PDA

View Full Version : Justice For Ray

SmokedPanda
09-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I do not have the words to express how I feel after reading and seeing the words and pictures describing this human beings face after a soccer game he played in.

http://www.facebook.com/JusticeForRay

Please help spread this story to make the person who did this accountable and for the Hershey Centre to smarten up for taking no actions

London
09-29-2011, 02:39 PM
keeper should be banned

Pookie
09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
keeper should be banned

And charged with assault

Suds
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm guessing the police are involved?

WestStandGeoff
09-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Name and shame - anyone play in that league that can find out who the keeper is?

Anyone know if this is the guy?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/adam-difranco/13/a2a/b84

Only name that shows up when searching for Adam DiFranco in GTA, and age seems to fit the demographic.

Chevy
09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
F**k. This type of shit is happening in a co-ed recreational league?

ag futbol
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Not surprised, and its a large part of the reason why when my university years came I dropped stopped playing anything competitive and settled for pickup, coaching kids, and other activities around the sport (as I side note, I still play coed, yikes).

I have numerous friends who have suffered broken legs, ankles, collarbones playing (essentially meaningless) men's league games ... There are just so many douche bags out there who think they need to save their pride by severely hurting people.

Unfortunately, officiating in Canada is still pretty weak and players don't get the protection they need.

MartinUtd
09-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Pretty shocking stuff for a rec league game. Here's the FB post for anyone who doesnt have access

Justice For Ray (http://www.facebook.com/JusticeForRay)
The Damage:
Ray Ray (DJR2) was playing soccer at the Hershey centre on Monday night in the first game of the season on a Division 5 Co-ed recreational league. After scoring 3 goals, He was head butted by the goalie and as a result, has multiple facial fractures, at least 3 teeth gone, his nose was pushed into his face an inch, and his upper lip is seriously lacerated.

Justice for Ray

What Happened:
Numerous attempts to contact Hershey Centre and Ontario Soccer Association to step in and do something about this because many in attendance felt that this was an attempt to injure. Simply because the individual, Adam DiFranco, was playing as the goalie in the second half and as the ball was lobbed up to Ray, he ran out of his box approximately 15 feet and while trying to "punch" the ball, ends up punching Ray in the chest while he drops his head and runs his head into and though Ray's face. Sometimes accidents happen, sometimes people don't like losing. Another teammate of Ray's was already threatened by the individual, Adam Difranco, that "he would break their leg" during the first half of the game. Showing no remorse for his actions, and the hershey centre saying that this was an accident, the police need a better picture of what actually happened.

Our Support:
Anyone with information, who may have seen this incident, please call the police to let the investigators know what actually happened!
We have filed a formal investigation and the file number is: 1130-8950 The person in charge of this file is Constable Soares.
905-453-2121 Ext. 1233

The Justice for Ray is dependent on those witnesses. No one deserves to be hurt like this in a recreational game from a sore loser.

On a side note.. is this the Toronto breaks DJ that was around 10 or so years ago?

WestStandGeoff
09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Not surprised, and its a large part of the reason why when my university years came I dropped stopped playing anything competitive and settled for pickup, coaching kids, and other activities around the sport (as I side note, I still play coed, yikes).

I have numerous friends who have suffered broken legs, ankles, collarbones playing (essentially meaningless) men's league games ... There are just so many douche bags out there who think they need to save their pride by severely hurting people.

Unfortunately, officiating in Canada is still pretty weak and players don't get the protection they need.

Couldn't agree more - reminds me of the douche bags that used to slash the shit out of my arms playing rec hockey. Seemed mostly the types that grew up playing ball hockey and couldn't skate, and saw my better skating skills (although still relatively shitty) as some kind of threat to them winning the D-level rec league, obviously paving the way to a staring position with the Leafs.

eustacchio
09-29-2011, 04:07 PM
A co-worker just sent this to me.

Seriously for the first game of a fifth division, co-ed, rec league.

I've been in a couple of bench clearers playing rep, and that's by far worse than anything that had started any of them.

yellowfellow
09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
WTF...unbelieveable.

trane
09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I am kind of puzzled by this. I have played football since I was a young child, and I have played it in Italy, Croatia, Serbia, Sweden and played with some very, very rough and big dudes, competitive games, and games were there were big rivalries. I have seen some huge colissions, and once were there was clear intent to injure But this injury seems over the top. How the fuck does this happen? I cannot see the keeper expecting to injure the dude this bad. He may have been overly aggresive, but it must have been the speed of both players that caused this, and I would have to think that the injured dude was also somewhat reckless. As far as him putting his head down, that is the natural thing that people do when colliding.

The injuries I have seen were usualy brakes of legs, gashes from cleets,ribs, a broken noses, lose teeth, but nothing like this, this dude looks like he was beaten up. The worst I have seen was that Canadian player in Championship, broke his skull, but I understood how that happened. If I saw this dude I would think someone took the boots to him.

Or they are making the injury sound worse then it is. A broken nose looks bad, but hey it happens.

TorCanSoc
09-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Jeeziz. 30 years of rec soccer for me, I've never seen anything like it.

And co-ed? Seriously.... co-ed?

What's worst is the concept of this Div-5? Does this mean what I think it means (ie. ranked by ability), then I would imagine most Div-5 players have never even played the game before.

Truly horrifying.

AL-MO
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
A friend of mine texted me about this. Her BF plays on the same team.

This is either on the referee for not making a report, or on the facility for not acting.

Its pretty simple.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-29-2011, 05:25 PM
at first glance looking at his pic...i thought he was beating to near death....its incredible the amount of damage cause my a single head but to the face....

Hope this lad gets well....and if there was intent..i hope this goalie pays the price

graeme117
09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
i was there, it was one of the most ridiculous things i've seen. the keeper came out way too strong and way too stupid (clearly), but i don't know that there was as much malice in it as the FB post suggests (obviously there's no way to hear the alleged threats from the sideline). though i wouldn't be surprised if he gets kicked out of the league or charges are pressed.

Also the keeper sustained a bloody injury to his head, there was a tonne of blood pouring from where the teeth hit his forehead. The ref is a good ref, he did our match right afterword, and i've had him in the past, no complaints. most of the staff including the ref seemed to be in shock, and as far as a report, i don't know about the OSA but incident reports were being filled out at the time by the city staff.

the HC was really slow (unnervingly) in getting the player help. they took their time bringing in first aid, more time calling the ambulance, and had him just sat there in an ever widening puddle of blood. It happened at ~9:30 and he was still on the field ~40 minutes later. at one point one of the players ran from the pitch heaving from all the blood.

an awful incident. i really hope this guy gets all he needs, that sort of stuff just shouldn't happen. it was a brutal challenge and ray's injuries are brutal. i hope his recovery is quick, the image of him on the field is one of those you don't forget

trane
09-29-2011, 07:20 PM
^ I figured that the teeth must have hit the head, I would imagine as ray was comming down. Not that I am trying to CSI this thing, I just figured that while the challange must have been inapropriate no one would expect this level of injury.

I have been in many came were guys, tried to hurt guys, and did nothing close to this level and type of injury.

TorontoGooner
09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
This kind of shit puts me off from playing over here. Seen far too many injuries from people trying to run the show.

flambe
09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
THis doesn't surprise me at all. Playing rec league co-Ed through tcssc I played against a goalie who made three 2 footed studs up tackles on me and other team-mates. Apparently the first was an "accident". Luckily no one got badly hurt although I had my legs taken out from me and landed on my back. I told the keeper that no slide tackles were allowed let alone ridiculous fouls and he laughed and said sorry. Then did it twice more. Losing my shit I told the other team captain who told me to take it up with tcssc. I ended up calling my team off the field. Basically there are serious douche bags out there. Very little is ever done and tcssc did nothing.

Unfortunately I doubt anything will ever come of rays situation as I exPect it will come down to he said/she said which is a shame.

However, listing a linked-in profile of some guy with the same name is not cool either.

Hope ray has a speedy recovery.

jazzy
09-29-2011, 08:42 PM
people who play sports in this manner are ironically, far from being tough or remotely resembling any form of a real 'man'(sic).....so many people with 'masculinity' issues ruin competitive team sports, and I can lay it out with the best of them.......but simply find tough FAIR competition and gaining new friends simply rewarding. Don't anyone kid themselves, this incident will change Ray's life forever. Sincerely hope he can find the right friends and will, to enjoy life and sports again! Bullshit on the accident part. One CHOOSES to play recklessly!

AL-MO
09-29-2011, 08:47 PM
THis doesn't surprise me at all. Playing rec league co-Ed through tcssc I played against a goalie who made three 2 footed studs up tackles on me and other team-mates. Apparently the first was an "accident". Luckily no one got badly hurt although I had my legs taken out from me and landed on my back. I told the keeper that no slide tackles were allowed let alone ridiculous fouls and he laughed and said sorry. Then did it twice more. Losing my shit I told the other team captain who told me to take it up with tcssc. I ended up calling my team off the field. Basically there are serious douche bags out there. Very little is ever done and tcssc did nothing.

Unfortunately I doubt anything will ever come of rays situation as I exPect it will come down to he said/she said which is a shame.

However, listing a linked-in profile of some guy with the same name is not cool either.

Hope ray has a speedy recovery.

That league is a joke.

AL-MO
09-29-2011, 08:49 PM
i was there, it was one of the most ridiculous things i've seen. the keeper came out way too strong and way too stupid (clearly), but i don't know that there was as much malice in it as the FB post suggests (obviously there's no way to hear the alleged threats from the sideline). though i wouldn't be surprised if he gets kicked out of the league or charges are pressed.

Also the keeper sustained a bloody injury to his head, there was a tonne of blood pouring from where the teeth hit his forehead. The ref is a good ref, he did our match right afterword, and i've had him in the past, no complaints. most of the staff including the ref seemed to be in shock, and as far as a report, i don't know about the OSA but incident reports were being filled out at the time by the city staff.

the HC was really slow (unnervingly) in getting the player help. they took their time bringing in first aid, more time calling the ambulance, and had him just sat there in an ever widening puddle of blood. It happened at ~9:30 and he was still on the field ~40 minutes later. at one point one of the players ran from the pitch heaving from all the blood.

an awful incident. i really hope this guy gets all he needs, that sort of stuff just shouldn't happen. it was a brutal challenge and ray's injuries are brutal. i hope his recovery is quick, the image of him on the field is one of those you don't forget

That doesn't matter. You have to be responsible for your actions.

AL-MO
09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I just got a text saying the league has suspended the player (keeper) indefinitely.

graeme117
09-29-2011, 09:44 PM
I just got a text saying the league has suspended the player (keeper) indefinitely.

that's probably all they can do right?

AL-MO
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
you do have to take responsibility for your actions; but, though it doesn't change the consequences for the injured or the keeper, it maters. especially if some are considering undertaking some form of online-justice.

just a thought.

For sure. I'm just talking strictly about punishment from the league.

Online-justice is total BS. (although the person that texted me felt that the facebook page led to the Hershey Center actually doing something about this - so take that for what its worth).

AL-MO
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
that's probably all they can do right?

Speaking from experience, as a league/facility yes that is really all they can do.

Carts
09-29-2011, 10:33 PM
This kind of shit puts me off from playing over here. Seen far too many injuries from people trying to run the show.

Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch...

And yes, there are many more bad apples out there - but I have been playing men's league footy for over a decade (men's league hockey as well), and while I have encounted the odd idiot who thinks ManU are gonna call him up, I have also enjoyed 99% of my time with good matches, good teammates, good competition, and good times...

Sure, I've hit the sideline with the odd knock or two, but who hasn't...

Even in hockey (where, because of my level and past playing level) I play in a much (highest) men's league division, I've come across idiots and injuries to teammates just like this, and unfortunately worse - but I would never let that 1, 2, or 3 idiots spoil it...

The moment normal, good sportsman players stop playing - is the moment the idiots and 'super go-hards I'm still gonna make it' players win...

Carts...

CSO_BBTB
09-29-2011, 11:13 PM
F**k. This type of shit is happening in a co-ed recreational league?

In my experience, you run into a lot of idiots who will do things in that sort of context that they would be too scared to try if they were playing against an ethnic social club team who have supporters on the sidelines in a competitive amateur league. Sometimes better to stick to the higher status stuff if you have the ability to play it.

brad
09-29-2011, 11:29 PM
A lot of my exepeince in the lower leagues is that some of the limited talent hacks often get very frustrated with and lash out at some of the better quality players that play down there.

Also goes the other way - sometime the hot shots don't like getting schooled by the folks they think they should outplaying.

kodiakTFC
09-29-2011, 11:51 PM
I played two sessions at hershey and have to say, the refs and staff are good but the people who play in the league are iffy. Pretty much a fight every other week in mens league.

Inklink
09-29-2011, 11:52 PM
I played a season at Hershey several years ago (div 4) and thankfully didn't see something this drastic. But even still, too many assholes overcompensating or trying to impress their girl up in the balcony.

As an aside, there's no way many of those teams belonged in div 4. It's like they just wanted someone to roll over so they went in the lower ones. I don't know. (yes I'm bitter :o )

Hopefully Ray recovers quick. Any maybe they should just have a single camera to record this stuff.

London
09-30-2011, 05:39 AM
i stopped playing organized mens sports because too many men think its the big leagues.

first off, many play in the lower leagues so they can feel like real man and beat up on people who wer trying to have some fun. I will never forget playing mens "D" division softball vs a team of juiced up jose canseco's who could dominate the game but they always allowed the other team to score so they didnt get moved up divisions. They hit more homers in 1 game then we did all season.

then there are the "ronaldo" and "messi" wanna be's in mens soccer as well, they think that they have the same tackling skills as Nesta and fuck up and snap your ankle.

ryan
09-30-2011, 07:46 AM

tcssc is absolutely brutal for this.

they setup their leagues and nothing more so they can take no responsibility for anything that happens.

terrible, just terrible group of leagues to join.

ag futbol
09-30-2011, 09:53 AM
^ Honestly XTSC is worse than TSSC, I've played in both multiple times. With TSSC being self-officiated that keeps people a lot more easy going. Oddly enough, when you bring in an official people get a lot more aggressive because they no longer feel responsible for their own actions because the official can judge.

The other thing about XTSC is their officials can range from good all the way down to stoner who gets high during the five minute half-time break.

Pyeddo
09-30-2011, 05:46 PM
tcssc is absolutely brutal for this.

they setup their leagues and nothing more so they can take no responsibility for anything that happens.

terrible, just terrible group of leagues to join.

I 2nd that. Reason I left the league was because of a bust up @ Downsview a couple years back in a Co-Ed league. I joined to play some footie, not get into fights. I can find a fight anytime, finding a match is hard

AL-MO
09-30-2011, 07:52 PM
I played two sessions at hershey and have to say, the refs and staff are good but the people who play in the league are iffy. Pretty much a fight every other week in mens league.

Par for the course. Every league/facility has a few bad apples. Some leagues work to weed them out and others just care about the $$$$$.

AL-MO
09-30-2011, 07:52 PM
^ Honestly XTSC is worse than TSSC, I've played in both multiple times. With TSSC being self-officiated that keeps people a lot more easy going. Oddly enough, when you bring in an official people get a lot more aggressive because they no longer feel responsible for their own actions because the official can judge.

The other thing about XTSC is their officials can range from good all the way down to stoner who gets high during the five minute half-time break.

They are both brutal and both 'unregistered'. So you really have no recourse if shit happens, other than going to the cops or maybe suing them.

denime
09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
In my experience, you run into a lot of idiots who will do things in that sort of context that they would be too scared to try if they were playing against an ethnic social club team who have supporters on the sidelines in a competitive amateur league. Sometimes better to stick to the higher status stuff if you have the ability to play it.

QFT

It is always safer and more fun to play with against skill players who understand the game,than lumberjacks that think with "me smash":hulk: attitude they can win the game.

Voodooman
09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110930/police-investigate-soccer-players-serious-injury-110930/20110930/?hub=TorontoNewHome

heres the ctv news video everyone.

I actually play in this league, but since I moved to the East for school, i am not playing this season. Raymond is on my friend's team, and it is incredibly sad to hear about this. The people working at hershey have no clue about the sport of soccer really. This type of thing (not as violent) happens often in the co-ed leagues. I have personally been attacked after a game, few people have gotten broken legs from attacks. It is actually an extremely rough league full of people with big egos that are bigger than their soccer abilities. The fact that the goalie did not apologize for doing this, puts into question if this was intentional or not. Based on my friends reaction, and those who were watching that I have talked to over the course of the day, believe that it was intentional.

Ray has just been released from surgery but is currently in Intensive Care for the next few days. I hope he will make a full recovery.

ag futbol
09-30-2011, 09:09 PM
They are both brutal and both 'unregistered'. So you really have no recourse if shit happens, other than going to the cops or maybe suing them.
I know its your line of work (so I'll tread lightly) but I don't think the recourse available through the OSA or any other body in this province is much of a fail safe.

AL-MO
10-01-2011, 10:57 AM
I know its your line of work (so I'll tread lightly) but I don't think the recourse available through the OSA or any other body in this province is much of a fail safe.

Its not my work anymore. ;)

You're right there isn't much, but its still more than the alternative. (as little as it is)

EDIT: Even though it isn't my line of work anymore, I'd still rather play in a registered league than one that doesn't register to save $$$$.