PDA

View Full Version : Post game: TFC vs Tauro

Oldtimer
09-20-2011, 09:01 PM
discuss

Yohan
09-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Win is a win. A bit lucky on Koevermans goal but really should have bossed around Tauro more. Really missed Avila and Plata, though Soolsma has really stepped up

Suds
09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
overall a decent performance .. would have liked to have seen a bit better decisions in the attacking third

Morgan had a great game.

ArmenJBX
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Ashtone. Morgan. :D

mowe
09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Too close for comfort. TFC had no business sitting on the 1-0 lead like that. But a much-needed 3 points.

TorCanSoc
09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Last 20 minutes almost hoof'n pray defending circa 2007 for us. Why can't we possess and widen the field when in the lead?

Juanito
09-20-2011, 09:07 PM
It's going to set up a wild match against Pumas next week!!

Suds
09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
^^
So is the best scenario for us a Dallas win tomorrow night?

Oldtimer
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Giving up a free kick in the last minute just outside the box was very poor and could have cost TFC 2 points.

Not the best game they've played, but a wins a win.

Winter's strategy and formation were good this match. Putting on early pressure really affected Tauro, it looked like they never quite hit their stride. Frings as combination MF/Sweeper and moving between 4-3-3 and 5-4-1 (it looked like) worked very well.

Oldtimer
09-20-2011, 09:13 PM
^^
So is the best scenario for us a Dallas win tomorrow night?

Seems like. If they beat Pumas and Tauro, then they will already be in when they play TFC. So that makes tomorrow's game something to follow.

LesH
09-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I couldn't watch the game, just got home, I read in 10 mins the game thread.

Just an unconvincing and lucky 1-0 with a semi-amateur, poor team?
And the majority of you seem happy enough just because of the 3 points?

Holy smokes, there are some incredible low expectations from TFC.
But whatever... :rolleyes:

maninb
09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
The Good...Koev, Eck, Morgan, Harden

The Bad...Dunfield(didn't win anything)...Soolsma (how many bad balls can he can send in...even his corners were BRUTAL...and man is he SLOW)

Oldtimer

That "poor" team tied Dallas and Pumas. Seems like today's match wasn't the only one you missed. ;)

Juanito
Seems like. If they beat Pumas and Tauro, then they will already be in when they play TFC. So that makes tomorrow's game something to follow.

I think so. A win by Dallas is the best scenario, next to a draw. Pumas winning is the worst scenario for sure.

Yohan
09-20-2011, 09:15 PM

you do realize that Tauro drew both Dallas away and down ten men for most of the game vs Pumas at home (you know, two teams that TFC shit the bed against)

Tauro played very well, esp in 2nd half

Stouffville_RPB
Thoughts:
Great to get a win.
Frings is everywhere.
Koevermans is the striker we waited so long for.
Morgan is our long term answer to LB.
Still need a CB.
When we want to play we can play some nice football but old habits die hard.
RJ Broadhead should never call another soccer game...EVER.
Kara Lang is still hot.

Kevvv
A semi-amateur poor team that held Dallas and Pumas to a draw. Yep, that's the team we beat. Again.

lobo
09-20-2011, 09:16 PM

and you seem to have some incredibly high expectations of us if you expect we would not be happy enough with 3 pts

LesH
09-20-2011, 09:17 PM
That "poor" team tied Dallas and Pumas. Seems like today's match wasn't the only one you missed. ;)

I know that, the Pumas game was a fluke, they fielded the kids, and Dallas had a ton of missed chances.
So what you were saying again?

Kevvv
09-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Thoughts:
Great to get a win.
Frings is everywhere.
Koevermans is the striker we waited so long for.
Morgan is our long term answer to LB.
Still need a CB.
When we want to play we can play some nice football but old habits die hard.
RJ Broadhead should never call another soccer game...EVER.
Kara Lang is still hot.

Agree on all points. One more - Kara Lang makes Andi Petrillo look like Tom Brokaw.

Oldtimer
09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
I know that, the Pumas game was a fluke, they fielded the kids, and Dallas had a ton of missed chances.
So what you were saying again?

Why don't you watch the game in 6 before you rain on the parade? And also watch the Tauro v. Dallas highlights on the CONCACAF website. They have been an under-rated team.

LesH
09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
you do realize that Tauro drew both Dallas away and down ten men for most of the game vs Pumas at home (you know, two teams that TFC shit the bed against)

Tauro played very well, esp in 2nd half

OK, this changes everything.
Thanks for this info - I never read from anyone in the game thread or here that Tauro played well.

Suds
09-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Why don't you watch the game in 6 before you rain on the parade? And also watch the Tauro v. Dallas highlights on the CONCACAF website. They have been an under-rated team.

But why?? Let's just get the negativity going right after a win and shit on anyone who thinks the slightest thing was positive about the game! Wooooo Hoooooo!!!

Seriously, LesH. Shit day at the office?

PopePouri
09-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Ashtone Morgan.

maninb
09-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Hey we won....they had NOTHING on net...so why the negativity??? Sure we should have had a few more goals, but Johnson and Soolsma were rubbish in sending anything decent into the box..

maninb
09-20-2011, 09:33 PM
PS...If we manage to keep Eck, and Morgan keeps developing we're SOLID at RB/LB for years to come...

ManUtd4ever
09-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Tauro tied Pumas and Dallas on their own turf, so I'll gladly take the victory. TFC didn't play to their potential, but the backline kept a clean sheet, and didn't force Kocic to make any difficult saves. Eckersley, Morgan, Frings, and Koevermans were fantastic tonight, and everyone else put in a workmanlike effort to preserve three crucial points.

I will definitely be rooting for the Hoops tomorrow against Pumas.

Nerepis
09-20-2011, 09:34 PM
But why?? Let's just get the negativity going right after a win and shit on anyone who thinks the slightest thing was positive about the game! Wooooo Hoooooo!!!

Seriously, LesH. Shit day at the office?

+1

Three points good, negativity bad:picard:

Canary10
09-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Tauro is a decent side. I was surprised.

ArmenJBX
09-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Ohhhh Danny Koevermans! Danny Koevermans, Danny Koevermans, Danny Koevermaaaaans!

Canary10
09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Btw, we better be prepared to lose Morgan at some point because he's heading to Europe eventually.

Waggy
09-20-2011, 09:46 PM
First game I've been to in 2 years, that was a fucking blast. I forgot how much fun it is to sing/chant/scream/jump the team on to a win. Last few minutes were nerveracking, and I expected us to take the game to the fake TFC more, esp in the 2nd half, but a win is a win. Thought Morgan and Frings were great, thought Danny looked good (obviously). Crowd was into the game, loved the chipiness at the half and a bit in the 2nd. Dunno about some of the fouls Tauro drew, they were dropping before the ball or tfc guy got to them a bunch of times (I'm sure on tv you guys could see it). All in all though, great night out. Took 3 people to their first tfc games and all would return. Successful night

ManUtd4ever
09-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Btw, we better be prepared to lose Morgan at some point because he's heading to Europe eventually.

Easy there, lol. Morgan is making a solid case for himself to be the starting LB next season though. Not too shabby for an original TFC Academy product.

Canary Canuck
09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
I knew I recognized Tauro's Luis Moreno from somewhere. Then it hit me. He's the guy who kicked an owl to death in a Colombian league game.

AtyCvFIZxWc

ArmenJBX
09-20-2011, 09:52 PM
WOW :O I wonder if he was carded for that? :D

Canary10
09-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I'd put money on it. Sucks for us but will be good for Canada. He's an excellent left back and only 18 or whatever? He's insanely good for his age.

Yohan
09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
he's 20 and he's had a few good games... let's see him put together a good year first

PopePouri
09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Easy there, lol. Morgan is making a solid case for himself to be the starting LB next season though. Not too shabby for an original TFC Academy product.

I remember his debut. Over the entire year, I couldn't think of a game that Garcia played better or just as well.

ManUtd4ever
09-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I knew I recognized Tauro's Luis Moreno from somewhere. Then it hit me. He's the guy who kicked an owl to death in a Colombian league game.

AtyCvFIZxWc

Brutal. Now I wish Koevermans punched him in the face at halftime when he had the chance. :D

flambe
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
And the kicker was (no pun intended) that the owl was the opposing teams mascot!

Douchebaggery.

billyfly
09-20-2011, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=Canary Canuck;1381318]I knew I recognized Tauro's Luis Moreno from somewhere. Then it hit me. He's the guy who kicked an owl to death in a Colombian league game.

AtyCvFIZxWc[/QUOTE

Wow.

T-boy
09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
That was a poor game in my opinion. Either Tauro are a much better team than we thought, or TFC conceded a lot of the play and were very poor.

I thought we were particularly poor in the final third tonight. Johnson was awful tonight, actually! Where was his movement off the ball?! He didn't seem at the races at all tonight! I would have taken him off instead of Koev, at least Koev has some strength about him. Johnson seemed intent on going backwards and not running for the ball.

Eckersley was TFC's best player again. Man, next season is going to be difficult if we lose Ecks and Plata!

We need to start killing teams off at home, not going into the lead then conceding the play. We need to be more urgent, get struck in and create some chances...not sit on our heels and invite the opposition to attack us!

If we play like that next week, Pumas will score another 4 against us!

I know a win is a win...but we must be really easy supporters to please if we are satisfied after that struggle of a win!

Auzzy
09-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Giving up a free kick in the last minute just outside the box was very poor and could have cost TFC 2 points.

Winter's strategy and formation were good this match. Putting on early pressure really affected Tauro, it looked like they never quite hit their stride. Frings as combination MF/Sweeper and moving between 4-3-3 and 5-4-1 (it looked like) worked very well.

That wasn't "giving up a free kick" IMO. That was Vaughn gifting an unbelievably soft call to Tauro, the worst among many head-scratcher calls he did all night. Stinson clearly got the ball cleanly, and the Tauro player tripped over Stinson's foot after Stinson had already kicked the ball away about 20 feet.

The first 30 minutes or so were great by TFC, but they really needed to put away a couple more chances. (Made things way too nervy towards the end.) After that, Tauro really turned up the tempo, and many of their players had speed to burn. Tonight's TFC lineup is decent against a team with tempo, especially in defense.

Unfortunately TFC just kind of withered away after that, and couldn't maintain any decent possession. Marosevic was very poor I thought, often held the ball way too long or had poor touches, too many turnovers. He should have been subbed out way earlier. And a few other players just looked completely gassed in the 2nd half, like Johnson.

With all that, I'm very happy to say that our defense won us a game for a change, with significant help from the Koef of course!

Yohan
09-20-2011, 10:54 PM
TFC record since July 27 in all competitions
7 wins 3 draws 3 losses

rocker
09-20-2011, 11:05 PM
I didn't think they played that great... but they played well enough and did what they had to do. It's wonderful to finally have a real striker in the Post-Dichio era.

I agree with the comment above about Johnson -- he wasn't running at all. There was one point, right in front of me in the north west corner, when Frings had the ball and was yelling at Johnson to run past the defender (so was the whole crowd there) so Frings could send him and he just wouldn't run. Later, there were a number of similar moments. Was he tired? Nagging injury? I dunno. But it was strange... he's pretty fast.

On Morgan -- I think he's still better on offense than defense. He gets nervous sometimes and makes rash decisions, when he has time and space. I like his acceleration and quickness. But late in the game him and Iro were getting nervous and just hoofing the ball downfield. I think our late-game switch to that style is a product of the inexperience of Morgan and the lack of any ball skill on the part of Iro (and Harden isn't much better in that regard). Eckersley is the only defender who doesn't crack under pressure and hoof the ball away at every opportunity when it's late and close.

Anyways, nice to win even though the team didn't play to its total potential -- quite a difference from the old days.

TFC07
09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
I was at game tonight and I must say TFC needs to shoot the ball more from distance instead of passing to wing and crossing the ball in all the time.

TFC had some bright moments with their passing in midfield tonight. Hopefully they can do it 90 mins not just in belief moments in a game. Also midfield at times take forever to pass out and/or take too many touches before passing to wing or sending a through ball to our forwards. This needs to improve.

Morgan is decent, but the next step for him is to beat his man (dribble pass his man instead trying to outrun his man) when he's up front at wing.

Soolsma is too slow and nonathletic.

Danny K had a quiet game besides his goal. If wasn't for his goal, I highly doubt people would have realize he was in the game from the stands.

Eck = beast! Best RB we ever had in our history!

Ref was awful, but what do we except from CONCACAF? lol

TFC crowd was really into this game tonight! Kudos to all fans at the game. :scarf:

Huyton
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
And the kicker was (no pun intended) that the owl was the opposing teams mascot!

Douchebaggery.

Shoulda set Bitchy on him.

Shakes McQueen
09-20-2011, 11:25 PM
OK, this changes everything.
Thanks for this info - I never read from anyone in the game thread or here that Tauro played well.

The fuck is your problem? You come in here shitting all over everyone's "lowered expectations" because we are happy we won, then when someone points out this Tauro team also played well against Dallas and Pumas, your amazing, facile response is to chalk those up to "a fluke and a bunch of missed chances".

We needed three points. We got three points. People are happy we got three points.

- Scott

Joe Kool
09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Johnson looked pretty damn tired tonight...he didn't want to run at anyone 1-on-1 and just looked to cross even when he was in the box. Hope he is able to recover for Saturday. He can be a difference maker in the game.

Supporter section sounded great tonight. Good job folks.

eustacchio
09-20-2011, 11:40 PM
I didn't realize that he was the owl-kicker.

I kind of wish I had. I'm kind of glad I didn't.

TFCREDNWHITE
09-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm happy we got the much needed 3pts! God, did we ever neeed this win....

I was walking on eggshells for huge portions of this match though...

WestStandGeoff
09-20-2011, 11:58 PM
I remember his debut. Over the entire year, I couldn't think of a game that Garcia played better or just as well.

Please don't use Nick Garcia as a standard to compare anyone to.

bman27
09-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I have one phrase to sum up the evening:

who wants beef?

Glad to see the 3pts, hoping for the best out of dallas tomorrow!

eustacchio
09-21-2011, 12:18 AM
I have one phrase to sum up the evening:

who wants beef?

Glad to see the 3pts, hoping for the best out of dallas tomorrow!

Did someone actually knock that cow over? Did I see that?

DichioTFC
09-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Please don't use Nick Garcia as a standard to compare anyone to.

Nick Garcia > Andy Iro.

Thoughts about the game, we held an underrated team to 1-nil. Neither encouraged nor discouraged. On to the next one. Here's hoping the strongest team in the tournament shits the bed in back-to-back games.

Sidenote: was in 117, row 2 tonight. Yourass half-assed mid-game warm-ups, mouthed off to the training coach, walked through it and was talking to anyone who would listen. No idea why he was subbed on but after watching that shit, I hope he's the first one gone this off-season.

bman27
09-21-2011, 12:20 AM

all i remember seeing from 111 is the cow standing there at one point, i turn back to the game, look back and he had been tipped what looked to be right over the railing.

DichioTFC
09-21-2011, 12:20 AM

If Kocic nails the cow with the ball on his clearance, he would've become a legend. So close, yet so far.

dupont
09-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Great game tonight! We could have performed better but they are a dirty and tricky team that I'm happy to get 3 points against. It's hard to be mad at TFC right now after the amazing turnaround this season has taken. It's become fun to watch them play and I'm genuinely excited for next season with these players!

boozilla
09-21-2011, 12:24 AM
If Kocic nails the cow with the ball on his clearance, he would've become a legend. So close, yet so far.

Frei would have hit it. Hope he's back soon.

eustacchio
09-21-2011, 12:25 AM
so funny, but so not funny.

TheFallen
09-21-2011, 12:30 AM
so what does this mean for TFC with this win in CONCAFF?

DichioTFC
09-21-2011, 12:35 AM
^ for CONCACAF? It means there's still a chance we can make history.

If FC Dallas gets a result against Pumas, we'll stay in 2nd. If we draw Pumas at home and beat Dallas, we will make it to the next round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%9312_CONCACAF_Champions_League#Group_C

TheFallen
09-21-2011, 12:38 AM
sounds like we still have a long ways to go but the results have been positive.

Ossington Mental Youth
09-21-2011, 07:41 AM
yeah not the prettiest or most convincing win but a win none the less. Agreed that Morgan is better going forward than back but i believe theres still time to teach him how to do that. Also Im not sure whats up with Johnson but he didnt seem himself, he had a clear shot at one point and decided to pass it to Danny Koef. It was intercepted by a Tauro player. Regardless, ill def take the 3 points. Hope Dallas does some damage tonight and we can do some next week.

Oldtimer
09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Nick Garcia in 2004 > Andy Iro.

FYP :)

I think you're forgetting how slow ol' Nick was by the time he got to us. It was generous for Mo to give a job to his buddy. He once was a decent defender, but he should of hung up his boots long before he got to TFC.

Captain
09-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Kudos to the guy who waved the TFC flag with the bull. It was done in good spirit and he thanked the 'bull' afterwards. To the guy who deflated the bull, your an ass.

flatpicker
09-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Someone deflated the bull?
Toronto won! People should be thinking "yay!"
Not, let's vandalize the other team's mascot.
Stupid.

zamperina
09-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Someone deflated the bull?
Toronto won! People should be thinking "yay!"
Not, let's vandalize the other team's mascot.
Stupid.

Ya some guy was jumping for joy because he deflated the bull....loser!

maninb
09-21-2011, 08:04 AM
FYP :)

I think you're forgetting how slow ol' Nick was by the time he got to us. It was generous for Mo to give a job to his buddy. He once was a decent defender, but he should of hung up his boots long before he got to TFC.

EXACTLY!!! The only reason Garcia saw the pitch is because he was good buddies with MJ from their KC days...He was also Mo's RAT in the dressing room which is why his teammates hated him...

__wowza
09-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Ohhhh Danny Koevermans! Danny Koevermans, Danny Koevermans, Danny Koevermaaaaans!

oi, pipe down you!!
geeez, just because you're on the TFC website doesn't mean youre famous enough to change the words to 24 ;)

TFC_Junky
09-21-2011, 08:27 AM
I don't want to harp on a win but man we need Plata back... Soolsma is soooo bloody slow and his first touches are horrible. Great performance from Morgan and Ecks tonight!

__wowza
09-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Nick Garcia > Andy Iro.

i saw an interesting fact somewhere that said nick garcia had the longest goal drought in league history. he played something like 10 years before ever scoring in the MLS.

trane
09-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Playing Frings in a CDM/Sweeper role allowing him to move up, is something that I had been hopeing to see for while. I am pleasently suprised that Winter has adopted it.

eustacchio
09-21-2011, 09:50 AM
i saw an interesting fact somewhere that said nick garcia had the longest goal drought in league history. he played something like 10 years before ever scoring in the MLS.

I guess that doesn't include own goals.

T-boy
09-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I'll be fair to Winter, I've been moaning that he won't budge from the 4-3-3 format, but he has in the last two games, and its worked.

I'm hoping that this is showing that Winter is still developing as a head coach, which is good.

Yohan
09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/.a/6a00e54ef2975b883301543598844f970c-400wi

FreekAce
09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
I'll be fair to Winter, I've been moaning that he won't budge from the 4-3-3 format, but he has in the last two games, and its worked.

I'm hoping that this is showing that Winter is still developing as a head coach, which is good.

not sure if it had to do with developing as a coach. doubt he never heard of a different formation before coming here. i believe winter was so adament about the 4-3-3 to hammer it into the players heads. get the basics in, then switch to different tactics when needed, at a point where players were comfertable doing so. having to teach a new concept is difficult enough without throwing things around. also having players with a better understanding and tactical awareness of the game will make that easier. all part of the rebuild this season. my 2c.

09-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Can we please play NO ONE at Chivas?

Thanks. :)

jloome
09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
We're still playing the 433, it's a just a variant where the central midfielder drops back as a sweeper when a fullback is upfield. So fullbacks can also act as wingbacks, basically.

Peri Marosevic was pretty impressive last night. He misfired on a few passes but that had more to do with good defence on the plays in question.

UltraSuperMegaMo
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Did anyone else see Yourassowsky shoot one of the Tauro players with his water bottle while warming up?

Number Nine
09-21-2011, 12:30 PM
That bicycle kick away from our corner flag by Eckersley was fucking epic.

Still Kicking
09-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Yes. I saw the water. I forget which Tauro player got wet. It was while he was walking away. He did not seem to react or turn around to see who did it.

ManUtd4ever
09-21-2011, 12:36 PM

Yes, it certainly was.

Still Kicking
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
We're still playing the 433, it's a just a variant where the central midfielder drops back as a sweeper when a fullback is upfield. So fullbacks can also act as wingbacks, basically.

Peri Marosevic was pretty impressive last night. He misfired on a few passes but that had more to do with good defence on the plays in question.

Not able to agree with pretty impressive for Marosevic, he showed energy and some speed, but I guess those misfired passes had me thinking he was fighting the ball most of the night.

I feel that when we play with 3 in the midfield it often turns into a case of 2 against the world. To stretch the defenders one or two players stay off on the other side of the pitch and make it easy for the other team to cut off attackers.

denime
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Winter did not change anything,we are still playing 4-3-3,only difference is that last two game we played with "point back" 4-1-2-3 and 4-1-2-2-1 both systems are still 4-3-3.

Every time Morgan pushed forward they last 3 and def.mid would shift to the left and tuck in to cover the empty space,same was with Eckersley side.

Winter is sticking to 4-3-3 no matter what,and I like it.

T-boy
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Winter did not change anything,we are still playing 4-3-3,only difference is that last two game we played with "point back" 4-1-2-3 and 4-1-2-2-1 both systems are still 4-3-3.

Every time Morgan pushed forward they last 3 and def.mid would shift to the left and tuck in to cover the empty space,same was with Eckersley side.

I'd definitely call last nights formation 5-3-2 with Frings as the sweeper between the two centre backs. You could never call that 4 at the back last night!

Ageroo
09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Did anyone else see Yourassowsky shoot one of the Tauro players with his water bottle while warming up?

Yes. I saw the water. I forget which Tauro player got wet. It was while he was walking away. He did not seem to react or turn around to see who did it.

I didn't see that at all....but I was laughing at one point when Tauro had a corner and all the subs were basically standing right by the flag. The linesman kept telling them to move and no one budged. JDG didn't even stop and kept doing leg kick stretches while the guy was setting up....It was pretty funny..(ok, maybe just to me) :D

19Barrett19
09-21-2011, 12:48 PM
He will be able to play after the group stage is over ... if we advance to the knockout stage.... called phase 3 of Concacaf Champions League (CCL).

here's why...

5.2 Teams will be able to inscribe a second Roster List consisting of a maximum of
30 players (30-player List) no later than seven (7) days prior to their first
match, at the start of the Phase 3: the Championship Stage, for the purposes of
participating in the remainder of the CCL season.

Oldtimer
09-21-2011, 01:09 PM

not sure if it had to do with developing as a coach. doubt he never heard of a different formation before coming here. i believe winter was so adament about the 4-3-3 to hammer it into the players heads. get the basics in, then switch to different tactics when needed, at a point where players were comfertable doing so. having to teach a new concept is difficult enough without throwing things around. also having players with a better understanding and tactical awareness of the game will make that easier. all part of the rebuild this season. my 2c.

It's conjecture at this point whether it is the players developing, or the coach. Either way, it's good to see, and gives me a lot more confidence going forward.

I think I saw 4-3-3, 5-2-3, and 5-4-1 (which I guess you could see as 4-1-2-2-1), all in the space of a single match. All are variants of the same system, yet have different strengths. It was great to see the fluidity in switching between them. That fluidity makes the team much less predictable and harder to beat.

PopePouri
09-21-2011, 01:24 PM
It's conjecture at this point whether it is the players developing, or the coach. Either way, it's good to see, and gives me a lot more confidence going forward.

I think I saw 4-3-3, 5-2-3, and 5-4-1, all in the space of a single match. All are variants of the same system, yet have different strengths. It was great to see the fluidity in switching between them. That fluidity makes the team much less predictable and harder to beat.

I saw this too. Frings had the freedom to push forward at times making it a traditional 4-3-3 but most of the time they were playing 3-4-3 or 5-2-3 or whatever you want to call it.

And it's not like Frings can't adjust to more CB role. He was exceptional last night in defense and in the air. It's truly a luxury.

CSO_BBTB
09-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Winter even clarified this point in his press conference after the Colorado game when asked about the formation, for what it's worth. All that has changed recently is a move away from usually using a 4-2-1-3 point forward over to using 4-1-2-3 point back now there's a player (i.e. Frings) available to make it work. With better central defenders we'd be seeing Frings pushing further forward more.

TorontoPat
09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I thought we were the better team so the win was well deserved. Eckersley played all out all game, displaying great foot work and passing as did Borman. It appears we wait too long to pass the ball ahead or not even make the pass, nullifying what could have been two more solid scoring chances.

Crowd size was very poor considering the rainout tickets that were given away for this game. Next game may well have the smallest attendance of any game this year.

T-boy
09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I thought we were the better team so the win was well deserved. Eckersley played all out all game, displaying great foot work and passing as did Borman. It appears we wait too long to pass the ball ahead or not even make the pass, nullifying what could have been two more solid scoring chances.

Crowd size was very poor considering the rainout tickets that were given away for this game. Next game may well have the smallest attendance of any game this year.

I thought Toronto played poorly. And I think it proves that you were watching a completely different game to me as Borman didn't play in the one I watched! haha :p

TorontoPat
09-21-2011, 03:46 PM
I thought Toronto played poorly. And I think it proves that you were watching a completely different game to me as Borman didn't play in the one I watched! haha :p
Morgan:facepalm:

J .
09-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Definitely think that when our backs play strong, the team gets wins. I couldnt quantify that but its seems that at least the past few weeks, Morgan can be influential as a left back. Hopefully they can arrange a deal for Eckersley and solidify those two positions which have been a revolving door. Its clear Frings is the backbone of this team. I think he has been a fantastic DP signing. I think DK will be better next year, hes been playing well, but I think theres more to him, which would be pretty awesome.

Toronto needs to put together a much better effort against Pumas as their last encounter was disastrous. It will be a very good test for the team.

jazzy
09-21-2011, 06:46 PM

this was right in front of me..and I'm still in shock,..he's so cocky and I'll take that every day on my team....heart!!! Eck's never panics when a opposing player is trapping him, he relish's it. Thats called attitude!