PDA

View Full Version : Really Iro, are you kidding me?

LesH
10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Iro’s odd career path could careen to Nigeria (http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_ylt=Ai1RhP6PdH0UTJpFdrh2D94mw7YF?slug=ro-rogers_iro_mlscrew_liverpool_092911)

This sentence made me laugh:

"The 26-year-old is hoping that his solid performances in MLS and the CONCACAF Champions League will earn him a call-up to the Nigeria national team, and the possibility of performing in tournaments such as the World Cup and African Cup of Nations."

Solid performances? Gimme a break!

On a second thought, considering that African nations usually have crap defenses, he may have a tiny chance... lol (I don't know how is now Nigeria's defense.)

Pookie
10-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Here we go again

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/movie/promo/angry-mob.jpg

DOMIN8R
10-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Maybe we should just start "I hate ______" threads for every player so that we can keep all the complaints in one place rather than start mulitiple threads and have the hate pop up everwhere. Just a thought.

LesH
10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
@ Pookie and Domin8r:

I am posting a link to an article, which has a sentence like this:

""The 26-year-old is hoping that his solid performances in MLS and the CONCACAF Champions League will earn him a call-up to the Nigeria national team, and the possibility of performing in tournaments such as the World Cup and African Cup of Nations."

and you try to execute me ASAP for this!

Thanks a lot, but I'm not feeling "touche" at all!

OK, then this means you consider Iro's performances solid ones, and you're happy that he's playing for TFC. Fine. That's your opinion, you have the right to have any opinion you want.

I consider Iro's performances crap ones, he's one of the worst defenders TFC ever had, a player we should get rid of before the next season. That's my opinion, and I have the right to have any opinion I want.

Did I say I hate Iro?
Man, so many drama queens on this board!

ArmenJBX
10-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Laugh at a player on your own team for having a dream...

Only on the RPB forums (TM)

TFCtoMUFC
10-01-2011, 04:17 PM

That and bashing players who don't play here in reference to when they did (see DeRosario, Dwayne).

MartinUtd
10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Lesh is right. The statement is absurd. I'm all for keeping things positive but this merit's laughter and lots of it.

Also, if you think we're the only supporters that have gripes about our own players then pass me some of what you're smoking.

Waggy
10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
How DARE that bastard have a dream. I mean honestly, who does he think he is. How about this for an idea, instead of shitting on the guy, maybe cheer for him? You know, like a FAN would? Someone who SUPPORTS Toronto FC and our players? So he hasn't been great, it doesn't mean he's a piece of shit who should never put cleats on again or try and get better and DEFINITELY not hope of a national team call up. This is a supporters site, it's one thing to criticize a mistake, but a dream? I mean really, a fucking dream? :picard:

Waggy
10-01-2011, 04:23 PM
His dream of making the Nigerian National Team is a lot more likely to come true then my dream of being able to click on threads and not facepalm. I mean honestly. I'm sure when other players found out about how we treat our players when they don't play well they'll be lining up to come play for such great 'fans'.

LesH
10-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm laughing at the idiot sports writer who considers Iro's performances in MLS and Champions League solid ones.

I'm outta here, this forum is once again 80% cheerleaders. :facepalm:

PS: thanks MartinUtd!

DOMIN8R
10-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Actually, I do appreciate the link the article. You are probably right that Iro won't be here next season for good reason. I'm just over the constant messaging that he isn't performing well. Because, at times, he does perform well.

I'm sorry, if I offended you.

Waggy
10-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm laughing at the idiot sports writer who considers Iro's performances in MLS and Champions League solid ones.

I'm outta here, this forum is once again 80% cheerleaders. :facepalm:

Not bashing you for posting the link, but your commentary and the sentence you picked out. It's one thing to make fun of his "solid performances", but to mock his dream of making the national team is not right. It's not about being a cheerleader, it's about being a realist. Like realistically players come on this forum (a bad idea, but they're human. I'd be curious too). Realistically their friends and families do too. It's one thing to level fair criticism at a player because of poor play (and Iro hasn't had a lot of great games so far), but to out and out make fun of the guy and mock his chances at either improving or having further football dreams is uncalled for. Realistically if I was a soccer player (or any athlete) and thinking about moving cities I'd check out the club, the city and the fans. If someone was checking the fans of Toronto FC, they'd probably come here. And this is what they see. What would you think of us as a group of people? We really rally behind our guys when times are tough for them huh. We don't just kick them when they're down, we throw dirt on em

Pookie
10-01-2011, 05:52 PM
lesh,

Iro has indeed had some solid performances. He's also had some major brain farts.

My post was aimed at the invariable anti-Iro posts that crop up around here after losses. While no one is above criticism, Iro started his career here with a couple of very obvious and costly mistakes. That appears to have set the path for him to be run out of town by the "Whipping Boy of the Month" club. One fellow blamed Iro for a goal that was scored after he was subbed off and sitting comfortably on the bench. Others overlook times when fan favourite Eckersley gets beaten, overlook Iro's blocked shots, criticize him for someone else's marking decision and ultimately call him the "worst ever"

Again, the fellow has made mistakes and should be accountable for them.

At the same time, a huge, left footed defender with a great work ethic and locker room attitude isn't exactly someone you want to run out of town. With Cann and Williams coming back, he may not be someone you start but he could be a serviceable depth player should he resign here at the end of the season. That said, with all the criticism coming from "supporters" (see above), I'm not sure he'd make that choice.

Shakes McQueen
10-01-2011, 06:02 PM
He has had some "solid performances", and I'm happy to see he dreams of playing for his national side.

- Scott

ArmenJBX
10-01-2011, 06:04 PM
SqTZvVBnIjc

tfcleeds
10-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Iro may have a dream of making the Nigerian national squad, and I wish him well, but Nigeria is hurting big time if they'd even consider him. And that is a fact.

uncle p
10-02-2011, 01:21 AM
@ Pookie and Domin8r:

I am posting a link to an article, which has a sentence like this:

""The 26-year-old is hoping that his solid performances in MLS and the CONCACAF Champions League will earn him a call-up to the Nigeria national team, and the possibility of performing in tournaments such as the World Cup and African Cup of Nations."

and you try to execute me ASAP for this!

Thanks a lot, but I'm not feeling "touche" at all!

OK, then this means you consider Iro's performances solid ones, and you're happy that he's playing for TFC. Fine. That's your opinion, you have the right to have any opinion you want.

I consider Iro's performances crap ones, he's one of the worst defenders TFC ever had, a player we should get rid of before the next season. That's my opinion, and I have the right to have any opinion I want.

Did I say I hate Iro?
Man, so many drama queens on this board!

Said the guy with the 100 word essay defending his right to have an opinion while attacking another guys opinion....damn drama queens for real lol

__wowza
10-02-2011, 04:19 AM
lesh: he's had a few solid performances, and i do believe that hes let in far more goals than he's stopped, but i think what everyones trying to say is that we know that.

it's better to focus our hate on more deserving players (ie: the other team) than a guy who currently plays for us. we've been through this before with garcia, peterson, etc. i think its just a matter of having heard this stuff before.

no ill will or anything like that, thats just my two cents. good on him for wanting a crack at the national team though. its good to have goals like that, and if it makes him work that much harder to get there i got no complaints.

[NBF]
10-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Yup, and the reason he fucks up is not because he sucks.

Its because:

1. He has noone beside him to partner in defense.
2. Morgan is a rookie he gets beat, its not like hes as good a player as Eckersley. Harden is even slower than IRO and has the mobility of a fire truck. Eckersley is a great defender in MLS, but really all he does is highlight the massive gulf that is the area circling 3 metres around Harden.

Our backline:

----Eckersley------Harden------Iro------Morgan------

The only two players that constants on TFC's backline are Iro and Eckersley.

3. We continue to change formations against every opponent. Our back four should be a consistent group of players that know how to play together. Consistency in the selection. Like I said Iro and Eckersley are the only two guy back there.IMO our strongest lineup on defense

Eckersley-------Frings-----------Iro-----------Borman
--------Avila----Yourassowsky---DeGuzman----------
Marosevic------------------------------------Johnson
---------------------Koevermans---------------------

P.S.: If Harden wasn't weeded out of the team in February-March don't expect Iro to leave before Harden or before the start of the 2012 season.

torontocelt
10-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Only on the RPB forums (TM)[/quote]

Has Iro ever even been to Nigeria?

torontocelt
10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
He has had some "solid performances", and I'm happy to see he dreams of playing for his national side.

- Scott

Apart from he is English.

Island Man
10-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Apart from he is English.
See he could say he wants to play for England, but he is being realistic!

torontocelt
10-02-2011, 09:06 AM
See he could say he wants to play for England, but he is being realistic!

Was Owen Hargreaves being realistic when he chose England? Some people here have heavily criticized him for it despite the reality is that he was good enough to play for them. Isn't Iro another guy at the other end of the spectrum? I just find the concept of a player dreaming to play for a country he has never lived in to be quite absurd.

CSO_BBTB
10-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Given Hargreaves had never lived in England when he was at Bayern Munich are you not contradicting yourself?

Waggy
10-02-2011, 09:13 AM
;1386680']Yup, and the reason he fucks up is not because he sucks.

Its because:

1. He has noone beside him to partner in defense.
2. Morgan is a rookie he gets beat, its not like hes as good a player as Eckersley. Harden is even slower than IRO and has the mobility of a fire truck. Eckersley is a great defender in MLS, but really all he does is highlight the massive gulf that is the area circling 3 metres around Harden.

Our backline:

----Eckersley------Harden------Iro------Morgan------

The only two players that constants on TFC's backline are Iro and Eckersley.

3. We continue to change formations against every opponent. Our back four should be a consistent group of players that know how to play together. Consistency in the selection. Like I said Iro and Eckersley are the only two guy back there.IMO our strongest lineup on defense

Eckersley-------Frings-----------Iro-----------Borman
--------Avila----Yourassowsky---DeGuzman----------
Marosevic------------------------------------Johnson
---------------------Koevermans---------------------

P.S.: If Harden wasn't weeded out of the team in February-March don't expect Iro to leave before Harden or before the start of the 2012 season.

I actually thought both Iro and Harden had good games last night. Harden in particular had a few tackles 1 on 1 that prevented NY scoring chances or breaks.

torontocelt
10-02-2011, 09:15 AM
No I am saying any player who hasn't lived in a country they play for is ridiculous. How can people accept Iro though for playing for Nigeria but criticize Hargreaves for choosing England? You will find they are contradicting themselves.

CSO_BBTB
10-02-2011, 09:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargraves

He is the only player to have played for England without having previously lived in the United Kingdom, and only the second to have done so without having previously played in the English football league system (the first being Joe Baker).[3]

torontocelt
10-02-2011, 09:35 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Hargraves

He is the only player to have played for England without having previously lived in the United Kingdom, and only the second to have done so without having previously played in the English football league system (the first being Joe Baker).[3]

Dont really get your point as I know this and accept it.

maninb
10-02-2011, 09:58 AM
He a serviceable CB who adds depth at that position..perhaps not a starter but needed all the same...and anybody who rips Morgan is a fool...the kid has been improving steadily offensively and on D,,,he's our LB of the future....

JonO
10-02-2011, 10:12 AM
No I am saying any player who hasn't lived in a country they play for is ridiculous. How can people accept Iro though for playing for Nigeria but criticize Hargreaves for choosing England? You will find they are contradicting themselves.

Off topic, but I really do think there is a difference between the two. Iro is not good enough for England, so his only shot (as he sees it) is Nigeria. Can't begrudge him for wanting to play international football. Different to having the chance to play for either and making a choice between them.

Back on topic - to the original poster - I think the tone of your post is the issue. I don't think iro has shown enough to deserve a call up, but there's no need to laugh at a guy who has shown a good work ethic and some improvement. My 2c

Island Man
10-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I actually thought both Iro and Harden had good games last night. Harden in particular had a few tackles 1 on 1 that prevented NY scoring chances or breaks.
Harden was superb.

Carts
10-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Here we go again

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/movie/promo/angry-mob.jpg

I do find this funny because lets be honest, while Dero was here he could score 3-goals and you'd rip on him for his celebration of the fact he didn't score 4... Or maybe a 1-of-76 passes were misplaced, or he billed the team for a physio trip...

Anyway, that'll never change...

As for Iro...

As for the line in the article, he has had the 'odd' decent performance, but for the most part he has been poor - and unfortunately anyone that tries to paint him as a solid performer or decent acquisition at this point makes themself look foolish...

His work ethic is solid, his desire is there, and I hope he battles and improves and gets a good run of good games in, as his confidence is probably the biggest thing hurting his play right now (and we don't help on here)...

He has the physical tools (size, good reach) it all depends if he can put them together...

I'm a little surprised he was brought in. Obviously the staff saw something in him but it hasn't worked... Maybe they felt they were getting a steal with the physical tools, raw player, and that they could mold him into a solid defender...

I think a full off-season, with this staff, if his work ethic is there will do him wonders... Football football football should be his entire off season! Studying, working, studying, working, studying, training, etc etc etc - no wasted time or days. He can't afford a relaxing off season..

The pieces are there - they just need to be put together...

If that happens, and he comes in next season as a different player, and solid acquisition, he'll make the doubters look foolish, and the supporters of him will be the ones in the right, and the biggest benefit will be the club...

Carts...

TorontoGooner
10-02-2011, 12:07 PM
If a Red Patch Boys argument happens in a forest, will it still sound exactly the same as the last one?

DOMIN8R
10-02-2011, 12:12 PM
What the fuck does that mean?

ensco
10-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Frustrating times. Most roads lead nowhere when you're a poor team that can't realistically change players or managers anymore because both options have been done to such extremes already.

I agree that going after Iro is mostly pointless. He knows he's not succeeding. He's clearly hustling and doing his best.

The right thing is to wonder why Mariner rated him so highly (he was quite public about this at the time of the trade), but of course there are so many other things to look at in terms of the overall record in talent evaluation and cap management....let's just say that it's interesting how often Mariner and Winter talk about "all the guys who were here that couldn't pass a ball 15 meters", and then think about those statements in the context of bringing in Iro.....but..... it's the strong consensus around here that the management discussion should be put off until some point in 2012, so I guess that's when we'll do it.

jazzy
10-02-2011, 12:27 PM
If a Red Patch Boys argument happens in a forest, will it still sound exactly the same as the last one?

didn't know Kafka was a fan....this is very funny, if I even had a smidgen of what the F&&k you were talking about.

Carts
10-02-2011, 12:54 PM
The right thing is to wonder why Mariner rated him so highly (he was quite public about this at the time of the trade), but of course there are so many other things to look at in terms of the overall record in talent evaluation and cap management....let's just say that it's interesting how often Mariner and Winter talk about "all the guys who were here that couldn't pass a ball 15 meters", and then think about those statements in the context of bringing in Iro.....but..... it's the strong consensus around here that the management discussion should be put off until some point in 2012, so I guess that's when we'll do it.

My guess is they saw the tools (size, reach, strength) and thought they could mold him into a solid defender...

So far it hasn't worked, but with the staff we have, and a full off-season my guess is he'll improve (if they keep him around) quite a bit...

Waggy
10-02-2011, 01:04 PM

There's definitely an echo in here sometimes. But of course all the arguments will be negative vs positive outlook. That's how all sports arguments are. Here is just worse because the negative is borderline insufferable and somewhat detached from reality after 4 years of being beaten down, and the positive is incredibly defensive and anal out of years of being attacked by the negative side as irrational. A psychiatrist or sociologist could def do an interesting piece on the history of this place. Neither side has much credibility with the other, so it makes for some.... interesting discussion.

rocker
10-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Iro's physicality gave Rodgers a lot of problems last night. I think that's his best trait-- following an opponent around and not letting him get past him. But when the ball is at his feet, Iro really doesn't know what to do with it. Last night he had lots of time, no pressure, to pass a ball down the sideline to Morgan, but instead he passed it directly out of bounds. He really does crack under that pressure. The best option for him last night was just getting the ball out of his feet and to Frings or Dunfield, and letting them do the passes forward. Iro also can make rash challenges (nearly gave up a penalty to Agudelo near the end).

But at the time of the Iro signing, we had lost Cann and Williams, so the defense was in trouble. Whether we had room under the cap to grab someone from Europe (or whether someone was available) I dunno. So Mariner went for a guy who wasn't getting playing time but who Columbus acknowledged as a fine player (I believe he won some team award at one point). It was a bit of a gamble, but considering the options at the time, was probably the best that could be done. But Iro isn't an option for starting next unless he's paired with a great CB who can pass, preferably someone a foreign player with experience.

I concur with the comment above on Harden -- lately he has looked competent. He's better than Iro. My one complaint right now about Harden is he needs to be more aware of possible passes back to him after he passes the ball. When he makes a pass, he seems to think his work is over. Dunfield received a pass and needed to get to back to Harden, but Harden wasn't expecting it, and it nearly got them in trouble.

Waggy
10-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Iro's physicality gave Rodgers a lot of problems last night. I think that's his best trait-- following an opponent around and not letting him get past him. But when the ball is at his feet, Iro really doesn't know what to do with it. Last night he had lots of time, no pressure, to pass a ball down the sideline to Morgan, but instead he passed it directly out of bounds. He really does crack under that pressure. The best option for him last night was just getting the ball out of his feet and to Frings or Dunfield, and letting them do the passes forward. Iro also can make rash challenges (nearly gave up a penalty to Agudelo near the end).

But at the time of the Iro signing, we had lost Cann and Williams, so the defense was in trouble. Whether we had room under the cap to grab someone from Europe (or whether someone was available) I dunno. So Mariner went for a guy who wasn't getting playing time but who Columbus acknowledged as a fine player (I believe he won some team award at one point). It was a bit of a gamble, but considering the options at the time, was probably the best that could be done. But Iro isn't an option for starting next unless he's paired with a great CB who can pass, preferably someone a foreign player with experience.

I concur with the comment above on Harden -- lately he has looked competent. He's better than Iro. My one complaint right now about Harden is he needs to be more aware of possible passes back to him after he passes the ball. When he makes a pass, he seems to think his work is over. Dunfield received a pass and needed to get to back to Harden, but Harden wasn't expecting it, and it nearly got them in trouble.

He could also be in his own head a bit. He knows he had a poor start to his tenure here, he knows he's a free agent playing for a contract next year. He knows he's the current goat for fans. When playing D marking someone it's easy to concentrate on that and that alone, with the ball at his feet though he may just be over thinking/trying to do too much. I dunno. Not trying to make excuses for him but it wouldn't be the first time a guy trying to do too much has hurt his play

Carts
10-02-2011, 02:11 PM
He could also be in his own head a bit. He knows he had a poor start to his tenure here, he knows he's a free agent playing for a contract next year. He knows he's the current goat for fans. When playing D marking someone it's easy to concentrate on that and that alone, with the ball at his feet though he may just be over thinking/trying to do too much. I dunno. Not trying to make excuses for him but it wouldn't be the first time a guy trying to do too much has hurt his play

I agree, its amazing how confidence affects a footballer...

Chances are, his is not high right now. But, he has the physical tools - work hard in training and the off-season, work hard with our staff, and I think he'll imporve...

Pookie
10-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I do find this funny because lets be honest, while Dero was here he could score 3-goals and you'd rip on him for his celebration of the fact he didn't score 4... Or maybe a 1-of-76 passes were misplaced, or he billed the team for a physio trip...

Anyway, that'll never change...

Yes. Let's be honest. And while we are being honest, checking post history is a marvelous way to determine what someone actually said.

If you have troubles doing that, at the time of all the drama, I said I would cheer him while in red should he wish to play out his current contract. However, if he insisted on a DP slot and/or continued to put his own needs ahead of the team, I'd want him off the roster.

You are right though, some things never change.

ag futbol
10-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Too inconsistent to be counted on, period. This isn't like a striker where you can ride him while he gets hot and cold while only doing minimal damage to the team. If Iro has a bad game: we lose, and he has them too often.

I hate to sum up someone's stint at TFC in one play, but getting turned by Angel against Chivas sums up Iro perfectly for me. Poor technique, no football brain, team pays price. Good luck instilling those extremely basic qualities in a 26 year old professional.

DichioTFC
10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
To the mods, I would really prefer if all non-specific discussion of players that are likely to be bashed would be merged into one thread.

Call it the *Insert Player Here* Discussion Thread

trane
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I can also hope for a call up for the Italian National Team, due to my play in the RPB tourney.

Hope is good. Unrealistic hope is silly. Putting it this way, setting high goals is a way to push yourself to great things, but setting stupind unrealistic hopes is a way to bitter disapointment and wasting time.

Fort York Redcoat
10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Which one of these spots is Iro after?

DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Joseph Yobo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Yobo) (Captain) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_%28association_football%29) September 6, 1980 (1980-09-06) (age 31) 78 6 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Flag_of_Turkey.svg/22px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey) Fenerbahçe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenerbah%C3%A7e_S.K._%28football_team%29)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Taye Taiwo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taye_Taiwo) April 16, 1985 (1985-04-16) (age 26) 48 5 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy) Milan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.C._Milan)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Uwa Elderson Echiéjilé (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwa_Elderson_Echi%C3%A9jil%C3%A9) January 20, 1988 (1988-01-20) (age 23) 15 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Flag_of_Portugal.svg/22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal) Sporting Braga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.C._Braga)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Dele Adeleye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dele_Adeleye) December 25, 1988 (1988-12-25) (age 22) 9 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Flag_of_Ukraine.svg/22px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine) Tavriya Simferopol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavriya_Simferopol)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Chibuzor Okonkwo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibuzor_Okonkwo) December 16, 1988 (1988-12-16) (age 22) 8 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Flag_of_Nigeria.svg/22px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria) Heartland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland_F.C.)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Efe Ambrose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efe_Ambrose) October 18, 1988 (1988-10-18) (age 22) 7 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Flag_of_Israel.svg/22px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel) Ashdod (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._Ashdod)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Gege Soriola (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gege_Soriola&action=edit&redlink=1) November 21, 1988 (1988-11-21) (age 22) 0 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Flag_of_South_Africa.svg/22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa) Free State Stars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Stars)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Ugo Ukah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugo_Ukah) January 18, 1984 (1984-01-18) (age 27) 0 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/Flag_of_Poland.svg/22px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland) Widzew Łódź (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widzew_%C5%81%C3%B3d%C5%BA)

I think we got this thread covered.

Interesting angle for the article but it's likelihood of happening makes the journalist look unknowledgeable about his subject.

Another dogpile thread on Iro does seem petty but for the purpose of discussion does anyone know anything about the present Nigerian defenders and if any of them have a scouse accent? :D

jabbronies
10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Iro, shit.
Borman, shit.
Harden, shit.

Would I get rid of Iro? - maybe not. Give him a pre-season to see how he pans out IMO

The other two - GONE!

ManUtd4ever
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Frustrating times. Most roads lead nowhere when you're a poor team that can't realistically change players or managers anymore because both options have been done to such extremes already.

I agree that going after Iro is mostly pointless. He knows he's not succeeding. He's clearly hustling and doing his best.

Respectfully, I think your assessment of Mariner and Winter's collective ability to evaluate talent is somewhat shortsighted if you are basing your opinion primarily on the acquisition of Andy Iro.

In retrospect, I will be the first person to acknowledge that trading Tony Tchani (although he has been on injured reserve most of the season) to Columbus for Iro and Griffit was a questionable move at best, but how can you possibly ignore the positive impact of the other players acquired since the summer transfer window?

I think the acquisitions of Frings, Koevermans, Johnson, Dunfield, Avila, and Marosevic have collectively bolstered TFC's roster considerably, and management relinquished negligible assets to acquire them in Peterson, Gordon, Attakora, and Santos.

Of all the TFC players that have departed since the summer transfer window, only Santos and Gordon (prior to his season ending injury) have had a minimal impact with their new clubs, combining for a total of 3 goals.

Conversely, if I'm not mistaken, the players TFC acquired since the summer transfer window have already combined for 14 goals.

Based on the evidence thus far, I think Winter and Mariner have done an admirable job evaluating and recruiting talent.

Wull
10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Which one of these spots is Iro after?

DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Joseph Yobo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Yobo) (Captain) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_%28association_football%29) September 6, 1980 (1980-09-06) (age 31) 78 6 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Flag_of_Turkey.svg/22px-Flag_of_Turkey.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey) Fenerbahçe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenerbah%C3%A7e_S.K._%28football_team%29)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Taye Taiwo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taye_Taiwo) April 16, 1985 (1985-04-16) (age 26) 48 5 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Flag_of_Italy.svg/22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy) Milan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.C._Milan)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Uwa Elderson Echiéjilé (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwa_Elderson_Echi%C3%A9jil%C3%A9) January 20, 1988 (1988-01-20) (age 23) 15 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Flag_of_Portugal.svg/22px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal) Sporting Braga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.C._Braga)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Dele Adeleye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dele_Adeleye) December 25, 1988 (1988-12-25) (age 22) 9 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Flag_of_Ukraine.svg/22px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine) Tavriya Simferopol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavriya_Simferopol)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Chibuzor Okonkwo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibuzor_Okonkwo) December 16, 1988 (1988-12-16) (age 22) 8 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Flag_of_Nigeria.svg/22px-Flag_of_Nigeria.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria) Heartland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland_F.C.)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Efe Ambrose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efe_Ambrose) October 18, 1988 (1988-10-18) (age 22) 7 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Flag_of_Israel.svg/22px-Flag_of_Israel.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel) Ashdod (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._Ashdod)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Gege Soriola (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gege_Soriola&action=edit&redlink=1) November 21, 1988 (1988-11-21) (age 22) 0 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Flag_of_South_Africa.svg/22px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa) Free State Stars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_State_Stars)
DF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_%28association_football%29) Ugo Ukah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugo_Ukah) January 18, 1984 (1984-01-18) (age 27) 0 0 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/12/Flag_of_Poland.svg/22px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland) Widzew Łódź (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widzew_%C5%81%C3%B3d%C5%BA)

I think we got this thread covered.

Interesting angle for the article but it's likelihood of happening makes the journalist look unknowledgeable about his subject.

Another dogpile thread on Iro does seem petty but for the purpose of discussion does anyone know anything about the present Nigerian defenders and if any of them have a scouse accent? :D

Joey was developing one until we loaned him to Fenerbahce!! :D

trane
10-03-2011, 01:51 PM
^ Yobo on his worst day is miles above Iro.

TOBOR !
10-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Timing is everything.

Derko
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
There is no sound in a vacuum, that can be a good thing at times.

Fishnicker
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Didn't Mariner at the time say the we picked up Iro because he's a left footed defender? We don't have any on the roster and Mariner said they're aren't many in the league either.

Is a left footed CB the equivalent of the right hand shot offensive D in hockey? Even if they're mediocre it's always better to have one than someone playing on their off side.

trane
10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
^ I do not think that being left footed makes such a big difference for a CB, the passes that a LCB is not very different then what a RCB, both are playing centraly. It would be preferable to have a left footed LCB, but I never heard of it being a major issue. Clearly it is very different for a LFB, there being left-footed, for the sake of crossing, passing, and even intercepting the ball at times. For a CB, I can not see that it is a huge issue.

MartinUtd
10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Dicoy Williams is left footed. I have a feeling he'll be 1st in line for the 2nd CB spot.

I'm still holding out for Materazzi to be picked up for league max + allocation $$$. Not sure what his dominant foot is, but I don't care.

trane
10-03-2011, 02:49 PM
^ Materazzi in this league would be fun. Henry and him on Saturday would have been classic.

trane
10-03-2011, 02:51 PM
^ He has had 25 red cards in his career. In this league he could get 10 a season.

jazzy
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I agree, its amazing how confidence affects a footballer...

Chances are, his is not high right now. But, he has the physical tools - work hard in training and the off-season, work hard with our staff, and I think he'll imporve...

^bump..Give the guy a break (refering to the main thread),..ok he's hurt us occasionally. But it's obvious he has great determination and a will to succeed, it's just that as we all know patience is a virtue. But that goes hand in hand with confidence, which he has probably burned away. However we fault players without heart and commitment and this he has in spades. IF he can slow down and think practically, remembering his weakness's he could be fine off the bench. He does need some guidance though. For instance look at Stinson, he was at first everywhere gunho, and overplaying, now with Winters AND most importantly Frings to guide him he is more often than not ahead of the ball and playing a thinking man's game. And I take exception on the criticism of his desire to play for his country...(again main thread).God knows we jump all over our Canuks when they refuse that privilege......Good on him,...lets not be hypocritical.

jabbronies
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Dicoy Williams is left footed. I have a feeling he'll be 1st in line for the 2nd CB spot.

I'm still holding out for Materazzi to be picked up for league max + allocation $$$. Not sure what his dominant foot is, but I don't care.

I spoke to DeClerk about our defensive line after the town hall last week. We both agreed that we are missing a general in the back and that is what they'll be looking for in the off-season. But he seemed really enthusiastic about Dicoy and Bouchiba coming back next year. Was actually really high on Bouchiba's ability.

jazzy
10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
^ Materazzi in this league would be fun. Henry and him on Saturday would have been classic.

^That would have been uplifting,...as per Winter/Deklerk they seem to feel being left footed at his position is a plus...as expressed at town hall

MartinUtd
10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I spoke to DeClerk about our defensive line after the town hall last week. We both agreed that we are missing a general in the back and that is what they'll be looking for in the off-season. But he seemed really enthusiastic about Dicoy and Bouchiba coming back next year. Was actually really high on Bouchiba's ability.

Great news. I just hope a season off doesn't affect him too much.

Speaking of which.. does anyone know what the deal with Nicholas Lindsey is? (I know this is an Iro thread but this doesn't deserve it's own thread).

And Trane, I want to see Materazzi in this lleague just to piss off every other team and supporter. Agudelo and Montero would be shit scared to step anywhere near our third.

ensco
10-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Respectfully, I think your assessment of Mariner and Winter's collective ability to evaluate talent is somewhat shortsighted if you are basing your opinion primarily on the acquisition of Andy Iro.

It's not, but I'll wait until people generally are ready to talk about this, and then we'll hash it out :auto:

Technorgasm
10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I dont think Iro is that bad. . I really dont.

A lot of teams in this leageu have defenders that are FAR worse then him .

as proved cuz TFC has scored a few goals this season.

* ba-dum-dum-TISH!