they just finish 20 years later. They can always go back to school later.

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Interesting that Mtl picks Wenger.

1. No more Hainault deal, since Mtl has depth at CB w/ Wenger
2. Looking for outside MLS for strikers

Furtado91
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
mattocks to Whitecaps.

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
that's weird.... most pros who leave early finish in the offseason of the next year or do online work. Or they just finish 20 years later. They can always go back to school later.

Luke Wileman tweeted that last night.

Auzzy
01-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Interesting that Mtl picks Wenger.

1. No more Hainault deal, since Mtl has depth at CB w/ Wenger
2. Looking for outside MLS for strikers

Or Wenger as forward???

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Vancouver now has Hassli, Camilo, Long Tan, Salgado and Mattocks. potential to be really scary

Batman
predictions for TFC?

Yohan
Or Wenger as forward???
I like Rivas and Wenger as starting CBs better. Ching-Braun up top isn't bad right now

Canary10
Gettin' close boys!

Canary10
01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Curious to see if New England trades.

Shway
01-12-2012, 12:16 PM
maybe montreal will try one more time Ching, Wenger for Hainault

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:16 PM
maybe montreal will try one more time Ching, Wenger for Hainault
that'd also be stupid. Hainault is good, but not that good

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Rowe gone.

Furtado91
01-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Kelyn Rowe to New England

TFC NEXT

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
hrm. Hoffman for TFC, now that Rowe is gone?

BuSaPuNk
01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
TFC on the clock we going to take Baptiste?

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
hrm. Hoffman for TFC, now that Rowe is gone?
I hope they do.

Shway
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
that'd also be stupid. Hainault is good, but not that good

not really, ching has no value in Montreal
Montreal need canadians montreal more then likely want french canadians, and they definitely want hainault to be the captain

Furtado91
01-12-2012, 12:20 PM
the commentators for the tsn2 broadcast can suck a cock with them shitting on toronto like they are right now.

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:20 PM
not really, ching has no value in Montreal
Montreal need canadians montreal more then likely want french canadians, and they definitely want hainault to be the captain
that'd be most retarded thing ever. I get that Canadiens want french canadian content, but I don't see that in Impact

Plus Ching (though probably not) and Davy Arnaud is way more qualified than Hainault to be captain material.

Ching has value in Mtl. Ching is a professional. He will play and honour his contract

Furtado91
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Luis Silva to TFC

Nuvinho
Luis Silva

Suds
Luis Silva

BuSaPuNk
Welcome to Toronto Juis Silva!

rocker
I wasn't reading the mock drafts.. can someone tell me about Luis Silva?

jloome
One of the best mids in the combine. Good hole player behind avila, can play wide as well. Good pick.

sully
I guess we got some defenders signed already

PopePouri
01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
There's our AM.

Nuvinho
good pick, but he isn't a GA - counts against the cap.

jloome
Way to go, Arlo. "Jonathan" DeGuzman. God, Americans are stupid, that this guy blows them away.

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Silva was one the more impressive players at the combine. He has a good combination of skill and size. - from a blog

Whoop
Was listed as one of the better performers at the combine.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/01/mls-combine-2012s-good-and-bad-performers.html

Luis Silva, midfielder, UCSB
Silva was arguably the best player throughout the three days of the combine. He showed off his creativity, vision and technical ability in each of the games he played, though Day 1 and 3 were his strongest. Silva also used his size well, which is a unique trait when compared to the other attacking midfielders in this class.

brad
good pick, but he isn't a GA - counts against the cap.

Mariner said he hoped to get a GA with the second pick.

Waggy
I guess we got some defenders signed already

The Colo Colo guy?

T-boy
Did that commentator just say JONATHAN De Guzman?!?!?!

jloome
01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Mo Edu with more skill, less bite, but lots of height.

Suds
01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Seems like Mariner got who he wanted. Word is TFC had their eye on this kid.

Let's hope he pans out.

Red CB Toronto
01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Ives had him going to the Reds in this slot, with Baptiste coming this way at 12. Silva was the player who raised his stock the most at the combine.

brad
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Sliva highlights

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/01/12/luis-silva-ucsb-m

Furtado91
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Did that commentator just say JONATHAN De Guzman?!?!?!

i heard that too. i thought it was off as I was like wait isnt it julian de guzman.

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Chivas takes Townsend at 5... bit of a surprise

tfcleeds
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Luis Silva, the Banana Slug!

Isn't that UC Santa Cruz?

Whoop
01-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Isn't that UC Santa Cruz?

You're right Greg, my bad.

jloome
01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Hoffman might go late. They're going for perceived athleticism over history and he looks awkward. But then, so does Peter Crouch, and he'd light up MLS.

tfcleeds
You're right Greg, my bad.

Don't worry, I was about to post the same thing, then caught myself!

Didn't Iro also attend UC Santa Barbara?

Whoop
UC-Santa Barbara Gauchos

GuelphStorm2007
Hopefully Baptiste is avaialable at 12 pick.

Whoop
01-12-2012, 12:32 PM
He's a Juve fan.

http://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-soccer/2011-12/bios/silva_luis00.html

Whoop
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Don't worry, I was about to post the same thing, then caught myself!

Didn't Iro also attend UC Santa Barbara?

Yep.

tfcleeds
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
He's a Juve fan.

http://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-soccer/2011-12/bios/silva_luis00.html

That makes him alright in my book! :)

ArmenJBX
01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Nick DeLeon goes 7th, interesting.

History of drug abuse/dealing. Might be a gamble!

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:35 PM
SJ takes Sam Garza at 6, DC takes Nick DeLeon at 7

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Nick DeLeon goes 7th, interesting.

History of drug abuse/dealing. Might be a gamble!
sounds like Santino Quaranta

reggie
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
So i guess our goals will come on a SILVA PLATA now...

ArmenJBX
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I think we've wasted our fourth overall pick. Luis Silva is useless in our system

rocker
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM

hahaha. good one

Oldtimer
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I think we've wasted our fourth overall pick. Luis Silva is useless in our system

Don't judge it until you either see him play for TFC, or even if you find out he was taken by TFC to trade to another team.

dantdot
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Now serving lambe on a silva plata. :o

ArmenJBX
01-12-2012, 12:40 PM
As I predicted, Andre Jean-Baptiste too good a dream for Toronto FC to pick up at 12.
Portland take Jean-Baptiste

Oldtimer
Baptiste to Portland... that is too bad!

Nuvinho
AJB is gone.......damn!

Furtado91
Baptiste to Portland.

Suds
there goes Baptiste

T-boy
Jean Baptiste GONE! :o

Yohan
Portland takes Baptiste at 8

TFC takes one of senior CBs at 12?

swan
01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Hopefully Baptiste is avaialable at 12 pick.

nope

Chevy
TRADE - Kenny Cooper to NYRB for a draft pick.

Canary10
I'm glad. The last thing TFC needs on the back line is yet another banger and crasher with no ball skills. We need a skilled defender, not a big defender. No use in our system.

Nuvinho
Hedges then?

rocker
Tyler Tellman makes Baptiste sound like Andy Iro... strong, tough but always one mistake away from disaster. between the ears was a deficiency, he (or Lalas) said.

Chevy
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Now serving lambe on a silva plata. :o

...with Frei's and Frings on the side.

ArmenJBX
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Don't judge it until you either see him play for TFC, or even if you find out he was taken by TFC to trade to another team.

Entirely possible! Don't get me wrong, he might be good, but we needed a forward and a centerback, not another midfielder.

swan
01-12-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm glad. The last thing TFC needs on the back line is yet another banger and crasher with no ball skills. We need a skilled defender, not a big defender. No use in our system.

thats what i'm thinking

ArmenJBX
Defender Austin Berry taken by Chicago Fire

Chevy
Link to Cooper to NYRB trade

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/12/timbers-ship-cooper-red-bulls-draft-pick

ArmenJBX
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Toronto FC would be smart to pick up the following:

Hoffman, Finlay, Meyer, Polak.

Ageroo
Entirely possible! Don't get me wrong, he might be good, but we needed a forward and a centerback, not another midfielder.

I disagree there.....you still should take the best available player. Defenders are rated lower in this draft so take a chance and hope you get the pick at 12. I like Silva at 4. Seems like he had a great combine and I am excited to see what he can do.

Nuvinho
there is a player I hope falls to TFC, but don't want to mention his name....may jinx it!!

Suds
01-12-2012, 12:45 PM

I agree our needs are in D and F, but IMO, the MLS draft to too lean to cherry pick that way. I think you draft the best player you think you can get at your slot.

Yohan
Hoffman might actually fall to TFC at 12...

dantdot
...with Frei's and Frings on the side.

Teehee. Someone needs to shop this.

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Hoffman might actually fall to TFC at 12...

the Kkkrew may take him.

Whoop
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM

But isn't TFC getting defenders off the market?

ArmenJBX
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Ethan Finlay to Columbus Crew

Yohan
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
the Kkkrew may take him.
Columbus has so many holes on their roster right now. They could be looking at best player available

ArmenJBX
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Totally Columbus material, Finlay is incredibly diverse positionally

Canary10
I think Silva could play the wing as well. He's also big, so may be good back-up target forward. I think it's a good pick. Really glad we didn't take a defender based on what I've seen of those available. Plus our CB issues may have already been resolved through international signings.

Dv23
I saw this Finlay kid and thought to myself "he seems like a likeable chap." Then he got picked by the Crew and I thought "oh well, I hate him now."

backbeat
01-12-2012, 12:51 PM

disagree - we need an AM - and from what i understand that's Luis Silva's position - and we need 2 strong CB's

jloome
01-12-2012, 12:52 PM

You're kidding, right?

He's a tall midfielder with great ball skills who can also tackle and head the ball. He can play going forward, he can play going back.

Kid has huge potential. Maybe a replacement for DeGuzman when his deal's up, or a Frings understudy.

EDIT: Oh, I see, you're talking immediate need.

Nope, disagree with you there, too. I think he can contribute year one.

Canary10
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Dallas needs a CB, not a forward....

Nuvinho
now TFC please pick Hoffman!!!

BuSaPuNk
Looks like we can get Hoffman

Dv23
01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
A defender. yay. Is he any good?

ArmenJBX
Toronto FC select Aaron Maund.

I'm sorry but...WHO??

jloome
Wow. Interesting. I think Ives loves this guy.

BuSaPuNk
Ummmmm what?

Oldtimer
Maund. That's a shock. But he's a defender.

Suds
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
surprise pick by TFC

Nuvinho
http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/avitars/phpOTYbfR1chat_wileman.jpghttp://cdnsl.coveritlive.com/templates/coveritlive/images/spacer.gifMaund is a physical defender, but not sure he is capable of stepping straight in. He wasn't predicted to go so high in the draft http://cdnsl.coveritlive.com/templates/coveritlive/images/icons/fb_share2.png
Thursday January 12, 2012 12:56

12:57
http://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/avitars/phpNV2PLctsn.jpghttp://cdnsl.coveritlive.com/templates/coveritlive/images/spacer.gifTFC wasted little time in making that pick... almost like they were waiting for him to fall to them.

Dv23
I'm with the commentators. In Mariner We Trust.

Ageroo
from his clips he looks very athletic....

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
maybe we made the pick for someone else - since they rushed right up there to make the selection.

jloome
So I guess he's been prized, has trained with Mjallby in Sweden and the Columbus Few.

CSO_BBTB
Most of us have never seen any of these guys play and the people who set the media agenda on this aren't necessarily the best judges of talent so best to wait to see Aaron Maund in action before making any judgments on this.

jloome
01-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Team Captain, four year started at Notre Dame.

ua-kozak_TFC
stream? anyone... thanks in advance

Oldtimer
A surprise pick like our #12 is where you see if Mariner is a better judge than most of what talent will fill TFC's needs. Given his reputation at New England, I'm going to give him that chance.

Nuvinho
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
where is TFC getting all this cap room to sign these non-GA players?

Canary10
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
He was still one of the top-rated CBs from all the draft boards I saw.