PDA

View Full Version : Frei or Kocic for the Dallas match?

Island Man
10-15-2011, 03:41 PM
With one of our most important games EVER coming up soon who should play in goal?

Milos Kocic - Been very solid recently after replacing the injured Frei and keeping him out of the team.

Stefan Frei - Been a great player for us for a few years now, and one of the better MLS keepers, been injured a lot recently though.

Island Man
10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Hmm how do I add a poll?

DichioTFC
10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Frei

/thread

DichioTFC
10-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Hmm how do I add a poll?

I dont know if you can add one retroactively, you had to do it when you create the thread.

Island Man
10-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I dont know if you can add one retroactively, you had to do it when you create the thread.
Crap, on another forum I visit you have to do it afterwards.

Can a Mod add a poll please?

CSO_BBTB
10-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Good to have this as an issue. Prefer Frei but there is not much in it. Think he has better reflexes and pulls off saves that are beyond Kocic. Maybe what's worth exploring is why Winter might prefer Kocic. Better with the ball at his feet? More commanding in his box on crosses?

ManUtd4ever
10-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Tough call.

Krasno.pL.
10-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Kocic can handle MLS fine.. but has a brain fart everyy game (like today). its tough, but Frei is a top keeper in this league.

dantdot
10-15-2011, 04:39 PM
A good choice to have, yadda yadda...:)

brad
10-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Good to have this as an issue. Prefer Frei but there is not much in it. Think he has better reflexes and pulls off saves that are beyond Kocic. Maybe what's worth exploring is why Winter might prefer Kocic. Better with the ball at his feet? More commanding in his box on crosses?

I think Winter is giving Kocic a shot to see if he is good enough to be one number one next year. Winter mentioned at the town hall that he will be looking within the MLS to strengthen at the back in the off season and for that you need something of worth to trade. I think that will be Frei.

Brocko
10-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Frei

/thread
FACT!

Auzzy
10-15-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm OK with either Frei or Kocic on Tuesday. I'll go with what Winter sees as the better choice based on practices, Dallas' strengths, etc.

Both our keepers are good, each have some great advantages but also some disadvantages.

prizby
10-15-2011, 05:15 PM
i kringe on free kicks with Kocic in the net; otherwise either or

denime
10-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Kocic can handle MLS fine.. but has a brain fart everyy game (like today). its tough, but Frei is a top keeper in this league.

Brain fart?

You mean bad pass to Harden?

If every missed pass during the game is brain fart than 99% of MLS players have several brain farts per game.Harden should let that ball go out,trow in for Phily,big F..in deal.

Back to question,I would prefer Kocic. I think right now our defenders are more confident with him in the net than Frei.

AlanO
10-15-2011, 05:42 PM
It's awesome that we can have this debate.

Couchy81
10-15-2011, 06:04 PM
If Frei is even still slightly injured or off his game at all I'd feel confident to go with Kocic on this one.

Either one will live up to the task though.

habstfc
10-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Kocic can handle MLS fine. but Frei is a top keeper in this league.

Many think he is a top keeper in this league that's why I think we should trade him. If he's as good as many say we should get something half decent in return. Kococ is of equal ability to Frei in my opinion and at about 1/5 of the price.

ArmenJBX
10-15-2011, 06:25 PM
As we approach the biggest game of TFC's history, let's look back at the NYRB game which saw an in-form Brian Edwards start ahead of Stefan Frei. We lost 5-0.

I think, in games like this, Frei needs to start. Kocic may be in form, but Frei is a constant, and one who has proven himself. Kocic has been more than competent this season, but we have yet to put him in high-pressure situations.

Stefan Frei to start against Dallas, in my humble opinion.

mowe
10-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I think it's going to be Kocic, purely because he started tonight against Philly. Winter might want some continuity with the goal keeper position. When was the last time Frei played a game?

__wowza
10-15-2011, 06:42 PM
keepers in the MLS are a dime a dozen, but we've got two close to the top.
i still think frei has a bit of an issue commanding the back when he wants something. he has better reflexes but kocic has better control.

when it comes to starting one over the other, maybe this is a motivation tool for frei. winter knows he has stock in the MLS so he knows he can get something good in a trade.

frei's always been the guy no one would want traded, but id imagine we could get 95% of the players we might want with him alone. maybe this is his way of telling him he needs to step up his game, or risk losing the starting spot/get traded.

PopePouri
10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
We haven't had a blowout with Kocic and I don't think that's a coincidence. I think Kocic is better organizing players on the pitch and much more vocal. Frei is still a fantastic shot stopper.

Klinsmann
10-15-2011, 08:24 PM
the brainfart was Harden, he should have just put the ball out of bounds, if he did we probably would have won the game.

TFCREDNWHITE
10-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Currently, Kocic is the in form keeper. Gotta go with the in form keeper.

Yohan
10-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Currently, Kocic is the in form keeper. Gotta go with the in form keeper.

I agree but last time did this, 5-0 whipping at giants stadium :p

CSO_BBTB
10-16-2011, 07:07 AM
I think Winter is giving Kocic a shot to see if he is good enough to be one number one next year. Winter mentioned at the town hall that he will be looking within the MLS to strengthen at the back in the off season and for that you need something of worth to trade. I think that will be Frei.

Will be interesting to see who gets protected in the expansion draft.

ManUtd4ever
10-16-2011, 08:24 AM
As we approach the biggest game of TFC's history, let's look back at the NYRB game which saw an in-form Brian Edwards start ahead of Stefan Frei. We lost 5-0.

I think, in games like this, Frei needs to start. Kocic may be in form, but Frei is a constant, and one who has proven himself. Kocic has been more than competent this season, but we have yet to put him in high-pressure situations.

Stefan Frei to start against Dallas, in my humble opinion.

I agree with you in principle, but in fairness to Kocic, he has performed extremely well in high pressure situations throughout the CCL, so he has also proven himself.

Frei is our number one keeper. However, I think Kocic should start because he is in top form at the moment, and Frei has not had the opportunity to regain his form since suffering consecutive injuries in his last two starts.

torontocelt
10-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Frei has done well for a number of years, Kocic has done well for a number of games, Frei is number 1.

swan
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
frei baby..

no question..

Darlofletch
10-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I think whoever got the start against philly, will get the start on tuesday, no point resting a goalie when they haven't played for 2 weeks. so i guess Kocic.

am I on board with that decision? I don't know really, I'd be fine with either of them.

I think the team plays better with kocic, he seems to be better at coming for crosses and that gives them more confidence? or maybe it's the case that they know frei isn't behind them so subconsciously try harder.

it may well be that kocic has just had more time with the new more solid defence. Frei showed last year that he's much more decisive and bettter with crosses when behinsd an organised defence.

long term frei better than kocic, for now though I'd go kocic, and I think him playing against philly means winter feels the same.

Oldtimer
10-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Crap, on another forum I visit you have to do it afterwards.

Can a Mod add a poll please?

added.

David_Oliveira
10-16-2011, 10:45 PM
It's a hard choice but Frei hasn't really had significant minutes as of late. There might be some rust there.

I choose Kocic

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Kocic...only because of the rust on Frie...

If Frie was even being considerd with Winter....he would of played the Philly match...

Kocic will start %100

London
10-17-2011, 07:08 AM
kocic for dallas, and give frei the start for the season finale,

john brought up a good point, we have two realy good keepers and an expansion draft to deal with.

one of these guys might be moved beforehand

brad
10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Will be interesting to see who gets protected in the expansion draft.

It will, but that might not tell us anything. Backroom deals often happen during these things.

ManUtd4ever
10-17-2011, 07:47 AM
TFC's overall record in 2011 with Milos Kocic in goal is 7W 4D 3L in all competitions.

nascarguy
10-17-2011, 08:26 AM
is Stefan Frei still hurt

Detroit_TFC
10-17-2011, 08:33 AM
I lean towards using our most experienced keeper but the lack of recent minutes concerns me. Kocic has improved a lot in a short while, and it would be good to reward that effort. Kind of a double bind - if one makes an error, there will be regret that we didn't use the other.

JonO
10-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Kocic...only because of the rust on Frie...

If Frie was even being considerd with Winter....he would of played the Philly match...

Kocic will start %100
I agree with this. Given the length of time he has been away, it's hard to see Winter sitting Frei in Philly if he had any intention of playing him on Tues.

That being said, certainly keep 'em both and let them battle for the job...

Carts
10-17-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree with this. Given the length of time he has been away, it's hard to see Winter sitting Frei in Philly if he had any intention of playing him on Tues.

My thoughts exactly...

brad
10-17-2011, 10:43 AM

Match fitness counts for a lot - Kocic has it and Frei does not.

Torontotonto
10-17-2011, 06:57 PM
It's a toss up to me.

Although Frei is our MOTY, Kocic has been pretty solid.
I have to go with Winters choice, he see's them everyday.

Who ever the hell it is, it gonna take a the whole squad to come up with the biggest effort of the year.

Come on you REDS, take those hoops down...

:drum::flare::scarf::flare::drum:

:canada:

Auzzy
10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Frei Or Kocic? Only Winter Knows

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/10/frei-or-kocic-only-winter-knows

Toronto FC goalkeepers Stefan Frei and Milos Kocic experienced identical training sessions as the Reds were put through their paces Monday ahead of the Dallas encounter.

Head coach and technical director Aron Winter has been tight-lipped about which keeper will start in Tuesday’s CONCACAF Champions League Group C match against FC Dallas.

TFCREDNWHITE
10-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Kocic had EXCELLENT COMMAND OF THE BOX tonight!!

Hats off!

razor787
10-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Excellent keeping tonight. We have a great problem next year. We have two outstanding keepers, which one do we give the minutes too? Should we consider selling/trading one away? Not really any point in wasting a international spot on a sub-keeper, and he is a better keeper than just a backup.

Red CB Toronto
10-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Great night, Milos came out big on Tuesday in Frisco, what an evening, I also love what Stefan has meant to this squad since coming to Toronto out of college. A tuff choice will have to be made moving forward.

Auzzy
10-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Amazing the way Kocic came out & corralled some very high crosses. I swear a couple of times he had me VERY worried, as it looked like he might be misjudging it. The guy has great judgement, elevation, extension & timing on those crosses.

Canary10
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
I think Winter does have a very tough choice this off-season. I'd really hate to see Frei not being a part of success at TFC after everything he's given to the club.

Yohan
10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Kocic is due for a raise. he makes league minimum

Frei is at 100k base, and 155k with guaranteed compensation. Even if Frei gets bumped down to back up GK, not the craziest of wages to burden the cap with.

ManUtd4ever
10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Frei has been a phenomenal keeper at times during his tenure, but for whatever reason, the current group seemed to respond with a stronger effrort in front of Kocic. Frei unquestionably has more trade value as well, so it will be a tough call for management in the off season.