PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Oct.13

denime
10-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

CCL Quarterfinal Scenarios (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/10/ccl-quarterfinal-scenarios)

Toronto FC's final two matches a real test of character (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/12/toronto-fcs-final-two-matches-real-test-character)

Downsview Project Earns National Attention (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/10/downsview-project-earns-national-attention)

Pumas Mauled By Tigres In Mexico (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/10/pumas-mauled-tigres-mexico)

Dallas Star Shea "Rejuvenated" (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/10/dallas-star-shea-rejuvenated)

Canada happy with 6th place at youth soccer tournament (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/canada-happy-with-6th-place-at-youth-soccer-tournament/article2199063/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

Wull
10-13-2011, 06:25 AM
Mornin' D. SSG is ok but the girl holding the "football" in the first photo may just be perfect!! <3

scooter
10-13-2011, 07:14 AM
mornin d

Technorgasm
10-13-2011, 07:27 AM
ps. FUCK the Union.

Canary10
10-13-2011, 09:48 AM
The academy plans are really impressive. For all the flack MLSE gets (rightly usually), they deserve some credit for this. With Winter overseeing it, I think we're going to get a sea change in how we play football in this country in the next decade or so. And hopefully our international competitiveness will improve too. It's actually really exciting.

ag futbol
10-13-2011, 10:28 AM
^ Ok, I'll bite. Why are the plans impressive? Or maybe to put it more aptly, why is it different from those of clubs with training facilities in North America?

I heard phrazes like "revolutionary", "Ajax", and "unlike anything else" a lot. What I didn't get was why this might be true as opposed to corporate guys just doing their job and getting TFC exposure. The ONLY thing I could pick out that made this training facility different was that they *might* have residency.

Fort York Redcoat
10-13-2011, 10:42 AM
^ Ok, I'll bite. Why are the plans impressive? Or maybe to put it more aptly, why is it different from those of clubs with training facilities in North America?

I heard phrazes like "revolutionary", "Ajax", and "unlike anything else" a lot. What I didn't get was why this might be true as opposed to corporate guys just doing their job and getting TFC exposure. The ONLY thing I could pick out that made this training facility different was that they *might* have residency.

Ya why didn't they have this facility up and running before I was born?:rolleyes:

I don't see how this academy improvement can be discredited by the fact there are others in the world like it or better.

Academy improvement noted. I hope it improves our team and the quality of the sport locally.

Canary10
10-13-2011, 10:51 AM
After a quick look around the league, it looks like the biggest investment in the physical infrastructure of all the academies. Most don't appear to have their own facilities. Makes a big difference when kids are coming to a really professional facility with good quality fields, etc.

Pookie
10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
^ Depends where they get their kids from.

The CAP (Club-Academy Program) has a lot of marketing hype around it but practically speaking, in talking with a fellow connected with one of the first few partners, there hasn't been a lot of interaction at the coaching level.

If the goal is for U8-U14 players to develop before they get to the point where the Academy will look at them, there is a long way to go in the club system. It's a result of this system that we are 105th in the world.

On the plus side, I am hearing TFC is hiring a number of scouts which should help in player identification.

Canary10
10-13-2011, 11:07 AM
^ Depends where they get their kids from.

The CAP (Club-Academy Program) has a lot of marketing hype around it but practically speaking, in talking with a fellow connected with one of the first few partners, there hasn't been a lot of interaction at the coaching level.

If the goal is for U8-U14 players to develop before they get to the point where the Academy will look at them, there is a long way to go in the club system. It's a result of this system that we are 105th in the world.

On the plus side, I am hearing TFC is hiring a number of scouts which should help in player identification.

They've already hired a bunch. They each have region that they oversee. The coach of the Laurier University soccer team, for example, is one for the K-W area. Jens Kraemer is another, who was a great player for London City, Marconi, and I think the London Lasers back in the days of the Canadian professional league (whatever that was called, I can't seem to remember - CSL?). The structure looks coincidentally similar to Ajax.

spark
10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
The academy plans are really impressive. For all the flack MLSE gets (rightly usually), they deserve some credit for this. With Winter overseeing it, I think we're going to get a sea change in how we play football in this country in the next decade or so. And hopefully our international competitiveness will improve too. It's actually really exciting.

Just curious as I hear/see people say this all the time - does anyone know for certain that Winter is actually responsible for overseeing the Academy? Does being the Technical Director and Head Coach include being Director of the Academy? Or are you just saying this in a loose sense since he's Technical Director that he approves most/everything football related with the club? I'd think/assume you'd hire someone specifically to manage the academy as it must be a massive responsibility - and that will determine how good our program becomes - and with that being said Winter=great academy to me doesn't add up.

Yohan
10-13-2011, 11:12 AM
http://rednationonline.ca/MoveForwardExcitingForOmphroy.aspx

Omphroy being retrained as a winger

Pookie
10-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I really hope that the scouting model takes off.

For TFC (and Canadian Soccer to be successful) it will require a significant culture and economic shift within the Club environment to focus on development. I don't think they have the resources (or time) for that to take place.

Along with the number of clubs, TFC introduced only one member of SAAC (Soccer Academy Alliance) in the CAP program. SAAC members model the development pathways of successful countries with emphasis on qualified coaching, emphasis on training vs games, technical development over tactics at a young age, etc. I believe that relationship is now essentially going to be one of a scout visiting from time to time.

The sense is that they have their "shit" together and with limited resources TFC would focus on the Clubs.

Back to the scouts, nothing provides more incentive on the part of their customer base (ie. parents) than a scout visiting and relaying what focus is necessary for their kids to have a serious look.

I think that parent piece is key. Without it, the OSA's glossy brochure on emphasis on training vs winning is simply talk.

From a TFC perspective, I'd much rather see money spent on identifying kids with a potential to learn than trying to get OSA bureaucrats and old school coaches to change their emphasis. I believe scouting with be instrumental in that regard.

ag futbol
10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Ya why didn't they have this facility up and running before I was born?:rolleyes:

I don't see how this academy improvement can be discredited by the fact there are others in the world like it or better.

Academy improvement noted. I hope it improves our team and the quality of the sport locally.
The "claim" is that it's unlike any other facility (in North America), all I'm asking is why? You'll also notice I said North America (implied MLS) and not "the world". And no, I'm not critical of it's existence or, trying to discredit the academy, or bashing the fact it wasn't here before you were born. I just want to know if it is as revolutionary as they are trying to make it sound.

Pookie
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
^ last I checked there is a surface, a ball and some nets so I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

"Revolutionary" is overused. I can't count the number of car ads that claim this year's model will revolutionize the industry based on the fact that the car has bluetooth. If it could fly, it might revolutionize the home commute. Outside of that, it is just fluff.

That said... good investment.

ag futbol
10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
^ last I checked there is a surface, a ball and some nets so I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

"Revolutionary" is overused. I can't count the number of car ads that claim this year's model will revolutionize the industry based on the fact that the car has bluetooth. If it could fly, it might revolutionize the home commute. Outside of that, it is just fluff.

That said... good investment.
I agree, it's definitely a good investment.

I noticed one of the fields is supposed to be heated as well, which is nice, but probably necessary to maintain a decent quality practice pitch for a professional team in a Canadian climate.

This thread over at BS has some details of the training grounds around the league. http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1639579

Roogsy
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
It is indeed a good investment. In fact, I would say it is a necessary investment because this is not a luxury that they had the choice whether or not to invest in, but rather a necessity simply to keep the pace with the rest of the league. The truth is that this is not an advantage to TFC, it would have been a disadvantage not to have one. I get the impression that people think this will help put TFC over the top. I see it more like it is something that will even the playing field for an organization that really needs the help in all areas.

ManUtd4ever
10-13-2011, 12:49 PM
It is indeed a good investment. In fact, I would say it is a necessary investment because this is not a luxury that they had the choice whether or not to invest in, but rather a necessity simply to keep the pace with the rest of the league. The truth is that this is not an advantage to TFC, it would have been a disadvantage not to have one. I get the impression that people think this will help put TFC over the top. I see it more like it is something that will even the playing field for an organization that really needs the help in all areas.

I agree that the substantial investment in the Academy is more of a necessity than a luxury, but I also think TFC stands to benefit more than most other clubs in MLS because of the extensive, diverse, potential talent pool that exists in the GTA and throughout Ontario. I believe that in 5-10 years, TFC Academy will rank among the top 5 development programs in MLS.

Pookie
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
^ is there really a diverse, extensive talent pool in the GTA?

I don't doubt the presence of some players with a sound technical foundation. That said, the same system that helped Canada rocket to 105th in the world is the caretaker for these developing youth.

For TFC, like any system, it will only be as good as the input and as a result is heavily dependent on the will and skill of the OSA to develop these players to a point where entry into the TFC Academy makes sense.

Speaking of, what is the timeline around lower ages? I believe it is U14 next year?

Roogsy
10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree that the substantial investment in the Academy is more of a necessity than a luxury, but I also think TFC stands to benefit more than most other clubs in MLS because of the extensive, diverse, potential talent pool that exists in the GTA and throughout Ontario. I believe that in 5-10 years, TFC Academy will rank among the top 5 development programs in MLS.

I think it's a double-edged sword. With the increased attention on this talent pool, TFC may have a slight advantage, but not a complete monopoly on players in the GTA. Especially if the first team continues to underperform, it will be a secondary choice to exceptional players wanting to make a name for themselves in the sport and who may have other choices. In which case, I think it will be no different and no more exceptional than any other academy in MLS. There is potential yes. But there was also lots of potential in 2007 for the team overall. Potential does not guarantee the eventuality.

Pookie
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Roogsy, the one area TFC would have an advantage is around geography. The exception player, like an Aleman, might be willing to pack up and move but younger players... particularly those that enter TFCA at the U14 bracket, aren't likely to have a lot of mobility.

Parents aren't necessarily going to pack up and move the family to Salt Lake City, Utah because their Academy offers better longer term prospects.

I suspect that TFCA will require a time commitment/contract to join at the young ages which will effectively limit movement/player rights when the age becomes critical.

That said, I am in 100% agreement that TFCA does not and will not have a monopoly on players in the GTA. I also really want to hammer on the development that happens outside of TFCA.

ALL academies based in the USA will have the advantage of being able to bring players into their system who have a decent grasp of the technical skills necessary to play. It's why the USA is ranked so high. We will be drawing players from a system that has led us to the esteemed ranking of 105th. TFCA will almost always be at a disadvantage when it comes to player selection until this is rectified.

Canary10
10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
"it will be a secondary choice to exceptional players wanting to make a name for themselves in the sport and who may have other choices."

If by this you mean most high level players will still see Europe as the first choice I agree. But if we have an academy that is at the level to prepare players for professional careers in Europe (which I think is possible with Winter and DeKerk's backgrounds), TFC will have a new source of revenue in transfer fees and can take the lesser players into the MLS side. And hopefully Canada will have players for the national team who will be committed to us, instead of wherever they go at the age of 14 or whatever because they had no choice up until now.

Whoop
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
^^
I think that's the hope.

Europe is still, and will always be, the goal. Hey, it's the same with some European nations. Most don't aspire to play for their local side, but rather one of the G-14 Super teams.

But ideally, those who aren't that exceptional, can still be trained to be very good MLS players.

And hopefully it coincides with MLS gradually increasing the salary cap with each CBA.

Then, hopefully, Canada is a benefactor of the TFC, Whitecaps and eventually Montreal Impact academies. And the strength of these academies hopefully helps strengthen the other private academies in the country.

Oldtimer
10-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Just curious as I hear/see people say this all the time - does anyone know for certain that Winter is actually responsible for overseeing the Academy?

Anselmi said so in the ground breaking for the Academy. Watch the video, it's actually worthwhile (not just hot air from Tom).

Mark in Ottawa
10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I really hope that the scouting model takes off.

<< snip >>

Back to the scouts, nothing provides more incentive on the part of their customer base (ie. parents) than a scout visiting and relaying what focus is necessary for their kids to have a serious look.

<< snip >>

And nothing is worse than some unscrupulous type feeding on the impossible dreams of some parents who are determined to make their kid the next big discovery. There must be some mechanism in place to certify scouts and possibly agents who are not necessarily looking out for the best interests of the players and the sport.

Pookie
10-13-2011, 06:35 PM
^ fair enough and you just have to look to any story on David Frost to know that parents need to be cautious.

That said, I see the potential culture changing power in a scout who is able to give straight talk as to why a child who plays on a team that is 20-1-2, isn't automatically geared for a future in the sport unless they can improve their first touch.

SoccMan
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
The TFC Academy is a good thing, hopefully more players will get noticed now, players that can potentialy become professionals one day and go on to help our national teams. In the past one of the problems was that too many good players were not noticed by the various youth provincial and national teams, good players that would eventualy quit the game. However, now with the added scouts hopefully more talented players can be found that one day can become good professional players.