PDA

View Full Version : Pregame: 1 Oct: NYRB @ Toronto

Yohan
09-30-2011, 03:39 PM
NY has won last 4 games. Time to snap that streak!

Detroit_TFC
09-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Apparently Ballouchy can't travel due to a visa problem. Unfortunately, him off the NJRB roster probably improves their chances.

Oldtimer
09-30-2011, 03:51 PM
5-0 Toronto. Just because.

mastermixer
09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Marquez will make his return after being suspended the last game. Hopefully we see a little drama that night.

BuSaPuNk
09-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Marquez back in the lineup the dissent in the locker room and coming off 4 straight wins as the signs of a let down game.

Island Man
09-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Marquez back? Then we have a chance! Rather him play than not, been awful.

Need Danny K to be on top form.

Auzzy
10-01-2011, 02:29 AM
LOL, just trying to do some math here, because some news article stated that TFC is not yet officially/mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Here's the current playoff situation: http://www.mlssoccer.com/playoffstandings

New York Red Bulls currently hold the last playoff spot, at 39 points, 30 games played, and with a goal differential of +5.

TFC currently has 30 points from 31 games played, and a -23 goal differential. So if we want to make the playoffs, we have to (at least) get above NY in the table, right? Oops, we only have 3 games left, giving us a maximum 9 more points, and tying us with NY in the end -- IF they lose all 4 of their remaining games incl. vs TFC on Saturday -- minor detail. :D

So then we would be tied on points with NY, but the goal differential between the two teams is 28, and that's the first tie breaker, right? So I think TFC should beat NY tomorrow, how about 6-0, brings the goal differential between the teams to 16, right? Then how about TFC wins their last two games by 4-0, and NY loses their last 3 games by 3-0. That gives NY a goal differential of -10, and TFC a -9, presto bingo, we're in!

Since NY is playing playing top-3 teams in their remaining 3 games (LA, KC, and Philadelphia) there's no harm done to us if their opponents get maximum points.

Another minor detail: DC, Portland, Chicago, Chivas, and San Jose should also lose their remaining games, unless they're playing each other -- in that case, a tie, or an occasional win by the lower-placed team, would be needed.

So if my math is right, I'm saying we have a chance... :D :D :D

(PS IT'S A JOKE!!)

Keystone FC
10-01-2011, 04:12 AM
as of right now the forecast is looking kind of gloomy. Cold and wet with sunset 30 minutes before kick off.
http://www.accuweather.com/canada-weather-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&postalcode=M3H 6A7&metric=1

I don't know if this favors NY or TFC but one thing for sure. The weather will play a roll in this match.

10-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Not a big occasion, but at the last match, some of us were talking in 117 about how many TFC matches there has been at BMO. I know in the Paul Beirne letter I got in the mail this week, he said there'd been over 100.

Quick math tells me they've played 92 competitive matches (15 x 5 seasons of MLS, 2 x 4 seasons of NCC, 1 + 4 + 4 in CLL)

Add in the 7 friendlies (which I don't like to do) Benfica, Aston Villa, Pachuca, Independiente, River Plate, Real Madrid and Bolton.

That means tonight is the 100th TFC match at BMO (not counting reserve matches).

Am I missing any? I'd rather consider the 5th game of next season the true 100 (dropping the 7 friendlies, of course).

The time does fly, doesn't it?

Auzzy
10-01-2011, 10:13 AM
as of right now the forecast is looking kind of gloomy. Cold and wet with sunset 30 minutes before kick off.
http://www.accuweather.com/canada-weather-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&postalcode=M3H 6A7&metric=1

I don't know if this favors NY or TFC but one thing for sure. The weather will play a roll in this match.

The Weather Network for Toronto Islands says only 20% chance of rain this afternoon and evening, 11 degrees & wind 34 kmh from the north at game time, rain not expected until 3am. I tend to believe Weather Network more for this area.

But yeah it will be cold, I'm thinking long johns. Or single malt & shirts off.

gunnerken
10-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Not a big occasion, but at the last match, some of us were talking in 117 about how many TFC matches there has been at BMO. I know in the Paul Beirne letter I got in the mail this week, he said there'd been over 100.

Quick math tells me they've played 92 competitive matches (15 x 5 seasons of MLS, 2 x 4 seasons of NCC, 1 + 4 + 4 in CLL)

Add in the 7 friendlies (which I don't like to do) Benfica, Aston Villa, Pachuca, Independiente, River Plate, Real Madrid and Bolton.

That means tonight is the 100th TFC match at BMO (not counting reserve matches).

Am I missing any? I'd rather consider the 5th game of next season the true 100 (dropping the 7 friendlies, of course).

The time does fly, doesn't it?

I will say there's been 102 actually...there is a supporter just in front of me in 111, Kevin, who has been to every TFC game, and we celebrated his 100th a couple of games ago...(I sang a song that went to the tune of "Bottles of Beer on the Wall"...A 100 games of TFC, and Kevin's seen them all !)

We are hoping he makes it to 111 in Section 111..he takes a pic of himself at the game and logs it in to his computer...anal, but dedicated :)

Rudi
10-01-2011, 12:45 PM
NY has won last 4 games.
Huh? They're actually on a one-game winning "streak."

They lost 3-1 to RSL two games ago.

Whoop
10-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Huh? They're actually on a one-game winning "streak."

They lost 3-1 to RSL two games ago.

I wasn't sure what Yohan was referring to at first, but I think he means NY has won the last 4 meetings between Toronto and NY.

Rudi
10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I wasn't sure what Yohan was referring to at first, but I think he means NY has won the last 4 meetings between Toronto and NY.
Ah, right. That makes much more sense (and is far more depressing, given the scorelines of those games. :()

Phil
10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
QEW is messed up heading into the city. Build in extra time!

Canada72
10-01-2011, 03:37 PM
LOL, just trying to do some math here, because some news article stated that TFC is not yet officially/mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Here's the current playoff situation: http://www.mlssoccer.com/playoffstandings

New York Red Bulls currently hold the last playoff spot, at 39 points, 30 games played, and with a goal differential of +5.

TFC currently has 30 points from 31 games played, and a -23 goal differential. So if we want to make the playoffs, we have to (at least) get above NY in the table, right? Oops, we only have 3 games left, giving us a maximum 9 more points, and tying us with NY in the end -- IF they lose all 4 of their remaining games incl. vs TFC on Saturday -- minor detail. :D

So then we would be tied on points with NY, but the goal differential between the two teams is 28, and that's the first tie breaker, right? So I think TFC should beat NY tomorrow, how about 6-0, brings the goal differential between the teams to 16, right? Then how about TFC wins their last two games by 4-0, and NY loses their last 3 games by 3-0. That gives NY a goal differential of -10, and TFC a -9, presto bingo, we're in!

Since NY is playing playing top-3 teams in their remaining 3 games (LA, KC, and Philadelphia) there's no harm done to us if their opponents get maximum points.

Another minor detail: DC, Portland, Chicago, Chivas, and San Jose should also lose their remaining games, unless they're playing each other -- in that case, a tie, or an occasional win by the lower-placed team, would be needed.

So if my math is right, I'm saying we have a chance... :D :D :D

(PS IT'S A JOKE!!)

Do you think MLS would work like almost every other league in the world, of course not!

This is the first tie breaker:

1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)

Full Rules

http://www.mlssoccer.com/competition-rules-and-regulations

Canada72
10-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Auzzy
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Aarrrggghh.. someone else do the math please. Soooo.... are you saying we have a chance? ;)

10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
That is very cool!! I'm wondering if maybe the All-Star and MLS Cup game were counted in that total? Because I can't really think of what games I would be missing. 75 league, 8 V-Cup, 9 CCL and 7 friendlies. Great record for Kevin, btw!!

I will say there's been 102 actually...there is a supporter just in front of me in 111, Kevin, who has been to every TFC game, and we celebrated his 100th a couple of games ago...(I sang a song that went to the tune of "Bottles of Beer on the Wall"...A 100 games of TFC, and Kevin's seen them all !)

We are hoping he makes it to 111 in Section 111..he takes a pic of himself at the game and logs it in to his computer...anal, but dedicated :)

LesH
10-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Go Reds!

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

I won't be able to see the game because I need to go to a party, but I hope when I'll get home around 11 PM and I come to this board I could read about a TFC win with at least 2 goals difference, and a good game!

:drinking:

JavierMartini
10-01-2011, 05:29 PM
plata is match fit :D

Island Man
10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Kocic; Stinson, Harden, Iro, Morgan; Frings, Dunfield, Avila; Marosevic, Koevermans, Johnson ..

Island Man
10-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Frei; Henry, Borman, de Guzman, Soolsma, Omphroy, Plata

JavierMartini
10-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Frei; Henry, Borman, de Guzman, Soolsma, Omphroy, Plata

I hope to see some of mr. plata today!