PDA

View Full Version : Postgame: Pumas-Toronto FC......So you're saying there's a chance

Dkolish3
09-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Pumas 1-Toronto FC 1

KX5jNnDMfxA (http://youtu.be/gqdNe8u-Jsg)

TheFallen
09-27-2011, 11:52 PM
what the heck was Iro doing heading the ball on his own net :facepalm:

Yohan
09-28-2011, 12:04 AM
shitting the bed on the marking during Pumas goal, fouling near the edge of the box, the near own goal... it's like Iro was singlehandly trying to destroy TFC by himself

Harden on the other hand, had a good game

Morgan was a beast on the left.

Hope Eck's injury is not severe

T-boy
09-28-2011, 12:07 AM
You make it sound like if we didn't have Iro, TFC would have had the perfect game!

Truth is, Pumas put a mass of pressure on in the second half, and deserved a goal.

dupont
09-28-2011, 12:10 AM
TFC tried hard. I can't be angry about this. Pumas just seems like a better team.

reggie
09-28-2011, 12:14 AM
was danny kool injured or is winter saving him for the big game on saturday??

T-boy
09-28-2011, 12:18 AM

I assume your talking about when their number 18 took a shot and Iro tried to head it and it hit the post????

If that's what you are talking about, Iro was in a no win situation with that strike at goal. IF Iro had jumped out of the way of the shot, we would all be moaning that he was a wimp and jumped out the way! If he heads the ball he is in danger of deflecting it, OR putting the ball off target and saving a possible goal! You can't blame Iro for heading that ball.

And looking back their goal. Iro was marking the guy who scored. BUT, Harden was marking their number 7, who then decided not to make a run into the box. Iro followed his man, but then Harden totally got in his way, and blocked Iro from following his guy. Harden then didn't jump and make an effort to stop the header. I would say this is more Harden's fault than Iro.

I'm not a fan of Iro, but he needs to be defended when he hasn't done much wrong, and as usual is being singled out as the culprit...which he wasn't in this game.

Auzzy
09-28-2011, 12:23 AM
was danny kool injured or is winter saving him for the big game on saturday??

Looked like he got tangled up/banged up near the end of the first half.

reggie
09-28-2011, 12:26 AM
great game tonight..great crowd.

reggie
09-28-2011, 12:28 AM
hey armen jbx...any word on the injuries tonight?

Fushida
09-28-2011, 12:34 AM

are you serious? how can you watch that and think he was trying to do that on purpose? not saying he had a good performance, but come on.

T-boy
09-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Looked like he got tangled up/banged up near the end of the first half.

Commentary said he was "feeling sick".

reggie
09-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Commentary said he was "feeling sick".
well thats better then another hamy injury.

Darlofletch
09-28-2011, 12:39 AM
great tactics and performance tonight I thought. Pumas are clearly a better team than us, and we played it tight, going with 5 at the back, (even in the first half, stinson was rb and eckersley more central) rode our luck a bit as you have to, and scored one of the few chances we got.

good tactics to not try and go toe to toe with the more skilled team, and to not leave iro and harden back there by themselves again. Thought Harden had a great game in the middle of defence, organising things well, made a bunch of late tackles and clearances.

some good old fashioned defensive 'prekiball' got the job done with a depleted lineup, and made sure we've got a chance still.

well done to winter and the whole team.

If koevermans wasn't hurt (setanta said he wasn't feeling well) and that was just a fatigue sub, then the chivas game looks even sillier now.

and setanta, what a shitshow, even in their scrolling apology, they spelt 'appoloogise' wrong.

TFC USA
09-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Good to see Iro's confidence is up. :rolleyes:

Give him more time and he'll blend in, FFS.

Oh well. I'll take the point.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-28-2011, 12:49 AM
I watched Iro all game, from section 122 row 7.....hows this for excuses, HE SUCKS! plain and simple.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-28-2011, 12:54 AM
I assume your talking about when their number 18 took a shot and Iro tried to head it and it hit the post????

If that's what you are talking about, Iro was in a no win situation with that strike at goal. IF Iro had jumped out of the way of the shot, we would all be moaning that he was a wimp and jumped out the way! If he heads the ball he is in danger of deflecting it, OR putting the ball off target and saving a possible goal! You can't blame Iro for heading that ball.

And looking back their goal. Iro was marking the guy who scored. BUT, Harden was marking their number 7, who then decided not to make a run into the box. Iro followed his man, but then Harden totally got in his way, and blocked Iro from following his guy. Harden then didn't jump and make an effort to stop the header. I would say this is more Harden's fault than Iro.

I'm not a fan of Iro, but he needs to be defended when he hasn't done much wrong, and as usual is being singled out as the culprit...which he wasn't in this game.

Stop calling this and calling that....blah blah blah....

He sucks balls, end of story. Period, he sucks, get over it....

The sooner people get over it, the sooner we can upgrade the position!

greatwhitenorf
09-28-2011, 01:42 AM
If it wasn't bad enough that Iro deserves the criticism he's getting - touch of an anvil, agility of an oil tanker - the rest of the squad could take a little hammering as well.

Pumas played with three 19 year olds out there and another four players who are under 23. They had a bunch of their youngest reserves out there and still ran the show for long stretches.

I love these games against top Mexican sides. Ball moves quicker and more precisely and our guys - mostly - seem to respond by cranking up their own games. Couldn't pay me to watch dreck like Tauro, but glad to buy tickets to watch teams of this calibre.

DOMIN8R
09-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Another witch hunt, I see. Iro played well enough and he showed versatility - which was refreshing. Deguz impressed, at times. And he was a General out there.

Pumas taught us a technical thing or two. I've never seen a formation that allows double teaming so fast on the flanks. They did for 90 and we did it the second half.

Fun to watch.

London
09-28-2011, 05:29 AM
i thought iro was a little better last night, people need to realize he isnt as good as the hype of mvp of the crew and an english youth product

Detroit_TFC
09-28-2011, 05:50 AM
On paper this was another 4-0 rout by Pumas. We got a draw. People need to cheer the fuck up.

ensco
09-28-2011, 06:02 AM
You can't be unhappy. We stole the point. We were shorthanded and played a good game overall against a better team that had more chances and showed real class. Sometimes sports is only about staying alive until the end, and hoping things break your way...

bones
09-28-2011, 06:09 AM
On paper this was another 4-0 rout by Pumas. We got a draw. People need to cheer the fuck up.

Big YUUUUP there.

"With a Mexican league derby set for Sunday against crosstown rival America, Pumas fielded only two regulars (Dario Veron and David Cabrera) and seven players 23 or under, including three 19-year-olds."

Schooled by backups too! Thank god we got a point. Now we just need Winter to play the kiddies and let our regulars rest for Dallas!

nascarguy
09-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Big YUUUUP there.

"With a Mexican league derby set for Sunday against crosstown rival America, Pumas fielded only two regulars (Dario Veron and David Cabrera) and seven players 23 or under, including three 19-year-olds."

Schooled by backups too! Thank god we got a point. Now we just need Winter to play the kiddies and let our regulars rest for Dallas!
yeah no need to try to get in to a playoff spot that we do not have

Wull
09-28-2011, 06:52 AM
I find it ironic that some of the people conducting the witch-hunt have been de Guzman's biggest supporters since he got here

Fort York Redcoat
09-28-2011, 06:59 AM
^Yeah but DeGuzman is short and can hide amongst the midfield if he's poor. Iro sticks out.

Iro had some his worst gaffs ever in the first half but was saved on multiple occasions by that former underachiever you mentioned.

On the flip side Iro performed some of his most entertaining minutes late in the second when he brought the ball up from the corner and kept it close to him, juggling it and shrugging of the MExikids that were challenging for it.

mowe
09-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Things don't look too great at the moment. If Dallas wins tomorrow in Tauro, TFC would have to beat FCD by 2 goals or more to advance. However, if Dallas drops points then a win by 1 goal would be enough to see TFC through.

Time to cheer on Tauro because I don't think TFC can beat FCD by two goals in Dallas. They're not going to take this game lightly.

prizby
09-28-2011, 07:09 AM
i'd like to see JDG's on field map or whatever (the thing that shows where players prodominately played)...everytime i really looked up, he was either on/defending or less than 5 yards away from the ball; he was all over the place!

prizby
09-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Things don't look too great at the moment. If Dallas wins tomorrow in Tauro, TFC would have to beat FCD by 2 goals or more to advance. However, if Dallas drops points then a win by 1 goal would be enough to see TFC through.

Time to cheer on Tauro because I don't think TFC can beat FCD by two goals in Dallas. They're not going to take this game lightly.

We DO NOT need to win by 2 goals in Dallas; just have to score a minimum of 2.

Tie-Breaker works this way:

(Suppose we won 2-1 at Dallas)

1. Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned (Tied 3-3 in points)
2. Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned (2 goals for, 2 goals against)
3. Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned (2 goals for away from home to 1 goal for away from home; TFC takes tie-breaker)
The next tie-breaker is goal differential between all group matches...Dallas would ultimately trump us in that department (should they win at Tauro)

ManUtd4ever
09-28-2011, 07:23 AM
I was pleased with the effort last night, and the result in of itself was somewhat positive. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, a draw wasn't good enough. The tournament is likely over for TFC unless they can pull off a shocker in Dallas and get a lot of help from Tauro, a club that is merely playing for pride at this point.

Redpunkfiddle
09-28-2011, 07:39 AM

No. We can advance through a win, scoring at least two goals.

First tiebreaker is results (points) between tied teams.
Then goal difference in matches between the tied teams.
Then away goals in matches between the two teams.
And then goal difference in all group matches.

We need to win and score at least two in Dallas.

That assumes that Dallas beats Tauro tonight, which isn't a given. If they drop points in Panama then all we need is a en.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-28-2011, 07:49 AM
PRAYING for Tauro to grab a point at home vs Dallas tonight!.....anything is possible...they were able to snatch one at home vs pumas!!!..

Setting up a final matchday game vs Dallas with the winner moving on!...:)

TOBOR !
09-28-2011, 07:52 AM

So what you're saying is you'd prefer if folks didn't offer contrary opinions supported by personal observations.

You'd rather that everyone agreed, and rather than provide insight, just join in with the mob ?

Derko
09-28-2011, 07:53 AM

But then again, FCD looked like utter crap at home against Pumas, in my opinion TFC CAN beat FCD by 2 goals, given some luck and a whole team effort.

Tauro drew FCD in Dallas!!

rocker
09-28-2011, 07:53 AM
The Tauro game is almost irrelevant tonight to our chances, guys. We can't go through on anything but a win versus Dallas in the final match, even if Tauro were to pull off a shocker and beat Dallas (although certainly not allowing Dallas to win would make our chances slightly better). So we don't really need any help from Tauro now.

If Dallas ties or wins against Tauro, that's OK.

Scenario 1: Dallas loses to Tauro -- we are tied on points still.. we still need a winin the final match. Could be 1-0.

Scenario 2: Dallas tied Tauro -- they go one up in points -- must beat Dallas, but can be 1-0 win.

Scenario 3: Dallas beats Tauro -- they go to 10 points... we must beat Dallas with more away goals than they got at BMO. This would give us 10 points and we advance on the third tiebreaker (we'd be tied with Dallas on points between the two teams tied (3 each) + we'd be tied on goal difference between the two teams tied (2-2)).

So no matter what happens tonight, TFC still needs to win in Dallas. Is that an impossible result? You decide.

EDITED TO CORRECT MY AWFUL MATH.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
09-28-2011, 07:57 AM
The Tauro game is irrelevant tonight to our chances. We can't go through on anything but a win versus Dallas in the final match, even if Tauro were to pull off a shocker and beat Dallas. So we don't need any help from Tauro now.

true in a way...we need a win either way in dallas...but winning by 1....is alot more realistic then beating Dallas by 2 in there own barn by 2...

So Tauro grabbing a draw in Dallas would greatly help us

Ageroo
09-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Might not be a shocker...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2011/09/27/ccl-preview-reserves-key-fcd-face-high-energy-tauro

But not all of the Dallas regulars made the relaxing, four-hour trip south for the fifth game of six in group play.
Left in Dallas were Jackson, Daniel Hernandez and Brek Shea due to card suspensions. Midfielder Ricardo Villar also remained in Texas to get a bit of a breather following a long accumulation of minutes played. In their absence, head coach Schellas Hyndman is hoping two 2011 acquisitions perform well on Wednesday night.
“The player that needs to step up tomorrow is [Maykel] Galindo,” stated Hyndman. “He’s been with us all year, from one injury to another, and we need for him to get up and do the type of things that we think he is capable of doing. And then I think Bobby Warshaw needs to step up. It’s one thing to have a permanent fixture of Daniel there, but now it’s like, ‘No Daniel, Bobby, this is what we drafted you for.’”

Hopefully Tauro isn't suiting up youngsters for this one.

Oldtimer
09-28-2011, 07:59 AM
De Guzman had a great game.

great tactics and performance tonight I thought.

good tactics to not try and go toe to toe with the more skilled team, and to not leave iro and harden back there by themselves again.

some good old fashioned defensive 'prekiball' got the job done with a depleted lineup, and made sure we've got a chance still.

Some great tactical decisions by Winter in formation and play and grinding out a point. Honestly, I thought it would be difficult to even get that, given the absences (especially with Frings missing). I never thought he would have the flexibility to play something closer to "prekiball," but it was exactly what was needed to get the point, given the circumstances. I am getting more and more pleased with Winter's performance.

You can't be unhappy. We stole the point. We were shorthanded and played a good game overall against a better team that had more chances and showed real class. Sometimes sports is only about staying alive until the end, and hoping things break your way...

Exactly.

prizby
09-28-2011, 08:08 AM
too bad dallas players couldn't be suspended for the tfc game

Hugh Jazz
09-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Didn't realize there was such a big gap in our schedule before the Dallas game. Before TFC v. Dallas we only have 2 games while Dallas has to play 4, hopefully that works in our favour.

Suds
09-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Yeah, but we are Toronto sports fans. We always need a whipping boy on every sports team in town. :)

I'm no Iro fan either but I think he was OK last night - just OK.

-----

Overall I think TFC did what they needed to do to give themselves a shot at points against a more talented and faster team. Let's also remember we had a short bench and missing some of our better players.

Stinson & Morgan showed their development is coming along very nicely. They both had solid games last night. I felt De Guzman also had a strong game. Eks was consistent which is what you want from your defenders. Kosic made some key blocks when needed.

The thing I liked most from what I saw out there was the team looked like they were ready to win this game any way needed. They had some fight in this game. That tells me this group is willing to play for each other and I hope his continues.

Still lot's to improve on but I we are still in this with a good shot of making it out of the group.

rocker
09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
One thing to remember with Dallas's schedule.... both TFC and Dallas have a little break after this weekend, but Dallas has one extra match on the schedule in the run up to the final CCL game against TFC. So while both teams will come into the match on short rest, Dallas could be a little bit more tired and has one extra game's chance to get injured :) We also don't know what effect the playoff race will have on them.
Right now they would be scheduled for a "play in" game against the 10th place team on Oct 26.... so they play TFC Oct 18, Earthquakes in the final league game on the 22, and the first playoff game on Oct 26. Hyndman has a major balancing act ahead of him with his lineup.

Fishnicker
09-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Had you told me before the match it would end in a draw, I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

After scoring first, I was really hoping for the miracle win, but that wasn't to be. However, I am extremely proud of our boys. Ecks and DeGuz were beasts, the kids Morgan and Stinson keep impressing, Kocic was solid once again and Iro is quite tall.

After Ecks went down I thought we were done for sure but Gold did a decent job and now, with a little help from Tauro we have a realistic chance of advancing.

Speaking of Dallas' chances in Panama - they could only tie them at home and now have to go play in the long grass without Shea and Jackson. And they're reeling in league play with 4 losses out of the last 5. Sounds promising to me!

Back in the stands, I was able to annoy 2 groups of Pumas fans into moving out of 110 (although one pumas guy before leaving took a pic of his son, saying "You're in the middle of red country now!" Endearing, but not enough to want him to stay.

And did anyone else think that from far away the pumas keeper looked like he had a tuxedo t-shirt on?

Canary10
09-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Pumas are an EXCELLENT team. Really shows how big the gap is between us and the top teams on this side of the world. We did very well to get a draw. They left it all on the pitch last night. Have to say it was a bit scary midway through the second half and you knew we need to bring some fresh legs out to see who we actually had on the bench. There were really no options there at all. Matt Goald? Yikes. Anyway, really good effort, good result.

Dallas is sliding right now. I don't think it's a given that they get three points tonight. We have a realistic shot of beating them, especially in October when they are more likely to be thinking of the MLS playoffs. I like our chances.

Oldtimer
09-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Scenario 1: Dallas loses to Tauro -- we are tied on points still.. we still need a winin the final match. Could be 1-0.

A tie would work if it was 2-2 or higher. We would have more away goals.

__wowza
09-28-2011, 08:33 AM
nothing makes me feel worse than sitting back and counting on other teams to lose to improve our chances.

Yohan
09-28-2011, 08:43 AM
There was a lot of pumas supporters. There was a big contingent on top of 226 and pretty loud one on top of 104 plus a bunch sprinkled all over

Oldtimer
09-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Thread for Dallas/Tauro match here. I'm sure quite a few of us will be watching.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29714

Redpunkfiddle
09-28-2011, 08:46 AM
A tie would work if it was 2-2 or higher. We would have more away goals.

No. The first tiebreaker is points from matches between the two teams. So even if Dallas loses tonight and we both have 7 pts going into the last day we need to win as they beat us at home.

maninb
09-28-2011, 09:03 AM
When was the last time we beat ANY team away by 2 or more goals?

Auzzy
09-28-2011, 09:07 AM

We don't have to beat them by two goals. If Dallas wins today, we just have to score at least two goals, and win, in our game vs Dallas. Last time we did that was Sept. 10 2011 in Columbus. That was also winning away by "two or more goals" but that won't be needed vs. Dallas in any case.

Not saying it will be easy. Dallas has looked weak lately, but may rebound by the time we play them in a few weeks. We shall see.

CSO_BBTB
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Far from mission impossible, in my opinion. The bigger challenge was getting a result against Pumas.

Oldtimer
09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
No. The first tiebreaker is points from matches between the two teams. So even if Dallas loses tonight and we both have 7 pts going into the last day we need to win as they beat us at home.

Good point. Nothing goes easy for this team.

At least we don't have to win 6-1. :)

Jimmy_Stone_FNS
09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I felt it was a solid display. Not breathtaking but we were against a technically more gifted and capable side. Most importantly by winning a point the dream stays alive for another game. I feel like De Guzman is a holding midfielder being played out of position. He is a ball winner and safe passer for me but he often turns up on the edge of the box unable to play a killer pass. He had a good game last night, especially in his own half. As for Iro at times he defended very well, but he is so often out of position it is frustrating to watch. Overall we rode our luck but a very creditable point against a good Pumas side.

Ultra & Proud
09-28-2011, 09:45 AM

Columbus, 3 weeks ago. Did you miss it.

T-boy
09-28-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't understand several people on this thread moaning about Matt Gold? Like, "we were SO low on subs that we EVEN HAD TO USE CRAPPY GOLD".

From what I've seen from Gold this season (which isn't much, just a few sub appearances)....he looks quite good actually. To me, he looks as good as Stinson! He seems to have some energy about him and doesn't give the ball away, he seems a tidy midfielder.

I'd like to see more of Gold actually, and hopefully he will have a starting appearance before the end of the season so we can all see a full game from him.

brandrews
09-28-2011, 09:55 AM
i was near the front of 115 for the game last night, and some chud behind me started going off on de guzman right before the pumas goal in the second half; julian was on the post and the guy was screaming at him about how much he sucks. it was terrible. a few people politely told him not to be negative, then pumas scored.

the rest of the game, he keeps ragging on julian to his buddies, but it was funny, because he was chirping him for making good plays. as the ball was about to come to de guzman's feet he said something like "watch this...oh he actually made a pass", and then later on he chirped him for "actually getting stuck in". after a while he just started yelling to get de guzman off the field, and then said one of the dumbest things i've ever heard in so many ways, which was "we've got five guys playing centre back that would all be better at centre midfield than de guzman"...haha

anyways, long read but thought i'd share that as i hate fans like that. screaming at julian while he is withing earshot is wrong, in my opinion, in the first place (save the vitriol for the opposition); especially wrong though, when he is having a great game and bossing the middle of the park for us.

julian played awesome last night, and morgan and ecks were outstanding on the flanks; also, for what it's worth, i actually thought that both harden and iro were solid.

brad
09-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I was in 115 for the Tauro game and people there were having a go at Iro all match. I don't care how bad of a player he is or how bad he is playing - his own supporters singing songs about how crap he is not helping the situation or TFC in anyway.

Canary10
09-28-2011, 10:19 AM
I was pleased with the effort last night, and the result in of itself was somewhat positive. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, a draw wasn't good enough. The tournament is likely over for TFC unless they can pull off a shocker in Dallas and get a lot of help from Tauro, a club that is merely playing for pride at this point.

We hold our destiny in our hands. Frankly, I think a win at Dallas is a more achievable result than beating Pumas at home. Cheer up!

brandrews
09-28-2011, 10:37 AM
I was in 115 for the Tauro game and people there were having a go at Iro all match. I don't care how bad of a player he is or how bad he is playing - his own supporters singing songs about how crap he is not helping the situation or TFC in anyway.

i fully agree; i don't see how any positive result will come from this behaviour.

dude was wearing a tfc jersey, directly behind the net, in row 7 which is really the fourth row at that point, and julian is standing on the post. hopefully he tunes that kind of thing out all together, but nothing positive for the team you claim to support can come from that.

lobo
09-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I felt it was a solid display. Not breathtaking but we were against a technically more gifted and capable side. Most importantly by winning a point the dream stays alive for another game. I feel like De Guzman is a holding midfielder being played out of position. He is a ball winner and safe passer for me but he often turns up on the edge of the box unable to play a killer pass. He had a good game last night, especially in his own half. As for Iro at times he defended very well, but he is so often out of position it is frustrating to watch. Overall we rode our luck but a very creditable point against a good Pumas side.

hey jimmy ... welcome aboard

West220Side
09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Whoelse saw Iro playing target man/striker at the end of the game due to Johnsons fatigue? ...

Yohan
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Whoelse saw Iro playing target man/striker at the end of the game due to Johnsons fatigue? ...

I did. Cant say that the lad doesnt give it all

Chevy
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Yep. Say what you want about IRO's quality, but he was absolutely busting his ass over the last 30 minutes.

trane
09-28-2011, 11:16 AM
great tactics and performance tonight I thought. Pumas are clearly a better team than us, and we played it tight, going with 5 at the back, (even in the first half, stinson was rb and eckersley more central) rode our luck a bit as you have to, and scored one of the few chances we got.

good tactics to not try and go toe to toe with the more skilled team, and to not leave iro and harden back there by themselves again. Thought Harden had a great game in the middle of defence, organising things well, made a bunch of late tackles and clearances.

If koevermans wasn't hurt (setanta said he wasn't feeling well) and that was just a fatigue sub, then the chivas game looks even sillier now.

and setanta, what a shitshow, even in their scrolling apology, they spelt 'appoloogise' wrong.

Agreed, about evrything. We did not did not give up, and maybe with Danny K. in there maybe we get the needed points. I liked what we did in this one, still do not like that we did not rest our guys for Chivas.

[When playing defensive football, you more often then not get a goal late, when the over team is getting fatigued and pressing-Hence Koevermans being in late may have gotten an opportunity to push as ahead]

TFCREDNWHITE
09-28-2011, 11:16 AM
One thing that I think was a big mistake was subbing Koevermans out at the half....i understand that he was feeling sick. I don't have an issue with him being sick, that's fine....but replace him with an attacker....i don't think Winter should have gone to 5 defenders right at the half...maybe wait a bit to make that desicion at the 50th/60th....

TorontoPat
09-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I thought it was a great game, The shot that hit the post taken by the Mexican player was definitely the hardest shot I've ever seen at BMO. When Eckersley and the Mexican player's shin guards collided while they were onthe east side of the field, you could hear the bang clear over on the westside. An intense game the few fans that were there were really into it. I think I ticked a few Mexican fans off, anytime I passed one wearing the Mexican kit, I loudly stated to my wife. Look at that guy he came all the way from Mexico to watch this game.

West220Side
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I did. Cant say that the lad doesnt give it all

Yep. Say what you want about IRO's quality, but he was absolutely busting his ass over the last 30 minutes.

Definitely agreed. Everybodys welcome to there opinion about his defensive efforts. But he was really pushing to win the game at the end when it seemed like everybody else was set on the tie.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Definitely agreed. Everybodys welcome to there opinion about his defensive efforts. But he was really pushing to win the game at the end when it seemed like everybody else was set on the tie.

Really? He almost lost the game for us twice.....

T-boy
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
For all the thoughts on Iro and his performance, I'd say it was possibly a team selection error on Winter's part, actually. Knowing that Pumas are a very FAST team, Winter did have the option of picking Henry form the start, and not playing Iro. Henry is a MUCH faster player than Iro, and may have been better suited to Pumas fast attackers.

Say what you want about Iro, but if he almost lost us the game, just remember who selected to play the guy!

Ageroo
09-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Really? He almost lost the game for us twice.....

For all the thoughts on Iro and his performance, I'd say it was possibly a team selection error on Winter's part, actually. Knowing that Pumas are a very FAST team, Winter did have the option of picking Henry form the start, and not playing Iro. Henry is a MUCH faster player than Iro, and may have been better suited to Pumas fast attackers.

Say what you want about Iro, but if he almost lost us the game, just remember who selected to play the guy!

I have my issues with Iro like most, but he did give it his all last night. He was pressing the Pumas players near the end to pass or make mistakes when many others on TFC were just sitting back.

Regardless of Iro's gaffs......I was behind the south end goal and the way that guy had hit the ball and how it was bending and pace...he may have saved a goal. That was a well struck shot.

DichioTFC
09-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Not sure how this became an Iro Appreciation Thread, but the result was decent. Had Winter not set a more defensive formation to start the second half (make the Koev/Henry sub & other changes in the 60' as opposed to '45) I'm sure we could have had all three points. Regardless, we're still undefeated at home against Mexican teams and that's something to be proud of.

If Tauro get a result tonight, we have a great chance to get 3 points in Dallas.

IdfMCctSLt4

DoubleUp
09-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Iam glad we're finally trying to break the culture of running players out of town. Wasnt able to watch the full match, but caught "the game in six". Only thing that floored me was Johnson not passing to Stinson who was standing in front of a wide open net, things like that are the difference between the quality of Pumas and us that is abc football and could have helped us gain the full 3points. I commend the boys and Winter, for trying hard to turn this team around....Good job.:scarf:

v00d00daddy
09-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't agree with all the Iro is shit/Iro is good...it was Iro's fault we almost lost...it was Winters fault we didn't get 3 points talk.

We conceded for a very simple reason.

We had 3 towering central defenders in our box on a static set play corner and they failed to execute.

They had all the time in the world to compose themselves...mark their man and be aware of what their teammates were doing. It was a stupid lazy brain fart.

We should never be beaten to a ball like that when there are so many of our players that could/should have easily eaten up that ball.

Eliminate mistakes in situations when you're not under reaction based pressure (ie free kicks...throw ins and corners) and wed probably cut out a ton of goals against.

It's not a tactics thing and it's not even a talent thing...it's a concentration, execution and determination thing.

My take at least.

At the end of the day I was happy to see that, while we were outplayed, we hung in there and showed character. There was no head hanging out there. A nice effort.

Now let's go Tauro! Lol

Rivaldo
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Is Sportsnet replaying this game? It's on my program guide for 12:30 pm today on Sportsnet East, but they're showing the Premier League review.

Shakes McQueen
09-28-2011, 01:50 PM

I agree that it was pretty solid. Also, glad you found your way to our corner of the TFC-world, Jimmy. Love the blog.

Pumas simply outclassed us talent-wise, but I thought we hung in there reasonably well. Not having Frings, and losing Koov, clearly hurt though.

We are still alive.

- Scott

jazzy
09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't understand several people on this thread moaning about Matt Gold? Like, "we were SO low on subs that we EVEN HAD TO USE CRAPPY GOLD".

From what I've seen from Gold this season (which isn't much, just a few sub appearances)....he looks quite good actually. To me, he looks as good as Stinson! He seems to have some energy about him and doesn't give the ball away, he seems a tidy midfielder.

I'd like to see more of Gold actually, and hopefully he will have a starting appearance before the end of the season so we can all see a full game from him.

Matt Gold in reserves was taking JDG's spot and doing a very impressive job...at one point when JdG not doing very well, I didn't think it out of place subing Gold in.....he was very vocal out there positioning players.......doesn't make many mistakes...has soccer smarts

KezmanCCCC
09-28-2011, 08:53 PM
well tauro is making a mochary of fc dallas right now... i dont know if that is a bad thing or a good thing for us.... atleast it keeps fc dallas down.... now we need a result in dallas and for pumas to beat tauro on the next match day...

Auzzy
09-28-2011, 09:10 PM
well tauro is making a mochary of fc dallas right now... i dont know if that is a bad thing or a good thing for us.... atleast it keeps fc dallas down.... now we need a result in dallas and for pumas to beat tauro on the next match day...

We "just" need a win in Dallas & we're through.

Yohan
09-28-2011, 10:44 PM
the Horto sounded great last game btw. more Horto is always good!

habstfc
09-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Apparently dallas got two reds, who were they. That's going to help.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't agree with all the Iro is shit/Iro is good...it was Iro's fault we almost lost...it was Winters fault we didn't get 3 points talk.

We conceded for a very simple reason.

We had 3 towering central defenders in our box on a static set play corner and they failed to execute.

They had all the time in the world to compose themselves...mark their man and be aware of what their teammates were doing. It was a stupid lazy brain fart.

We should never be beaten to a ball like that when there are so many of our players that could/should have easily eaten up that ball.

Eliminate mistakes in situations when you're not under reaction based pressure (ie free kicks...throw ins and corners) and wed probably cut out a ton of goals against.

It's not a tactics thing and it's not even a talent thing...it's a concentration, execution and determination thing.

My take at least.

At the end of the day I was happy to see that, while we were outplayed, we hung in there and showed character. There was no head hanging out there. A nice effort.

Now let's go Tauro! Lol

I've seen you at many TFC functions, and I know both you and I are well versed in the game.....that being said...

High levels of concentration, execution and determination are found in very good players, and those 3 things are what separate the greatest players in the world from the rest.....

Iro lacks many things, some that can be taught, and some not...

At the end of the day, unfortunately for him, he is going to be moved and shipped out...

Auzzy
09-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Apparently dallas got two reds, who were they. That's going to help.

Castillo & Benitez, excellent news for TFC!

Alonso
09-29-2011, 02:34 AM

The sooner people get over it, the sooner we can upgrade the position!

This kind of insight is truly startling.

Deep.

Well thought out.

Nice.

(I think I just made a Haiku, but I'm not exactly sure what a Haiku is)

Alonso
09-29-2011, 02:51 AM

This. We as a group should quash this shit when we see/hear it.

Alonso
09-29-2011, 02:59 AM
I thought it was a great game, The shot that hit the post taken by the Mexican player was definitely the hardest shot I've ever seen at BMO. When Eckersley and the Mexican player's shin guards collided while they were onthe east side of the field, you could hear the bang clear over on the westside. An intense game the few fans that were there were really into it. I think I ticked a few Mexican fans off, anytime I passed one wearing the Mexican kit, I loudly stated to my wife. Look at that guy he came all the way from Mexico to watch this game.

Haha. That's funny. And whenever I saw a TFC fan I said out loud that my Mexican mother came all the way from Mexico to give birth to me in 1977 so that I could grow up to cheer against Pumas for a Toronto soccer club.

Suckers! Mexicans are stupid.

__wowza
09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
This. We as a group should quash this shit when we see/hear it.

yes, he is one of the boys, but i'm not thrilled about his performance either. who would waste their energy heckling one of our players when there's a good chance he won't be back next season? especially when there's 11 other players on the pitch more deserving of our hate.

QUASH
THAT
SHIT

rocker
09-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Can somebody translate for me what the Mexicans yelled after each TFC goal kick? I have a feeling it's foul language but I don't speak Spanish.

Ageroo
09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Can somebody translate for me what the Mexicans yelled after each TFC goal kick? I have a feeling it's foul language but I don't speak Spanish.

They were waiting for him to kick it then yelling "Puto" which can translate to various things, but all being bad. lol

rocker
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
They were waiting for him to kick it then yelling "Puto" which can translate to various things, but all being bad. lol

tell me what it means!!!

I want to come up with a spanish comeback to yell after.

Ageroo
09-29-2011, 11:18 AM
tell me what it means!!!

I want to come up with a spanish comeback to yell after.

Google Puto & Soccer....there seems to be a wide variety of meanings. Maybe one of the Spanish speaking chaps on here can enlighten us in a way that I will not ban them for use of "colourful language" :D

ManUtd4ever
09-29-2011, 11:21 AM
LOL!

I had a group of PUMAS supporters sitting in the section right beside me. It definitely added a different flavor to the atmosphere. I liked it!

Ageroo
09-29-2011, 11:23 AM

Along the same lines...there is a guy a couple rows behind me in 115 that no matter what JDG is doing he constantly breates him... Pumas had a corner and Julian was on the post and this guy was just giving him an earful..."You suck, quit, etc, etc...."

I was about to turn around and say to the guy....is he here to support TFC or not? He had a jersey on so I assume he was. Luckily for the guy, someone behind me turned to the guy and said "He is on our team right now, so suck it up and support the team...how are you helping things?" I wouldn't have been so polite.. :) The guy didn't say anything the rest of the match.

Ageroo
09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
LOL!

I had a group of PUMAS supporters sitting in the section right beside me. It definitely added a different flavor to the atmosphere. I liked it!

Sitting first row behind the net it was like Dolby Digital Stereo Surround Sound every time Kocic kicked the ball....the sound was crazy.

An easy chant to do and can be effective......maybe it will rub off on people for regular TFC matches.....

starter
09-29-2011, 11:29 AM

Henry may be faster, and I like his development a lot, but he is too inexperienced to start at the CB at the game like this, and would have certainly cost us more than Iro did. IMO of course.

brandrews
09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Along the same lines...there is a guy a couple rows behind me in 115 that no matter what JDG is doing he constantly breates him... Pumas had a corner and Julian was on the post and this guy was just giving him an earful..."You suck, quit, etc, etc...."

I was about to turn around and say to the guy....is he here to support TFC or not? He had a jersey on so I assume he was. Luckily for the guy, someone behind me turned to the guy and said "He is on our team right now, so suck it up and support the team...how are you helping things?" I wouldn't have been so polite.. :) The guy didn't say anything the rest of the match.

judging by your following post, it sounds like you were in front and to the left of my dad and i, as we were in the second row. i mentioned some things about that guy earlier in the thread, and he definitely kept complaining about julian afterwards, but mostly just talking to his buddies rather than yelling. maybe you're used to him and just tune him out.

Ageroo
09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
judging by your following post, it sounds like you were in front and to the left of my dad and i, as we were in the second row. i mentioned some things about that guy earlier in the thread, and he definitely kept complaining about julian afterwards, but mostly just talking to his buddies rather than yelling. maybe you're used to him and just tune him out.

Yes...I was in row 4 the last man to your left for a while, until a couple came into the row...and you are right. I guess I've just learned to tune him out. I was so mad though last night because up to the point JDG, the team and everything else was going well....and this idiot decided this was a good time to rag on him.

My brother-in-law also caught him saying to his buddies something to the effect of "Look at how bad he is....he is not going after the ball, he is marking guys who don't even have the ball...."

Hey idiot...it is called cutting off passing lanes, which is his job when he is not winning the ball or passing it.....some people have no clue...

Pookie
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
JDG is playing extremely well and his play matches his positive attitude.

Ageroo
09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
JDG is playing extremely well and his play matches his positive attitude.

I am sure he has been called worse things playing in Germany and Spain.....so I don't think people's views on him really bother him. I am sure he knows up until recently, he hasn't been the DP everyone wanted him to be.......

TorontoPat
09-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Sitting first row behind the net it was like Dolby Digital Stereo Surround Sound every time Kocic kicked the ball....the sound was crazy.

An easy chant to do and can be effective......maybe it will rub off on people for regular TFC matches.....
The stands on the second level west side can make a heck of a loud drumroll sound. I guess they were stomping their feet. Could they get that sound by banging their hands on the railings up there?

TorontoPat
09-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Haha. That's funny. And whenever I saw a TFC fan I said out loud that my Mexican mother came all the way from Mexico to give birth to me in 1977 so that I could grow up to cheer against Pumas for a Toronto soccer club.

Suckers! Mexicans are stupid.
Yes! I knew I ticked some of them off:scarf:

mastermixer
09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Even though the crowd was smaller on Tuesday night, the stands seemed to have much more energy than most games, especially outside the supporters sections. I guess even we didn't want to be outdone by the Mexican fans.

brandrews
09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes...I was in row 4 the last man to your left for a while, until a couple came into the row...and you are right. I guess I've just learned to tune him out. I was so mad though last night because up to the point JDG, the team and everything else was going well....and this idiot decided this was a good time to rag on him.

My brother-in-law also caught him saying to his buddies something to the effect of "Look at how bad he is....he is not going after the ball, he is marking guys who don't even have the ball...."

Hey idiot...it is called cutting off passing lanes, which is his job when he is not winning the ball or passing it.....some people have no clue...

haha...i knew there was another stupid comment that i had forgotten about; "he is marking guys who don't even have the ball". off the top of my head, i can't think of any team sport where that statement would make sense.

i mentioned another one earlier in this thread that was great too, he declared that there were five centre backs playing that could all play centre midfield better than de guzman; dumb on so many levels.

a couple of times i was tempted to turn and say something to him, but i was too busy screaming at the ref...haha.

rocker
09-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah, great energy in the crowd. There were pockets of Mexican fans interspersed with TFC fans in my area. For example, in 125 we had about 5 of them sitting in the row right in front. But we had 4 TFC fans just behind and to the left of us. There were a lot of good natured jabs between us TFC fans and the Mexican fans. There was one guy in his Pumas shirt about 4 rows back, always making negative comments about TFC and promoting his team. It was wonderful when Marosevic scored and all of us TFC fans turned around and cheered at him.... I yelled "Golasssssoo!!!" at him. hahah.

Every time the Mexicans would yell "puto!!" the TFC fans a few rows in front of them would yell "WANKERS!!!!" Most of them didn't know what that meant.

Although the funny part was we started agreeing with the Mexicans that the refereeing wasn't good. hahaha.

It reminded me of the recent Canada game and the Jamaica-Canada WCQ game. When you have enemy fans in the building, you just get so much more energy in you. You want to show them who's boss.

brandrews
09-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Although the funny part was we started agreeing with the Mexicans that the refereeing wasn't good. hahaha.

nice to find common ground....haha.

there were little pockets of pumas fans closer to midifeld on both the east and west side of the pitch; and from 115, they sounded organized and loud when they got a chant going.

brad
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves - know it alls that have no idea about the game works.