PDA

View Full Version : Pre Game-TFC @ Chivas,Sep.24

denime
09-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Toronto FC @ Chivas USA Saturday, September 24th @ 10:30 p.m. ET on GOLTV

What is going to be,a rest players game or get another win game?

Klinsmann
09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
^ Both?

ArmenJBX
09-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Kocic; Viator, Harden, Iro, Borman; Frings, Dunfield, Avila; Marosevic, Johnson, Yourassowsky

TorontoPat
09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Rest, it`s not a home game.

BuSaPuNk
09-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Both. I say until were completely dead in the league might as well keep the momentum going.

Anyone watching the game at Joe's or somewhere else saturday? I know UFC has a PPV that night so it might be tough finding a place.

trane
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Rest. Not doing so would be a grave mistake.

rocker
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
since the playoffs are basically over, I'd rest guys too. They can play Avila, since he can't play against Pumas anyways. Use it as a last chance for certain players to prove they should stick around (uhhh.. Martina...?). Johnson definitely needs a rest.

we're gonna need fresh legs against Pumas.

ManUtd4ever
09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Play the scrubs.

Darlofletch
09-21-2011, 11:29 PM
let's go for 40 for the season, let omphroy, griffit, davies and anyone else who hasn't played in mls so far get a game.

seriously, with it involving a trip to LA, b team it up, let people like martina, sturgis, yourassowsky and so on show their worth, anyone with even the slightest nagging injury, or anyone who just needs a rest, let them stay home.

I don't think this will happen though.

Yohan
09-21-2011, 11:32 PM
I have a feeling that Winter wants the team to continue to try to win as much as possible to build the winning mentality.

Because any loss does take its effect on team morale. Momentum counts, esp going against a good team like Pumas. Harder to get motivated to try to win a big game after a loss.

Empirical
09-22-2011, 12:11 AM
we win our next 4 we have a 10% chance on making the playoffs. would be one of the most glorious comebacks in sports history? you want to be the guy who said play the scrubs before it?

PopePouri
09-22-2011, 12:23 AM
we win our next 4 we have a 10% chance on making the playoffs. would be one of the most glorious comebacks in sports history? you want to be the guy who said play the scrubs before it?

+1. Play until it's mathematically impossible. Tonight, none of the teams went out to take charge and play for that last playoff spot. New York lost and both DC and Portland drew.

Keeps the hopes alive.

CSO_BBTB
09-22-2011, 01:22 AM
The players had a long rest earlier this month to recharge their batteries. Play most of the regular starters and aim to get the win.

SirBobSaget
09-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Travelling to California and back is exhausting, even if you don't play.

Let the key guys stay behind and get in 3 extra training sessions to work out the game plan vs Pumas.

ag futbol
09-22-2011, 08:31 AM
CL in many ways is also improbable, although in pure odds we have a better shot than in the league.

Play in a way that helps us down the road (which is not simply next game). That's all I ask for.

ManUtd4ever
09-22-2011, 09:22 AM

+1. Play until it's mathematically impossible. Tonight, none of the teams went out to take charge and play for that last playoff spot. New York lost and both DC and Portland drew.

Keeps the hopes alive.

I would love nothing more than for TFC to make an improbable late season charge towards a playoff spot. However, it's practically impossible at this point if you consider the number of teams that TFC would have to leapfrog in the standings, and the fact that some of those clubs have 2-3 games in hand. Simply put, it's not going to happen.

Conversely, TFC is in a far more enviable position in Group C of the CCL, being only one point out of contention, and on par with Dallas and Pumas in terms of games played.

The next MLS match against Chivas is essentially meaningless, with nothing more than pride at stake, while the next CCL match against Pumas should be treated as the most significant match in franchise history.

Roogsy
09-22-2011, 09:27 AM
^ I agree with Mr 4ever...

ginkster88
09-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Seriously some of you guys are like the Leaf fans who don't realize that losing 17 games before Christmas means no playoffs that season.

__wowza
09-22-2011, 10:15 AM
let's look at the facts for a second:

- we're six teams back from a playoff spot
- 5 of those teams have (at least) a game in hand
- the average game in hand for each team is 2
- we have the worst goal differential in the league
- because of this we'd have to clear the last place team by a point
- to reach the magic 40 points we'd have to win each game
- winning each game provides us with 41 points
- that doesn't account for the games in hand of the 6 teams, that're all ahead of us now, that we currently need to leapfrog to get into the playoffs

aside from that, what manu said.

Gazza
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I would love nothing more than for TFC to make an improbable late season charge towards a playoff spot. However, it's practically impossible at this point if you consider the number of teams that TFC would have to leapfrog in the standings, and the fact that some of those clubs have 2-3 games in hand. Simply put, it's not going to happen.

Conversely, TFC is in a far more enviable position in Group C of the CCL, being only one point out of contention, and on par with Dallas and Pumas in terms of games played.

The next MLS match against Chivas is essentially meaningless, with nothing more than pride at stake, while the next CCL match against Pumas should be treated as the most significant match in franchise history.

So you're saying there's a chance?

Razor
09-22-2011, 10:52 AM
rest koevs..frings..jdg and anyone else that has any nagging injuries.

play the b team on sat and kick some puma ass on tuesday.

PopePouri
09-22-2011, 10:55 AM
So you're saying there's a chance?

http://youtu.be/KX5jNnDMfxA

rocker
09-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I have a feeling that Winter wants the team to continue to try to win as much as possible to build the winning mentality.

Because any loss does take its effect on team morale. Momentum counts, esp going against a good team like Pumas. Harder to get motivated to try to win a big game after a loss.

I don't believe in momentum. It's an idea humans make up to explain success (a team wins 5 games in a row, we say they have momentum.. but momentum didn't cause them to win game 2,3,4, and 5... they just won a game, then another game, then another... could be lots of factors in why, including injuries to the other team, travel, new signing etc.).

For example, TFC beat Columbus and played well (after two weeks off, not surprisingly), then got hammered in Mexico... but after getting hammered they came back and won 1-0. If our b-team gets hammered by Chivas, I don't see it having any effect on morale. And if half the guys stay in Toronto, they weren't even in LA to experience the loss, if that even mattered.

But I do believe that resting Johnson, Koev, Frings, Eck, etc could have a massive effect in helping us beat this very good Pumas team moreso than any morale issues.

__wowza
09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't believe in momentum. It's an idea humans make up to explain success (a team wins 5 games in a row, we say they have momentum.. but momentum didn't cause them to win game 2,3,4, and 5... they just won a game, then another game, then another..

that just reminds me of this..

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mlb_experts__59/ept_sports_mlb_experts-575294055-1279409985.jpg?ymBN9dDD0guFq9F7

"We won a game yesterday, if we win one today that's two in a row. If we win one tomorrow, that's called a winning streak. It has happened before."

spark
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mlb_experts__59/ept_sports_mlb_experts-575294055-1279409985.jpg?ymBN9dDD0guFq9F7

"We won a game yesterday, if we win one today that's two in a row. If we win one tomorrow, that's called a winning streak. It has happened before."

Haha yeah both statements are equally absurd!

rocker
09-22-2011, 10:07 PM

haha. That's a funny quote.

If Winter puts together a squad that wins a bunch of games in a row, the team doesn't win because one win leads to another win which leads to another win (momentum); the team wins because Winter puts together a good squad and other teams are not as good! :)

Anyways, putting the kids out for Chivas isn't gonna have any psychological effect on the team playing Pumas in my opinion. If momentum existed, Tauro would have blown us out after the damaging loss against Pumas. But no, somehow TFC won...... ;) Similarly, putting the kids out for the Chivas game and winning or tieing would be awesome for the kids. If they lose, who cares? If Frings is relaxing back in Toronto at the time, he isn't gonna be psychologically damaged for the Pumas game.

Couchy81
09-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Champions League is the most realistic chance right now, I'd like to see us put all our eggs in that basket. 1 point back with 2 games in CL group stage, or 10% chance to make MLS playoffs... If we make headlines in CL it's more glory and recognition than making the boring old MLS playoffs. The MLS cup just feels so meh to me for some reason.

Wingback6
09-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Go for the win.... want to say it's in Winter's nature, being a former international... but he has proven himself to be anything but predictable this season IMHO.

reggie
09-22-2011, 11:46 PM
is it true that frings is out of tuesdays match because of yellow cards?

Fort York Redcoat
09-23-2011, 05:59 AM
I will trust that Kocic knows and he said Frings was unavailable last night on the Soccer Show.

This has changed my view on the next 2 matches. Frings and kids vs Chivas. The best minus Frings Tues.

Oldtimer
09-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Go for the win.... want to say it's in Winter's nature, being a former international... but he has proven himself to be anything but predictable this season IMHO.

Agreed. We may armchair coach, but I don't know if we can do anything but guess what Winter may do.

The funny thing is, Chivas is not looking good right now, and there is even a chance that TFC playing some kids might get the win.

moralis
09-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I watched yesterday's soccer show on Setanta and heard what Milos said about Frings being out. So I checked to see if Frings picked up a yellow card in the last game against Tauro FC. He did not pick up a yellow card, but Dunfield and Yourassousky did.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-09-20-toronto-fc-vs-tauro/stats

Here's the MLS stats page. If someone has twitter can they confirm with Asif about this. Need to find out for sure.

Thanks

Canary10
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
According to the CONCACAF website Frings got a yellow in the 90th minute:

http://www.concacafchampions.com/page/CL/Schedule/0,,12856,00.html

Canary10
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Guess that settles one question about who should play tomorrow....

Torontotonto
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
The above links contridict each other.

One link shows no yellow for Frings in the Tauro game and the other shows he received a yellow in the 90' and he had one in the previous match against Dallas.

Had no idea we might be without our captain for the Pumas match ?
That would be a huge loss...

Can anyone confirm.

Canary10
09-23-2011, 01:50 PM
I would take CONCACAF's match report over MLS's.

Alonso
09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
And Kocic's word over anyone else's... he should know what's up.

__wowza
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
haha. That's a funny quote.

If Winter puts together a squad that wins a bunch of games in a row, the team doesn't win because one win leads to another win which leads to another win (momentum); the team wins because Winter puts together a good squad and other teams are not as good! :)

i agree and i disagree, i know that sometimes a team can be in good form. all of the pieces click, everyone has a good game (or enough of or players have a good enough game to mask the ones who aren't), etc.

however, there is a certain X factor to winning that may put a team in the mindset to continue winning. i'd like to argue that if a team has a losing streak, it does affect the teams morale, so shouldnt winning do the opposite of that? (in B4: victory disease!)

Empirical
09-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Look dude. I know about math and probability. It is possible to make the playoffs. It is impossible to determine whether it is going to happen. Foreseeably 'less probable' things happen each day.

Torontotonto
09-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Anyone know a stream for this match ?

:flare::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

Oldtimer
09-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Anyone know a stream for this match ?

:flare::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

I know the FAN590 will have it on the web, and once the baseball game is inished will have it on the radio (in progress).

Furtado91
09-24-2011, 08:36 PM
http://tvportugalhd.com/

Looks like these guys will have the game. Right on the site click on the football tab and you will see the toronto fc game.

Waggy
09-24-2011, 08:37 PM
AAAARRRRRGGGHHH WHY? Rest for tues!

Toronto FC
#TorontoFC XI: Frei; Eckersley, Harden, Iro, Morgan; de Guzman, Frings, Avila; Soolsma, Koevermans, Johnson .. #TFC #MLS

ArmenJBX
09-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I count 8 players who should have been rested :/

rocker
09-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Toronto FC
#TorontoFC XI: Frei; Eckersley, Harden, Iro, Morgan; de Guzman, Frings, Avila; Soolsma, Koevermans, Johnson .. #TFC #MLS

arrgghhhh... Johnson looked dead in the Tauro game...

Combine tired starters with the absence of Frings and we're in big trouble on Tuesday. A rested set of starters and Frings in the lineup wouldn't be a guaranteed win against Pumas, but it would at least give us a good shot. It's extremely hard to play in both competitions with the same starting 11. :(

rocktml
09-24-2011, 08:54 PM
De fucking RO!!! Another 3 goal game. MVP!!!

Worse trade in historyyyyyy

Auzzy
09-24-2011, 08:55 PM
^ Huh??? Wrong thread, wrong time perhaps?

rocker
09-24-2011, 08:59 PM
De fucking RO!!! Another 3 goal game. MVP!!!

Worse trade in historyyyyyy

Yeah, why would anybody trade De Ro for Dax McCarty?? ;)

ManUtd4ever
09-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Toronto FC

Ugh. At the very least, I hope JDG, Koevs, and Johnson are subbed off early.

mowe
09-24-2011, 09:12 PM
#TorontoFC (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23TorontoFC) XI: Frei; Eckersley, Harden, Iro, Morgan; de Guzman, Frings, Avila; Soolsma, Koevermans, Johnson .. #TFC (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC) #MLS (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS)

Winter predictably goes with a first-choice lineup. Damn.

This is the first TFC game I'm not excited about. For the first time I don't really care if TFC wins. We really just needed to put ourselves in the best position to win against Pumas. Playing Koevermans, De Guzman, Eckersley, and Johnson doesn't do that. Damn late season wins delaying our mathematical elimination from the playoffs!

Waggy
09-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I fucking hope Winter knows what he's doing. I'm pulling for a win, but a quick exit for JDG/Koevs seems essential imo. And have to save a sub too in case Frei isn't quite match fit yet too. I generally trust Winters decisions, but this baffles me. Why not have JDG/Koevs as subs and bring em in in the 60th or so if he insists on playing them? I'd rather have them at the end then the beginning. I guess the hope is build a lead early then sit on it. I look for both those guys to either be subbed at the half or after TFC scores (assuming we score)

Pookie
09-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, why would anybody trade De Ro for Dax McCarty?? ;)

I wonder if DeRo will ever be considered as good as Jeff Cunningham?

Alonso
09-24-2011, 09:23 PM
arrgghhhh... Johnson looked dead in the Tauro game...

Combine tired starters with the absence of Frings and we're in big trouble on Tuesday. A rested set of starters and Frings in the lineup wouldn't be a guaranteed win against Pumas, but it would at least give us a good shot. It's extremely hard to play in both competitions with the same starting 11. :(

Frings can't play vs Pumas anyway because of yellow card accumulation.

Canary10
09-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Football's a game of form. I'm glad he's trying to keep it going. Willing to bet Plata is ready for Tuesday. Frings and Avila are out next game, JDG sat most of the last game, nice to see Frei back in. Might not necessarily be a case of overplaying players.

ArmenJBX
09-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Plata's out for 3-4 weeks, no chance of being back for tuesday

Alonso
09-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Football's a game of form. I'm glad he's trying to keep it going. Willing to bet Plata is ready for Tuesday. Frings and Avila are out next game, JDG sat most of the last game, nice to see Frei back in. Might not necessarily be a case of overplaying players.

Exactly, but Plata is probably no go for Tuesday. That would be a pleasant surprise though.

Auzzy
09-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Game thread now open.

Alonso
09-24-2011, 09:30 PM
No chat box today?

JuliquE
09-24-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.justin.tv/cholillo_830#/w/1813332032/6