PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Tuesday,Sep.27

denime
09-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp)

Tough Task For Toronto (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/09/tough-task-toronto)

Toronto Must Tame Rampant Pumas (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/09/toronto-must-tame-rampant-pumas)

Frings & the case for the defence (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/johnmolinaro/2011/09/answer-to-defensive-problems-right-under-tfcs-nose.html)

Reds lose four for Champions League clash (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/1059955--reds-lose-four-for-champions-league-clash)

Reds face tough decisions in must-win match (http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/26/reds-face-tough-decisions-tonight-in-must-win-match)

Seattle can clinch, Toronto FC needs huge upset (http://www.socceramerica.com/article/43956/seattle-can-clinch-toronto-fc-needs-huge-upset.html)

CCL Preview: Tough challenge beckons for Toronto FC (http://www.mlssoccer.com/ccl/news/article/2011/09/26/ccl-tough-challenge-beckons-toronto-fc)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

_

scooter
09-27-2011, 06:55 AM
mornin d

Parkdale
09-27-2011, 07:59 AM
here we go....

mastermixer
09-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Wow... we truly are underdogs according to the articles. What a sweet victory it would be :scarf:

London
09-27-2011, 08:11 AM
JDG must be huge today

TFCREDNWHITE
09-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Gameday!! We face a monumental task tonight, we neeed to be loud and proud tonight!

I'll be there screaming my head off, hopefully there is at least 17,000 there tonight

mastermixer
09-27-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm guessing we will see quite a few mexican flags waving tonight.

Waggy
09-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Not exactly news per say, but Toronto fc has it's part in the article, and the breakdown of what's wrong with Toronto sports/mlse is relevant

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7023368/worst-sports-city-world

Besides, it's always nice when one of the biggest sports websites in the world recognizes our pain and suffering. I'd, uh, skip the Dichio section though.

Oldtimer
09-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Gameday!! We face a monumental task tonight, we neeed to be loud and proud tonight!

I'll be there screaming my head off, hopefully there is at least 17,000 there tonight

I would guess under 10,000.

Just for kicks, I looked for 6 in a row in the SS and found it in 113.

Oldtimer
09-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Not exactly news per say, but Toronto fc has it's part in the article, and the breakdown of what's wrong with Toronto sports/mlse is relevant

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7023368/worst-sports-city-world

Besides, it's always nice when one of the biggest sports websites in the world recognizes our pain and suffering. I'd, uh, skip the Dichio section though.

Full of factual inaccuracies. ML$E doesn't own the Jays, for example.

Dichio wasn't the slowest player in the league, and he wasn't loved for his speed but his attitude, grit, technical skill, and how he made that whole crappy team play better.

ArmenJBX
09-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Danny Dichio set up a goal for GABE GALA of all people, who scored against Real Madrid!

How many people can say that?

Dkolish3
09-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Dichio wasn't the slowest player in the league, and he wasn't loved for his speed but his attitude, grit, technical skill, and how he made that whole crappy team play better.

I think your missing the point of the article. What he's saying is that Toronto fans have always loved the Tie Domi's, and Dan Gargan's (for a time) of the sports world and have always been to quick too criticize and call for the trade of skill players. Sure one argument for Toronto teams losing is that the skill players aren't playing their best and the blue collar guys can only play up to their abilities. But the counter to that is that Toronto teams should get better players and appreciate the better players more and Toronto won't win until they do.

Waggy
09-27-2011, 10:17 AM

I dunno about writing off a good look at the psychology of being a sports fan in toronto because of what's most probably a typo, and a stance you disagree with. I love Dichio, but he definitely is part of the narrative of us loving the 'grinder' type players over the flashy type players.

Whoop
09-27-2011, 10:21 AM
LOL...

This could descend into another DeRo debate. LOL

But Dkolish3 hit the nail on the head, factual inaccuracies aside, the author's main thrust is bang on.

Beach_Red
09-27-2011, 10:24 AM
LOL...

But Dkolish3 hit the nail on the head, factual inaccuracies aside, the author's main thrust is bang on.

Yes, it's painful to read but it's true.

Suds
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
LOL...

Yep. We, Toronto sports fans in general, sure do love our underdogs and are fairly short on patience and quick to criticize with our most skilled players. (generally speaking)

To use an example from across the pond. Chelsea fans have given Torres all the support and time to turn his game around. And at $50 Million I think they could not be criticized of their patience wore thin in short order. It looks like he just could be on the road back to playing the way he can. If this same thing happened on a Toronto sports team he would have been run out of town months ago.

Carts
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
When people start to rag on Toronto in terms of pro-sports performance (which they have every right to do) I look at the bright side...

As a Canadian city, at least WE HAVE PRO-SPORTS teams to rag on...!!!

Of the four big sports leagues in North America (I know in popularity it doesn't go that way) we have teams in three of them (and currently host a reg season game in the other)... The most every other city has, 1...

Of the smaller leagues, we have MLS, NLL, CFL... No other city has all three I don't beleive...

We get an Indy Car race (as does Edmonton / while Montreal gets the big boys of F1)...

IT COULD BE WORSE...

We could be Vancouver or Montreal with NHL, CFL, MLS (we have more with MLB & NBA)...

We could be Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg with only NHL & CFL (we have much more)...

Worse, we could only have CFL or less...

I know we suck - but at least we're in the game... Most other Canadian cities can't even say that...

Carts...

TFCRegina
09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
I think your missing the point of the article. What he's saying is that Toronto fans have always loved the Tie Domi's, and Dan Gargan's (for a time) of the sports world and have always been to quick too criticize and call for the trade of skill players. Sure one argument for Toronto teams losing is that the skill players aren't playing their best and the blue collar guys can only play up to their abilities. But the counter to that is that Toronto teams should get better players and appreciate the better players more and Toronto won't win until they do.

Not to drag this into a De Ro debate, but this argument was made then in the past.

I think it's bang on too. It's a trait seen in pretty much every Toronto sports team.

TFCRegina
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
When people start to rag on Toronto in terms of pro-sports performance (which they have every right to do) I look at the bright side...

Of the four big sports leagues in North America (I know in popularity it doesn't go that way) we have teams in three of them (and currently host a reg season game in the other)... The most every other city has, 1...

Of the smaller leagues, we have MLS, NLL, CFL... No other city has all three I don't beleive...

We get an Indy Car race (as does Edmonton / while Montreal gets the big boys of F1)...

IT COULD BE WORSE...

We could be Vancouver or Montreal with NHL, CFL, MLS (we have more with MLB & NBA)...

We could be Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg with only NHL & CFL (we have much more)...

I know we suck - but at least we're in the game... Most other Canadian cities can't even say that...

Carts...

That was cold dude. ;)

Waggy
09-27-2011, 11:48 AM

IT COULD BE WORSE...

Carts...

Totally agree with you, but what popped into my head reading that was "Is it better to win at 1 thing or lose at 6?"

Also, off topic, but I have a hunch the Bills game here this year is going to sell WAY better than the previous ones. Even I may go again (havent gone since the first one)

Carts
09-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Totally agree with you, but what popped into my head reading that was "Is it better to win at 1 thing or lose at 6?"

Ya but in our case it would be "...is it better to lose at 1 thing or lose at 6 things?..." :hide:

Carts... :D

Waggy
09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Ya but in our case it would be "...is it better to lose at 1 thing or lose at 6 things?..." :hide:

Carts... :D

Touche haha. At least we're good at what we do

ginkster88
09-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Classic Toronto/Canadian mentality... we have 3 so it's okay if they suck.

In NYC it's the best at them all or nothing.

It should be the same fucking thing here.

ag futbol
09-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Agreed 100%.

It's hard for people in this town to come to terms with someone's personal best still not being good enough to bring success. Eg. Sundin at 60% is still doing more for the team than Tie Domi at 110%.

Consequently problems are always phrased in terms of why isn't our best player playing better rather than the probably more valid: "why do the peripheral players on these teams suck so badly?"

pdogg
09-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Classic Toronto/Canadian mentality... we have 3 so it's okay if they suck.

In NYC it's the best at them all or nothing.

It should be the same fucking thing here.

The NY landscape of sports hasn't exactly been sterling outside of the Yankees. I'll focus on the NY specific teams and not the NJ ones with exception of the NFL

NBA - NY Knicks (Last 10 seasons - 2 playoff apps - out in 1st round) - They haven't been the same since Ewing left and before than went on streaks of making playoffs/not making playoffs
NHL - NY Rangers (Since '94 Stanley Cup have been streaky - didn't make playoffs between '98 and '05 and have been out in the first round in more than half the playoffs since - also went 53 seasons without winning a stanley cup)
MLB - Yankees - highest payroll in the league by far - spends more than 5x that of the lowest team (contenders every year - but $$$ hasn't guaranteed a championship. It does seem to buy you into the top 6 of the league though)
NFL - Can't speak too much on that, as the playoff system is different - though the Jets are a running joke in terms of dysfunction, but the giants have had some success. Other teams have faired much better and have been more consistent.

The MLSE teams in Toronto (Leafs, Raptors) have not done well - but the Jays show promise and youth, and the Argos are the most decorated Toronto team in the last 20 years, but are at a different level (tier 2 league?)

Carts
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
The NY landscape of sports hasn't exactly been sterling outside of the Yankees. I'll focus on the NY specific teams and not the NJ ones with exception of the NFL

NBA - NY Knicks (Last 10 seasons - 2 playoff apps - out in 1st round) - They haven't been the same since Ewing left and before than went on streaks of making playoffs/not making playoffs
NHL - NY Rangers (Since '94 Stanley Cup have been streaky - didn't make playoffs between '98 and '05 and have been out in the first round in more than half the playoffs since - also went 53 seasons without winning a stanley cup)
MLB - Yankees - highest payroll in the league by far - spends more than 5x that of the lowest team (contenders every year - but $$$ hasn't guaranteed a championship. It does seem to buy you into the top 6 of the league though)
NFL - Can't speak too much on that, as the playoff system is different - though the Jets are a running joke in terms of dysfunction, but the giants have had some success. Other teams have faired much better and have been more consistent.

The MLSE teams in Toronto (Leafs, Raptors) have not done well - but the Jays show promise and youth, and the Argos are the most decorated Toronto team in the last 20 years, but are at a different level (tier 2 league?)

I was writing this post when you posted it... LOL...

Yankees - yup, best in the game can't deny that...

All the rest - nothing too special...

New York IS Basketball - winning or nothing else... That being in 1973 (that's almost as BAD AS THE LEAFS!!!)...

New York IS Hockey - winning or nothing else... That being in 1994 (hey one more recent that the Habs, but only 20 or so behind! lol)

The there's the METS. Hey they won it in 1986 - WAIT... TORONTO WON 1993 & 1994... But NY Mets is better - because best or else...

Yeah, New York f*cking best or else... Now thats funny...

dupont
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, New York f*cking best or else... Now thats funny...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one laughing about it!

KezmanCCCC
09-27-2011, 06:02 PM
oh btw is there anywhere online to watch the match??? also is it free to watch the matches on the concacaf site??

Yohan
09-27-2011, 06:19 PM
oh btw is there anywhere online to watch the match??? also is it free to watch the matches on the concacaf site??

Yes. Just need to register