PDA

View Full Version : Montreal to announce first MLS signing

Smokecell
10-02-2011, 03:51 PM
As per Luke Wileman's twitter:

Montreal Impact will announce their first @MLS signing at a press conference tomorrow

http://twitter.com/#!/LukeWileman/status/120566991428927488

Brooker
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
KiKi Musampa surely.

yellowfellow
10-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Adam Braz

ensco
10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Sutton?

ArmenJBX
10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Montreal's first DP will be Anelka, just you wait and see.

TFCRegina
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Paul Stalteri

JackBauer24
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Ali Gerba!:)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
10-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Laurent Robert!

ensco
10-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Montreal's first DP will be Anelka, just you wait and see.

Ever read about what happened to Anelka at PSG? Not sure it would be smart to put him in a french speaking city with a major party scene.

werewolf
10-02-2011, 08:20 PM
^ speaking of which, Anelka was at the PSG match this evening, hours after his match in Bolton.

Lennon
10-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Colombian Nelson Rivas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Rivas) .. never heard of him, but apparently he played for Inter and made 1 appearance for my hometown club ..

Redcoe15
10-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Heywood Jablome. :D

Oldtimer
10-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Unless it's either a "Who is that?" signing or a clearly stupid signing, cue the violins::violin::violin::violin::violin::violin:

WHY CAN'T TFC GET A GREAT PLAYER LIKE "X"?

Just like we heard all the violins when Vancouver set up their "amazing" FO "doing everything right" and their "great" DPs (funny, with Vancouver in "wooden spoon" territory, you don't read those sentiments anymore).

London
10-03-2011, 08:35 AM
who's the current captain??

PopePouri
10-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Unless it's either a "Who is that?" signing or a clearly stupid signing, cue the violins::violin::violin::violin::violin::violin:

WHY CAN'T TFC GET A GREAT PLAYER LIKE "X"?

Just like we heard all the violins when Vancouver set up their "amazing" FO "doing everything right" and their "great" DPs (funny, with Vancouver in "wooden spoon" territory, you don't read those sentiments anymore).

Or their so-called "amazing" atmosphere. Not even BC Place could revive such a dead crowd.

__wowza
10-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Or their so-called "amazing" atmosphere. Not even BC Place could revive such a dead crowd.

its that dead? last time in was in vancouver it was a riot!

[NBF]
10-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Nelson Rivas, is exactly the kind of Centre Back we needed for a DP. He is similar in speed to Marvell Wynn and is great at marking and tackling. He is automatically the best Centre Back in the league mark my words. Koevermans aint shit versus Rivas. Not even in the air he's that good.

He was at the lower end of the pecking order in Inter Milan but that doesnt mean that he couldn't start for a lower table team.

Do you guys see that already teams are getting better for next season? Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.

jazzy
10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
;1387137']Nelson Rivas, is exactly the kind of Centre Back we needed for a DP. He is similar in speed to Marvell Wynn and is great at marking and tackling. He is automatically the best Centre Back in the league mark my words. Koevermans aint shit versus Rivas. Not even in the air he's that good.

He was at the lower end of the pecking order in Inter Milan but that doesnt mean that he couldn't start for a lower table team.

Do you guys see that already teams are getting better for next season? Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.

????...God here we go!!..isn't it too early too be drinking??

Joe Kool
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
;1387137']Nelson Rivas, is exactly the kind of Centre Back we needed for a DP. He is similar in speed to Marvell Wynn and is great at marking and tackling. He is automatically the best Centre Back in the league mark my words. Koevermans aint shit versus Rivas. Not even in the air he's that good.

Comparing Koevermans to Mista is a pretty big insult to Koevermans. Do you see you are a little premature at getting all excited over this? Here ya go...:chillpill:

Oldtimer
10-03-2011, 03:34 PM

:violin::violin::violin::violin::violin:

WHY CAN'T TFC GET A GREAT PLAYER LIKE "Rivas"?

:D

BTW, I think Montreal messed up big time with this signing. A DP defender is a waste of a DP slot. Better to get two decent $150k - $200k CBs, defense is a whole line, not just one guy, no matter how good.

Also he's been on loan the last few years. He may be well past his "best before" date. The last time he played regularly was in 2006. Nick Garcia was once considered the best defender in the league, you know. We know all too well how useful an aging, slow, defender is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Rivas

BFin
10-03-2011, 03:43 PM

The under lining and bolded red fonts aren't necessary on such a brilliant piece of skepticism. Mark my words...you have no idea what's going to happen.

Waggy
10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
In reading about this signing I swear I saw that this "great CB" has like 20 appearances in the past 3-4 years*? Has declined fairly rapidly and has a career basically in freefall style decline since 2007/8. I'll pass. If I'm proven wrong I'm proven wrong, but I'm much happier with TFC NOT spending a penny (let alone a DP slot) on a guy like that.

*Was that with Inter alone? or all leagues/loans he went on?

Yohan
10-03-2011, 03:47 PM
BTW, I think Montreal messed up big time with this signing. A DP defender is a waste of a DP slot. Better to get two decent $150k - $200k CBs, defense is a whole line, not just one guy, no matter how good.

people said DMs would be waste of DPs too. just saying

Oldtimer
10-03-2011, 03:48 PM
In reading about this signing I swear I saw that this "great CB" has like 20 appearances in the past 3-4 years*? Has declined fairly rapidly and has a career basically in freefall style decline since 2007/8. I'll pass. If I'm proven wrong I'm proven wrong, but I'm much happier with TFC NOT spending a penny (let alone a DP slot) on a guy like that.

*Was that with Inter alone? or all leagues/loans he went on?

He's averaged 8 appearances per year for the last 4 years for all clubs.

[NBF]
10-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Nelson Rivas, will negate any movement by Koevermans. He's physical like Chad Marshall and quick like Marvell Wynne.

Koevermans is where Kenny Cooper was 2 years ago. Rivas was clearly signed to stop the best defenders in the league like Henry and that Irish fellow. Montreal is definitely doing it right by signing a DP defender considering that TFC can't find a Centre Back to save its massive investment to reinvent itself.

BTW, Koevermans played in the Eredivisie, which is comparable to the lower half of the teams in Serie A at best. I hope he does as good as Hassli in the league next season but I think he will have met his match with Rivas.

Like I said he will be a great signing. I am shocked they were able to entice him to go Montreal.

Also, If you look around the league, there seems to be alot of Colombians. Mondragon GK, Rivas DF, Chiarra MF, Juan Pablo Angel ST, and that MF/FW for the Seattle Sounders.

ag futbol
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
For someone who's coming from the better end of europe to MLS, it seems like a pretty typical profile neither here nor there.

__wowza
10-03-2011, 04:20 PM
;1387137']Unless this team signs another 6 players in the off season you can pretty much write off Koevermans and place him on the same list as Mista for next season.

funny thing that, we've been doing it for the past few years..

PopePouri
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
its that dead? last time in was in vancouver it was a riot!

Was that opening day?

Auzzy
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
;1387161']Nelson Rivas, will negate any movement by Koevermans. He's physical like Chad Marshall and quick like Marvell Wynne.

Koevermans is where Kenny Cooper was 2 years ago. Rivas was clearly signed to stop the best defenders in the league like Henry and that Irish fellow. Montreal is definitely doing it right by signing a DP defender considering that TFC can't find a Centre Back to save its massive investment to reinvent itself.

BTW, Koevermans played in the Eredivisie, which is comparable to the lower half of the teams in Serie A at best. I hope he does as good as Hassli in the league next season but I think he will have met his match with Rivas.

Like I said he will be a great signing. I am shocked they were able to entice him to go Montreal.

Also, If you look around the league, there seems to be alot of Colombians. Mondragon GK, Rivas DF, Chiarra MF, Juan Pablo Angel ST, and that MF/FW for the Seattle Sounders.

Wow, he really is serious!?! I was somehow hoping his first post about Nelson Rivas was sarcasm, but wow.

Yes, Nelson Rivas will tear this league a new one, I'm sure, and we've never heard that one before. With signings like this, I'm sure Montreal will be even better than Vancouver in their expansion year. It's all but guaranteed, just as we heard last year about Vancouver. :rolleyes:

BTW, if Nelson Rivas manages to shut down Koevermans during our games against Montreal, that's not the end of the world, because TFC has done pretty well sharing the scoring load, especially in the better 2nd half of the season.

We shall see!

Fushida
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM

not rivas... NOT RIVAS...!!

well fuck. now that he's in the MLS, might as well drop everything and just watch paint dry next summer. cuz, you know, FUCKING RIVAS IS GONNA TEAR THIS LEAGUE APART ASDLFJKSLDKJFSD

Whoop
10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Let's see Koevermans was able to crack the Dutch national team who have always had good strikers.

Sure while the Eredivisie as a whole isn't as strong as Serie A, playing with AZ and PSV, Koevermans played against some good CBs at Ajax, Twente, etc. plus let's not forget in European competition.

And while Nelson Rivas is a good player I'm sure, he only played 16 matches in 4 years with Inter. Didn't Stevanovic play at Inter too?

In the end, I'm sure Koevermans doesn't fear Nelson Rivas.

ginkster88
10-03-2011, 04:38 PM
He's made 16 appearances for Inter since 2007 then 17 while on loan the last two years in a lower division.

If we signed this guy all hell would break loose on these boards.

__wowza
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Was that opening day?

no, it was game seven of the stanley cup. :D

ginkster88
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
And we're talking about Danny fucking seven league goals in nine league games Koevermans here.

The man is a giant and should score 14 next year.

LesH
10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Lol, this is a funny thread!

So, who the f..uck is this "great" Rivas anyways? :rolleyes:

Whoop
10-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Maybe if Rivas was playing in the Eredivisie he would have averaged more than 8 appearances a year the last 4 years.

Island Man
10-03-2011, 05:05 PM
He isn't being serious about Rivas is he? :D

Good signing (Isn't a DP btw) for Imapct, very quick, good header. Lacks concentration and communciation. Best defender in the MLS? top 5 maybe. We will see.

Would of liked him here tbh.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
im gonna wait before i make my decision, relatively decent pedigree but nothing to go insane over and i think anyone calling Koevermans a waste or anyhting otherwise must be watching some other player than the one thats scored 7 goals in 9 games. delusions of grandeur to say the least.

Waggy
10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
He's averaged 8 appearances per year for the last 4 years for all clubs.

So he's appeared (not even started) in 32 games in the past 4 seasons? Boy, the Impact better start getting that parade route ready. I'm with Gingster. Had we signed this guy, all hell would be breaking loose (I'd be FURIOUS personally). Which is to say, awesome! Fuck l'Impact :scarf:

And NBF- who's DP slot would you have him take? JDG (who's played great since he had some competant players around him), Frings (the leader of this team, the most important player we've ever had), or Koevs (who has a strike rate of just under a goal a game)? If we aren't resigning JDG, I want a GOOD DP. A young south american, an up and comer, not someone parachuting in here.

David_Oliveira
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Who really cares of Koev can't beat him one on one. As long as TFC as a whole can score, there won't be a problem. Football isn't about one or two players. There are eleven on the field. I'm sure Rivas on his own will stop TFC. We haven't even finished this season and people are already concerned? Sometimes I think people come here just to bash TFC. The truth of the matter is TFC realistically will add more players. Until this happens, don't bash the team. I trust the current FO to go out and get the players we need to win

Ossington Mental Youth
10-03-2011, 05:46 PM
theres nothing saying Koevs cant beat this guy on a one on one.

David_Oliveira
10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
theres nothing saying Koevs cant beat this guy on a one on one.

100% agree. I was just being hypothetical in response to a previous post. This guy could also destroy his knee getting off the plane and we don't even need to worry. I've never seen him play against Koevs (or anyone for that matter). My point is that let's not make decisions on who he can out play on our team until closer to April 7

ManUtd4ever
10-03-2011, 06:28 PM

:facepalm:

ManUtd4ever
10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
;1387161']Nelson Rivas, will negate any movement by Koevermans. He's physical like Chad Marshall and quick like Marvell Wynne.

:facepalm::facepalm:

ArmenJBX
10-03-2011, 06:36 PM
LOL, Montreal (a team we'll play, what, four times tops next year) signs a DP centerback and all of a sudden, Danny Koevermans is useless for all of next season

AL-MO
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
LOL, Montreal (a team we'll play, what, four times tops next year) signs a DP centerback and all of a sudden, Danny Koevermans is useless for all of next season

Yep. This board gets a bit crazy sometimes.

I'll just stay out of this discussion and see how things play out next year.

[NBF]
10-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm defending my statements because I believe them to be true and as far as the comments I've made about Koevermans, I want to make the point that we make a signing in mid-season in 2011 and in the 2011 offseason another team makes a step forward to counter that signing.

Theres a constant evolution going on in MLS. The talent level has gotten better every year since the DP rule.

Eckersley, IMO would be someone worth the DP status, but he plays in a position that is of importance but not as important as the Centre Back position in MLS. Without offering money in exchange for a player in MLS there's not enough draft picks or players to pry away a good solid non DP Centre Back from a team.

So when teams like the Philadelphia Union and Vancouver Whitecaps sign DP Centre Backs it just goes to show that there's not enough quality Centre Backs in MLS. Imagine where the Vancouver White Caps would be without Jay DeMerit, yeah they're at the bottom of the league in the standings but they would be much worse if they hadn't signed someone reliable at the back. The whitecaps do suck but they also show confidence going forward on the attack, because they have DeMerit.

The Philadelphia Union on the other hand have managed to build on having a DP Centre Back and are one of the better teams in MLS due to the fact that they have found a combination of a DP Centre Back and good local centre back.IMO this is the direction we're heading with Iro on the team. All we need is a DP Centre Back.

As far as Rivas, I'm excited because we dont see players like Rivas being signed which leads me to believe that we will get rid of DeGuzman's contract and we will sign a DP Centre Back. Its evolution and if we dont make the move in the offseason we will make the move too late.

Yohan
10-03-2011, 07:29 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/03/colombian-defender-rivas-montreals-first-signing

two year contract plus option year

rumours says Rivas is not a DP

edit: confirmed not a DP

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/montreal-impact-sign-former-inter-milan-defender-nelson-rivas/article2189398/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Soccer&utm_content=2189398

yellowfellow
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
;1387212']I'm defending my statements because I believe them to be true and as far as the comments I've made about Koevermans, I want to make the point that we make a signing in mid-season in 2011 and in the 2011 offseason another team makes a step forward to counter that signing.

Theres a constant evolution going on in MLS. The talent level has gotten better every year since the DP rule.

Eckersley, IMO would be someone worth the DP status, but he plays in a position that is of importance but not as important as the Centre Back position in MLS. Without offering money in exchange for a player in MLS there's not enough draft picks or players to pry away a good solid non DP Centre Back from a team.

So when teams like the Philadelphia Union and Vancouver Whitecaps sign DP Centre Backs it just goes to show that there's not enough quality Centre Backs in MLS. Imagine where the Vancouver White Caps would be without Jay DeMerit, yeah they're at the bottom of the league in the standings but they would be much worse if they hadn't signed someone reliable at the back. The whitecaps do suck but they also show confidence going forward on the attack, because they have DeMerit.

The Philadelphia Union on the other hand have managed to build on having a DP Centre Back and are one of the better teams in MLS due to the fact that they have found a combination of a DP Centre Back and good local centre back.IMO this is the direction we're heading with Iro on the team. All we need is a DP Centre Back.

As far as Rivas, I'm excited because we dont see players like Rivas being signed which leads me to believe that we will get rid of DeGuzman's contract and we will sign a DP Centre Back. Its evolution and if we dont make the move in the offseason we will make the move too late.

I am glad you are a fan. Not our manager.

Yohan
10-03-2011, 07:35 PM
;1387212']I'm defending my statements because I believe them to be true and as far as the comments I've made about Koevermans, I want to make the point that we make a signing in mid-season in 2011 and in the 2011 offseason another team makes a step forward to counter that signing.

As far as Rivas, I'm excited because we dont see players like Rivas being signed which leads me to believe that we will get rid of DeGuzman's contract and we will sign a DP Centre Back. Its evolution and if we dont make the move in the offseason we will make the move too late.Philly does not have a DP CB (Carlos Valdez if you're talking about him)

rocker
10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Montreal will fuck things up somehow. Ever since they fired the coach after the CCL run ended with the Santos Laguna collapse they haven't been the same.

Saputo can't buy a championship this time, and he keeps cronies like De Santis on the payroll despite a lack of success.

Things always look rosy at the beginning... remember when Vancouver signed World Cup defender Jay Demerit? Along with Rochat, everyone was saying that defense was gonna be their strength (shit, even I believed that in the spring). They ended up being one of the worst defensive teams in the league -- a little better than TFC and nobody would say Iro and Harden are anywhere close to Demerit and Rochat in talent. So Rivas could be good, he could end up being a flameout. Who knows -- it'll depend on whether his teammates are any good. And I don't trust Saputo and the boys will succeed.

Raging Reggie
10-03-2011, 07:38 PM
This is who they got....

http://www.movie-vault.com/ckeditor/images/userfiles/images/bbs2_29_21_5_33_7BUuG_phototalk_9_image_972.jpg

Dunkers
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM

Jay Demerit has appeared in 17 games so far this year, based on minutes, he has played 14.5 games, of the 30 leauge games VWFC has played...I hope Rivas puts up those same kind of numbers.

Yohan
10-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Montreal will fuck things up somehow. Ever since they fired the coach after the CCL run ended with the Santos Laguna collapse they haven't been the same.

Saputo can't buy a championship this time, and he keeps cronies like De Santis on the payroll despite a lack of success.

Things always look rosy at the beginning... remember when Vancouver signed World Cup defender Jay Demerit? Along with Rochat, everyone was saying that defense was gonna be their strength (shit, even I believed that in the spring). They ended up being one of the worst defensive teams in the league -- a little better than TFC and nobody would say Iro and Harden are anywhere close to Demerit and Rochat in talent. So Rivas could be good, he could end up being a flameout. Who knows -- it'll depend on whether his teammates are any good. And I don't trust Saputo and the boys will succeed.
to be fair to DeMerit, he was often injured and even when playing not 100%. Rochat often played out of position as well

Oldtimer
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I still fully expect TFC to beat Montreal on opening day in their own stadium.

A team is more than 1 guy, no matter how talented, and I have little fear that the boyz in Montreal know what they are doing.

ag futbol
10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
This is getting OT, but with Koevermans the real test is can he continue to score once teams are more familiar with him? I tend to think that he will, but keep in mind this league has seen more than a few Maykel Galindo's aka guys who started off like houses on fire but were rendered useless once other teams had tape on them.

I still fully expect TFC to beat Montreal on opening day in their own stadium.
We don't even know what their team looks like yet

Joe Kool
10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I am glad you are a fan. Not our manager.

....a fan of Montreal by the sounds of it now that this ultimate signing is happening. I feel like I should be underlining something but just not sure how to use it as well.

__wowza
10-03-2011, 10:25 PM
im a fan of danny k based on what ive seen, but here's my perspective:

he's scored 7 goals in games that i could care less about. score in the CCL and score next season, if he can do that i'll base my judgement off of that. not off of points that don't mean anything.

back on topic, interesting signing. really sets the precedent for the way they want their team run, it could be partially because they see him as someone who can organize the backline, it could also be partially because theyre trying to gauge what'll be open for the expansion draft. personally speaking, it wouldve made more sense to sign him after the draft, no?

Whoop
10-03-2011, 10:47 PM
And I'm sure TFC will sign players this offseason to counter Nelson Rivas...

And help guys like Frings, Koevermans, Johnson, Marosevic, Frei, Dunfield, JDG, etc.

prizby
10-03-2011, 11:36 PM

thats why he played for more than 1 game with dnipro

Keystone FC
10-04-2011, 04:33 AM
;1387161']Nelson Rivas, will negate any movement by Koevermans. He's physical like Chad Marshall.
If true then I say he'll be seeing ALOT of red cards heading his way and putting the Impact in PK situations.

BFin
10-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Actually, if I read your first couple of posts right it's that Rivas will shut down Koevermanns all of next year because he is like Chad Marshall.

Some real definitive stuff there.

BuSaPuNk
10-04-2011, 08:26 AM
^ LOL

I don't see Rivas being able to shut down Koevermanns at all. If anything has taught us usually players that ping pong around teams and leauges are not as good as they sound no matter what there pedigree. See Ali Gerba.

Dreadlocks
10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
So what if this Rivas dude shuts Danny K down 1 v 1! Unless when they go to an unbalanced schedule they also decide that 80% of the match will be played 1 v 1, Montreal will still have to deal with Plata (if he's back) and Johnson. Both of which have proven to be effective strikers.

Besides, even if Rivas tries to man mark Danny K out of a match, I have enough confidence in Danny K's intelligence to change what he does and where he goes on the field. Good strikers do this - its one of the things that set them apart.

And also, it's just about impossible to eliminate a player for an entire match. We have players in the midfield (and wing backs a la Morgan and hopefully Eks) that will find ways to get the ball forward to the strikers in a position to score.

TFC will be better than the L'impact and will beat them like we have in the past.

Auzzy
10-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I guess if Rivas is physical like Chad Marshall, that may mean TFC will only able to score four goals per game against Montreal, like they did the last time they played against Chad Marshall. :D

If Koevermans gets marked heavily, I've seen him switch off to the wing for periods of time, with Johnston, Soolsma, Plata, etc. In that case I guess Rivas will play fullback in order to shut down the Koef, which should work real well for Montreal...

maninb
10-04-2011, 02:51 PM

LMAO!!! Thanks for the laughs......

Empirical
10-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Wow. you must be trolling. he has never shined at any level. could not even stay afloat on the colombian national team.

Fort York Redcoat
10-05-2011, 06:58 AM

This post

=

"He'll Tear This League Up"

Congrats. You're the first to infer that Montreal will finish higher than us next year. Did you say the same for Vancouver last year?

ag futbol
10-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Wow. you must be trolling. he has never shined at any level. could not even stay afloat on the colombian national team.
Well on that level ... neither has Hurtado (he doesn't even have one cap) but he's among the best defenders in MLS.

Anyway, this is just another run-of-the-mill MLS prospect. Speculating on him is well ... speculative.

Given people's critical opinions though, I wonder what they were expecting? Did people look at Richard Eckersley and say: "OMG he's struggling to get time for league two clubs".

This is what MLS prospects generally look like, ahah.

[NBF]
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
This post

=

"He'll Tear This League Up"

Congrats. You're the first to infer that Montreal will finish higher than us next year. Did you say the same for Vancouver last year?

Honestly, I would have thought that Vancouver would have a better record than TFC considering that TFC had Harden and Cann penciled in as our starting Centre Backs and Vancouver had Jay Demeritt and Michael Boxall, but I guess the only thing the Vancouver Whitecaps can be proud of is the fact that they have a legit scoring duo in Hassli(10) and Camilo(8).

Waggy
10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
To be honest redcoat, I figured Vancouver'd be better than us too. We were going into a rebuilding year, they'd been building for this season for the better part of 2 years. I actually think their lack of success has been staggering. It def lowered my expectations visa vis MTL. This leagues gotten tougher in the past few years, D2 players can't cut it anymore. Next year if we aren't by far the best Canadian MLS side I'll be shocked. Though I expect us to be in the top 1/3 of the table anyways.

Yohan
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
To be honest redcoat, I figured Vancouver'd be better than us too. We were going into a rebuilding year, they'd been building for this season for the better part of 2 years. I actually think their lack of success has been staggering. It def lowered my expectations visa vis MTL. This leagues gotten tougher in the past few years, D2 players can't cut it anymore. Next year if we aren't by far the best Canadian MLS side I'll be shocked. Though I expect us to be in the top 1/3 of the table anyways.
D2 players can cut it in MLS, they just have to be good enough for the depth role they will be asked to play.

Waggy
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
D2 players can cut it in MLS, they just have to be good enough for the depth role they will be asked to play.

You're right. I mean in key starting roles. Though with the infusion of academy players around the league who knows how long they'll have those depth roles.

prizby
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
;1387807']Honestly, I would have thought that Vancouver would have a better record than TFC considering that TFC had Harden and Cann penciled in as our starting Centre Backs and Vancouver had Jay Demeritt and Michael Boxall, but I guess the only thing the Vancouver Whitecaps can be proud of is the fact that they have a legit scoring duo in Hassli(10) and Camilo(8).

while at loan with dnipro, he played a total of 1 game

many people would rate the Dutch > Ukrainian league and the top 12 or 14 teams in the Dutch league > than every team in the ukrainian league except shaktar donestk and dinamo kiev

ginkster88
10-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe they got confused and thought they were getting this other shutdown defender (http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz302/NFLWallpaperZone/New-York-Jets-Wallpaper/RevisIsland-Wallpaper.jpg)whose name also sounds like Rivas... he's the best in the league after all!

ag futbol
10-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Looks like they have Chimbonda in camp as well

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2282-Ex-Premier-League-player-Pascal-Chimbonda-on-trial-with-Impact

Fushida
10-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Looks like they have Chimbonda in camp as well

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?2282-Ex-Premier-League-player-Pascal-Chimbonda-on-trial-with-Impact

http://i.imgur.com/tkg9m.png (http://imgur.com/tkg9m)

Brooker
10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Montreal will enter this league proper. They will win the Nutrilite next year and will also contend in the league. They will be a playoff team. French players will want to play there.

The management will not accept failure and they will succeed. It will be great to have them in the league and that game at BMO will be a must attend. It will be very professional at the MLS level.

Montreal will show Toronto/Vancouver how its done right from the start and will embarass Toronto on all levels.

Great to have them in. More excitement. Hopefully it will make Toronto more accountable to their fans and team.

Damn. After reading some of this thread and the links I think we should just shut down the league next year and hand the cup to Montreal.

We are not worthy. MONTREAL IS THE BEST.