PDA

View Full Version : How can TFC earn back some buzz/goodwill?

Waggy
09-28-2011, 10:38 AM
I can't go to the townhalls (and I'm sure there are plenty on here who can't make it either) but lets come up with some ideas that if people want to ask MLSE about at the town halls they can, maybe plant some seeds.

I've been thinking a lot about what the team could do to try and earn back some of the goodwill and buzz around TFC. There's a few hypothetical that would have to happen first for this idea though:

- MLS history says that ideally they will want Montreal to open up at home against a rival, probably what the league thinks to be their biggest rival. In this case, that would obviously be us.

- MLS history also says that new teams coming into the league building stadiums are NEVER ready for the start of the season, it always takes an extra month or two to finish the work.

- Montreal Impact history tells us that they prefer to play big games in Olympic Stadium anyways, and if Saputo isn't ready that's where they will go.

I don't think any of those 3 hypotheticals are huge leaps in logic or particularly unlikely. ANYWAYS

Assuming Toronto FC does open the 2012 MLS season away in Montreal playing in Olympic Stadium, a cheap way to win back some good will and generate some real buzz: The team buys a section in Olympic stadium. 5 or 10 000 seats. They rent a crap load of buses, or even a train or two. They offer first dibs to Season Ticket holders and Supporters groups on the tickets and transport and bring as many season ticket holders and supporters to the game as they possibly can. For their MLS debut Montreal could reasonably get 30 000 people or more to Olympic stadium (remember their CCL matches?), 10 000 (or even more maybe) Toronto fans would create an atmosphere unlike any that's happened in North America. It would be cheap, it would create a TON of buzz around the team and the league, and kick off our real rivalry with a bang.

The team can have buses going from Windsor (stopping in London/Guelph etc on the way), from Brampton, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York, Woodbridge, Downtown, Ottawa etc. It'd cost nothing to the team ($30 per person or something one time is WAY cheaper than dropping ticket prices which we all know they won't do) and would be some of the best marketing they could do. It's tough to convince my friends who don't reaaaaally like TFC but support toronto teams to come down to BMO, but a trip like this would pull them all in for sure. Turning semi-TFC fans into real fans or even supporters is just good business for the team. Plus it'd piss Montreal off something FIERCE (since they would never be able to get us back for that). Even if those 3 hypotheticals don't happen, TFC could still ask MTL to have the Toronto game in the Big Owe and bus people in. If they're assured of that many people coming, I'm sure the Impact wouldn't say no

I know next year is a long way off and this year isn't even over yet but this team desperately needs to regenerate buzz and excitement, and they need to do it by next year. Thoughts? Other ideas? We can be pro-active in helping MLSE turn this club around. They want to sell tickets and merch too, and ultimately are on our side (even if they show it in a Bobby Brownesq way). They want to make money, we want a rich, successful team with a nice and crowded stadium at reasonable prices. We can work something out. Because the status quo works for none of us (MLSE propaganda aside, they see empty seats, smaller concessions and fewer merch sales just like we do)

Yohan
09-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Wouldnt mlse run into tico regulations too? And travel companies bitching

Auzzy
09-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Wouldnt mlse run into tico regulations too? And travel companies bitching

They could work with one or more travel companies to organize this.

I would be worried about making it too cheap. That may encourage a bunch of douchebags to come along to get drunk and for some supposed action. That's happened before. Limiting it to SSH'ers & supporters groups may help.

Yohan
09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
They could work with one or more travel companies to organize this.

I would be worried about making it too cheap. That may encourage a bunch of douchebags to come along to get drunk and for some supposed action. That's happened before. Limiting it to SSH'ers & supporters groups may help.

Maybe im being a negative nancy but mls first kick dates doesnt come out until mid jan iirc. That leaves 2 months to organize and promote the event. 10000? Itd be nice but itd have to go viral real fast

Waggy
09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Maybe im being a negative nancy but mls first kick dates doesnt come out until mid jan iirc. That leaves 2 months to organize and promote the event. 10000? Itd be nice but itd have to go viral real fast

Eh, just one idea. I know it's not perfect. But I feel like if it was a free gift to SSH and SG's it'd fill QUICK. And TICO may be able to push us around, but MLSE I think could handle them (they can boss the city/province around, they can handle some travel agents).

Section 110
09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Eh, just one idea. I know it's not perfect. But I feel like if it was a free gift to SSH and SG's it'd fill QUICK. And TICO may be able to push us around, but MLSE I think could handle them (they can boss the city/province around, they can handle some travel agents).

I like the way you're thinking - you're on the right path. I said this to my account exec in an email; FO has got to do some goodwill stuff and it may require a grand gesture. This is in the same vein and it would benefit the team and FO as a means to advertise the loyalty of the fan base and their loyalty to the fan base. I hope that the FO is taking notes.

Good stuff!

Cashcleaner
09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
This is a great idea. Don't think it would ever happen, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it would be spectacularly awesome.

Carefree
09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
How long did it take for 2,000 people to decide to go to Columbus a few years back? And football aside, going for a weekend in Montreal is a much more attractive proposition than that shithole Columbus. I don't think fan interest will be lacking for this if it's promoted right.

And therein lies the problem. I've noticed a trend in the past couple of years where a lot of the away games to places like New York, Chicago or New England, where TFC supporters would be likely to go in massive numbers, have been scheduled at very inconvenient times (mid-week, Sunday night, etc.) It's almost like the league wants to discourage us from travelling. If there is a willingness by the FO to foster a rivalry with Montreal, they could organize the logistics of it and make an event like the OP describes happen. I know I'd go.

One thing the Montreal Alouettes have been doing for a few years that I think is awesome is what they call the Fan Train, where they charter a whole VIA train and fill it up with about a thousand supporters for the away games to Toronto or Hamilton. Another great perk is that on the way back the players get to mingle with the fans. This is organised by the club, not the supporters themselves. Why don't we do that?

DichioTFC
09-28-2011, 11:50 AM
How long did it take for 2,000 people to decide to go to Columbus a few years back? And football aside, going for a weekend in Montreal is a much more attractive proposition than that shithole Columbus. I don't think fan interest will be lacking for this if it's promoted right.

And therein lies the problem. I've noticed a trend in the past couple of years where a lot of the away games to places like New York, Chicago or New England, where TFC supporters would be likely to go in massive numbers, have been scheduled at very inconvenient times (mid-week, Sunday night, etc.) It's almost like the league wants to discourage us from travelling. If there is a willingness by the FO to foster a rivalry with Montreal, they could organize the logistics of it and make an event like the OP describes happen. I know I'd go.

One thing the Montreal Alouettes have been doing for a few years that I think is awesome is what they call the Fan Train, where they charter a whole VIA train and fill it up with about a thousand supporters for the away games to Toronto or Hamilton. Another great perk is that on the way back the players get to mingle with the fans. This is organised by the club, not the supporters themselves. Why don't we do that?

There's more to this than you realize.

Speaking to the original point, TFC FO has to be a proactive leader in organizing a roadtrip to Montreal, not a surprise beneficiary that they can write up about in the post-match article.

Carefree
09-28-2011, 11:59 AM
There's more to this than you realize.

I figured it couldn't be a coincidence. What was it, backlash because of the trouble in Columbus three years ago?

Suds
09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I think there a many things the TFC FO can do to foster a better relationship will their fans and not have it such a business style relationship. I'm not looking for free stuff from the FO. I understand I'm paying for the entertainment they are providing. I think SSH's are willing to put in more if the FO is willing to put in more get the buzz around TFC back again.

Away travel is a great opportunity but it would need to work for both fans and the club. For one, MLSE will be weary of anything in which they could end up having a liability issue. On the flip-side, there will be fans who may not want to travel under conditions of travel under a TFC sponsored trip. That said, I think these are simple issues that could be overcome with proper planning.

I'd also like to see a serious coordinated effort on behalf of the FO to work with all fans sitting in designated supporter sections to create the atmosphere we all want at BMO. TFC has been supportive of SG's and their TIFO displays but this could be extended to a display that include all fans in those areas. What that is specifically I do not know off hand but in general I would like to see the TFO FO put more effort into fostering that atmosphere. At times is seems it's being stifled. That may not be fact and just my perception.

Anyway ... good thread. Keep posting ideas.

habstfc
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
It doesn't really make sense for the impact to have their first home against us. The first game is a guaranteed sellout anyways so why not make it closer to the end of the schedule when some of the lustre may have worn off, especially if they are losing alot.

ensco
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
If 1% of the people act like idiots, that's 100 idiots. If someone gets hurt, or something goes wrong....

MLSE are the deep pocket, they would never take on the liability associated with this, and no one else in their right mind would either.

It's a shame, it's a great idea, but it'll never happen. That's the world we live in.

swan
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
what if everyone has to sign a wavier of liability would that help.. but yeah good idea just don't think it will ever happen

Darlofletch
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
It doesn't really make sense for the impact to have their first home against us. The first game is a guaranteed sellout anyways so why not make it closer to the end of the schedule when some of the lustre may have worn off, especially if they are losing alot.

Agree, and at the mls cup supporters summit, Garber siad something very similar.

and if i was an impact fan I'd be pissed if their club even thought of doing this. sure it sounds good to us, but outside of TFC home games, it's not about us. really, their first ever mls game should be about them, not about what would enable TFC supporters to have a good time.

It would be a great thing for tfc, but why the hell should Montreal give a crap about that.

mowe
09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I think that's a great idea. MLSE should definitely organize something for the Montreal game. It's going to be a huge game anyway, might as well get in on the action. Would definitely help FO-fan relationships, too.

By the way, Saputo Stadium is definitely not going to be ready for the start of the season. They had some delays getting the financials sorted out, the club has confirmed that the Impact will begin the season at Olympic Stadium. MLS will likely make their home opener against TFC, which is fine in a big stadium. They're not going to sell out for regular games so there's no point holding back TFC for later. Might as well go big in the first game to start the season. There's still going to be Vancouver for later in the season (man, next year is going to be great, three Canadian teams in MLS!).

TorontoPat
09-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Charge no more than average MLS prices for the tickets. They still are getting the better of the deal, if they charge average for the below average team.

Redcoe15
09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd do that one in the middle of the summer - July to be exact - when everyone can plan this around their vacation times. Then, Waggy's idea would be implemented.

Flint
09-28-2011, 02:01 PM
The Montreal-Toronto rivalry is already in place. Time for the FOs for both teams to step up and market this as such. Secure 5000 away seats in montreal and have everybody sign waivers and make this the best rivalry in north america.

Likewise we should in return get our home game mid season in the skydome. Allocate 5000 away seats for montreal. Have the ml$e marketing gurus advertise this as the biggest thing ever and pack the skydome with 50,000 people.

prizby
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
pretty sure these townhalls are just to meet the coaching staff

jazzy
09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
pretty sure these townhalls are just to meet the coaching staff

Here's me thinking they wanted us to take over the FO...........

TFC07
09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
We don't need TFC FO to get 10,000 fans to go to Montreal for a soccer game and spend a weekend in Montreal as long the trip is cheap.

DichioTFC
09-28-2011, 04:49 PM
We need the FO to help us promote a trip, or to encourage others to go. The SGs, this one included, dont have a reach beyond the people who visit their forums. And even that can turn into a shitshow.

If the FO wants to build goodwill, they can help facilitate our roadtrips. Contact everyone in their database to see their likelihood of traveling to Montreal if they organized transportation. If enough people confirm, rent a train to get us all there and back. Hell, partner with L'Impact and arrange for a roundtrip for their fans too for the home game.

This is not impossible, it just requires some foresight. The Canadian subsidiaries of the NFL and WWE both arranged this for people going Torontonians going to their events in Detroit (Super Bowl and WrestleMania), and from what I understand, it was profitable.

Yeoman
09-28-2011, 05:25 PM
i just want to know where my gravy train went
and where's my cheer leaders
but yeah
ml$e should do this stuff, but probably won't.
still wouldn't be good in my books though

kodiakTFC
09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
All I have ever wanted from MLSE is to designate the supporters a supporters controlled section. Thats the way to build the buzz back. Give us some control, let us make sure the right people are in the right area. 111-114 is getting quieter and quieter but I still think there are plenty of fans who want to sing and chant but we're spread apart. The north end would've been the perfect situation but well.. they went another direction there.

Derko
09-29-2011, 05:46 AM
I figured it couldn't be a coincidence. What was it, backlash because of the trouble in Columbus three years ago?

I do believe a conspiracy theory going on hear, not that I agree. If that were the case why would MLS hold a Columbus away game on a Saturday this year, the closest away game for TFC. Hundreds could have gone, but collectively we have decided to boycott Columbus because of that trouble.

TFC need to offer some discounts on group travel yes, but it is up to the supporters groups to 'Police' themselves or run the risk of a travelling shit show again.

Mark in Ottawa
09-29-2011, 09:35 AM
i just want to know where my gravy train went

Gravy Train??

I don't think VIA Rail would let you run a tail gate on the rails on the way to a game ... as AWESOME as it sounds :D

Carefree
09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I do believe a conspiracy theory going on hear, not that I agree. If that were the case why would MLS hold a Columbus away game on a Saturday this year, the closest away game for TFC. Hundreds could have gone, but collectively we have decided to boycott Columbus because of that trouble.

TFC need to offer some discounts on group travel yes, but it is up to the supporters groups to 'Police' themselves or run the risk of a travelling shit show again.
I wouldn't quite call this a conspiracy theory. This year our away games to New York and New England were both on Wednesdays, the Chicago game was on a Sunday night. Last year our games against New York and Chicago were both on Wednesdays. I think it's pretty safe to say that after the shit show in Columbus in 2009 it'll be many years before we ever show up in that town in numbers again, but the very next year our best alternatives for a big-numbers away trip, Chicago and New York, were taken away from us, and again in 2011. That's a bit much to be a mere coincidence, and I do think someone somewhere decided to discourage TFC fans from travelling in numbers. That's not exactly tinfoil-hat material.

I do agree with your second point about policing ourselves though, and until we develop a proper football culture and weed out the douchebags who use these trips as excuses to go and cause trouble, it'll be hard to convince the FO to organize a trip like this.

Waggy
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
I feel like people are getting bogged down in the logistics of my original idea. That was just a suggestion to get the ball rolling. What I meant was for the focus of the thread to be on various things MLSE could do to fix the damage done over the past... 4ish years (or at least 2.5). Winning back the casual fan is key to the future of the club. To do that, they have to capture the casual sports fans interest. Off the top of my head MLSE can:

have a giant road trip that makes huge headlines and creates a buzz around the continent I think is a good start (as stated in the OP).

Sign a HUGE name player. (not my preference, but it'd still probably work)

Assist the SG's in making the gameday experience more exciting by assisting with flags/banners/tifos, encouraging support. I know a lot of RPB's don't like hearing that casual fans come to watch the SG's, but it's true. And that's not something to be ashamed of, it should be embraced. The SG's and the club should be getting together to find out how to both engage the entire stadium (song books? random pockets of SGs in non supporters sections?), and instead of making it difficult to bring in flags or banners they should be encouraged. Not to mention financially supported (as MANY many clubs do around the world).

Assist with road trips in general instead of one big trip, so the 08 columbus buzz can reappear (hopefully minus the police), but in places like MTL, Philly, Chicago, NY, New England etc.

CCL games either free or for a nominal price (5 or 10 bucks or something), so more 20somethings can go.

Maybe play some preseason friendlies around the area, in London or Hamilton or Guelph, get some people who have never seen the club interested.

Play up the Canadian rivalries. I really want to see them market the hell out of what MTL is going to do. Show 45 000 people at Olympic stadium for soccer. Show random Toronto/MTL rivalry moments over the years, in all sports. It's counter to what people think of Toronto (see that Grantland piece from the other day), but market the anti-MTLness. They should be asking the city "Are you prepared to be outdone/embarrassed by Montreal? We used to have something special here, lets get it back. WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!" and so on.

End the stupid 'supporters section' thing. Allow people to stand and chant where they want (though keeping the flags/banners ban, that makes perfect sense). Instead of a 'supporters section' where people may or may not stand, create sitting sections. Where if you want to remain seated you can without fear of having your view blocked. Outside of the premium seats, everyone should have the option to stand for 90 min.

Keep marketing to middle and high schoolers, and also expand to colleges/universities. Go to any Jays game and you'll see groups from _______ college, or the University of ________, ________ department/union.

it's been discussed a bit re-kids pricing, but why not have age specific pricing? Like prices for fans 0-9 is whatever, 10-15 is x, 15-18 is y, 18-25 is z, 25-50 is q, 50+ is r (should also be cheaper). The club should WANT teenagers to use their allowance on tickets. The club should want the university student using their 25 dollars of disposable income on the club. Those are the people who will make the stadium loud again, and fun again. Those are the people who will be buying seasons tickets in a few years. Cater to them! Have special student pricing (for any student of any age, high school to adult learning)!

work with the SG's to teach casual fans how to become supporters. Like with Dichio 24, have some chants set at certain times, and have that info readily available at the seat of the casual fan. If they can sing along twice a half at preplanned times, they'll be WAY more likely to jump in to random chants. Or even start them (plus when everyone knows whats coming the volume goes UP. remember the cross field massives?)

etc etc etc. There is literally no reason to not do a bunch of that stuff (the last idea and student pricing are basically no brainers. And playing preseason games in different towns around the area has been done by the leafs and raps forever. we aren't reinventing the wheel here). And there's a ton more they can do if we just put our heads together and think

Derko
09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
^ Agreed, sorry for over analyzing, yes a huge trip would create the buzz again, I thought the big Columbus trip was fantastic, and TFC management and media really promoted it!! TFC management: Are you taking note, of this disscussion, Constructive discussion, not MLSE Bashing!!

Suds
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM
TFC cross promotion with Via Rail and whatever travel agent wants to take it on.

Chartered train load of TFC fans traveling to Montreal for MLS game. (no idea if Via does this though)

Make it affordable and easy to buy. One price for train, hotel, & ticket or some sort of package. I bet they could get 1,000 signed up easy for this.

Mark in Ottawa
09-30-2011, 11:22 AM
TFC cross promotion with Via Rail and whatever travel agent wants to take it on.

Chartered train load of TFC fans traveling to Montreal for MLS game. (no idea if Via does this though)

Make it affordable and easy to buy. One price for train, hotel, & ticket or some sort of package. I bet they could get 1,000 signed up easy for this.
A Hotel/game ticket package deal might also allow for fans traveling outside of the Toronto/Montreal corridor to get themselves to Montreal and meet up with the supporters.

Derko
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Our little group have already been discussing a rail trip to the TFC-L'Impact away game next year and years to come, it would be a great thing. I'm sure VIA Rail would do group packages.