PDA

View Full Version : TFC - RBNY MLS Reserve League - Saturday morning at Downsview

Red CB Toronto
09-29-2011, 12:31 PM
With the big match on Saturday night at BMO Field, there will also be a MLS Reserve League match between the Reds and Energy Drink in the morning at Downsview Park, site of the new training ground, kickoff is 10 am. If you have never been this is a great opportunity to see the ends in an intimate, up close and personal setting where you can hear all the dialougue on the field while watching some pretty good footy, it is a really interesting experience to say the least. Would be great to see a good group of supporters out, I am looking forward to it.

uncle p
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
where exactly is the field?
Is it near the driver's test center?

Klinsmann
09-29-2011, 04:30 PM
where exactly is the field?
Is it near the driver's test center?

Just south east of Keele and Sheppard... last time I drove in past the flea market and found the field just beside/behind the Hanger, there are signs to direct you to the hanger.

prizby
09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
u can blame tsn for this one...stupid programming idiots won't show the aussie rules grand final LIVE (like they did last year) during the middle of the night and moved it to 11:30am...say the least, won't be making the reserves game

Greatest Ripoff
09-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Does anyone have directions from Downsview subway station or a map that shows exactly where it is in the park?

jazzy
09-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Does anyone have directions from Downsview subway station or a map that shows exactly where it is in the park?

It's quite the walk, from the station....which is N-E, corner of park while academy is at the west end, off of Sheppard,..just east of Keele. Check TTC I believe a bus may drive thru park. In a nutshell, from the Downsview station one would walk along Sheppard West, across the top of the park till you reach the main drive in entrance, bypassing the giant bldg's housing the flea markets....then walk south behind the large bldg's.....you'll see large parking lots then fields

London
09-30-2011, 05:26 AM
u can blame tsn for this one...stupid programming idiots won't show the aussie rules grand final LIVE (like they did last year) during the middle of the night and moved it to 11:30am...say the least, won't be making the reserves game

huh????

it's TSN's fault for a saturday match??

or are you just pissy that you cant attend the reserve match??

Fort York Redcoat
09-30-2011, 06:44 AM
I believe the bus services take you relatively close to the pitches. Haven't seen firsthand but I'm sure I'll get to know it better when the Accies move there in June.

prizby
09-30-2011, 07:08 AM
huh????

it's TSN's fault for a saturday match??

or are you just pissy that you cant attend the reserve match??

no im pissy that a game that starts at 1am our time over in australia is on tape delay til 11:30am and instead tsn is showing sportscentre on repeat...last year, they showed the Grand Final live

tfcleeds
09-30-2011, 08:33 AM
^Who's in the Grand Final this year, Priz? Haven't been able to keep up with AFL this year.

prizby
09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
The last two winners...Geelong vs. Collingwood; being a Saints fan, this is a nightmare on who the root for, but I hate the Magpies and with the Cats having lost Gary Ablett, to come back to the Grand Final with a brand new coach to boot; just magnificant

tfcleeds
09-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Agreed on it being tough who to root for, can't say I care for either team. It's been years since my Essendon were of relevance.

That sucks that the game isn't being shown live - I would have tried to watch it.

prizby
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Agreed on it being tough who to root for, can't say I care for either team. It's been years since my Essendon were of relevance.

That sucks that the game isn't being shown live - I would have tried to watch it.

just got word from a friend at tsn...game will be live online from 11:30 til 1:30ish (first hour is an introduction of such) when the football game is over, tsn (not tsn2) will pick up the game and show it live!

Essendon were fun this year...too inconsistent, but I remember the first time they played Carlton, apparently a lot of people were betting on the long shot odds that they would draw...and the game ended in a draw...they got some fine pieces in Hurley, Jetta, McVeigh, Welsh, Ryder, Jobe Watson who was in the running for the brownlow in the early rounds, and you must remember dustin fletcher; plus their coaching staff is unreal right now; geelong's head coach quit to become an assistant with essendon

Klinsmann
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
looking forward to the reserve game tomorrow morning...

Klinsmann
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
looking forward to the reserve game tomorrow morning...

Last time I went to see one at Downsview it was canceled right before kick off due to a freak snow storm!

uncle p
09-30-2011, 02:34 PM

These buses should get you there. They are all based out of Downsview station. However I dont know where the actual fields are

101 Downsview Park
(brings you right into the park, close to the hanger and drivers test center

84 Sheppard west (westbound)
106 York University
107C Keele North
108 Downsview
(These all travel westbound on Sheppard towards Keele and can drop you walking distance to the flea market. The stop is called Tuscan Gate)

Red CB Toronto
09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
These buses should get you there. They are all based out of Downsview station. However I dont know where the actual fields are

101 Downsview Park
(brings you right into the park, close to the hanger and drivers test center

84 Sheppard west (westbound)
106 York University
107C Keele North
108 Downsview
(These all travel westbound on Sheppard towards Keele and can drop you walking distance to the flea market. The stop is called Tuscan Gate)

Yes the 101 goes right onto the Downsview grounds , this is the one you want to take from Downsview Station. The bus will drop you right off at the hangar, the field is in the back.

Red CB Toronto
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
The Reds came out on top with a 3-1 victory this morning at Downsview. Stefan Vukovic has the brace. Keith Makabuya also put his name on the scoresheet in quite a windy game played on a soggy wet field. Hopefully the good times will keep on rolling into the night.

jazzy
10-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I believe the bus services take you relatively close to the pitches. Haven't seen firsthand but I'm sure I'll get to know it better when the Accies move there in June.

Just saw a #101, from either Wilson or Downsview station...check first in future.... bus drop people at the hanger where just behind, south are the soccer pitch's....great game btw standing basically on the pitch.........aussie football over up close tfc ....not in my life time, ..jokes

Klinsmann
10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
It was a pretty crazy there today. Very cold with the wind. Me and Cblake were standing about 2 feet from the pitch, it was a great game.

Kyle Davies played well at center back too.

Torontotonto
10-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Last time I went to see one at Downsview it was canceled right before kick off due to a freak snow storm!

Yeh, remember that one, it started snowing on the way there

Flint
10-01-2011, 12:36 PM
damn I wish I wasnt working or I would have been there.

jazzy
10-01-2011, 01:10 PM
It was a pretty crazy there today. Very cold with the wind. Me and Cblake were standing about 2 feet from the pitch, it was a great game.

Kyle Davies played well at center back too.

What number was Davies??.. Was he #34 , if not who was that??

Red CB Toronto
10-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Davies number was 29. 34 was Stefan Vukovic, who has 17 goals this season with the TFC Academy in the CSL. He scored the second and third goal for the Reds. Don't be surprised if he is signed to a MLS contract in 2012.

Klinsmann
10-01-2011, 01:38 PM

Davies was #29 played the whole game.
I think 2 academy kids subbed on in the last 10 mins #34 and #38, I have no idea what their names are.

London
10-01-2011, 01:43 PM
The Reds came out on top with a 3-1 victory this morning at Downsview. Stefan Vukovic has the brace. Keith Makabuya also put his name on the scoresheet in quite a windy game played on a soggy wet field. Hopefully the good times will keep on rolling into the night.

good for stefan but he needs to save his energy for winning the CSL scoring title,

i agree he should move up to mls soon enough

jazzy
10-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Davies number was 29. 34 was Stefan Vukovic, who has 17 goals this season with the TFC Academy in the CSL. He scored the second and third goal for the Reds. Don't be surprised if he is signed to a MLS contract in 2012.

Oh yes my mistake, I've followed Vuckovich all year and he is growing into a two way player, a beast please TFC AND Canada keep this man......I meant there was a mid fielder I thought #3...? , latin looking but did'nt recognize him, and yes Davies, had'nt seen him of course before. The surroundings and closeness of field, cold but glorious sunshine made this game a great time for soccer lovers......looking forward to many more

Klinsmann
10-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Oh yes my mistake, I've followed Vuckovich all year and he is growing into a two way player, a beast please TFC AND Canada keep this man......I meant there was a mid fielder I thought #3...? , latin looking but did'nt recognize him, and yes Davies, had'nt seen him of course before. The surroundings and closeness of field, cold but glorious sunshine made this game a great time for soccer lovers......looking forward to many more

#21 is Leandre Griffit. Played in the midfield today

This guy?

jazzy
10-01-2011, 03:37 PM
#21 is Leandre Griffit. Played in the midfield today

This guy?

yes....thanks,...him and Davies, haven't seen. Davies was aggressive but some of his touches need work...He did get a good clip from their giant #12 I believe and Davies reacted strongly,....seems intense enough....all in all I see Winters and DeKlerk's control game, thru-out our team now. ...very positive

Greatest Ripoff
10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Was #36 Sergio Camargo?

Red CB Toronto
10-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Was #36 Sergio Camargo?

No it was not, Sergio has played in a few MLS Reserve League games this year. I saw him play for the Reds in Washington this past August. He did wear 36 in that game.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30754061@N02/6031024856/in/set-72157627405309270

Rocket Robin
10-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Result of the Saturday October 1, 2011 MLS Reserves game between Toronto FC and New York Red Bulls played at Downsview Park in North York at 10:00am.

Lineups:

Toronto FC
........................56 Chad Bush
........26 Matt Gold...29 Kyle Davies...55 Eddy Viator

11 Nathan Sturgis...21 Leandre Griffit...28 Gianluca Zavarise...19 Mikael Yourassowsky
33 Javier Martina...34 Stefan Vukovic...13 Keith Makubuya

Subs:...#36 and #38 (very certain they were Academy players) plus two other players not used...no back up goalie.

New York Red Bulls
.......................31 Alex Horwath
15 Matt Kassel...29 ???????????...23 Mike Jones...39 Teddy Schneider
21 Brian Nielsen...16 John Rooney...12 Tyler Lassiter...32 Marcos Paullo
26 ?????????...6 Corey Hertzog

Subs:...13 ??????????????...27 Stephane Auvray (mid)...one other not used

6 min...TFCR Keith Makubuya GOAL...Makubuya blasts 25 yard shot up middle beyond diving goalie into low left corner of net.

11 min...TFCR Stefan Vukovic GOAL...TFCR Gianluca Zavarise pass from 22 yards cross which diving goalie forward misses and Vukovic boots from 8 yards low to center of open net.

32 min...TFCR Stefan Vukovic GOAL...TFCR Javier Martina rolls pass from middle at 25 yards to Vukovic alone on right and he rolls 15 yarder through goalie's left into left side of net.

46 min...NYRBR #13 GOAL...NYRBR Corey Hertzog rushes on left and crosses from 25 yards through box for #13 to kick low 8 yarder into open net.

Final Score:.......Toronto FC Reserves........3..........New York Red Bulls Reserves...........1...........

Attendance was about 25 for this morning game which was played before the MLS main game at BMO Field at 7:30pm. The weather was cold and windy at this former military base and the north wind could really pick up whipping across the open airport landing strips. The field turf had puddles just off the sides and endzones of the field after the previous night's rain. There was no rain at game time but it was still overcast until just before halftime when the sun came out in the south which TFC had to run into in the second half. Surprising to me was all the goals were scored INTO the wind.

There were lots of clean sliding tackles on the wet turf. Referee John Oliva gave out a few Yellow cards for holding and complaining about calls. John Rooney (brother of Manchester United's Wayne) earned one at 88 minutes for slashing at Gianluca Zavarise who'd tackled him off his feet at NY's 45 yards.

TFC had to run into the strong wind in the first half and mostly kept the ball low to move the ball. Neither goalie when they had to defend the south end learned punting the ball high would at best advance it 30 yards. Both goalies came to the edge of their box or even outside to clear through balls.

None of the TFC players playing in this game were even on the bench for the MLS game. Chad Bush is the TFC Academy goalie and Stefan Vukovic also plays for the Academy in the Canadian Soccer League. He is currently tied for the scoring race lead with two others at 17 goals and will likely win because the Academy still has three more games to play while those other scoring leaders have only one more game to play. TFC Reserves coaching staff were made up of Academy head coach Danny Dichio and TFC assistant coach Jason Bent. TFC goalkeeping coach Mike Toshack was warming up Chad Bush.

Starting Red Bulls Matt Kassel and Brian Nielsen were listed as subs in the MLS game but neither played. Nielsen provided comic relief when at 30 minutes he ran to take a 40 yard freekick down the middle and slipped on this backside and the ball rolled harmlessly to the goalie.

Best non-scoring chances were at 24 minutes when TFC Kyle Davies passed back to the TFC goalie who was then rushed by two closing NYRB players and he cleared off one of them at 10 yards and the ball deflected just wide left of the post for a cornerkick. 43 minutes had TFC Keith Makubuya juke a defender and roll a 12 yard shot from right just wide left of post. 49 minutes had NYRB Corey Hertzog steal a TFC Eddy Viator pop up clearance and had a 15 yard shot pushed wide right by the diving goalie. 56 minutes had TFC Nathan Sturgis chip a 28 yard freekick down middle just over the bar. 61 minutes had NYRB Stephane Auvray cross from 20 yards on the left through the box and NYRB #13 on the right booted a 7 yarder over the back fence. 69 minutes had TFC Vukovic chip a 15 yarder that the goalie batted down which TFC #38 got the rebound but a sliding defender poked the ball away before he got a shot. 79 minutes had Vukovic rush on the right and his low 18 yard shot was caught by the sliding goalie. Two minutes later he was dribbling down the middle and a defender bumped him off the ball. 84 minutes had Auvray shoot around Viator at 18 yards and the shot was pushed wide left by the diving goalie.

This was the first MLS Reserves game Toronto FC has won this year. Both teams play in the six team East Division. TFC record improves to 1-5-2. Red Bulls fall to 2-4-0.

Rocket Robin
robing@eol.ca (robing@eol.ca)

jazzy
10-02-2011, 01:07 AM
^^^nice job thanks

Klinsmann
10-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Here are some pics I took at yesterdays reserve match

http://www.flickr.com/photos/klinsmann2011/sets/72157627677965205/

Klinsmann
10-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Was #36 Sergio Camargo?

The 2 youngers that subbed in were: Jay Chapman and Michael Petrasso
I believe Jay is the guy that is kneeling here:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6177/6204681018_76e37fbc11_b.jpg

Klinsmann
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
good for stefan but he needs to save his energy for winning the CSL scoring title,

i agree he should move up to mls soon enough

Nice goal by him!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6148/6204029489_4aa3c79060_b.jpg

Red CB Toronto
10-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Recap of the game from the Reds website.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/10/reserves-beat-new-york-saturday

King Jeff
10-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Here are some pics I took at yesterdays reserve match

http://www.flickr.com/photos/klinsmann2011/sets/72157627677965205/

Cool pictures.

Do these games cost anything? I'd like to attend a few next season (I'm guessing there aren't any more games this year)

Red CB Toronto
10-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Cool pictures.

Do these games cost anything? I'd like to attend a few next season (I'm guessing there aren't any more games this year)

They are free to attend, this year the five reserve home were split between BMO Field (2), Downsview Park (2) and Cherry Beach (1). Most likey with the new training ground being built at Downsview they will all be played there.

Red CB Toronto
10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
The 2 youngers that subbed in were: Jay Chapman and Michael Petrasso
I believe Jay is the guy that is kneeling here:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6177/6204681018_76e37fbc11_b.jpg

Yes it is, he was the second sub for the Reds in place of Javier Martina.