PDA

View Full Version : Is football a physical game?

trane
09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I wrote a long passage about this, but then I was distracted by work, and lost it. But this is an issue for me in Canada, everyone talks about the MLS being a physical league, but then in amatuer play I see/here alot of bitching about physicality ( although it is mostly restricted to non-European/non-ethnic play). I understand, slide tackles and rekless challanges are not called for anywere. But many of the wanabee messis, pretend that you should play by giving them one foot of space at all times. I even got people complaining about leaning on them with the shoulder in the box. Even in Sweden the land of gentle blond social democrats I never got any bitching about physical play (defending) as I see and get here.

I do not mean this as a bitch fest but I am trying to understand what the general view of what is allowable in football is.

Whoop
09-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Yes football is a physical game but not at the rec level, though it depends on the rec level. If it's a 30-40 year old co-ed, rec level league then no there shouldn't be as much physical play as there would be in a 20-30 year old men's league where most of the guys have played some form of high level football.

Canary10
09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
My number one rule: if they're wearing flourescent green boots, take them out.

eustacchio
09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
It's definitely physical.

People complaining about you leaning on them are ridiculous.

trane
09-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Yes football is a physical game but not at the rec level, though it depends on the rec level. If it's a 30-40 year old co-ed, rec level league then no there shouldn't be as much physical play as there would be in a 20-30 year old men's league where most of the guys have played some form of high level football.

First rule, not co-ed. But if it is men, you do not want contact then do not call it football call it "kicking, passing and running".

[ I do agree with the no slide tackling thing, as it is too prone to big injury]

prizby
09-30-2011, 10:00 AM
isn't the saying something like:

rugby is a thugs sport played by gentlemen and football is a gentleman's game played by thugs

ag futbol
09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
It's physical, but to a point. That's why soccer has this passive-aggressive thing about it. You can use your physical ability but not in all situations.

In general I think the game could do without the shirt pulling, elbows up, "I didn't mean to break his leg I just play this sloppy all the time", kind of bs.

ACSertL
09-30-2011, 10:04 AM
I wrote a long passage about this, but then I was distracted by work, and lost it. But this is an issue for me in Canada, everyone talks about the MLS being a physical league, but then in amatuer play I see/here alot of bitching about physicality ( although it is mostly restricted to non-European/non-ethnic play). I understand, slide tackles and rekless challanges are not called for anywere. But many of the wanabee messis, pretend that you should play by giving them one foot of space at all times. I even got people complaining about leaning on them with the shoulder in the box. Even in Sweden the land of gentle blond social democrats I never got any bitching about physical play (defending) as I see and get here.

I do not mean this as a bitch fest but I am trying to understand what the general view of what is allowable in football is.

You were at the Brampton Soccer Centre last night weren't you? ;)

trane
09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
^ I missed it. Hearings all week.

[ Bey the way I have played in not co-ed games, but with a few girls in Sweden and they were playing as physicaly as the guys, fighting for their space]

trane
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
It's physical, but to a point. That's why soccer has this passive-aggressive thing about it. You can use your physical ability but not in all situations.

In general I think the game could do without the shirt pulling, elbows up, "I didn't mean to break his leg I just play this sloppy all the time", kind of bs.

I have played physical all my life, and I have never hurt anybody (seriously). Most of the breaks I have seen come from poor slide tackles, or trips at speed. Playing at the back, you try to cut down on speed by getting in good posisions were he has to slow down. Bumps and bruises come with the territory. I get tones, when I play. Bloody noses as well. But again most of the time I am around the ball is in and around the box.

ACSertL
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
^ I missed it. Hearings all week.

[ Bey the way I have played in not co-ed games, but with a few girls in Sweden and they were playing as physicaly as the guys, fighting for their space]

I just thought that you had a rough experience with some of the kids that play there sometimes. After about 5 minutes of being on the pitch with you and a few collisions, they want absolutely nothing to do with you my friend :lol:

trane
09-30-2011, 10:15 AM
^ But that is the game plan, you get physical they stay out of the box, and take wild shot from 18 +. NO harm no faul and most imporatatly no goal. hahaha.

Oblio2
09-30-2011, 11:19 AM
My number one rule: if they're wearing flourescent green boots, take them out.

+1

and early too

Derko
09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
I enjoy the physical game, good fair takles, no studs up, winning the ball, using your body, it's great, as well as the technically smooth passing, dribbling. It's the whole package isn't it.

TOBOR !
09-30-2011, 01:00 PM

eh ? maybe in the premier divisions, but not anywhere south of Div. 2. The talent may vary, but there's tons of goons down there. In some leagues that's almost all it is.

trane
09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
I enjoy the physical game, good fair takles, no studs up, winning the ball, using your body, it's great, as well as the technically smooth passing, dribbling. It's the whole package isn't it.

Agreed. That is a given.

Cashcleaner
09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
isn't the saying something like:

rugby is a thugs sport played by gentlemen and football is a gentleman's game played by thugs

The quote goes more like: "Rugby is a sport played by thugs and watched by gentlemen. Football is a sport played by gentlemen and watched by thugs."

I think Ag summed it up best when he said "It's physical, but to a point. That's why soccer has this passive-aggressive thing about it. You can use your physical ability but not in all situations" To me, that speaks volumes about the fundamentals of the sport. Because soccer is such a cerebral game that combines timing, skill, and stamina; even the more physical aspects have a certain time and place.

trane
09-30-2011, 03:19 PM
^ Agreed, I think physicality is one of the components of the game. As you say the game is celbral, and this is how we were taught in Italy, to alway read and visualize the game. Physicality is a component that can be used effectively particullalryin certain positons and situations.

Jack
09-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Stop being a goon, Trane. :D

TFCin110
10-01-2011, 12:01 AM
If you play in a league where everyone has to get up and go to work the next then physical play is no good.

Shakes McQueen
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Physicality is an aspect of nearly all of the big team sports. Physicality is a part of football, the way it's a part of something like basketball - not so much football or hockey, where taking big hits is just part of the game.

So muscling a guy off the ball is fine. A bit of shoving is fine. Guys coming together going for a header is fine. Flying into a guy at full tilt is not. Basketball is all about a bit of muscling and bumping too.

- Scott

trane
10-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Stop being a goon, Trane. :D

You got me. I try but I cannot help it.:flare:

I am too oooooltra.

JonO
10-01-2011, 09:09 AM
The quote goes more like: "Rugby is a sport played by thugs and watched by gentlemen. Football is a sport played by gentlemen and watched by thugs."

actually, I believe prizby's version is more common

http://jottingsonrugby.com/2010/05/22/rugby-football-hooligans-and-gentlemen/

trane
10-01-2011, 01:17 PM
I am no gentlemen and I play football like it is rugby. [joke]